UNRAVELLING

By chocolatechinkara

Secrets bring with them disasters. Silence brings with it storms. And havoc is always followed by peace. The... More

Prologue
Question+ Teaser

Part 1

164 15 3
By chocolatechinkara

AN: Will be updating this like HTFOoLi10ES. It's just drafts erratically updated when I have time. Will edit them in the far future.

"A prostitute! That's what your mother was! Do you want Gauri to be like her mother too?"

Her fingers strummed the sitar slowly, carefully, as she hummed the tune to herself, making the words from the morning slowly fade into a whisper in the back of her mind.

As she reached the last notes of her song, loud claps boomed through the auditorium.

Gauri opened her eyes, focussing on the man sitting in the front seat of the empty auditorium, clapping his heart out as he sported a cheesy grin. She tried to hide her grin as she shook her head finishing the last note a little shakily.

"Don't bother with apologies." She sang as she kept the sitar down, bending to place her head on the instrument muttering a prayer to Saraswati Mata.

"I am really sorry for not coming sooner."

"You sure are!"

"I'll make it up to you, I promise."

She sighed as she descended the stairs after keeping her sitar in the music room backstage. "So, what do you want to do?"

Nikhil grinned as he wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "Let's go eat Dosas."

Gauri rolled her eyes. "You can just say that you want to meet Di. No need to go about it the long way. To think, I almost believed your apologies."

"You're so smart, saali sahiba."

"I can't be your saali until you propose. Tell me now, if you don't have plans for that. I'll slap you until you come to your senses and realise just what you could loose if you wait too long."

"You and your obsession with slaps!" Nikhil exclaimed with a laugh avoiding the dreaded proposal talk as he steered Gauri towards his bike. He stopped in his steps when a girl around Gauri's age, decked in sunglasses (yes, plural) and bracelets clicked to a stop in front of them.

Gauri tried not to roll her eyes. But that was a gone case when the person in front of her was Riddhima Raheja.

"I heard you had another no show at the event. Just admit that no one is interested in your musicals and stop wasting college funds."

Gauri let her head fall down on Nikhil's shoulder. This was going to be a long fight. Gauri knew because she and Riddhima fought almost every other day when the dance queen actually made the effort to come to the college and not stalk that Oberoi heir that she loved to call hers.

"Your daddy's not going to go bankrupt by paying for the repairs of a single sitar. So, why don't you focus on something better, you know like actually choreographing a song and not just ripping off routines from online tutorials?"

"How would you know what dance means?" Riddhima raised a brow before faking a realisation as she continued with malice. "Oh right. Your mother was a dancer, wasn't she? I mean dancer is the polite term for call girl but eh, I don't think I need to tell you the difference if you're already hanging onto a man's arm and following your mother's footsteps."

Gauri tried to blow her anger with a long breath but as usual, it didn't work. She lifted her head from Nikhil's shoulder, jerking her head towards the bike to signal for him to go ahead. "I'll take the local and meet you there. I just remembered I have stuff to take care of."

Nikhil took one look at the two cats glaring at each other, gave Gauri a concerned look but then traced his steps to the bike when Gauri glared back.

Riddhima scoffed, ready to open her mouth to spread more garbage when Gauri turned to her, her eyes narrowed and her fists tightened at her sides. "My mother was still better than a plagiarist who neither has the creativity to create nor the tact to at least gift wrap what she so obviously stole."

"Did you just call me a thief?"

"Art is an artist's soul and those who snatch souls are grim reapers not thieves."

"How dare you, you-"

"Riddhima! It's time for our practice session." Soumya Bisht called out to the queen bee as she saved Gauri from bursting in anger and getting herself expelled yet again.

"Got it fatass!" Riddhima huffed giving Gauri a final glare before strutting back into the auditorium ready to boss over her minions to relieve her insecurities.

"Why is she being rude to you?" Gauri asked Soumya as she interlinked their arms and started walking ahead before her infamous temper could make her burst Riddhima's definitely not natural straight nose.

"I broke up with Rudra."

"Why???"

"I just realised that staying with a man who puts you down, even if it's for fun is not okay."

"Did he call you names? I swear on Shankarji, give me his number. I'll call him to a haveli and knock his teeth out. Let's see how many girls want him after that!"

"He isn't a bad guy, Ri. He is just very naive and confident. He thinks that just like his critics don't matter to him, his comments wouldn't matter to me too. It's my fault for taking his little comments seriously and not having enough self esteem."

"Bull-fucking-shit. If your boyfriend doesn't even care about how what he says affects you, how does he even say he loves you?"

"That's your problem, Ri. You paint the whole world black or white. You can't always blame one person. Most times, everyone involved makes mistakes and commits sins."

"Yeah, because you wanting respect is a crime and him not knowing how hurtful his words are is innocence." Gauri rolled her eyes, huffing with the effort it took to not slam that rich jerk into a pile of garbage where he belonged. Oberois sure knew how to invite trouble from her.

"Leave this and tell me, why were you so stupidly calling Riddhima names? Do you want to get expelled in your final year?"

Gauri huffed out a laugh as she sped up, dragging Soumya along with her. "I was hoping she wouldn't notice."

"She just likes to rile you up because you're a better dancer than her. She kind of takes pride in being the queen bee when it comes to dancing."

"I know. But why must she bring up my mother every time? And it's not like I even dance. I am perfectly fine with my sitar."

"Still. You need to control your temper. What if they take away your musical scholarship?"

"Then I wouldn't have to study a course I don't want to study. That would be the best thing to happen to me all day!"

Soumya flicked Gauri's forehead as she laughed. "Pagal chiraiyaa."

Gauri smirked as she unlinked their arms at the gate. "Don't be too sad. And if you get drunk, call me, not my ex sautan."

"I am over it, Ri. I'll get over him soon enough."

***

Gauri tried not to smile when she felt a hand sneak into her back pockets. The perfect way to release her stress. Beat up a perverted creep.

But just as she was about to shove her elbow into the creep's thin ribs and crush his toes with her three inch high heels, a man's voice alerted the passengers waiting on the platform for a local.

"Hey! Get off her!"

Gauri rolled her eyes, taking her poised elbow back to rest against her side as she turned to give the wannabe knight in shining armour an irritated look.

Dark brown eyes stared at her with concern from behind thick framed glasses. She blinked. And then, she took an overview of the person who was still standing two feet away, looking at her like she was a glass doll who needed protection and reassurance even when the creep had stepped back and vanished into the crowd.

It couldn't be, could it?

"Tell me you're not him." She told the man in front of her as the onlookers lost interest as soon as a train stopped on the platform and their schedules reminded them to step up and hustle.

"Me?" Asked the idiot in a denim jacket and baggy jeans, carrying an expensive DSLR which told her that he definitely wasn't here to travel in a stuffed box with 50 other strangers for an hour or two.

"Did you rescue a woman from goons at the mall the day before yesterday?" She asked as she approached the man so that she could hear him better over the loud chatter and announcements while her mind reeled back to the idiot who had shouted at a kidnapper she was about to beat into a plush, making the kidnapper run away with intact teeth.

The man frowned before nodding his head. "Yes. But are you all right?"

"He asks me if I am alright." Gauri muttered to herself with a frustrated smile before turning to him and asking him through gritted teeth, "What's your name?"

