Bless the Broken Road

Av TheQuietHufflepuff

Everything Zach knew changed when he was just a toddler. Life became a lot scarier, and a lot harder. Now he... Mer

Aesthetics
Playlist
Season One
Never Normal Again
01. Pilot
02. Wendigo
03. Dead in the Water
04. Phantom Traveler
05. Bloody Mary
06. Skin
07. Home
08. Asylum
09. Scarecrow
10. Faith
11. Nightmare
12. Shadow
13. Hell House
14. Something Wicked
15. Provenance
16. Dead Man's Blood
17. Salvation
18. Devil's Trap
Season Two
19. In My Time of Dying
20. Everybody Loves a Clown
21. Bloodlust
22. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
23. Simon Said
24. No Exit
25. The Usual Suspects
26. Crossroad Blues
27. Croatoan
28. Hunted
29. Nightshifter
31. Born Under a Bad Sign
32. Tall Tales
33. Roadkill
34. Hollywood Babylon
35. Folsom Prison Blues
36. What Is and What Should Never Be
37. All Hell Breaks Loose (Part One)
38. All Hell Breaks Loose (Part Two)
Season Three
39. The Magnificent Seven
40. The Kids Are Alright
41. Bad Day at Black Rock
42. Sin City
43. Bedtime Stories
44. Red Sky at Morning
45. Fresh Blood
46. A Very Supernatural Christmas
47. Malleus Malleficarum
48. Dream a Little Dream of Me
49. Mystery Spot
50. Jus in Bello
51. Ghostfacers
52. Long Distance Call
53. Time Is on My Side
54. No Rest For the Wicked
Season Four
55. Lazarus Rising
56. Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean Winchester
57. In the Beginning
58. Metamorphosis
59. Monster Movie
60. Yellow Fever
61. It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester
62. Wishful Thinking
63. I Know What You Did Last Summer
64. Heaven and Hell
65. Family Remains
66. Criss Angel Is a Douchebag
67. After School Special
68. Sex & Violence
69. Death Takes a Holiday
70. On the Head of a Pin
71. It's a Terrible Life
72. The Monster at the End of This Book
73. Jump the Shark
74. The Rapture
75. When the Levee Breaks
76. Lucifer Rising
Season Five
77. Sympathy for the Devil
78. Good God, Y'all!
79. Free to Be You and Me
80. The End
81. Fallen Idols
82. I Believe the Children Are Our Future
83. The Curious Case of Zach Winchester
84. Changing Channels
85. The Real Ghostbusters
86. Abandon All Hope...
87. Sam, Interrupted
88. Swap Meat
89. The Song Remains the Same
90. My Bloody Valentine
91. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
92. Dark Side of the Moon
93. 99 Problems
94. Point of No Return
95. Hammer of the Gods
96. The Devil You Know
97. Two Minutes to Midnight
98. Swan Song
Book Two

30. Houses of the Holy

74 4 4
Av TheQuietHufflepuff

Oops... You'll see what I mean...

Providence, Rhode Island

A young woman, Gloria, was sitting in a dark room, watching television and smoking. She wore smudged hooker makeup and the table to her left held several small angel statues and an ashtray filled with cigarette butts.

"How little?" a woman asked.

"How about "a little eyeshadow"?" Drew questioned as a laugh track sounded. "You know, all this stuff, it's just very unprofessional."

"Don't touch the troll!" Mimi cried.

"Is that what your mom used to say to your dates?" Another laugh track sounded.

"Put the trolls down or I'll put a staple right between your-"

Gloria sighed heavily and lifted the remote control. She flipped to a televangelist station.

"Now I know it's hard," the televangelist said. "It's hard to look up when you're down. It's hard to look up and see the light. But I'm here to tell you folks, the Lord is with you."

Gloria turned off the television; the lamp to her right began sputtering and flickering. She looked around, frowning, and stomped out her cigarette. The television suddenly turned on again, and Gloria gasped in shock.

"You don't have to suffer, you don't have to be lost. The Lord is talking to you right now; he's saying, you are my child and you have a purpose! You think God forgot about you? I tell you no! All you got to do is listen! Can't you just hear those angels singing? Isn't it beautiful? It's time. It's time to receive the message he's sending. It's time to listen to the Word of God! Do you hear the glory? I said, can you hear it? I said, can you just hear the glory?"

The lamp was still flickering and the entire room began to shake. Gloria clutched at the couch, looking around in panic. Behind her, a blinding light glowed, and she turned to face it in horror, then awe.

"Oh my god," Gloria said.

