For Honor: True Darkness

By Hey_Mor_Mofongo2018

The story of a Warden. A Warden who tried to live his life the best he could. Memories of his childhood still... More

Prologue
Part 1: Darkness Aproaches
Part 2: Life & Death
Part 3: The Fate of Many
Part 4: Feelings of Vengance
Part 5: The Young Wolf
Part 6: Nothing but Lies
Part 7: Shadows
Part 8: Darkness Falls
Part 9: Dark Power
Part 10: Salvation
Part 11: Love & Heartbreak
Part 12: Ignis pluvia
Part 13: Acceptance
-Armor & Character Info-
Part 14: A Flicker of Light
Part 15: Decision [Ending Rewritten]
Part 16: The Purpose
Part 17: An Heir
Finale, Pt. 1: Rising Armies
Finale, Pt. 2: Storm of Steel
Finale, Pt. 3: A Girl, A Man, A Mother

Finale, Final Part: The Heir of War

173 6 11
By Hey_Mor_Mofongo2018

Blackstone officers and soldiers formed a dense half ring around the last fortress exit.

???: "Hold the line! Let the people through first!"

Mothers holding children and fathers holding crudely forged swords ran through the exit, running in the direction of the lake that sat to the side of the fortress. Horses and wagons they could escape with waited there. Vikings poured around street corners and alley's, rushing towards the knight's that made a final stand.

???: "Keep them away from the people leaving! Don't give them a fucking inch of dirt!"

A dozen Warden's that stood in the middle of the half ring moved to the front, lining the outer defense and standing in top guard stances. The Blackstone soldiers breathed heavily from the fight, their hands and legs nearly shaking from either fear or exhaustion.

The Vikings let out battlecry's and huffed like beasts. Nearly hundreds of them rushed the half ring of knights. Axes were thrown and fire-tipped arrows flew towards the knights.

???: "Here they come lads! Show them how we fight!"

Every man held their sword with a tight grip. It was like the world went deafly silent. Nothing but the vibrations in the ground were what the knights could sense. Adrenaline pulsed through every man's veins. Sixty knights against the Viking horde. Suddenly an officer's voice cut through the air.

???: "What is it we say to death, lads?!"

The Blackstone soldiers yelled out nearly all at once, pointing their swords, shields and spears towards the incoming force.

???: "Not now! Not today!"

???: "For Ashfeld!!"

As soon as the words left their mouths, Viking soldiers collided with the wall of knights. Limbs, blood, armor, swords, axes and shields flew through the air as chaotic close combat ensued. Near endless waves of Vikings attacked as the knights fell one by one.

A young girl who fell behind her parents held an even younger brother in her arms. She ran through the middle of the knight's before tripping, falling to the ground and catching herself with one hand. By now the Vikings were slaughtering the knights. The young girl screamed before being pulled up by one of the surviving Wardens.

???: "Get the hell out of here! Go!"

The Warden pushed the girl towards the last exit before raising their sword and slamming it's blade down into the side of a Warlord's neck.

The young girl pushed through the carnage, seeing her parents urging her onward from the gate. The younger sibling was a boy, crying from the loud noises all around them. As the girl pulled herself from the chaos a cold feeling hit her in the back, then another. Something warm began to seep through her clothes and run down the front and back of her body.

The girl looked down, seeing two blades in her body. One protruded through her stomach. The other stuck out of the side of her chest. The girl stopped moving her legs, tripping forward. The young boy in her arms cried out as blood covered the child's clothes and skin.

The boy held out his arms towards their mother and father. The girl used her remaining energy to extend her arms out and toss the young child towards their family. The girl's father dived for the tossed boy, snagging the child out of the air.

The Vikings ripped through the last of the defending knights, setting their sights on the small surviving family. Before the Vikings could reach the fleeing family, orders being shouted from behind them caught their attention.

Viking warriors returned to the front gates, cutting down any remaining Blackstone knights or any Samurai in their path. The battlefield outside was littered with bodies, and the sun began to set.

On top of the hill the Vikings had come over to attack the fortress stood a figure atop a black horse. They wore black iron plated armor and a black cape that hung down from their shoulders.

