The Maze Runner Brothers

By RubyRoundhouse17

Thomas and Edward are sent up into the maze together, unable to remember anything apart from their names and... More

Cast
Entering the Maze
Welcome to the Glade
We're Brothers!
Ben's Banishment
Into the Maze
A Night in the Maze
The First Girl
The Clue inside the Griever
The Girl Teresa
A Night in the Pit
A Possible Way Out
The Brother's Adventures in the Maze
Alby Remembers
Attack on the Glade
Regaining Memories
The Ultimate Decision
The Fight to Freedom
The Flare / Gally's Death
Edward
Two Young Boys
The Strange Compound
Something Stranger
Finding Answers
Escaping
The Mall of Cranks
Ruins and Memories
The Lightning Storm
A Bargain and an Attack
Bridges and Tunnels
Another Chase, Another Group
Sweet Moments
The Crank City
Rescues
The Right Arm
Reunions, then Attacks
WICKED Wins!
Hope
Amelia
Jerry
Stephen Sr.
Danielle
The Non-Immunes
Love and Comfort
The Last City
Reunions
The Father's Box
Goodbye Grievers
Sneaking into the City
The Plan: Teresa
Reunited at Last
Is it too Late?
City Chase
Final Words from Father to Sons
The Final Showdown
The Safe Haven

Sneaking into WICKED

156 5 1
By RubyRoundhouse17

The bag was pulled from Teresa's head and her gag was undone. She breathed heavily, finding herself sitting in a seat surrounded by mean men and her former friends. She saw Edward eying her interrogatively from a seat, Chuck standing behind him and Gally beside him.

"Gally?" she breathed. "How? How did you..."

Gally silenced her with his hand. "Here's how this is gonna go. We're gonna ask you some questions. And you're gonna tell us what we need to know. We'll start off simple. Where's Thomas?" he pulled out a seat.

"You...you guys don't seriously think..." Teresa tried looking at Edward but Gally slammed his chair in front of him.

"Don't look at him," Gally spat. "Why are you looking at him? Look at me. He's not gonna help you. Not after what you did to his brother," Teresa eyed Edward again and saw only unforgiveness. "Now we know you have Thomas and the others in the building. Where?"

Teresa closed her eyes and hesitated. But she gave in. "Thomas and the others in the holding. So is Jorge. Sublevel 3,"

"How many others?" Amelia demanded.

"Twenty-eight,"

Edward and Gally glanced over at Brenda at a table. "I can make that work," she said.

"What about my brother?" Sonya demanded.

Teresa sighed; a little sadly. "He's been taken,"

"Taken where?" demanded Minho.

"To the Crank Palace,"

"Why would he be.." Edward paused, horror filling his heart. The others shared nervous glances. They had forgotten to tell Edward that Newt wasn't immune. "He's not immune," he realised. Teresa nodded despondently. "Where is it?" he demanded.

"On the outskirts of the city," she answered.

"We'll have to split up then," he said. "Some of us will need to go to the Crank palace while the rest of us go to the building,"

"No, you guys don't understand. The whole level's restricted. You can't get in without a thumbprint ID,"

"That's why you're gonna come with us," said Edward crossing his arms.

"Well, I don't know. We don't necessarily need her," Gally stood up. "Right? Not all of her," he turned around and picked up a surgery tool. "We just need her finger,"

"Gally, back off,"

"What, are you squeamish? I guarantee you she's done a lot worse to your brother," he pointed the sharp tool at her menacingly.

"She's coming with us so there's no point cutting her finger off," Edward took the tool from her.

"It won't make a difference. Do whatever you want to me," Teresa dared. "You still won't get through the front door. The sensors will pick you up,"

"We know. We're tagged. Property of WICKED," Edward marched in front of her. "You gonna get everyone's tags out," he pointed it at her. "You'd better not get up to anything,"

Teresa got to work with pulling all the little tag implants out of everyone's necks, making them bleed. When it was Chuck's turn, Edward held on to his hand as he cringed in pain. He then sheltered him away from Teresa once he was done. As she did Gally's, Vince pulled out a map of the city which Lawrence had sketched out during his scouting expeditions. "So, if Teresa is right...the Crank Palace should be here," he pointed to a giant restricted area on the far side of the city,"

"It's surrounded by fences and soldiers," warned Lawrence. "Inside, it's a thousand times worse,"

"I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get my brother back," swore Sonya.

"I should come with you," said Edward.

"No Ed. Your brother needs you. You must go and free him," she said.

I'll go with her," voted Harriet.

