Till Old And Grey ✓

By cupidflakes_8

"Hey, baby?" I smile cheekily, grabbing Shreyan's attention and the girl beside him. He facepalms and looks... More

Character Introduction
Chapter-1|•|
Chapter-2|•|
Chapter-3|•|
Chapter-4|•|
Chapter-5|•|
Chapter-6|•|
Chapter-7|•|
Chapter-8|•|
Chapter-9|•|
Chapter-10|•|
Chapter-11|•|
Chapter-12|•|
Chapter-13|•|
Chapter-14|•|
Chapter-15|•|
Chapter-16|•|
Chapter-17|•|
Chapter-18 |•|
Chapter-19|•|
Chapter-21|•|
Chapter-22|•|
Chapter-23|•|
Chapter-24|•|
Chapter-25 |•|
Chapter-26|•|
Chapter-27|•|
Chapter-28 |•|
Chapter-29|•|
Chapter-30|•|
Chapter-31|•|
Chapter-32|•|
Chapter-33|•|
Chapter-34|•|
Chapter-35|•|
Chapter-36|•|
Chapter-37|•|
Chapter-38|•|
Chapter-39|•|
Chapter-40|•|
Chapter-41|•|
Chapter-42|•|
Chapter-43|•|
Chapter-44|•|
Chapter-45|•|
Chapter-46|•|
Chapter-47|•|
Chapter-48|•|
Chapter-49|•|
Epilogue
NEW BOOK-3
NEW BOOK-4

Chapter-20|•|

3.2K 216 29
By cupidflakes_8

Enjoy reading!!!

"Shre, did you call the catering guy?" Dad asks rushing inside.

I wipe my tears and crush the cigar in the ashtray. I turn to him and nod.

"I have called them. They will be here by 10 O'clock. Immediately after the guests start to arrive juice will be served. At noon, lunch will be arranged with 43 varieties," I read out the schedule.

I don't look at him. My eyes are fixed on the paper I have scheduled the things to be done.

"Shre?" my eyes fill when I feel the same warmth I always wanted from him, "Look at me."

I fist my fingers and am about to walk away, but he holds my shirt sleeve, "Is it about Avyuktha?"

I heave out a painful breath and my shoulders slump down. I turn to him and let him see my face. He gasps, "Were you crying the whole night? Look at you! Your eyes look bloodshot and your face seems restless. What are you doing to yourself, Shre?" he says worriedly.

I immediately haul myself into his arms. He wraps his arms around me and rubs my back when I sob, "I didn't know she was engaged. I didn't know that the fact that she is someone else's woman will hurt me to this extent. She betrayed me, dad. She hid that she is engaged and played with my emotions."

He rubs my back, speechless. I pull away and wipe my tears, "I won't let any woman ruin Riya's big day, dad. Forget that it all happened," I walk away from there and head to Riya's room.

"Sister-in-law, if you aren't coming now, I will not move from this place even," Riya seems to be talking to Avyuktha on call.

"Riya, I'm sorry. I couldn't come now. I am not doing well," Avyuktha coughs, "Mom and Dad are going to a wedding while my brother-in-law is going for a campaign. I should stay with my sister."

"Sister-in-law, please. You are my only friend-"
I walk inside and cut the video call. Riya glares at me.

"You are getting late," I tell her.

She huffs and turns around crossing her arms over her chest, "I am not attending the engagement if my sister-in-law isn't here, Shre," she states sitting on the bed.

"Riya," I address sternly, "Stop making a fuss for unworthy people. Get up and ready. The beauticians will be here in 15 minutes."

"Didn't you hear me, Shre? Or have you gone deaf? I won't move out of this bed if my sister-in-law isn't here," she says and lays down on the pulling duvet over her.

Avyuktha has made my family mad for her. She wrapped them around her little finger so well.

I close my eyes and the image of that guy holding Avyuktha's waist, his lips on her cheek flashes in front of me.

She fucking played me.

