Mated

By AlexaPhoenix23

I thought I could hide forever, but fate had other plans. I can't remember what it feels like to be happy. I... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
To be continued

Chapter 7

47 1 0
By AlexaPhoenix23

Hunter's POV

What the hell just happened?

I watched her walk into the café before pulling away.

Running through the events of last night, trying to find out what I did wrong.

I was careful.

I ignored my instincts and wolf and didn't mark her. I knew it would freak her out. She didn't know what I was yet.

When I woke up this morning and she was gone, I was worried she'd left.

But she'd stayed.

So why did she freak out when I came downstairs?

Groaning, I parked my truck. Going inside the packhouse, every intension of hiding in my office until I could visit her again.

Too soon and she will think I'm a stalker.

"Hunter, sweetie is that you?"

I looked up to find my mother watching me with a worried expression.

"What is it mother?"

"I was just wandering if Zoey was alright, she seemed to leave rather quickly."

The mention of my mate had both my wolf and I paying attention.

I had told my family I had found my mate, but I never told them her name...

"What did you do mother?"

Her eyebrows furrowed as she glared at me.

"What do you mean?"

Anna walked out behind her, rolling her eyes.

"She didn't do anything, except ask her for a grandchild, talk about the two of you having sex, oh and dad started arranging the ceremony to welcome her to the family."

Anna lists off everything on her fingers, her eyes on our mother the whole time.

A growl left me, causing both of their gazes to shift to me.

"You did what!"

With a huff my mother shook her head.

"I don't see what the problem is, do you not want to give me grandchildren?"

"The problem is that she doesn't know we're werewolves."

Both of them paled as I spoke.

"As far as she knows, we've been on one date."

"She was in the packhouse, I thought... I thought you'd told her." my mother whimpered.

With a sigh, I wrapped my arms around her.

As much as I want to be angry at them, I know they would never do it on purpose.

My mother will be blaming herself enough for the both of us.

"What are we going to do?" she whispered into my shoulder.

"I have no idea."

By the next day, my wolf and I were both anxious to talk to our mate.

Groaning I grabbed my keys and headed to find Zoey.

No more waiting.

When I arrived at the café, the seats were all empty.

Seth stood at the counter, his eyes on his phone.

As the bell attached to the door rang, Seth's gaze shot up. widening as his eyes met mine.

Ignoring the glare, I walked up to him.

"Is Zoey here?"

His eyebrow rose as he shook his head.

"It's her day off, she's not here."

My hope at seeing my mate began to fade, my wolf whining.

"Do you know where she lives?"

"There is no way I'm telling a creepy stalker where she lives, you're insane."

My wolf growled, but I respected Seth a little more. Not only was he standing up to me but he's protecting her.

"I understand, can you tell her I stopped by and give her this?" I asked, handing him my card.

If he won't give me her information at least I can give her mine.

Nodding, he put the card in his pocket as I left the café.

What are we going to do?

Find her! my wolf growled.

We can't just follow her scent to her house.

Yes, we can.

It will freak her out. She already thinks we're insane. We don't want her thinking we're a stalker.

With a growl he blocked me out.

Walking down the busy high street I tried in vain to take my mind off of my mate.

Why didn't I wake up earlier?

If I had, I could have just told her the truth.

I had planned to tell her last night, but the view of her half naked under the moon distracted me.

Why did I have to be so stupid?

The sound of laughter had me stopping.

Something was drawing me to the sound.

Searching, I found Zoey playing with a boy in the park. The boy looked no older than three as he struggled to throw a frisbee further than a few feet.

Zoey was showing him how to throw the plastic disc, a wide smile on her face.

She looked happy, teaching him. Whenever he failed, she just smiled and picked up the frisbee.

The boys dark hair and sun kissed skin matched hers perfectly and it occurred to me he's probably her son.

Who's his father? My wolf growled.

That's a good question.

My feet moved towards her, without me intending to.

Her eyes flew wide as she saw me. Pushing the boy behind her she straightened up, her eyes narrowing on me as I got closer.

"What do you want Hunter?"

"I just want to talk."

Her eyes shifted to the boy, who was trying to get free of her grip and back to his frisbee.

"We have nothing to talk about." She said, picking up the toddler, resting him on her hip as she grabbed their things.

"Please, just let me explain. There's something here, I know you can feel it. All I'm asking for is five minutes."

"There's nothing here Hunter. It was a onetime thing, that's all."

My chest tightened as my wolf whined. Her eyes met mine again before she turned and started to walk away.

This can't be it.

Hanging my head, my eyes fell on a bright red frisbee.

Smiling, I grabbed it and ran to catch up to my mate.

I will get her to talk to me.

I watched as she crossed the road, heading up the high street before turning down a pathway and up a flight of stairs and into an apartment on the second floor.

Following her up, I knocked on the door.

Almost instantly, she answered, a smile on her face until her eyes met mine and the smile faded.

"Did you follow me home? I'm so calling the cops."

Ignoring her protests I walked inside, moving around her I spotted the little boy sitting on the floor.

Kneeling down I gave him the frisbee.

A wide smile covered his face as he looked up at me.

"You found it." he cheered.

He took the frisbee to Zoey, holding it up to her.

"He found it".

Zoey smiled at him, her fingers pinching his cheek.

"Yes, he did little man, what do you say?"

Turning to me he yelled a quick thank you before running out of the room.

"Cute kid." I whispered, my gaze still on the door he ran through.

"Yeah, Lucas is a sweetheart."

Sighing she started packing scattered toys away. Her eyes avoiding my gaze.

