If I Stay✔️

By ShanLivx

BOOK 2 L E O Two years have passed for Leo and his siblings and yet his heart breaking secrets remain hidden... More

1
C H A R A C T E R S
P L A Y L I S T
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43 - Jalex
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80 - part one
80 - part two
80 - part three
81
82
83| I've got you, brother
84 | i can be your hero baby
85 | seventeen going under
86
87
88| everything i wanted
89
90
91
92
93
94 | part one
94| part two
95
96: part 1| ELEO
96: part 2| ELEO
97| January 25th.
Future Book Info
BONUS: Prom Night [1]

62

5K 205 325
By ShanLivx

A/N: some of you may be shocked when you realise I've written a whole 7000 word chapter of — que the gasps of disbelief —  nothing but happiness.

L E O

"Bssssst."

I felt a poke to my shoulder, my eyes squinting as I took in Charlie's beaming face. He stared at me creepily, in a way that reminded me of those freaky porcelain dolls my grandmother used to own. I blinked, twice, thrice. My vision taking a moment to fully adjust in the sunrise lit room.

"Charlie?" I said, my voice tainted with fatigue due to my lack of sleep. The voices had amplified in volume last night after my session with Charlie, never giving my mind a break as they continued to plague me with their dark whispers. "What time is it?"

"Breakfast time." He responded in a hushed voice that sounded far too cheery for the time of day. "C'mon," he poked my shoulder again, "I've got a surprise for you." He sang.

Hoping to drown out Charlie's voice, I tugged the blanket over my face and turned away from him. My body aching with exhaustion at the slight movement as I held back a wince. I didn't care about any surprises, nothing could cheer me up right now, not with how uneasy I felt.

"Unless your surprise is a dose of Valium can you fuck off? I'm tired, Char." I groggily told him. He tutted loudly in response and in a flash, the safety net that was my blanket was tugged harshly away from my body. "Charlie, please."

"Nope, no, nada." I cracked one eye open, watching as he shook his head vigorously from side to side. "Get up, I've arranged a very special day for you. So stop being a lazy little shit and get your ass out of bed whilst the day is still young, Leo."

"The day will still be young for another like eight hours, can't this wait?"

————

Evidently, it couldn't wait.

I sat silently, my head resting against the passenger side window as Charlie drove us to the destination that I still wasn't aware of.

Apparently he'd been given permission from Beth to take me off site for the day. How he managed to convince that woman I'll never know. I'd only met Beth a few times, but from what I've gathered she wasn't one for bending the rules.

"How did you manage to convince Beth to allow this?"

Charlie glanced at me, a smug old smirk on his lips as his fingers tapped against the steering wheel along to the exact beat of the song playing from the radio in the background.

"Please, Beth can't say no to this pretty face now, can she?"

"Apparently not." I hummed.
She definitely could. 

"I don't like your tone, Le." Charlie pursed his lips, his eyes drifting from the road ahead to me. "Beth thinks I'm a stud, therefore I used my obvious charm to convince her to let us have a Lechar day."

"Lechar?" I gaped at him. What in the Atlas is this shit. "What kind of name is that?"

"It's a mix of both our names. It was either that or Chareo which sounded far too close to cheerio." Charlie frowned, "Don't you like it?"

"No. It's horrible." I told him bluntly. "Why not just stick to a Charlie and Leo day?"

"Booooring." Charlie sang. "Oh we're here!"

I looked away from him, my eyes landing on the small diner in front of us. Betty's Diner. A lump formed in my throat as memories flashed before my eyes. I'd came to this place regularly with Lily and our friends. It was the go-to spot in town for some good, cheap food.

"You good, Le?" Charlie's voice was soft, no playful teasing found in his tone like before.

"Mhm," I hummed, gulping harshly. My shaky hands moving to unclip the seat belt that felt more like a noose than anything else. "Just haven't been here in a while."

"Good or bad memories?" Charlie asked quietly, almost sounding hesitant.

"Good." I looked at him, my chin lowered a little due to the embarrassment I felt at freaking out over something so silly. "'M just being stupid, Char." I waved my hand dismissively.

"Don't do that." Charlie's hand gripped mine mid wave. "You're not stupid, Le. Not one bit. It makes sense for you to feel uneasy, this place has memories of a time where you felt different to how you do now. So yeah, it's gonna be emotional for you. If anything — and I mean anything bothers you at all today just talk to me, kay? I may not be able to chase all your demons away, kiddo, but for you, I'll sure as hell try my best to rid of as many as I can."

