His Final Riddle

By LunaModeGreen

This is the second book in The Last Riddle series. Please read The Last Riddle before this. Spoilers for Th... More

1. Alone
2. Hello Father
3. The Malfoy's garden party
4. Lovers to enemies to what?
5. The Slug Club
6. Walk proud and high
7. Mood swings
9. Christmas Slugs
10. Free will is a gift
11. I will be stronger
12. Remember your place
13. Lets start with a bang
14. Poisoned glances
15. Happy 17th birthday
16. I will choose you, every time
UPDATE
17. House elf spies
18. Sleep well
19. We work together or not at all
20. To win the war, sacrifices have to be made.
21. Leave it all behind
22. Puzzle piece
23. Oceans of Narcissus
24. There is sense of charity in a quick death
25. Fathers will
26. The French Revolution
27. The party and the wedding
28. The prodigal son returns
29. A messy Nott of chaos
30. Zombie eyes
31. The aftermath
32. Father's will
33. Sicilian Summer

8. Romeo and Juliet

779 24 1
By LunaModeGreen

"Miss Riddle there you are!" Slughorn waves me down in the corridor.

"Oh for fuck sake" I mutter to myself, as I walk the remaining distance to him and plant a fake smile on my face. "How can I help professor?"

Slughorn chuckles "my dear it is in fact I who is helping you. I will shortly be sending out invites to a very exclusive party I shall be hosting."

He pauses as if he is expecting me to gasp or clap. Instead I stare at him with a very neutral expression, an uncomfortable silence passes between us before Slughorn clears his throat awkwardly "right anyway." He continues on with a wide smile "of course you will be on the guest list there is no question about that of course. I was just hoping that you would verbally confirm your attendance now you see."

I shrug "oh um sure?"

Slughorn pats me on the back "oh fantastic my dear girl! Now that you've confirmed I can inform the other special guests that you will be attending." He walks away from me without a goodbye. Even with his back turned I can practically see the massive smile on his face.

"Hey Ang" Theo plops down besides me on the sofa in the common room. He hands me a black envelope "this came for you today some first year gave me it." He holds up another identical one "I got one as well."

Pansy, Blaise and Xavier all walk over towards from the entrance of the common room.

Xavier smiles "ah you both got one as well? See Blaise you're not the only one getting creepy mystery post."

The three of them sit down on the sofa opposite us, Pansy is looking at the envelope in Theo's hand.
"Go on Theo open it! I am dying to know what's inside." She leans forward eagerly.

Theo sighs "let's just open them all at the same time."

I shrug in agreement and begin to tear open the envelope, I pull the thick card out and read the gold embossed letters.

Dear Angelica Riddle and her chosen guest,

You are cordially invited to Horace Slughorn's annual Christmas Party.

At eight o'clock on the twentieth of December

Held in Professor Horace Slughorn's office

Notable guests who have confirmed attendance this year are:

Gwenog Jones
Barnabus Cuffe
Eldred Worple (and his guest a real vampire!)
Harry Potter
And
Angelica Riddle

Please RVSP. at your earliest convenience

"Oh for fuck sake" I throw the invitation into the fire roaring besides me.

"Special guest?" Theo looks at me his eyes lit up with humour "and special guest Angelica Riddle?"

I glare at him "don't you dare laugh."

Theo holds his hands up in mock surrender "oh I wouldn't think of it special guest Angelica Riddle."

Blaise and Xavier both laugh gently as they read over the invitiation in Blaise's hand.

"This is mortifying." I cross my arms angrily as I glare at the burnt remains of my invitation.

"What's mortifying?" Crabbe asks as he and Goyle sit in the arm chairs besides us.

"Slughorn has invited Nott, Ang and Blaise to his Christmas party." Xavier looks up from the invitation.

Blaise smiles as he puts his arm around his boyfriends shoulders "and he has invited you."

Xavier smirks "really I'm your chosen guest? Wow thanks I feel honoured." He holds his hand on his heart sarcastically.

"Well at least you are someone's chosen guest, I doubt I'll even get asked." Pansy pouts dramatically.

Malfoy walks towards us at that moment, a silence falls as all eyes fall on him. He is more pale and looks worse than he has all year. He sits down on the sofa besides Theo and looks around.

"What are you all talking about?" His voice is empty and it's obvious just how exhausted he must be feeling.

Pansy sits up straight "Slughorn's Christmas party, here." She snatches the invite out of Blaise's hand and passes it across to Draco.

His eyes scan the card before he lets out a sarcastic scoff "right." His voice is bored as he hands it back to Pansy. "Looks fun." The sarcasm is dripping from his mouth as he raises an eyebrow at me.

I look away and cross my arms.

Pansy nods "it does sound fun actually." She is oblivious to Draco's sarcasm as a large smile takes over her face "you know what would be so fun?"

"What's that Pans?" Blaise asks.

"Well" Pansy smiles at Draco "you should go with Ang Draco, you can be her date and then Theo can take me as his date. Then all six of us can go together."

Theo smirks "what I'm not even allowed to pick my own date now?"

