Different

By idksomethingnotlame

Claire Lupin has always been different. It was an almost inexplicable difference, but it was always there. An... More

prologue
dementors
hippogriffs
potions
tea
falling
fights
stories
explanations
christmas
traitor
dungbombs
slaps
shrieking shack
understanding
lyall
birthdays
premonitions
light
reunions
voices
professor moody
dreams
waking up
goblets
panic attacks
intrusive thoughts (!)
duels
Visits
Curses
partnerships
dances
Black Lake
graveyards (!)
midnight runs
bleeding eyes
presents
birthdays
invisible
quidditch
concussions
breakouts
fights
snakes
christmas
found
hallways
mother dearest
brothers
suffering
vows
home
poetry
amortentia
revelations
necklace
threats
fear
safe house
found you
fixing wardrobes
potions
concussions
mother's love
chocolate
constellations
parties
Astronomy Tower
hospital wing
tension
packing
heightened emotions
legal age
family quidditch
blood loss
weddings

breakups

192 8 4
By idksomethingnotlame

Claire was awake but she could barely move. She was wrapped in a warm embrace that she didn't want to leave. She could faintly smell her dad's aftershave and she knew that she was with him. So at least she was safe.

But the panicked and angry voices around her didn't make her feel safe.

Her head was pounding so hard that the world felt like it was spinning. She could breathe better, but each breath felt like it took twice the energy it normally would. An overwhelming sense of dread made it feel like an elephant was sitting on her chest.

The slamming of doors made her flinch enough that her dad shushed those around him.

"You're okay now Claire," Remus whispered.

"We're here," Sirius said softly from her other side. Claire hesitantly opened her eyes. She was glad to see that the lights had been dimmed in the Hospital Wing. Her dad was sitting next to her and she was leaning on his chest, which she was glad because she didn't have the energy to sit up herself. Sirius was next to them, somehow in his human form. Harry was laying in a bed next to her with Hermione and Ron around him. Molly Weasley was there too along with Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall, and Snape. Leo was sitting opposite from Sirius, looking absolutely exhausted and worried.

"Don't try to talk," Remus told her, his voice as soft as he could go. Claire let her head fall back onto his chest because it took too much energy to keep it up. Remus was shaking as he held her as tight as he could without hurting her.

"We have a great problem on our hands," Dumbledore started. His voice carried enough power that everyone listened, even if he wasn't speaking loudly. "We need to work together from now on. Severus, you know what you need to do."

Professor Snape didn't look happy or excited about what was happening, but he nodded. He hesitated when he passed Claire, sharing a look with Remus that only the two of them could understand.

"We must all remain strong in the face of adversity. What Harry and Claire went through tonight needs not to be repeated to others," Dumbledore warned. "We will fight for them. For Cedric Diggory."

All was silent as the three professors left the Hospital Wing. Madam Pomfrey started going around and passing out more potions to those who needed them.

"Are you alright, dear?" Madam Pomfrey questioned softly.

"Hurts," Claire croaked. She winced at the pain it caused her throat just to say one word.

"Here you go," Madam Pomfrey said. The healer started mixing up a concoction of potions that made Claire wince at the smell. But her whole body was hurting so she didn't complain at the bitter taste.

"I tried," Claire whispered, looking between Remus and Sirius.

"We know, sweetie," Sirius assured her. Claire sniffled and curled up tighter till she was more comfortable.

"We're so proud of you," Remus told her, his voice cracking.

"There was nothing anyone could do," Harry spoke up. He sounded so sad, as if every last bit of joy had left him. "Voldemort is back. His plan worked."

"Don't worry about that tonight, dear," Mrs. Weasley said, forcing a smile on her face even though tears were in her eyes. "I think we all just need to sleep. Nothing is so important that it can't wait until morning."

"I agree," Remus spoke up. He was gently running his hand through Claire's hair because he remembered that it used to work when she was little. It was definitely working now because she was asleep in no time at all.