"So will I," said Lawrence. "I've snuck in there once. So, I know the most likely places where Newt will be,"

Edward knew they needed someone else to go. He turned to Aris. "Aris, you should go with them,"

"But I want to help you," he said. "You've always been by my side. I'm not gonna leave you now,"

"Aris, they need you more than I do. I'll be fine. Once we get Thomas and the others out, we'll pick you up in the jeep and inject Newt with all the serum we get our hands on,"

Aris hesitated. "Okay," he accepted. "Just be careful,"

"So how are we gonna get the others out of the building?" Brenda asked.

"There's a bus station right?" asked Edward to Lawrence.

"Yes. Everything my men collected over the years is true and accurate,"

"We get the immunes out. Then we drive them away,"

"And what about the jeeps that'll chase us?" a man asked.

"That's where my men come in," said Lawrence. "We've collected a ton of dynamite,"

Edward's lips parted. "You mean you're goanna..."

"Blow the wall?" he finished. "Absolutely. All these people angered at being trapped outside the city will vent all their anger out. They'll give us time to slip away from all the children,"

"But what about the people in the city? Many of them are innocent," Edward was not one to put innocent lives at risk.

"Those people allowed WICKED to take control of its resources and use them to hurt people,"

"But they might not know what WICKED is actually doing," Edward tried to say. "If we allow all these people outside the wall to invade the city, how does that make us any different from WICKED?"

"There is a way," Chuck said. "We need to expose WICKED for creating the Flare,"

Edward clapped his hands. "Of course. If we expose what Paige forced my father to do, we can take away her true power,"

"And undermine this entire operation," Brenda finished.

"Yes!" they high-fived and Edward high-fived Chuck, giving him a tight hug. "You clever Chuckie. What would we do without you?"

Teresa, having overheard the conversation felt her heart tying itself into a tight knot that she could not loosen with her conflicted mind.

"Uh...hate to ruin this moment but how are we supposed to do that?" Minho asked. "It's not like we can broadcast it and speak to the entire city,"

"Actually..." Lawrence spoke up again. "We can. WICKED has a radio station in that building. Some of us just need to sneak inside it and Edward..." he glanced firmly at him. "It has to be you,"

"It has to be both me and Thomas," he answered back firmly. "I will not do this without him. He needs me and I will not abandon him,"

"We need both of you," said Amelia. "This entire resistance doesn't work without you two. And you two need us. We'll do this together,"

"She's right Ed," Brenda clasped his shoulder. "We'll follow you anywhere,"

"That's right Greenie," said a proud Gally across the table as he joined the group. "Whatever you plan, we'll do it,"

Edward eyed all his friends who glanced at him with true admiration. Then he shot a side glance at Brenda who looked more proud of him than ever. He addressed them all again, words of wisdom and his father's intelligence swirling within them. "Here's what we're gonna do," The Right Arm members brought black coats, masks, and WICKED guns that Lawrence's men had smuggled from their scout trips. The boys and men got dressed and Vince and Lawrence made some discussions about how the wall explosion was going to plan out.

Sitting on a chair holding his father's box, Edward heard them talk. He cocked his head over to the side and he saw a face of courage painted on Lawrence's face whilst Vince's was scared and hesitant. What was Lawrence going to do if Vince wasn't agreeing with them? His instincts told him that it meant for this entire plan someone would have to die. He became scared.

"You know revealing the truth won't change anything," It was Teresa.

Edward flicked his head and saw a wary Teresa staring at him. She had finished her job. He frowned.

"WICKED will not stop until a cure is made until they have that," she pointed at the box. Edward cradled it protectively.

"You're not getting your hands on it," he stood up and turned his back.

"Ed, if you would check let me look at it. There's something about you and Thomas that WICKED doesn't understand," Edward tried to walk away but she was grabbed by both arms by Gally. "Why aren't you listening to me?" she begged.

Edward turned to her in a flash with an angry expression. "You really expect me to?" he spat unforgivably, silencing her. "You lied to me. You used me. And you took my brother from me,". Seeing the wet surface shimmering in her eyes, Teresa felt true guilt for the first time since her betrayal. He leaned his face further into hers making her back away an inch. "Which is the one thing I will never, ever forgive you for," he turned away and stalked off. Gally pulled Teresa away.