???: "Who the hell is that?"

One of the Vikings asked, lifting their round shield to their waist. Suddenly more figures began to appear. Black cloaks and silver blades were apparent.

???: "Are those..."

???: "The Black Cloaks!"

Hundreds of Black Priors stood atop the hill, holding their shields and swords close. A man who looked weak even from where the Vikings stood was sat atop a horse, glancing back at their men.

???: "Scuta!"

The front line of the massing army held their shields out, locking them together.

???: "Hastae!"

Long spears fell over the shoulders of the front line of men and swords were pushed through the cracks between their shields. The Viking, Samurai, and Iron Legion forces watched as the black armored armies formed. Black-Steel tipped spears and swords hung high in the air and pointed downwards towards the fortress. The weakened man giving the orders adjusted his helmet before pointing down towards the hill.

Sarah lifted the visor on her helmet and wiped away blood and dirt from the bottom of her chin. She then ripped the blade of her sword from a Blackstone soldier. As the fighting began to slow down, Sarah noticed the Vikings were regrouping at the front gate. Sarah glanced up towards the hill in front of the gates, seeing multiple lines of black armored soldiers getting into battle formations.

A man sat atop a dark brown horse, shouting orders. Elias huffed for oxygen as he wiped off the blood on his blade with the cloth on his forearm.

Elias: "I thought the Vikings took care of the Black Priors. Agda said they did. Right?"

Sarah nodded before pushing up the visor on her helmet.

Sarah: "They must still have a little fight in them. Come on, we have to help our—"

Before Sarah could finish, the weak man raised his arm and pointed towards the Blackstone fortress. Hundreds, if not thousands of black armored knights rushed towards the fortress in a coordinated line. The Vikings let out their war cries and ran forward as well. The few Iron Legion knights remaining stood behind, watching the two armies collide.

Elias: "We should hurry to Apollyon before this gets any bloodier!"

Sarah nodded, running behind Elias as they rushed to the top of the Blackstone fortress. Holden Cross stabbed a Blackstone Conqueror in the heart with the spike of his halberd, watching Elias and Sarah run through the fortress as he removed his bloodied weapon from his fallen foe.

Holden caught his breath, listening to the warring Viking and Black Prior armies suddenly collide and battle. Holden then lifted his large weapon, running after Elias and Sarah. Their mission was like his. Kill Apollyon. End the war.

The Samurai pushed himself from the ground and threw a downward attack with his deadly katana. Apollyon blocked the strong and quick attack, steel screeching and sparks flying as their eyes locked.

???: "You will pay for what you did to us all!"

Apollyon began to push back on the Samurai's weapon.

Apollyon: "You will have to kill me first!"

The Emperor's Champion was formidable, keeping his balance. Apollyon snarled and quickly lifted her leg, kicking the Orochi backwards before backing away.

???: 'This has to end now. She won't be taken alive. She'd rather die than answer for her crimes'

Apollyon backed up until the open balcony that looked over the front of the fortress and lands far out came into reach. The warlord knight could hear the renewed sounds of battle outside. Apollon glanced back, seeing the Black Prior armies attacking the Vikings. She saw a weak looking man staring at the battle, ordering smaller forces into formations. She knew the man's posture well enough and the uniform gave away who he was.

Apollyon: "Jürgen..."

Apollyon then turned back towards her Samurai foe, taking a deep breath.

Apollyon: "My allies have arrived, young warrior. You should know that you and your people are doomed!"

???: "My people may be doomed here, but I won't die until I've driven my blade through your heart!"

The two warriors lunged towards each other, clashing blades. Sparks flew and the ringing of steel sounded off like a violent song. Back and forth they went as the ground cracked and walls crumbled around them.

Apollyon could hear multiple footsteps coming up the staircase that she and her Samurai foe climbed only moments before.

[Moments Ago]

Jürgen coordinated his men, trying to keep his balance atop his tall horse. Weapons, limbs and bodies fell to the ground as the Black Priors nearly cut through the tiring Vikings almost completely. But the Vikings rallied quickly, forming a deep line in front of the Blackstone fortress's entrance.