INT. PSYCH WARD - DAY

Gloria was seated quietly on her bed in a psych ward. Her hair was straight and her face clean; she was wearing a bathrobe and reading a book held in her left hand. The door opened behind her and she turned.

"Good morning," Gloria greeted. "You're not the usual guys."

Sam, holding a clipboard, and Dean, in white scrubs, said, "No, uh, just filling in. So how you feeling today, Gloria?"

"I've never felt better."

"So, no disturbances lately?"

"You mean am I stark raving cuckoo for cocoa puffs?"

"I didn't say that."

"It's all right. I know what people must think."

"What do you think?"

"I think what I saw was real."

Sam looked around, pulled up a chair and set the clipboard down. Dean pulled up a chair as well and he and Sam leaned forward, elbows on knees, and gave her an intensely earnest look.

"We'd like to know what you saw," Dean said.

"It was all over the news," Gloria replied. "I stabbed a man in the heart."

"Why would you do that?"

"Because it was God's will."

"Did God talk to you?"

"No. I get the sense God's a little busy for house calls. No, he, he sent someone."

"Someone?" Sam repeated.

"An angel. It came to me in this beautiful white light, and it filled me with this feeling. It's, it's hard to describe."

"And this angel..."

"Spoke God's Word."

"And the Word was to kill someone?"

"I know, it sounds strange. But what I did was very important. I helped him smite an evil man. I was chosen. For redemption."

"This man you stabbed, did the angel give you his name?"

"No, he just told me to wait for the sign. And the very next day I saw it, right beside the man's doorway. And I knew."

"Why him?"

"I just know what the angel told me: that this man was guilty to his deepest foundations. And that was good enough for me."

INT. MOTEL ROOM - DAY

Zach was lying on the motel bed, which was vibrating, as he listened to music on his phone. He looked sort of blissful. As Sam and Dean entered, Zach didn't notice them, but Lily, who was reading, did.

"Hey," Sam greeted, smacking Zach on the boot. "Hey!"

"Hey," Zach said. "Man, you gotta try this. I mean there really is magic in the-" He made air quotes.

"Zach, you're enjoying that way too much. It's kind of making me uncomfortable," Sam said with a grimace. "Lil looks uncomfortable too."

"What am I supposed to do? I mean, you've all got me on lockdown here, I'm bored out of my skull."

"Hey, you were the bank robber on the eleven o'clock news, not me, Lily or Dean. We can't risk you just walking into a government facility."

"Hmm."

Sam waved a dismissing hand at Zach as he turned to go into the bathroom. The bed shuttered to stillness.

"Aw, dammit!" Zach cried. "That was my last quarter. Hey! You got any quarters?"

Zach pulled his headphones out and got up, crossing the room and leaning on the doorway to the bathroom where Sam was washing his face.

"No!" Sam yelled.

"Lil? Any quarters?" Zach asked.

Lily frowned. "No. That was disturbing enough, Zachary."

"Says you, Lillian."

Dean held a hand up. "Don't you dare ask, Zach."

Zach sighed. "So did you two get in to see that crazy hooker?"

"Yeah," Sam answered. "Gloria Sitnick. And I'm not so sure she's crazy."

"But she seriously believes that she was... touched by an angel?"

"Yeah. Blinding light, feelings of spiritual ecstasy, the works. I mean, she's living in a locked ward and she's totally at peace."

"Oh yeah, you're right, sounds completely sane. What about the dude she stabbed?"

"Uh, Carl Gully," Dean replied. "She said she killed him because he was evil."

"Was he?" Lily questioned.

"I don't know. I mean, I couldn't find any dirt on him. I mean, he didn't have a criminal record, he worked at the campus library, had lots of friends. He was a churchgoer."

"Hm," Zach hummed. "So then Gloria's just your standard-issue wacko. I mean," he made a pshew sound, "she wouldn't be the first nutjob in history to kill in the name of religion". Know what I mean?"

"No, but she's the second in town to murder because an angel told them to. Little bit odd, don't ya think?" Sam said.

"Well, little odd yes, supernatural maybe," Dean stated. "But angels? I don't think so."

"Why not?"

Dean, as if it was obvious, said, "'Cuz there's no such thing, Sam."

Zach frowned. "Dean, there's ten times as much lore about angels as there is about anything else we've ever hunted."

"Yeah, you know what? There's a ton of lore on unicorns too. In fact, I hear that they, they ride on silver moonbeams, and they shoot rainbows out of their ass."

Sam sat down, total deadpan. "Wait, there's no such thing as unicorns?"

