The Discreet Charm of Lady Ma...

由 EmilyMorgans

John Osborne has a promising career with the War Office and lacks for nothing. Except, possibly, a wife. Unfo... 更多

Foreword
Chapter 1: A Mere Friend
Chapter 2: The Case
Chapter 3: Brooding
Chapter 4: Welcome to the Party
Chapter 5: Dull
Chapter 6: Bed Sharing
Chapter 7: Searching
Chapter 9: Dash It All
Chapter 10: Getting Acquainted
Chapter 11: Morning Awkwardness
Chapter 12: The Maze
Chapter 13: The Maze (Again)
Chapter 14: For Now
Chapter 15: Worship (part 1)
Chapter 16: Worship (part 2)
Chapter 17: Sisters
Chapter 18: This Is It
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 8: Game Night

5.4K 458 47
由 EmilyMorgans

Mary wasn't sure what she had expected the games night to be, but certainly not this. They had waited to go downstairs until the event was in full swing to ensure they could sneak in without attracting too much attention. As they walked through the rooms designated for the games night, she was grateful for the mask hiding her wide-eyed stare. Groups of guests played different games, and while she could recognise what they were playing, the rules appeared slightly different.

At a table, a few guests played cards but any time someone lost a hand, they had to divest with a piece of clothing. Some poor gentleman was down to one stocking and his shirt. At another table, they played Bullet Pudding but the bullet had been replaced by a plum and once someone had picked it out of the flour with their mouth, there appeared to be a competition for who could steal it from them—again using mouths only.

Apparently, the ball had only been the beginning. Everyone appeared more at ease, having got to know each other the previous night, and laughter was ripe in the room. It was difficult to believe that these people were the same ones that frequented the stilted musical evenings and balls of the London season.

"We should have stayed in our room," John muttered next to her as he frowned at a gentleman striking a pose for a lady drawing his likeness. A harmless endeavour—had the man not been wearing nothing but his riding breeches.

"I imagine that would have been suspicious," she said, receiving a grunt in reply. "Let's get a drink."

They walked into the next room towards the refreshment table, and she let out a little squeal of delight as they discovered not only a table filled with drinks, but a second table with a large display of fruits, cheeses, and other delectable little morsels. It took her another moment to realise that the food was covering a woman. A very naked woman. With guests picking the pieces off her body.

John must have noticed the same as he whispered, "Dear lord."

"Magnificent, isn't she?" They both jumped as Hayes came up between them and put his arms over their shoulders. Nodding to the woman on display, he chuckled. "One of my guests' favourite details when they come here."

"I... I can see why," Mary stammered, trying not to blush as she saw a man pick up a piece of cheese from the woman's chest with his teeth.

"Go on," Hayes said, moving to stand in front of them. "Eat something."

Not wanting to raise suspicions, she hesitantly picked up two of the strawberries cupped in the woman's hands and ate one. It tasted like any regular old strawberry, but somehow it still felt like she was eating the forbidden fruit.

"How are my newcomers doing?" Hayes gave them a shrewd look. "I heard you were wandering around today. Did last night not tire you out?"

A sliver of fear travelled down her spine. Did he know they were not his typical guests? That they had other reasons for attending?

She was saved from answering by John, who slid an arm around her waist and pulled her closer. "Not enough, it seems," he said, sounding far calmer than she would have managed right then. "We did only watch as it's our first time at a party like this. It's fascinating... We're having such a great time."

"You must take part!" Hayes exclaimed with a smile, but there was something calculated in his eyes she couldn't quite decipher. Maybe he did suspect something. "These parties are not nearly as entertaining if all you do is watch."

"We'll—"

Hayes interrupted John's reply, nudging them forward. "Come! Join in this game of Blind Man's Bluff."

With an apologetic glance at her, John followed the other man, bringing her along. They stopped by a group of guests playing. A woman wearing a blindfold was currently busy running her hands along the faces and bodies of a handful of men.

"Whoever is blindfolded must find their partner in the group," Hayes told them as they watched the woman's searching hands touch the men in ways that would most definitely not be allowed in polite company. "It's a fairly simple game and an easy start for newcomers like yourselves."