Letting out a watery chuckle, I responded.
"You sound like something from the ghostbusters."

Charlie grinned. "So who you gonna call?"

"You just ruined the moment, Char."

"You just ruined the moment, Char." He mocked in a high pitched whiny voice. "Shut up."

"No you."

————

"So," Charlie pulled into one of the many free parking spaces before turning to me. He looked a little nervous, uneasy even in a way that made my whole body tense. "I hope you don't mind... I've invited a guest along today — someone I really really want you to meet."

"Okay..." I dragged the word out, ignoring how heart rate increased at his confession. Twisting my hands together nervously, my eyes drifted around the empty carpark before locking to Charlie's honey coloured set. "Who?"

"... Tyler."

"Your little brother?"

"Mhm." Charlie hummed, his eyes scanning my face searching for any signs of apprehension. "Is that okay? I think you'll like him."

The tension in my shoulders eased a little, my lips tilting a little as a twinge of warmth spread through me. He wants me to meet his brother?

"You want to introduce me to him?" Charlie nodded. "But... why?"

"'Cause you're important to me, Le." The sincerity of his words catching me off guard. I'm important? "And anyone important to me has to meet the most important person in my life."

"Oh-kay." I whispered, too overcome with emotion to say anything else. You're important to me too, Charlie.

Charlie smiled as if he'd heard my inner thoughts. Flicking his finger off my forehead, he gestured his head to the diner.

"Let's head inside, yeah?"

————

Tyler was easy to spot.

He didn't look exactly like how I'd expected him too, or, well, he did—ish.

He looked like the younger version of Charlie, which I did expect. The same fluffy mess of blonde hair, golden honey eyes and overly cheery smile plastered on his lips that made his face hard to miss. The only visible differences between the two brothers that I'd noticed were: the slit in Tyler's eyebrow, his dark clothes which contrasted to Charlie's light, and the silver hoop in his left nostril. Other than that, and the age difference, the two men could pass for twins.

"Hey!" Tyler greeted in a very enthusiastic voice as we approached the table.
Oh god another one.

He stood from his seat as we neared, offering me a small — almost shy wave as he pulled his older brother into a bear hug. I didn't return his wave, only responding with a small, barely audible "Hi," and a half hearted smile as I took my seat.

Charlie hugged Tyler just as tight, pulling back and ruffling his hair, similar to how Zac does to me, before they both took their seats. Charlie sat next to me, Tyler directly across from his brother.

"So you're the famous Leo?" Tyler asked, his voice almost a replica of Charlie's.

I hummed. "I don't know about famous."

"Pleaseeee," Tyler dragged the word out and raised both of his eyebrows, his teeth showing fully as he smiled at me. "Charlie's been desperate for me to meet you for like..." he paused, rubbing his chin in thought. "A whole year now. So, yeah, you're famous to me."

"Okay..." I blinked.
What do I say now?

I've never been in a situation where I've felt this awkward. Usually, I don't care about what people think of me. I'm not a chatty person, never have been, and whilst Tyler's bubbily persona is beyond sickening, I still wanted him to like me. For Charlie.

"Um, so... you're seventeen?" I stammered, ringing my hands together nervously. I felt the unfamiliar feeling of colour reaching my cheeks as Charlie hid his grin behind his palm at my clear discomfort. What a stupid question!

"Yeah." Tyler responded, jolting a little in his seat, his own grin widening as Charlie winced. "Ignore him," he told me. "You're fifteen, right?"

"Mhm." I didn't know what else to add. Is this how hard it is to hold a conversation?

Silence fell upon Tyler and I as Charlie left the table to place our order. I didn't even tell him what I wanted... A small part of me was desperate to grip his sleeve and beg for him to stay or to take me with him. I didn't like this, I had no clue what to do or say and I didn't want to make a fool out of myself in front of Charlie's brother.

"Charlie said you like Art?" Tyler's hesitant voice broke the silence.

Cautiously, I lifted my eyes to his.

"Yeah." I paused, watching as Tyler's shoulders fell a little at my one word response. Bitting the corner of my lip, I pushed past my unease and asked. "Do you?"

"Me? Yeah!" He nodded enthusiastically, his eyes brightening at the shared interest. "I'm actually hoping to go to Art school after high school ends. But I'm only a junior right now, so I still have my whole senior year to do." He groaned.

"Really!" I, shockingly, returned his enthusiasm. "That sounds like a dream. I'd love to go to Art school but I'd hate the thought of sharing my drawings with other people."

