Normal - Steve Kemp x Reader

By onceupoonastory

Hunting a new serial killer, FBI criminal profiler Agent Y/N Y/L/N's boss decides that to catch this new thre... More

Author's Note
Chapter One: Into the Lion's Den
Chapter Two: A Monster in Plain Sight
Chapter Three: Rude Awakenings
Chapter Four: Inner Darkness
Chapter Six: Keep Your Friends Close...
Chapter Seven: Always and Forever
Chapter Eight: The Oncoming Storm
Chapter Nine: Survival Instinct
Chapter Ten: Begin Again (FINALE)

Chapter Five: Friends to the Wicked

632 19 25
By onceupoonastory

Chapter Warnings: Whooo boy where to start with this one? This chapter contains mentions of: murder, serial killers, cannibalism, threats of violence and death, blood, hinted emotional manipulation/abuse and a little bit when the reader thinks she sees Steve even though he's not really there. There's also some SMUT this chapter. That includes oral sex, biting, pain and orgasms. Also. Steve Kemp and Nick Fowler being their unhinged and possessive selves towards the poor reader. One might be more noticeably unhinged than the other though. 

~~~

The meeting continues for a short while longer, most of which Y/N spends trying not to stare at Nick, despite how much she wants to. He really is cute. And she's going to get to work closely with him and get to know him better. In her opinion, that's a dream job. Nick meets her gaze again every so often, and he gives her a small smile each time. One that gives her a warm feeling inside. Once the meeting is over and people begin to file out of the room, Nick walks up to her, still grinning.

"Hi. You're Agent Y/N Y/L/N, right?"

"Yup, that's me." She nods, holding out her hand for Nick to shake, which he does. As his fingers brush against hers, Y/N sighs happily.

"I've heard a lot about you. Your boss speaks very highly of you and your work. I've been looking forward to meeting you, actually." He grins, making her blush slightly. God, this guy is a charmer. However, Y/N's grin is short-lived. As more people leave the room, she and Nick notice some people giving her a dirty look. Y/N sighs, and Nick raises a brow. "Is everything...okay with that? Do you need help with anything?" He asks. Y/N chuckles awkwardly, shaking her head.

"It's okay." She lies. "I guess talking to serial killers every day doesn't help me make too many friends." She laughs awkwardly. "Please don't worry about me, Nick, honestly. I'll be okay." Nick nods, but he still frowns slightly, as if he doesn't fully believe her. However, Y/N knows there's no way she can tell her cute new co-worker the truth about her working environment and that a cannibalistic serial killer is her only friend. There's no need to scare off the poor guy before he gets started.

"Well, I'm glad to be your friend." Nick reassures her, making her smile again. God, is this guy perfect or what? "Anyway...we have a case to solve, so would you like to go out for dinner sometime to discuss what you have so far? It'll be nice to get to know you some more too." Nick asks. Despite the returning blush she feels at that moment, Y/N frowns.

"Did you just ask me if I want to look at a cannibal case...over dinner?" She asks. Nick's eyes widen, and his cheeks turn scarlet.

"Oh god, you're right. That's the worst possible thing I could've suggested, isn't it?" He groans. "I'm sorry, I just figured that going out for dinner together is the normal thing people do when they want to know each other better, right? Maybe I should start over." Y/N reaches out and gently places a reassuring hand on Nick's forearm.

"It's okay. Dinner sounds great...but maybe we should schedule the case discussion separately?" She asks. Suddenly, Y/N realises that her hand is still on his forearm. Gasping, she removes it quickly, her cheeks flushing an even deeper red. That's not something you do when you've just met someone. To her surprise. though, Nick smiles with a soft chuckle. And Nick's smile makes her smile even more, this time an even wider smile.

"That sounds good. I have to go and be busy, but...." Nick takes her phone from her without another word, inputting his number into it. "Give me a call sometime, alright?" He winks before disappearing down the hallway into another office. Y/N watches him go, sighing happily. Nick really is cute. And he seems to like her too, which is a nice change. She's never really felt this way about anyone else before. Well, anyone who isn't Steve. However, maybe Nick's arrival is a sign of better things, as she said. In fact, maybe things will turn out well after all, and she won't have to worry too much about Steve or her feelings towards him, whatever they may be.

Although she's still hopeful about her future with Nick, Y/N feels that a part of her still isn't ready to let go of Steve Kemp just yet...and that he's definitely unwilling to let go of her. However, as soon as that thought enters her brain, Steve Kemp comes along with it. In a way, it's as if he's trying to tell her that she'll never get rid of him and he'll always be there with her no matter how hard she tries.

A few nights later, Nick and Y/N sit in a local restaurant, getting to know each other better. So far, it turns out the pair get on really well, and Y/N is really enjoying herself. "Yeah, so my favourite mission was when I had to close this case about a drug dealer...stay with me here!" He orders, seeing Y/N's face.

"Hey! I'm not saying anything!" Y/N giggles.

"Anyway, my team and I tracked this guy to Italy, but I found the house he was staying in on my own. My team didn't believe me and swore he was hiding somewhere else. So, I went in on my own, walked right in through the door, and caught him all by myself." Nick grins proudly, whilst Y/N hangs onto his every word, admiring him. Nick seems great, with a past full of excitement and achievements...and it's making him even more attractive to her if that's even possible. "And after it was done, I spent some time on the beach afterwards, tanning myself on the sand." He continues, and Y/N tries to stop the thoughts of a shirtless Nick Fowler running through her mind. Her eyes run down his chest. Nick probably has abs...and she wouldn't be opposed to seeing them, even if Steve is still occupying a part of her mind.

"That sounds like so much fun! I'd love to go to Italy one day." She sighs. Nick chuckles, grinning.