I lift the wooden chair and throw it against the wall making a huge sound. Riya cries out loud seeing me like this for the first time.

The back of my eyes starts to burn when I hold the tears that are threatening to flood out.

"Shre?" mom runs inside and gasps seeing the broken chair, "Shre, Riya, are you both hurt?"

She checks on me first and then rushes to Riya to check on her. Riya hugs mom crying scared of the way I behaved. I look at the broken chair and suddenly, everything makes sense.

I behaved violently.

Guilt pricks my heart when I see my little sister sobbing just like the way she sobbed in my arms when Dad hit mom.

I turn around and leave.

I go to the garden and sit there on a chair monitoring the decoration works.

Avyuktha's talks, her laughs, her blush, her shy smiles, her intoxicating breath, her heartwarming touch, her everything runs in my head making me gulp my sob.

"Shre?" Chey grips my shoulder. I turn around and look at him, "Man, what the hell has happened? Why are you crying?"

"Avyuktha is engaged, Chey," I say. Something burns. Something breaks. Something chokes. How much I may try to avoid this fact, is pricking me more.

"It's our sister's engagement, Shre. You should be active now. Come, get ready. Everything is done. The ceremony starts soon. Go and bathe," he says avoiding looking at me.

Does he already know that she is engaged?

"You knew it, don't you?" I whisper. He tries to divert the topic once again, but I cut it off, "Fucking don't lie!"

He flinches at my scream but doesn't answer. Tears flow down my eyes, "Did you take me as that low to run behind a woman who is engaged? Did you consider me an asshole who wants to get involved with an engaged woman?"

"Shre, you are getting wrong-"

"Don't. Just don't talk to me," I turn on my heels and walk away.

Everyone betrayed me. Everyone!

***

"Sister-in-law!" Riya screeches when I enter her room. She is still in her PJs and the beauticians are waiting for her to get off the bed. "I am glad you have come or else I wouldn't have engaged."

I flash a small smile. She scans my face and caresses my cheeks, "You cried the whole night, didn't you?"

"You need to start getting ready," I mumble and pull her near the mirror. "You are so stubborn head."

She giggles, "That I am."

I knock on her head making her pout. Shreya aunty comes inside with a huge grin. I look away not able to meet her eyes with this guilt for betraying her son.

"You are back?" she hugs me, "I'm so happy that you came. Everyone was asking for you."

"Me?" I look at her puzzled.

She nods and caresses my cheeks, "My cousins' families loved you so much. They all spent time with you yesterday and the way you took care of everything made them love you a lot."

I give a tight-lipped smile.

"Okay, now, go and get ready. The beauticians will work on your face too," she says and before I object, she turns to them, "She is my daughter-in-law. Make sure she looks more beautiful."

Tears stem in my eyes, "Aunty, I will leave now. I came on Riya's insistence. I need to go back. Also..." I look down and blink my tears, "Please don't call me your daughter-in-law."

"Why not?" she argues, "You are my daughter-in-law even if you agree to it or not. My Shreyansh is lucky to have you," she grins and suddenly, narrows her eyes, "You are not going anywhere. If my daughter-in-law isn't with us during this event, I don't want it to take place at all. I will cancel it."

"Yes, sister-in-law," Riya agrees with her mother.

I shut my eyes. Both these women were already about to stop the engagement as I wasn't here and if I leave, they don't hesitate to do it successfully.

I nod, "I'll stay."

"Yay!" Riya jumps hugging me from behind. I smile and kiss her temples.

"Avi, now, get your lehenga. It is in Shreyan's closet," I stiff and my face pale.
Shreyan? How can I face him?

"Go, Avi," Aunty says.

I hesitantly nod and leave for the guest room where Shreyan stays. I knock on the door but it doesn't open.

"Shreyan?" I knock once again but it doesn't open.

I hesitantly curl my fingers on the doorknob and twist it. The door unlocks and I step inside. The water sound from the bathroom suggests he is bathing. I should get my lehenga and escape from his room.