"Omkaara Singh-"

"Listen here, Omkaaraji. You look like an older gentleman who doesn't understand that women don't need saviours these days. I wasn't going to comment on this but because we've met before and because you ended up saving another one of my preys, I'll tell you this. These creeps need to be taught a lesson by women. And because men like you step in, women like me are deprived of our daily need to thrash in some goons. So, the next time you see a woman in danger, instead of shouting at the creep, ask the woman, 'Ma'am would you like to be saved?'. That way if she needs help, she'll tell you and if she just wants to thrash the creep, you can cheer from the sidelines."

"Sor-ry?"

"And now he says sorry." Gauri frustratedly muttered to herself before glaring up at him. "Why are you so goddamn complacent?"

"You seem to be having a bad day." Omkaara told her with a sympathetic smile that made her hate him more. He needed to drop the gentlemanly act and fight with her if she was wasting her time talking to this wierdo.

She waited patiently for a second again. Maybe he'll run out of patience if she glared at him enough.

But nothing.

The man was still smiling at her with those sympathetic brown eyes that seemed far too familiar. She sighed again before telling herself that this was her last try.

"You are a chauvinist, aren't you? You're thinking to yourself, what a crazy bitch, right now aren't you?"

Omkaara laughed. "I really want to know how your brain came to that conclusion."

"Agh! Why can't you just get mad?" Gauri half yelled as she fought the urge to stamp her feet and throw a tantrum. Why exactly was she being this dumb? She didn't know. Why was she wasting her precious time talking to an idiot who had the patience of a saint? She didn't know. All she knew was that this was better than going home and listening to her Mami taunt Anika again.

"Anger tends to ruin things. And I don't want to ruin today." Omkaara said with a soft smile taking a few steps back to let the passengers get on with their life while he paused his schedule to look at the intersting woman beside him.

"What's so special about today?" Gauri followed him.

"I have an off day. And I am playing hookie right now." He smirked a little but then, immediately turned it into a grin.

This man probably didn't have one mean bone in his body.

Gauri frowned. "If you have an off day, how are you playing hookie right now? You can't bunk classes on a holiday!"

Omkaara smiled mischievously. "I have an off day from work. And I am playing hookie from my passion." He raised the DSLR in his hands to show her his prized possession.

"You're wierd." Gauri admitted with scrunched eyebrows.

"So are you." Omkaara crinkled his nose, mirroring her expression.

"How? I am not the one telling a stranger my passions and work life."

"But you're the one telling a stranger not to save a girl in danger"

"I am asking you to get consent before and if you save them. Con-sent."

"Why?"

"Because I was supposed to relieve some stress by beating him up. You never know when a woman is in desperate need to release some steam."

"Do you still want to do it?" Omkaara asked fiddling with the strap of his camera.

"Do what?" Gauri tilted her head in confusion.

"Release some steam, of course."

Gauri thought for a second before curiousity made her blurt out, "What do you have in mind?"

"Just something I've wanted to do for quite some time now."

"What is that?"

"Trespassing." Omkaara grinned mischievously.

"Trespassing what?" Gauri frowned as curiousity clutched her in its claws.

"A rival's territory."

And the plot thickens. So, he does have enemies. And he does use tricks like trespassing.

"Okay. You got my interest. Now, can you please explain?"

"I can't tell you a lot about it because my job requires privacy."

"You said you were off from work today."

"Then, let's call it a field trip."

Gauri thought over the words again. This man could be a kidnapper, a terrorist or a serial killer. But he could also be her ticket to a one day adventure. Well, it's not like her life is worth much anyway. If he kidnaps her, she'll just offer to be an accomplice. If he murders her, she could just haunt him forever.
Moreover, this man didn't seem the serial killer or criminal type. He had this aura around him that just made her feel safe.

So, she shrugged and jumped headfirst into yet another adventure which would surely haunt her later.

"Count me in."

****

"You have long hair!?" Gauri exclaimed with shock as they sat across other in the VIP boggey of the local. Gauri hadn't known that there were actual people who carried tickets to these. I mean why would you pay extra just to travel in a box that was not crowded with no guarantee of getting a seat? Standing in a rushed boggey worked perfectly fine too. They were lucky that the entire boggey was empty at noon.

Omkaara slowly put his cap back on after tying his hair in a low bun. Giving her a curious look, he asked, "Yeah. Is that a problem?"

"Of course it is a problem. You will be easy to recognise by those ghani jatein, you Jatadhari!"

"Jatadhari?"

"I don't know why I said that but can you focus on the main problem here?"

"Which is?" Omkaara raised an eyebrow.

"Your disguise!"

Omkaara laughed. "Just what kind of stuff are you imagining in your mind? We are going to a public place that is privatized."

"Huh? You said we were trespassing?"

"I said I was trespassing."

"What do you possibly mean by that?"

"You'll know."

"That won't do. You tell me now or I'll push you out of the train."

"Geez, woman! You look like a peanut and act like a Gundi."

"I am a Gundi! So you better spill before I slam you into the ground."

"We are going to an amusement park to take pictures."

"How in the nine planets of the universe is that trespassing?"

Omkaara smirked. "You'll know."

"I want to know now."

Shaking his head, Omkaara leaned closer, whispering the plan to her. "The company I work at has a rival trying to buy people on our side. We are just going to click pictures of them doing the deed."

"What good will it do? And how am I supposed to release some steam like that?"

"At the amusement park, there are bumping cars. That is the best way to relieve stress I have been told."

Gauri sighed disappointedly. So, there was no adventure awaiting her. What a waste of a perfect day!

"You cheated me!" She accused with narrowed eyes as she fiddled with her bagpack, trying to get rid of the disappointment overuling her emotions and also make sense of what she could do next.

Omkaara chuckled as he let his head fall back on the seat. "Don't leave when I am asleep."

"Now you're going to sleep on me? My.. you're really inconsiderate!"

"What do you want me to do then?"

"Pay some goons to attack you, I'll save you!"

"Try praying. People say that works sometimes."

Gauri rolled her eyes at his sarcasm as she let her head hit her bag with frustration . "Is this why they tell you not to follow strangers when they ask you to trust them? Agh! Why am I such an idiot?"

"Only you would know." Omkaara muttered with closed lids as he smiled at her irritation.

"Psst! Omkaara ji!" Gauri called out to the imposter who had already tricked her into getting excited for an adventure that just wasn't in her fate.

"It's been ten minutes since you last woke me up. Why are you so against my sleep, Peanut?"

"Don't call me a peanut or I'll crush your nuts!" Gauri warned with closed fists before straightening up and smiling a Cheshire smile to flatter him, drinking in her anger at the stupid nickname to convince him. "About these business rivals, why don't we just beat them up and send them up to the higher ups? That way you can show them your rutba!"

"Rutba?" Omkaara raised an eyebrow as he hid his grin at the obvious naivety behind the bold words. "Since when is violence equated to reputation and power?"

"Since the beginning of time," Gauri added in what she had tried her best to make a wistful tone. She didn't know jackshit about the beginning of time or whatever bullshit philosophers went crazy trying to determine. All she cared about was the need for an adventure of a lifetime. The first time she entrusts a stranger can't be a simple paparazzi job.

Omkaara smiled again. "The secret to power is within you and your mind, not your fists, Peanut."

Gauri let her leg attack his shin with a glare as she brought her fist dangerously close to his throat, "Don't call me Peanut or I'll really crush your nuts this time!"

Omkaara raised his hands in mock surrender as he met the fiery rage in her eyes with calm humor in his own. "Got it, Ms. Gundi. I got it."

Gauri withdrew her fist as she tucked a strand of his hair into the cap while looking up at him carefully, "So, why don't we beat them up. Since you see how well violence works in our favour?" She fluttered her eyelashes trying to copy the way she had seen girls flirt with guys to get things done. She had to coerce him into an adventure. There was no going back now.