"Maybe I'll take you." He offers. Y/N's cheeks turn pink, and she chuckles, averting her gaze from Nick so he doesn't see her blush. He's definitely having an effect on her. Whatever that effect is, and whether or not it's a good thing is a whole other question. Oh god. What is she even saying? Of course it's a good thing. Now, she finally has a guy who likes her. And he's a good guy, one without a body count or trauma attached to him.

So why does she still feel so bad and conflicted about it? Sighing, Y/N tries to rationalise her thoughts. This is the first time she's been out with a guy in like...forever. After spending so much time with Steve, she's probably not used to being with another guy yet. And like she said, Nick is nice...he's great, actually. She looks up, catching Nick's gaze once more. He smiles at her, and Y/N feels a warmth building in her stomach. Yeah, she's just conflicted about her feelings, but at least now, she won't have to worry too much with Nick here.

"So, sorry to bring the conversation back to work...." Nick trails off, and Y/N raises a brow. What happened to 'keep the work conversations separate from this?' Before she can say anything, though, Nick continues. "I think it'd be a good idea if I come with you to meet Steve Kemp the next time you go." He states, smiling expectantly at her. Y/N frowns. "What? Is there an issue?" She can see the corners of Nick's smile twitching as if it's about to fall.

"Well, I'm not sure if that is a good idea, Nick." She admits. Almost immediately, Nick begins to frown a little. "Steve is very...particular about things, and he's very set in his ways. He is definitely not the sort of person who'd appreciate a guest turning up unannounced. He only likes it when it's just me and him." For a moment, Nick's smile falls, and Y/N swears she sees a look of anger crossing his face. However, it's gone before she can say anything, and it's replaced with another smile almost immediately. This time, the smile doesn't reach his eyes. Y/N's heart sinks.

"I see." Nick nods curtly. "I guess you know him better than I do, right?"

"It's not like that." Y/N sighs. "It's just. He can be quite...unwelcoming at first." She casts her mind back to when she and Steve first met, and how terrified she was. However, they've definitely come a long way since then. Things are far more comfortable between them. Well, as comfortable as she can be. Still, she knows that if Nick just waltzes in with his guns blazing, it probably won't go so well for him. "It'd be better if I spoke to him first about meeting you, just to test the water." She explains. Nick still looks slightly unconvinced, but he nods again.

"Alright. I'll trust your judgement. Make sure you tell Steve I can get him a good deal for his cooperation, though, alright?" He smiles, going back to his drink. An awkward silence settles amongst the pair. Although Nick seemed to show things between them both as okay, Y/N can't help but feel a little...strange after that discussion. Especially since Nick seemed a little demanding and unwilling to listen to her explanation at first. "Do you want a dessert? I think that the chocolate brownie with ice cream sounds amazing. Want to split one with me?" Nick asks, grinning.

In an instant, it's as if he's back to the same Nick she met before. Y/N nods, and Nick turns to signal for their waiter. Y/N sighs. She was being silly. He wasn't demanding. He's new to the investigation and just wants to see Steve so they can solve this case, because he's one of their primary sources of info. And besides, he's listening to her and letting her do her own thing. God, she really has been spending too much time with Steve if she thinks that everyone has ulterior motives. Especially her cute new co-worker, who actually seems to be into her. Or at least seems to tolerate her. Y/N takes a breath, trying to calm her mind and take Steve out of it. Nick just wants to help. Nothing else.

And yet, despite how much she tries to ignore it, there's still a nagging feeling at the back of Y/N's brain. Something tells her there's far more to Nick Fowler than meets the eye. Whether that's a good or bad thing, she doesn't know yet.

After their dinner, Nick drives her home. "That was really nice. Thanks for joining me." Y/N smiles.

"Thanks for inviting me, Nick." She unbuckles her seatbelt and is about to reach for the door handle when Nick's voice stops her.

"Wait." He orders, gently taking her hand and brushing his fingers against hers. Y/N turns back to him.

"Mhm?" Without another word, Nick leans in, gently pecking her on the lips. Y/N swears her heart almost stops. It's been so long since she's been kissed, a part of her wonders if she's dreaming. Nick pulls away.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. We only just met, but it's just...you're so-" Before he can continue his conversation, Y/N scoots forward in her seat, pressing her lips back onto Nick's. Nick takes a moment, but soon melts into the kiss, gently wrapping his arms around her waist as the kiss deepens. Y/N moans happily. Nick's even a perfect kisser. Is there anything this man can't do?

Soon, the pair pull apart, and Y/N and Nick both gasp for air. "Wow." Y/N breathes, still slightly speechless.

"I know." Nick gently runs his fingers down her jawline. "See you at work, Y/N." He smiles. Y/N nods. She's sure that her cheeks must be scarlet by this point. Getting out of the car, she watches as Nick drives off, waving as he disappears from view. Once she's sure Nick's out of sight, Y/N squeals happily. It's like everything is working out for her. However, her happiness is soon short-lived, as her thoughts and conflicted feelings for Steve come back, this time with a vengeance. Suddenly, Y/N starts to feel an immense sense of regret and guilt for even trying to ignore her feelings for Steve, or to push him out with someone like Nick. Y/N can feel a pit developing in her stomach. Despite how happy she was about kissing Nick, only one thought is now in her mind:

"Oh god, what have I done?"

"So Y/N, I've heard through the grapevine that you have a new Agent working on the case." Steve remarks the next time she sees him.

"Yeah. His name is Nick Fowler. He works at the CIA." Steve nods.

"And how is he, do you think? What's your honest opinion on Mister Fowler?" Y/N's cheeks turn slightly pink. Almost immediately, she feels her stomach drop. Whatever she does, Steve can not find out what happened with her and Nick.

"He's nice. Very friendly and welcoming too." She replies. "He'd like to meet you, actually. He told me himself." Steve chuckles, raising a brow.

