The Queen's Champion

By Anaklusmos14

Percy is betrayed by the person he trusted most. Not what you expect, you'll see. Lost, he vanished without a... More

The Betrayal
Mystery Man
The Council
A New Friend
Rescue Mission
Pit Stop In Hell
Captured
Admissions and Amazons
The Son of Neptune
Love?
The Seven
Greeks and Romans
New Family
Good Ol' Hercules
Welcome To Tartarus
Dead Friends and Frenemies
Choices
Let's Get The Fudge Outta Here
Doors of Death
The Return
Newest Huntress
The Original Mount Olympus
The Battle
Grief
Old Friends
Suspicions
The Army of Light
Reunions At Camp
Start of War
Defending Home
Trouble Ahead
Traitors And Titans
Atlantis
Date Night
Wisdom's Daughter Stands Alone
The Lords Of Time
Time To Party
Epilogue

Out In The Open

43.2K 685 496
By Anaklusmos14

Ch.7

Artemis arrived on Olympus after spending the afternoon comforting Thalia and a very distraught Chloe. Artemis had forbidden Phoebe from leaving the infirmary tent. Artemis wasn't sure if Thalia would attack her again or not. Part of her couldn't blame Thalia. The truth was that most of the hunters were angry with Phoebe. Most of them actually liked Percy and knew he didn't deserve what she had said to him. They knew what he had been through and appreciated the work he had done to bring them new sisters. A few of the youngest hunters were comtemplating whether or not the hunt was the best place for them to be. They hated men but did not want to be apart of a group that treated the man who saved their lives so badly.

Artemis approached the throne room on Olympus nervously. Her father had called a council meeting but Hermes didn't know what it was about. Artemis was a little worried about Hera. If she knew what had happened she might blow up in the meeting. That would open up a whole other bag of problems.

While Hera made Artemis a little uneasy, she truly feared what Poseidon would do if his son disappeared again and Artemis' hunters were to blame. Artemis steeled her nerves and pushed the throne room doors open.

The first thing Artemis noticed was Hera sending a murderous glare in her direction. It was clear she knew what happened. Artemis then looked at Poseidon but he seemed fine. While it was a temporary relief, Artemis knew Poseidon may lose it if word came out about what happened.

"Good, now that Artemis is here, we can begin." Zeus announced.

Before he could continue, Hera spoke up, "I have something to announce before anything else is addressed."

Everyone seemed surprised but looked at Hera and waited for her to continue.

Hera turned to Poseidon, "Poseidon, when I told you that I was Percy's patron, that wasn't the whole truth." She said calmly.

Both Zeus and Poseidon looked at Hera suspiciously.

Hera sighed, "The truth is I actually adopted Percy a couple years ago."

Poseidon stood up angrily, "How dare you adopt my son without my permission?" He yelled.

Hestia stood from her throne, "Brother, it was my suggestion that Hera adopt Percy. After he lost his mother, Percy was lost in depression. Both Hera and I tried our best to help him but Hera was the one to finally break through to him. Percy and Hera developed a true mother and son relationship. Although you should have been told, it was Percy's decision. Ever since then he has become better and better each day. Without Hera, Percy may never have recovered." Hestia said calmly.

Poseidon stared at Hestia with wide eyes. He sat back on his throne seemingly deep in thought. After a couple minutes he turned back to Hera, "Alright sister, I appreciate what you've done for my son. While I'm not happy that I wasn't informed, it is Percy's decision and if this is what he wants then I will not stand in the way."

Hera smiled gratefully at Poseidon who gave her a small smile back.

"Why was I not consulted? You are my wife! How dare you adopt a son without my permission?" Zeus yelled at his wife.

Hera's eyes widened before they narrowed dangerously, "Excuse me? I can adopt anyone I want. How many demigods have you had over the centuries? Instead of being like you, I didn't cheat on you and have a demigod. I simply grew close to one and have every right to make him my son if I want." She hissed back at Zeus.

Zeus eyes widened, "Why would you not inform me of something like this?" He asked in a less angry tone.

Hera laughed, "Did you inform me about your daughter Lily? No, you didn't. But yet, thanks to Percy, instead of trying to harm the child as I might have a few years ago, I sent Percy to rescue her."

Zeus' seemed taken aback, "What do you mean rescue?" He asked nervously.

"She was about to be sold to a pedophile by the girl's stepfather. Her mother died a year ago and the child was abused and about to be sold by her stepfather. I sent Percy to rescue her. He and Hades' son Nico picked her up today. Percy killed the stepfather after he saw what the man had done to her and what he planned. He and Nico brought her to Artemis and her hunters where I believe she has found a new home." Hera explained.

