A Bad Start - A Story By Fari...

De Ladyfaree

'No, it can't be. It really is a joke, right?' Shazia asked under her breath, looking at the other women for... Mais

Chapter 1 - A Bad Start
Chapter 2 - The Promise
Chapter 3 - The News
Chapter 4 - The Flashback
Chapter 5 - Pearls Bistro
Chapter 6 - Husna
Chapter 7 - The Confession
Chapter 8 - The El-Muneer Story
Chapter 9 - From Tanko To El-Muneer
Chapter 10 - The Portrait
Chapter 11 - Goodbye!
Chapter 12 - Shazia Meets Amir
Chapter 13 - Crash!
Chapter 14 - Cairo
Chapter 15 - Oh Adila!!
Chapter 16 - Mrs. N
Chapter 17 - The Abduction!
Chapter 19 - Fate
Chapter 20 - Amir And Shazia
Chapter 21 - Mujaheed!!
Chapter 22 - Life
Chapter 23 - Shazia El-Muneer!!
Chapter 24 - The Appointment
Chapter 25 - Mr. And Mrs. Aadeel
Chapter 26 - PayBack..
Chapter 27 - Fahad El-Muneer
Chapter 28 - Forgiveness
Chapter 29 - The Mask Party
Chapter 30 - Decency!
Chapter 31 - Marital Bliss
Writer's Note 💜

Chapter 18 - Shaleed Or Khazia??

51 13 4
De Ladyfaree

The Fahad Family House - 28th December, 2018

Shazia is done with her semester examination so she's always at home. She now hates Fridays and Saturdays in Cairo (school free/weekend days), there is always one thing or the other in that house. The worst is when Ali visits with his family. As if Aunt Zahra and Anisa's problems aren't enough, he seems to enjoy taunting her.

Uncle Waleed and Aunt Zahra were out and Anisa and Shazia were in the living room. Shazia tried talking to Anisa but she kept ignoring her so she eventually gave up and continued using her phone. She isn't one to start conversations but she was trying hard to mend the broken bridge between them. Anisa's cold attitude towards her wasn't in any way helping matters.

Just like every Friday, Ali came to the house with his wife.

'Assalamu alaikum'. He greeted as he stepped into the room.

'Wa alaikumussalam Ya Akhiy (my brother) and zawjat al'akhiy (my brother's wife)'. Anisa was extremely excited to see them knowing Shazia was in for it.

'Wa alaikumussalam. Good afternoon Yaya'. Shazia greeted.

'How is my favourite sister?' Ali inquired, ignoring Shazia's presence.

'Bored!' Anisa said with her smirky grin and Ali immediately knew what she wanted.

'Then it's good we are here to keep you company'. He assured her, sitting on the sofa.

'I'll get you something to drink'. Anisa left the living room with an evil smile on her face.

His wife, Dalia was about to sit on a separate sofa when he pulled her to him and she fell on his chest with a soft chuckle. 'Why do you want to stay away from your husband?' He whispered in her ears - but loud enough for anyone in the living room to hear - and she gave another chuckle. He kept playing with her baby bump for minutes, kissing her on different parts of her body endlessly and later held her tight playing with her hair, ignoring the presence of another human being - 'Shazia' - in the living room. An innocent Dalia was surprised at the sudden outburst of affection but she couldn't stop him so she let it go on. Besides, he had never shown her this much affection so she was enjoying every moment!

Shazia tried to ignore them but she couldn't because of the noise he was making so she picked up her phone and left for her room. Anisa returned to the living room when she saw Shazia leave and they smirked in triumph. Dalia, who was oblivious of the duo's plot, clung to her husband.

'Please get off me or you'll break me'. He snorted, pushing her away.

Immediately Shazia got into her room, she made her way to the bathroom to perform ablution. She prayed Nawafil prayers and sat on the praying mat wiping her tears as she reminisced about the past.

******

June 2014

It was finally Prom day and the students were all happy to finally graduate Secondary School. Even though Amir and Shazia were not dating, they went there together.

It was time for awards and students were called on stage to get theirs. 'Ladies and Gentlemen, the award you've all been waiting for'. The MC announced. 'The best couple of the set award which this year also doubles as the Prom King and Queen!!!'. The students shrieked in delight. 'Best couple of the set and our Prom King and Queen award goes to...' The MC began.

'Shazia El-Muneer and Ahmad Muhammad Ibrahim Rimi'. The students completed, giving them a standing ovation.

Shazia and Amir went on stage with confused looks and they were given a microphone to give their speech. None of them knew what to say, they were not expecting that.

