0% Love

By Drowninginwips

When Kim Rok Soo wakes up, he's in the world of The Birth of a Heroine, an otome game. He becomes Cale Henitu... More

Chapter 1: Prologue
Chapter 2: First day of school
Chapter 3: Drama at lunch
Chapter 4: Is this a bug?
Chapter 6: The brightest sun brings the darkest shadows
Chapter 7: Road to becoming best friends
Chapter 8: This event shouldn't be happening
Chapter 9: Family
Chapter 10: Cale, Raon, On, and Hong
Chapter 11: A room full of gold
Chapter 12: Danger on a moonlit night
Chapter 13: Secrets under falling snow (part 1)
Chapter 14: Secrets under falling snow (part 2)
Chapter 15: Post-drinking clarity (part 1)
Chapter 16: Post-drinking clarity (part 2)
Chapter 17: A Warning From God
Chapter 18: I'm Not Thinking About Anything

Chapter 5: Drink your worries away

1.4K 95 51
By Drowninginwips

Note: Today's morning announcement is brought to you by sooyounggf on Ao3 (and edited slightly by me + spoken by Alberu LOL). Thanks to everyone for your submissions! You can continue to submit in the comments or direct them to my curiouscat (https://curiouscat.live/shigahands) ^^

-----------------------------------------------

Once again, Cale wakes up to the intercom morning alarm. Alberu's smooth and sunny voice starts speaking from the speakers installed in every corner of the academy.

"Good morning! It's another great day for studying. Being a student at the academy is about taking lessons and learning from relationships with others, from the demands of society, from life as a whole. Be more than invited to make suggestions and work together with the student council so we can take the brightest path!"

Since these morning announcements are pre-recorded, it's possible Alberu is also lazing around in bed right now. Slightly amused by that thought, Cale snuggles back into his blankets and goes right back to sleep. Another five minutes won't hurt. He doesn't take long to prepare for school anyways.

...

A scarlet sky with a full moon extends endlessly before him. Before the sky burns an even brighter red. Enormous flames engulf the entire dorm building, the fire dancing and extending so high it seems to be pulling down the clouds themselves. There are students screaming and running away in a mad frenzy, and it's so, so hot. It feels like his face will melt off. It feels like he'll be burnt to ashes.

There's a student on the third floor balcony, and his entire body is on fire. He's shrieking and his face seems to be dripping like candlewax, becoming deformed as it burns an angry dark red. There's no one to save him, no one to watch him fall but Cale. And right before that body falls into a crumpled heap—

"Gasp!"

Shit. What the fuck? What kind of dream was that? His entire body is soaked in cold sweat but he can still feel that phantom heat singeing his skin, boiling hot in its intensity. It can't be another prophetic dream, can it? It should just be a nightmare. How unrealistic is it to have such a major and devastating event before the entry of the heroine? It makes zero sense.

Damn it. He feels like he's been cursed. Can't he just have a nice day of lazing around without anything happening? Grumbling under his breath, Cale shuffles over to the attached bathroom in his room to wash up.

When he's done, there's a letter on his carpet, dropped from the small flap at his door meant specifically for letters and small parcels. Curious, Cale walks over to pick it up.

It's an incredibly beautiful letter. The glossy material is smooth to the touch. Other than the wax seal, there's a red ribbon and a small bunch of lavender flowers. The wax seal is golden with an imprint of a turtle, so it seems to be a letter from Count Henituse. Since Cale doesn't have a letter opener, he carefully rips it open with his fingers. The paper inside is golden too, as though the sender is flaunting his wealth.

It's a pretty good sign. Cale supposes their territory is rich enough to toss money away like this.

My Dear Son,

Cale pauses. His eyes stare at the three words written in beautiful cursive. My Dear Son. The words are unfamiliar to him, to Kim Rok Soo, who's never had a father for more than two decades. When he thinks about the original Cale Henituse, it makes him wonder where the original soul in this body disappeared to. It seems a little lonely, Kim Rok Soo thinks, to have no one realize the original Cale Henituse is missing... or swapped with someone else.

Still, he's Cale Henituse now, so this is his life to live, and the person who wrote this letter is his father.