————————————

When Claire woke again, she was all alone. The Hospital Wing was cold, but she was shaking from her dreams. She had seen the whole night play out again, so she wasn't too surprised when she saw the real Mad-Eye Moody laying in the bed in the corner of the room.

"I can't believe we didn't know that he was a fake," Harry said softly. Claire looked over and saw that he looked troubled and his eyes were red.

"There's nothing any of us could do," Claire assured him. Her throat was still sore and she had a faint metallic taste, but the potions seemed to be working. Her body hurt a whole lot less than when she had woken up the night before.

"I thought you were dead when I saw you coming out of that chest with the real Mad-Eye," Harry murmured, not able to look at her.

"I thought I was going to die too," Claire admitted, her voice getting caught in her throat.

"Promise me that you won't die and I'll do the same," Harry suggested. "It's not fair to the world if only one twin dies, right? If we say it out loud, we'll be speaking it into existence."

"I promise I won't die," Claire said softly. "Where is everyone, by the way?"

"Probably with Dumbledore," Harry shrugged. "They were gone when I woke up. I know that's where Madam Pomfrey went."

The two were interrupted by the door slamming open. Claire and Harry both reached for their wands, but it was only Draco, his eyes wide and his hair wild. His whole demeanor changed when he saw Claire and he was at her side in an instant. His eyes showed that he was unsure of himself now that he was in front of her, especially with Harry right there, but he couldn't help rushing up there when he heard the rumors.

"They said you were dead," Draco choked out, sitting heavily in the chair beside her. He looked so relieved to see her that she gave him a reassuring smile.

"It takes a lot more than that to kill me," Claire joked.

"Are you okay?" Draco asked her. He was looking at the many bandages all over her body, many of which she didn't even know where there. She could faintly remember bumping into things when she was getting cursed, which would explain the cuts.

"I'm okay," Claire assured him. But she wasn't sure if she was. Physically, she was exhausted and in pain. And mentally she couldn't even comprehend what was happening.

"My father was there, wasn't he?" Draco asked softly, looking at the ground.

"Yeah, he was," Harry answered. Claire saw how confused the boy looked as he watched the blond in front of him.

"Sounds about right," Draco scoffed. "I told him it wasn't worth it. But he doesn't want my opinion."

"You're not him," Claire reminded him, grabbing his hand in a comforting gesture. Of course that was when Leo decided to come into the Hospital Wing, his eyes immediately going to their hands, making them separate quickly. Leo had brought her a vase of roses.

"I'm glad you're finally awake," Leo said, ignoring Draco as he sat down next to her on the other side.

"Thank you," Claire said softly as she accepted the vase. Leo gave her forehead a lingering kiss and then grabbed her hand as if to reassure himself that she was still there.

"Where are my flowers?" Harry joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Claire had a bit more of a traumatic night," Leo responded.

"I was asleep for most of it," Claire shrugged, wincing at the pain it caused her.

"Your cut reopened," Draco said worriedly. Claire was surprised that he hadn't left yet, especially since Leo was there and he wasn't exactly a fan of Harry.

"I didn't even know I had a cut there," Claire murmured. Her right shoulder had a deep indent where she had apparently bumped into something. Draco looked scared as her gown got covered in more blood. There were already a few stains from where she had bled the night before, and she was ready to change.

"Where are some bandages?" Draco asked, looking around on the nearby tables. He found some bandages and started to tear them off when they were ripped out off his hands.

"I've got it," Leo said harshly, glaring at Draco.

"I'm just trying to help," Draco argued.

"Trying to help or trying to steal my girlfriend?" Leo scoffed. Claire sent Harry a pleading look and tried to shuffle further down in her bed. The two boys looked murderous as they glared at each other.

"Look, you guys can figure that out later. I'm going to get Madam Pomfrey and then sleep," Harry spoke up protectively.

"I'm not going anywhere," Leo spat. Draco scoffed and rolled his eyes before walking towards the door. He took one last glance at Claire to reassure himself that she was okay before leaving.

"Leo, please," Claire whispered. She motioned for him to close the separator between her bed and Harry's bed. Luckily for her, the cubicle was soundproof once it was closed.