"That's cute. I'm just saying, man, there's just some legends that you just, you file under "bullcrap"."

"And you've got angels on the bullcrap list."

"Yep."

"Why?" Sam and Zach asked.

Dean looked up. "Because I've never seen one."

"So what?"

"So I believe in what I can see."

"Dean!" Sam cried. "You, Zach, Lily and I have seen things that most people couldn't even dream about."

"Exactly. With our own eyes. That's hard proof, okay? But in all this time I have never seen anything that looks like an angel. And don't you think that if they existed that we would have crossed paths with them? Or at least know someone that crossed paths with them? No. This is a, a demon or a spirit. You know, they find people a few fries short of a happy meal, and they trick them into killing these randoms."

"Maybe."

Zach sighed. "Can we just — I'm going stir-crazy, man. Apparently I'm annoying the crap out of Lily. Hey, let's go by Gloria's apartment, huh?"

"Dean and I were just there. Nothing. No sulfur, no EMF..."

"You didn't see any fluffy white wing feathers?"

Sam sighed. "But Gloria did say the angel gave her a sign, right beside Carl Gully's doorway."

Zach said eagerly, "Could be something at his house; it's worth checking out."

Lily nodded. "Let's go."

EXT. GULLY HOUSE - DAY

Dean was driving as they pulled up in front of Carl Gully's house. It was a moderate single-family home with steps leading up to the front door; to the left of the door is a plastic angel figure. Dean mounted the steps and saw it.

"Oh hey, Sam, Zach, Lil," Dean said. "I think I found it." He gestured to the angel. "It's a sign from up above." He peered in the window. "Well, I think I learned a valuable lesson: Always take down your Christmas decorations after New Year's, or you might get filleted by a hooker from God. Ha."

"I'm laughing on the inside," Sam retorted.

Sam and Zach wandered around back, through a gate, and Dean and Lily followed; they found a wooden storm cellar.

"You know, Gloria said the guy was guilty to his deepest foundations," Sam said.

"You think she literally meant the foundation?" Dean asked, exchanging a look with Zach and Lily.

INT. STORM CELLAR - NIGHT

Sam, Zach, Lily and Dean opened the creaking door and went down the steps, shining flashlights.

"Hm," Dean hummed.

Sam noticed scratches on a wall near the floor; he leaned over to get a closer look.

"Hey," Sam called.

"You got something?" Dean asked.

Sam dug at the wall and pulled something out.

"What is it?" Zach and Lily questioned.

"It's a fingernail," Sam replied.

They looked at each other.

Dean pulled four shovels from the wall and they began to dig.

Later, a deep pit had been completed to reveal a pile of skeletons.

"So much for the innocent churchgoing librarian," Sam commented.

"Yeah, well, whatever spoke to Gloria about this knew what it was talking about, I'll give you that," Dean said and Zach nodded.

INT. ZACH'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

A young man, Zach Smith, was lying on a single bed, staring at the ceiling. He drank from a bottle of liquor; a comic book entitled "THESEUS" rested open on his chest. The room began to shake violently, the lights flickering. More bottles tumbled to the floor from the night stand, and the television toppled with a crash. Zach scrambled out of bed frantically; a blinding light appears in front of him and he held up a hand in terror; then awe washed over his features.

EXT. STREET - NIGHT

Zach walked down the sidewalk calmly, hands in his pockets; he saw the blinding light beside a house and stopped. He stared for a long time, then nodded and smiled and approached the house, and knocked on the door. A middle-aged man, Frank, opened the door.

"Yes?" Frank asked.

"Hi," Zach greeted. "My name is Zach."

"Can I help you?"

Zach pulled out a knife and stabbed Frank through the heart. A stone angel was to the left of the door - approximately where the blinding light had come from.

INT. MOTEL ROOM - DAY

Dean was sitting on the edge of the bed with a police radio in hand, listening and looked painfully bored.

A woman said over the radio, "We've got a minor TA, involving a motorcycle and a, uh van, this is at the corner of 28th and Pine, 28th and Pine."

As Sam and Lily entered, Dean sighed and looked back sadly at the "Magic Fingers" controller. Zach rolled his eyes, deciding he'd had enough. Dean certainly loved it more than he did.

Dean eagerly, almost desperately, looked back at the Magic Fingers controller and asked, "D'you bring quarters? How 'bout you, Zach, Lil?"

Sam frowned at the controller. "Dude! We're not enabling your sick habit." He tossed a sandwich at Dean. "You're like one of those lab rats that pushes the pleasure button instead of the food button until it dies."

