All Roads Lead to You (Trafal...

By Chaapanya

You've been with your boyfriend, Trafalgar Law, for two peaceful years. Med school is going well for him and... More

Day Off
Silence and Motion
The Hoodie
His First Happiness
Over the Spider Lilies
+1-518-555-0182
White Rabbit
One Man Army
Long Fall
Mugiwara
Freedom's Call
Clipping His Wings

Another Year of You

549 26 33
By Chaapanya

Law's POV

The day was dragging by, even though it was already noon. Law had been up by eight, using the extra time to study for a test he had today. He probably didn't need to, but there was no reason not to be over prepared. By the time 11:00am rolled around and Law sat down for his test, he was feeling pretty mentally tapped out, but managed to finish his test before anyone else. He stood and turned his paper in and then grabbed his things and left without another word. Professor Caesar was so used to this by now that he didn't even bat an eye at the grumpy young man, simply lifting a hand and giving him a twiddle of his fingers for a wave as he continued to read his book.

Law had gone straight to the lounge afterward, looking forward to a steaming cup of coffee. It wasn't nearly as good as (Y/n)'s, but it would have to do. He paused, wondering what she was up to. Probably struggling with her writing before giving up and wandering around the house with music blasting. He smirked into his cup of coffee as he sat in one of the comfortable lounge chairs and pulled out a book. She was like a cat at times, wandering around the house for ages in a daze until she found a comfy spot and curled up for hours.

"Trafalgar." A familiar voice came from the entrance about an hour after Law had settled into his book.

Law flicked his eyes up and they narrowed at the man walking towards him. "Willows."

The man was quite tall, taller than Law by a few inches, and thin and had mid length dark chestnut hair that was constantly falling into his eyes. Strange tattooed symbols adorned his fingers and his sharp jaw was covered in short stubble. There was a white bandage wrapped around his neck, as always. Most striking were this man's violet eyes, which currently stared at Law with a mixture of goodwill and cold reception. He slid his hands into the pockets of his white lab coat and raised an eyebrow.

"You're still here?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

The man chuckled. "Let me guess, you got distracted with your book and didn't check your email?" Law tilted his head curiously and so he continued. "Class was canceled. Something about Mihawk's daughter and the kitchen lighting on fire."

"That's unexpected. I could have been home an hour ago." Law sighed and closed his book, slipping it back into his bag. "What are you doing here, Isha-ya?"

"I was actually on my way out when I noticed you." Isha said, eyes gleaming as he looked ready to start something.

Isha Willows had been a close acquaintance of Law and (Y/n)'s for a few years now. At first glance, the two seemed decently close, but for anyone that paid close attention, they knew the relationship between Law and Isha was complicated. Like Law, Isha was not the type that liked to deal with unnecessary hassle and would often play nice to get ahead. However, with Law, there was certainly a bit of a strained rivalry that was present. The two were both cold and calculating, both straight A students, and both in the same major. To make things more complicated, Isha was currently dating Twili Ulan, Law's ex. Law had no interest in Twili anymore, but he wasn't heartless enough to act like the year they'd been together never happened. Isha, on the other hand, was and would often pretend like there was no history between the two at all. Whether this was to get under Law's skin or because Isha truly didn't care about the past, Law wasn't sure. Despite that, Law and Isha still managed to get along and were even often mistaken as brothers, much to both of their distaste.

He fished around in his pocket for his pack of cigarettes and pulled out his phone with them. "I heard Eustass got in a little scuffle and you played witness."

Law smirked. "I don't know if I'd call that a scuffle. More like an execution." He said, standing and following Isha outside so he could have his smoke.

A chuckle came from the flagpole of a man as he lit his cig. "The poor kid's nose got broken. Blood everywhere. Lucky me, I was in the infirmary when they dragged him in."

"They didn't take him to the ER?"

"Well if they did, it would've been reported and Eustass wouldn't be on campus anymore, now would he?" Isha blew out a cloud of smoke and shrugged. "Dunno how he got this guy to stay quiet, but I wasn't about to say anything. I cleaned him up, Eustass paid me a couple hundred, and I pretended like I didn't see anything."

"Huh maybe I should have stayed to watch the end after all." Law mused.

Isha returned his smirk. "Ah well. Your loss is my gain. Besides, I need the money more urgently anyway. Twili's birthday is coming up and I want to get her something really special."

"Ah now I get it." Law narrowed his eyes and his smirk widened.

"Get what?" Isha's voice was a low warning tone.

Law looked at Isha and raised a brow. "You want advice on what to get her."

"I think I'm quite capable without your help." Isha scoffed. He flashed a brilliant smile at Law and turned it off almost as quickly as it came. "Thanks for the offer though, real sweet that you still care for her."