"Ahhh, so you're a feelings and emotions type of artist then?" Tyler leaned forward a little, his hands supporting his jaw as he braced his elbows on the table between us.

"Yeah... aren't you?" I thought everyone was.

"Not so much. Sometimes. I mean, I like to draw based on emotions but I tend to work from landscapes and things like that. Anything else is as you said, a little too personal." Tyler paused for a moment. "I could show you some of my drawings and paintings one day... I mean... if you want?"

A little flabbergasted at his kindness, I nodded slowly, a grin tugging at my lips. "Yeah... I'd like that." I'd really like that.

"That's great!" Tyler beamed. "I'll get Charlie to arrange a time."

"Charlie will arrange a time for what?" Charlie asked as he returned to the table. Taking his previous seat beside me, he looked between Tyler and I suspiciously.

"Leo wants to see my paintings." Tyler told him.

Charlie's eyes widened a fraction, his gaze finding mine in an instant. "Yeah? You do?"

"Yeah..." I nodded, a genuine smile on my lips.

Charlie swallowed thickly, his eyes shinning with a look of pride as he continued to stare at me. "That's great, Le." He ruffled my hair. Leaning closer to me, he whispered. "I'm so proud of you."

Proud? Of me?

"Really?" I asked, my voice quiet and vulnerable. "You're proud of me?"

Charlie grinned. "Always, kiddo."

Before I could get the chance to respond, a waitress approached our table. She looked far too at ease with the two plates balancing on her right arm, a third in her left hand. I never understood how anyone could carry so much with little to no effort. I know for a fact I'd end up dropping one, specifically the one she was balancing on her forearm.

"Three orders of french toast with bacon?" She asked as her and Charlie shared a weird look, almost as if they were communicating through their eyes.

My favourite breakfast.
How did Charlie know?

I looked at him suspiciously, to which he simply smiled. I heard the plates being placed on the table, though my eyes remained glued to my friend—therapist— whatever the fuck Charlie is to me.

"Eat your breakfast, Le." He told me, nodding his head towards my plate. The grin on his lips never faltering.

"How did you know what I liked?" I voiced my question, gulping down the wash of emotions that bubbled at the back of my throat. Emotions I'd never been used too.

"I know you." He said with a wink.

I shook my head, amused. Grabbing my fork, I took a glance at the meal in front of me. My eyes widened, my heart skipping a beat as I read the words written with syrup.

Happy Birthday Leo!

It was messy, child-like and sweet.
It was words that meant so much.
It was perfect.

My lip trembled, a thousand knifes poking my eyes as the sting became unbearable. Through my blurred vision, my gaze sought Charlie's. He was already looking at me, his eyes soft and a little shiny from his own tears. His hand reached to my shaky one, he enclosed his around mine, a gentle squeeze of reassurance as he whispered.

"Happy Birthday, Grumpy."

"It's not my birthday, Char." I whispered back, my voice choked up as my tears fell freely.

He smiled at me, sad but sweet.

"No," he agreed. "But today will be the birthday you, my friend have always deserved." He squeezed my hand again as more tears cascaded down my cheeks. "Now," he cleared his throat, his smile lifting to his previous grin. "Eat up before Ty steals your food. He's a little tubby boy at heart."

Tyler gasped. "I am not!"

Charlie turned to him, his eyes moving from Tyler to the empty in front of him. "You had three slices of French toast and what? Four of bacon? And you've inhaled it already, Ty. God, do you even chew?"

I laughed a little at Tyler's offended face.

"Oh fuck you, since when is it a crime to be a growing boy, Char? At least I'm an active teenager and not a pudgy adult whale like you."

Now it was Charlie's turn to be offended.

I smiled as I listened to their never ending argument. My whole body felt warm, butterflies of hope invading my stomach in swarms as I caught a glimpse of what a healthy sibling relationship should be. And for the first time in a long time, it didn't hurt for me to admit that I wanted what they had.

"Leo!" Tyler's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked at him, raising an eyebrow in response to my name. "Who's more tubby, Charlie or me?"

"Leo!" I turned to Charlie, his eyes narrowing on mine. "Remember who your friend is."

I raised my hands in surrender. "I do not believe in fat shaming. You'd both look good no matter what your size is." I said honestly.

Tyler rolled his eyes and muttered. "Pussy."

"Tyler's tubbier."

"Leo!" Tyler gaped at me and I stuck my tongue out at him, whilst Charlie pulled me into his side and said. "That's my boy."

"I'm not giving you my gift now." Tyler huffed, pulling a brown paper wrapped box onto his lap. "Not after you just attacked me so easily. It's a shame, Leo." He sighed loudly. "You'd have loved this." He gestured to the box with a Cheshire grin on his lips.