'Hi everyone. We are thrilled by this'. Shazia started. 'But wait, you all know we are not dating, right?' She asked, amidst laughter.

'Yeah, yeah.. Whatever'.
'Okay ma'am'
'We hear you loud and clear'. Some of her classmates also replied, laughing.

'I am serious we are not dating'. She informed them. 'Right Amir?' she asked while looking at him. He only smiled. Shazia told her mates how she was going to miss them all and wished everyone the best of both worlds. Amir thanked them for the award, telling them how it meant a lot to them and they both went back to their seats.

The students had games, entertainment, food etc and it was a really fun and memorable day for everyone present.

Graduation was the next day and it was perfect! Shazia, Amir and Laura all received prizes. The graduands and their parents all had a fun-filled day.

Shazia and Laura had a grand reception at home and all their classmates were invited. For the classmates that were just seeing the El-Muneer Mansion for the first time, they were bedazzled!

10 days after graduation, Shazia left for Cairo to spend some time with her Maternal family.

******

Living with Uncle Waleed and his family made Cairo interesting for her. Her cousins Ali, Zulaiha and Anisa took her to different places and they really had fun together. Even at home they always had one activity or the other to keep themselves busy.

'Shazee, I love you and I was hoping you'll give us a chance'. Ali confessed, two days before she left for Nigeria, after informing his mother and siblings of his decision. Shazia was confused as she fumbled for the right words to say. 'You don't have to give me an answer now, you can think about it for as long as you wish'. He assured her.

'It isn't that Yaya Ali'. She started, looking down at her shoes. 'I already have someone I love'. She whispered, but loud enough for him to hear her.

'Does that mean you don't love me? Are you rejecting my love?'. Shazia kept quiet. 'I am talking to you Shazia!'. He stormed. 'Who is he? Are you related?' She shook her head. 'So you'll reject your blood for an outsider? Oh great, just great!!'. He paced up and down the room for some minutes. 'Shazia, please give me a chance. I am completely in love with you'. He begged, getting on his knees. 'I can't see myself without you'.

'Yaya, I am really sorry. You know we don't have control over our hearts, and my heart belongs to Amir. I will not want to deceive you by pretending to be in love with you'. She explained sincerely, wiping tears off her face. It pained her to hurt Ali, he's a very sweet and nice guy. But what could she do? Her heart was already taken.

'Please'. He continued pleading but when he realised she wouldn't budge on her decision, he got up angrily. 'You know what? Dammit Shazia, forget this ever happened'. He snorted, storming out of the room.

The last two days Shazia spent before going back to Nigeria were terrible. Hajiya Zahra, Ali and Anisa treated her horribly - only Zulaiha was still nice to her. From the day she rejected Ali forward, the trio have always treated her with contempt.

*******

2 Months after Graduation

'Abby, is there any way you can assist Amir's father please so that Amir can also attend Nile University? He didn't tell me but I understand his father can't afford that. And Abby, you know how Government Universities can be. The delays in cases of strike and all'. Shazia pleaded, sitting on her father's lap as she normally does when she needs something from him.

'Last week we discussed that with his uncle and he suggested that since Amir's father won't accept any help from either of us, it's best we get him a contract. That way, he won't feel like he's a burden to anyone. So 2 days back, I gave him a big one'. Alhaji El-Muneer explained humbly.

'Oh Abby! You are the best daddy in the whole world'. She complimented, hugging him.

'Anything to make my baby happy'.

'Please Shazia, don't break my husband's legs'. Hajiya Naima cautioned, jokingly.

'Someone is just jealous of our love'. Shazia giggled. 'Oh Ummy, you are also the best mummy in the whole world, no need to be jealous'. She stuck her tongue out.

'Whatever! I have my baby too'. She laughed, referring to Fahad. Daughter and father burst into laughter.

'I'll be at the garden in case you need me'. She informed her parents. 'Miss me much'. She winked at her mother, pecking her on both cheeks.

Shazia was walking to the garden when she saw her brother and his best friend and she instantly went to greet them. They exchanged pleasantries and she left.

Fahad had noticed the way Khaleed looks at Shazia for months and the way he kept asking after her when she was away in Egypt. He wouldn't call the look 'lustful', but there was something about it that bothered him and he couldn't point a finger at it.

'Fee, how far with Shazia?' Khaleed finally inquired, still staring at her back as she sashayed towards the garden.

'Khaleed, my sister is off limits and you know that!'. Fahad retorted.

