Book 1: The Three of Us

By frog_rainfall

Non-Massacre AU Kisame is still a rouge shinobi *** A story of three people from different walks of life fi... More

Chapter 1: Moving Forward When at Your Lowest
Chapter 2: Trapped in Your Own Mind
Chapter 3: Choseing Which Side of the War to Fight On
Chapter 4: How One Moment Can Change Your Life Forever
Chapter 5: Being the Witness of Something Terrible
Chapter 6: News That Changes Your World
Chapter 7: When You Say Yes and Don't Realize the Path it Will Take You On
Chapter 8: Reciting Poetry Below the Setting Sun
Chapter 9: Stepping on a Path Towards Your Destiny Without Realizing It
Chapter 10: Finally Learning to Let Yourself Rest
Chapter 11: The Sacred Flower of the Temple
Chapter 12: Finishing the Mission
Chapter 13: Apprehension of Something to Come
Chapter 14: A Word Stuck at the Tip of Your Tongue
Chapter 15: Finally Falling Apart
Chapter 16: Curiosity Killed the Cat
Chapter 17: We Finally Meet
Chapter 18: Green Sweaters and Warm Sun
Chapter 20: Terrified it's Nothing More Than a Dream
Chapter 21: Anyone Can be a Teacher
Chapter 22: Enemies Becoming Allies
Chapter 23: One Foot Out The Door
Chapter 24: Protecting Someone From a Painful Burden
Chapter 25: When You're Desensitized to What is Socially Acceptable
Chapter 26: O ka Shaakฬฒ
Chapter 27: Uno and Onsens
Chapter 28: The Chaos Created by Sakura and Kisame
Chapter 29: Bets and Bragging Rights
Chapter 30: Sometimes Things Going Wrong Can be For The Best
Chapter 31: Conflict on The Rise
Chapter 32: Beads of Shell and Bone
Chapter 33: Poison and Pain
Chapter 34: One Life For Another
Chapter 35: Tle Tleix Ixsixรกn
Chapter 36: Happiness Looks Good On You
Chapter 37: Fish Man & Snake Lady
Chapter 38: A Brief Moment of Calm
Chapter 39: Truth Comes to Light
Chapter 40: Keeping A Promise
Update From The Author
Up Next

Chapter 19: Culture Shocks are a Strange Thing

96 7 0
By frog_rainfall

It was odd, watching the man before me. Right in front of me was none other than Kisame Hoshigaki, one of the strongest shinobi in the world. It was strange to meet someone that for so long was just another name in the bingo book. A light smile adorned his face as Tsunade-sama introduced him, and an almost gentle look brushed across his face before quickly disappearing. It was easy to alienate others in this world, to think of anyone not from your village as nothing more than an evil enemy. But seeing him reminded me of the complexity of the world.

That apprehension that had been following me around for a while now had faded the moment I looked at Hoshigaki. Silently checking in with Sakura, I could tell she felt it too. Having the three of us together felt like the world finally clicked into place, as if everything was as it should be.

Standing up, I give Hoshigaki a light bow, giving him a grateful smile when I look back up at him, "Thank you, Hoshigaki-san. I'll forever be grateful to you."

I could tell the man before me was unused to such praise, he shifted slightly, not knowing how to accept it. His once confident demeanor falters slightly before righting itself, "Call me Kisame. Hoshigaki is way too formal." His voice had a light and unfamiliar accent to it, the way he pronounced 'k's had almost a click sound to it.

"Kisame-san, I owe you a debt."

"You can repay it by letting me get to know you and Sakura-san," he looks towards Tsunade for confirmation, clearly unsure if it was okay, "Only, of course, if it's okay with your Hokage."

Tsunade let's out an exasperated sigh, "Fine. Consider it part of your payment."

A mischievous look makes its way onto Kisame's face and he leans towards Tsunade, "You could make the official payment by making me a protected asset of the village."

Tsunade gives the man a look, something of mild dread but also one of understanding, "Fine. But only because the person currently trying to kill you could possibly be a rouge from my village."

Sakura and I give each other a look, clearly knowing we're out of the loop on something important. We both turn towards Tsunade, the same curious look on our face. Catching our look, Tsunade massages her forehead, a headache forming from this crazy series of advents, "To put it simply, this idiot pissed off some dude in the Akatsuki, possibly a shinobi that we thought was dead from our village, and now has the anger of a batshit crazy guy focused on him."

Both Sakura and I tense up slightly at the mention of the Akatsuki. They had attempted to take Naruto once before, and I'd been on missions that bordered on impossible because of that organization. Almost anyone that has crossed path with anyone involved in the Akatsuki has ended up dead. Kisame was lucky to still be alive and I'd make sure he stays that way. Sakura and I share another look, the same thought going through our mind.

The sun was beginning to set and the temperature was quickly starting to cool off. I shiver, not able to keep as warm as I used to. "It's getting late. I'd be happy to offer Kisame-san to stay at my house until other arrangements can be made."

Tsunade looks surprised at my offer, and Kisame practically glows with a mix of happy and smug. Tsunade looks between the three of us, measuring the risks and trying to figure out the reason behind this. Her shoulders slump forward slightly and she gives in, "Fine but I'm keeping an ANBU near by to monitor Hoshigaki at all times." Without even a goodbye, Tsunade walks off and quickly makes her way out of the compound.