"What are you talking about? I eat. And I got news."

"Us too."

"All right, you go first."

"Three students have disappeared off the college campus in the last year," Lily informed. "All of them were last seen at the library."

"Where Carl Gully worked."

"Yep."

"Sick bastard."

"So Gloria's angel—" Sam was cut off.

"Angel?"

"Okay. Whatever this thing is..."

"Okay, well, whatever it is, it's struck again."

"What?" Sam and Zach asked.

"I was listening to the police radio before you two got here. There was this guy, uh, Zach Smith, some local drunk; he went up to a stranger's front door last night, stabbed him in the heart."

"And then I'm guessing he went to the police and confessed?" Sam said.

"Yep. Roma Downey made him do it." He crossed the room to take a Post-it note off the mirror. "Now, I, uh... got the victim's address."

EXT. VICTIM'S HOUSE - DAY

Sam, Lily, Zach and Dean climbed over the fence into the yard and snuck in through the window. Sam and Lily sat at the computer as Dean and Zach searched the house.

Sam and Lily, as Dean and Zach walked into the room, asked, "Find anything?"

"Well, Frank liked his catalog shopping, but that's about all she and I got," Dean replied.

"Not much here. Except he's got this one locked file on his computer, I can't... hold on." He pressed a few buttons, then grinned in triumph. "Not anymore. God."

"What?" Dean and Zach asked.

"Well, he's got all these emails. Dozens, to this lady named Jennifer." He paused a beat. "This lady who's thirteen years old."

"Oh, I don't want to hear this," Dean complained.

A disgusted look crossed Zach's face. "Pedos deserve to rot."

"Looks like they met in a chat room," Sam noted. "These emails are pretty personal, Dean, Zach. Look at that. Setting up a time and place to meet."

"Great," Dean and Zach muttered.

"They were supposed to meet today," Lily said.

"Huh," Dean stated. "Well, I guess if you're gonna stab someone, good timing. I don't know, man, this is weird, you know? I mean, sure, some spirits are out for vengeance, but this one's almost like a do-gooder, you know? Like, like a-"

"Avenging angel?" Sam finished as Dean turned away. "Well, how else do you explain it, Dean? Three guys, not connected to each other, all stabbed through the heart? At least two were world-class pervs, and I bet if you dug deep enough on the other guy—"

Dean picked something up. "Hey."

"What?"

"You said Carl Gully was a churchgoer, right?"

"Yeah?"

Zach joined Dean's side and asked, "What was the name of his church?"

"Uh ... Our Lady of the Angels?"

"Of course that'd be the name," Dean muttered as the flier was taken from his hand. "Hey!"

Zach held up the church flier. "Looks like Frank went to the same church."

INT. OUR LADY OF THE ANGELS CHURCH - DAY

Dean, Zach, Lily and Sam walked through the sanctuary of the church, speaking to a friendly-looking priest, Father Reynolds.

"So you're interested in joining the parish?" Father Reynolds asked.

"Yeah, well, you know, we just don't feel right unless we hit church every Sunday," Dean replied.

"Where'd you say you lived before?"

"Uh..." Sam began.

"Fremont, Texas," Dean and Zach replied.

"Yeah."

"Really?" Father Reynolds said. "That's a nice town. St. Teresa's parish, you must know the priest there."

"Sure, yeah, no it's uh, Father O'Malley," Dean answered.

"Hmm, I know a Father Shaughnessy."

"Shaughnessy, exactly. What'd I say?"

Sam broke in and said, "You know, we're just happy to be here now, Father."

"And we're happy to have you, we could use some young blood around here," Father Reynolds told them.

"Hey, listen, I gotta ask — no offense, but uh, the neighborhood?" Dean said.

"Well, it's gone to seed a little, there's no denying that, but that's why what the church does here is so important. Like I always say, you can expect a miracle, but in the meantime you work your butt off."

"Huh. Yeah, we heard about the murders," Lily replied.

"Yes. The victims were parishioners of mine, I'd known them for years."

"And the killers said that an angel made them do that?" Sam asked.

"Yes. Misguided souls, to think that God's messenger would appear and incite people to murder. It's tragic."

"So you don't believe in those angel yarns, huh?" Dean questioned.

"Oh, no, I absolutely believe. Kind of goes with the job description."

Sam nodded to a painting on the wall. "Father, that's Michael, right?"

"That's right. The archangel Michael, with the flaming sword. The fighter of demons. Holy force against evil."

"So they're not really the Hallmark card version that everybody thinks? They're fierce, right? Vigilant?"