Omkaara laughed so hard he almost fell down from his seat. Shaking his head, he asked her in breaks between his laughter, "Was that- that supposed- to be - ahh, why? Just why did I- see that?"

Gauri pouted as she looked at the dying man in front of her. Her first attempt at flirting and what a major fail. He was supposed to be falling at her feet, ready to fulfill her whims, not fall face first laughing. Her hands itched to slam his head into the seat but she controlled because he was already half dying with the laughter.

"Ahh! Are you gay?"

Omkaara stopped laughing for a second, blinked and then burst into another round of walrus wheezing wails that were somehow supposed to express his amusement. To Gauri, it was just the sound of her defeat and shame.

"Why- How does- your brain exactly work?"

She shook her head, getting up and putting on her bag pack as she heard the announcement of a station. She'll just get out of this train and this adventure and forget this forever.

"Hey! Where are you going?"
She heard his voice still raspy from all the lung exercise that he did, call out behind her but she paid no heed as she got off the train and turned to check the platform to figure out where exactly had she ended up with this failure.

A hand wrapped itself around her wrist and her elbow immediately jutted the man in his abdomen as a knee jerk reaction. Only to stop when the man wailed a now familiar moan.

"Omkaara ji?"

"Who else can you see on this deserted platform?"

Gauri let her eyes take in her surroundings and found about ten people on the entirety of the platform. The station name wasn't something she was familiar with either.

"Where are we?"

Omkaara sighed and slacked against a pillar. "I don't know. But I'll call for a driver. Please don't just impulsively jump out of a train again. I almost had a heart attack trying to save you."

"Why?"

Omkaara ignored the question as he dialled Shivaay's number. To be honest, he didn't know the answer. Okay, he did but it was kind of lame and he had other things to worry about. Like the fact that they were stuck in the middle of nowhere.

"Are you backing off? It's okay, I knew it was too much. I'll send Khanna. Come back." Were the words that greeted him after the callertune.

Omkaara sighed before massaging the side his aching head as he said, "I am not quitting. I just need you to find my locations and send me a driver."

"Why do you want to do this? It's not safe. Just come back."

"It's just clicking photos, Shivaay. Besides, I already promised someone an adventure."

"Fine. But take care. And if things get a little suspicious just run out okay?"

"Don't worry. I have hired a goon to protect me. Just send the driver okay?"

Omkaara cut the call with a smile and found hazel eyes glaring at him again. "What did I do now?"

"Why would you assume that I would get into a car with an unknown man?"

"You followed the said man here to the middle of nowhere, why wouldn't you trust me a little longer?"

"Trust? I didn't trust you, Omkaaraji. I just tried to use you as a getaway."

"Then use me all the way na. What is this half ride?"

Gauri huffed out a breath as she pondered over her situation again. "Can you answer a few of my questions?"

"I'll allow you two before your curiousity gets the better of you."

"How cocky!" Gauri remarked as she glared back at his all knowing eyes. "So, why do you need me?"

"Because."

"Because what?"

"Let me complete the sentence woman! Because I am trying something new and I would rather do it with you."

"Why me?"

"Because you definitely know self defense."

"And what makes you think that I wouldn't run away and save myself?"

"Let's call it intuition."

Gauri snorted a sarcastic chuckle. "How can you be so dim and wise at the same time?"

"How can you be so sceptical and curious at the same time?"

"Fine. I've already mortgaged my soul. Might as well sell it."

"That was a very literally wrong statement." Omkaara corrected with wisdom.

"I don't discriminate with age. I'll punch you if you annoy me anymore." Gauri replied with irritation.

****

"How do I look?" Gauri asked Omkaara as she squared her shoulders while walking into the amusement park. She had to make the best of whatever little adventure was there in here. And she had to be the best damn spy possible.

"You look obvious. Loosen up, we are here for a ride." Omkaara commented.

"We are going into enemy territory, we need to always be on guard." Gauri replied with determination.

"You're cute."

"I am not cute. Sexy, hot, drop dead gorgeous, yes. Not cute."

"That was my new definition of cute."

Gauri glared at him. "You are an idiot."

"Doesn't change the fact that you are cute."

Gauri elbowed the stubborn idiot as her left hand automatically fisted itself. "I told you I don't discriminate with age."

Omkaara grinned. "You finally loosened up. Now, let's go to the science park."

Gauri frowned. "What a nerd! You come to an amusement park for science park."

"That's where the deal is taking place. Let's get going."

"Should've told me before." Gauri called out after him as she sped up her small steps to meet his large strides.

The science park was just as Gauri had predicted. So boring that even lost souls refused to waste their time there.

"Where to?" She asked Omkaara as she looked around the area searching for the place this deal could be taking place in.

"I don't know. We'll have to search the grounds. Here, take this notepad and take notes of all the exits and try to find suspicious older men inside."

"What are you going to do?"

"I am going to try to move to the gallery area for better view of the deal."

"I bet the only kind of men that go inside are the Flat Earthers searching for evidence or aliens who are searching for a way to destroy Earth." Gauri muttered to herself as she took a deep breath and entered the park, crossing the big Earth model kept there as the muffled chuckles of a dying Omkaara echoed in her ears.

That guy laughed way too much!

Walking through the halls, Gauri looked around carefully and found out that the place did give off a sketchy kind of vibe. The most suspicious part of it was that there were people inside. Not ghosts but breathing people. Like people who were supposed to have a life that they'd gladly pause to be here. Gauri wasn't a fan of this kind of suicidal thinking. She almost asked a man if he was clinically depressed when she saw him looking at some kind of spring contraption with interest.

She shuddered as she thought of the wierdo that reminded her of her school days. Those dreadful physics formulas and scary equations were gone now but she still had the lingering scars that remained with their faintest memories.

Omkaara couldn't help but smile when he saw her looking at another scientific model with disgust. She was so obviously disgusted but at least she knew how to be sneaky. "Sorry." He muttered to her diminished form from the observer's gallery as he jumped the fence and ran to the place where the deal was actually happening, the garage at the back of the park.

Gauri walked out with her victory in hand and found Omkaara right where she left him, whistling as he kicked dirt to make a small burrow.

"I knew you were lying. You didn't go anywhere and made me do all the hardwork."

Omkaara smiled apologetically. "I try to be truthful but old habits die hard."

"And lazy mules like you die last."

Omkaara laughed as he shook his head. "I am older than you. Is that how you respect your elders?"

"Told you I don't discriminate with age. Here, let's use our brain and find out where the deal is actually taking place. I couldn't find any secret hallways though."

He looked down at the sketch and held in a chuckle. "How am I supposed to understand anything from this?"

"What do you mean?"

"Where are the directions? You just scribbled a line on a blank paper."

"Isn't that how navigation works?"

Omkaara chuckled as he pocketed the paper and turned to walk back towards the rides. "Please don't ever say that to a tracker. They'll get a heart attack or a brain stroke. Actually I think they'll get both."

"Okay, I suck at directions but why are we going back? Let's do it, na!"

"The deal already took place. Thanks to you jumping off the train, we couldn't catch them." Omkaara lied as he fastened his steps.

Gauri's eyes widened. "Did I ask you to get off too? Why are you blaming me? Blame your inner Mother Teresa."

"More like SRK." Omkaara muttered to himself before shouting over his shoulder, "Let's see who gets to the bumping cars first."