'Jokes apart, I really do love her. Besides, you know I can't hurt Shazia, she's a sister to me'. Khaleed paused for a brief moment before he continued. 'I promise to stop my playboy lifestyle if you let me date her, you have to trust me on this. Please just give me a chance, I want a decent relationship with her which will eventually lead to marriage!'. Khaleed pleaded. He had his eyes on Shazia even before her graduation day but on that particular day, he realised she was all he wanted. He assured himself Shazia was specifically made for him and no one else and he vowed to make her his even if it meant quitting his ways.

After much persuasion from Khaleed, Fahad hesitantly gave in to the pressure. 'Okay, fine! You can seek her consent on the matter, but remember she's just starting university next month, she's a young, artless, naive girl'. He muttered. One look at Khaleed and you could tell he was extremely delighted. 'But Khaleed!!' Fahad continued in a tone Khaleed never knew he had. 'If you hurt her, I'll incapacitate you. Henceforth, I've got my eye on you - any wrong move and you're done for.. Make sure you treat her right or else you have yourself to blame'. Fahad had a monstrous look, he meant every word he said. He knew the kind of guy his best friend was and he felt scaring him would serve as a deterrence.

'Yes Boss!' Khaleed joked, gulping nervously. He knew what Fahad was capable of when something had to do with Shazia.

'Good! Cheers to a new beginning!'. Fahad commented, proposing a toast.

'To the best days of my life'. Khaleed added as he clinked his glass against Fahad's. The duo were silent for a while as different thoughts ran through their minds. 'So when do I get to meet my queen? Today? '. Khaleed finally asked.

'By all means! We can meet her at the garden now'.

'Yes please'. Khaleed was excited and at the same time nervous. 'What if she rejects me?' He kept asking himself as they approached her. 'No!! No girl can reject Khaleed Suleiman.. Not even Shazia El-Muneer'. He reminded himself, smiling.

'Assalamu alaikum'. Fahad greeted as he sat
beside his sister on the Garden swing.

'Wa alaikumussalam'. She responded, smiling.

'You have a guest'. He informed her.

'Who?' She asked guilelessly, looking around for the guest.

'Khaleed!'.

'Oh!' She gasped. 'Welcome Yaya Khaleed, please have a seat'. She offered innocently.

'Thank you'. He mouthed, taking the Garden stool.

'I'll take my leave'. Fahad informed them, standing up from the swing.

'Where to?' Shazia asked, her eyes wide open. Khaleed found it cute and almost burst into laughter.

'I've got work! Besides, Khaleed has something to discuss with you'. He walked away.

The two were silent for a while and Shazia was getting uncomfortable.

'How is the break?' Khaleed finally asked.

'It's interesting, alhamdu lilLah'. She replied in a hush tone.

'Good.. Fee says you are going to Nile University, what do you wish to study?'

'Architecture'.

'That's nice. All the best'.

'Thank you'. She responded, not sure where the conversation was going.

Khaleed cleared his throat. 'So Shazia if you don't mind me asking, do you have anyone you are dating?' Shazia unconsciously raised her head up to look at him mouth agape, the question came unexpectedly. 'Are you dating anyone?!' He asked again.

Shazia wanted to lie about Amir but then they were not dating so she felt there was no point! She slowly shook her head to indicate 'No'.

Khaleed smiled before he continued. 'Shazia, I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you'. He paused. 'I want to marry you Shazia, I want you to be the mother of my kids'. Shazia's eyes grew wide open and Khaleed smiled again. 'No not now, of course till you are done with school. But we have to start somewhere, don't we?' Shazia kept mute. 'If you are worried about Fee, I sought his permission first. But I don't want to rush you so I'll give you time to think it over, okay?' Shazia nodded, all of a sudden she was dumb. 'Take care of yourself for me, okay? I'll call you later'. He stood up and left her dumbfounded.

'Wait!! Did Yaya Khaleed just ask me out?' She wondered when reality dawned on her. 'Wow!' She blushed. She never saw that coming!

Once she was done reading, she went back to her section for Magrib prayer. Laura came some minutes later.

'Laura, can you remember Yaya's best friend, Khaleed?'. Shazia asked, playing with her fingers shyly.

'Yes, what about him?' Laura inquired.

'Well, he asked me out earlier today'.

'Wait, what? Does Yaya know?'

'Yes, he sought his permission first'.

'But Shazee, you know you can't be with him, right? You are in love with Amir'.

'I agree I am in love with Amir, but he doesn't feel that way about me'. Shazia responded sadly. 'In life we don't always get what we want, right? And it's absolutely okay because Allah knows best'.

'I know Amir loves you too. Maybe he's just too shy to let you know'.

'Shy? I've been with Amir for 6 years, if he was in love with me, he would have found a way of informing me'.