"What are you doing here Hunter? You understand how weird this is right?"

Nodding, I sighed. My hand running through my hair.

"I know, but I didn't know when I'd see you again. Running into you was an accident. I gave Seth my number, hoping you'd call me."

She looked unconvinced as she watched me pace her apartment.

"I swear, I had no idea you'd meet my family. They can be intense."

Scoffing she raised an eyebrow at me.

"Intense? Your mother asked me if I could have her grandson and name him after your father."

Biting my lip, my head fell in my hands.

"I am so sorry, they're excited. I've been single for a long time. I think they lost hope."

Her eyes softened as she sat down on the small sofa.

"And the biting?"

Freezing I turned to her.

Biting?

"Biting?"

"They said you should've bitten me to claim ownership of me."

My eyes widened, had they really said that?

Why couldn't they just be a normal family.

With a sigh I sat beside her.

"Not ownership, and not 'biting' a mark is just a term we, my family use. It's like a symbol, a tattoo, jewellery or something like that. To show you're dating them and no one else."

Zoey stayed silent, thinking through my answer.

Silently I sent a prayer to the moon goddess that it worked. I hated lying to my mate, but it was as close to the truth as I could get without explaining werewolves.

And I don't want to risk her thinking I'm crazy, so that conversation will have to wait.

"Like a promise ring?"

Nodding, I waited for her to continue.

"I guess that makes sense, but your family are crazy. I believe you, but I don't think I can do that again."

My heart sank as she spoke, her eyes avoiding mine.

Her hands balled into fists, and I knew she didn't want this either.

"I promise that won't happen again. Just give me one chance, to prove to you that you can trust me."

Her eyes met mine, searching.

After a pause, she whispered.

"Okay, one chance and that's it."

Releasing the breath, I didn't know I had been holding, I pulled her into my lap. Wrapping my arms around her.

Her body tensed for a second before she relaxed in my arms.

Lucas came running in, his smile widening as he saw us. With a run up, he jumped on Zoey.

"Group hug."

Laughing Zoey pulled him against her, kissing his forehead. Giggling, his eyes widened as she started tickling him.

His eyes flew to me as he yelled. "Help."

Laughing I picked him up, pulling him from Zoey before holding him above her head, out of reach.

Lucas still giggling in my grip as he hung in the air.

"So not fair." Zoey whined, trying to reach him.

Huffing, her eyes flew to mine, a menacing smile creeping on her face.

She lunged for me, her hands on my chest as she tickled me.

Falling, I held Lucas up, so that he fell on me and didn't get hurt.

As soon as I was down, Zoey jumped on me.

"Get him." She screamed at the toddler.

Smiling Lucas began tickling me as well.

"Admit defeat."

"Never." I growled.

Lifting her, I laid her on the floor, my hands copying hers.

Giggling, she squirmed under our grip.

"Admit defeat."

Still giggling she shook her head, trying in vain to escape my grip.

"Okay, you win." she yelled as Lucas jumped on her.

Cheering he jumped off, running out of the room.

Holding a handout, I lifted her up. Sitting us both on the sofa.

"You have a cute kid." I whispered as my breathing steadied.

Her eyes flew to me, and she opened her mouth, only to be interrupted by the doorbell.

With a sigh she unhooked herself from my grip before opening the door.

"Hi Tom." she smiled, stepping aside to let him in.

Stepping in, his arm went around her, pulling her in for a hug.

"Hey Z, is he ready?"

Nodding, Zoey left the room, a second later Lucas came in. He took one look at Tom and ran for him.

"Daddy."

My body tensed as my wolf tried to break free.

A growl slipped through my lips before I could stop it.

Tom's eyes widened, his head bowing.

"Alpha, I didn't see you there."

A werewolf...

By the scent of him, one of my packs.

Did Zoey know what he was...

What their son would become?

Before I could voice my thoughts Zoey came in, a backpack in her hand.

She hooked it over Toms shoulder, leaning into kiss Lucas on the forehead.

"Bye little man."

Tom went to hug Zoey again, but stopped as another growl slipped through my lips.

His eyes shifted between us before he smiled. With a small nod to me he left, his son in his arms.

Zoey's gaze shifted to me, her eyebrows furrowing.

My wolf began to calm, happy another man wasn't near our mate.

Zoey's phone buzzed as she closed the door.

Looking at the screen, she sighed.

"April didn't show, I have to go to work." She collected her things, before heading out the door, holding it for me.

Following her, we walked down the high street in silence.

She stopped as we reached the café, turning to me.

Biting her lip, she reached in her bag, pulling out a pen.

"Give me your hand."

Complying, I watched as she wrote on my palm.

When she was done, she smiled up at me.

"So, you don't have to follow me around next time." She whispered.

"Goodbye Hunter."

I watched her go inside, contemplating whether to follow her.

Deciding against it, I turned and headed to my truck.

Smiling as I read her number on my palm.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 110 8
This is a Dark romance, shifter wolf story. There are scenes of abuse, violence, non-consent, sex. The male lead is crazy and obsessive. For as long...
90.7K 4.4K 34
Gorgeous cover by @DNB2k16 There comes a time when you get used to the pain. You don't feel hurt nor surprised anymore. You just stop caring altogeth...
13.4M 366K 63
"Fuck, baby. You can't say things like that to me. I want to, also. Trust me." His hand snakes down my body until he enters two of his fingers into m...
5.5K 104 33
PROLOGUE Mates, simple word but have a lot of meaning behind it, it says mates were to protect each other love each other care for each other and the...