Gauri blinked as she saw him sprint ahead of her taking a head start of about twenty metres. She tried to tell herself it was childish but her pride had already commanded her legs to start kicking, her heart to beat faster and her mouth to shout out, "I'll win!" before her brain registered the betrayal.

***

"Ha! I won! I won!" Gauri danced to her own victory in the arcade as Omkaara slumped against the wall, checking his watch to see that it was already evening. Which meant that the rollercoaster was only open for about fifteen minutes more.

"Fine. Let's go to the roller coaster and end it there."

"Roller coaster?" Gauri gulped with the memories of that day haunting her again. "Let's skip it and go to the water slide instead."

"I told you I am scared of water."

"What a phattu!"

"I am not the one declining to go to a roller coaster."

"I just get motion sickness."

"You didn't get motion sickness when you were turning 360 degrees on the last ride ."

"Okay. I just don't feel like doing it."

"Why?"

Gauri looked ahead and found the big ride standing tall like it was that day, fourteen years earlier. There were shouts of scared children, whoots of rowdy adults and of course cheers of encouraging friends who preferred to stay away from the ride.

Fourteen years ago, at a park like this, next to a smaller ride than this, she had tugged on her mother's hand. "Can we ride around the roller coaster before the giant wheel?"

Her mother had lovingly squeezed her cheeks and asked, "Aren't you afraid? How can you be so fearless, Gauri?"

"Cause I have you Maa. And because I will grow up early like you."

"Look at this seven year old's guts. Just because I taught you a pretty trick doesn't mean you get to grow up early. In fact I'd prefer it if you never grow up."

"Why?"

"Because when you grow up you might not love me as you do now. You may be ashamed to have me as your mother."

"Never, Ma. I promise, never." The seven year old had promised as she hugged her mother tight. Before pleading to go on a roller coaster again. Had she known that they were the last moments she had with her mother, she would have chosen to hug her and listen to her voice just a second longer. Maybe she could've remembered the warmth of her arms and the murmur of her voice a little better then.

"Gundi?" Omkaara called her back to the reality in front of her.

She looked up at the roller coaster and then Omkaara. She had made sure to never ride the roller coaster with someone she wanted to stay with for longer than the ten minute adventure, scared that she'd appear too strong and make them run away too. Like her mother did, that same day, only to never return alive again.

"Peanut?" He called out again and she looked into the warm eyes that she had known for lesser than some five hours. Did she want to ride the roller coaster with him?

When her heart replied with a strong 'No' she was forced to replay all the times he showed care and affection throughout the day, like throwing away an important task to make sure she was okay, like waiting for her outside the women's washroom because he was concerned that the men of the rival may have seen her and the fact that even now he was looking at her with concern. Like he was waiting for her to unravel so that he could patch her back again.

And so the decision was made. She would go on this roller coaster. If only to drive him away from the mess of her life, she would do it. If he still managed to stay, then- she didn't know what came next but she knew what she was hoping for. For him to stay. Even as she tried to push him away, she was hoping for him to stay. She had known this man for all of seven hours and it was enough for him to break her will and start a war in her heart. And that was scary enough for her walls to go back up as she announced, "Let's do it."

"We don't have to if you don't want to."

"I want to. Scratch that I need to do this."

"Peanut, you're scaring me now."

"Don't be a phattu and hop on." She said as she dragged him through the short queue and towards the last compartment of the train.

"Are you okay?" Gauri was convinced that Omkaara had lost at least half of his soul with the amount of screaming he had done throughout the half ride. He had infact screamed so much that the operaters had decided to cut down the ride and politely escort them out for "Safety reasons" which Gauri had promptly called bullshit code word for we don't want a lawsuit if he dies.

"Yeah." Omkaara muttered a little shakily as he drew in a deep breath. "Sorry for that."

"If you were so scared then why did you go up?"

"Sorry." He muttered to the ground again and Gauri had a hard time not pulling him down and hugging the fear out of him. She sure knew how to catch feelings fast. And the only downside was that the man she was catching all these feelings for probably thought of her like a little sister or worse a child.

She watched him pant for his breath and decided to pity him one more time before she ran away from him with her baggage. "I'll get some water," she muttered to his bent over figure as she raced to the shop on the other side of the ground.

She had just turned to run back to him with the water when she saw him taking a call and walking away. Deja vu made her knees weak as she watched him signal that he was taking a call and walking away towards the exit, just like her mother did that day.

He wouldn't return. Just like her mother didn't. All she could hope was for him to never return. Because it was seeing the dead body of her mother in a shroud that hurt more than hearing the news of her going away.

She took a deep breath refusing to let the tears overwhelm her as she promised not to wait this time. She promised herself that she would let go this time. Because she would never judge her mother for being in the same car as a married man when she died. She would never blame her mother for never returning that day after she promised to ride roller coaster again. Because she had promised her mother she would never change her perception of the wonderful woman who raised her and her sister single-handedly.

Wiping the traitorous tears that had escaped, she made her way towards the exit. She was leaving yet another great day to the amusement park. She was yet again leaving alone with nothing but good memories that she promised not to taint.

She stopped by the bumping cars on her way out. One more thing to never do with someone she wanted to stay longer than a few hours with. On her way to the exit, her footsteps somehow traced back to the science park, the haunted place that she would've never visited if not for him. She chuckled through her tears laughing out loud until a strange whisper sounded to her left. She strained her ears to see if she had started hearing things too when she heard it again. It sounded like someone was getting mugged with whispers of 'hand it over' and 'you better not make me wait.'

She pulled in a deep breath, squared her shoulders and tightened her fists as she peeked a look into the dark alley where she could make out four bulky guys crowded against a wall. Taking the iron rod that was used to keep people away in her right hand she counted the numbers from one to ten in her mind before lounging on a goon, hitting him right in crook of his neck to throw him to the ground. The other three alerted by her presence, tried to attack all at once only to run into each other when she ducked and moved to their hostage.

"Omkaara ji?" She called in wonder to the man standing closely against the wall, with a piece of cloth in his hand. "You thought you could save yourself with this?" She asked in amazement of the fool who was still holding tightly to the strip of of cloth.

"Uhmm, I took what I could to save myself." He muttered sheepishly, throwing the cloth behind her with force.

"Use that power to run. I will hold off the goons." She commanded as she turned her back to him, knocking yet another goon down with a blow to his forehead as the other one sneaked behind her to catch her off guard.

His arm snaked around her neck in a choking hold as he talked to someone over phone. "Yes, boss. I need some backup. We won't let him escape."

"Not on my watch," Gauri warned the goon, elbowing his ribs and bending her waist to throw off the goon from over her shoulder onto the ground.

She looked around for the third goon but found him gone. Probably to look for back up. Shs looked down proudly at the three men groaning half consciously. She turned to the wall to find Omkaara gone too. Probably calling the police, she thought as she walked away from the mess, towards what she hoped was the exit.

If he came back, he was better off without her. If she found him, she could just taunt him into leaving. Either way tonight was only a fairytale she would look back to some time again.

***

"Shivaay? What's it now?" Omkaara asked irritatedly as his eyes traveled back to the park guards scanning the perimeters for goons. It was more of an act to fool him but he knew better. The person who owned this park was most definitely not concerned for an Oberoi heir.

"Why aren't you back yet?"

"I just need to find someone. I'll be back in a few hours."

"Om, I wouldn't have forced you to come if I could help it but I really need you right now."

"What happened?"

"I think I found her."

"Found who?"

"That girl."

*****

"What were you doing out so late?"