He sits down at his desk and reads it in greater detail. The letter is neat and scented with the calming scent of lavender. There's not a single smudge. It makes one wonder if it's been rewritten many times until it reached perfection.

I heard about your injury. My heart hurt so much when I got the news, and it's still hurting now as I pen this letter. Are you alright? Do you need to come home to recuperate? Your health is the top priority, so I dearly wish you recover quickly.

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

With Love,

Your Father

Cale's memories from the original host include many memories of causing trouble, of playing truant, of being alone. Family interactions are few and far, and more than that, incredibly awkward and tense. There's a happy family and then there's him—the child of the previous countess, the only one with bright red hair—the odd one out. He remembers younger siblings who watch him with wary gazes, a blunt stepmother, and an awkward father. He doesn't belong in that house. They function much better without him there.

But these words on the letter are soaked with gentle affection. Though awkward and strained, their relationship isn't terrible.

The original Cale Henituse might simply ignore this letter. Cale, however, writes a simple word and then seals the reply envelope.

Money.

He needs more money. Since he's weak, he should spend money on magical artifacts to keep himself safe. Count Deruth will most likely approve of this request, given how rich the county is. As the phrase goes in South Korea, a person can count on three ties. Blood ties, school ties, and regional ties. He'll be an idiot to not accept this opportunity. In a world like this where he's a small-time villain with terrible fates lined up one after another, Count Deruth might be his biggest, and possibly only, ally.

However, he's a little annoyed that his matters have been leaked so quickly to the Count. Was it Hans? He'll need to have a word with the doctor. Cale uncaps the bottle of vitamins on his desk and pops one in his mouth. He's never had much of an appetite in the morning.

Hm.. how should he send this letter back to the Count? Can he just leave it outside his door?

He cracks open his door to take a look and is surprised by the weight of the door. There's a paper bag hanging on his door today too. Like a curious cat, he sticks out one slender finger to tug open the top of the paper bag, taking a peek at its contents. It's... sandwiches wrapped with plastic wrap. Filled generously with beef, cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes, it seems way too hearty for breakfast.

For a moment, Cale just stares in apprehension.

Wait, why is everyone feeding him now? Is this the new player package or something? Sure, it helps him out since he's too lazy to think of what to eat or to go out of his way to queue up for food, but... Something about the black paper bag just screams suspicious.

... Maybe it's been poisoned or tampered with?

...Venion's 'lovingly' prepared lunchbox?

A full-body shudder runs through Cale. Ew. That can't be it, right? It doesn't seem like Venion or Neo's style...

It'll be a waste of food if he tosses it. He should pass it off to Choi Han. As the most popular male lead, Choi Han should be impervious to all sorts of threats to his health. It's canon that Choi Han's cooking is so terrible that it's basically poison, yet Choi Han eats it all without any issue or change in expression.

Are scholarship students separated from the other students? He's not sure. With that decided, Cale opens his door, ready to find Choi Han's room.

Cale doesn't have to go far before he finds it because...

Choi Han's room is actually right across his!!!

Cale stands there with just his head out of his room, stupefied, looking like a turtle with its head outside of its shell. What? They're that close to each other? The game never mentioned anything like this.

...It's probably because their names are close in alphabetical order? Although it's convenient for him right now since he doesn't have to search for Choi Han's room, he can see how it'll quickly become inconvenient. His actions will be noticed easily. And if Choi Han wants to become closer friends with him and ropes him into the major plot events...

Isn't this a ticking time bomb right next to him?

Cale quickly takes the small nameplate with his name off his door. He stuffs it into his pocket. Hopefully, that stalls Choi Han from finding out they are neighbours for at least a while. He's starting to reconsider if it's wise to leave the sandwiches at Choi Han's door. It feels like he's leaving a 'let's get along' gift to his neighbours in the same apartment complex or something — not that Kim Rok Soo has ever done that, although he did receive one before.

...Since it's a little late, Choi Han should already be on his way to class, right? There's no one in the hallway at all. There's nothing at all that will link the paper bag to Cale.

He quickly transfers the paper bag onto Choi Han's doorknob and retreats back into his room.

