Love And Dragons | JiKyu • Ky...

By redhoonie

Junkyu, hated and shunned by his entire clan, even by his own father. His mother, the only person to maybe ha... More

important note
2|The Friend
3|The Cove
4|The Misfortune
5|The Blacksmith
6|The Fire

1|The Promise

146 12 24
By redhoonie

(Warning: Physical and Verbal Harm or Bullying)

A young boy fell down to the ground due to a harsh shove caused by an oppressive force from someone. His knees and palms met with the rough surface of grass, dust and rocks, and they lightly tore open his skin.

He felt the stinging pain of scraping his hands and knees. The boy hissed from the intrusion of the earth's solid minerals into his open wounds. He quickly turned his neck to see the face of the one responsible for this torment. When he locked eyes with whoever it was, they widened in fear for it was them again. The group of children that were around his age who often caused him pain and misery - his bullies.

"Watch where you're going Junkyu." Doyoung hissed. "You're already useless and now you might be also blind. That would double your uselessness."

Doyoung is Junkyu's cousin, also his number one bully. Junkyu was older than him but the younger had no ounce of respect for him at all. Junkyu doesn't know nor understand what he had done to Doyoung for him to hate on him so much. Maybe it was because Junkyu was the son of the chief of their tribe which makes Junkyu next in line to be their future chief, their future leader. Maybe Doyoung did not want that and wanted the position for himself instead. At least that is what Junkyu's young mind can come up with for now.

"Hey! Stupid! We're talking to you. First you're blind and now you're deaf?" Doyoung added, snapping Junkyu out of his thoughts.

Junkyu made no reply from his words. He turned his gaze away from Doyoung and back towards the ground.

"Your cousin is now probably a mute too, Doyoung. Just look at him. So scrawny and so pathetic." A different voice said. Junkyu recognized it was Mashiho.

"He's probably adopted. No way can this be the son of the great and strong chief Sunho." Haruto inserted. He threw a demeaning glare towards Junkyu who remained on the ground.

Although Junkyu didn't look directly at them, he could feel their burning gazes that drilled holes through his skull.

"I know right? Maybe, his Mom couldn't give birth to the chief's real son and somehow found this sad scrawny excuse of a cousin from somewhere." Doyoung commented. "How will he even protect and lead this tribe in the future with that body? I mean the chief couldn't even save his wife even with all his strength and skills."

Junkyu's hands formed into fists, clutching onto either grass or dirt as their words dug into his head and his heart. They can abuse him, or torture him, or hurt him as much as they want. But when it came to his mother it made him angry. He tried to drown them out. He didn't want to hear what else they had to say. He soon felt a kick to the side of his stomach. This caused him to roll over and lay on his side. He curled his body as the pain of the blow throbbed and like burned the area that had been hit. He wheezed and grunted then heard the sound of their laughter invading his ears.

"Ey, that was a strong kick Doyoung! You're so awesome!" Yedam praised.

"I want a turn too! Let me do a kick too!!" Whined Jaehyuk, jumping up and down with a hand raised as if volunteering for something exciting.

"Me too! You can't have all the fun to yourself." Yoshi inserted.

"Guys, guys! We all get a turn to hit this useless thing." Doyoung announced, a smug smile on his face.

The joyous melody they made taunted his ears and that's when the tears he had been trying to hold were finally let lose from his eyes. He let his bangs of auburn hair cover his eyes so they would not see his tears. The ache in his heart worsened from the pain that continued to throb at his side and the pain that tortured his chest and mentality. He felt another hard kick which he was able to shield with his arms. Then there was another at his back. He felt a kick to his knee, a whimper came out Junkyu's mouth. He felt a foot stomped him by his shoulders. He felt the dust from whoever's boot that was, sprinkle all over him. Junkyu felt it all. The pain they all inflicted upon him. He could only curl there, helpless and accepting of his miserable life.

One last kick to his stomach and Junkyu choked on the blood that went up his throat.

"Get out of our sight." Doyoung spat. "Come on guys. Let's leave before we get infected and turn into a useless like him."