Gauri cringed at the words and retracted her foot from the last stair to the apartment. Taking a deep breath, she readied herself for the scolding of a lifetime, wondering how her Mami sensed her presence so early this time.

"Gauri was already astray and now you've started being shameless too? Can you and your family bring us anything but shame?"

Gauri opened her eyes at the words and padded her way to the entrance, eavesdropping on the conversation through the paper thin walls that their old and rattled apartment building had.

"I am sorry, Mami. There was just too much of a rush at the Dosa stall." Anika's voice shook slightly, alerting Gauri that it was a very big lie.

"Then why did you come home with a man? Do you really want to be your mother? Tell me now so that I can throw you out along with your sister before you taint our name any further."

"Mami, you know we would never bring shame to the family."

"Then what was this shirt doing in your closet? And why were these ghungroo in your sister's bag?"

Gauri bit her tongue as she realised that she had changed her bag this morning and forgotten the ghunghroo inside. That chant Mami had to scramble her room the one day that she messed up.

"The ghunghroo are Maa's last gifts to her. She can't just throw it away."

"The same mother who was a prostitute. If you don't want me telling Gauri the truth of your mother, you better hand in the college tuition to me. We need to pay the rent too. And keep a tight leash on that Maharani. She is just her mother's photocopy. "

Gauri had heard enough for today. So, she traced her steps back to the foot of the stairs and stomped her way towards the house, making sure to shout out their names joyously before opening the door with a bang.

"Where were you?"

"I went to see a nice grave for you. How nice is it to have a community graveyard right at the other end of the town. That way, you can at least leave me alone when you die."

"You little-" Gauri's Mami began but was stopped by a flick on her hand by the one and only Gundi, who taunted the taunt she had recieved way too many times to count. "Good girls don't swear. And if they do, they get punished. Do you want to starve tonight?"

Ritika Devendra Sharma should have been used to this insolence. But like always she fell right in the trap and shrieked. "Get inside your room before I throw you out."

"Then how are you going to pay the rent, Ms. Unemployed since last year and too lazy to find another job, Mami? Because I'll drag out Anika di urf your only source of income with me."

"You! I'll take you out of the college."

"A big favour you'd do to me. So, go ahead and try."

"Gauri!" Anika hissed as she saw her Mami's temper rise.

"Fine. That's enough bezzati for the day. Talk to you tomorrow Mami!"

Gauri cheerfully went into the room that she and Anika shared, putting her ears on the door to eavesdrop again.

"This girl needs to be married away asap."

"But Mami-"

"I'll find someone a little older. That way we wouldn't have to worry about dowry."

"Mami! Please, she is just a child. Let her live her life."

Gauri got her ear away from the door, miffed at the last words of the conversation. Of course she was just a child. Of course she wasn't worthy of knowing the family secrets and the financings. Of course, she was supposed to go to college forgetting the fact that her sister was literally wearing herself out trying to support the family.

Anika and Ritika had tried their hardest to conceal her mother's profession from her but unfortunately they had forgotten that Gauri went to a school. A school where every student knew of her mother's story. The story of a dance teacher who was a rich man's mistress. There were many synonyms that attached themselves to her mother's reputation once the "truth" was out. Prostitute, call girl being the ones that were most used.

She had known the truth for about thirteen years now and understood it for the past ten. But because she was the younger one, she had to pretend not to know. Because Anika had dedicated her entire life into keeping it a secret.

She counted backwards from ten waiting for the moment when her elder sister would give her another lecture on family. She was at five when the door opened and at one when Anika opened her mouth.

"Why are you so childish Gauri?"

Not childish but upfront. She wanted to say but because she couldn't break her sister's heart ever, she faked a grin as she retorted, "Because you never let me grow up."

"Aww mera bacha." Anika cooed at the bright smile, taking her younger sister in her arms as she let go of the tensions of the day. "Bacha, you know that Mami is all that we have na? And we are all that she has. So, please try to keep this long tongue of yours in control."

"You are all that I have. That witch isn't my family."

"Gauri!" Anika warned with little fight but like always let the matter go lest her secrets be revealed.

"So, tell me why are you returning just now?"

"How did you know?"

"You're wearing the apron but there is no smell of food in the house. Of course you just came back."

"Wo, I- Wait. What were you doing until so late? I was waiting for you before closing the stall and that's why I got late." Anika turned the subject with a suspicious frown.

"I was busy falling in love. And I know the last part is a lie. Spill fast!" Gauri urged.

"Love?" Anika almost shrieked but controlled herself.

"Arree, Salman Khan Di. I went out for a movie with friends." Gauri lied again. But then again, tonight was no different from a short film with no ending.

"Oh. I almost had a heart attack."

"Don't worry, real men can't fit my standards. And I know the rule to live in this house, no men until marriage."

"Gauri-"

"But enough about me. You tell me what were you doing so late with a man, young lady? Were you torturing someone into studying again? I know it wasn't Nikhil because you lied when I took his name. Who's the new tortured soul?"

"Nikhil came by today." Anika started in a somber tone that alerted Gauri. Shifting to sit on the bed with an arm slung around Anika's neck, she silently encouraged her elder sister to speak. "He is going to Canada for a programme. So, he proposed."

"Whew! You got me all worked up for nothing Di. So you said yes na?"

"I asked him what he wanted to do after the programme and he wants to settle down there. I can't leave you and Mami alone."

"Wait! Pause. You are telling me you said no to the man you love. For what? Because you don't want to leave us? What nonsense! Tell me the real deal Di!"

"I don't love him Gauri. I just thought he would've accepted me for who I am. And I was hoping he would accept you and Mami too because he's an orphan like us."

"Why do you want to take a mother-in-law with you when you have the opportunity to not have to worry about that? And Mami? I would prefer a witch over her."

"Gauri!"

"Okay, so you broke up with Nikhil. Whatever. He is not the last man on Earth and you are beautiful enough to score another. But then, who did you come home with?"

"Shivaay." Gauri narrowed her eyes at the name. She had a feeling she had heard it before and a stronger feeling that this name was important to her sister.

"Shivaay who?"

"I met him today."

"And?"

"And what? He just offered to drop me home, so I came with him."

"I smell a crush."

"What nonsense."

"No 'Gauri grow up'. Man, my sister's whipped."

"It's nothing like that. He just has really nice eyes. Blue ones. Kanji aankhein."

"Uh-huh."

"If you're done changing, make some food before I starve!" Ritika called the two breaking the happy bubble between the sisters.

"Do us a favour and eat poison instead of starving. The latter takes too long!" Gauri called out and was immediately rewarded by a flick on the forehead from Anika and a banshee scream from her Mami.

She laughed it off, shoving Anika into the washroom as she moved out to blast her Mami some more. That manipulative bitch deserved it for emotionally abusing her Di.

At the dinner table, Ritika seemed to be itching to say something. Gauri noticed but pretended not to because she was playing the dumb younger sister at the moment. So, shoving the daal chawal topped by lehsun chutney into her mouth she focused on her favourite dish and enjoyed the tense silence.

"Mami do you want something?" Anika, being the dutiful niece noticed.

"Nothing. I was just wondering how we're going to pay for you guys' wedding. Anika is already past twenty seven so I think she'll only find a guy in his forties. Gauri is young but that mouth is going to ensure that she gets someone in his thirties at least. It's a cruel fate but seems like you guys are going to have to find divorcees."

"Or we could just stay spinster for life, like you." Gauri muttered around the chawal still refusing to do anything but pig out on her Di's cooking. She could think back and imagine herself as the head of the family who shushed her Mami the right way later. Food was more important.