"A gift? For me?" I frowned. "Why?"

Both brothers rolled their eyes at me.
Freaky.

"It's your should've-been-birthday duh!" Tyler voiced. "Now, take back that statement and you'll have yourself an awesome gift."

"I can't, Ty." I said sadly, the nickname slipping out so effortlessly.

"Why not?" He frowned, even Charlie turned to me for my answer.

"Well, the whole point of therapy is about being honest and not lying about things." I held back a smile as I continued. "If I retract my statement then that would be me taking three steps forward only to take two steps back."

Charlie snorted a laugh whilst Tyler's mouth gaped in shock. "You're such a little shit." The younger stated.

"Give him his present, Ty." Charlie instructed, casting me an amused glance. "He deserves it after that response."

Tyler huffed again, wordlessly handing me the box. I stared at it for a few moments, why did Tyler get me a gift? He doesn't even know me. I looked at him, ready to ask said question until he spoke first.

"Shut up, don't ask and just open it." He told me, his words more playful than blunt. I continued to stare at him until he rolled his head and sighed. "You wouldn't go to a birthday party empty handed would you?"

"Yes." I would. I have.

"Jesus," Tyler groaned. "Just open the box, Leo."

Slowly, I tore away the messily wrapped brown paper with shaky hands. I hated opening gifts in front of other people, I always had this fear that they'd consider me to be ungrateful by how dull my reaction would no doubt be. Smile, Leo, just smile and say thank you. I reminded myself silently as I ripped away the last torn sheet.

"Wow." I didn't have to fake my awe as I stared at the fancy art set. "It's — wow... this must've been so expensive." I looked at Tyler, who was grinning in triumph, and shook my head. "I can't accept this, it's too much."

"Don't be silly," Tyler waved his hand dismissively. "Plus, don't worry about the price, I didn't pay for it anyway." Both Charlie and I looked at him with confusion. "I stole it." He clarified.

"You what?" Charlie screeched.

"Don't fret big brother dearest." Tyler nonchalantly remarked. "It's from one of those fancy art schools I visited last week. They're hardly going to miss it."

I sucked in my lips to suppress a chuckle.

"Tyler Elias De'Luca!" Charlie's voice was stern though Tyler only rolled his eyes at his older brother.

"Oh the middle name card." Tyler made a strange wiggling gesture with his fingers. "Chill, Char. I mean, I needed to get Leo a gift and this was a pretty last minute get together. What else was I meant to do?"

"Oh I don't know," Charlie feigned to be in deep thought whilst his eyes remained narrowed on his brother. "Maybe buy something? Seriously Ty!"

"Why buy when the school supply?" Tyler rhymed and I swore I could see steam coming from Charlie's ears. "Anyway," he turned to me. "Do you like it?"

"Like it? I love it." I told him honestly. "Thank you so much for stealing this for me."

"Anytime!"

"Oh God help me." Charlie groaned, running his hand over his eyes. "Let's move on, huh?" He handed me a large gift bag and I grew confused because he didn't have that when we got here. "Open it grumps."

"How did you get this here? You didn't have this in the car?" I asked, my fingers toying with the edge of the bag.

"Magic." Came Charlie's ever-so-witty response.

Opening the bag, I exhaled a chuckle as my eyes landed on the golden retriever stuffie. The stuffie itself was cute, the hilarious part was the fact the stuffed dog was wearing a t-shirt with Charlie's face on it.

"This is such a Carter gift." I laughed, pulling the stuffed dog out of the bag to show Tyler.

Charlie gasped dramatically. "I think I'm offended." He claimed, holding a hand to his chest. "I felt like me and Charlie Junior needed to add a triplet to your collection."

"My collection?"

"Well, yeah." Charlie nodded as if it was the most logical thing in the world. "You have me: human Charlie. You have Charlie: dog Charlie. And now you have him: stuffed Charlie. I felt it was unfair that he came looking so close to dog Charlie so I added my face to better the gift. Amazing, right?"

"That's one word for it." I managed to say, before adding. "Thank you?"

"You're welcome, Le." Charlie smiled. "Now open the rest."

I nodded and pulled the remaining gift from the bag: a small white envelope. Gently tearing the corner, my eyes grew wide as I read over the tickets that were inside.

"You got me tickets for the 1975?" I'd never been to a concert before.

"Mhm," Charlie hummed, grinning wider at my dumbfounded expression. "There's four extra tickets, too, incase you wanted to take your friends. And the show isn't until November so you'll be back home by then, too."