"Oh, did he now?" He grins. "And what did you say to that, Y/N?"

"I told him that I'd ask you first. I know you're very...particular about the people you interact with." Steve nods, laughing. Y/N suddenly realises that she never noticed how nice Steve's laugh is. It's so warm and cheerful. And oh god, she needs to stop with this train of thought right now.

"That's an understatement Y/N, but you're right. We do know a lot about each other, don't we?" Steve asks, and she nods. There's still a lot about her that he doesn't know, though, and it's something Y/N isn't ready to share yet. Or ever, actually.

"Nick also said that he'd be willing to offer you certain benefits if you help him. I'm not sure what those benefits are, but Nick assured me they're available for you." A grin begins to develop on Steve's cheeks.

"Oh, I can think of a few benefits I'd like." Steve whispers, very pointedly looking over her and biting his lip slightly. Y/N can feel the familiar feelings of excitement as he looks over her again...and a part of her still isn't sure if she still wants to ignore those feelings. "Well, although I don't like to share, especially not when it comes to you, Y/N...I say invite him along next time you come to visit. As long as he doesn't change anything between us." Y/N nods. Oh, if only he knew.

"Okay, I'll tell him that."

"Don't worry though, Y/N...you're still my favourite Agent." Y/N smiles slightly.

"No. Don't let his words get to you. Just take it as a compliment and nothing more. Focus on Nick. Stay with Nick. Nick is a good choice." She tells herself, her mind repeating those words constantly. Steve raises a brow.

"Are you alright, Y/N?" Steve asks her again. He sighs, although she doesn't detect any malice or impatience behind his sigh. Once again, it's as if he's her friend asking her if she's alright, rather than the monster everyone knows him as. "Is it Nick? Is he bothering you?" He asks, his voice deeper and more threatening. "If he is, just let me know because I won't tolerate anyone being mean or disrespectful to you. Like I say to everyone, you're my friend, and I care about you very much." His words make Y/N smile a little, and her cheeks go pink.

"Thank you, Steve. But please, don't worry about me. I'm okay." She nods. In response, Steve raises an eyebrow.

"Are you sure? Because if you're not okay, and someone's hurting or upsetting you, you just tell me, okay?" Steve leans in close, whispering the next part of his sentence. "I know I may be behind bars, but that doesn't mean that I don't still have some tricks up my sleeve." Y/N's eyes widen, and she gasps.

"Even though you might not be under caution...you know I'm still an FBI Agent, and it's not the best idea to openly admit you can get rid of people for me, right?" She whispers back.

"I know. However, I also know that you and I are both past the point of caring about things like this. Especially since you didn't say no, did you?" She can hear him smirk. "And besides, I won't tell if you don't." Steve chuckles. "It can be our little secret."

"...Thank you, Steve." She smiles. Although Y/N knows she probably should report his comments and threats...she's still grateful to Steve for the offer. He might be a mass-murdering cannibal, but at least he's using his 'resources' to protect her rather than harm her. And in a way, her and Steve having their own secret makes him seem even more exciting to her. Who else can say they have someone as violent and dangerous looking out for them? Of course, she'll never...or at least, hopefully never, use his resources, but it's the thought that counts, right? Steve leans back ever so slightly, and his steely blue eyes bore into her.

"You're very welcome." He grins. "Now, you didn't tell me how our new friend Nick Fowler has been treating you." Y/N sighs as the excitement in her heart grinds to a halt. She's going to have to tell him the truth. Or at least part of it. There's no way she can hide things from him for too long. However, she's still confused as to why she's so unwilling to admit her and Nick's partnership, or their kiss, to Steve, as if she'll be punished for it. Steve Kemp is not entitled to any information about any part of her life, especially not who she's been going out with and who she might be dating. And she shouldn't have to ruin a relationship just for Steve. So why does she feel so bad about being with Nick, as if she's betraying Steve by kissing him...when he isn't even hers in the first place? ...Not that she even wants him in that way, though. Because she definitely does not.

At least, she hopes that she doesn't...despite the evidence that's slowly starting to show otherwise.

"He's been great, actually. He's really nice and funny, and we seem to get along great. He and I actually went out to dinner together to speak about the case and get to know each other better, and it turns out we get on really well." She explains. Almost immediately after the words leave her mouth, Steve's face falls, and the happy smile he had just minutes ago is gone.

"I see." He replies, his voice monotone. Without another word, Steve moves back, away from her...as if he feels betrayed. The pit in Y/N's stomach returns, this time so big she feels like it might swallow her whole. And in a way, she's not sure if that would be such a bad thing. Her mind swims with even more confusing thoughts. She feels incredibly guilty about how Steve's feeling now, and she wishes she hadn't even said anything. Which is fucking insane. This man is a psychopath who has hurt so many people...and she's still worried about hurting his feelings? Sure, she and Steve might be friends, but they're not even that close. And yet...a part of her knows that's not even true. Because after everything she has been through with Steve Kemp...deep down, Y/N knows they're far closer than she wants to admit. She really needs to figure things out once and for all.

The following day, Y/N walks into work, ready to try and tell Nick that she doesn't think their kiss was such a good idea. Although she feels torn up about it, she knows it's the right choice. She can't string Nick along when she's still unsure about who her true feelings are for. And, of course, Steve told her that he could make the people who hurt her disappear, and she doesn't really want Nick to be killed or hurt because of her. Y/N finds Nick in his office, typing something into his computer.

"Morning. Nice to see you. You look really pretty today." He smiles at the sight of her. The sight of Nick's smile is still enough to send butterflies throughout her stomach. And she's going to ruin it all, like she usually does.