"Well, I like to think of them as more loving than wrathful. But, uh, yes, a lot of Scripture paints angels as God's warriors. "An angel of the Lord appeared to them, the glory of the Lord shone down upon them, and they were terrified."" Sam and Lily nodded, Dean looked confused, Zach looked slightly confused. "Luke. Two nine."

Dean and Zach nodded sagely.

EXT. CHURCH - DAY

"Well, thank you for speaking with us, Father," Sam said.

"Oh, it' s my pleasure," Father Reynolds replied. "Hope to see you again."

Dean, seeing a collection of tribute items at the bottom of the steps, asked, "Hey, Father, what's, what is all that for?"

"Oh, that's for Father Gregory. He was a priest here."

"Was?"

"He passed away right on these steps. He's interred in the church crypt."

"When did this happen?" Lily questioned.

"Two months ago. He was shot for his car keys."

"I'm sorry," Sam apologized.

"Yeah, me too. He was a good friend. I didn't even have time to administer his last rites. But like I said, it's a tough neighborhood. Ever since he died I've been praying my heart out."

"For what?"

"For deliverance. From the violence and the bloodshed around here. We could use a little divine intervention, I s'pose."

"Well, Padre, thanks," Dean said. "We'll see you again."

Father Reynolds went back inside; Dean, Zach, Lily and Sam investigated the shrine.

"Well, it's all starting to make sense," Dean said. "Devoted priest dies a violent death? That's vengeful spirit material right there." Sam and Zach shifted uncomfortably and Lily looked mildly concerned. "And he knew all the other stiffs, because they went to church here, in fact I'm willing to bet that because he was their priest, he knew things about them that nobody else knew."

"Then again, Father Reynolds started praying for God's help about two months ago, right?" Sam asked. "Right about the time all this started happening?"

"Aw, come on, man, what's your deal?"

"What do you mean?"

"Look, I'll admit I'm a bit of a skeptic, I can't tell what Zach and Lily think, but since when are you all Mr., uh, 700 Club? No, seriously. From the git-go you've been willing to buy this angel crap, man. I mean, what's next, are you going to start praying every day?"

"I do."

"What?"

"I do pray every day. I have for a long time."

Zach met his elder brother's gaze. "As do I."

Dean was startled. "The things you learn about a couple guys. Huh. Well, come on, let's go check out Father Gregory's grave."

INT. CHURCH CRYPT - EVENING

The crypt was a maze of stone hallways, with numerous stone angel figurines. They wandered through slowly, Dean and Lily a little ahead of Sam and Zach. As Dean and Lily went into another room, Sam and Zach stopped, looking back at one of the angels. They frowned as it, and then the entire room, began to shake. A brilliant light appeared behind them and they turned, confusion washing away to a look of awe.

INT. CHURCH - EVENING

Dean and Lily hurried back into the room.

"Sam, Zach, come on, get the lead out," Dean said.

He and Lily saw Sam and Zach passed out on the floor, and rushed over.

"Sammy? Zach?" Dean and Lily called. "Sammy! Zach! Hey!"

Sam and Zach jerked awake, groaning.

"Y'okay?"

Sam and Zach stared at the stone angel, stunned, and replied, "Yeah. Yeah. 'm okay."

"Come on."

Dean hauled Sam to his feet, while Lily pulled Zach up, and they guided them into the sanctuary, a hand on their arms, and Dean shut the door behind them.

"You two saw it, didn't you?" Dean asked. "Didn't you?"

Sam replied, "Yeah. Yeah. Dean, Lily, Zach and I saw an angel."

"You..." Sam, Lily and Zach sat as Dean pulled out a flask, unscrewed it and handed it to them. "All right. Here."

"I don't want a drink," Sam said.

Zach shook his head. "I don't either."

Dean shrugged and took a swig. "So. What makes you think you saw a, uh, angel?"

"It just, it appeared before us and I just, this feeling washed over us, you know? Like, like peace. Like grace."

"Okay, Ecstasy Boy, maybe we'll get you two some glow sticks and a nice Dr. Seuss hat, huh?"

"Dean, I'm serious. It spoke to me, it knew who I was."

"It's just a spirit, Sam, Zach. Okay? And it's not the first one to be able to read people's minds." He sat down on another pew. "Okay, let me guess. You two were personally chosen to smite some sinner. You've just got to wait for some divine bat signal, is that it?"

"Yeah, actually," Sam replied.

"Great. I don't suppose you asked what this alleged bad guy did?"

"Actually we did, Dean. And the angel told us. He hasn't done anything. Yet. But he will."