Emilio, Luke, Atlas and Oliver maybe?

"Thank you, Charlie." I pulled him into a weird side hug. "Thank you for everything."

"Hey," Charlie's thumb brushed my cheek. "No tears, okay? This is not a day for crying."

"They're happy tears." I sniffled, pulling back a little, feeling a tad embarrassed that Tyler had to witness me cry for the second time today.

"Maybe save some of those happy tears for later, yeah?" Tyler grinned, his eyes glancing at his brother before coming back to me. "Char has a lot planned for us today."

"Really?" I looked at Charlie, before pulling my sleeves over my hands and wiping the remaining tears my cheeks. "What else are we doing?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out, Le." Charlie said, ruffling my hair. "Now, how about we finish off this amazing breakfast and I'll tell Tyler my favourite Leo moment, hm?"

The stories were never about me, Char.

Gulping back the fucking sea of emotions that hit me so hard that I'm sure if I was standing my legs would give way, I curled my hands into tight fists and nodded with a genuine smile.

A smile that remained in tact throughout the rest of our breakfast.

————

"So... where are we going?" I asked Charlie as he drove the three of us through the city.

"We're nearly there, just wait two minutes and you'll see exactly where I'm taking you."

Pulling the seatbelt cord from my shoulder before releasing it again, I couldn't stop myself from fidgeting. My whole body was like a bundle of electricity as the unfamiliar feeling of excitement crept up on me.

I kept my eyes glued to the window, searching for clues as to what this next surprise could be. I counted every tree we passed, every flock of birds, every yellow car or cab, which would then in turn make me hit Tyler. Yellow car no backsies was always Carter's favourite car game to play.

"If you hit me one more time I'm gonna throw you out of the car." Tyler didn't share my enthusiasm.

"It's a game." I told him blandly. "For every yellow car I see, I hit you. You're meant to do it back if you see one first."

"You keep seeing them before I do!" He whined, rather dramatically in my opinion.

"Don't hate the player, hate the game, Ty." I repeated the phrase my brother would often use.

"That's it, I'm—"

"Oh look, we're here!" Charlie cut him off. His honey eyes meeting my wide blues.

"We're going ice skating?" I beamed at him.
I love ice skating.

"Mhm, not just us." Charlie's smile was one of triumph as my excitement showed. Who else is here? "Let's head inside, yeah?"

I nodded rapidly and exited the car. Tyler bumped his shoulder against mine, his eyes narrowed almost comically.

"I'm gonna trip you." He threatened playfully.

I grinned. "You'll have to catch me first."

————

The chill of the air was refreshing and familiar. My cheeks nipped to the shade of light pink and my breath left my mouth in a cloud of fog whilst the scent of cotton candy filled my nostrils.

It brought back so many memories, so many good memories.

Ice skating had always been our thing, Emilio and I. As a kid, anytime I felt down and in need of a pick-me-up, he'd always bring me to this same rink. We'd skate the day away, only coming off the ice to indulge in the sugary pink fluff that is cotton candy. We'd eat the whole bag, complaining endlessly about our toothache for the whole next round of skating, only to buy another bag for us to share on the walk back home. 

"Leo!"

My head shot up and I'd convinced myself that my mind was playing tricks on me as a familiar voice reached my ears. Please be real.

"Le!"

My eyes scanned the rink, my gaze falling on my three best friends. They were near the edge of the ice: Luke holding Atlas by the arm as he wailed like Bambi on ice as they made their way towards me, whilst Emilio was almost by my side, his eyes never leaving mine as he ran to me, crushing me in the most comforting hug I've ever had.

"Emmy? You're really here?" I whispered to him, my arms tightening around his torso. "I missed you."

"Mhm, I'll always show up for you." Emilio told me, his voice filled with almost as much emotion as mine. "I missed you more amore."

"I missed you most." Atlas' arms entrapped me as he joined our hug.

"Fuck it." Luke huffed, his stiff arms latching onto the three of us. "I missed you mostest."

I laughed in disbelief. "What are you guys doing here?" I asked them, pulling back from the hug before comforting morphed to suffocating.

"Charlie invited us." Atlas said with a cheesy smile. "And it's Leo day!"

"We're here to celebrate your should've-been-day." Luke added.

"We've never missed your birthday, Le." Emilio spoke softly. "So why wouldn't we be here. C'mon, let's get on the ice before it melts."

"It's gonna melt!" Atlas yelled. "I paid... well, Charlie paid good money for this and now we have a time limit? Seriously. I'm gonna complain."