Pansy laughs "oh please Theo like you could bag yourself a better date than me."

"It's true Nott I've heard she puts out on the first date as well" Blaise winks at Nott.

"Oh fuck off Zabini" Pansy throws the invitation in her hand at the boys head but it barely flies an inch before falling pathetically to the floor.

"Well that was shit" Xavier laughs as he leans forward to pick up the discarded card.

"Shut up Xav" Pansy leans forward towards Draco "so what about it Malfoy? Why don't you take Ang?"

An awkward silence falls between the group.

Pansy rolls her eyes "well if you don't ask her I'm sure there are plenty of guys waiting to. What about the older Ravenclaw Ang? The one with the eyebrow scar? He's always staring at you during meals." Pansy winks at me.

"Shut it Parkinson." Theo suddenly snaps out of nowhere his eyebrows set into a deep frown.

Pansy raises an eyebrow "Merlin calm down."

Malfoy looks up and glares at Theo, his jaw is tense as he shakes his head annoyed "I don't give a fuck who Angelica decides to take. All I can tell you is won't be fucking me, she's not my girlfriend, I'm not her boyfriend. I don't have to do stupid shit like attend parties I don't want to." Malfoy looks at me for the first time and pushes his hair out of his face "look just find some other idiot to take you, I have more important shit to be doing." He stands up suddenly and walks away his shoulders tense and his neck red, he practically runs towards the boys dormitories whilst we all watch.

I can feel the blood rushing to my cheeks as slowly everyone in the group turns to look at me, I let my hair fall in front of my face as I stand up.

"I got to go." I grab my wand off the table and walk quickly out the common room. As soon as I cross the door into the empty corridor I begin to run. I know one of my friends will be following me to make sure I'm okay and I really do not want to speak to Theo or Pansy right now.

I keep running until I make it to the entry of the bottom of the astronomy tower, out of breath I climb the stairs clutching my wand in my hand.

Well that was fucking humiliating.

I sit down on the edge of the tower, my legs hang downwards as I grab onto the metal bar that stretches across my chest holding me safely back. It's been a while since I've been here alone.

"Hey" a soft voice sounds from behind me.

I turn and feel my eyes widen "Blaise?"

He smiles at me softly "knew I'd find you here."

"I really don't need anyone looking for me." I offer him a pathetic smile "I'm fine."

Blaise rolls his eyes as he sits besides me "you know you've never been able to lie to me right? I know you too well."

I shrug "do you? It doesn't seem like you want to know me anymore."

Blaise bites his bottom lip as he stares out at the grounds in front of us. The sun is beginning to set in the distance, the lake has a soft winter glow to it as snow begins to fall.

"What's going on with Malfoy?"

I shrug "I have no idea truthfully. I thought at first it was about his dad, maybe he hated me because it's my fault he was caught you know?" I shake my head "it's more than that though. He's so angry and full of something, I just can't put my finger on what it is."

Blaise turns his head so he is watching me.

I sigh "it's weird, it's like he's scared. It doesn't make sense though. He seems so frightened and on edge but so bloody angry. It's like he's full of all this energy but at the same time he is so exhausted, I mean just look at him. He's falling apart."

Blaise shrugs "he can't speak to you like that though. He doesn't have the right, no matter how angry or scared he is."

"I know." I look at Blaise my eyes watering "I'm letting him go for good. He's not the person I believed was made for me." I close my eyes "Cedric was my soulmate, that's undeniable, but I always believed that Draco was made for me in another way. He always knew how I felt, he understood me and genuinely cared about me. We leant on each other and understood what it felt like to be pushed into a life and role you never wanted." I open my eyes and see Blaise is watching me intensely "he's not the guy I want to be with, he's not even the kind of person I can be friends with anymore."

Blaise offers me a soft smile, it's so familiar and so comforting that it sends shooting pains through my heart.

"You have so much love to give Angelica" Blaise reaches for my hand "you are so good and warm. You are so forgiving and kind, you need to be with someone who allows you to be that. Draco isn't in that place right now, and he may never be in that place and that's okay. I will not allow you to be the girl who convinces herself that she can fix the guy, let him fix himself and then beg for you back."

I squeeze his hand tightly "fuck I missed you so much." A sob escapes my throat as I look into those familiar dark brown eyes "I don't know what I did Blaise but I'm so sorry. I'm sorry if I hurt you, or scared you. I'm so sorry. I really really miss having you as a best friend."

Blaise leans forward throwing his arm around my neck, he pulls my head into his chest and kisses my forehead.

"Do not apologise okay? You are not in the wrong here. Our parents are to blame." He laughs emotionally "we are Romeo and Juliet no? My mother is worried about you, she thinks your father will use me and others close to you to hurt you and make you take his side." He pulls back so I can see him, his eyes are tearful and his accent is thick as he shakes his head "Angelica there is a war coming. A serious war. We will need to choose sides when it comes, but for now" he smiles sadly "let us just be teenagers yes?"

I smile sadly "just teenagers."