"I'm sorry. I just get so protective," Leo sighed. He looked tired and scared, and it worried her. Tears filled her eyes as she realized what she had to do.

"I really do like you, Leo. More than anyone else," Claire started, choking on her tears. "But you're too protective. It's not healthy or safe. I just...I have too much going on that I need you by my side as my friend. Only my friend."

Leo was silent as he stared at his hands.

"Please don't hate me," Claire whispered.

"I could never," Leo said intensely, looking at her with a look that made her remember why she liked him in the first place. His eyes were rimmed with tears, but he almost looked thankful at the same time. "I'll always wait for you. I'll always be here for you. I promise."

"I know," Claire assured him. "And I hope that I can say the same in the future. I just can't right now, and that's not fair to you."

Leo nodded and sniffled a little before standing up, giving her an awkward smile.

"I guess this is goodbye for a while," Leo sighed. "I have some stuff with the pack that I've been putting off. Just...promise me you'll be safe."

"Only if you promise the same," Claire said. She tried to joke but her eyes were wide with fear because she had seen glimpses of the future and she knew it wouldn't all be happy for him.

"I'll try my best," Leo smiled. A stray tear fell down his face that he hurried to wipe away. He left without a proper goodbye, opening the curtain so she could see Harry.

Claire finally let herself cry. She ignored the stinging pain in her shoulder and the pain that radiated all over her body, like a blanket. She ignored how her throat ached and how she could feel a volcano of visions just ready to erupt and burn her. It was all too much and she was hurting the people she loved.

"I'm here," Harry assured her as he clutched her close to him. His voice was shaky too as he finally let his emotions go free.

And so Remus and Sirius found the two siblings clutching each other as they slept, tear marks down both of their faces.

At least they had each other as the world collapsed in on them.

------------------------------------------------------

When Claire woke up again, the sky was fully dark, the moon casting shadows in the Hospital Wing. Harry was still asleep in the bed next to her, light snores filling the room. Sirius and Remus were softly talking to each other. Sirius was leaning his head on Remus' shoulder, their hands intertwined while they looked out the window, watching the stars. Claire groaned as she sat up, pushing Harry's arm off of her.

"Sleep well?" Sirius joked, giving her a real smile now that they were finally able to relax a little. Claire yawned, using the hand to cover her mouth and flick him off at the same time.

"Claire, don't be rude," Remus chastised, but he was lightly grinning at her. Claire sleepily ran her hand through her hair, wincing at all the tangles.

"We've just been waiting for the two of you to wake up," Sirius explained. "Dumbledore had your food sent up earlier. Madam Pomfrey is asleep, but if you're in pain we can wake her up."

"M'okay," Claire murmured sleepily. Her body and mind were both exhausted to an extent that she had never felt before. Remus frowned at how tired she looked, concern clear in his eyes. "I'll wake Harry up."

Claire lightly shook his shoulder, but Harry just grumbled and curled in tighter on himself. Instead of letting the boy sleep, Claire shoved him off the bed, which wasn't hard because he was already practically falling off. Harry shouted as his body hit the ground, looking around in shock for a moment before glaring at the girl, who innocently grinned at him.

"I was half awake anyways," Harry grumbled.

"Well, now you're fully awake," Sirius said cheerfully.

"Don't encourage that," Remus scolded. "Claire, apologize."

"He's fine," Claire dismissed. Harry grumbled and ran his hand through his hair, finding his glasses and glaring at her still.

"My hip hurts," Harry complained. "What was so important that you had to shove me and wake me up?"

"I don't know," Claire shrugged, wincing a little at the sting in her shoulder.

"We just wanted to know how the two of you are feeling," Remus started. Claire and Harry both seemed to shut down right in front of the two men. Claire started playing with her nails and Harry was awkwardly staring at the bed across from him.

"We're fine," Harry spoke up.

"No, you're not. And that's okay," Sirius assured them. There was no gentle humor in his tone like normal. Instead he was just concerned. "Remus and I have been through a lot, but nothing like the two of you. It's a lot to handle, and you're both so young."