"Atlas?"

"Yes Lu?"

"Shut up."

"Rude."

Atlas and Luke walked away bickering loudly between themselves. Charlie and Tyler both looked between Em and I for a moment, the two of them nodding at me before following the other two onto the ice, leaving Em and I alone.

"How are you, amore? How's your day been?" Emilio asked me softly, his hand finding it's way to mine.

I took a moment to think over his question, my lips lifting into a smile as I answered him.
"Good, Emmy, I'm really good."

I knew by the way he looked at me that he knew my words were sincere. His smile lit up the room as he nodded at me, his hand squeezing mine reassuringly.

"Race you round the ice for old times sake?" He suggested, and my eyes lit up at the challenge.

"Only if the loser buys the cotton candy?"

His grin widened, and I knew from the distant look in his eyes that he was thinking about the same memories as me.

"Get ready to put your money where your mouth is, Le."

————

We spent hours on the ice, our laughter bouncing off the walls as we skated around each other, only taking a break when Emilio had to buy our bag of cotton candy. Sucker.

Charlie and Tyler took the time to tease each other, the elder being just as bad — if not worse than Atlas, who had to cling to Luke like a koala bear for the majority of the afternoon.

"I'm getting a penguin next time." Atlas huffed, running a hand through his messy hair as he glared at his feet. "My ass is freaking killing me."

"You're not getting a penguin." Luke quickly denied. "You're almost sixteen, Ati, those penguins are for kids."

"I'm a child at heart, Lu." Atlas remarked. "Maybe if you actually helped me skate then I wouldn't need a penguin."

"Maybe if you actually tried to, you know, move your legs then he wouldn't need to hold you up." Tyler concluded.

"I did try! Trying made my ass hurt!"

"I'm sure that's not the only thing that's made your ass hurt." Emilio whispered, only loud enough for both Atlas and I to hear.

Atlas glared at him whilst I snorted a laugh.

"Fuck you, Em." He huffed, crossing his arms over his chest like a toddler.

"Language," Charlie reprimanded. "Ignore him, Atlas. You'll get there some day."

"He's a therapist, he has to say that." Tyler stated. "Plus, he's just as shit as you are at skating, so I wouldn't listen to him."

"Tyler."

"Charlie."

"Why did I even bring you today?" Charlie thought a-loud.

"'Cause you love me."

"Hmmm," Charlie hummed. "Nope, that's not it."

"Okay," Luke spoke up, acting like the peace keeper as usual. "Why don't we all just calm down and take a breath."

"Take a breath?" Atlas snorted. "What are you a fucking meditator?"

"It's mediator you fucking idiot." Luke snapped. "As I was saying, let's go and have a burger and shake, yeah?"

"Yeah," Charlie agreed. "Let's go."

————

We returned to Betty's diner for dinner.

The six of us crammed ourselves into one of the booths in the corner because Atlas claimed booths are more comfortable than the wooden chairs. Which, I would agree, that's if the booths were meant to accommodate more than four people at a time. They're not. Meaning Tyler was almost sitting on Charlie's lap whilst Atlas actually sat himself on Luke's lap without hesitation.

"Atlas, get your fat ass off of me." Luke groaned, clearly done with Atlas' antics for the day.

"Lulu, can you chill? I'm like one hundred and twenty pounds, therefore I'm not a fat ass. One might even call me a skinny ass." Atlas reasoned.

"Fine, your boney little ass is hurting me. Move."

Atlas gasped. "Take that back! My ass is not little!"

"You literally just said it yourself." Luke deadpanned.

"No, I said I'm a skinny ass not that I have a skinny or boney ass. That's such an insult. I thought we were besties." Atlas cried.

"Um, can I take your order?" The waitress asked, looking between Atlas and Luke cautiously. "You know this booth is only meant to be for four people... right?"

"We know," Charlie smiled at her apologetically. "Could we have six cheeseburgers, three chocolate shakes and three oreo shakes please?"

"No onions please!" Atlas quickly added. "I just hate onions. Yuk."

The waitress blinked and slowly nodded. "Mhm, milkshakes, six cheeseburgers and one with no onions. Gotcha." She said, quickly rushing away.

"Let's do gifts whilst we wait for our food!" Atlas clapped his hands together before pulling out a small gift bag from under the table.

"Me first!" Luke placed his hand over Atlas' face as he quickly handed me his gift bag.

"Cheater!"

I shook my head at Atlas' antics before opening the heavy bag Luke had handed me. My eyes widened in shock and excitement as I looked at the selection of books.