Determined by my decision, I scurry to his closet. I open the first cupboard and scan my eyes but it isn't there.

I open another cupboard and find a saree along with a jewellery box. Curiosity takes the best of me making me forget the reason I'm here for. I open the jewellery box and find a beautiful diamond ring in it.

"Avyuktha?" I startle at his cold voice and the ring box slips from my hand. I immediately turn around with shivering hands.

He looks at the ring which falls off the box and circles on the floor between us. He curls his fist and grabs the ring from the ground.

"I bought this for you," he whispers with a humourless chuckle and looks at my engagement ring on my finger, "But I guess, you don't need it."

He takes long strides to the window and throws the ring out of it. I gasp. He walks back to the cupboard and pulls out the saree.

"This?" his voice turns dangerous, "I bought it for you."

"Shreyan..." I whimper holding his arm.

He shrugs off my hand harshly and walks to the corner of the closet, "You fucking made me a fool," he throws it in the dustbin.

"I'm sorry, Shreyan," I sob, "I know I led you on but I tried a few times to tell you but you cut me off. Sometimes, I was selfish to not lose you after him."

"Stop spilling out your crocodile tears, Avyuktha," he yells making me flinch. He rages at me and backs me up to the cupboard, "Don't fucking come in front of me again."

I nod pinning my lips together, "I won't try to come in front of you again."

"Then, fuck off," he screams in my face making a yelp escape from my lips.

"Shre-"

"Fucking don't let my name roll out of your tongue," he yells again.

I wipe my tears with the back of my palm, "My lehenga is here," I whisper.

He stares at me gritting his teeth, "Never meet my sister or my parents hereafter," he turns around and pulls my lehenga from a cupboard.

"Fucking get out of here," he throws the bag in my face and it falls at my feet after it hit my face.

I silently pick it up and leave his room.

I go to Riya's room and directly walk into the bathroom to wash my face. After making sure, I don't like I cried, I step out.

The beauticians pull me to the mirror and start to work on my face.

After a while, someone on the door knocks, "Riya?" It's Shreyan's voice. I immediately get on my feet and run to the balcony before he gets inside.

"Look at you!" his voice is shaky, "You look so ugly."

"Shre?" Riya screeches, whining. I smile looking at my palms.

His laugh resonates in the room exhorting my heart to look at him once again. I fist my hands and look ahead while the brother-sister duo talks and laughs.

"If Karthik ever treats you badly," Shreyan pauses, "I am there for you. My door is always open for you."

"He is a good man, Shre," Riya argues.

"You never know men, Riya," Shreyan says in a low voice, "Come, let's go."

"Wait!" Riya says. I hear her footsteps reaching me. God! "Sister-in-law, come with me."

From the corner of my eyes, I see Shreyan standing in the middle of the room, "I will come, Riya," I clear my throat when it comes out in a whisper scared of Shreyan's anger, "I just need to adjust my lehenga once again."

I try to give her excuses but she doesn't seem to buy it. Scanning her eyes on my appearance, she says, "You are perfect. Waist. Arms. Neck. Chest. Everything is perfect," she pauses and winks at me, "Hot yet gorgeous."

"Riya," I look down embarrassed.

"Riya!" Shreyan yells for his sister in a cold tone, "the auspicious time is turning up!"

"Brother, wait-"

"Riya," I hold her by the shoulders, "I'll come behind you. Now, you need to go. Karthik is waiting for you."

I kiss her forehead and smile, "Go."

She nods and walks out while I stand on the balcony waiting for them to leave the room. Shreyan doesn't spare a glance at me before he walks out.

I blink my tears and try to smile.

Just one hour, Avi. Just one hour.

I tell myself and walk out. Making sure, I don't walk into Shreyan, I reach the garden where the engagement ceremony is taking place.

Suddenly, I feel embarrassed when everyone's eyes zero on me. I sit on a chair in the last row. Uncle and aunty are busy performing rituals.