"What do they teach you in college? But then again, how would you know anything about studying, when you fail each subject."

"I wouldn't fail dance if you let me."

Ritika's hand slammed down on the table with a resounding thud. "If you mention it one more time, I'll throw you out, god damn that promise I made to my husband on our only night together."

"I don't want to go to college. I don't want to study a subject whose name I hate. Why is it so difficult for you to understand?"

"I don't want you to go to college either. But your sister refuses to let go of that damn dream of your mother. What am I to do?"

"Then just marry me off. I'll kill my husband on the wedding night like you did." Gauri shouted in desperation getting up from the table and throwing the door open as she exited the house wanting to escape the aftermath that would come.

****

The cold air wrapped her in a hug that strangely seemed comforting. More comforting than her home. Because she didn't have to pretend here.

And because the cold reminded her of her mother. Everyone always remembers the warm hugs but to Gauri, the cold fingers that held her hand were the only vivid memory of her mother's touch. Her mother was always cold but holding those ice cold fingers just felt safe.

Climbing over the weak fence wall, Gauri took in the glory of her home. Compact chawls and the smoke of hookah was a good enough view if you had someone good to reminisce about. The word good reminded her of her meeting with a strange Jatadhari.

Omkaara.

The perfect Shiva. The calm Yogi. Alas, her name wasn't as fitting as his.

She wasn't his Parvati. She was just one of those side characters, one of the demons probably. Just someone who created havoc and loved it. Someone who didn't mind getting her hands dirty. Someone who could never be his goddess. Someone who was too flawed for the perfection that he represented.

The reason she liked him was probably because of the way he looked at her. Like she was just another person. A person who could be strong, who could be dumb and who could be kind. He looked at her without prejudice and it was refreshing. Because Gauri had always been trapped playing the role other people imagined as hers. She never had the time to just be herself.

Sighing she looked up at the stars this time. Her mother's dream was for the sisters to be successful. She didn't know why college was linked to success in Anika's mind. To Gauri, success was living life with a purpose. It doesn't matter if you don't achive it. You should just have something to look forward to everyday. But what did she know? She was just a dumb college girl in her twenties with a tongue too long and a heart too guarded.

She had too many secrets too. One of them being the fact that she had been saving up money for Anika's dream. Her Di had wanted to be a doctor when she was young. A vet to be more specific. Gauri had only one goal in life. Giving her sister that dream. That dream that she had selflessly given to her younger sister the day she took up a spatula to run a Dosa stall to support the family.

Gauri placed her hands on the fence wall standing up on the barely holding wall with little difficulty as she shouted the words she always did on lonely nights like this.

"Maa why is life so unfair? Why is Di so stubborn and stupidly selfless? Why did I have to be your daughter? Why did you have to leave?"

"I usually don't do this." A gruff voice startled Gauri and she almost slipped down the ten storied terrace and onto mother earth if not for her her fall being prevented by two strong arms folding over her waist and dragging her back into the terrace.

"But I can't see someone committing suicide. Let's call it childhood trauma." The guy mumbled over her head sarcastically, still holding her in that position.

Gauri's spider senses tingled. She was in the hold of a stranger in the middle of the night with no soul in sight. Her elbow aimed the man's gut as her foot shot down to stomp on his little toe, figuring that fighting was always better than thinking when you don't have a really developed brain. The man's hands shot out catching her elbow as his left leg wrapped around her shank so tightly, she almost lost feeling in her legs.

"Ah, that's not how you repay a favour, babe." The hand holding her elbow twisted it behind her waist as his other hand pushed her head down and into the wall. Thankfully, she was able to break the momentum enough to not get hurt.

"Who are you?" She muttered through clenched teeth as tried to sneak her leg out of his hold while trying to scratch his hand with the hand in his grasp.

"You really think you are in the position to ask this?" His gruff voice sounded a little away and she tried to take the distance to her advantage as she pushed away from the wall, only to be slammed right back in as the tall man slammed his body against hers.

"You sure fight a lot for someone who was about to give up on life."

"I wasn't committing suicide." Gauri yelled as his hand started hurting her.

He left her wrist with a jerk, moving away from her as if in shock. Gauri didn't care for the reasons as she turned to face the man, aiming her fist at where she estimated his face to be in the dark.

He caught her wrist with ease, using his other hand to punch her square in the face.

Gauri was stunned by the punch. She had fought men before but none of them actually managed to hit her face. Not once.

The shock hadn't worn off when another punch knocked her on the other cheek. Looking up at the masked bastard with glaring eyes, she moved her fist towards his nose intent on breaking it, when another punch knocked her down on the forehead.

She moved back, taking a jump start to tackle him through a head butt on his abdomen, only for him to hold her head and punch her stomach sending her reeling back into the wall that shook from the impact. She huffed trying to control her breathing before aiming for a punch again.

He caught her with ease, this time throwing her down on the hard floor and moving away again. Gauri groaned before getting up and shaking her head, waiting for him to attack this time. He didn't.

She frowned. "Are you tired already?"

The masked man shrugged as he leaned against the wall, offering no answer.

"Why aren't you attacking me?" Gauri asked suspiciously, buying time to check if all her bones were intact, which thankfully they were.

"I don't attack anyone. I only pay back what I am served with." His gruff voice replied as he gave his back to her while looking down at the chawl.

"Who are you?" Gauri got up slowly, sneaking behind him, hoping to catch him off guard.

"Someone you love." He turned flashing his teeth in the darkness, making Gauri take a startled jump back to move away from him.

"What?"

"So you are gullible too." He turned back to the shabby view.

Truthfully, she had been too busy trying to attack him to even completely comprehend what he had said. Now that she did. She obviously, replied with sass.

"Of course, I don't believe you."

"So you're upfront too." He turned to take a step closer and Gauri involuntary took a step back. Not because she was scared but because she wanted him to think that she was. Maybe he'd stop the mind games then. And maybe he'd stop startling her every few seconds.

"Stop trying to know me."

"I already know that you're an impulsive, hotheaded, stupid female who chooses to stupidly beat air than escape. I don't know why it's kind of hot though."

"Why do you want to know me? Who the fuck are you?"

"I don't want to know you. But I do want you. As to who I am, you'll find out when you read this." The man forwarded an envelope which Gauri readily accepted only to bump her head into his chest as he pulled the envelope back to himself.

Knocking her head with a light fist, he reprimanded, "Never trust a stranger Darling."

"And never trust a shortie, Stranger." Gauri retorted kneeing the man right where the sun didn't shine. Only to wince when her knee found a hard guard instead.

The man didn't wince. He just turned her in his arms, shoving the envelope into her hands as he whispered his last words over her ears. "I am always careful, Honey. Burn it once you've read it." And he slipped into the shadows he emerged from making Gauri stand there with a poised fist and pissed expression on her face as the envelope lay on the ground.

Because Gauri had never learnt of patience, she sat right at the spot where she had been thrown a few minutes ago, trying to read the letter in the very dim lights.

If you don't want your life anymore, give it to us.

The first line was written in red and Gauri rolled her eyes at the colour choice more than the words. What a corny idiot!

I know life's hard but how about you do something good to make your afterlife a little better. A charity to wash away your sins, you know.

Gauri huffed out a laugh. What immature writing was this? She used to write more convincing letters back in grade school and she was the last in her class.

Pranked you, didn't I? This was just a prank. The real deal is inside. I am hoping you laughed.