"Hey. Thanks." She replies. "Listen, Nick-"

"No. Let me. I know we both kissed each other, but I'm sorry if I came across as too forward with my kiss the other night and you felt obligated to kiss me back. You're my new co-worker, and I shouldn't have crossed that line. You're a nice girl, and hurting you is the last thing I'd want to do to you." Y/N gasps. Nobody has ever been like this with her before or cared so much about her feelings. Well, Steve said that he does...but like she said, Nick isn't like that. He seems sweet and courteous. And he's not a cannibal or a serial killer. Not that she knows of, anyway.

"No. No, please don't worry. I liked it." She replies. Nick grins, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Oh, thank god. I was so worried I messed things up. Maybe we could...go out again sometime then?" Y/N's cheeks go pink. Her thoughts go back to what she wanted to say: tell Nick Fowler to run as far away as he can and never get involved with her. And yet, Y/N decides not to do that. Because, after all, she's right. Steve Kemp has no control over her or her dating life, and she refuses to let him have any now. She finally has a chance at happiness with a good, normal guy, and she doesn't want to lose it. Especially not due to Steve. Although she knows that her mind will refuse to let her forget Steve, she at least has to try, right? And if all else fails, she still has a way to deal with her thoughts about Steve. And so, Y/N nods, and Nick smiles.

"Yeah, Nick, that would be lovely, thanks. Also, Steve said he'd like to meet you the next time I see him. I was actually going to see him now, if you'd like to join me?" Nick nods, getting up, grabbing his coat and following her to the car

The pair soon reach the prison, and Y/N leads Nick towards Steve's cell. As their footsteps echo across the hallway, Y/N can feel her heart rate rising. Although she said she's not going to let Steve have any control over her dating life, it doesn't mean she still isn't worried about taking her new boyfriend to meet him. She looks over at Nick, confidently striding ahead. She and Nick have only kissed once, so she can't really call him her boyfriend. Even so, she wouldn't be opposed to it.

Soon, they reach Steve's cell, and he steps forward towards them, grinning. Y/N gulps. Here it comes.

"Hello, Y/N. I see you've brought a friend for me to play with." He chuckles. Nick's eyes widen, and he clears his throat.

"Hello, Steve. My name is Agent Nick Fowler, and I'm-"

"No. No." Steve cuts Nick off almost immediately, shaking his head. "You can call me Mr Kemp or Doctor Kemp, and only those. You do not get to call me Steve. Only Y/N has that privilege." Although she's slightly taken aback by Steve's comment, Y/N still smiles proudly at it. Conflicting feelings aside, at least it shows she's doing an excellent job connecting with him. On the other hand, Nick is stunned for a few moments. He looks at Y/N, frowning slightly.

"I see." He chuckles awkwardly.

"You two might be the Agents here, but as Y/N will tell you, I'm very much the one who calls the shots here."

"He's right." Y/N nods, whilst Nick continues to frown a little.

"Well, shall we begin?" Steve asks.

As the trio starts their meeting and Y/N and Nick present their information and viewpoints, Y/N soon realises that Steve is giving Nick the same treatment as she did when they first met. As in, be unwelcoming and slightly scary. However, with Nick, Steve seems to be taking things even further. Every time Nick says something or suggests something to add to the case, Steve shakes his head and deconstructs his comment...or rather, tears it to shreds. And it makes her feel awful for Nick. Especially since she can see the frustration brewing under his face. When Nick steps out to answer a call, Y/N turns to Steve, frowning.

"You could be nicer to him, you know. He's here to help me." She orders. Steve sighs, rolling his eyes.

"It's what I do. You know that." Y/N raises a brow.

"You don't usually tear all of my comments to shreds. Even when you did, it was only when I made some negative comments about you." She reminds him, a small chuckle escaping her lips.

"Yes, but you're different. You're...you, you're Y/N. My Y/N." Steve replies, whispering the last part under his breath, yet still loud enough for her to hear. Y/N can feel the heat rising in her cheeks, and she's sure she's turning a bright red. Her mind goes back to when Steve looked conflicted about her being out with Nick, if only for a second. And now, there's this. Why does he seem so dead set on pulling her and Nick apart? Because when he says things like that, it makes her feel differently. Of course, she's still trying to forget Steve in favour of Nick, but she just wishes Steve wouldn't make it so hard and conflicting for her to do. The pair suddenly hear Nick clearing his throat, and they look over at him.

"Sorry to cut this meeting short, but Y/N, we're needed back at the office." He states, his voice monotone. He doesn't even make eye contact with her, making her frown. More than that, though, it makes her feel hurt. She didn't even do anything to him, so why is he acting like this all of a sudden? Sure, Steve hasn't exactly been the most welcoming to him, but he's like that with everyone, and it's not her fault that he's like that.

Y/N glances over at Steve, unwilling to go. "I guess I better go." She chuckles awkwardly, expecting Steve to make another comment at Nick. However, she realises his facial expression has softened, and he gives her a small smile.

"Will you be okay?" He whispers, leaning in so Nick doesn't hear. Although she can't deny she's thankful for his concern for her, Y/N doesn't see why he's so worried about her. And so, she nods.

"Come on, Y/N, let's go!" Nick calls, huffing.

"Just a moment, please, Mr Fowler." Steve demands. Y/N gasps.

"Steve, don't be so-"

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" He asks again, cutting her off. "Please tell me." He asks. Y/N's brows furrow together. Despite how nice it feels to have Steve care so much about her, she's still not used to it. Not to mention that she's still not sure why he's so concerned about her leaving with Nick. However, she doesn't have too much time to think about that, so she nods again, bidding her final goodbyes to Steve and exiting the cell.

As they walk back towards the elevator and get in, Y/N looks over at Nick. He's staring straight ahead, refusing to talk to her. Y/N can feel her heart sink again. What is it with him? She's not even done anything wrong, yet he's clearly punishing her for something. Y/N waits for him to say something from the moment they get out of the elevator until they're led out to Nick's car. Nick's silent the whole time. His silence is agony for Y/N, and it only makes her more confused and upset.