The group laughed at his words and agreed to leave. Before they fully left, Junkyu carefully got himself on his knees. His gaze trained on his cousin, glaring at him with glassy eyes.

"What did I ever do to you?" Junkyu spoke then spat out blood followed by coughing. He only thought of saying his words as a whisper but he vocalized it a bit louder than he should have.

The group heard him. Doyoung quickly spun back to face him. He looked annoyed and irritated from hearing his words.

"What did you say?! Who allowed you to talk?!" Doyoung stomped menacingly back towards Junkyu.

Junkyu looked at him wide eyed. He trembled as he watched Doyoung rush towards him. He told himself to get up and run but he was stuck frozen in that spot. Doyoung had his fist clenched and was ready to hit him in the face. Junkyu closed his eyes preparing himself for the blow.

"Hey! What are you doing?!" An unfamiliar voice sprang out.

Junkyu's eyes immediately opened once again and looked towards the direction of the voice. He saw a child about their age running towards them. He doesn't know who this child is because he has never seen him before.

"Are you okay?" The child asked looking deeply concerned. He kneeled down to Junkyu holding him by the shoulders and checked his wounds.

The boy's genuinely worried face shifted to an infuriated frown as he sees the many swollen areas that had been remorselessly hit.

Junkyu couldn't utter a response to the boy for the latter turned his attention back towards Doyoung and the group behind him.

"Go away you bad people. Hitting others is bad! Don't you dare hit him again!" The boy stretched out his arms to block and protect Junkyu's frail figure from them.

"Who are you? Who do you think you are to dare come here and interrupt us?" Doyoung raised his voice irritated.

"My name is Park Jihoon and I'm not afraid to fight bullies like you." The boy named Jihoon declared out loud, puffing out his chest to appear more convincing.

Junkyu looked at the boy named Jihoon. His eyes showed terror yet awe for this stupid boy thinking he could go against Doyoung and his group. He felt a pinch in his heart, not used to having anyone actually show such care nor concern for him. Upon seeing the others stand close behind Doyoung, Junkyu was quickly alarmed and turned worried himself. He was afraid this Jihoon would get himself hurt from trying to protect him.

"No, stop. Please." Junkyu rasped out a whisper which Jihoon heard. His vocal cords hurt from the blood that traveled up from any possible internal wound in his stomach.

Junkyu didn't want to fight back. He didn't want this boy to fight in his place. He didn't want Jihoon to acquire any pain that could cause him to soon hate Junkyu for it. He would soon think Junkyu was cursed. That anything and anyone that dared come close to Junkyu would be met with nothing but misery.

"Don't." Junkyu tried again. He thought maybe Jihoon did not hear him in the first place as the boy did not gave an immediate reaction.

Jihoon did hear him and he understood what Junkyu was trying to convey.

"It's okay." Jihoon smiled at him reassuringly. "I can handle them." He added with a playful smirk and wink.

Jihoon turned his attention back towards again to the group. His once calm and warm eyes that were now off Junkyu turned cold. He threw the group the meanest and scariest glare his face could muster. To the children his age, he looked quite scary but to the adults it was adorable.

Speaking of adults, there were a few around. But since the group started to impose harm on Junkyu, none within the surrounding bothered to intrude and stop the obvious display of bullying. Some even commented that they're kids and they're just playing around.

Right.

Doyoung was taken aback by the glare of this boy. He felt scared. He was only ever scared of his parents but this boy somehow elicited an unnamed fear in him, that's not supposed to happen. Doyoung must not let that happen. He can't have himself scared of some other child, especially a child who seemed to take Junkyu's side. Doyoung embraced his courage again, he took a step closer to threaten back.

"You!! You think you can scare me!" Doyoung puffed his chest and tried to stand tall but Jihoon was clearly taller than him.

"I don't think I can scare you. I know I am scaring you. Not just you but also your coward friends." Jihoon hissed, raising his chin. He almost laughed how the group visibly shrank from his gaze. "Go away now and leave us alone or you will all regret it." He threatened to the group.

Doyoung backed away along with the others behind him.

"Doyoung let's go. He's scary." Yedam whispered to him.