"I don't. I just remember the things she likes." Lied Law, looking uninterested. "Antique sewing scissors, pink plushies, old records. Dead things. Specifically the large taxidermied white rabbit sitting on her wish list for the past three years."

Isha didn't respond, just flicked his cigarette, looking equally bored with the conversation. "Yeah, well...thanks, I guess." His tone was lazy, but he flicked a genuine look of thanks at Law before tossing his cigarette on the ground and stepping on it. "Anyway, I'd best be off. I have a few things to pick up before the event. I'll see you later."

A frown graced Law's face in confusion. "Later?"

"Hah can't believe you forgot. Go ask (Y/n) if you're that lost. I'll see you later, Law." Isha waved over his shoulder as he walked off for his car.

Law watched him go and just sighed. That guy would be as difficult as he could possibly be right up till the end. Not that Law himself made things any easier on Isha. He pulled his keys from his pocket and made his way to his own ride home. (Y/n) didn't have anywhere to be today so he drove himself to class. It was nice not having to wait for the bus.

The drive home was relaxing as soon as he got out of the city. The traffic thinned out and he was left to just cruise the rest of the way, going on autopilot for a while. Mental exhaustion pulled at him from all the studying and he found himself zoning out.

"Hey, what's your name?"

A girl with bright eyes and a wide smile stared at him, waiting for an answer. She seemed nice enough, but the grumpy boy wanted nothing to do with her. He scowled at her and turned away, shrugging her off.

"Don't be so mean!" The girl whined. She puffed out her cheeks in a pout. "I wanna know your name so we can be friends!"

"I don't wanna be your friend." The boy huffed. He turned dead eyes on the girl and wrinkled his nose. "I don't need friends."

The girl blinked at him owlishly. The boy expected her to start crying and then he'd have to deal with being scolded for it, but to his surprise the girl suddenly raised her fist and bonked him on the head.

"Ow!" The boy snapped at her, gently rubbing the spot she'd hit. "Why'd you do that?!"

"For being stupid." The girl said bluntly. She gave him a distasteful look. "Maybe you're such a grumpy idiot because you have no friends."

The boy just stared at her, shook. He was not expecting her to be so fiery all of a sudden and it took him absolutely by surprise. It didn't last long though. This boy really had no desire to be kind to her.

"So what? Who cares what you think?"

"I care and that's more important than what you think." She said and stuck her nose in the air. She gave him a mischievous smile and her eyes glittered. "Besides, you're not the boss of me so I'm gunna be your friend even if you don't like it."

The boy's eyebrow twitched. This girl was so bratty; it was getting under his skin. "You can't just decide that!"

"I can and I just did!" The girl proclaimed. She reached forward and grabbed his arm, marching off. "Come on! We're gunna get some ice cream and then I'm gunna make you a flower crown!"

"Let go! Hey! Listen to me!" The boy shouted, but the girl was having none of it. Reluctantly with a grumble, he stopped resisting and followed along.

Law focused back on the present with a start and realized he was already sitting in the driveway. He must have zoned out way too far; it was a miracle he made it home all that way without crashing. Staying in the car for a few minutes, Law rubbed his forehead and passed his hand through his hair, pulling his thoughts back together. He suddenly had a deep need to see (Y/n).

The smell of baking wafted through the house as he entered and he narrowed his eyes, making his way to the kitchen. Sure enough, a large cake sat on the kitchen counter as it cooled, a large bowl of frosting sitting next to it. (Y/n) bustled around the kitchen as she continued to cook; the dishwasher was propped open with some of the dishes already placed inside. Cleaning as she went along was definitely a habit she'd picked up from Law after he'd moved in.

"I'm home, (Y/n)-ya." Law gave his usual greeting with a little smirk. He dipped his finger into the frosting and popped it into his mouth before (Y/n) could swat at him.

"Hi, La- HEY! Stay out of that!" She exclaimed and grabbed the bowl. She shook her head and then stood on her tiptoes to give him a kiss on the jaw. "How was class?"

"Was alright. Test was easy." Law's eyes swiveled to the cake and he made a little face. "What's that for? You know I don't like bread."

(Y/n) huffed. "Cake isn't bread; we've been over this. Besides, it's not for you." She gave him a sugary smile. "I made you something else."

Out from the fridge, she pulled a tall glass cup filled with a chocolate parfait. Each layer was carefully constructed and laid out, some strawberry slices peeking through and whipped cream between the vanilla pudding and chocolate mousse. On the top was a little streamer and a color set of candles, unlit.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart." (Y/n) beamed up at him.

Law blinked and a gentle blush settled into his cheeks. He'd completely forgotten today was his birthday. With Thanksgiving break coming up and that fight he'd witnessed on campus, college had gotten so busy for him that he'd only managed to just remember their anniversary, much less his own birthday.