Picking up my book and glasses, I make my way back into the house, Sakura and Kisame following not far behind. Stepping into the house, it's a lot warmer than outside and the tense cold leaves my body. We all slip off our shoes, and Kisame takes off the giant sword from his back and props it again the wall. He gives it a pat, like one would a pet and the sword purrs and chirps.

The sound spooks Sakura, making her turn around quickly to face the sword, "Please tell me I'm going crazy and that sword didn't just make a sound."

Kisame let's out a laugh, a grin lights up his face, showing off his shark like teeth, "It's name is Samihada. A sentient sword, so sorry to say but you're not crazy. It really did make a sound."

Sakura places her hand over her heart, "Dear Kami, that's gonna take some getting used to."

Turning towards the kitchen, I hide the smile that I can't stop from making its way across my face. I open the fridge and pull out leftovers to heat up for dinner. Joining me in the kitchen, the two observe what I'm doing, "I'm heating up some dinner. You two hungry?"

Kisame looks at the food, "Absolutely starving. It's been forever since I've had a real meal."

"Today has been exhausting and I completely forgot to eat lunch, my stomach feels like it's eating itself."

I give them both a look of worry and mild disappointment, "You two need to eat better." I make up two plates over flowing with rice, fish, green beans, and pickled beets. And make up one for myself that's smaller. I heat them all up in the microwave quickly and by the time they're done, the whole kitchen smells amazing.

We each grab our plates and make our way to the table. The three of us sit in silence, enjoying the food. I try my best to eat all the food, but I become nauseous and quickly loose my appetite. Half way through my plate I'm unable to eat any more. Kisame and Sakura are having no problem eating there food, shoveling it down so fast it makes me wonder if they're chewing at all. Seeing them enjoy the meal makes me smile.

Sakura looks at my plate, and frowns, "Are you getting nauseous again?" She stops eating to talk to me.

"Just the usual. Nothing to worry about."

"I'll go make you some tea," she says, and moves to get up.

I stand up before she can, holding onto the edge of the table when I get light headed, "It's fine, I can make it myself. Do any of you want some?"

Kisame watches the conversation between Sakura and myself, and I can tell he's unsure how to go about my illness. With the mention of tea, his attention is set solely on me, "I'd love some tea."

Sakura shrugs, "I guess I'll have some too."

It doesn't take long for me to steep the tea in the pot and bring it and three cups to the table. I set a cup in front of each of us, filling Kisame and Sakura's before my own. Once I'm done pouring the tea, I take a seat. I take in a deep breath, smelling the tea before taking a small sip. Looking back up, Sakura is sipping on her tea but Kisame is staring at the cup, a whole storm of emotions making its way across his face.

His face finally lands on something close to embarrassment, and what I'm assuming is a blush makes its way across his face, his blue skin making it challenging to tell. I stare at him, utterly confused at his reaction, "Uh, is something wrong?"

Kisame snaps out of whatever trance he was in and looks up at me, "Ah sorry, just a cultural difference that surprised me."

Sakura looks to Kisame, curious, "What sort of cultural difference?"

"Where I come from, the only time tea is poured at the table is during courtship. It's kind of like a marriage proposal," Kisame says, making it apparent that he very much so is embarrassed. 

Sakura lets out a laugh, and quickly slaps her hand over her mouth to get herself to stop, "I'm so sorry, that was an incredibly inappropriate reaction. I wasn't laughing at your culture. It just must of been such a shock to be bombarded with a marriage proposal out of the blue and I couldn't help but find that comical in a way."

A blush makes its way onto my face, and I hide my face with my hands, "Oh my gosh, I'm so embarrassed."

A grin crawls across Kisame's face, "There might be some culture shocks for both of us in the days to come. I was raised in a small village, in an incredibly traditional clan. A lot different than probably anything you've experienced."

I try my best to push aside the embarrassment, removing my head from its hiding place behind my hands, "I'd really enjoy learning more about your culture."

Sakura gives a sound of agreement, "Same here, I love learning about other cultures."

Kisame takes a moment to take in our responses, "I've never shared much about my culture with others, even after I moved to the mist village from my small village. And since I defected I never really had anyone to share it with. It'd be nice to share it with others."

***

Disclaimer: The tea courtship is something I completely made up for plot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 7.7K 53
"๐’ฎ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐“๐’พ๐“‹๐‘’๐“ˆ ๐’พ๐“ƒ ๐’น๐’ถ๐“Ž๐’น๐“‡๐‘’๐’ถ๐“‚๐“ˆ ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ ๐“‚๐‘’." New girl. Old boys. You know the drill. (Y/n) (l/n), the newest student at school mee...
19.6K 330 6
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto, any characters from Naruto, any other anime's referenced along with their respective characters. [THIS BOOK IS ON SE...
110K 4.1K 33
[A/N] UNEDITED!!!! bad grammar, punctuation, etc. I wrote this a really long time ago so please don't be harsh --- The usual Konaha gang had just gra...
4.9K 225 31
Itachi has always put Sasuke before everyone even the man he desperately loved. Kakashi always wondered why itachi killed his clan, why Itachi left w...