"Yeah, let's go. I don't think we can fight him." Haruto muttered.

Doyoung's fearful face snapped back to anger. He clenched his fists wanting to throw a punch at Jihoon. But again, meeting his eyes told him he shouldn't. His eyes instead landed over to Junkyu again, an expression that was promising vengeance sometime later. Junkyu met his eyes and knew he was screwed. Doyoung finished his silent promise and finally turned to leave with his head hung high, trying to keep his pride.

The group with him didn't wait to be told and followed immediately after him.

Jihoon sighed relieved now that they left. He turned back over to Junkyu who remained glued to the ground.

"Hey, it's okay now. They're gone now." Jihoon assured, kneeling back down to help Junkyu up. "Are you hurt? Let me see it." He sounded extremely worried.

Junkyu carefully sat up. Jihoon took his hand and was gentle in examining his wounds. The other boy made sure not to cause him any pain. Junkyu looked at him confused and overwhelmed by this behaviour that was foreign to him. It made his heart swell with something he couldn't understand yet. It was confusing him.

"Why?" Junkyu asked.

"Hmm?" Jihoon tore his eyes away from the wounds.

"Why did you do that?" Junkyu asked again.

"Did what?" Jihoon tilted his head.

"Helped me...why did you do that?" Junkyu elaborated.

"Why? Because they were being mean to you. They were bad. No one is supposed to be treated like that." Jihoon answered genuinely.

Junkyu was silent after that for a while. Jihoon stood up.

"Come on. Let me take you to my parents. My Mom can help you treat your wounds." Jihoon said, extending a hand out for Junkyu to take.

Junkyu looked at him hesitantly. There was evident distrust in his eyes. He only met this boy. What if this boy was only pretending to be nice at first and once Junkyu's guard is all down he would hurt him just like Doyoung and his gang would do. What if everything that happened was just Doyoung's plan all along? What if this Park Jihoon is much worse than his cousin? What if-

"Hey..." Jihoon gently shook him out of his thoughts. "It's okay. I promise I won't hurt you." He smiled.

"You promise?" Junkyu asked almost close to tears.

"I promise! Pinky swear even!" Jihoon said with his loud voice, raising a hand up to display his pinky finger.

Junkyu looked confused.

"Pinky swear! You don't know what a pinky swear is?" Jihoon titled his head to the side while asking.

"No." Junkyu answered in a small voice. He looked guilty that he didn't know.

"That's okay. Here, I'll teach you." Jihoon carefully took Junkyu's hand, knowing the other still had untreated wounds. "You raise your pinky too and then we put them together like this and then we do this." He said while demonstrating it all.

As their thumbs connected with the simple act, Junkyu's eyes widened amazed by it. He had never done a pinky swear before. He smiled at Jihoon somewhat feeling at ease, safe and happy.

"That's a pinky swear!" Jihoon announced. "Now, come on, let's go. Let me take you to my parents. We need to treat your wounds." He said, gently yet firmly grabbing Junkyu by the arm.

"Okay." Junkyu answered with a nod. They started to walk through the village.

The area they walked through had a few people around going on about their own businesses. Junkyu looked up towards and saw the sky was now tinted in orange. This meant that nighttime was approaching. He should be home soon or his father might look for him.

"Don't worry. It's not that far from here. I was actually told by them to go and get water from the well until I saw those bullies. You don't have to worry about them bothering you anymore. I'll keep you safe! I'm strong and I can fight! My father taught me how to fight. If you want he can teach you to fight too, so when I'm not there you can also fight off those bullies!" Jihoon rambled along the way. It seemed like he talked a lot.

"Jihoon," Junkyu recalled his name from a while ago. He quickly inserted as the boy doesn't seem like he was gonna stop talking at any moment. "Is that really your name?" He asked.

"Yes! That's my name. Park Jihoon! You can call me Jihoon!" Jihoon replied enthusiastically while they continued walking.

"I have never seen you before around here." Junkyu added.

"That's because I'm new around here. My family and I just recently moved to this island and we will now be living here! I was told this is were the great chief Sunho lives! They said he can fight dragons even without a sword or a shield!" Jihoon extolled.