Who was this man exactly? And why was he handing out these scary letters thinking that it's humorous. Gauri thought to herself turning the single page to find nothing written on the other side. She frowned rereading the two stanzas before staring at the paper hoping for it to sprout something.

"Burn it once you read it." He had said. So, was she supposed to burn it and find something to read? But he had clearly said burn it after you read.

Gauri shook the paper, crumbled it and then shook it some more. But it showed nothing out of the ordinary behaviour for paper, which was to shrink and get on the verge of tearing.

Frowning she looked at the paper for what she swore was the last time. If she didn't find anything, she would just consider it a strange dream and sleep. Curiousity can go kill another cat.

Gauri blinked when she saw a minor differences between the two edges. One was curled inwards while the other had curled outwards to reveal another paper that could be found after peeling the first. She grinned ripping away the first letter to find the actual letter written neatly in black letters.

Leopards are an illegal organization that receives legal help. We do not guarantee the safety of your body but we do guarantee the survival of your bank account.

Leopards don't announce, they only attack.

Take the envelope to a beach.

Gauri blinked re reading the letter and then, laughing. Did he think she was an idiot? No sane person would believe that the words were written by anyone older than ten. What a waste of time she could have spent sleeping!

She stood up, turning to leave when footsteps made her halt. She tried to turn to the person but he held her arms, preventing the turn.

"I thought I told you to burn it." It was the gruff voice of the masked prankster.

"What is it? The April Fool's day? I, of course don't believe you or that letter."

"Why?"

"Leopards, seriously? Why have I never heard of this illegally legal gang?"

"Because Leopards are the best at camouflage. They don't appear unless they want to let you in."

"Go consult a doctor. I am done wasting my time."

"I wasn't going to tell you this but I know magic."

"So what? Now I am convinced you need a psychiatrist."

"Gauri, listen to me. I said I know magic."

"How- how do you know my name?"

"Do you really not remember?"

"What?"

"Forget that you saw me today. We don't want someone that dumb on the team. Goodbye." The hands left her shoulders but she stood right where she was. His words finally making sense.

"Gauri baby, Mama needs to leave right now but I'll return. And if- if I can't. I'll send someone. If they say they know magic, ask them how. If they use Mama's name in the answer, then, they are there to help you reach me. Always trust them Gauri. And don't tell anyone about the fact that we were together in the amusement park. Let everyone believe that you were there on your class picnic but got left behind. Okay?"

Gauri turned to find nothing but darkness. Her eyes drifted to find the envelope still on the ground. If it were really a chance to meet her mother or at least know the story behind her death, she wouldn't back down. Not until the world turned upside down or her Di got in the way of the plan.

*****

Entering your own home after storming out of it is an experience that is humiliating and infuriating both. But when you are wondering about the fact that you may have finally found a golden light that could lead to the mystery you have been dying to solve, the memories of your rebellion don't really surface. Which was a bad thing, because now, Gauri had entered the room smiling wide, only to freeze in her steps when she heard Anika crying to a photo.

Their mother's only photo. The one that Anika secretly let Gauri keep when their Mami destroyed all of their mother's memories.

"Di?"

"Mumma loved him the most in the world. Mami's husband was also our mother's brother. And he was the single most precious man to her." Anika sobbed not bothering to look at Gauri.

"I am sorry for saying what I said." Gauri confessed sitting next to her sister to look at the photo of their mother hugging her younger brother, making him forcefully smile at the camera. Everyone always said that Gauri was a walking and talking photocopy of her mother. The rowdiness, the no filter attitude and the matching physical characteristics included. But ever since her death, the similarity had never really been talked about with pride.

"You need to grow up Gauri. You can't just throw words whenever and wherever you want."

"I am sorry Di. It's just that I wanted to hurt Mami the way that she always hurts us." Gauri admitted with a little shame. Bringing up their Mamu was really really low. Because that was a wound deeper than what their mother's so called truth had created. Anika was two when he died in his sleep, the same day that he got married to Ritika. Or so they were told. Gauri doubted the theory for many reasons, one of them being the fact that their Mami chose to stay in the family when her one day old husband died. She could've remarried then why wouldn't she? It wasn't a love marriage either way.

"She is only concerned for our well being, Gauri. Don't forget that we wouldn't have survived this long if she hadn't taken us in."

"We would've survived just fine. Probably better."

"How? Who would've helped us?"

"Just someone that was always looking out for us." Gauri muttered hiding the empty envelope in her pockets as she gave her sister her best puppy eyes. "But leave this. Let's eat ice-cream, please?"

"Are you asking or ordering?"

"Pleading, Di. I am pleading. For you to stop this melodrama." Gauri joined her hands, giving a performance that would make any daily soap heroine proud.

"What will I do of you?" Anika shook her head, letting Gauri drag her to the fridge.

"You'll eat ice-cream with me, forever and ever."

****

The next day seemed brighter to Gauri. Probably because she finally had a chance to find the mystery of her mother's death. She woke up early, prepared her bag and then made her way to the kitchen. Making a Cheese sandwich, she took some ketchup and wrote a 'S' on it. Covering the sandwich with a plate, she kept it on the table for her Mami to eat and forget yesterday.

That was the way things worked between them. Never say sorry but just make the other bhukkad some food to keep their trap shut.

Walking out she made sure she had taken the empty envelope with her as she waited for the local. She would just go to a beach with the envelope today. College can wait. The Leopards probably won't.

Her phone tinged and she checked the message from Soumya.

SOS.

Gauri frowned calling her best friend wondering what was wrong.

"I fucked up big time!" Were the words that greeted her on the other side.

"So you're not getting killed. Thank God. I am skipping today. Byeee."

"No you're not. I am in a crisis here babe."

"What happened?"

"I got drunk last night."

"So, did you call Rudra? I told you to call me."

"I wanted to call you but somehow I confused Gauri with Kalyani."

"Kalyani?"

"Rudra's grandmother."

Gauri burst out laughing. "You must be the first woman to drunk dial you're ex's grandmother."

"I am really really fucked. Get here before I jump out of this window."

"Ahhh, I really had something important today!"

"I don't care. You need to come here NOW. Or I'll tell everyone that you're not five feet three inches but five feet and a half inch."

"Hey! No need to bring up my height. I'll come in an hour."

"Half an hour."

"I can't control the speed of the train. So, one hour."

"I can't control my mouth so, half an hour." Soumya threatened before cutting the call.

"What a start of a day!" Gauri phewed as she moved to get in the train, the envelope now lost in her bag like her plans had lost themselves somewhere in the mess that her life was. On the brighter side, the mess was a hilarious one, Gauri thought with a small smile cursing and pitying Soumya both.

****

As soon as Gauri entered the college, she was dragged across the long football field and down the hallway into an empty classroom that served as her Practice room for Sitar.

"I am soooo screwed" Soumya whined leaving Gauri's now red wrist to pace the small classroom.

Gauri held in a giggle as she asked, "What did you exactly say to her?"

"Things I wanted to tell you." Soumya muttered from behind her hands as she tried not to slam herself into a wall in hopes of disappearing into Hogwarts.

"Like?"

"I miss Rudy. I hate Rudra. I love Rudy. He was a good kisser but I regret not having sex with him are among the least embarrassing things I said."

Gauri couldn't hold the chuckle this time. And then, she couldn't stop herself from turning the chuckle into a fit of laughter.

Soumya glared at Gauri but could feel her lips twitching too. Damn her infectious laughter. She may be totally screwed but she knew that this situation was a hilarious one.