When they both get into Nick's car, Y/N sighs. She has to ask him what's going on. It's now or never. "Nick?" She asks, breaking the silence between them. "Is something wrong? You seem mad at me." Nick scoffs.

"What was that about?" Nick asks. Y/N frowns.

"What was what about?"

"Don't be silly."

"Nick, I really don't understand what it is that-"

"Why are you so buddy-buddy with Steve? Sorry, Mister Kemp?" He demands, rounding on her suddenly. The tone of his voice makes her jump slightly, and she frowns. "Oh, come on, you can't possibly tell me you haven't noticed. He thinks you're his fucking friend." She can feel her chest beginning to ache, and she shakes her head. One thought enters her mind. Does Nick think she's a monster too? No. He can't. She's only just started being with him. She can't lose him now.

"Nick...I have to act like that! It's part of my job. I do it with all the other criminals I work with, and it's not because I'm friends with any of them. And I'm sure you have to be the same when you work with criminals to try and get them to cooperate like you're trying to do with Steve." Nick rolls his eyes, huffing. Y/N can feel herself getting angrier. Why the fuck is he acting like a child?

"Whatever, let's just drop it." Nick sighs, beginning to drive them to the office. Folding her arms with a huff, Y/N slinks back into her seat. Her mind swims with conflicted, pained thoughts. Of course, she knows that her and Steve's relationship must be weird for people who've never seen them both together, but surely someone like Nick must understand why she has to do this? Y/N can feel her eyes stinging slightly with tears, and she sighs frustratedly. Things with Nick were going so well this morning, so why does he have to be a dick now? Y/N looks over at Nick, his eyes focused on the road. He might be a dick right now, but fuck, he is cute.

Nick and Y/N sit through the drive to the office in awkward silence. A few times, Y/N wants to say something, to demand what the hell his problem is, but she's too worried that she might actually start crying if she does. When Nick pulls up outside her house, she turns, ready to say something. At least if something goes wrong, she can just run inside her house. Hopefully, it won't come to that, though. As Y/N is just about to open her mouth...Nick opens his instead.

"Hey. Look." He sighs. Y/N frowns. "I'm really sorry about that. I was being a dick."

"Yeah, you were." Y/N agrees, and both of them chuckle slightly.

"I was just worried about meeting Steve in case he hated me, and well, I think he does."

"He's just like that with everyone he meets. Don't take it personally." Y/N reassures him, taking his hand and interlinking her fingers with his. He doesn't have to know that Steve has seemed interested in her ever since they first met...and vice versa. Nick smiles.

"I know. It just didn't help. And hearing how he talks to you made me feel even worse." He explains. Y/N starts to feel a little better. Although Nick's original refusal to explain to her made her upset, and she's still confused about why he was so upset, at least he apologised. "However, it wasn't right for me to take it out on you. I should've trusted your opinion the first time, and I probably won't join you and Steve as much. I really am sorry, Y/N." Y/N sits there, taking a moment to think things over. "Do you forgive me?" Nick asks, giving her slight puppy dog eyes. Y/N sighs. She is a sucker for blue eyes, after all.

"Yes, Nick, I do accept your apology. Even though you were being a dick." Nick's cheeks flush, and he nods. Before Y/N can say anything else, he leans close, kissing her lips softly. Y/N moans happily, melting into the kiss.

"You're the best." He whispers when they pull apart, making her grin. However, despite Nick's praise of her, a part of her still thinks back to what Steve said, and why he seemed so concerned about letting her leave with Nick. Is there something about him that Steve recognises and Y/N doesn't? Hopefully not. She definitely can't handle two dangerous men in her life. One is bad enough. However, as Nick tenderly cups her cheeks as he kisses her, Y/N knows her worries are unfounded. It's probably just Steve being possessive and unwilling to let her have some new male attention. Nick's totally fine.

Nick's perfect, actually.

"You know, despite how irritating your new friend Mr Fowler is, he is accommodating when he wants to be." Steve tells Y/N the next time she sees him.

"Hey, be nice, Steve. He was worried enough about meeting you. And you're right. He's been really helpful to you." Y/N points out. Steve chuckles.

"After all, it's thanks to him that I can move freely about my own cell." He states, turning to show Y/N that the cable attaching him to the wall is gone. "And he even loosened these a little." He lifts his handcuffed wrists, wriggling his hands a little for emphasis. Y/N gulps. Although Steve has repeatedly told her that she's safe around him by this point, Y/N still doesn't believe him entirely. After all, who would?

"Anyway, enough about our...friend. Shall we continue?" He asks. Y/N nods. "And now, I can finally hold a file...sort of. Pass it to me." He orders. Y/N nods and begins rooting around in her bag for it.

"Here we go." She announces, passing it over. As she does so, her fingers delicately brush against Steve's. And it feels so much more different than when Nick does it. In fact, it feels much better. She swears she even feels sparks up her entire arm. A soft gasp escapes Y/N's lips before she can even stop it, and she's sure her heart skips a beat a little. She looks up, expecting Steve to make another comment at her expense, or smirk. In other words, to do anything that she knows him for. She'd even accept him making her feel even worse.

However, to her surprise, Steve looks just as conflicted as she does. Y/N also notices a small smile growing on his face...one that she swears is more genuine than any other one she's ever seen. As far as she can tell, there's no malice behind it and no intent to cause fear to her...it just seems to be a natural, happy smile. She even thinks she sees a light blush filling his cheeks for a moment. Seeing Steve smiling and blushing like that is strange. Ignoring his past, he just looks like any other regular man, smiling about interacting with someone he has a crush on. And the girl making him feel like that is her. Y/N feels a weird feeling in her stomach again. However, this time...it's not a churning, unpleasant feeling...it's more like a swarm of butterflies is trapped in her stomach. Only one thought fills her mind.