Edward walked over to a table to put on his black suit. He saw a knapsack and placed his father's box inside it. Just hold on a little longer Thomas. I'm coming. He pulled his coat on. He noticed Brenda approaching him, all dressed up herself with a walkie-talkie attached to her belt. "All ready?" he asked. She nodded. But she looked nervous. "I know you can do this Brenda,"

"Don't worry about me. Just promise me you'll get Jorge out,"

"I will," Edward promised. "I'll send him to you with the children,"

Brenda went into deep thought for a while, pursing her lips. "I should come with you,"

"Don't worry about me, Brenda. Our friends are more important. You just focus on getting them away once we free them. And we'll find you guys in time,"

"You're important too. To all of us...to..." Brenda felt her insides squeeze in on each other. She felt like she was going to be sick but she threw up the last word from her mouth. "...me..."

Edward felt his heart beating tenderly hearing her say that. "Don't worry about me. I'll be all right,"

"You know your parents would be proud of you right now,"

"So would yours," Edward added in. "And I know George is too,"

Brenda tearfully smiled remembering them.

Chained to a chair, Teresa observed them, mixed feelings of envy and despair colouring her face. She closed her eyes and sank into the darkness of her actions.

Edward stepped a little closer. "Brenda...there's something I need to tell you,"

"I know," she said quickly, not breaking eye contact with her. Edward stared at her, blankly. "I had the answer when you destroyed those monsters,"

Edward closed his eyes in pain. "Brenda, I am so, so, so sorry that I created those things that killed your brother. But I promise you I never intended them to kill anyone. The moment I learnt about what WICKED had done to them, I tried to..." Brenda threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly. He awkwardly hugged her back, feeling her tears wet his shoulder. "I'm so sorry Brenda. If I could trade my life for his, I would,"

"Please don't apologise. I've accepted his death and you must accept what's past. Don't hold onto it," they stayed in that position for a long while. "Thank you," she pulled away gently and with tearful eyes they smiled.

Aris and his team observed them from their spot with Amelia. Aris smiled. "Would you look at that girls,"

The girls observed the pair. Harriet smiled. "Man, if Thomas was here he wouldn't stop teasing him," Seeing them together made Sonya think about her brother. She knew from her brief encounter with the two together there was a spark between them. Harriet noticed her solemn expression and soothed her shoulder. "Don't worry Sonya. We'll find your brother,"

"We have to. Not just for us. But Thomas too," she clicked her pistol.

Once they were all dressed and prepared, they stood all together at the pothole that would take them into the hole. Edward all dressed in black looked at them all. "This is what we've been preparing for. No matter what happens we will not leave until everyone we love is safe from WICKED. Tonight, we take down WICKED!"

The party cheered and so did all the men. Chuck chanted his name and Thomas's and everyone clapped and applauded.

Once it was settled, all the disguised men and girls with their prisoners began climbing their way into the secret tunnel. As Amelia prepared to go down, Vince looked at her with love and affection. "Don't worry about my dad. I'll be fine,"

Vince pulled her into his arms. "I just want you to know how proud l am of you. I love you, sweetheart,"

"I love you too dad," she slowly let go. After wiping away her tears, she climbed down. Minho was next but he was stopped for a second by her father.

"Look after her," he implored.

Minho nodded.

..................................................................................................................................

In his cell, Jorge sat down, twiddling his fingers nervous about Brenda. He was also scared. He had just heard from the guards outside how Janson had just killed another former scientist of WICKED. Just like Mary. He wondered if he would be next. Just then he heard footsteps. He walked to his cell door window and he saw a sedated Thomas being carried out of his cell door onto a rolling bed with straps. He realised what they were going to do to him. "Hey! Hey!" he shouted, banging against the metal door. Though his voice was muffled by the thick layer of metal, the soldiers could still hear him. "You'll kill him! You'll kill him if you do that!"

The scientist with the soldiers began to consider his thoughts. "Perhaps Paige should reconsider. We've already done some awful testing on this boy. We could kill him,"

A soldier glared at him. "We were given our orders. Are you questioning them?"

The scientist couldn't say anything. Jorge watched the doctors take Thomas away. He feared for the poor teen. If they experimented on him again like this, he was more than likely to die. He couldn't let this happen. He had to find a way out. One way or another. Just then another group of soldiers came and they opened his cell, holding up chains.

"Time to go, old man," a man mocked. "Paige says you're useless now,"

..................................................................................................................................

The party with Teresa made their way through the tunnels with Gally guiding them. Once they made it out of the station, they started walking toward the abandoned buildings which Gally had taken his friends to earlier. There they saw a jeep awaiting them. Lawrence boarded it.

Edward looked at Aris and the girls. "Good luck guys. Whatever happens, be careful," he hugged Aris who hugged him back. Then he hugged Sonya and Harriet. They boarded the car with Lawrence and the man drove them away out of sight.