The door slammed open right when Gauri's laughter was beginning to subside. Gauri sobered up when she saw the spoilt barbie on the door.

Riddhima paid no heed to Gauri, approaching Soumya with long strides and interlinking their elbows. "Soumyaaaa. I have been searching for you."

Gauri raised her eyebrow at the changed tune of the Nagin and looked at Soumya for answers. Soumya shrugged, just as confused.

"Soumya babes, why don't you head practice today?"

Soumya frowned at the saccharine sweet tone before her brain told her that this was the best way to avoid meeting Kalyani Singh Oberoi. Prepping up, she beamed at Riddhima dragging her towards the auditorium with the determination of a girl who wanted to avoid the most embarassing confrontation of the century.

Gauri frowned in confusion before deciding to let go of the matter and focus on Leopards instead. She decided that since Soumya seemed better, she could make a quick detour to the beach and tell that masked man from yesterday that she remembers the phrase just right.

Gauri had just found the tacky red envelope with pink and white hearts in her bag when the door to the classroom opened and an old lady, wearing what looked like a silk designer saree that Gauri could bet cost more than all the money she has ever seen in her entire life entered the small room. The lady had an aura that screamed class, money and elegance to Gauri which was all the reason she needed to bolt out of the room. Rich people never sparked joy in her life.

But something made her stop. Looking back, it was probably Destiny. But at that moment, it seemed like curiousity mixed with shear stupidity to Gauri.

"Can I help you?" She asked softly noticing that the woman's eyes were scanning the room.

"Oh, hello there, young lady. Could you possibly help me find someone?"

Were they in an English grammar book? Who speaks so formally to a stranger?

"And who are you?" Gauri asked with little politeness.

"I am Kalyani Singh Oberoi. May I know your name-" the woman stopped midsentence looking at the red envelope in her hands with confusion before shaking her head as she changed the question. "Did I disturb you?"

Gauri instinctively shoved the letter behind her. Kalyani Singh Oberoi as in Rudra's grandmother probably thought that she was hiding a love letter and that was for the better. Because she needed to run out of here before the she asked her about Soumya.

"You did infact disturb me. How about you ask someone else for help?"

Kalyani looked taken aback by the outright disrespect but she didn't comment, instead asking her another question. "Do you play sitar?"

Gauri noticed the sitar kept on the table and nodded, eager to make the old lady leave and careful to not give her a reason to stay.

"Then, you're just the person I was looking for." Kalyani smiled wide and Gauri gulped. She had a bad feeling about this.

"What?"

"My granddaughter is very interested in music. Can you ask one of your bandmates to meet me?"

"I don't have any?"

"Pardon?"

"I am the only one in the entire college who plays sitar."

"Why?"

Because your wannabe second daughter in law hates my existence.

"I guess people just aren't interested. Now, can you tell me what you want? I have places to be in."

"Oh, I won't hold you from important things then. This is my business card. How about you come over some time to discuss some things?"

"Like what?"

"I think you would make an excellent addition to our family."

"What?"

"I want you to be my granddaughter's music teacher."

Before Gauri could respond to the idea with a strong 'No', Kalyani continued, "But let's keep business for whenever we meet next. Right now, how about I borrow a few more minutes of your time and ask you if you've seen Riddhima?"

"Riddhima?" Gauri echoed in confusion which Kalyani cleared soon.

"I thought I saw her enter here. She is best friends with a person I think I need to meet."

Best Friends? Gauri thought with an internal chuckle before replying with all honesty, "I doubt Riddhima is friends with anyone but if it helps, I think she is currently stalking the second Oberoi heir."

Kalyani chuckled trying to hide the fact that deja vu had just slapped her right across her face. The same sharp tongue and the same innocent features that housed a vixen. It couldn't be a coincidence.

This girl was the one.

Gauri unaware of the past, laughed and said goodbye, wondering why she was so honest with a stranger. Probably because this one actually had a funny bone unlike the robots she usually met. Shrugging off the wierd feeling, she stepped out of the room ready to find out more about a mystery she had been dying to solve.

***

Coming to a beach was easy. Standing like a fool with a tacky envelope in hand was not. Gauri had just begun to give up hope when she heard a sound she was all too familiar with.

Turning to see some teenagers bullying a child, she figured she might as well warm up before meeting the Leopards.

"Hey!" She called out grabbing who looked like the leader by her collar. "What do you think you're doing?"

"This is between us. Get out of here." The teenager who could be anywhere between fifteen and eighteen replied snarkily, still struggling to free herself.

"What if I don't?" Gauri raised an eyebrow tightening her grip around the mean girl's collar.

"Then, then-" the girl buffered and Gauri laughed.

"I don't have all day. But listen here, you little troublemaker. None of your friends are going to help you if you meet someone stronger. Just like they are watching now. And mind you, there will always be someone stronger. So focus on actually getting friends instead of making someone else's life miserable."

The girl frowned at the words but stood mute. Gauri figured she had helped as much as she could without knocking sense the right way. Looking at the younger girl cowering on the sand, she said, "If they bother you again, call me. Here's my number."

She left the mean girl right there and turned to leave when a voice stopped her.

"That wasn't right."

Gauri turned to face a woman who looked around her age but was definitely older. Wearing a white button up with blue jeans, her hair in a ponytail that was neither high nor low, she looked like a model on a busy day out but her green eyes had another story to tell. She definitely knew Gauri.

"What did I do wrong?"

"Helping a weakling only makes them weaker."

"And what else could I have done?"

"Watched and observed. Like a true Leopard does."

"Leopard?" Gauri's ears perked up at the mention. So, this was her ticket to where she desperately wanted to be.

The woman smirked. "Bhavya Rathore. I think you're here to meet me." She extended her hand in greeting but Gauri had learnt her lesson the first time.

"What do I have that you want?" Gauri questioned with a raised eyebrow as she fisted the envelope behind her.

Bhavya smirked again. So, this one had a brain that wasn't used often. But at least she used it sometimes. "The envelope would be good enough for proof. Follow me."

Gauri watched the other woman turn on her heels and leave. She did what no sane woman would, followed a stranger right down the rabbit hole.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

And that's the first chapter.

Hit me up with all the theories.

And the reviews of the first chapter.

As you'll must have noticed, there's lot of room for development in Gauri. And trust me she's going to grow. Or so I hope. Stay tuned for the next wild ride.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

661 54 10
π”°π”žπ”²π”‘π”žπ”‘π”’ 𝘯𝘰𝘢𝘯 𝚊 πš—πš˜πšœπšπšŠπš•πšπš’πšŒ πš•πš˜πš—πšπš’πš—πš 𝚝𝚘 πš‹πšŽ πš—πšŽπšŠπš› πšŠπšπšŠπš’πš— 𝚝𝚘 πšœπš˜πš–πšŽπšπš‘πš’πš—πš πš˜πš› πšœπš˜πš–πšŽπš˜πš—πšŽ πšπš‘πšŠπš πš’πšœ...
6.2K 573 8
Being famous isn't at all what it's cracked up to be. And Annika Trivedi knows that first hand. There's paparazzi, and bad press, and super sexy pers...
4.2K 355 9
Shivay Singh Oberoi is not someone who likes love. He is a distant person, he prefers to keep to himself and he likes to keep his social circle small...
81.5K 4.1K 29
No Description πŸ˜‰ It's a Short Story!! 1 #Oberoifamily (12/4/19) 11 #anika (30/3/19) 17 #Omkara (12/4/19) 27 #Gauri (12/4/19) 85 #Shivaay (12/4/19...