The Golden Emerald [#1]

By Slytherinwitch13

Scarlett Nyx didn't think life could get any better, or worse, for that matter. For eleven years she was trap... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Sequel Information

Chapter 3

22.5K 825 367
By Slytherinwitch13

Chapter Three

First Year

The next morning I was awaken by someone poking the side of my shoulder. "Carlie...Carlie...Carlie...WAKE UP!" And then my pillow was pulled out from underneath me. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Eowyn sitting on the edge of my bed. Her flaming red hair was tied up on the top of her head in  wild bun. Her wide green eyes staring at me. When she saw my eyes open she exclaimed, "Oh good! You're up!" Who wouldn't be awake after that wake up method? "I was getting worried! I thought you died!" She said with a chuckle. I laughed. She had way to much energy this early in the morning. I sat up straight and leaned against the dark backboard on my bed. "So. Classes begin today! Aren't you excited?" She stood up and began pacing back in front of my bed, rambling on about how she was going to wear her hair and talking about how she was hoping the boys would be cute.

"Where's Dasha?" I interrupted after glancing around the room. Dashas's bed was empty and neatly made.

"Oh Dasha's been up for hours! She's an early riser. She's probably already read every book in the library at this point." I slid out of my bed and got my clothes from the cabinet. "Oh!" Eowyn gasped looking at her watch. "Breakfast is just starting! Hurry up so we have time to eat!"

"It's fine, you can go on ahead. I'll meet you down there." I liked moving slowly in the morning. Being in a rush normally put me in a bad mood.

"Okay, I'll save you a seat!" Eowyn said and then skipped out of the door.

I got dressed and made my way down the breakfast. When I entered into the Great Hall it was already packed and a large majority of the food was gone. Breakfast was my favorite meal of the day so I was a little disappointed. I passed by Draco Malfoy who was smirking at me in an amused way. He raised his eyebrows knowingly. What was that about? I looked at him confused but shook it off. I began to make my way towards my friends. "Carlie!" I heard a voice yell. I turned to see that Jake was calling me. Stepping away from the Slytherin table I made my way over towards his, which apparently was a crime because everyone around me was staring at me. "What the hell happened last night?" He must have seen the confusion on my face. "I mean how did you get into Slytherin? I thought you were cool?" He joked with a laugh.

"I am cool," I joked back. "The hat told me I was snappy or something like that?"

"Oh, then no wonder you got into Slytherin." Jake laughed. Those same stupid girls were giving me evil looks again so I just ignored them. "But, I guess I can still consider you a friend, even though you're a Slytherin. I'll have to make an exception, as long as you promise not to turn to the dark side on me."

"Gee, thanks. I'll try not to turn evil on you," I joked, but was unable to hold back a smile. "Well, I should probably go eat before the food disappears."

"Alright, but wait which class do you have today?"

"Potions is my first class," I answered and Jake cringed.

"Well, good luck with that..." Jake said. "Although you'll probably be fine considering you're in Snape's house. He's always nice to the Slytherins."

"Let's hope." I smiled. "I'll see you around," I said and then walked back to my table. I noticed I already had some enemies, a few boys and girls from Slytherin whose names I didn't even know were glaring at me. What did I possibly do already? Oh well.

Soon everyone began leaving the Great Hall. Dasha was getting a bit anxious about not being early to her very first class. All I cared about was not being too late. Eowyn, Dasha, and I made our way down to potions through the long dungeon corridors. Home sweet home. "Guy's I'll just meet you there. I really have to go to the bathroom," I said.

"Alright, just don't be late. Especially not to Snape's class," Dasha warned me with a serious look on her face. I nodded and wandered off down the hall. Now where is this bathroom? This place was like a maze. It took me about ten minutes to find a bathroom. At this point I wasn't even sure if I would find the classroom on my own.  I started to walk down a few steps, when I noticed how pretty the lake looked from this view. I then slammed into somebody and my books went flying from my hands. "Sorry!" said a boy's voice. I only took one second for me to notice the lightning bolt scar on the boys head as he bent down to pick up one of my books.

"It's fine," I said as I bent down to get the rest of my stuff that was scattered on every step. "You're Harry Potter, aren't you?" He looked up and handed me the rest of my books.

"Er, yeah I am," Harry answered shyly. "What's your name?"

"Carlie Nyx," I answered him while organizing the papers that fell out from the books.

"You're in Slytherin?" Harry asked me curiously while glancing at the symbol on my robes.

"Yeah, I'm a first year. What house are you in?" I asked him.

"I'm in Gryffindor," Harry responded and then I realized it was right on his robes.

"Oh nice. So you know Jake, Cal, Nico, and Gabe?" Harry looked shocked at my response, he was probably waiting for me to make some kind of comment on him being in Gryffindor.

"Yeah, I do know them from Quidditch. How do you know them?" he asked me back.

"I met them on the train, they were my first friends." I laughed and then realized that I was actually close to the potions room. "Well, this is my stop. See you around," I said to Harry.