Mary nodded absently as she wondered what it would feel like to have someone's searching hands on her body. Or to be allowed to touch someone else like that. She had enjoyed the brief moment when her hand had caressed John's chest the previous night, even if it had only been to tease him. His skin had been warm and soft under her hands, his chest flat and hard as opposed to her own.

"I believe it's this one!" The woman with the blindfold pulled a man's head down and planted a kiss on his lips. To raucous laughter, the man put his hands on her bottom and pulled her close, deepening the kiss. With flushing cheeks, the woman stepped away and pulled her blindfold off.

Hayes laughed together with the others as he stepped forward and took the blindfold. "Well played," he chuckled. "I have two new participants. It's their first time attending, so let's be kind."

Nearly a dozen pairs of eyes turned to them. Mary waved, hating the sudden attention. At least she was wearing her mask and no one would know who she was.

"The better you know your partner, the easier this game is," Hayes said as he tied the blindfold on John. "Only lovers will recognise the distinct features of their partner."

Oh, no. Mary's eyes met Hayes through their masks, and she got the distinct impression this was a test. He didn't trust them. They should have been more careful when searching the house today. John and she were as far away from lovers as one could be. There was no way he would recognise her with a blindfold on. She nervously ate her last strawberry.

Hayes nodded to three women who dressed similarly to Mary, and they stepped forward. After spinning John around three times, he pushed him towards the group. Mary took a step forward to join the line, but Hayes pulled her back.

"Let's play a trick on him," he whispered in her ear. "Let's see if your lover can tell that you're not one of the three."

She glanced up at the tall man next to her, and he smiled down at her. It was impossible to tell if he was doing this from suspicion or simply trying to be a good host by getting them involved. But she couldn't escape the feeling that it was the former. Turning back to the scene unfolding before her, she saw John reach out to touch the first woman.

He leaned closer, his brown hair falling over his forehead, before straightening again. His hand rested on the woman's shoulder before sliding down her side to finish at her hip. With a shake of his head, he moved on to the next one. The moment his hand touched her dress, which was made of a different fabric than Mary's, he shook his head.

"I'm impressed," Hayes admitted quietly next to her. "If nothing else, he has great attention to detail."

Reaching the last woman, John ran his hand along her side, appearing focused on his task. This woman was similar in shape and stature to Mary, and her dress looked to be of the same material. With no distinguishing features that could set them apart, she couldn't imagine how John would ever be able to tell it wasn't her.

"She's not here." John straightened, shocking her. How did he do that? "My partner is not among these women."

"Well done!" Hayes grinned, then as John was about to remove the blindfold, he said, "No, keep it on. One more time, but this time, she will be one of five."

John nodded.

Hayes directed four other women—one of them the third from the previous lineup—and Mary to stand before John before he spun the other man around again. John swayed lightly on his feet before he stepped towards the group. Her throat felt dry as she watched him touch the first two women in the line. Finally, he reached her, and she stared up at him, taking in the square set of his jaw and the faint stubble that darkened his cheeks. In trying to follow the appearance of the other men present, he had not shaved that morning. He'd left his jacket and cravat off, leaving him in his waistcoat and shirt, with the top buttons undone.

Placing his hand on her shoulder to know her position, he stepped closer and bent down. With his head next to hers, she could feel his hot breath on her neck. She shivered slightly as his hand dropped from her shoulder to follow the contour of her body. His knuckles brushed the outside of her breast through the thin layer of her gown, and she almost gasped as her body tingled in response. Finally, his hand came to rest on her hip, his palm burning her through the fabric.

Lifting his head, but leaving his hand on her hip, he said, "Here."

Hayes had his arms crossed over his chest as he watched them. "If you believe you have found your lover, you must kiss them," he said with a sly smile.

Nervous excitement and dismay bubbled up inside her, mixing until she couldn't tell which one was the more prevalent. Was this to be her first kiss? With a man who would rather toss her out a window? Even with a mask and blindfold on, she could see the frown on John's face, but he quickly smoothed out his features.

Bending his head, he stopped a hair's breadth from her mouth. Was he doubting his choice? His hand at her hip gripped her a little tighter and her lips parted on a quivering breath.