Dean stood and started pacing. "Oh, this is, this is... I don't believe this."

"Dean, the angel hasn't been wrong yet! Someone's going to do something awful, and I can stop it!"

"You know, you're supposed to be bad too, maybe, maybe I should just stop you right now."

"You know what, Dean?" Zach retorted. "I don't understand! Why can't you even consider the possibility?"

"What, that this is an angel?"

"Yes!" Lily cried. "Maybe we're hunting an angel here, and we should stop! Maybe this is God's will! I'm sorry, but I'm with Sam and Zach on this one."

"Okay, all right. You know what? I get it. You've both got faith. That's — hey, good for you both. I'm sure it makes things easier." He sat again. "I'll tell you who else had faith like that — Mom. She used to tell me when she tucked me in that angels were watching over us. In fact, that was the last thing she ever said to me."

"You never told us that," Sam said.

"Well, what's to tell? She was wrong. There was nothing protecting her. There's no higher power, there's no God. I mean, there's just chaos, and violence, and random unpredictable evil th - that comes out of nowhere, and rips you to shreds. You three want me to believe in this stuff? I'm going to need to see some hard proof. Either of you got any?" He paused a beat. "Well, I do. Proof that we're dealing with a spirit."

INT. CRYPT - EVENING

Father Gregory's tombstone was covered in creeping vines; Dean, Zach, Lily and Sam crouched before it.

"That looks like—" Sam began.

"It's wormwood," Dean confirmed. "Plant associated with the dead; specifically the ones that are not at rest. I don't see it growing anywhere else, except over the murdered priest's marker. It's him, Sam, Zach."

"Maybe," Sam and Zach replied.

"Maybe?"

"Dean, Zach and I don't know what to think," Sam said.

"Okay. You two want some more proof? I'll give you two more proof."

"How?" Sam and Zach asked.

"We'll summon Gregory's spirit."

"What? Here? In the church?" Lily questioned.

"Yeah. Yeah, we just need a few odds and ends, and that, uh, séance ritual in Dad's journal."

"Oh, a séance, great," Sam said sarcastically. "Hope Whoopi's available."

Dean deadpanned, "That's funny, actually. Seriously. If Father Gregory's spirit is around, a séance will bring him right to us. If it's him, then we'll put him to rest."

Zach crossed his arms and shot back, "But if it's an angel, it won't show. Nothin'll happen."

"Exactly. That's one of the perks of the job, Sam, Zach: we don't have to operate on faith. We can know for sure. Don't you two wanna know for sure?"

EXT. STREET - NIGHT

Dean, Zach, Lily and Sam left a small grocery store, Sam holding a paper sack and smiling.

"Dudes, Lil," Sam said. "I'll admit we've gone pretty ghetto with spellwork before, but this takes the cake. I mean, a Sponge-Bob placemat instead of an altar cloth?"

"We'll just put it Sponge-Bob side down," Dean reasoned.

Sam and Zach laughed, then stopped in shock, staring at something across the street: a young man holding a bunch of flowers; a bright white light glowed behind him.

"Dean, Lily, that's it," Sam and Zach said.

"What?" Dean and Lily asked.

"That's the sign!"

"Where?"

"Right there, right behind that guy!" Sam cried. "That's him, Dean, Lily. And Zach and I have to stop him."

EXT. STREET - NIGHT

The young man crossed the street; Sam and Zach started to go after him, but Dean and Lily stopped them.

"Wait a minute," Dean said.

"What are you two doing?" Sam asked. "Let us go."

"You two aren't going to go kill somebody because a ghost told you to, are you insane?"

"Dean, Lily, Zach and I aren't insane, we're not going to kill him. I'm going to stop him."

"Define "stop", huh?" Lily challenged. "I mean, what are you going to do?""

"Dean, Lil, please, he's going to hurt someone, you two know it," Zach said.

"All right, come on," Dean told them.

The young man had gotten into a car and started it up, pulling away. Dean got in the driver side of his car and started it; Sam and Zach tried to get in the other side and the back, but the door was locked. Lily managed to get into the back behind the driver's seat and locked the door.

"Dean," Sam called. "Unlock my door."

"Lily, Dean, unlock this door," Zach demanded.

"You're not killing anyone, Sam, Zach," Dean told his brothers. "Lily and I got this guy, you go do the séance."

"Dean! Lily!" Sam and Zach shouted.

Dean and Lily pulled away, following the young man at a short distance. The man stopped at a corner and got out with the bunch of flowers, handing them to a woman waiting on the corner. They both got in the car and drove off again.

