Made of Steel

By Clau_Llerena

Cassandra left her fiancé standing at the altar a few minutes before the wedding and left to Italy. Two years... More

Prologue: I'll make you pay
1. I found you
2. The perfect wife
3. Dreaming awake
4. I've made my decision
5. Signs of Destiny
6. Be careful what you wish for
7. Marry me
8. I do
9. Meeting and conditions
10. Past, present and future
11. It's show time
12. Keeping a promise
13. I have the power
14. Wedding
16. Desire
17. Confused
18. The wedding gift
19. Touch the Sky
20. Gift is here
21. Happy New Year
22. Rage
23. You are mine
24. Wife of lies
25. You fell in love with him
26. My wife
27. The witch is here
28. My cross and my new hobby
29: Woman of Steel
30. Surprises
31. Ice Moon
32. The best player
33. Worried
34. Valentine's Day
35. Mommy
36. Mine
37. Crisis
38. Goodbye to witch's curse
39. Asshole Surgeon
40. Ups and downs
41. I'm in trouble
42. I love you
43. Broken Inside
44. We are done
45. Getting rid of the harpy
46. Pregnant and kidnapped
47. Collapse
48. What once united us, no longer exists
49. Anger and Frustration
50. Ours
51. Secrets and accidents
52. Coma
53. My Man of Steel
54. I need her
55. I'm yours
56. Meeting with the enemy
57. Where are you, Adriano?
58. Fear
59. A bedtime story
Epilogue. Made of Steel

15. Unknown Sensations

150 7 0
By Clau_Llerena

Cassandra Reid

Some guests chatter around me, others eat or drink while children run around the garden... except Ella, the girl remains by my side contemplating the stage just like me.

"Are you comfortable, darling?", I inquire letting see a brotherly smile.

I am tense, nervous and I fear that at any moment the bubble will burst in my face. My parents smile along with my now husband's as if they were hosts of the party. It is impossible for me to see them here, satisfied, without recriminations towards me... Then I remember Adriano's words. He accomplished this. Also, Gibson and Juliette Reid find themselves in their natural habitat, surrounded by Italy's elite society.

I return my attention to the little girl, who nods in response, moving her little feet dangling from the chair.

'Why doesn't she hang out with the rest of the kids?'

"Don't you wanna play?", I ask again.

She turns her head to look at me with those pretty eyes alight with excitement. "Do I look for the Wii to show you?"

'The Wii?'

These kids urgently need healthy education and recreation.

"Daddy brought us the new Xbox Series X", she continues excitedly, "it's the best of the year and it brings a lot of games..."

"Ella...", intervenes my husband.

"Yes daddy?", she asks all innocent. It really is a cutie.

The light blue dress highlights her beautiful eyes while white flowers adorn her black hair now turned into curls. She looks like a fairy out of a storybook.

"Go with Grandma."

"It's okay", I intercede in a whisper. I'm not going to counteract the authority of father in front of children. " She doesn't bother me. In fact, her video game lecture is being more entertaining than the rest of the party."

"Does my presence bore you, doctor?". He arches his eyebrows in disbelief.

I'm sure they've given it many adjectives, but never boring. The funny thing is that if it weren't for the knot in my stomach, I would be able to enjoy his company and even strike up a conversation with him.

"Well..."

"Your attention, please". The contracted master of ceremonies appears on the scene and tension in my body increases, knowing what is coming next. "It's time for the bride and husband's first dance."

I suck in a huge breath and let it out slowly before taking my partner's hand and walking to the center of the floor as the guests surround us.

The first chords of a well-known song begin to play and I show a surprised expression on my face. Adriano, on the other hand, doesn't even flinch and proceeds to start the already assembled choreography. As always, he is in control of the situation.

"Ed Sheeran?", I ask at the same time he pushes me forward until our bodies meet, while our faces are only inches apart.

We had rehearsed wedding the day before, including this dance, but not with this music, much less with this... delivery. It seems that the cold Man of Steel has disappeared for the time being.

"I think the song is very attached to our meeting, don't you think?", He explains before turning me around.

"Perfect?". I still can't get out of my stupor. "I was hoping for something more...”. I turn again so my back is to him.

I feel his breath on my neck and I force myself to hold my own so I don't tremble. The burning sensation reappears with the soft touch of our skins and the song's lyrics doesn't help.

'It's not real, Cassie'

'It's not real'

"classic", I end up facing each other once again, "and I'm far from perfect."

"You are for this job", he counters. "You are the perfect bride for me, Cassandra."

"Because I will take care of your children, I will not interfere in your affairs and I will not fall in love with you?". I don't even try to find reasons for my question or the unwarranted desire to know his answer.

"Exactly"

And there's the reality check I needed...

"As long as we respect the clauses of our contract, we will get along very well, doctor."

'This is an agreement, a kind of business... nothing more.'

The song ends and I pass into my father's hands in a matter of seconds.

"You could have chosen a more suitable piece for the first dance", he comments disapprovingly.

I snort automatically while still watching my steps as I dance with him. I make a simple mismatch error and he will throw a bunch of calls at me.

