Miss Morgan and the Gypsy

By LivingRed

Sherlock Holmes meets Pride and Prejudice in this bewitching and scintillating romance between an eccentric g... More

Prologue
One: A Most Intriguing Case
Two: By God
Three: Unforeseen Enemies
Four: Traitor?
Five: Prikaza: Nothing is an Accident
Six: Chindilan: Are You Fed Up, Weary?
Seven: We Are All Wanderers
Eight: A Trifle of Flirting
Ten: I Don't Have to Answer That
Eleven: How About a Game?
Twelve: Monisha
Thirteen: Claire?
Fourteen: The Interview
Fifteen: Truth vs. Sentiment
Sixteen: Imbeciles
Seventeen: The Message
Eighteen: Apprenticeship
Nineteen: The Case Begins

Nine: Dangerous

184 28 3
By LivingRed

Harriet stood frozen with her hand cupping her ear as it burned with scorching heat. It was highly uncomfortable, so she began fanning it, but that only seemed to add fuel to the fire. Sighing defeatedly, Harriet stopped and was perplexed. She did not know what to think of Nicu Rowe, but one thing was for sure.

He was dangerous.

When she had entered her room, he had looked like a sleek tom cat bathing in the sun that spilled through the window above the desk. That small golden hooped earning gleamed as if it was winking at her.

The man unnerved her greatly with his heavily lashed liquid gold eyes that seemed to see every little thought she hid in the deepest crevices of her soul. His wicked mouth had taunted her and bantered in ways that still made her flush. His words rang in her ears when his slender and towering sinewy male form had leaned in closer to her, carrying that appealing scent of old books and spiced tea leaves.

The sound of Kappi's paws hitting the floor stirred Harriet out of her thoughts. She watched as the furry coon darted out of the room in vigor like he had done something mischievous. With that in mind Harriet swiftly glided toward her bed hoping no animal feces were waiting for her there. Luckily there were none.

She turned back to the desk and sat down to begin finishing her correspondences to the parents. But as she began to write her mind drifted as she glanced over at her three remaining butterflies. Her fingers trailed up to the one perched between her ear and head and fiddled with it. Her eyes lost their focus and her dip pen slipped from her hand as Detective Rowe invaded her thoughts once again.

He was no gentleman.

Particularly with the way he dressed. His shirtsleeves had been rolled up, providing ample showing of his thickly roped forearms with sprinkles of dark hair, and his waistcoat had been unbuttoned as if he were relaxing in his study, not exploring an innocent maiden's room.

Her mind stored every little beastly thing about him, especially the tuffs of black ink that popped out of his open collar that showed off his swarthy throat. She didn't know what was hidden underneath his shirt and waistcoat and she didn't want to know... did she?

Harriet felt heat rise to her whole face and burn relentlessly at where her thoughts lead. Enough of this! She scolded herself, snatching her pen and dipping it in the dark liquid only to ruin the letter with a massive blot.

A soft knock cam and Esma entered with an amused expression. "I hope I'm not disturbing you."

Harriet smiled and shook her head in protest. "Not at all, I'm just finishing up letters to inform the parents of what has happened."

"I hope the room is to your satisfaction."

In the hours Harriet had gotten to familiarize herself with Marshwood castle and listened to Esma describe its rich history, she had fallen in love with the place. Her room was no exception with its large candlelit chandelier and red velvet wallpaper with diamond stars in a deep yellow. Elegant tapestries hung in separate parts of the room. The bed she was honored to sleep in was large with rich red silky sheets and the bedframe was a luxurious dark wood with engravings of birds on it and draped in deep yellow sheers.

But what Harriet enjoyed most of all was the company of Lady Esma Rathborne. She was spellbinding and made Harriet feel at ease. She had yet to meet Lord Rathborne, but the way Esma had spoken of him, Harriet was already intimidated. The enchanting woman had a way with describing people that Harriet wanted to learn for her storytelling.

"I was thinking about what we were talking about in the gallery." Esma sat on the bed and the elegant skirt she wore almost matched the bed's sheets.