Zeus looked at his wife in shock, "You sent him to save her?" He asked disbelievingly.

Hera scoffed , "Yes. While I am certainly not pleased you couldn't keep it in your pants, yet again, Percy showed me that the child is not at fault. My son has changed my thoughts about demigods, so instead of being upset I think you should be thanking him for changing my views."

Zeus sat in shocked silence before nodding slowly, "Yes, I believe you are right. I see Perseus has been a good influence on you. Where is Perseus? I believe he should be rewarded for saving my daughter."

Hera shook her head, "Not just your daughter, he also saved Athena's daughter yesterday, another new member of Artemis' hunt. Although after today I'm not sure if she will stick around, she is rather fond of Percy after he rescued her."

Athena's eyes widened, "He saved my daughter?" Athena assumed Percy would never want anything to do with her children again.

Hera nodded, "Yes, and being the selfless man he is, he told both of your children he was sent by their parent to rescue them instead of crediting himself like most would. But as for Percy's whereabouts, even I am not positive at the moment."

Everyone looked at Hera strangely.

"What do you mean you don't know? Did something happen to Percy?" Poseidon asked worriedly.

Hera narrowed her eyes at Artemis, "Why don't you ask Artemis? It was her hunter that did it. Five years of pulling Percy out of his depression lost in two visits to her hunter's camp." Hera sneered at Artemis who was wishing she could slip into a hole in her throne.

Poseidon's eyes darkened immediately, "What happened?" He growled toward Artemis.

Artemis looked at Poseidon nervously before steeling her nerves, "After Percy brought my father's demigod to camp, one of my hunters yelled at him for the death of my last lieutenant, Zoe. Percy already blamed himself for her death and he vanished from camp shortly after." Artemis said not meeting Poseidon's eyes.

Poseidon looked at Hera, "And how do you know what happened if he vanished?

"Percy came to Olympus to tell me he couldn't rescue demigods for a while. He wouldn't tell me why but I knew he was upset. I managed to look into his memories as he wasn't focused when he was there. I saw what the hunter said to him and the effect it had on him. When he noticed I looked into his mind he vanished. I haven't heard from him since then, which was earlier today." Hera said dejectedly.

Poseidon stood from his throne, "Which hunter was it? I don't care what you say Artemis, your hunter will pay for her words." He growled.

"She is already in the infirmary. Thalia nearly killed her when she found out what happened. I will not let you kill my hunter regardless of how stupid her actions may have been." Artemis snapped back, gaining back some of her nerve.

Poseidon's eyes flashed dangerously, "My son has had enough hardships in his life. I don't care if this starts a war, your hunter will pay for what she has done. I will give you a week to find my son and fix this or I don't care about the consequences, I will kill every hunter you have until I find the right one." Poseidon said with a dangerous calm to his voice.

The whole council stared in shock at Poseidon's words. He was never one to make empty threats and they all knew how much he loved his son.

Before Artemis could reply Zeus spoke up, "Perseus needs to be found. We have more problems than Artemis' hunter. We believe the next great prophecy is coming to pass." Zeus announced grimly before turning to Athena.

Athena nodded and stood, "As all of you remember, our peace didn't last long after the first Titan War. It seems our peace will be even shorter this time around. Giants are rumored to be rising. We believe Gaia is attempting to wake and plans to wage war against Olympus again."

The whole council stood in shocked silence. Eventually Poseidon spoke, "Have you deciphered what the meaning of the prophecy could be?"

Athena nodded, "We think we know what some of it means, while some parts are still unclear. There will obviously be seven demigods in the prophecy that will anwser the call to fight the giants along with their parents. We learned today from Hades that Thanatos is missing. We believe Gaia plans on opening death's doors, releasing some of the worst monsters in Tartarus and making them impossible to kill until Thanatos is found." Athena announced before her expression turned grim, "We think we need to unite the two camps. We think foes bearing arms to the doors of death refers to Romans and Greeks uniting in the fight against Gaia and the Giants."

"But they'll massacre each other." Hephaestus said speaking up to the shock of most Olympians.

Hera stood, "I may know a way to help the camps come together."

Everyone except Artemis looked at her expectantly. Artemis felt her stomach twist painfully as she knew what was coming.

"We need a child of both Rome and Greece; someone who has been in both camps and gained the trust and respect of each group." Hera announced.

"No such demigod exists." Zeus replied.