Does Steve Kemp, the fucking Portland Cannibal...have a crush on her? Because with that smile...it seems like he might. Her cheeks turn slightly pink, and a small smile crosses her cheeks too. Before she can say anything, though, or even begin to unpack anything that just happened in the past minute, Steve clears his throat, dropping the smile. "Apologies, Y/N. I didn't mean to do that." He chuckles awkwardly, clearly a little flustered.

"It's okay." She reassures him, her voice soft. In response, Steve smiles again, returning the butterflies to her stomach. That is, however, until they both realise where they are and what just happened between them both. Steve's smile drops once again, whilst she still feels like her mind is going a mile a minute. Y/N frowns. This can't be real. She has to be dreaming. There's no way. Steve Kemp cannot be in love with her. Of course, Steve often stares at her body or makes comments about it, but she just assumed that was to try and scare her or because of his cannibalistic tendencies. He's never once been this...softly spoken or embarrassed around her. And in a way, that makes it even worse for her. Because Y/N has spent this whole time worried about their feelings for each other with none of this happening, and yet it happens when she finds Nick, the one person she actually wants to try with? Either way, she can't let it happen again or let it affect her and Nick's relationship.

"Anyway...let's actually get started, shall we?" Steve orders, and she can tell he also wants to forget what happened. So, she nods. Because even though she knows both of them seem into it, and despite how much they want it to continue, there's no way it can.

In the days and weeks since her and Steve's little...moment, both have been trying their best to continue as usual, despite how awkward it is between them. Meanwhile, Y/N's relationship with Nick seems to be going strong...mainly because she's thrown herself into it as a way to forget Steve, despite her mind's seemingly constant attempts to make her think of him. She does really like him, she just hopes he can change her mind about Steve too. Although they've only been working together for a few weeks, Y/N and Nick swear that they already know each other really well by this point. Both inside and out.

Nick leans down, kissing Y/N hungrily and deeply, making her moan happily. "Oh god, that sound is like music to my ears." He whispers.

"I'll let you hear it some more then." She breathes, sitting up and kissing him even more. Nick chuckles, grinning. Nick's fingers run lower, pulling down her pyjama shorts. He looks down at her panties, noticing how wet they already seem to be.

"You're wet already, and I haven't even touched you yet?" Nick smirks, peering down at Y/N, who lays squirming on her bed as she feels the warmth and wetness between her legs growing. "So much for being a good girl."

"You try to hide it and play the good little girl...but I see right through you." Steve's words from Y/N's dream replay in her mind as soon as Nick says those words and Y/N whimpers. Nick grins, clearly thinking the whimper was for him, whilst Y/N gasps. Why the fuck is he in her mind now? Of all the times, why now?

Nick's eyes narrow, and he asks: "Are you wet just for me, and only for me?" Y/N nods, slowly becoming too horny and too focused on pushing Steve out of her mind to even try and answer him.

"Only for you, Nick. I told you, Steve is nothing to me. He's just a job." She replies, unsure of whether she's trying to convince herself or Nick of that. Nick raises a brow, and Y/N nods vigorously as if that'll help quell either of their worries about Steve. Thankfully though, it seems to work, and Nick moves down to her crotch, wrapping his fingers around the elastic waistband of her knickers. Nick's fingers brushing against her hips and waist causes her skin to tingle and shiver, and Y/N lets out a small whimper, making Nick's smile grow even more. Suddenly, Nick pulls the waistband of her underwear, letting the elastic snap hard against her skin. Y/N gasps a little, and Nick chuckles.

"Sorry, darling." He grins. "I think I should show people who you really belong to." Before Y/N can even respond, Nick traces down her neck, biting into her skin. Y/N yelps loudly, which only spurs Nick on to continue. "I know it must hurt, baby, but I promise you, I really am sorry. It just has to be done." He shrugs with a smirk, biting into her neck once more, even harder. So hard she swears she can feel herself beginning to bleed, and she lets out a cry in pain. Surprisingly, Y/N finds that she likes being bitten more than she thought she would, so as Nick continues to bite, she moans deeply and gutturally. Soon, she feels Nick lifting his lips from her neck. Her eyes flicker over to where he kneels over her, watching him as he begins to trace his finger down her neck and over the area he bit. Once finished, he lifts his finger, licking the blood off with a grin, smearing a little over the top of his lips in the process. "You taste so good...and you're all mine." He whispers. Y/N moans. The warmth between her thighs grows even more, so much so she feels like she might explode if she doesn't get fucked soon.

"Nick, Nick, please." She begs. Nick chuckles.

"Oh, I know. But you have to be patient, darling. I've just tasted you, so I'll need to wait before doing it again, alright?" He sighs, shaking his head. Y/N groans, clenching her bedsheets in the hopes it keeps her going before Nick continues. Nick continues to kneel over her, grinning as Y/N's body tingles and as she continues to clench her sheets even tighter.

"Nick...Please...." She whimpers, looking up at him, her eyes wide and pleading. Pleading for him to just fuck her already. Nick smirks.

"You know, you look good covered in my bite marks. I should take a photo and show it to Steve the next time we see him together, don't you think?" As soon as those words leave his mouth, Y/N gasps, immediately feeling less attracted to Nick, and slightly more hornier for Steve. Why the fuck would he say that? Why would he bring Steve into this, especially when she's been trying so hard to forget him? "I'm kidding! I'm kidding! ...He'll notice anyway." Nick grins, gesturing to her neck. Y/N doesn't even think she takes those words in. Steve has entered her brain once more, and her dirty thoughts about both him and Nick have gone into overdrive. So much so, in fact, that she doesn't even notice that Nick has already pulled down her underwear and begun to taste her. Of course, the sensation of Nick's tongue moving across her cunt begins to make her toes curl and tingle, and she starts to gasp as she feels the orgasm begin to grow. However, her mind is too preoccupied to entirely focus on Nick.