INT. CHURCH CRYPT - NIGHT

Kneeling before Gregory's grave, Sam and Zach had the spell materials spread out: a circle of small white candles, a large black candle in the middle, the placemat, Sponge-Bob side down, and the Journal. Sam lit the candles, picked up John's Journal, and read.

"Amate spiritus obscure
te quaerimus, te oramus
nobiscum colloquere
aput nos circita

(loose translation: the Inquisiton, 10/31/08)

Beloved hidden spirit
We seek you, we beg you
Come speak with us
Join our circle

Zach sprinkled some herb on the black candle and it flared once, brightly.

Father Reynolds entered and asked, "What are you two doing? What is this?"

"Uh, Father, please. We can explain," Sam replied. "Um... actually, maybe we can't. Um. This is a, a séance."

"A séance? Young man, you are in the House of God."

"It's based on early Christian rites, if that helps any," Zach said with a small smile.

"Enough. You're both coming with me."

"Father, please, you, just wait a second!"

As Father Reynolds pulled Sam and Zach to the exit, a familiar bright glow built behind them. They turned, Father Reynolds in awe, Sam and Zach in disappointment.

"Oh my god!" Father Reynolds cried. "Is that... is that an angel?"

"No, it's not," Sam answered. "It's just Father Gregory."

The bright glow dimmed and coalesced to reveal a young, handsome priest; Father Gregory.

"Thomas?!" Father Reynolds called.

"I've come in answer to your prayers," Father Gregory replied.

EXT. STREET - NIGHT

Dean and Lily continued to follow the supposedly evil young man.

INT. CHURCH CRYPT - NIGHT

Sam and Zach approached the Gregory-spirit cautiously.

"Sam. Zach," Father Gregory called. "I thought I sent you two on your path. You two should hurry."

"Father, I'm sorry. But you're not an angel," Sam told him.

"Of course I am."

"No. You're a man. You're a spirit. And you need to rest."

"I was a man. But now I'm an angel. I was on the steps of the church. And I felt that bullet pierce right through me. But there was no pain. And suddenly I could see... everything. Father Reynolds, I saw you, praying and crying here. I came to help you."

"Help me how?" Father Reynolds wondered.

EXT. STREET - NIGHT

The allegedly evil young man turned down a dark alley and Dean and Lily temporarily lost sight of him. He slammed the steering wheel in frustration.

"Dammit!" Dean cried.

"We'll get him," Lily reassured.

INT. CHURCH CRYPT - NIGHT

"Those murders — that was because of you?" Father Reynolds asked.

"I received the Word of God," Father Gregory replied. "He spoke to me, told me to smite the wicked. I'm carrying out his will."

"You're driving innocent people to kill."

"Those innocent people are being offered redemption. Some people need redemption. Don't they, Sam?"

Sam looked away, as it touched a nerve.

"How can you call this redemption?" Father Reynolds questioned.

"You can't understand it now," Father Gregory told him. "But the rules of man and the rules of God are two very different things."

"Those people. They're locked up," Zach said.

"No, they're happy. They've found peace, beaten their demons. And I've given them the keys to Heaven."

"No. No, this is vengeance, it's wrong," Father Reynolds corrected. "Thomas, this goes against everything you believed. You're lost, misguided."

"Father. No, I'm not misguided."

"You are not an angel, Thomas. Men cannot be angels."

"But... but I, I don't understand. You prayed for me to come."

"I prayed for God's help. Not this. What you're doing is not God's will. "Thou shalt not kill". That's the word of God."

EXT. ALLEY - NIGHT

The supposedly evil young man stopped the car; the young woman holding the flowers looked confused and smiled nervously.

"How come we stopped?" the young woman asked.

The supposedly evil young man smiled back more nervously, his eye twitching. He leaned over suddenly and kissed her. She fended him off with a laugh.

"Um, weren't we going to go to the movies? Ah -- We should go, or we're going to be late."

Suddenly, the supposedly evil young man hit her, hard, across the face. She yelped in shock.

"I'm sorry," the evil young man apologized. "I'm sorry, it's just I've never done this before."

She tried to get out of the car, but he had locked the door and she scrabbled uselessly at the handle.

"Look, I said I was sorry!"

"Please!" He pulled out a knife. "What?"

He lunged at her with the knife; she tried to fight him off. They struggled for a few seconds.

"No," the evil young man said. "N -- Stop it!

The window shattered behind his head; Dean reached in, punched in, and slammed his face into the steering wheel. Dean unlocked the doors and the woman got out, helped by Lily; he tumbled over the hood to reach the young woman, grabbing her shoulders frantically.