And with that done, Cale quickly packs a duffel bag. He'll be skipping class again today. Not just that, he'll be skipping roll call too. It's time to check out the nearby town and their alcohol. Him coughing blood in a dream is one thing, but seeing an entire building burn, with people burning to death is an entirely different matter.

Once he's packed all his valuables, Cale locks his room and heads towards the staircase. He's surprised to see a familiar face.

"Good morning, Paseton."

"Uh? Huh?" Paseton turns around and blinks rapidly in surprise. When he sees who it is, his tense shoulders relax, but his face is still full of wide-eyed wonder. "Oh, good morning young master Cale..."

He must still be half-asleep, Cale thinks to himself. Or maybe morning greetings aren't common here?

As a half-blood, Pasetons has never belonged in either group. Usually, both humans and whales shunned him except for his own family. He's an anomaly that shouldn't exist. The rare few who tried to befriend him usually did so in order to get closer to his extremely beautiful sister, Witira. But Cale hasn't asked about Witira at all, seeming content to just be friends with him.

Cale continues past Paseton as he walks down, blissfully unaware of the impact he has on people. With a sudden thought, Cale pauses at the bottom of the stairs. He looks up at the beautiful student with flowy blue locks and asks casually, "Hey, you wanna skip classes with me today?"

Paseton helped him out before. Although he's unsure if his dream will come true again, he should repay the favour in case it does.

Besides, back in middle school, Kim Rok Soo had envied the boys who skipped classes to go game at a PC cafe. Although there aren't any PC cafes here, it might be fun to just skip classes together with someone.

"S-skip... what?"

Paseton's hair is a little messier today as though he's overslept. However, it makes his hair look softer and fluffier, framing his face in a gentle sort of way.

Cale explains patiently, "Classes. We can drink in the nearby town. You in?"

Paseton has always been a good student with perfect attendance. He knows he's weaker than other whales and wants to become stronger in order to make his family proud. Skipping class and indulging in day drinking is quite the distant thought. But...

"It's fine if you don't feel it," Cale excuses him with a tilt of his head. Paseton looks so conflicted and troubled that it makes anyone feel bad. Kim Rok Soo has never been a clingy person. He leaves coolly. "See you around."

"...I'll definitely go if it's a Saturday!" Paseton shouts at Cale's retreating back. "Definitely!!"

"Sure." Cale acknowledges him with a backhanded wave. Since Paseton is relatively strong with a specialization in water magic to boot, he should be fine even if something does happen.

It's when he steps out of the building that he meets Choi Han.

What the hell? Why is he running into so many people today?

The dark-haired man is humming energetically under his breath as he sweeps the courtyard. His sleeves are rolled up to reveal muscular forearms—it's likely he had his fair share of hard labour in his childhood. Maybe he's been assigned cleaning duties? If so, he's the happiest student Cale has ever seen cleaning. He contemplates just walking away, but then their eyes meet at that moment as though magnetized.

Choi Han beams at him instantly. With a cheerful shout and a huge wave, he greets, "Good morning Cale-nim! Did you sleep well? Are you feeling better?"

How energetic. Cale grimaces as though he's been hit directly in the eyes by a sudden ray of sunlight.

Cale sighs inaudibly. "Do you want to go drinking with me?"

Choi Han is a male lead. He'll be protected by the plot armour. But on the chance that he doesn't... Well, it leaves a bad taste in Cale's mouth. They might not be friends, but it's still a person Cale knows. Choi Han's helped him before too.

Choi Han pauses in his sweeping. He blinks at Cale with his large, inky eyes. "Yes? Excuse me? Drinking?" It's a strange offer for sure, to drink when it's bright and early.

"Yes or no?"

Choi Han seems genuinely torn. Then he replies, "I'm sorry, Cale-nim. I need to keep my attendance above 95% as a scholarship student."

95%? Cale's attendance rate is something like 45% at this point in time, making him fail the 50% mark set by Count Deruth. How impressive.

Maybe Choi Han can join him after classes? But what if Choi Han is an important character in the event (if it happens)? Given his personality, Choi Han is likely to rush in to save other students even if he himself is safe. Maybe he's a key player in preventing the event from happening, or will be crucial in minimizing the damages. It's also possible that Choi Han doesn't have the funds to play around like Cale does either. Will his pride be hurt if Cale offers to pay?

