Forest Lake

By SophiaAria

Emma is an 18-year-old girl who lives with her mom and stepfather. She was sent to a boarding school when her... More

Introduction
Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Update
Chapter 70

Chapter 23

8.2K 244 38
By SophiaAria

Emma POV

“You will never believe the things I found out.” Chris said as he sat down at the table.

It was Friday, and we were eating lunch. I was more than ready for the week to end. This one was beyond exhausting. From talking to Mason, dealing with everything we found out about our parents, to constantly being reminded that there is a killer on the loose, the only thing I wanted to do was hide under my blanket and read a book. Or watch a movie. Or sleep.

“Spit it out.” Jax said as he took a sip of his water.

“First, there is going to be a party tonight.” Chris said quietly. “Apparently, some college kids are organizing something in the middle of the forest.”

“Are they insane?” Hazel sighed, rolling her eyes.

“Haven’t they watched a horror movie before?” I said at the same time. “There is a scene just like that in every horror movie I’ve watched.”

My friends laughed. Chris smiled and placed an arm behind my back, over the chair I was sitting on. The temperature in my body rose and my heartbeat picked up. Shit.

“Where is the party?” Mason asked, grabbing the last piece of pizza from his plate.

He didn’t see Chris’ arm, and I think it’s a good thing. He would probably freak out. He’s been glaring at Chris a lot for the past few days.

“We will get a text when they decide on a location.” Chris said quietly.

“How the hell are they coming to the island?” Jax asked, furrowing his eyebrows. “The cops are checking everyone that boards the ferryboat, and they are only letting teachers, students, and announced visitors. I had to inform the principal that Cassie would come this weekend.”

“I’m not sure.” Chris shrugged. “They probably have their own boats.”

“They are going to get caught.” Mason snorted. “There won’t be a party.”

“But you are not going, right?” Hazel asked worriedly, glancing at Jax. “Even if they don’t get caught and the party does happen, you won’t go?”

No matter how much they fought, I could tell that they liked each other. I didn’t get a chance to talk to Hazel alone about it. Mason was always around, and I knew that Hazel would never say anything in front of Mason. Maybe she wouldn’t say anything to me even if we were alone. We connected and bonded immediately, but we didn’t really know each other that well yet.

“Of course not.” Mason said. “I’m not leaving Emma and I’m definitely not bringing her to a fucking forest while that freak is out there.”

I was relieved. That guy may have it out for the girls, but he could hurt anyone if they tried to interfere. He could hurt Mason. I can't let him hurt Mason.

“Don’t worry, Elly.” Jax said, placing an arm over Hazel’s shoulders. “I’m not going to leave you.”

Hazel rolled her eyes and moved his arm, but I could see that she was relieved as well.

“Was there anything else you found out?” Mason asked, looking up at Chris.

Mason’s eyes snapped over to Chris’ arm behind my back. He narrowed his eyes, and Chris moved his arm immediately.

Chris cleared his throat and ran a hand through his hair. The sight made funny things happen inside my belly. I crossed my arms over my chest, trying to focus on something else rather than Chris’ messy hair that fit him so well.

Shit.

Chris leaned forward and looked around. I followed his gaze to the cops standing near the door.

“Well, the eye color wasn’t the only thing that connected these girls.” Chris said quietly. “They had the same hair color, and they were built similarly. Also, the police asked a lot about their friends and who they were hanging out with.”

“That’s understandable.” Mason mumbled. “Do they think it’s a student?”

Chris shrugged.

“Annie has brown hair.” Hazel mumbled, looking at me. “Like Emma.”

Mason wrapped his arms around me immediately. Chris and Jax looked at me worriedly.

“Brown hair is common, guys, come on.” I said softly. “It doesn’t have to mean anything.”

“Was there anything else, Chris?” Jax asked, looking away from me.

“Apparently, the cops are asking about a dress.” Chris said. “One of Annie’s friends said that the cops asked her if Annie ever wore a white dress and if anyone ever complimented her on it.”

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

“Wasn’t the first girl found in a white dress?” Hazel asked quietly.

Chris nodded.

“That is just creepy.” Jax mumbled. “The fucker put a white dress on a dead girl, and he has a specific target who he refers to as his doll. The guy is a total freak.”

Mason tightened his grip on me. “We need to keep the girls safe.”

“Of course we will.” Jax said as he wrapped his arm around Hazel’s shoulders. “Nothing will happen to them, Mase.”