"Are you okay?" Dean and Lily asked. "Are you okay?!"

The young woman cried, "Thank god!"

Behind them, the evil young man had come to and started the car; he drove off.

"Dammit!" Dean yelled. "Are you sure you're okay? Do you have a cell phone?" She nodded, still sobbing. "Call 9-1-1!"

Dean and Lily ran off and got in the Impala to chase after the evil young man again.

INT. CHURCH CRYPT - NIGHT

Father Gregory was staring, bewildered, at his own headstone. He turned to face Reynolds, Zach and Sam.

"Let us help you," Sam and Zach said.

"No," Father Gregory argued.

"It's time to rest, Thomas, to be at peace," Father Reynolds told him. "Please, let me give you Last Rites."

Father Gregory nodded in resignation; Father Reynolds lifted his hands in prayer and said, "Oh Holy Hosts above, I call upon thee as a servant of Christ to sanctify our actions this day, in fulfillment of the will of God."

Father Reynolds gasped as Father Gregory flickered like a distorted image.

"Father Reynolds?" Father Gregory called.

"Rest," Father Reynolds said.

Father Gregory knelt; Father Reynolds held a hand over Father Gregory's forehead and said, "I call upon the Archangel Raphael, Master of the Air, to make open the way. Let the fire of the Holy Spirit now descend, that this being might be awakened to the world beyond."

Father Gregory glowed brightly, then vanished to a short soft, angelic, chorus. Father Reynolds lowered his hand in awe.

EXT. STREET - NIGHT

Chasing the evil young man at a more frantic rate now, Dean gripped the steering wheel tightly while Lily gripped the small handle bar at the top tightly. They cut across lanes, over grass, and generally cause mayhem; at a cross-street, a small pickup truck carrying long metal pipes screeched to a halt in front of the man's car. A pipe spun off the truck bed, bouncing once on the ground and plowing straight through his windshield. It impaled him straight through the chest. Dean stopped the car in shock, shielding Lily with his arm she screamed and the two got out.

"Holy..." Dean began as Lily's eyes widened.

INT. HOTEL ROOM - DAY

Sam and Zach were packing. Dean and Lily approached the room and entered from outside and asked, "How was your day?"

Sam, sadly, dully, demoralized, replied, "You were right. It wasn't an angel. It was Gregory."

Dean pulled the flask from his inner pocket, took a drink, then, considering, offered it to Sam. Sam took it, then handed it to Zach who took it.

"I don't know, Dean, Lily, I just, uh..." He sat on the bed. "Zach and I wanted to believe ... so badly, ah ... It's so damn hard to do this, what we do. You're all alone, you know? And... there's so much evil out there in the world, Dean, Lil, I feel like I could drown in it. And when I think about my destiny, when I think about how I could end up..."

Dean sat on the bed beside him. "Yeah, well, don't worry about that. All right? I'm watching out for you and Zach. So's Lily."

"Yeah, I know you are. But you're just one person, Dean. Lily's just one person. And I needed to think that there was something else, watching too, you know? Some higher power. Some greater good. And that maybe..."

"Maybe what?" Dean and Lily asked.

"Maybe I could be saved." He let out a nervous laugh. "But, uh, you know, that just clouded my judgment, and you're right. I mean, we've gotta go with what we know, with what we can see, with what's right there in front of our own two eyes."

"Yeah, well, it's funny you say that," Dean replied.

"Why?"

"Gregory's spirit gave you some pretty good information," Lily told him. "That guy in the car was bad news. Dean and I barely got there in time."

"What happened?" Zach wondered.

"He's dead," Dean and Lily said.

"Did... you two?"

"No," Dean answered. "But I'll tell you one thing. If... The way he died, if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes I never would have believed it. I mean ... I don't know what to call it."

"What? Dean, what did you and Lily see?" Sam asked.

Dean and Lily exchanged a look before the former replied, "Maybe... God's will."

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

17K 354 20
Dean rescues 5 year old Hayden from her abusive family and takes her under his wing. After recruiting his brother, Sam to find their father, the two...
5.5K 152 78
Daisy Winchester hates the life she grew up in, but she loves it at the same time. She calls it the paradoxical bane of her existence. When her fath...
35.8K 616 22
"belle?" dean said looking at me with surprise and a bit of betrayal in his eyes. "shit." "you know these lads?" crowley looked at me, confused. bel...
53 3 4
Supernatural: the Father Hunt The Winchesters are not normal. For instance, they grew up hunting the supernatural. They may have had their difference...