'How far do my father's prejudices go that he even despises modern musical genres?'

I don't have to put up with this. I'm supposed to be free now. I can say what I please without fear of reprimand from him.

"You should tell my husband that", I say with a haughty tone, "he was the one who chose the song. In fact, any opinion you have regarding the wedding, you can make it to him or my mother-in-law, since they were in charge of the ceremony."

"As always, you let others do work for you."

I draw a bitter smile on my face. Gibson Reid is an expert at keeping up appearances... except with me. He has always addressed me frankly, without hesitation or any delicacy. In my presence he has a hard time pretending.

"Yes, I did", I admit. "I guess dealing with my parents's indifference was too much for me."

"Everyone reaps what they sow, Cassandra."

The music ends and I stand in front of him, staring at him. If it weren't for the physical resemblance, I would question being his daughter.

"I couldn't agree more, Dad."

I spend next hour from hand to hand, and with each dance I feel more overwhelmed to the point where it's hard to breathe.

My new kids are coming over and I get a break from having fun with them on the track without worrying about rest of the world.

"It's been a pleasure dancing with you youngsters", I say with one of my charming smiles.

I will make my decision worthwhile... at least for them. I just have to adjust to my new reality.

The moment to cut the cake arrives and this time I can't contain the shudder as we unite our hands into one. Then I am forced to pose for photos.

His fingers brush my bare back in a light caress before he cups my waist. My chest is beating wildly and it's hard to breathe. I feel every muscle in my body go stiff as a board. With just a few days to Christmas, I'm stifling hot.

I turn my head and meet those blue eyes that I met in dreams. What's happening to me? Until yesterday I felt comfortable by his side without these unknown sensations. What has changed?

His mouth moves dangerously close to mine until they join in a brief kiss that ignites the fire inside me.

He slowly withdraws while I remain static in the same position.

"Perfect", the photographer murmurs, capturing the scene.

I'm starting to hate that word.

"Everything okay, dear?". His question sounds a bit forced and then I react. My face must not look very pretty right now.

"Yes", I fake my best smile when answering, "I just need some air."

I get a slight nod before I walk away. As soon as I take a little distance, the cold returns to me in a rush.

I stop in front of the miniature golf course to contemplate the garden. They have decorated it in a Christmas theme and it looks beautiful, but not even the scenery manages to distract me.

I'm starting to feel an attraction to my new husband and something tells me that can't be good.

"I mustn't mix things up", I think out loud. "I must be more practical."

"I agree", I recognize Carina Fabri's voice behind me. "A drink?"

"Thank you", I accept with a forced smile. I don't like her, but I'm obliged to treat her. The Fabris are friends of Di Lauro family, especially her, since she also works with Adriano.

"It's rare to see a bride running away from her own celebration", she comments right off the bat, "but well, given your history it's not strange at all."

"Excuse me?", I exclaim with a frown. What does she know about me?

"Over time you get used to this", she continues. "Being Adriano Di Lauro's wife is not an easy task. Just last night, just a few hours before your wedding, we were in the office 'working'”. She uses a sarcastic tone on the last word. "Adriano is a very busy man, you will have to learn to share his time with the rest of the world."

'What the hell?'

'Does she have a thing for Italian?'

I hold my breath and adopt the hypocritical attitude my mother taught me.

"I appreciate your words, dear, but my husband and I have everything under control. He can have all the work in the world, yet, he will always have time for me and our kids."

"I'm glad to hear that."

'No, you are not', my inner self replies.

"I wish you luck."

"Thank you very much, although I don't think I need it. Luck is already on my side. After all, I've married the most eligible bachelor in Italy”. Her face hardens at my statement. Only I have managed to catch it and I do not intend to share it or let it go. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go. Like you said, I can't miss my own party."

I live her with word on her mouth and I left without losing my smile. I reach my husband, I hug him by the shoulders and without warning, I stamp my lips against his. This time it is not a touch, I urge him to continue opening my mouth to give way to his tongue. It's a kiss charged with longing, anger, and... desire.

"What's wrong, Cassandra?", he scrutinizes my face closely as I try to catch my breath and at the same time contain my fury.

"Smile" I suggest, since we're the center of attention. "Can we talk in private?"

"Sure."
.
Hand in hand we headed into the house until we reached his office. This room is beginning to displease me.

I rush in and urge him to close the door so I can face him.

"You will say."

"Is Carina Fabri your lover?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Enemy To Lover By toto

General Fiction

446 25 16
lisa a 24 year young women who made herself ugly for world went to an interview where she met her rival of high school Adrian as her boss, but for av...
80.2K 2.8K 20
He is handsome and hot. She is pretty and cute. He is a billionaire. She is an orphan. He is arrogant, rude, jerk. She is humble and funny. He is the...
13.8K 396 58
3 lives interconnected together. One side has a childhood crush, while the other two are madly in love. When a turn of events takes place hearts are...
18.6M 527K 72
Previously known as Married to my sister's fiancé "Are you......Emily Jones? The biological daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jones?" The lawyer asked and I n...