'Okay, if you insist. But I know Amir loves you more than his own self'.

'Can we not make this discussion about Amir please? We are just best friends!! He doesn't love me otherwise'. She was provoked, which is not something you easily see in her. 'I'll accept Yaya Khaleed. Who knows?! Perhaps I'll learn to love him'. Of course Shazia would have been the happiest if it was Amir that asked her out but she didn't want to get her hopes high so she felt accepting Khaleed was the best option for her.

'Okay, if you say so. I pray to Allah SWT to grant you the best'. Laura hugged her and she felt better. They bade each other goodnight and Laura left.

Later, Amir called and after talking for a while, Shazia brought up Khaleed's topic.

'You know Amir, Yaya's best friend asked me out'. She faked excitement. Amir felt his head spinning and his stomach churning. 'Are you there?'. She asked when the silence was getting too much.

'Yeah, sorry. My network went off'. He managed to say, sweat trickling down his face.

'It's okay'.

'So I guess you are in a relationship with him now, huh?'

'I haven't responded yet. What do you think? Should I accept him?'

'If you like him, I think you should'. Amir answered sincerely. He didn't want to be selfish, she sounded really happy, he wasn't going to ruin that for her - He felt she was definitely interested in the guy.

That was honestly not the answer Shazia wanted from him, but she had no choice. His answer showed he wasn't in love with her and she was ready to let go. 'Okay, I'll send him a message now. Thank you Amir'. She hung up without waiting for a response from him. Shazia immediately switched off her phone and cried her heart out that night.

Amir on his part couldn't sleep and he felt sharp pains in his chest. Why did that have to happen the week he wanted to ask her out?? 'How can I live without Shazia? How did I let myself lose her when I love her more than anything I hold dear?'. He kept asking himself. He got up, went to the bathroom, performed ablution and prayed to his Lord to grant him ease.

Shazia was brought back to reality by her phone's ringtone. Her brother has a way of detecting the slightest change in her voice no matter how hard she tries to conceal such change so she cleared her throat about 3 times so her voice wouldn't be hoarse, before she finally picked up the call.

'Assalamu alaikum. Good afternoon Yaya'. Shazia greeted.

'Wa alaikumussalam. Hello darling, how are you?' Fahad asked. 'You sound a bit down, are you okay?'.

'I am okay, Yaya. Thanks for asking'. She responded, but her quavering voice gave her away.

'What's wrong? What happened? Did anyone do anything to you?'.

'No Yaya, it's fine'.

'Darling, tell me what the problem is'.

'It's nothing Yaya, believe me'.

'Okay, if you insist'.

'How are Ummy and Abby? Hope they are missing me'.

'They are here with me, we just finished lunch. And yes! They are missing you so much'. The siblings talked for a while before hanging up.

*****

'Ummy, she's not okay. I'll be going to Egypt tomorrow In Shaa Allah to get her a new place, I don't think she's happy where she is'. He said immediately he hung up the call, turning to face his parents.

'But won't your Uncle and his family be offended?' Alhaji El-Muneer asked.

'Abby, sincerely speaking, at this point all I care about is her happiness and the only way she'll be happy is if she stays far away from Aunt Zahra and her children'.

'I also support Fahad's decision. Waleed will understand'. Hajiya Naima informed her husband. She knew her daughter wasn't happy staying there when they visited her some days back, even though Shazia tried so hard to conceal it from her parents.

'Okay then, it's fine by me. I wish you a safe trip'.

'Thank you Abby. I'll check out the Student Residences on campus first, I heard they are really nice. If I don't get a conducive apartment for her, then I'll check the ones close to the campus'.

'It's okay, we trust your choice'. Alhaji El-Muneer assured him.

'Thank you'.

End of Chapter 18.

So now we know why Aunt Zahra and Anisa treat Shazia badly. But is it even a valid reason? Don't people get rejected once in a while?

You asked for longer chapters and you got them (Chapters 17 and 18), I hope you enjoyed them.

Please like (by pressing the star below), comment and share.

Thank you 💜

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

90.6K 4.3K 31
Have you ever happened to loathe someone so much that you couldn't even stand them. Well yes, it did happen with Aayat and Zayan. They had the most...
325K 44.2K 48
In life, we don't always get what we want. Falling in love is a great feeling. Being loved in return is even a more greater feeling. But not bein...
311K 19.9K 46
She loved him. He loved another. She was ready to die for him. He pretended to be oblivious to that. She was...
10.6K 503 28
Ayeza was a modern girl,a lawyer by profession,all bubbly,full of life without worries.Getting entangled into a mystery of puzzles wasn't on her list...