"Hey!" I turn to my right and am surprised to see Samrat, "Why did you sit here?"

"Ain't I supposed to ask it?" he looks at me confused, "You guys are pretty close yet you are sitting in the last row!"

"God!" he groans, "Riya is the only sister for us and trusts me, I am more than glad for it."

I laugh at his expression, "Why?"

"I am so tired of everything. Riya wanted everything to be done by us without any event managers just like in the olden days. I have even carried rice bags." he almost cries.

I burst out laughing, "Sorry," I laugh again, "Your expressions are so funny."

"Don't laugh, Avyuktha" he pouts. I nod pinning my lips together.

"Enjoying without me?" Chaitanya comes to us fakely accusing me.

He sits on the other side of me, "You look beautiful, Avyuktha."

I smile with a nod.

"That's why Dr Saab cannot take his eyes off you," Sam makes me look at Shreyan. He is running from one place to another, greeting guests, looking after their needs and occasionally landing his eyes on me.

My breath hitches when he locks his gaze with mine and doesn't flinch even for a second.

Don't fucking come in front of me again

I look down and fidget with my dupatta ends.

He doesn't like me being with his friends. That's why he is looking at me like that. I don't want to trouble his day anymore.

I silently get on my feet. Sam and Chey look at me perplexed.

"I need to leave," I say.

They immediately stand up, "Why? What happened? Anything wrong?"

I shake my head no, "I have a commitment at this time. Ridha is alone at home. She is 6 months pregnant."

"But, can't you stay back for another 30 minutes? Riya and Shreya mom will be upset," Chaitanya says.

I glance at Shreyan and find him glaring at me. I look away and wet my lips, "I will apologise to them. Sorry."

I start to walk and Sam runs behind me, "Let me drop you at least."

"No, it's fine," I smile at him, "My house is just on the next street."

"Still, we can't let you walk out alone," Chey says.

I am about to reply, but Shreyan takes long strides toward me angrily, "Let her go," he says to his friends.

"Fine!" Sam sighs, "We understand that everything is off between you both but this isn't the way you behave with her."

"Ohh..." Shreyan laughs sarcastically and looks at me, "So, I assume, you have told my friends what happened in the closet to turn them against me."

Tears brim in my eyes and I try to speak but Chey beats me off! "What the hell happened in the closet?" he yells at Shreyan.

"Nothing!" I intervene, "Nothing happened between us, Chaitanya. You guys probably need to go back and I will leave."

I turn around and start to walk as fast as I can. Sam runs behind me once again and holds my hand, "Wait, Avi." he starts to pull me back to Shreyan, "What happened in the closet?"

"Sam and Chey! It's nothing-"

"I screamed at her. I used bad words at her. I almost stopped myself from hitting her," Shreyan screams, "Is that enough? And you know what, I'll fucking do it even now."

Chey immediately grabs Shreyan's Kurti lapels, "How dare you?" he yells in Shreyan's face, "How fucking dare you disrespect her? Do you know who she is to you-"

"Stop it!" I yell causing the guys to pull away from each other, "Fucking stop this madness. For God's sake, it's Riya's engagement. Guests are all over the place."

I turn to Shreyan but don't look at him, "I won't meet you again. I won't! It's my promise. But don't ruin either Riya's happy day or your friendship. And..." I look at him only to find a thin layer of moist glistening in his orbs, "I didn't tell your friends anything. Even if you had hit me, I wouldn't have told them."

I turn and start to walk but I hear aunty's voice this time, "Avi?" I take a deep breath and turn to her, "Are you leaving? Why?"

"Aunty, please, I can't stay here and ruin the happy day. I didn't want Riya to be disturbed, so, I have come. I didn't want you to be disappointed, so, I wore this lehenga," I say, "Now, my sister needs me. She is alone at home and heavily pregnant."

"But-"

"No buts and ifs, Aunty. I'll leave."

