Infinity | B. Barnes

By legoellis

Y/n's life was turned upside down when she was taken hostage by HYDRA. After almost a year in captivity, and... More

Playlist
The breakout
Undercover in Lagos
The Sokovia Accords
Caught red handed
Ready to comply?
Antman?
Everyone's got a gimmick now
Division
Betrayal
Divided we fall
The rescue
I just feel you
It's not hopeless
You are free
Thanos?
Home
In the name of love
The Endgame
The aftermath
A moment of normality
Androids, aliens and wizards
The white wolf
Caps wingmen
Couples therapy
Baron Zemo
Midnight
The party
The Lab
Turkish delight
Looking strong, John!
The whole world is watching
You shouldnt have done that
Justice
Peace
The beginning of the end
You had one job
Captain America
Peace

The Winter Soldier

1K 32 15
By legoellis

After Steve's abrupt exit, there was a moment of concerned silence before the others slowly began to discuss the accords again. The argument getting heated between the divided sides.

I felt concerned for Steve, he looked heartbroken when he left the room. So I decided that instead of sitting and listening to my friends arguing, I'm going to go see if he was ok. I went to stand up from my seat but Tony stopped me from going anywhere.

"Y/n, you've been quiet in all of this." He stated, trying to prompt an opinion out of me

I sighed slightly and unconsciously curled into myself. "Aren't I always quiet?" I asked him, trying not to answer the question.

"Well, yes. But that's not what I meant." Tony said, clearly not letting me slide past without giving my opinion.

"I...I don't know." I said uncomfortably

"You don't know? Surely you have some sort of opinion." Tony said. I shifted awkwardly and looked down at the floor.

"Tony. Leave her be." Nat chastised him

"What? She's apart of this team. Surely she has something to say about it." Tony asked

I sighed and looked up again, glancing in Tony's direction. "I don't know, Tony. I think that, sure, we should sign something like this. But I'm uncertain on the accords. I just think that there has to be a better way to go about this than giving up our freedom to a council of people who don't know what it's like to be out on the field."

"You know, you're starting to sound a lot like Rogers. You've been spending too much time with him." Tony said, there was bitter undertone in his voice that I tried not to take offence at. This is clearly very personal to him.

"Well, speaking of Rogers. I'm gonna go check on him." I stated as I stood up from the sofa and walked towards the door he left out of. The group I left behind slowly started the conversation up again.

I walked the same way he did, using my enhanced senses to try and pinpoint where he was in the building. I could hear his heartbeat and sense his presence in a way that I still could not explain

I eventually found Steve in the stairwell, leaning against the railing with his head in his hands.

He glanced up when he heard my footsteps on the stairs above him. his eyes were red and he had tears marks on his face.

"Steve? What happened?" I asked him gently, my eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"It's Peggy....She's gone." Steve said quietly, pain and grief evident in his voice.

Once he said it out loud, that she was really gone, his tears started to fall more freely. Morning for the woman he loved.

"Oh, Steve. I'm so sorry." I replied in sympathy. I know how much Peggy meant to him, how much he loved her.

I stepped down the last remaining steps to where Steve was standing and tentatively wrapped my arms around his waist. Trying to offer any comfort that I could.

Steve returned the embrace, he wrapped his arms tightly around my shoulders and sighed heavily. His large frame encompassing my own.

We stood there for a moment, and my eyes started to prick at the sound of Steve sobbing quietly. He sniffled and buried his head into the crook of my neck.

Steve and I eventually parted, and my heart felt heavy in my chest.

"Her funeral is next week, in London." He said mournfully.

"If there's anything you need, I'm here for you." I said honestly. Steve saved my life, he rescued me from hydra. I would do anything to help him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve, Sam and I sat side by side in a church in London.

Agent Peggy Carter's funeral.

Peggy's niece, Sharon Carter, came up to the large wooden podium to say a few words about her aunt.

Sharon took a shaky breath before she began her speech. "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.E.I.L.D...but I knew her as aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to."

"Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said compromise where you can. But when you can't, don't. Even when everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move. It is your duty to stand yourself like a tree. Look them in the eye and say no, you move."

I placed my hand on top of Steve's, attempting to give him some comfort. He took my hand and lightly squeezed it. I glanced over at him briefly and saw tears pooling in his eyes. The sight pulled at my heart strings and I tightened my grasp on his hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the funeral had finished. All of the people started to make their way out of the church, many of them had tears in their eyes after the moving service that was dedicated to an amazing woman.