As Junkyu listened to him, he frowned with his words especially when Jihoon uttered the name. Jihoon didn't notice because he was too into his praises for the said man. They soon stopped near a house that stood near a cliff, behind it was a magnificent view of the vast ocean. The large expanse of salty water was filled with wild waves that danced with glimmering shine due to the sunset themed sky. Junkyu was in awe Jihoon has a sight like this close to their house. He didn't have the time to admire more of it as Jihoon diverted all his attention towards him again.

"Oh, by the way, I still don't know your name!" Jihoon said turning to face Junkyu. "What's your name?"

"I'm Kim Junkyu, you can call me Junkyu." Junkyu answered.

"Okay! Junkyu! We're friends now!" Jihoon proclaimed, smiling wide.

Junkyu looked taken aback by his words. He never had friends or never had a friend before. Once again, the abnormal feeling under his chest seemed to bother him. Especially when the other smiled at him. He somehow liked the way Jihoon smiles. His eyes turned into crescents as if they smiled along with his lips. And he also noticed the mole placed in between his right eye and cheekbone.

"Let's go inside. I'm sure my parents are in the living room." Jihoon said, he then knocked on the door. The boy didn't wait for a response and simply entered the house while pulling Junkyu in. "Mom! Dad! It's me! I brought a new friend home!" He announced loudly.

A woman came out from a doorless doorway, she was wearing an apron over her dress. The moment she appeared, Junkyu immediately saw the striking resemblance between the woman and Jihoon.

"Jihoon, dear, you're back."

"Yes, mom! Look! This is my new friend, Junkyu!" Jihoon introduced him.

"Oh, hello there young one. Junkyu, right? I'm Jihoon's mother." Jihoon's mom bent over a little bit to meet their shorter heights.

"Yes, my name is Kim Junkyu. It's nice to meet you, Madam." Junkyu replied looking a bit shy, he bent his back to the front to bow in respect.

"What a polite young man." Jihoon's mother giggled. "No need to call me Madam, since you're now Jihoon's friend you can call me Aunt or Auntie." She added smiling widely, her eyes also smiling.

"Yes, thank you A-Auntie." Junkyu stuttered feeling overwhelmed.

"What brings you here Junkyu? Are you here to have dinner with us?" Jihoon's mother asked.

"I..." Junkyu looked down, unable to answer.

"Actually, Mom, I dragged him here because he got hurt." Jihoon answered.

"Hurt? Where is he hurt? How did he got hurt?" Jihoon's mother asked looking deeply concerned.

"Well, he was bul-" Jihoon tried to explain but got cut off.

"I climbed a tall tree and fell down badly. Jihoon saw me and came to help." Junkyu lied.

Jihoon's head immediately snapped towards Junkyu. One eyebrow raised in question. Clearly he was questioning Junkyu why did he lie. Why couldn't Junkyu just say he was being bullied? That way the issue could be relayed and discussed with his parents. Then a way could be made for him to stop it from happening ever again.

"Oh, you poor thing. Let me just get my supplies." Jihoon's mother stood up and disappeared into a room.

Junkyu knew Jihoon was looking at him strangely. He knew the other was probably questioning why he lied. However, Jihoon kept quiet. Junkyu did not know if he should feel relieved or worried about that. Jihoon's mother soon came back and treated his wounds.

First part published!!!

Hoped you liked it!! I'll be writing more! Once I'm finished with the other books the updates for this book can be more frequent.

Thank youu!!!

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80K 4.1K 21
Haruto just loved being alone. He was happiest when there was no one to annoy him. Being a eldest heir of Watanabe family he enjoyed all the luxury o...
3.3K 266 17
Jeongwoo never believed in enemy to lovers trope until it happened with him (Sorry, I'm bad at description >⁠.⁠<)
22.9K 1.1K 13
Just Junkyu pouring his heart out to his diary about Watanbe Haruto who happens to be his brother's friend and his ultimate crush. It is my first ti...
14.4K 1K 30
Wish I could turn back time and make everything right, so that I could get over this regret of not having you. I was foolish, coward, scared- but I s...