"Luke, oh my god."

"I knew you'd like them!" He grinned. "That's your favourite author right? J. R. R. Tolkien?"

"Yeah, he is." I nodded, my heart warming at the fact he knew who my favourite author was. "You got me the whole lord of the rings set?" I asked, my eyes scanning every book.

"No, I got you every book he's ever written, Le." Luke said proudly, sending a smug look to Atlas and Emilio — who, both, in turn, glared at him.

"Holy shit! I love you, thank you so much!" I leaned over Emilio and patted Luke's hand, a gesture that I knew he'd appreciate given my unease around touch.

"Love you too, Le." Luke beamed, again rubbing my happiness in our friends faces as he flipped his imaginary hair. "And that my peasants is why I'm the bestest friend ever."

"Oh whatever," Atlas huffed. "My gifts are sooo much better. Here Le, open them." He handed me his small, almost weightless gift bag. "You'll love it I swear."

Cautiously — because it's from Atlas — I opened the bag, a laugh escaping me at the contents. "Paracetamol... really, Ati?"

"Hey, I know it's not the hard drugs you're used too, but I'm a child, Leo. I don't have the money for the good stuff." He said with a sad sigh. "Plus, paracetamol is a pain killer so whenever you're feeling a little down, it's like a pick-me-up. You know?"

"For fuck sake." Luke stared at Atlas in disbelief.

Emilio laughed lightly, as did Tyler, whilst Charlie looked one second away from joining my team and throwing himself off a bridge.

"Give me them." Charlie snatched the pill pack from my hand, turning to Atlas, he gave him a stern look. "Seriously? Why the hell would you give him pills?"

Atlas frowned. "Why wouldn't I? It's only paracetamol." He shrugged, unable to grasp the many reasons as to why I shouldn't have access to any forms of medication.

"Charlie," Emilio shook his head. "There's no point in trying to explain it to him."

Charlie grumbled under his breath as he stuffed the pill pack into his pocket. Atlas turned to me, his whole demeanour screaming just how confused he felt.

"My other gift is in there, Le." Atlas gestured to the bag.

I pulled out a small cassette tape along side a Walkman. "What's this?" I asked him, staring at his little hand written note on the tape. For Leo.

"I wrote and recorded a whole bunch of songs for you to listen too. And I wrote them all about you to, you know, listen to whenever you're feeling sad and missing me." Atlas admitted, almost shyly.

"Ati..." I paused, unsure of what to say. Atlas was rarely ever this... cute? "I love you. Thank you, I'm sure I'll love it."

"Of course you will." He tutted, "I made it."

Emilio and Luke rolled their eyes before Em handed me a small squared box.
"My turn."

"What is it?" I asked him, my hand carefully tracing the leather box.

"Open it and you'll find out, amore." Em winked.

Carefully, I unlatched the small lock on the side of the box and opened it. My eyes locked on the small bracelet as I took in each and every detail. The silver and gold compass in the centre of two black threaded strings. I gently lifted it from the box, twisting and turning the jewellery as I stared at it in awe. Only when I flipped the compass did I see the small engraving on the back.

You'll always find a home with me.

"Emmy..." I gulped, my voice choked.

"Look," he said, pulling up the sleeve of his sweater, revealing an exact replica of the bracelet I was holding. "Touch the centre of the compass, Le." I did as he said, my eyes widening as the centre of his compass lit up.

"Wow." Is all I could muster.

"Whenever you're lonely, just touch the compass and I'll know you're thinking of me. Mines does the same too, if I touch it yours will light up." Emmy told me softly, "As it says, amore, you'll always find a home with me."

I pulled him into a hug, my eyes burning as I held back the tears for what felt like the thousand time today. "Thank you, Emmy, I love it, I love you."

"I love you more."

"That sounds like some shit you'd read on a cereal box." Atlas snorted. "My gift is still the champion."

Luke sighed loudly. "Atlas."

————

After eating our burgers and drinking our milkshakes, Charlie told me he had one more surprise in store for my birth-not-day as Atlas kindly named it.

Whilst Atlas and Luke drove with Emilio, I went with Charlie and Tyler. Apparently it was against the rules for me to leave Charlie's side whilst we were out of the teen home.

As the car pulled to a stop after a short fifteen minute drive, I couldn't stop the next round of tears that overcame me. He brought me to the lake. The same lake I'd told him about two years prior.

"Charlie, thank you." I almost whimpered.
I'm so lucky to have you. I wanted to say but couldn't.