He looked down at (Y/n) with a genuine smile. The woman was a mess and had flour smudged on her forehead, but her eyes sparkled with joy and her smile was full of love and warmth. His heart throbbed. He was not really one for sentimental, sappy words, choosing instead to express himself through touch, but he hoped she understood how much she meant to him. Law really loved (Y/n) a lot.

"You're too good to me." Law murmured and pulled her into a tight embrace as soon as she'd put the parfait away. He leaned down and dropped a honeyed kiss on the top of her head. "I love you, (Y/n)-ya. Thank you."

~~~~~~~~~

(Y/n)'s POV

"Oh man, I wish this chicken would finish cooking." You grumbled and your stomach joined you.

You hadn't eaten today other than a few strawberries and a couple mouthfuls of whipped cream. You'd been far too busy cooking, baking, and decorating the living room to stop and just when you had a moment to breathe, you had to use it to shower and get yourself ready for the guests that would arrive soon. You were so busy, you'd nearly forgotten about the alcohol and had to send Law out to go fetch some beer and a bottle of wine from the small shop in town. Thankfully he had no complaints and was back after you finished your shower, saying he was going to have one himself and get dressed.

Law seemed so surprised about the party (and mildly irked) that it took you by surprise. You hadn't kept it a very well hidden secret; it could hardly be called a secret at all. You'd left decorations out on the coffee table all the time and had even picked up things for a cake and onigiri and an entire roasting chicken. It was the worst kept secret of all time and yet the birthday boy had been none the wiser. Med school must have been a foul creature to him this past week.

"Coming!" You called as the doorbell went off. You pulled open the door and beamed at the flaming redhead before you. "Nami!"

Nami returned your smile and gave you a hug. "Hi (Y/n)! You look lovely, as always."

"I should be saying that to you." You chuckled, looking Nami up and down. The woman was positively radiating beauty. "Did you come alone?"

"No, she dragged me along." A blonde said as he came up behind her, carrying a case of beer and a colorfully wrapped package. He gave you his usual charming grin. "It's been a little while, huh?"

Your eyes widen in glee. "Sabo?! You had time off work?!"

Sabo chuckled as you nearly tackled him into a tight hug. "Just barely. I think three days is the longest vacation I've had in years."

"And you were going to spend it lazing around. I can't believe you." Nami shook her head in disgrace. "You should have seen the way his eyes lit up when I told him about the party. 'Oh (Y/n)'s having a party for Traffy?! I'll be there in two shakes!' And then he hung up! I didn't even tell him what to bring!"

Sabo placed the beer on the kitchen island and scratched his cheek, looking a touch embarrassed. "Well you don't have to say all that, Nami. I know how you can drink so I brought more beer just in case."

Nami's eyes gleamed and a devious smile appeared on her face. "And that's the only reason I'm not charging you for stressing me out!"

"I thought it got louder in here." Law said with a smirk as he came back down the hall. He was handsomely dressed and had his usual white wool skipper atop his head. "Hi, Nami-ya. And Sabo-ya, it's been a while."

"Oh it's the birthday boy!" Sabo grinned and then chuckled when Law cringed. "How old are you now?"

"29. The years just fly by. Work keeping you?"

"Oh yeah, the boss keeps me extra busy lately. How have things been here? (Y/n) running you ragged?"

"Only at night. Med school keeps me in a deathgrip during the day." Law said with a sarcastic smirk.

"Law!" You gasped and your face flushed with embarrassment. You turned as the doorbell went off again and shot him a pointed look. "Behave yourself!"

His and Sabo's mischievous laughter followed after you, cut short by Nami who reached up and pulled their cheeks in scolding. The redhead was not having it even from Law, despite it being his birthday.

You swung the door open and another couple stood before you. The woman was a pear-shaped beauty, dressed in a frilly pink cocktail dress. Her hair was dyed half blue and half white and she had her usual magenta contacts in. Behind her towered her boyfriend, his usual icy expression only slightly warmed by his casual smirk. Sometimes you couldn't help but wonder if you were looking at a reflection of yourself and Law when these two came around.

"(Y/n)!!" Twili squealed before you even got the chance to greet her. She hugged you tight and practically bounced on her feet. "Oh my gosh, I missed you so much! We definitely have to catch up! Have some coffee one day and- OH! You should come to the Halloween party I'm throwing and-"

"Twili." Isha placed his hand on the top of her head and chuckled in amusement. "Let the woman breathe. Take five for me, sugar."

Twili just giggled. "Sorry."

"You're fine. Some high energy is just what this party needs." You laughed. Twili was exhausting, but she was so much fun to be around.

"Ugh with two serious storm clouds in one room? Don't I know it." She waved you on and grabbed Isha's hand, pulling him along. "How are you and Law? He's treating you well?"

You led them down the hall to the kitchen. "We're doing fantastic. We went out on a little date not too long ago for sushi."

"Aww how cute!" Twili turned magenta eyes up at Law as he came into sight. "Ah speak of the devil. Happy birthday, Law-rence! We brought gifts!"

Law pressed his lips into an amused look at her nickname for him. He was not unaccustomed to being granted weird ones. His eyes flicked to Isha and the two nodded at each other. "You came along, I see."

"I did say later."

"You did. Not later enough, sadly."

Isha raised an eyebrow. "I can always leave."

"Door's behind you." Law smirked, nodding in the direction he'd come.

"And miss out on giving you grief?" Isha returned Law's sarcasm full force. "I'd rather not. Wait till you see my gift."

"If it's a glitter bomb again, I'm putting you through a wall."

Isha laughed at this, a look of glee racing through his eyes. "You know (Y/n) will come after both of us if her house takes damage again. Good thing we have our body guard here."

Sabo put his hands up in defense. "Sorry, guys. I'm off the clock today. You'll just have to behave on your own, though I'm sure the girls will have no issue teaming up with (Y/n)."

Yours, Nami's, and Twili's eyes all glittered dangerously at Law and Isha. "If you break the house, we'll break your arms this time." Nami said and smiled.

Isha looked at Law in a panic. "Truce?"

"Truce." Law agreed quickly. Neither of them had the gall to fight against all three of you.

A few more people showed up, Vivi came along with Shirahoshi, both bearing gifts, as did Usopp. He brought more beer as well, much to Nami's delight. It was a good thing his birthday fell on a friday this year since the party continued on into the night as everyone ate, drank, and talked. You stayed by Law's side almost the entire time. You knew he cherished the gesture, but he was still an introvert at heart and his social battery could only take so much. You helped to keep him grounded, looping your arm around his or gently holding his hand. He said nothing about it, but you could tell he really appreciated it. If nothing else, you just wanted him to have a really happy birthday.