"I don't...I don't even know what happened," Claire whispered, her voice breaking. "I kept seeing glimpses, and I know Voldemort is back and Cedric is...is gone. But I don't know how or why."

"Cedric wasn't supposed to go to the graveyard," Remus explained. "Barty Crouch Jr. escaped from Azkaban and was able to live in secret with his father, who he killed and transfigured into a bone. He was there at the Quidditch World Cup. He was the one who sent the Dark Mark. He attacked Mad-Eye Moody and replaced him this whole year."

"Moaning Myrtle heard you telling Harry about being a Moon Child and a Seer," Sirius continued. "As I'm sure you already know, you are the first full Moon Child to live this long. And you're the first to be a Seer. Even your mother wasn't as powerful as you are. Barty Jr. knew that you would be a valuable asset in the hands of Voldemort. Chances are that he had already sent word to Voldemort or his followers and they know who and what you are, or they at least have an idea."

"So I have a target on my back? Just like Harry?" Claire questioned.

"Probably," Remus sighed. He looked just as tired as Claire, like he hadn't slept in a few nights.

"What happened to him? Is he in Azkaban?" Claire asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"The Dementors got to him," Harry spoke up, a twisted look on his face. "He forced me to go to his office after I came back with...he forced me to go up there and then the professors came in and stopped him. They brought you and the real Mad-Eye up. We all thought you were dead."

The room was cast into an uncomfortable silence. No one knew what to say. There was an overwhelming sense of sadness that enveloped them, and the elephant of dread was still sitting right on Claire's chest.

"What happens now?" Claire asked.

"Well, you're going to have to come home with us early," Remus explained. "You were um...you can't-"

"Barty Crouch Jr tortured you so long that we have to watch for any brain damage," Sirius took over, a sad and pitying look on his face. Remus sniffled and wiped away a tear, looking so sad that Claire just wanted to cry with him.

"I'm fine," Claire insisted. In reality, each word felt like it took forever to form and she had a pounding headache that was causing brain fog, but it wasn't much worse than how she felt right after a powerful vision. "I feel fine."

"But you're not," Remus whispered.

"I can watch her," Harry argued, looking distressed at the idea of being away from her, even if just for a few days.

"You have too much on your plate already, Harry. And Claire, we have to hide you before Evan gets you," Remus continued. "He saw you in Hogsmeade. He was probably there last night, and he'd turn you over in a heartbeat. There's just too much right now. You have to come home early."

"I don't want to," Claire said softly. "I want to stay here."

"We know," Sirius assured her. "But it's not safe. Dumbledore can only do so much right now, especially with Leo gone now."

"Can I go too?" Harry pleaded. "I don't want to stay here either."

"We asked Petunia and Vernon," Sirius answered, a sneer on his face. "They won't sign the forms to let you go. I asked Dumbledore since I'm your godfather, but I'm still a wanted man. We tried, I promise."

"But he's not going to be safe this summer," Claire argued, furrowing her eyebrows. "There's... I can't see it. I can't see it!"

"It's okay," Remus said, moving over and sitting in the chair next to her, holding her hand. Her headache got worse and she had a small nosebleed. "You don't have to have all the answers. You don't have to protect anyone except for yourself. Nothing will be your fault. Nothing."

But Claire didn't believe him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

412K 14.8K 36
⠀ ❝ And in the back of her mind, Katie knew that her words were a lie. Because if her nightmares could creep up into her mind and become her realit...
101K 3K 45
"Y/n, I will always be here for you." "Promise?" "I promise." ~*𓃦*~ Going to Hogwarts was something Y/n Black had been looking forward to her ent...
461 8 9
Place: England I'm not gonna be writing anything to do with school or seasons cause I don't know anything about those things in England. In an alter...
446K 21.5K 107
Maybe if Sirius Black wished for it hard enough, Remus Lupin would be his. If only his family wasn't caught up in an old rivalry resurfacing... (Mara...