"That's not true. Perseus is both Roman and Greek. I believe Artemis knows this as well. We are not sure how, but when Percy's mother saw Poseidon, she saw him as a mix of both aspects. Perseus is a Greek and a Roman. He spent a few months at Camp Jupiter when he first left Camp Half Blood. Hestia and I thought he might be more comfortable there but he decided it was too much like Camp Half Blood and didn't want the close relationships that develop at camp. While he was there, he and Jason Grace fought off Lycaon and his pack when they ambushed Lupa and her pack. Perseus is well respected in camp by both Lupa and the legionnaires. They do not know him as Percy, but as Blake, so it's not the simplest plan but I think he is the key to uniting Greeks and Romans." Hera explained. When she finished her expression was pained. She had no wish to send her son into another war after all he had been through but she knew he was the key to the prophecy.

Everyone was too stunned to speak. They all looked at Poseidon who grew a sudden interest in the floor by his throne.

"How was that possible?" Athena asked confused.

Poseidon shook his head, "I honestly don't know. I had intended on remaining in my Greek aspect which is what I was when we met but she was a very special woman. She managed to bring both my aspects together. I had hoped that Percy could go through life as a Greek."

Everyone nodded numbly to Poseidon's explanation.

"So what do we do now? Artemis' hunter has shattered Percy again. Will he even be able to lead them into a war? We all know his fatal flaw is loyalty and his is beyond all others. The burden of the deaths he's seen weighs heavily on him. He might not be strong enough to handle more." Hermes asked worriedly.

Artemis shook her head, "You're wrong Hermes. Percy is the strongest man I have ever met. He may wear his heart on his sleeve but he will answer the call. There is little doubt he is the greatest demigod hero to ever live. He won't stand by when Olympus and demigods are at risk."

Everyone looked at Artemis in shock.

"Did you just call Percy a man?" Aphrodite asked smirking at Artemis.

Artemis glared at her, "Percy is my friend. I know him well enough to know he is worthy of the title while few others are."

"That doesn't solve our problem though. We still need to find him." Athena said.

"We will find him. He may be hurting but he loves his family too much to stay away for long. Have faith in Perseus. He has never vanished without letting at least myself or Hera knows where he is." Hestia said speaking up.

"So what is the plan exactly? We can't just bring the camps together and expect Percy to be able to keep the peace." Hermes asked.

"I think an exchange of leaders would be best. Although Percy is still most likely the leader of Camp Half Blood, I think we should send someone who has been there over the past five years. My suggestion would be sending Hades' son Nico to Camp Jupiter while sending Jason Grace to Camp Half Blood. Percy can help Hades' son get adjusted to Camp Jupiter and act as a mediator when the camps come together. I can take the memories of both Jason and Nico and return them after they have gained the other camp's trust." Hera explained.

The council sat silently, thinking of the plan laid out by Hera. Zeus broke everyone out of their reveries.

"All those in favor of Hera's plan?" He asked.

Fourteen hands rose.

"Very well, Athena will develop the details of the plan while we work on locating Perseus. We will meet again in a week to discuss when the plan will be implemented. For now, council dismissed." Zeus announced.

Most Olympians flashed out but a few remained behind. Poseidon stood from his throne and looked at Artemis.

"You say Percy is your friend? Then fix your hunter's mistake. My threat still remains. Except it's not a threat it's a promise." He stated coldly before vanishing into sea breeze.

Artemis paled at the tone in which Poseidon spoke. She didn't allow herself to get pushed around but Poseidon was a powerful enemy to have. She knew she needed to find Percy. She needed to fix what Phoebe had done but she also wanted to see Percy because she wanted to help him. She didn't like to admit it but he really was her only friend. Her hunters were too formal. Percy was the only one who wasn't afraid of her in some way. He didn't let her push him around while still remaining respectful. He really was the only perfect man out there she thought.

Artemis was brought out of her thought by a gentle hand touching her arm. She looked up to find Hestia smiling at her.

"Thinking about Percy?" She asked softly.

Artemis' eyes widened before she sighed and nodded, "I wish I knew where he was. I need to fix what Phoebe did. He didn't deserve what she said to him." She said sadly.

Hestia smiled in response, "Are you sure you don't know where he would be?"

Artemis looked at Hestia confused before her eyes widened in realization and she smiled, "Thank you Hestia." She said gratefully before she left in a flash. Hestia shook her head smiling at her niece's empty throne.

Artemis appeared on the same cliff where Percy had brought her. She looked around for Percy but her face fell when she saw he was nowhere to be found. She walked to the cliff where she had sat with Percy and looked up at the stars sadly. After a minute she was going to flash out but she was distracted by a noise down below at the bottom of the cliff. She looked down before jumping back as water shot up the cliff. When she looked again, her jaw dropped. Percy was standing in front of her, his shirt off and only a pair of swimming trunks on. Her breath hitched and she blushed a deep shade of crimson when she looked at Percy. He literally had the body of a god. His body was muscular but not overly so. His muscles were toned and skin tanned. A six pack adorned his midsection.