"Guess this is where I head off next," said Brenda.

Edward clasped her shoulder. "Be careful," he looked down at Chuck. "Promise me you'll stay with her at all times," Chuck nodded. Edward gave them both a tight group hug. "Stay safe,"

As they let go, Brenda reached forward again and kissed his cheek. The moment her lips touched his cheek, his heartbeat accelerated and he felt his face flushing. That feeling that was spiralling like a tornado in his chest made him feel stronger than he had ever felt this night. Seeing their eye contact made Teresa want to turn away but she remained in place. Brenda and Chuck holding hands disappeared into the streets, the faithful short-haired girl taking one last look back at Edward. He smiled out at her. When he tilted his face just to the right a bit, it dropped seeing Gally, Minho and Amelia's goofy grins. "What are you three looking at?"

Amelia gripped the handcuffs around Teresa's hands very strongly that they hurt her skin making her wince a little. "I'm gonna unhandcuff you. Make a single wrong move...and you'll find out I won't be as merciful as Edward is,"

Teresa said nothing nor did she even look at Edward. Amelia undid her arms and together with twenty disguised fugitives including herself, Edward, Gally and Minho, they marched with masked, helmeted faces towards the WICKED building. Teresa stared at Edward's figure walking in front of her with longing and desperation. Gally scoffed at her expression. "Don't give him that look," he scoffed. "You had your chance and you blew it," They came to the front entrance surrounded by large WICKED jeeps and important cars. Edward behind his head cocked his head and the sixteen disguised Right Arm men walked away towards the west of the building where all of WICKED's important war vehicles were loaded. Gally went down another way towards a parking garage. Edward, the other two and Teresa passed through the entrance into the main hall. The scanners awaited them.

Amelia walked through first. No beep. Then she turned around and watched Teresa walk through at a slow pace; she would not take one eye off her. Minho came through. No beep either. And finally, Edward, they were all through without the slightest hint of detection. They walked past some WICKED captains wearing caps. Edward suddenly stopped in front of one who eyed him behind his mask strangely. He just continued. He sighed. He gently shoved Teresa forward. She led them down some stairs towards a level in front of an underground road. Gally appeared through a door.

"All clear around here," he whispered to the group. "But we need to act fast,"

Entering a room with Teresa's thumbprint id, they walked upstairs towards a giant power box which Gally opened. He pulled up his mask and started scramming the wires.

"Throw me the walkie!" requested Edward.

Gally tossed it to him and he pulled up his mask and pressed the device to his ear. "Frypan, what's your status?"

..................................................................................................................................

Frypan stood on a crane with some of the Right Arm men near the building acting as their lookout. "All good. I'll be climbing up to the top soon. Tell Thomas hi for me!"

"Hang in there, buddy!"

..................................................................................................................................

Gally found the right wire. "This should work,"

"Brenda, what's your status?" Edward called.

..................................................................................................................................

In the giant garage where there were hundreds of buses, Brenda and Chuck sneaked around carefully. Chuck stayed close to Brenda as if she were a protective sister.

Hearing Edward's question, Brenda answered, "I'm working on it,"

"Copy. Make sure you and chuck are ready,"

"Don't worry we will," Brenda gently sneaked past some soldiers and chuck dashed over to join her.

..................................................................................................................................

Gally connected the wire to a large hacking device which he magnetically attached to the power box door's inside the frame before closing it. "That should do. Let's go!"

"Well done," Amelia high-fived him.

..................................................................................................................................

Vince sat at a computer with his remaining men. Their laptops blinked and a series of camera recordings appeared. "They've done it," he smiled. "You guys know what to do,"

..................................................................................................................................

Aww, the romance between Edward and Brenda is just blossoming every second. And Teresa is heartbroken. She had her chance and she blew it. I hope you all are enjoying this story. Only about five to six more to go. See you all in the next one. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

It's a girl By R

Fanfiction

36.3K 649 24
Imagine Teresa never came up into the maze after Thomas and Thomas isn't the main character. Imagine the box still came up every month with a differe...
26K 467 46
Y/N was Ava Paige's favorite, everybody knew that. She didn't work with WCKD like her brother Thomas did, she was simply one of their test objects. I...
6.8K 75 13
❝If you ain't scared, you ain't human.❞ Elizabeth woke up in a metal box, no memories, she couldn't even recall how she got there. Arriving at the gl...
2K 24 21
Eight months after The Last City fight, the gladers find their home in the safe haven, safe from WCKD. Everyone had found their mental peace, everyon...