The Iron Legion began to push full wagons and fallen rubble within the entrances and exits as well, sealing themselves inside while keeping the Black Prior army out. Jürgen growled as he looked towards one of the battlements that hung above the main entrance to the fortress. Stone and Mercy were ordering where fallen debris would be placed in order to block Jürgen and his forces.

Jürgen: "They're all traitors..."

Jürgen held his reigns with a death grip as a Black Prior commander rode up next to him. The commander nodded down towards the rallying enemy below.

???: "My Lord, do we continue the attack or dig in for a siege?"

Jürgen heard the man's words, thinking for a moment as he traced his eyes across the battlements of the fortress. The Vikings and Samurai were already murdering each other outside now, and the Iron Legion sealed themselves inside the fortress. But, Apollyon was still within the walls of the fortress as well, probably surrounded by the Iron Legion.

Jürgen: "Pull the bulk of our forces back, but keep some small skirmishes going. We need these bastards distracted while I try to find a way inside"

The commander looked to Jürgen in surprise.

???: "S-Sir? Are you sure about going in there by yourself?"

Jürgen nodded, checking the sword that clung to his back for a moment before looking at Mercy and Stone again. The commander could see anger begin to build in his eyes.

Jürgen: "Positive"

Elias and Sarah sprinted up a set of chiseled stone steps. On their way up the pair encountered numerous groups of rallying Blackstone men and Samurai. They also had to avoid portions of the inner fortress that had been fully caught on fire. Eventually they came to a room that had been blown apart, only the floor remaining somewhat intact. Swords clashed and sparks flew. Coming quickly into vision was an Orochi.

He was sent back with a forceful attack by Apollyon. Sarah rushed to the Samurai as Elias sprung into action. The golden Centurion shoved Apollyon away from Sarah who helped the Samurai to his feet.

???: "Thank you!"

Sarah only nodded before watching Apollyon grab Elias by the neck and throw him across the room. Elias fell to one knee and stopped himself with his hands and left foot.

Apollyon: "I see you have friends! More blood to spill then!"

Elias raised his Gladius with one hand and stuck the other out in a defensive way.

Elias: "Your day has come, witch!"

Apollyon only chuckled as she raised her blade for battle once more. Sarah stood next to her brother. She had slipped her helmet on after helping the small Orochi.

Apollyon: "You and your peoples will die for nothing!"

The warlord knight lunged towards the three soldiers, blocking their defensive strikes and pushing them apart. Her clawed right had crabbed a piece of Elias's cape and pulled him towards her. Elias quickly turned his body and swung towards Apollyon's face. Apollyon let go and ducked beneath the attack before pulling herself away. Elias grabbed the small buckles that kept his cape to his shoulders and undid them. His red cape fell to the ground as he pushed towards the warlord knight.

Sarah: "Elias! We have to do this together!"

The young Centurion ignored his sisters words, focusing on the enemy before him. Apollyon parried a downward strike from Elias and prepared to drive her blade through his neck. Sarah intervened and crossed her sword with Apollyon's. The Emperor's Champion swept into the edges of Apollyon's vision, taking a cut at the warlord knight's right leg.

Sarah: "Together! Now!"

Apollyon winced in pain as the Samurai's blade cut through the thin steel protection and into her flesh. Elias regained his guard and grabbed Apollyon by the shoulder, taking advantage of her sudden stagger. The young Centurion brandished his Gladius, using the bottom of it's hilt and hitting Apollyon in the faceplate twice.

Sarah had pulled her locked sword away, watching as Elias kicked Apollyon away. The Orochi snaked his way to the back of Apollyon and jumped onto her exposed back. The warlord knight grabbed the Orochi's arm before he could bring down a decisive blow. Apollyon threw the Samurai to the ground, just before her feet. She then stomped a heavy foot into the Orochi's stomach.

The young Samurai yelled in pain as he rolled himself away, grabbing for his stomach. Elias and Sarah ran at the same time, Elias from the front and Sarah from behind. Apollyon waited until the last second to move, taking a
Jump to the side at the perfect moment. Elias and Sarah narrowly missed each other, stumbling.