She thought she might burst from the nervous anticipation when his lips brushed over hers. A brief whisper of a kiss, but it rooted her to the spot. His lips returned with increased pressure and her heart beat quicker for every moment they kissed. Lifting his head, his face was unreadable, his breathing slightly irregular. Hers was no better, and for a moment she had forgotten their audience. There had only been the two of them and the soft pressure of his lips against hers.

The booing of a few of their fellow guests quickly reminded her they were not alone.

"Is that meant to be a kiss?" Hayes said with a laugh. "Come on, man. Do it properly. Don't be shy. You've seen a lot worse here."

A muscle twitched in John's jaw, but before she could say that he didn't need to respond to their hazing, his mouth was back on hers. A fire ignited low in her belly as his tongue stole across her lips to deepen the kiss. His hand on her hip pulled her a little closer and her hands involuntarily buried in the hair at the back of his head. Suddenly, her body was aflame. Her skin felt too hot, and she wanted him closer, wanted the kiss to never end.

Kissing was nothing like she had imagined. It was bliss. It was chaos. It was an ember in the pit of her stomach, glowing hotly, burning warmer with every stroke of his tongue.

Only the laughter, scattered applause, and cheering brought her back to her senses. What was she doing? Tearing herself from the enticing sensation that was her first kiss, she turned around to face Hayes. John's hand remained on her waist to keep their pretence up as he pulled his blindfold off.

Their host bent his head in appreciation, a grin on his face. "Well done," he said. "During all my time, I've seen no one quite so quick—nor quite so certain—in finding their lover."

Her cheeks heated at the description of her as John's lover, and she glanced up at his profile. How had he recognised her? As an agent at the Rose Agency, she could only assume he had an excellent eye for details. Only he could not see during the game. She frowned.

"Thank you for the game," John said, handing the blindfold over to the next guest. "I believe we will take a moment for some refreshments."

"Naturally." Hayes moved over and bowed slightly at the waist. "Once you're ready, please come and join in any other game."

With his hand at the small of her back, John steered her over to the refreshment table and picked up a glass each. Handing her one, he took a large gulp of his own. Had the experience been so bad he had to drown the memory in the alcoholic punch?

She took a sip of her own glass and winced, still finding the concoction far too strong. But she was thirsty, so she continued drinking with small, measured sips.

"I'm sorry you had to do that," she mumbled when John had not said a word for several minutes.

He glanced down at her. "It could not be helped. We need to preserve our cover. I hope..." He cleared his throat. "I hope I was not too forceful."

Her lips tingled as she remembered the pressure of his lips against hers, and she shook her head. No. It had been perfect. She couldn't have dreamed of a better first kiss. Well, other than maybe not having it in front of a bunch of strangers. And maybe not with a man who was in love with her friend. The reminder kicked her off her high and her mood instantly plummeted.

"It was my first," she admitted quietly.

"I... Hell, Mary." He dragged a hand through his wavy brown hair. "I'm sorry."

For some reason, the fact that he apologised made it worse. A familiar burning behind her eyelids made her turn away from him. How foolish she was. It was only a kiss. It meant nothing.

"Let's take another stroll around the rooms," she said. "Maybe Jane will be in attendance tonight."

He followed her as she moved through the room, passing the group playing Blind Man's Bluff, and entering the next one. A familiar laugh made her halt. Twisting her head around, she found the owner, and even with the mask on, she recognised the familiar build and dark hair of their friend. John had stopped as well, and they shared a look.

"Is that Dash?" he said under his breath.

"I believe so."

People who were relative strangers to them in London were unlikely to recognise them, but their good friend Anthony 'Dash' Dashcombe was almost definitely going to.

"Bloody hell." John turned his back to the group of people where Dash stood, and she followed suit.

"What do we do?" she hissed.

"I don't know. Let's go to our room for now and we'll come up with a plan."

With a last glance at the handsome rake, they fled the room.

~~~~~~

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

2.7M 91.8K 23
When the arrogant stranger Bess is forced to marry unexpectedly becomes a duke, she'll find herself at odds with her growing feelings as he hunts for...
4.3K 111 35
Catherine Shaw, 26, lives in the countryside of England. She has been living with her aunt after the death of her parents. William Benwick, 28, moved...
1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...
98.5K 4.1K 15
He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce an heir. Giving up being a rake will be...