"I'll take notes for you!" Choi Han offers. The friendly and innocent smile seems like a permanent feature on his face at this point. "Have a nice time and stay safe, Cale-nim!"

...

Damn it, nothing about this situation sits right with Cale.

He reaches out and takes the stray leaf off the top of Choi Han's head. "Make sure to eat well for lunch."

If nothing else, Choi Han should have ample energy to deal with whatever happens.

"Ah yes! I will!" Choi Han's smile gets even brighter. The area above his head is also shining.

31%

...? What the?

Cale's incredibly spooked. Did the mere mention of food remind Choi Han of Mary? For Choi Han, is love an emotion that grows wildly and uncontrollably like weed? Or is he like a stray dog whose affection ratings go off the charts once he's been fed by someone? How scary.

"Is there anything else, Cale-nim?"

"No. Bye."

Cale hightails it out of there.

Choi Han feels unexpectedly dangerous and unpredictable despite being known as the easiest route for first-time players. Cale still can't understand the specific mechanics behind the change in his affection ratings.

He stops outside the student council office. There's a giant mailbox meant for students to send mail and parcels, so he drops his letter for the Count there. When he's done, he stares at the student council room and the bright red box outside it.

There's a note posted on the request and feedback box.

We will help you with all your problems! :)

That smiley face reminds Cale of Alberu's perfectly symmetrical smile. It's clear Alberu's practised his smile in the mirror — it's way too perfect at the angles. With his arms crossed, Cale studies the note in deep thought.

The more he thinks about it, the more irritated he feels. If. IF the fire really happens... aren't things a little too exciting for a side character? And even before the actual game begins too? Sure, in the whole wide world, every person has their own stories, but...

This feels like trouble. He just wants to live a quiet life as a student and graduate with average grades. It would be better to keep his power a secret. He can't even activate it as he wants. And even if he says something, who will believe him? If he says something and it does happen, won't he become one of the prime suspects?

Still, it'll be quite troublesome if his dorm burns down. Where will he stay then? Will classes be paused? Going back to the Henituse estate where he's not welcomed will be awkward. Thus, he writes a note anonymously and slots it into the suggestions box.

Fine. Let's see if the student council really solves all problems. If nothing happens, they can just treat it as a prank.

It wasn't like he could do something even if he sees these visions. He's an F-rank. How will he be able to find the arsonist and stop them? He'll probably get killed from a single blast of a fireball. He can't even use this power at will to protect himself.

That's why he should leave it up to the experts. The people with power. The people who should do something about it. Cale might not know much about the student council as a whole, but he knew Alberu Crossman. The man was the reliable commander who rallied the students to fight against monster attacks across all routes in the game, reacting faster and better than any staff member.

-----------------------------------------------

After a short carriage ride, Cale arrives at the nearby town. There's not much to see in terms of entertainment — most of the shops are geared towards the middle and lower class and sell functional goods. There's a jewelry shop which he takes a cursory look at, and to his surprise, there are items imbued with magic — all tagged with an outrageous price tag. He should come back after Count Deruth sends money over.

Since there's nothing else to do, he heads over to the tavern. It's still pretty early and there's hardly anyone around at the dining area. Cale buys a standard room, some wine, and a medium-rare steak. Kim Rok Soo has never had steak before; he's never had much money in the past. It's pretty tasty, tastier than he imagined, so much so that he zones out for a moment with no thoughts on his mind as he chews on each juicy bite.

It's only when he clears his plate that he thinks about the fire that's supposed to happen tonight.

If he won't be there to physically see it, maybe it won't come true?

Right as he thinks that, a beer mug slams heavily against the counter, two seats away from him. Cale side-eyes the sloshing foam sliding off the side of the huge mug.

"What do you mean the crisis is averted? Are you kidding me?! I traveled all the way here for two days and nights without stopping and you tell me that it's a false alarm?"

It's a woman dressed in a long black robe and she seems to be talking to thin air. A drunk person? Her eyes seem too lucid for that. Then, simply someone crazy? Cale takes another bite of his steak, chewing with interest as he listens in blatantly. It's not hard to do so, not when the woman is basically shrieking.