They both caught themselves before turning back to their enemy. Apollyon laughed as Sarah turned to the warlord knight with anger.

Apollyon: "A lucky blow that you fools struck! But it will be your last!"

Jürgen stumbled into a crumbling room that was nearly covered in fire. Bodies of Iron Legion knights littered the ground. Jürgen looked around the room, trying to find his mother until his eyes came upon an open doorway. Jürgen followed the path upwards and continued up a flight of stairs. At the top he could see an iron gate that had been broken away from place by a catapult. From where he stood he could hear voices and clashing blades.

The young knight scaled the steps as quickly as he could. And as he reached the top, Jürgen could see his mother. Apollyon swiftly parried the attack of another knight wielding a longsword.

Jürgen: "Mother!"

Apollyon turned and saw her son.

Apollyon: "Jürgen! Help me defeat these pests!"

The warlord knight's son nodded, taking his longsword and pushing inside the crumbling area. Apollyon regrouped herself next to Jürgen. Sarah, Elias and the Emperor's Champion stood together, looking at the pair of knights before them.

Elias: "Okay, let's work together now"

Sarah watched Apollyon stand next to the Black Prior knight.

Sarah: "What did she call him?"

Elias shook his head, readying himself like the Orochi.

Elias: "Doesn't matter who that fool is! Let's take them out!"

The Orochi nodded, spinning the katana in his right hand to build momentum for his next attack.

???: "Agreed, we must focus on the threat! Not their name!"

The allied warriors charged Jürgen and Apollyon, who readied themselves for inevitable frenzy of attacks. Before any blades could clash however, Apollyon spoke lowly to Jürgen.

Apollyon: "Steel yourself, Jürgen. Let your true strength show. Let these betrayers to our kind know the importance of our mission"

Jürgen's breaths were deep and hateful, with his eyes flashing different tones of orange in the process. The man's weakened body pulsed with strength as he focused his anger. Elias led the trio of united warriors, taking a quick jab towards Apollyon while Sarah charged Jürgen.

Apollyon swiftly blocked the centurion's attack and retaliated with a quick shove with her shoulder, creating distance between the two. Similar to her brother, Sarah took a swift approach and took a quick horizontal slash towards Jürgen's chest. The black armored knight narrowly avoided the attack by moving a step backwards. Jürgen made an almost immediate response with a diagonal slash of his own, managing to land a blow to Sarah's right shoulder.

A handful of sparks flew as the heavy blade of Jürgen's sword slashed across steel armor. Jürgen's aching body warned his mind to stop fighting, cramping the muscles in his right arm as he prepared for another attack. Sarah took the moment to slide to Jürgen's left and cut deep into his left thigh. Her sword sliced itself through chainmail and plating, sending a wave of pain through Jürgen as he yelled in pain and fell to one knee.

Apollyon heard her son and quickly moved to him, fending off the Orochi and Elias. Sarah slid to her feet and placed a pained hand on her shoulder. Jürgen had landed a heavy blow, with blood ever slowly seeping through the blunt cut to Sarah's shoulder plating.

Apollyon grabbed Jürgen by the arm and forced him to his feet. Jürgen grit his teeth as he stood, using his sword as a crutch before putting any weight on his severely injured leg.

Apollyon: "Jürgen! Are you okay?"

Jürgen nodded, taking a few deep breaths before responding.

Jürgen: "I've cheated death once and have felt worse. I will be okay"

Apollyon nodded as she turned her back to Jürgen, eyeing Sarah as she held her longsword with one hand. The mother and her son stood back-to-back as Elias and the Orochi attacked Jürgen. As the five warriors fought on, Holden Cross appeared from above, standing at the top of a badly damaged battlement. He saw Jürgen fighting his siblings alongside his mother.

Holden lowered his eyes as he noticed Jürgen's condition began to worsen. He stopped using his left leg for movement, nearly staying in a single spot as Elias and the Orochi ally threw a flurry of attacks. Apollyon managed to send Sarah into the wall behind her in a bleeding mess. Her injured arm was now limp and covered in trails of thick blood. Her helmet had also been discarded, with a bloody gash spotting her hairline.