"How many times do I need to say I'd do anything for you before you'll believe me, grumpy?"

"I think I believe you now." I exhaled a watery chuckle. "I can't believe you remembered this place."

Charlie turned in his seat. "Of course I remember, we had what? Seven therapy sessions here and you told me every time that this was your most favourite place in the whole world."

"Still... it-it means a lot to me that you remembered." I stammered, too emotional to form any other words that could convey just how much this meant to me.

"It's okay, Le." He leaned over and ruffled my hair. "Let's go, yeah? I've got a surprise waiting for you by the water side."

————

Emilio, Luke and Atlas were already at the waters edge when the three of us approached them. Luke was holding a soccer ball under his arm, whilst Em unfolded a large waterproof blanket to place over the damp grass. And Atlas... well, he stood and watched.

"Is she here yet?" Atlas asked, curling into himself as four pairs of eyes snapped to him.

"Is who here yet?" I questioned just as Dakota's voice reached my ears.

"Sorry I'm late!" Her voice sounded a little breathless. I turned to her, a gasp leaving me when I seen who she'd brought with her.

"CHARLIE!" I yelled in a mix of surprise and excitement. "C'mere boy." I called to him, a laugh leaving me as he barrelled into me, almost knocking me off my feet if it wasn't for Tyler's quick reflexes. "Oh I've missed you so much." 

"He's missed you just as much, Le." Kota told me, her eyes shinning a little. "He sits by your bedroom door and whines constantly until someone lets him in, then he'll sprawl himself across your sheets." She admitted with a chuckle.

"You missed me too, huh boy?" I scratched his ears, laughing as he licked my cheek.

"I best get going," Dakota said, gaining my attention. "I'll come back for him in an hour, you kids have fun." She winked at Charlie as he groaned at the use of the word 'kids.'

"You can stay, Kota." I told her, surprising everyone as all eyes turned to me.

"No, no, I don't want to intru—"

"Stay, please."

We stayed by the lake until night fall and I couldn't remember a day where I'd had as much fun as I did today.

Charlie spent his time chasing the ducks by the lake's edge, his tail wagging profusely, tongue hanging from his mouth as he panted with excitement. Luke, Ty, Em and I played soccer whilst Atlas assigned himself as the referee, calming that he had an 'injury' and couldn't exert himself, when we all knew he just didn't want to run. Then, when we grew tired, my friends began sharing old stories from our childhood and every single story was based around me.

Before we got ready to leave, Charlie rushed towards the car claiming he had one last surprise for the day. He returned a few minutes later, panting a little whilst sweat lined his forehead.

"God, this is why I don't run." He said, breathlessly.

"Did you get it!?" Atlas was practically jumping with excitement.

"Yes, Ati," Charlie rolled his eyes. "I got it." He turned to me. "Close your eyes for me, Le." I stared at him, a little uneasy at the thought. "Please, I promise it's a good surprise."

Hesitantly, I done as he said and closed my eyes. I could hear rustling and Atlas attempting to whisper something before getting shushed by Luke and then everyone else when he failed to shut up.

"Open your eyes, amore." Emilio whispered, his hand squeezing mine."

Charlie kneeled in the centre of the picnic blanket, a soft look on his candle lit face as he held the birthday cake in front of my eyes.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear, Leo, happy birthday to you."

"Make a wish, Le."

I wish for this day to never end.

————
End of chapter 62

Thoughts?

How much do we love Charlie?
And did you guys like meeting Ty?

Eleo, Atlas, Luke, Charlie Jnr... I really have spoiled you guys!

I love that Leo is finally experiencing the happiness he deserves.

I know you all want a sibling reunion, I do plan on this happening within the next chapter or two.
Who do we want Leo to see first? All of them, or one on one?

I'm gonna work on the next chapter of Jack's book now, I'll hopefully have it finished within the next day or two.

Don't forget to comment, vote and follow!
Love you lots x
7000 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 649 60
Everyone was charmed by Leo's bright smile but behind it all, he could barely keep it together inside. From taking care of his sick mother to sufferi...
56.1K 1.7K 15
Leo moves to a new school after getting bullied at his last one for being blind will someone rescue him from this darkness he's lost in, he meets Mat...
130K 5.4K 82
Even though I'm a mess and I still don't think I'm good enough for him, I want to date him. I haven't managed to scare him off with my panic attacks...
32.8K 1.9K 55
BLACK MOON, book two. Can be read as a stand-alone. The Hunter's Alliance has been defeated, but have all of the enemies disappeared? The new pack w...