"Now will you be my date tomorrow?" Blaise smiles at me widely "I want to take you as my date."

I shake my head instantly "no fucking way Blaise." I lean my head against his shoulder "I am so grateful for the offer but as if I wouldn't let you take Xavier."

"Xav would understand. He always understands."

"No. It's okay really" I smile at him "I would like to be there with you both. That would mean even more to me."

He nods "I really have missed you Angelica."

I sigh sadly "you have no idea how much I've missed you."

Blaise nods silently. He suddenly stands up holding his hand out to me "now come on Juliet let us go to bed, all of this making up is really emotionally draining." He smirks at me "we deserve a good few hours of sleep."

I smile widely "I think you're right Romeo."

We link arms and walk back to the common room talking non stop about everything each other has missed in the last few months.

"Nott was looking for you this morning Angelica." Xavier slides into the bench opposite Blaise and I as he begins to help himself to breakfast.

Blaise nudges me gently "wonder what he has to say."

I roll my eyes "he probably is just checking on me last night."

Blaise laughs "sure play innocent you fool." He takes a sip of his coffee as he places another piece of bacon onto my plate.

I look at him "you don't need to do that you know, I'm eating enough!"

He shakes his head "please I've been watching you eat since we've been back, you're not eating nearly enough. Can you imagine what my mother would say if she could see your pathetic single piece of toast."

I laugh as I bite into the bacon "well that's true. But she is a textbook over feeder!"

Xavier laughs "it's true, I'm pretty sure it's some twisted game she's playing."

Blaise rolls his eyes "oh please you're both being dramatic."

Xavier shakes his head "no way. She made me eat twelve roast potatoes once, twelve babe. Twelve."

I laugh loudly "she made me eat at least ten pancakes as well!"

Xavier and I laugh as Blaise merely shakes his head playfully.

"Hey guys" Theo sits down on my other side as I slowly stop laughing.

Still smiling widely I turn to him "hey Theo."

Theo looks between the three of us and smiles slightly "what were you guys talking about?"

Blaise groans "apparently my mother is a French scoundrel who likes to fatten up the people in her life."

Theo nods "sure." He reaches forward and grabs a spoonful of scrambled eggs "I can see that. You did always slip bits of food on Ang's plate when she wasn't looking."

"Ha!" I point dramatically at Blaise "I knew it! I would always end up with way more food than I had originally put on there!"

"Pour l'amour du ciel! (For God sake!) Sue me then." Blaise grabs a handful of bacon and places it onto my plate "now shut up you and eat, you have to make up for months without my feeding."

I poke my tongue out at him. I turn to Xavier and beg him "please take your boyfriend away now before I shove this bacon somewhere very unfortunate."

Xavier laughs "come on you." He gestures at Blaise "let's go before Ang puts a stop to any future sex we may have." He winks at me "see you guys later."

Blaise places his empty coffee cup onto the table dramatically "well that was violent and unnecessary." He leans forward and kisses me on the cheek "you're lucky you're pretty." He waves goodbye at Theo and I before walking out hand in hand with Xavier.

Theo bites down into his toast "it's nice seeing you guys like that again."

I nod "I really missed him, I missed that comfort he gives me you know?"

"Yeah of course."

Theo and I sit in silence as we both finish off our breakfasts.

"Ang before we go to class." Theo gently grabs my wrist to stop me from standing up.

I slowly drop back onto the bench "yeah?"

Theo gulps down his drink before offering me a smile "fuck knows why this is so nerve wracking."

I laugh at him "it's only me Theo? You can say anything to me." I push my hair out of my face and offer what I hope is a reassuring smile.

Theo visibly relaxes as he nods to himself "right. Well I actually wanted to ask if I could be your date to Slughorn's party."

I feel my eyes widen slightly in surprise "I mean I would love that, but I can't do that to Pansy. I think she was counting on you taking her."

He smiles at me "Merlin you're so considerate, I sometimes forget. Don't worry, I already checked with her. She's over the moon cos the Ravenclaw with the eyebrow scar asked her late last night."

I laugh "that's good I'm glad. Guess he wasn't staring at me after all."

Theo shrugs "well he's an idiot then. So will you come with me?"

"Of course Theo." I squeeze his hand "thank you for asking me, that will be so fun."

Theo smiles "come on let's go to class." He grabs my bag for me and we stand up together walking from the hall talking about the party.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 42 12
"You know Potter, there's a very fine line between perfection and illusion, people just can't notice it unless they look close enough." -Alexandra Ri...
715 30 20
"𝙞 𝙬𝙖𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙤 𝙡𝙚𝙩 𝙝𝙞𝙢 𝙗𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙠 𝙢𝙚, 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣. 𝙖𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞 𝙝𝙖𝙙 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝...
335K 8.2K 27
"You can love a monster, it can even love you back, but that doesn't change its nature." Tom riddle did love. Only once. Tom and Adelaide were the o...
11K 218 19
Tangled in a web of lies ever since her birth, Alta feels powerless. Until she meets him. Her soulmate. [Mattheo Riddle belongs to @yasmineamaro, Lor...