Apollyon turned to her son, seeing as he was sent to one knee once more. Elias had been pushed away by Jürgen, but the Orochi was still able to attack. The Samurai thrusted forward with his katana with precision, sending a killing blow straight to Jürgen's heart.

Apollyon: "Jürgen!"

Jürgen turned his head to the Orochi, where his body was covered in a mere second. Now standing before him was his mother, idle and silent. Jürgen faced his mother's eyes, where he noticed the sharpened end of the Orochi's blade piercing the center of her abdomen. Apollyon's blood poured to the ground as the Orochi pulled his blade away.

The world fell to a slow pace as Jürgen watched his mother stumble backwards, hitting her back against a crumbling stone rail and overlooked the battlefield outside. Elias approached Jürgen, preparing to finish the man that was unknowingly his brother. But the Orochi stopped him, holding out an arm across his chest. The Samurai looked to Apollyon and spoke with a sense of fulfilled duty.

???: "It's over! We will have peace..."

Apollyon waited a second before chuckling.

Apollyon: "Peace?"

The warlord knight took a quick glance to the battlefield.

Apollyon: "Do you believe... that you all with just go h-home?"

Apollyon stumbled towards the Orochi and Elias as Jürgen attempted to stand. Though Apollyon quickly turned back to the railing and threw her sword down to the battlefield below. It's blade stuck into the ground between a force of Blackstone's and Samurai.

Apollyon: "You came into my land, my home... and you brought your armies..."

Coming between the Blackstones and the Samurai was a force of Iron Legion knights. The trio of fighting forces prepared for another battle. Jürgen began to drag himself to his mother, with a trial of dark crimson blood following behind him.

Apollyon: "And what did you think would happen?"

Apollyon's voice then became bitter as she could taste blood within her mouth.

Apollyon: "Peace?"

The warlord knight turned back to the trio of warriors who apposed her and Jürgen. From the distance a Viking war-horn echoed through the air as Black Priors pushed the Vikings into the burning fortress.

Apollyon: "That isn't how our world works..."

The Knights and Samurai that had prepared for battle attacked at once. Bodies and limbs fell to the dirt as the Vikings joined in on the slaughter.

Apollyon: "Do not speak to me of your virtues..."

The crumbling fortress rumbled as debris fell around the warriors below.

Apollyon: "Duty... kinship... honor..."

The knight placed a bloodied hand onto her wound, staring the Orochi in the eyes.

Apollyon: "You all have forgotten what you are!"

The Orochi thought for only a moment.

???: "You only wanted chaos... and war..."

Apollyon let out a pained laugh as blood trailed from the ends of her lips.

Apollyon: "I only wanted you all to see the world as I do... to realize what you all could become..."

Jürgen stopped dragging himself as Apollyon fell to her knees before him, holding out a weakened hand as she looked to him. Her voice was weak and trailed off.

Apollyon: "You people could have been better... you could have been my... Wolves..."

The knight fell silent and tipped to her side, falling onto her back before Jürgen. Silence fell upon the now four living warriors. Jürgen's mind was shocked beyond belief. His emotions raised as he reached for his mothers cold and limp hand.

The Orochi grabbed Elias by the shoulder and pushed him to the nearest exit. Sarah was weak but approached quickly behind her brother who ran for the exit. The Orochi felt a dark cloud come over the space. Jürgen's body tensed with rage hot enough to melt the earth. Holden Cross stood in his elevated spot, watching as the Orochi left the scene. Jürgen's eyes welled with tears as he removed his helmet. He dragged himself to his mother's corpse and and removed hers as well. Jürgen pulled Apollyon close and held her tightly. The anger within turned to unbelievable sorrow.

Jürgen: "Mother..."

Apollyon's lightened blonde hair was stained with blood from Jürgen's hands, and her eyes were left a pale blueish grey. Holden left his place the moment he saw Black Priors approach the open area. They stood in shocked silence as their leader sat on the ground, bleeding and sobbing. The sorrow in Jürgen turned to building anger as her closed his mothers eyes.

Jürgen: "I will make them all pay..."

His heart pounded into his ears and Jürgen's head felt light.

Jürgen: "Every last one of them..."