~~~~~~~~~~

Law's POV

Law frowned, holding the phone up to his ear as he stood on the porch and leaned against the railing. He wanted to talk to someone in particular since it was a special day, but they weren't picking up. That alone made him worry; it was unlike them not to answer a call from him. The concern must have been clear as day on his face because a voice came from next to him to comment on it.

"No answer?"

"No." Law said and stared down at his phone as his call was sent to voicemail again. "How long have you been standing there?"

Isha shrugged and flicked his cigarette. "Only a few minutes." He paused, considering his words. "Were you trying to call who I think you were?"

"It's not really any of your concern." Law said curtly, though there wasn't any malice in his voice.

"I hate to bring this up on your birthday, but you ought to know." Isha's voice became hushed as he looked out at the starry sky. "They're in hiding right now. The Clan's been watching all the big names move around the board and it seems your contact caught the attention of a big fish." He turned violet eyes on Law and frowned. "A big pink fish, if you catch my drift."

Law's face went pale and he stood up. "Already? I thought we'd be fine for another few years."

"Relax. You're still fine; seems your little med school and quiet lifestyle shtick is really working out for you. Also, your contacts are safe. They caught on faster than our conniving bird anticipated and their trail went ice cold. Even I couldn't find them right now if I wanted to." Isha gave Law a comforting grin, but it faded into genuine concern. "You need to be careful. I'm keeping watch for you because I like you, but if anything happens, I can't promise I can get involved. The last thing we need right now is a Clan war."

"I know that. I don't want to get (Y/n)-ya involved in all that either." Law sighed and turned away, closing his eyes. "I just want peace. I refound a tiny shred of happiness and I don't want to lose it again."

Isha let out a soft, arid chuckle. "I know. I'll let you know if anything more happens."

"Thanks."

~A/N~

Hi again! I promise I won't do these after every chapter, but I wanted to speak briefly on Isha and Twili. Both of these characters are from my novel, Ellipsis, and they are two of my favorites though I didn't realize just how many similarities they share with (Y/n) and Law until I was writing them side by side. Isha's name in Ellipsis is actually Doc, but I wanted to give him a more personal feel in this story, at least for now. I have always imagined how Law and Doc would act around each other and if they would be friends and this is a great outlet for me to dabble around in that. I'm really liking how they flow together so far!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.3K 1.8K 15
The World Government had made strives in the field of science through genetic engineering came the recreation of Straw Hat Luffy's Gear Second. The p...
6.4K 317 17
"Ichiji, you are absolutely insufferable!" That was putting it lightly. Ever since the prideful crimson drug lord had taken interest in you, the man...
656 22 6
This story is told in third person, but it only shows what the reader goes through. I will be skipping other POVs in the story. This story will be e...
70.2K 1.8K 36
(Y/N) happens to come across a little blonde-haired boy. She adopts the little boy, who calls himself Cora-san. After treating Luffy's wounds from th...