Everything Has Changed

By targaryen14

Margaret Crawley is the daughter of the heir of Downton, James Crawley. She loves her brother Patrick and her... More

Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 9

75 3 10
By targaryen14

December, 1912

It was now time for dinner.  Julia, Jack, Matthew and Isobel have now also arrived.  

"I don't understand.  Why would she want to be a secretary?"  Violet asks about Gwen.  

"She wants a different life."  Matthew answers.  "But why?  I should far prefer to be a maid in a large and pleasant house.  Than work from dawn to dusk in a cramped and gloomy office.  Don't you agree Carson?" Violet asks.   Carson nods.  "I do, my lady."

Mary laughs, her focus on Mr.  Pamuk.  "Why are we talking about this?  Why does it matter?"

Cora sighes.  "It matters that the people that live and work here are content."

Helena smiles.  "Honestly, i think we should support Gwen in this."

Sybil nods.  "I agree with Helena."

Isobel smiles.  "Likewise. Surely, we must all encourage those less fortunate to improve their lot where they can."

Violet sighes.  "Not if it isn't in their best interests."

Isobel looks at her.  "Isn't the maid a better of judge of that than we are?"

Evelyn turns to Margaret and whispers.  "You look beautiful."

Margaret is taken back by his comment and just smiles.  "Thank you."

"What do you say Mr. Pamuk,  should our maid be kept enslaved or forced out into the world?"  Mary asks.  

He shakes his head.  "Why are you english so curious about other people's lives?  If she wishes to leave and the law permits it, then let her go."

"Perhaps the law should not permit it, for the common good."  Violet comments. 

Isobel sighes.  "So you hanker for the days of serdom?" Violet looks at her.  "I hanker for a simpler world, is that a crime?"  

"I, too dream of a simpler world, as long as we can keep our trains and our denistry."  Mr.  Pamuk answers.  

Julia smiles and takes a hold of Jack's hand.  "Well, me and Jack have some news."

Cora looks at her.  "What kind of news?"

Julia smiles.  "Well we have been asked before by some of you about the date of the wedding.  Well we have decided now for May 2."

Margaret smiles.  "Congratulations."   Julia smiles "Thank you."

Cora smiles "That sounds wonderful.  We all will be there."

"Why did you send Lynch back?"  Robert asks Mary.

She smiles.  "Me and Margaret had our champions left and right,it was enough."

"Did you enjoy the hunt today, Mr.  Napier?"  Robert asks.  He smiles "I really did."  Then he turns and looks at Margaret.  

"What about you, Mr.  Pamuk?  Was your day succesful?" Cora asks.  "Oh yes, lady Grantham. I can hardly remember  a better one."  

The dinner are now finished and they are all in the drawing room.  William and Helena walks up to Robert and Cora.   Robert smiles.  "William, We didn't get to speak much during dinner."  William smiles.  "No we didn't."   "I heard you were doing a trip of Ireland, how was that?"  Cora asks.    William smiles "Very well, Ireland is a beautiful place.  I hope my sister has been a good guest?"  

Cora smiles.  "She has."   "How's your father?" Robert asks.  William takes a deep breath.  "I have seen him in a while but i'm going home next so we'll see."  Robert nods.  "Do say hi from me to him."  William 

Evelyn walks up to Margaret who is drinking from her glass.  "Would you like to stand on the porch with me?"  He asks her.   She  looks at him and nods.  "Sure."  She puts down her glass and they walk out of the drawing room.  

They walk out to the porch.  Margaret looks at the sky in awe.  "The stars.  It's beautiful."  Evelyn smiles but he's only looking at her.  "Yes, they are."   She then feels his hand caressing her hand.  

She sighes. "Mr. Napier."  He looks at her.  "Yes?"  She turn so her whole body is turned towards them.  "I'm confused.  I have thought all this time that you have liked Mary but all day you have only focused on me, am i crazy?"  He smiles. "No, you're not."   

She is now even more confused.  "But you have been writing to Mary.  Why would you write to her if you actually like me?"   He takes a deep breath.  "You're right, i don't like Mary. I like you but everytime we have met i haven't had the courage to talk to you.   So i started to write letters with Mary, to get my courage to one day speak with you."   He takes a hold of her hands.  "Margaret, i like you.  I have liked you for a while.  I would love to get the chance to get to know you better.  So what would you say to us courting?"

She looks at him shocked.  "Are you sure?"   He nods.  "I have been more sure.  Let me know your answer before i leave tomorrow."  He kisses her and walks inside.  Leaving Margaret with her thoughts.  