Y/N closes her eyes tightly in the hopes it blocks out her thoughts of Steve. However, it doesn't work, and she can still picture his smile and laugh in her mind...and all the dirty thoughts and dreams she had about him. The ones she swore to ignore, push aside, and the ones now rushing back to her, making her even more aroused. And despite how many times she's tried to push those thoughts out of her mind and ignore them, she doesn't think she wants to anymore. The orgasm continues to build, and Y/N doesn't know if it's solely because of Nick's actions anymore.

"Yes...yes...." She whispers as Nick continues to trace patterns across her clit with his tongue, as Steve's praise of her echoes in her mind, and as her thoughts go to the things she would let Steve do to her. Her whispers gradually grow louder and louder in volume as the orgasm builds even more until she lets out a scream of "YES!" as she finishes, and the ecstasy rocks her body, making her entire body shiver. Y/N lays there, panting as she feels her body and mind begin to calm down.

"Good girl." She hears a voice say. A voice that definitely isn't Nick's. She opens her eyes, and to her horror, she sees the face of Steve Kemp staring down at her. He smirks. "What was that you said about still being scared of me?"

"Oh my god!" She gasps, urgently biting her tongue so she doesn't scream and closing her eyes. Oh god. Oh fuck. Oh shit. Oh FUCK. Of course, she knows Steve isn't really here, but still, picturing the face of a serial killer that you still aren't entirely sure of your feelings towards during and after you and your boyfriend have sex isn't a good thing.

"I know, right? That was incredible. You're incredible." Nick's voice sounds, supposedly none the wiser to Y/N's panic. Y/N opens her eyes, and she looks around the room quickly. Thankfully, there are no other signs of Steve anywhere, and she lets out a massive sigh of relief. Nick gets up, gently pecking her cheek and then climbs onto the bed, landing beside her with a soft "Oof." They both lay there for a while, and whilst Y/N tries to calm her brain down, she waits for something else, like Nick kissing or touching her some more. For him to do something that makes him the focus of her mind again, not Steve. However, that's it, and when she attempts to take his free hand, Nick lifts it, placing it on his chest, to her confusion. She knows he has just done a lot to her, and some would say it's far more than what was needed...but surely there's more than this afterwards? Y/N frowns, looking over at Nick. He's not even paying attention to her, too focused on scrolling through his phone.

Sighing, Y/N looks up at the ceiling. Maybe she is a little bit demanding, especially after what he's just done to her and who she was thinking of during part of it. Still, given that she's been talking about Nick as if he's the guy for her, the one to set her free from Steve Kemp's hold...for him to seemingly act like she doesn't even exist after they have sex is quite disheartening. Not least because a familiar part of her brain is telling her that Steve wouldn't do this to her.

"Right, I have to go. Got a lot of stuff to do." Nick announces suddenly. He gets up before she can say anything, grabbing his clothes and pressing a soft kiss to her cheek. "See you soon."

"Bye." She sighs sadly. Once he's gone, Y/N leans back, staring up at the ceiling. More thoughts enter her mind then, memories of when Nick first asked her about going to see Steve, how strange she found it when his smile fell, and how cruel he was when they first saw Steve together. Y/N brushed them off initially, but now with this, she's starting to wonder if all of these occurrences are a sign of something wrong with Nick. Something about him not being the same person she thought he was. Y/N groans. Already, her 'dream relationship with the perfect guy' might be falling apart at the seams.

Maybe she's just destined to be alone at this rate, her only 'friend' a cannibal. Y/N's body shudders. No. She can't lose Nick already. She has to fight for him. And besides, she's used to working with far worse people, so in the scheme of things, Nick being a bit worse than she expected is nothing...hopefully, anyway.

The next time Y/N goes to see Steve, Nick still cannot join her, which makes her feel a little better, if only because it means Nick won't be showing him photos of her in her underwear. That would've been a fucking nightmare. However, as their meeting continues, Y/N soon realises that something seems off with Steve. He doesn't seem his usual self and is quieter than normal. He also doesn't want to meet her eyes too often, which isn't like him.

"Are you okay, Steve?" She asks suddenly.

"Do you love him, Y/N?" He responds, his voice softer. His question takes her off guard, and for a moment, Y/N frowns, realising she doesn't know how to answer his question. Steve scoffs. "Please. Don't act like I haven't noticed the way you look at Nick, or how he looks at you...or even the marks on your neck." Y/N cheeks flush, and she moves her hand around her neck in a futile attempt to cover the bite marks Nick left. She wanted to wear them around the office like a badge of pride, to show all her judgemental co-workers that she belongs to Nick Fowler. And now, they just make her feel guilty and ashamed. "Surely you know me well enough by now to know that I notice things like this. Especially things to do with you."

"Steve, I was just...." She begins, and Steve shakes his head again, sighing.

"Please don't try to dodge the subject Y/N." He orders, his voice slightly firmer. And yet...she still picks up on its softness. "Do you love Nick?" He repeats. Y/N stammers, gasping. She wasn't expecting to be asked this, especially not by Steve.

"I don't know, Steve! I haven't really thought that far ahead!" Y/N exclaims. "Why are you asking me this anyway?" Steve shrugs.

"I just don't like him very much." He admits. Y/N is silent for a moment, blinking in shock. Frustration begins to build within and take hold of her. A frustration made up of all the times Steve scared her, yet she still had to come back to him, the times he kept showing up in her mind, despite how much she tried to stop it. Especially when she was having sex with Nick. Because even though she enjoyed thinking of Steve, Y/N still knows it shouldn't have happened in the first place. And of course, frustration that she thought she'd found a good person in Nick, someone to finally take her mind off of Steve Kemp...and yet here Steve is, messing it up for her once again. Like she keeps saying: why does it matter so much to Steve who she likes and spends time with? Who says that he has to have any say in her relationships?