Sam and I stood to leave as well, but Steve stayed seated. I looked down at him as he stared blankly ahead of him. I could sense the pain radiating off of him and it made my heart ache for him.

"Steve, are you ok?" I asked him even though I knew it was a stupid question

"Yeah. I'm just...going to stay here for a moment." He answered
absentmindedly.

"Okay." I said softly

"We'll meet you outside, ok?" Sam asked him

"Yeah, sure." Steve replied

I glanced over at Sam and we shared a saddened look before we headed down the aisle. My shoes clacked lightly on the wooden floor as we walked towards the large open doors at the end of the church.

I sighed gently as I stepped through the church doors and walked down the steps onto the streets of London. A few guests still hung around as they hugged each other. The sky over head was a dull grey, mirroring the sadness in the air.

Sam and I stood side by side by the church doors as we waited for our friend to exit the church so we could head back to the hotel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sighed softly as I closed the hotel door behind me and dropped my bag to the floor. I then bent down and pulled my black high heels off. A soft sigh left my lips as I placed my feet on the soft carpet. No matter how many times Nat tried to teach me to run and fight in heels, it never got more comfortable.

I walked across the room and dramatically fell back onto the hotel bed. I stared up at the white celling for a moment before I pulled my phone out of my coat pocket and started to look through social media. After a while of scrolling mindlessly though social media apps, a news notification popped up on my phone.

"United Nations complex bombed."

I shot up from my position on the bed. My eyes were shot wide open as I scanned over the headline.

Natasha was there.

I know that Natasha can handle herself and had survived worse, but I couldn't help the worry that washed over me. I have to know if she is okay, you never know what can happen in our line of work.

I quickly opened up my contacts and attempted to call Natasha, but she didn't pick up. My hands shook slightly  as I quickly sent her a message asking if she was okay.

I then opened up the news article, the image that popped up made my heart drop once again. The picture was slightly blurry, but there was no doubt who it was.

The winter soldier.

My heart rate picked up while looking at the photo of the man. I have to go tell Steve. He's been searching for Bucky ever since he learned that he was still alive.

I swung my legs over the bed and stood up. I quickly strode across the room and grabbed my shoes. Unfortunately having to slide my feet back into the uncomfortable pare of heels.

Suddenly, there was an urgent knock at my door. I pulled it open and was greeted by a concerned-looking Sam on the other side.

"Have you seen the news?" He asked with concern written across his face

"Yeah. We have to find Steve." I replied, my tone matched his concerned expression.

I stepped out into the hall and locked the door behind me. We walked down the hallway and stood outside the silver doors of the elevator. Sam pressed the button and the doors slid open. The two of us stepped inside the lift and Sam pressed the button for the ground floor lobby.

I fidgeted nervously with my fingers as the lift softly jolted downwards. I couldn't get that picture of Bucky out of my head. I remember the photographs  that Steve had shown me, and the ones at the museum. He had looked so happy and carefree, his hair was neatly done and he had a boyish grin painted on his face.

Now, he looked disheveled. His hair was long and he had a small beard. His eyes were numb and unemotional. Hydra had made him into a shell of his former self. And it angered me beyond belief. It also terrifies me. I can't help the way my mind runs over the what ifs. What if Steve and the Avengers had never saved me, what if I became like him.

Once we reached the hotels lobby, the elevator pinged as the doors slid open. Sam and I stepped out and I immediately glanced around the busy foyer. I looked past all the people bustling around, the tourists, families and employees in search of a very tall blonde man. My gaze landed on him after a moment, finally catching sight of him.

Steve was talking to Sharon Carter in front of the other elevator across the foyer. I elbowed Sam in the side to get his attention and nodded in Steve's direction.

The two of us quickly walked across the lobby towards Steve. Neither Steve nor Sharon had noticed us approaching until Sam spoke up.