When Percy noticed Artemis, his eyes widened before he also blushed. He quickly grabbed his shirt and put it on before turning back to Artemis.

"What are you doing here Lady Artemis?" He said in an emotionless tone.

Artemis frowned at his tone, "I was looking for you Percy. Can we please talk?" She asked hopefully.

A pained look crossed his face but he nodded. Artemis walked up to him and grabbed his hand and led him over to the cliff where she sat down. Percy sat down next to her as he stared down at the sea. As Percy looked down into the sea, he noticed Artemis never let go of his hand. He wanted to pull it away but wasn't sure how she would take it so he ignored it.

After a minute Artemis finally spoke, "Percy, do you know that you're my only real friend?" She asked quietly.

Percy looked at her surprised, "That's not true. What about your hunters?"

Artemis shook her head, "The only one that's close is Thalia. Everyone else is too formal to be friends. I love all my hunters but they're not my friends. If anything they're more like daughters than anything else. My only real friend is you."

Percy looked at her oddly but didn't speak. He didn't know why she was saying this.

"Percy, the truth is I've never really had many friends over my life. I don't want to lose my only friend over something that isn't true. I know what Phoebe said but she wasn't right." Artemis said softly.

Percy tensed a bit. Artemis squeezed his hand softly. Surprisingly, Percy relaxed a bit. He didn't know how to respond to her words.

After a minute he spoke, "I know you don't agree with her but she is right about people dying around me. I don't want to get anyone else killed."

Artemis shook her head, "Percy, I know why you think that, but have you ever thought about how many people would have died without you around. You've saved more lives than you will ever know. Without you, millions would have died if the Titans had won. You only think about the deaths and you forget the good things you have done. Yes, some of your friends have died but a lot more would be dead if not for you."

Percy looked at Artemis surprised, he thought about her words but it still didn't heal the pain he felt when he thought about Zoe and the rest of his friends.

After a minute he sighed, "I know I can't change anything, I'm just tired of losing people I care about. I wish I didn't have to be a demigod. I could have lived oblivious to everything and not be put in spots where I have to decide whether someone lives or dies."

Artemis sat thinking about how to respond to Percy. She looked at him and realized she was still holding his hand. She thought about pulling her hand back but something about it comforted her. She felt happier being around Percy and actually liked the feeling of her hand in his.

"Percy, do you know that Zoe was the happiest I'd ever seen her right before she died? She was happy to give her life to save me but she was also happy because of you. You showed her that there are men out there who don't hurt women. Yes, she hated men for most of her life because of Heracles but it made her bitter and less happy. She loved her life in the hunt but she died in peace knowing that not every man was like him and that one of them was her friend." Artemis explained softly.

Percy was silent for a while. Artemis looked over at him to see a tear falling down his cheek. She reached over and softly wiped it away with her thumb.

"She didn't deserve to die. She might not have even been there if not for Annabeth and her lies." Percy said bitterly.

Artemis nodded, "You're right. But if it wasn't Annabeth then it would have been someone else. Percy, there will always be evil people in the world. The only reason so many people get to live happily is because there are people who are willing to stand up for what is right. To defend the people who can't defend themselves. Zoe was one of those people and she was proud to be that kind of person. You are one of those people. Without people like you and Zoe the world would not be the place it is today. Yes there are still bad things but people like you and Zoe keep those things at bay and protect those that can't protect themselves."

Percy stared at Artemis for a minute. Slowly his face morphed into the smallest of smiles at her words.

"You're a good friend Artemis." Percy said quietly.

Artemis looked at him and smiled, "As are you Percy. One I am very grateful to have. Please don't disappear again. Too many people will be hurt without you in their lives, myself included."

Percy's smile grew a bit and he nodded, "I won't. I'm sorry to vanishing from your camp today. Did my Mom tell you what happened?"

Artemis shook her head, "Your friend Nico went to look for you and saw Phoebe berating you. When he came back and told Thalia, she nearly killed Phoebe."

Percy's eyes widened, "Is she alright?" He asked worriedly.

Artemis looked at Percy is shock before she smiled, "She will be. Luckily Thalia managed to control herself for the rest of the day. She's still furious but she's mostly just upset. She thinks you'll disappear again. By the way, Hera told your father and the rest of the council about her adopting you."

Percy's jaw dropped, "How did my Dad and Zeus take it?"