Harriet put her writing utensil down and went to sit next to Esma giving her, her full attention. Earlier, Harriet had confided in Lady Rathborne of her fears for the girls. That they all were supposed to be coming out this London season which was now only a few weeks away.

"Dom has been wanting me to intermingle with London society for a while, meet the Queen, host soirees and some balls. Until recently, I have always objected to the idea, but now I think it is a good time." Not knowing where Lady Rathborne was going, Harriet tried to form some words, but Esma was quick to continue. "I believe I have a plan. You are right to be concerned for these girls and their futures because of the scandal that will follow them, which gave me an idea." Esma leaned over towards Harriet as if she were about to unwrap a diabolical scheme. "If I host in our London home and come out as well, any mention of the scandal will sound rubbish compared to everyone finally catching a glimpse of the scandalous Roma who stole away Lord Rathborne."

Harriet was filled with warmth at the woman's willingness to put her own distaste for London society aside to help Harriet's pupils. "Esma, we couldn't ask that of you and planning such things usually takes months and we would only have weeks. It is much too of an inconvenience."

"Not at all." Esma declared adamantly with a lift of her chin, her jewelry chiming. "I say you write to the parents informing them of what happened and lightening the blow by inviting all of them to our London home for two weeks. This way Nicu has the time he needs to investigate and question the parents and we can introduce the girls to society without the scandal being the center of attention."

The plan was genius, Harriet had to admit, but would society really be too distracted by Lady Rathborne's entrance? Looking at the striking woman, Harriet realized it could very well work. If it were anyone else, she would be doubtful, but Harriet had heard the gossip whenever she had to go into town about who the Roma woman was, what she looked like and if she had put a spell on Lord Rathborne.

"I will inform the parents and once the correspondences are done and sent out, I will find lodging in London and maybe some work, so I will be out of your way during the festivities." Harriet answered.

A puff formed as Esma furrowed her brows. "You aren't going anywhere. I will need help since I am completely clueless as how to plan these things. You on the other hand, know everything there is to know about it. Also, you wouldn't want to leave the girls. If anything, you should continue lessons here and act as their chaperone for the upcoming balls and such."

Harriet shook her head. "I believe their parents will already have suitable chaperones and honestly, I want to get as far away from your brother as possible."

A blank expression from Esma made Harriet shift on the bed a little. "What did Phal do?"

Shaking her head, Harriet kept her hands planted in her lap. "Nothing too horrible. He just snuck into my room without my consent and wasn't ashamed of it at all."

Esma tilted her head and her face softened. "I'm sorry dear, I may have been a part of that scheme."

Harriet's eyes widened, and she felt herself go pale. "But why?"

Grabbing Harriet's hands with one of her own, Esma's other hand pulled out of single strand of Harriet's silvery blonde hair and twirled it around her finger, giving it life. "I am certain of your innocence, but Phal is not. I told him I'd help with his investigation."

"And he believes I'm a conspirator," Harriet stated and shifted her attention to where he had stood so close to her, whispering at the horrid birthmark she loathed.

Esma was quiet for a little, but then her deep alluring voice pulled Harriet's attention back to her. "I shouldn't tell you this, but Phal found something in the woods and he, Dom, and St. George will be meeting in the study after dinner. How about we happen to pass by and join them? That way you can defend your innocence."

"I feel no need to defend myself to him." Harriet swiftly turned her head away with dignity, but then a devilish smile morphed on her face. "But my presence would very much upset your brother."

Esma gave a wicked grin in return. "All the more reason to do it."

Hehehehehe you all curious about what is going to happen next? Hit that star button for me if you want more of this story!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

227K 7K 83
You and John Watson were old flames back in your high school year. Thankfully, when you broke up, you still remained friends. That was, until the yea...
2.5K 151 29
Nothing is as it seems when it come to Sherlock Holmes, and his and Watson's greatest adventure is only beginning. An old enemy resurfaces, friendshi...
1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...
178K 5.3K 34
If your mother had been killed, where would you go? If you received a strange text, would you trust it? If you'd never met your father, would you w...