"Steve. There's something you gotta see." Sam said. Steve turned to look at us with a concerned expression.

~~~~~~~~~

Sam, Steve, Sharon and I were all standing in Sam's hotel room. The TV was on and the news was blaring.

"A bomb hidden in a news van." The news anchor relayed information

"Who's coordinating?" Sharon asked as she paced back and forth behind the sofa on the phone.

"Ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead. Including Wakanda's king T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes. The winter soldier." I glanced over at Steve as he inhaled heavily and the mention of his friend's name. His jaw was clenched.

"The infamous hydra agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations." The news reporter added.

I can't explain why the words frustrated me. But I clenched my fists by my side. If what Steve said was true, then he didn't really do any of those things. Not on his own free will anyway. But I don't know anything for sure. For all I know, he really could be as bad as they say he is.

I sighed softly and checked my phone, noting that Natasha still hadn't replied to me. I felt my nerves increase for my friend. I dialled her number once again but it went straight to voicemail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The group of us had gotten changed into civilian-like clothes and had exited the hotel. We were walking down the streets of London again, this time with an entirely different objective. It's funny how fast things can change when you're an avenger.

I turned to Steve as we walked quickly down the street. "I haven't heard from Nat and she was at the UN building in Vienna and..." Steve stopped my rambling before I could finish. He put his hand out and stopped me in my tracks.

"Hey, I'm sure she's fine. This is Natasha were talking about. Let me try call her ok?" Steve reassured me.

I nodded while Steve pulled his phone out from his jacket pocket and dialled Natasha's number.

After a couple of rings, she finally picked up. "Hey, you all right?"

"Uh yeah thanks, I got lucky." I heard Nat's voice from the other end of the phone. Relief filled me, she was ok.

"could have picked up the phone when I called you." I quietly muttered to myself. But I know that there is probably a lot going on over there.

"I know how much Barnes means to you, I really do. But stay home. You'll only make this worse. For all of us. Please." Nat tried to reason with him. Knowing how much Steve will want to go after Bucky.

"Are you saying you'll arrest me?" Steve asked

"No. Someone will. If you interfere, that's how It works now." Nat replied

"If he's this far gone, Nat. I should be the one to bring him in." Steve replied

"Why?" Nat asked

"Because I'm the one least likely to die while trying." Steve said, he then abruptly hung up on her.

Nat was fighting a losing battle when asking Steve to not get involved in this. He will always look out for Bucky.

"Come on." Steve tapped my arm lightly and ushered me to walk along side him. We headed in the same direction that Sam had gone to. We were going to be meeting Sharon in a small cafe once she was finished talking to the CIA.

I adjusted the baseball cap that rested on my head so it was more comfortable. I'm still not sure how no one notices us when we are wearing a hat. Tony always says that he was the first to come up with it, but I never believe him. He may be the father of the Iron man but I don't think he was the first famous person to hide under a hat.

Steve and I walked into the small cafe. My eyes landed on Sam's back as he sat on a bar stool with a slice of cake.

"She tell you to stay out of it?" Sam asked Steve when we stepped up beside him.

Steve didn't say anything, and Sam smiled knowing that he was right. "Might have a point." He said.

"He'd do it for me." Steve said.

"1945, maybe. I just want to make sure that we consider all our options." Sam replied. "The people that shoot at you, usually wind up shooting at me."

"Tips have been pouring in. Since that footage went public everybody thinks the winter soldier goes to their gym." Sharon said as she came up to the bar as well, just coming back from the meeting with the CIA. "Most of its noise." I had to hold in my laugh, finding it strangely funny that so many people thought that the winter soldier went to their gym. I don't think that Hydra would let Bucky out for a leisurely work out.

"Except for this." Sharon slid a folder over to Steve. "My boss expects a briefing pretty much now...so that's all the head start you're gonna get."

"Thank you," Steve said appreciatively

"You're gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight." Sharon then turned and exited the cafe.

Steve opened the file and it pointed them in the direction of Bucharest, Romania.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I sighed softly as I shifted on my knees. The small stones on the roof of the tall building kept digging into my knees and causing me discomfort. Even though there was sufficient padding in my stealth suit, it was slightly painful.

I looked across the street from the building that I was perched on top of. It was the building that Bucky Barnes was supposedly staying in.

The building that I was on top of gave me a good view of the streets below. Sam was stationed at the building across from me, using redwing to patrol the streets.

Steve had asked us to keep a lookout for the local police or the CIA while he confronted Bucky. I had been stationed across the street so I could offer help if the need arises. He believes that I have the best chance at containing him if all else fails.