Jürgen fell back as he lost his grip on his mother's body. The Black Priors rushed to Jürgen and lifted him up, dragging him away. Jürgen tried to fight his men away and stay by his mother's side. But his weakened state did not allow him the strength to do so. His vision fell to darkness as Jürgen's hearing fell to distant echoes of shouts. His body felt cold, but responsive.

Nine

Months

Later

Erzebet screamed in pain as the nurses within the room began to deliver the baby. Jürgen stood at his wife's side, holding her hand that had nearly broken his out of pain. A few moments passed before Erzebet's pain began to subside. Suddenly the cries of a child filled the room and halls. The child passed through the hands of multiple nurses who agreed that the baby was in good health. The baby was then handed to Erzebet, who held them tight and placed a careful hand on the side of their head.

Her eyes welled with tears as Jürgen moved in closer to see his child. The youngest nurse spoke as the baby began to fuss once again.

???: "The baby is a girl, my lady"

Erzebet nodded and turned to Jürgen, who looked his green eyed daughter in the eyes.

Erzebet: "I have a perfect name, Jürgen"

Jürgen looked to his wife.

Jürgen: "What is it?"

The baby began to cry again as Erzebet grinned and slowly stroked the back of their head.

Erzebet: "Samantha. After my mother"

Before Jürgen could make his response, the bedroom door flew open as an officer stood in the doorway, fully kitted in his armor.

Jürgen: "What are you doing?!"

The officer bowed his head.

???: "Terribly sorry my lord, but our scouts have reported another sighting of the traitors you told them to find. They are right where you said they'd be"

Jürgen growled for a moment. His lust for revenge against those who turned against him and his mother was strong. But this moment was too great to just run away from.

Jürgen: "It can wait. My daughter was just born"

The officer bowed his head again and closed the door, but not before letting all but two nurses out. The ones that were left swaddled the baby in clothes and cleaned the the sheets of the bed. Erzebet placed a tired hand onto Jürgen's scarred and stubbled cheek.

Erzebet: "I love you..."

Jürgen gave a soft smile as he grabbed Erzebet's hand and kissed it's palm.

Jürgen: "I love you too"

Far off into a distance part of Valkenheim stood a cold and weathered fortress. Within it sat a woman upon a throne of gold and stone. The woman held Apollyon's helmet within her hands and spoke in a low voice.

Astrea: "I will continue your legacy, mother..."

The doors to the throne room opened, with a pair of towering dark armored Lawbringers entering with someone in chains.

???: "Master, we have found a traitor who turned against Apollyon"

The man was thrown to the ground. His frame was bruised and beaten.

Astrea: "You go by the name of Stone, yes?"

The beaten man stayed silent. But Astrea knew the answer. She approached the broken knight and placed her mother's helmet onto the seat of her throne. Astrea grabbed Stone by the back of the head and pulled back his hair. Dried blood trailed down from his nostrils.

Astrea: "Starting with you, I will purge the traitors who went against my mother. The I will eradicate everything and everyone who ever cared about you"

The woman extended the claws that had been applied to her gauntlets and stabbed them into Stone's throat. That knight choked on his own blood as the lawbringers dragged him out of the room. Astrea returned to her throne and picked up Apollyon's helmet. She sat down and held the helmet in one hand.

Astrea: "Let the planning begin"

———

The End

———————————-

Hey all, thanks for reading. To those who made it this far, thank you. This wasn't the easiest story to write, and it definitely had some growing pains with me growing as a writer. Thanks for sticking around for the end. Not sure what I'll do next.

Anyways, have a great day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.7K 1.6K 37
Good soldiers follow orders, but true warriors know what is right. Since the start of civilization, soldiers have been a part of every society. They...
13.5K 434 28
The continuation of the story as it follows the lives of Argen Lorderius (The reader) and the inhabitants of the scarred lands from the Cataclysm, al...
7.3K 306 46
Three years have passed since Blackstone's fateful attack against the Viking stronghold of Svengard. In the following years, Ashfeld has only grown m...
3.7K 518 26
The King of England will stop at nothing to prevent the fulfilment of a prophecy he receives whilst at war in Scotland. Even if that means committing...