“I don’t think that I am in danger.” Hazel said, eyeing me worriedly. “Emma fits the description better than I do. She has blue eyes and brown hair. When I think about it, she is built similarly to Daisy and Annie. They are short and small, just like Emma.”

Mason clenched his fists and tightened his jaw. Chris sighed. Jax looked worried.

“I am not the only short girl with blue eyes and brown hair.” I sighed.

“No.” Mason said coldly. “But if the fucker wants to take someone again and he prefers short girls with blue eyes and brown hair, then you could be a target. And I am not letting that happen.”

“I know that, Mason.” I said softly, rubbing his arm. “I just don’t want you to worry too much.”

“That’s not happening.” Jax snorted. “He will always worry too much. I know that because I am the same with Cassie. It’s not something that we can control.”

“Especially now when I just got you back.” Mason mumbled. “I am not losing you again.”

“You won’t.” I smiled at him. “You are kind of stuck with me.”

“Thank God.” Mason smiled, kissing my temple.

“Speaking of being stuck with an annoying little sister, Cassie is coming tomorrow at 9 am.” Jax said.

“I am going to tell her you said that.” Mason smirked.

“Go ahead.” Jax rolled his eyes. “I tell her that she is annoying every day. It won’t be news to her.”

“How did you convince your mom to let her come?” Hazel asked Jax.

I noticed that Jax’s arm was still wrapped around her shoulders. She didn’t move it, like she did before.

“I didn’t.” Jax sighed. “Cassie did. She said that she wouldn’t leave my room at any point. My mom made me promise that I wouldn’t let her out no matter what, not even to eat. I have to bring the food to her. Little devil will enjoy that, I don’t doubt it.”

Mason and Chris laughed.

“Oh, I can’t wait to see that.” Chris said, shaking his head and smirking.

“So we are staying in our room over the weekend?” Mason asked.

“Yes.” Jax nodded. “We will be watching movies and playing games. I’m not letting Cassie go outside.”

“Will you be bringing us food as well?” Mason asked him, smirking.

Jax shot him a glare and threw a bottle cap on Mason. He dodged it, laughing.

“Does that mean that Emma and I could finally have our room to ourselves?” Hazel asked, looking from Mason to Jax.

I hoped that Mason would say yes. I love him and I love spending time with him, but I could use an hour or two for myself.

“Of course not.” Mason said sternly. “You will be with us the whole time. I am not leaving Emma alone. You shouldn’t be alone either, Hazel. Was I not clear the first twenty times I said it?”

“I didn’t mean the whole time.” Hazel sighed, rolling her eyes. “But an hour or two to shower and relax without you waiting in the room would be nice.”

“Not happening.” Mason said stubbornly. “An hour or two is more than enough for that sick fuck to take you. I am not risking it.”

“Are all brothers like that?” Hazel sighed, looking at Jax.

“Yes.” Jax nodded immediately.

“Especially in situations like this one.” Chris added. “I don’t have a sister, but if I did, I would do the same. Mason is right. You can’t be alone right now. Not until that fucker is caught.”

I understood them completely. If the boys were the ones being attacked, I would never let Mason out of my sight. Not even for a minute. I still wanted just a few hours for myself, though. But I would never ask Mason to give that to me. I knew that he would spend that time worrying and that it would be hard for him. I was sure that the police would catch the guy soon, and then Mason would be able to relax.

“We should go back to class.” Mason said, placing his plate on the tray.

We cleaned our table and left the dining hall.

There were only a few more classes left until this day and this week was over.

I was ready for two days of nothing but movies and cozy clothes. I was excited to meet Cassie as well. I hoped that she would like me and that she wouldn’t be too upset about not being the only girl in Mason’s life anymore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Find me By Sophia Aria

General Fiction

399K 13.5K 65
Aria is a 17-year-old girl who lives with her mom and dad. Her life was never easy. She always had to follow the strict rules, and if she didn't, her...
1.2K 104 16
Mason and Maya, the inseparable twins, had a childhood filled with laughter and shared dreams. They were not just close; they were each other's confi...
9.5K 474 10
What would you do if you came across a random little girl who claimed to be your little sister? Experience this brief but wholesome story told by a r...
30.3K 597 40
Mason is a gang leader that is only 20. Emma is a 17 year old girl who is very kind and down to earth, but she is a badass who is very strong, Emma l...