"Sure, see you around," Harry gave a soft smile and then rushed off.

I tried to slowly sneak into the classroom, luckily Snape's back was too the door and the door was wide open. So I rushed quietly over to a seat in the back, Eowyn and Dasha sighed with relief as they saw me. Snape turned around and his black eyes on me. How did he know? "You're late," he snapped. "Don't let it happen again." I thanked my lucky stars that I was in Slytherin, because I'm sure if I was in any other house Snape would have probably given me detention.

He went back to teaching the lesson, or lecture that is, he was explaining how potions could be more dangerous than spells. Eowyn and Dasha were mouthing 'Where were you?' to me. Apparently they had no idea what I was saying when I mouthed back. They both gave me confused looks. 

"I'll tell you later," I said just a little above a whisper. Snape turned back to look at me.

"Late and now you are disrupting my class," Snape sneered in an cold tone. Jake was right, he was really scary.

"Sorry," I managed to say quietly.

"Professor," he corrected. Snape slowly began making his way towards me. The entire class was staring at me. What a fantastic first impression I made. "What is your name?"

"Carlie Nyx...Professor," I responded looking up at him.

"Well I'd hate to deduct points from my own house. Detention instead," he said coldly. "Tomorrow night." I sighed angrily and looked back down at my book. Great, I got detention on my first day. Maybe my luck wasn't changing as much as I hoped.

Later on the afternoon I met up with Jake. "Wow. Detention on your first day? That's pretty impressive for a first year," Jake said as if it was some kind of accomplishment. "Although, my record was three on the first day. Took me a while to adjust to Snape's rules." Clearly Jake was over it because he was smiling at the thought. Maybe in time I would be able to look back and laugh at my first class as well...but now was not that time. We were walking up the stairs when it decided to change its path and my foot slipped, "Woo!" Jake yelled and grabbed the back of my robes pulling me onto the steps. "That would have been the second time I've seen you fall," he pointed out. Who would have thought putting moving stairs in a school full of children was a good idea?

"Tell me about it," I joked as we continued walking around together.

That night I was sitting in the common room and actually doing my homework because there was currently nothing better to do. I also didn't want to start off the school year too behind on my work. Someone sat down across from me. I looked up to see Draco Malfoy with the same knowingly look he had this morning. "What do you want?" I asked him annoyed. I looked back down at my book, hoping he would just go away.

"We need to have a chat," he responded smugly while holding a letter in his hand.

"Why would I want to chat with you?" I asked even more annoyed.

"Because," he said almost in a happy tone. "I could get you sent back home with just a letter to my father." I glanced up at the letter.

"What?" I asked angrily while looking at him. "You're lying," I responded.

"Not quite," he laughed. "I owled my father last night. Asking him if he knew anything about the Nyx Family, because I didn't believe you were actually a pureblood." I glared at him. Of course he would do something like that. "You see, my father is quite good friends with yours. They were talking the other day when your father told mine you were being sent to Hogwarts. He also told my father about all the trouble you cause them." He paused there just to make me even angrier. "Apparently you convinced them well enough to send you to Hogwarts. However, I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about bringing you home if you caused any problems here. I'm sure they wouldn't want to be embarrassed internationally." He laughed again. "I could easily send an owl to my father about how disruptive you are, how many problems you're causing already..."

"You wouldn't, that's completely a lie! I haven't caused any problems...yet," I yelled back. Okay, so maybe I did get one detention but that wasn't too big of a deal. I can't imagine being sent home. I'd be stuck in my room all day, far away from civilization.

"Then you're going to learn your place here," he said coolly. I rolled my eyes angrily.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

"Don't cross me again. When I say move, you better move. Do you understand?" I wanted so badly to reach out and smack him right across the face but, I bit my lip and nodded.

"Yeah," I muttered angrily refusing to glance up at him. Now I was just going to have to try and avoid him at all costs.

"Good," he said standing up. "Nice chatting with you then." He smirked and walked off. I held in the scream I wanted to let out. I threw my homework down onto the table. I'd just pick it up again in the morning, probably. I stormed up to dorm and slammed the door, making the beauty queens, Christina, Amelie, and Celina, glare up at me from their beds with some sort of gross brown goo smeared all over their faces. I probably would have made a comment about the mud on their face, but tonight I wasn't even in the mood for that. I fell down onto the canopy bed and closed the curtains around me, it was going to be a long year.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 2.9K 23
Harry potter is going to Hogwarts. But he's not the only one. He finds that he has a long lost sister. Follow her as she finds powers no one thought...
1.6K 41 23
This girl, Maddie, gets a job at the Malfoy Manor, but the Malfoys soon find out who see really is....
99.6K 2.2K 31
BOOK 1: After the tragedy of her mother's death, Kris Rogers had snapped. Now she is starting her sixth year at Hogwarts, returning after a long sum...
2.6K 73 52
What happens when a new Hufflepuff girl enters Draco Malfoy's life and helps him realize that the world doesn't revolve around him. What happens when...