“Shre, at least you tell her to stop. She is the mother of your child—”

Shreyan cuts off her, “She isn't,” Shreya looks at him shocked, “She isn't pregnant. She isn't the mother of my child. She doesn't have any connection with either you or Riya hereafter,” he says as the thin moist takes place on his eyes.

I wipe my tears and look at Shreya aunty who is staring at us both betrayed, “I am sorry,” I whisper.

She nods. “That doesn't mean that you are not my daughter-in-law,” She is still in shock but trying to pull herself together, “You can't leave now, Avi. We need to talk.”

“There is nothing talk, aunty. I betrayed this family and now, let me go," I say.

"Avi?" I hear the surprised voices of my parents. I turn to them shocked.

"You both are here? You told you both were going to a family function!" they truly told me that.

"Yes, we told. We met them and came back. Dr Shreya invited us the other day by coming home with Dr Yashwanth," mom says. “She said she also wanted to talk about you. An important matter to specify.”

Dad nods and smiles, "We are living in this neighbourhood for more than 30 years now and except for occasional smiles and greets, we never made a friendship. So, why not now?" he chirps.

My muscle tense up when his gaze lands on Shreyan. They both had a rough encounter already and now? I don't want any more nuisance because of my family or me.

"He...?" Dad looks over my shoulder at Shreyan.

Shreya aunty smiles and pulls him in front; next to me, "My son. He is a neurosurgeon," Aunty smiles proudly.

Mom smiles and blesses Shreyan while Dad just smiles with a curt nod not wanting to dig into that rough encounter now.

"So, Avi, are you leaving?" Dad asks.

I nod.

"Great then. Viaan is coming along with his cousins. Deck up and invite them. We will be back after the ceremony ends," mom says.

I nod not looking at Shreyan.

"Oh, sorry, Dr Shreya. You don't know Viaan, right? He is my to-be son-in-law. He loves Avi a lot and they are gonna marry the next month," I look down trying to push my tears back.

I don't want to marry Viaan.

Shreyan sighs annoyed and walks away rudely without a word. Mom looks at him shocked while Dad scrunches his nose at his disrespect.

"Sorry," Aunty says, "Someone might have called him."

"It's fine, Dr Shreya," mom waves it off and looks at me, "Dad will drop you. Go home,"

"No, it's just too near. I will go by feet," I say and start to walk before anyone stops me this time.

There is no Shreyan anymore!

As I walk by, I see the park, I and Annu used to play, happily. I stop my steps and look at the place with tears.

There is no Annu anymore.

I walk back home battling with my heart to not run into Shreyan's arms and that damn park!

When I reach home, Viaan is already there. Since Viaan and Vansh have common cousins and since Ridha knew them from her marriage, they were enjoying themselves.

Viaan grins wide walking toward me. Pulling me to his chest, he buries his face in my neck, "Oh, fuck! You are so damn gorgeous."

I try to smile.

It's only Viaan now whether I like it or not, whether I am forced or willed.

************

How's the chap?

Everything turned upside down!!

Will Shreyan understand why Avyuktha couldn't tell him?

Will they find their paths? Or are they gonna unite again?

Should Avyuktha tell Viaan about everything?

If Viaan knows, how is he gonna react?

The next chapter gonna answer all these questions.

Share your views!

Stay tuned...

Surya

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.2K 1.5K 17
"So" He said and I looked at him and raised my eyebrows to say continue "I was thinking about what happened downstairs" I licked my lips due to his i...
47.3K 3.5K 39
"Even you know Vivek our marriage is not normal, and it can never be one." I cried out to the person standing close to me while taking 2 steps away f...
2.1M 169K 88
"I can give you grandchild without marriage too mom" Mira said after listening to her mom's useless reason making everyone shock. Yeah???? "I...I mea...
2.8M 10.3K 7
" You are really beautiful Nivi...... oh I am sorry Actually it slipped out accidentally. I heard your mom addressing you as Nivi that's why " when t...