"Well Poseidon was angry at first but Hestia calmed him down. Zeus was mad she kept it a secret but relented at the mention of all his demigods. He also wants to thank you for saving Lily." Artemis told him.

"Good, at least that's over with." Percy said relieved.

Artemis nodded, "So what were you doing down there?" She asked gesturing toward the sea.

Percy shrugged, "Just walking on the sea floor thinking."

Artemis nodded, "It must be nice to be able see the ocean from there."

Percy smiled, "Do you trust me Artemis?"

Artemis looked at Percy strangely but nodded.

Percy's smile grew. Suddenly a pillar of water rose from the sea, stopping right in front of them. Percy stood up, pulling Artemis up with him. He took a step onto the pillar of water before Artemis spoke up.

"What are you doing Percy?" Artemis asked nervously.

"You said you trust me right? Then trust me to do this." He answered as he pulled Artemis onto the pillar of water with him. Artemis looked around frantically in a panic.

"Percy, I'm a daughter of Zeus. I can't enter the sea with Poseidon's permission." Artemis explained.

Percy shook his head, "My permission is enough. My father wouldn't risk hurting me anyway."

"I can't breathe underwater though." She argued.

"Trust me Artemis. I would never let you get hurt." Percy said smiling.

Artemis was nervous but blushed a bit at Percy's words. The water slowly descended back into the sea with Artemis and Percy on top. When they reached the sea, they softly hit the water. Percy allowed himself to sink to the bottom, dragging Artemis with him. When they reached the bottom Percy enclosed them in an air bubble. Percy willed Artemis' clothes to dry.

Artemis looked around in wonder, "This is so beautiful Percy."

Percy smiled and pulled Artemis forward by the hand. After a minute of walking, they came to a spot where moonlight beautifully illuminated the reef and the sea life inhabitating it. Fish circled around them as they sat down to admire the reef in front of them.

"Wow, I can't believe you can come and see this whenever you want." Artemis said quietly.

Percy gave her a smile and nodded, "So did Lily end up joining the hunt?" He asked curiously.

Artemis smiled, "Yes, she will be a good addition to the hunters. I'm not sure if Chloe will end up staying though." She finished sadly.

Percy gave her a questioning look which was met by Artemis' shoulders slumping.

"She doesn't want to be around Phoebe. Actually most hunters are rather angry with her at the moment. I'm not sure what to do with Phoebe. She is one of my most loyal hunters but I can't keep her around if she is going to drive away my new hunters with her actions." Artemis explained sadly.

Percy frowned, "I will talk to Chloe and some of the newer girls. I'll make sure they don't leave."

Artemis stared at Percy for a minute as he looked out into the sea. She looked into his sea green eyes with streaks of brown and noticed how much you could tell about him by his eyes alone. She could see the hurt and pain he carried but also the fiery determination to protect the things that matter to him. She also couldn't help but notice how beautiful they were. They seemed to fit him perfectly. Artemis laid her head on his shoulder as she turned her gaze out into the sea.

Percy's eyes widened when he felt Artemis lay her head on his shoulder. He looked at her to find her eyes closed, hiding her beautiful silver eyes from his view. He couldn't help but smile when he looked at her face. It was so peaceful. None of the usual stress or stern features that usually adorned her face were visible; just the beautiful curves of her face. Percy couldn't think of anything that would make her more beautiful.

After a minute, he noticed that her breathing had become regular and she had fallen asleep. Percy reached down and gently picked her up bridal style and disappeared in a flash of flames. He reappeared outside her palace. When he walked up to the front door it opened on it's own like it recognized its mistress. Percy carried her inside and found her bedroom. He carefully tucked her into her bed before stepping back. He smiled when her face contorted into a small smile. Percy flashed himself out onto the street in front of her house. He decided he would find his new palace. When he turned he noticed a new small palace across from Artemis'. He smiled to himself thinking he could have been stuck with a worse neighbor. He made his way into his palace, planning to visit his mother the next day before going to the hunter's camp to speak to Thalia and Chloe and hopefully make his peace with Phoebe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 21K 31
Percy Jackson has been betrayed by everyone he cares about, everyone he loves- even Annabeth, the one person he thought he could always count on. So...
76.4K 1.1K 79
Sequel to The Silver Ring. Percy Jackson is finally having a normal life. Being married to Artemis but Zeus hating him, he counts himself lucky that...
666K 7.3K 34
After the second giant war, the Seven and leaders of both camps have been made partially immortal to train future generations of demigods. Soon a new...
115K 3K 15
This is a Percy Jackson fanfiction. It is a Thercy (Thanatos/Percy) story. I am just trying this out. Tell me what thou think and I'll continue it. I...