Margaret is sleeping when she feel someone shaking her.  She looks and sees Anna.  

"Anna, is something wrong?"  She asks.  "It's Mary.  She needs you."   Margaret nods.  She stands up from her bed and walk out with Anna.  

She walks into Mary's room and is shocked of what she sees.  Mr. Pamuk dead in Mary's bed. 

She looks at Mary speechless.  "What happened?"   "I'm not sure.  He was fine and then he wasn't."

Margaret is still confused.  "But why is he in your bed?  Did he force himself on you?"

Mary takes a deep breath and shakes her head.  She can see that Mary is close to break down in tears.  

Margaret walks up to Mary puts her hands on her shoulders.  "Okay.  It's fine, it's gonna be alright.  We'll speak with your mother in the morning.  But what should we do?  He can't stay here in your room."

Anna looks at her "There is only one thing we can do."   Margaret nods.  "Let's cover him up and we'll take him back to his room."  

They carry him out to the corridor, back to his room.  They put him down in the bed so he it looks like he died in his sleep alone.  

Mary looks down at him "He was so beautiful."   Margaret is staying by the door.  "Mary, we need to go."   Mary sighes.  Her and Anna walks up to Margaret.  Margaret looks at her.  "You know, Evelyn asked me to court him.  I was planning to say yes.  I''m not sure i can when i have to lie to him about the truth about his friend's death.  And for that i can't forgive you Mary."  

Mary looks at her.  "You won't tell him?"    Margaret looks at her.  "Of course not, it would ruin you.  As i also know it would destroy him.  But i'm really upset with you.  You Mary, have put me through a lot these last few months but here you crossed a line."   Mary nods.  "I understand."  Margaret sighes.  "Let's just go."  She opens the door and walks out. 

It's in the morning.  Anna is fixing her hair.  When Cora walks in.  "Can you leave us for a moment Anna?"   Anna nods and walks out.  Cora sits down on the bed.  Margaret takes a deep breath.  "I assume you have heard?"  Cora nods.  "I have.  I'm sorry Mary have put this on you but i thank you for what you did."  Margaret looks at her.  "Of course."   But then Margaret starts to cry.  

Cora walks up to her.  "What's the matter?"  She takes a deep breath.  "Mr. Napier asked to court me?"  Cora is suprised.  "He did?"   Margaret is crying.  "Yes. But Mr. Pamuk was his friend.  How can we court eachother when i will be lying to him?"

Cora sighes and sits down next to her. "Do you like him?"  Margaret looks at her and wipes her face.  "I didn't let myself before because i thought he liked Mary but now i think i do."

Cora nods. "Well... If you decides to court him then don't tell him until he asks you to marry him and if you wanna marry him aswell.  You don't wanna go into a marriage with lies.  But it's your choice."

Margaret nods "Thank you."   Cora nods. "Now i will let Anna continue to help you."  Margaret smiles.  Cora walks up to to the door and opens it where Anna stands waiting.  Cora walks out.  Anna walks in and closes the door.  

Margaret walks down  the stairs and there she sees him, Evelyn.  

He looks at her.  "I imagine you've heard what's happened?"   She nods. "Yes."  

"Terrible thing, awful.  Ghastly for Lord and Lady Grantham.   I don't suppose i shall never make it up to them."  He tells her.  She looks at him.  "It's not your fault, you can't blame yourself." 

He chuckles.  "I brought him here.  If it isn't my fault, who is it?"  

She wanted to tell him so badly but she knew she couldn't.  

"I was wondering if you might show me the gardens before i go?"  He asks.  She smiles and nods.  "I would like that."   She walks down to him and they walk out.  

Evelyn and Margaret are walking through the gardens.  "Have you decided?"  He asks.  With that Margaret stops in her tracks.   Evelyn stops and looks at her.  "Margaret?"   She takes a deep breath.  

She looks at him and takes his hand in her own.  She smiles and nods.  "Yes. My answer is yes."

He smiles at her.  He's so happy and kisses both of her hands.  "No one has made me happier."

She smiles.     He takes her hand and they start walking back because it's time for him to leave.  

Helena and William are inside.  William is about to leave.  

"Please, remember to send me letters."  She tells him.  He smiles "I will.  I will speak to mother and father.  They will come around."  She smiles.  "Thank you William, do say Lucy for me."  He nods.  "I will."  He kisses her cheek and walks out.  

She walks away and sees Sybil. Sybil smiles and walks up to her.  "Helena, i have great news."