There was a lot of noise coming from all around. Vehicles driving past, people walking the streets. All of the noise started to mix together, making one really loud confusing noise.

I took a deep breath in and tried to steady myself. this mission is important. I have to be on alert for anyone who would threaten it.

I started to focus in on specific noises rather than everything all at once, like certain conversations. All while keeping an eye out for anyone who was carrying a weapon or a badge.

After a moment I spotted what I had been looking for, a large group of special forces agents were making their way towards the south side of the building. Immediately on alert, I crouched further down to hide from view.

Before I could tell Steve, Sam beat me to it. "Heads up, Cap. German special forces, approaching from the south"

"Understood." Steve replied.

I kept a close eye on the German special forces as they made their way closer to the building. I kept close to the side of the roof that gave me the best view of the special forces while making sure that I wasn't spotted.

Sam gave another update to Steve. "They've set the perimeter."

I watched in concern as the special forces made their way inside the building.

"They're entering the building." Sam said over the radio

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised."

I looked over to the roof of the building in time to see Sam take off. My eyes trailed after him for a moment before I refocused on the mission at hand.

After a moment, Steve called over the radio. "Y/n, I could really use some back up over here."

"On my way, Cap." I replied, standing up from my hidden position and leaping over the side.

I used my powers to make my way across the street, flying over to the other roof.

I landed quietly outside of the apartment that Steve was in and pried open the newspaper covered window.

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck." I heard Steve say.

"It always ends in a fight." Bucky replied to him.

"Five seconds." Sam announced over the radio, letting us know how much time they have left

I quietly swung my legs into the window and quietly stepped onto the hardwood floor. I could hear the loud noise of footsteps hammering up the stairs through the walls.

"You pulled me from the river. Why?" Steve asked, desperate to find an ounce of the man he knew.

I froze behind Steve, feeling slightly awkward that I was intruding on their conversation. It was clearly very personal. But I pushed that feeling away. This was a life or death situation, there was no time to be worrying about that.

"I don't know." Bucky answered quietly. He turned to face Steve after taking off his black gloves, revealing a metal hand.

"Three seconds!" Sam said again

Bucky turned around and my breath hitched in my throat as his eyes fell on me. Angry piercing blue eyes drilled into me. But beneath all of that, I could see the fear deep within him.

A defensive look quickly came over his face and He took a few steps forward, shoulders tense. He was ready for a fight. But Steve quickly stepped in front of him.

"Woah, Buck. It's ok. She's a friend." Steve said, trying to calm him down so he wouldn't beat me up. Not that I would let him, anyway.

I tried to give him a friendly smile, hoping to try and gain a bit of trust. But He continued to stare harshly at me over Steve's shoulder. His steel gaze was unwavering, striking blue eyes not moving from my slightly retreated form.

His eyes scanned my body language and he his posture slowly eased up. I realised that it was all to do with my posture and I tried to make myself look even smaller. If he didn't think I was a threat, then maybe he would relax slightly.

The uncomfortable staring contest between us was suddenly ground to a halt when the noises of the officers around us grew even louder. I looked away from Bucky and stared at the front door behind him.

"Breach! Breach! Breach!" Sam's urgent voice rang in my ear.

A grenade suddenly came flying through one of the windows, shattering the glass in its wake. Steve used his shield to bat it away from us and It blew up in the corner of the room where I was standing before.

Another grenade rolled into the room and Bucky quickly kicked it towards Steve with his foot. Steve put his shield on top of it to lessen the blast. I raised my brows at the casual way the man just kicked a grenade, but then again, it definitely wasn't the first time he had been around one.

the German special forces took that as their queue to start banging at the door, trying to get in. I flinched involuntarily at the loud sound.

Bucky picked up his mattress to protect himself from another blast. He then picked up his table and threw it with amazing strength and accuracy into the door in an attempt at barricading it.

Two men then came crashing through the windows. One of them crashing straight into me. I grunted as I toppled to the ground. The man fell on top of me, adding another bruise to my torso.

And that is when the fighting really began.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

363K 5.5K 64
This book is a continuation of the previous one.. literally starting right where the other one left off!! Self-insert 🥰 You are a former Black Widow...
5.7K 119 29
⚠️ This following story contains - Mature Content, Miscarriage, Mentions of Domestic Abuse, Alcohol Consumption and Traumatic Child Birth. If this i...
1.5M 19.2K 180
‼️The story is in 2 parts, Enjoy!! Self-insert‼️ You are a former Black Widow who has been in hiding for years. You have made amends and have dealt w...
18.1K 326 13
Them: 2 HOT best friends with different pasts. Her: a sassy, homeless girl that locked her feelings away. °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°...