"What do you mean you didn't expect this either? Aren't you a God? Fuck! I'm not doing anything for you ever again!" She slams the beer mug again, then grabs her short hair roughly. "Aah, fuck! Why can't you bother someone else? Hey, you're really leaving? Come back here! I'm not done complaining!"

Noticing Cale's gaze, she turns her anger towards him.

"What are you looking at!" Cage huffs.

"I was thinking that's a waste of good alcohol."

Cage blinks and looks down at her mug. Half of it has been emptied by her repeated slamming. "Ah!!" she yells. "You're right! What a waste!" She groans and drops her forehead onto the counter, whimpering softly. "My beer... I didn't bring much allowance out with me too..."

"Are you a priestess?"

"Yeah, unfortunately. Why? Do you want to curse someone or something? I accept gold coins as payment."

"...Can priestesses curse people?"

"I'm a priestess of death. Can't you tell from this stuffy black outfit? Ugh." Cage tugs against her high collar with a disgruntled expression. She looks about ready to quit the priesthood.

Cale snaps his fingers to get the bartender's attention. "Refill her drink on my tab."

Cage gasps out loud, eyes sparkling in joy and disbelief as her mug is filled to the brim again. She quickly takes a few large gulps, sighing in bliss as though her thirst has been finally sated. Fully refreshed, her face is now full of smiles as she speaks.

"Anyway, why are you asking? I'll help if I can since you bought me alcohol. Anyway who buys me alcohol is a friend!"

"I'm curious about the things you screamed about."

"Hngh, you're willing to buy me alcohol and listen to my troubles? What a nice guy! Do you like older women? I'll totally marry you!" Cage squeals, having fun on her own as she twists and turns in her seat.

Are priestesses allowed to marry? Wait, are priestesses even allowed to drink? Cale doesn't ask, because the conversation has been derailed enough times. "Start talking."

"Ah, well. The God of Death talks to me sometimes. He usually only bothers me in my sleep, but he's been incredibly annoying for the past few days! He won't stop bothering me! Even today, I came here because he said there's a disaster that requires my help, but now he says everything is fine! Can you believe it? What a waste of my time!"

Disaster? Maybe the fire he dreamt of? But why has it been averted?

"What sort of disaster?"

"He didn't say. He just said there would be a thick stench of death but the souls won't be allowed to return to the flow of life."

How strange. What does that mean?

"Is your God usually accurate?"

"He's never been wrong before this..."

It sounds like this God of Death has powers similar to the prophetic dreams Cale has been having. If the crisis really has been averted, that would be the best for everyone. Though... what or who stopped it from occurring?

How mysterious.

Cale flings a small pouch of gold coins onto the counter. It falls with a delightful sound, clattering against the wood. "Enjoy drinking. I'll be retiring for the day."

"Wow, how generous! Are you a God? I'll worship you from now on!" Cage jokes with her hands pressed together as though in worship. Her eyes sparkle with mirth.

Cale's never been teased by an older woman like this before, so he's not quite sure how to react. "No thanks. It's just payment for information."

"Aww, then how about a noona? I'll be your noona~"

She seems like a very troublesome person to deal with.

"No."

"Awww, what a shame." Cage pouts theatrically as she watches Cale leave. "Hey, what's your name? I'm Cage!"

"It's not important since we won't see each other ever again."

"How cold! But that's kinda nice too~"

Yeah, she's definitely not a person Cale wants to associate with. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 170 4
After becoming Cale Henituse Kim rok soo finds himself in a room with the characters he wishes to avoid. Can he achieve his dream slacker life or wil...
8.1K 719 32
Book 2 of Welcome Home [Cale x og fem character] Everything feels strange. He should enjoy his slacker life now. But something is missing. Someone tr...
27.6K 1.7K 15
Lee Chung-ae was an average woman. She was just walking back to her apartment when suddenly she got into an accident which lead her to her death. A g...
14.9K 853 19
ใ€” Kim Rok Soo x Cale Henituse (og!) ใ€• Cale made a deal with the god of death, he returned to the past and was surprised because there were several ch...