Helena looks at her. "What is it?"   Sybil smiles.  "I found a job application for Gwen.  I have showed it to her and i told her that she can use both of us as their reference."   She smiles happily and hugs her.  "Sybil, that's wonderful."   Sybil smiles "Of course."   She pulls away. "I think it's important that people are able to live their lives the way they desire."  Helena nods.  "I agree."

Julia and Jack was sitting at home.  Julia was caressing her belly.  "So what do you think, a boy or  a girl?"  Jack put his hand over belly.  "I don't care if it's a boy or a girl.  All i care about is that our child will be healthy."  Julia smiles and kisses him.  "Our child will be lucky to have you as their father."   Jack smiles. "They will be even more lucky to have you as their mother."   Julia holds his hand, she couldn't be more happier. 

Margaret and Helena are sitting in the drawing room with Cora, Sybil, Edith and Mary waiting for Violet.   Violet walks in.  "My dears.  Is it really true? I can't believe it.  Last night he looked so well."  She sits down.  "Of course, would happen to a foreginer.  It's typical."

Mary looks at her, she can't control her emotions.  "Don't be ridiculous."  Violet looks at her shocked.  "I'm not  being ridiculous.  No englishman would dream of dying in someone else's house, especially someone they didn't even know."    Margaret sighes.  "Death is not something we can control, not even the english."    "Well i hope we're in control of something, if only ourselves."  Violet answers.    "But we're not! Don't you see that?  We're not in control of anything at all!"  Mary burst out and walks out.  

"Edith, go tell Mary to come back at once and apologize to her grandmother."  Cora tells Edith.  Edith stands up and starts walking but Violet stops her.  "No. Leave her alone.  She's had a shock, we all have.  Just let her rest."  Edith sits down. 

Margaret smiles. "Well i do have some refreshing news."   Violet looks at her.  "Well, go on."  Margaret takes a deep breath.  "Me and Mr. Napier have started courting."    Helena looks at her shocked. "What?  when did this happen?"   Margaret smiles.  "He asked me last night and i answered him this morning."    "Congrats Margaret.  Evelyn is a fine young man, your parents would be proud."    Margaret smiles. "Thank you."  

Carson and William, one of the footmen walks in with the tea.  "Just the ticket! Nanny always said sweet tea was the thing for frayed nerves.  Though why it has to be sweet, i couldn't tell you." Violet tells them. 

Julia are sitting down in the sofa with Jack.  Matthew is standing by the windows looking out and Isobel is writing a letter at her desk.  "Do you think we should have gone up there, to see how they are?"  Matthew asks.   "I sent a note, but i thought i'd be in the way, why?" Isobel asks her son.   Matthew sighes.  "I thought Mary was rather struck with him last night, didn't you?"  

Isobel sighes. "Well it must have been frightful for all of them.  But there it is, in the midst of life, there is death."  

Julia walks up to Matthew.  "Can i speak with you for a moment, alone?"  Matthew nods and they walk out to the corridor.  "Matthew, i need to ask.  Do you like Mary?"   Matthew looks at her confused. "Of course i like Mary, i mean who doesn't."   Julia sighes.  "No Matthew.  Do you like her?  Do you fancy her?"  He looks at her shocked.  "Why would you assume that?"  Julia sighes. "Matthew, i could see during the dinner that you couldn't take your eyes off her, especially when she was talking with Late Mr. Pamuk.  So, am i wrong?"   Matthew just looks at her "I can't talk about this."  He walks up.  Julia sighes.  She knew her brother didn't want to admit it but she knew she was right.  

The next day Margaret is walking out to the gardens when she sees Mary and Matthew talking.  She couldn't help herself feeling jealous.  

Mr. Pamuk is dead, Anna, Mary and Margaret and Cora knows the truth.  Margaret and Evelyn have started courting but Margaret might like someone else too.  I hope you guys like this chapter and please tell me your thoughts.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.5K 144 13
A young unlikable footman is working at downton when a new maid comes to work there. Will he finally be able to let his guard down and care for someo...
624 46 9
~Fanfiction based on the TV show Downton Abbey~ What if Sybil Crawley wasn't the youngest daughter of Lord and Lady Grantham? In 1896, Cora gave bir...
579 26 14
What if Robert and Cora Crawley had a fourth daughter who were born in 1906 Gabriella is secret hero with Anne Shirley, Diana Barry, Ruby Gills and...
10.7K 230 24
Katerina Rogers is a wealthy 17 year old girl who is going on Titanic with her father. Her mother died when she was 5 years old. Her father is a very...