"Yeah, well, you murdered, ate people and sold their body parts to make a living, so I'm sorry, Steve, but I'm really not going to get my moral judgments from someone like you." Y/N snaps. She expects Steve to get angry and fire back with another threatening response like he always does. However, Steve seems taken aback by her comment, and for a moment, it's as if he visibly winces. Seeing Steve reacting in such a way makes Y/N feel a slight pang of guilt in her chest. However, that moment is short-lived, as her own frustration and confusion that have built up for weeks take over once more...and it's aimed directly at the one source of her frustration and confusion. Y/N steps closer to Steve, fully aware that he can freely walk right up to her now. Steve's ability to get closer to her used to something that terrified her. Now though, she doesn't even care. "And besides, what does it matter to you? If I'm happy being with Nick, that's fine! It's none of your business who I like!" She points out.

Steve sighs, nodding. "You're right. I don't have any right to do that or to judge people's actions. But...I don't trust him. Something seems off, and I don't want you getting hurt or caught in the crossfire. You know I care about you a lot, don't you?" For a second, Y/N feels a slight agreement with Steve's words. After all, she's also been questioning Nick's intentions and words. Once again, that feeling is short lived, and soon the anger overtakes Y/N once more.

"Well, I'm sorry, Steve, but nobody asked you to feel like that. It's just a job, after all. I came here to solve a case, not get dating advice from you." Steve clenches his fists, and he turns his head to her.

"You know damn well that that's not the truth anymore. For you or for me." Steve snaps. However, Y/N can pick up on the pain in his voice. "Come on, Y/N, tell me the truth. Tell me it's still just a job for you after all this. Tell me that we haven't formed a bond."

"I...I." Y/N stammers, trying to find the words to say. The words to tell Steve that it is just a job and that she doesn't feel for him. But she can't. Because deep down, she knows it's not true. Steve scoffs.

"I knew it. You just can't admit that you know I'm right." A silence falls amongst the pair then, and as Y/N begins to calm down, she realises the full implications of what Steve said. Does he...feel the same way about her? Is he just as conflicted? Y/N looks up, looking into the eyes of the man she's been questioning herself and her feelings about for months now. The man who she thought she might be in love with. As their eyes meet once more, Steve gives her a small smile as if their argument from a few minutes ago is all but a distant memory. Y/N can feel her heart rate rising once more. She steps closer, closer towards the man who used to terrify and confuse her, and still does...but in a way, she thinks she's starting to figure out her true feelings. She opens her mouth, ready to say something. However, the silence is interrupted by Y/N's phone ringing. Sighing, she pulls it out.

"It-It's Nick." She can hear Steve sighing, which makes her feel even worse. "I have to take this. I'm sorry."

"Do you?" Steve asks, raising a brow. Steve even gives her a look as if he's begging her to stay. And for a moment, it works, and Y/N considers ignoring the call and just staying here with Steve. With the maniac who might be in love with her. And who she might be in love with back. However, just as she's about to hang up the call, she remembers the person Steve is, and despite how he might be in love with her and how good that might feel...there's no way she could ever be with him. And so, she sighs, shaking her head and answering the call.

"Yeah? Hey Nick. ...I know, I know! I'll be back soon, alright? Okay, see you soon. Bye." She hangs up and glances back at Steve. His face has completely changed. He looks annoyed, but Y/N still notices some hurt underlying his expression. As if he's betrayed by the fact that she still chose Nick over him, even despite Steve's concerns. And that expression makes her feel even worse.

"Steve...look, it's my job, and I-" She begins, but he shakes his head, signifying not to bother. He turns away from her, and although she knows that she is part of the reason why...okay, the whole reason why Steve is feeling this way, Y/N is suddenly filled with a desire to stay. "No, wait! Steve, listen to me, please." She argues. Steve doesn't turn around.

"Just go Y/N. Go be with Nick." He replies. She tries to argue back, but Steve's voice speaks again. "I told you to leave Y/N. Remember when I told you that I'd get the guards to make you leave?" Y/N's mind goes back to that. It was when she met Steve for the first time. Back then, she was more worried that she might never solve the case if she and Steve fell out. Now, she's worried because they're most likely in love with each other, despite both of them refusing to admit it, or accept it. And now they might lose each other forever...and it's all her fault. How times have changed.

At least this time, she knows there's no further point in arguing when he says those words. Even though she wants to. As Y/N turns to go, she gives one last glance to Steve, feeling a pang in her chest, this time one larger and more painful than ever before. "I'm sorry, Steve." She tells him. As she walks away, one thought enters her mind. This is what she wanted, after all. Y/N was upset about how seemingly close she was getting to Steve and wanted to stop thinking about him or stop seeing him until she figured out her feelings for him.

And now, it seems she got her wish.

And she feels awful about it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 67 18
They never tell you what to do when five girls from your school go missing. They never tell you what to do when you witness them getting murdered in...
62.1K 1.8K 36
πŸ”žπŸ”žπŸ”žπŸ”žπŸ”žπŸ”žπŸ”ž Agent Grace Williamson was recommended to Doctor Lecter - by Alana Bloom - to ask him to accompany her on identifying murderers and p...
48.7K 1.1K 16
πŸ”žπŸ”žπŸ”ž You are working towards being part of the FBI at the University Of Virginia. You get assigned to a case that just opened up by Jack Crawford...
41.6K 693 42
What would they do to satisfy their hunger? How long will it be until they go insane? For these competitors, they'll do anything to win, even if it m...