Blood Ties

By Caranyx

𝟐 | π“π’πžπ 𝐓𝐨 𝐖𝐨π₯𝐯𝐞𝐬. The second story after 'Moon Bound'. You must read the first one to read 'B... More

I
II
P R O L O G U E
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
Book III

27

209 24 53
By Caranyx

Happy Hunting Ground
~
Accalia
~

"Nothing." Vaela sighed, letting go of Erisa's face and rose from her chair. "I could only collect the interest he has in Erisa. Nothing more."

Everyone fell back against their seats, adamant defeat coursing through the living room.

"I could have found something if..." Erisa trailed off and looked down, hair covering her grief-stricken face.

"No," Accalia affirmed and promptly stood up, gesturing to Cadence who was at the point of passing out. "Cadence made the right call in making you sure didn't leave with Cole. It was smart bringing Rexton along, he could hear everything and that kept you safe. We can't risk you getting hurt, Erisa, just to find something that doesn't want to be found."

At first, Accalia sat riddled with panic about Rexton being in the same environment, let alone the same car as Cadence, but it proved to be the very step they needed.

As soon as they returned, Cadence explained to them that the hybrid's abilities surpassed their expectations and the nerves within Accalia vanished as Rexton radioed every word Erisa had with the lycan back to Cadence.

He detected the ever-rising fear in Erisa's tone, how it spiked and then became a feeble whisper when she grew scared.

Accalia had fretted for Erisa and if she would walk out of the door alive. It wouldn't let loose of her until they returned home safe and sound.

Cadence sat on the floor by Rexton who was seated with his legs tucked up on the chair and chin leant on his knees.

Accalia watched Cadence look at Rexton like he was a tragically handsome sculpture. His  head turned a fraction and he stared down at Cadence. He offered her a boyish grin, dimples denting his cheeks and Cadence swept her eyes away, rage announcing in her face.

Accalia suppressed the urge to smile.

"What if the presence that blocks Vaela's vision is a human?" Cadence questioned.

Vaela stubbornly shook her head and explained, "Someone that can hide from the abilities of an oracle is no human. Accalia is right, they don't want to be found but they want to be connected to Cole, for whatever reason that is and we have to find out why."

"Why is it so important? Can't we just kill Cole and have it done with?" Cadence said to the oracle.

"We can do that." Lycus piped up with a menacing smile and jutted his finger to the oracle. "Vaela can access anyone's memories, dreams and future, but when Cole receives visits from a particular presence, those memories aren't there. Someone is blocking them and we have to know who. For all we know, they could be heavily involved in the battle. We have to be smart about things."

"We should sneak into his pack." Cadence didn't miss a beat.

Accalia's face fell and looked at Cadence like she completely lost it.

"What did I just say?" Lycus grumbled, gripping the bridge of his nose.

Cadence shot up and said, "Come on, you know it's a good idea. Cole and Erisa have arranged to see each other again next week and while that happens, me, Accalia and Tristan could sneak into the pack and see if there's anything to find."

"That's suicide, Cadence," Accalia breathed out and sent her a discouraging look.

"Like the good old days, Lilybelle." Cadence grinned wildly at her and kicked her foot.

The days that were spent sneaking into packs, infiltrating werewolf packs that were unbound to an Alpha lycan and always getting hunted for it afterwards. The days when Tristan and Cadence would get a thrill from it and Accalia would be left to wonder if this would be the day they died.

Did Cadence forget how they met Lycus? Accalia wasn't amused and kicked her cousin back.

"Accalia won't be going anywhere, not with her injury," Lycus confirmed, lacing his fingers together as he sent a threatening stare to Cadence.

Cadence shrugged loosely. "Accalia can make her own decision, Lycus."

"Yes, I can," Accalia piped up and leant forward, her elbows digging into her thighs. "And I decide, this is dangerous and we need to think—"

Cadence waved her off and stepped toward the armchair that Rexton sat on, forcefully giving him a look, the time of day. "He can come with me then."

Rexton's eyes widened and looked expectedly to Lycus.

"No fucking way in hell," Lycus growled and pointed accusingly at Cadence, lip curling with disgust. "I have had enough of you and your meddling. Just like Alexene, luring Rexton into dangerous situations. I won't allow it. If you want to get yourself killed, by all means, but you're not putting my brother in harm's way."

Cadence released an irritated sigh and planted herself on the floor, leaning her head on the side of the armchair Rexton sat on.

"With all due respect, Alpha Lycus, but the huntress raises a smart idea. By infiltrating the Canus pack, it will open doors we may need. Erisa could distract Cole next Friday and that will leave them a little bit of time to see what they could find."

"And," Cadence said, sending the oracle a grateful look. "Rexton's abilities extend beyond any supernatural creature I've met. He'll find things better than any of us can."

A glimmer swept across Lycus's eyes and he looked to Rexton, then down to Cadence. "Is that a compliment, Little Huntress?"

Cadence's heart burned with fury. "He's just easy to use to our advantage. That's all."

Accalia gathered Cadence wasn't about to thank Rexton for his help tonight, even if he was proven to be the very thing she needed at the time, but was that all he is to her? Someone to use?

Accalia watched as Cadence suddenly lifted her head off the chair and scooted away from Rexton like he was a disease she could be infected by.

"Cole repulses me. You should have seen him, he can hardly control himself. He's animal, even in his human form, but if it means we get the upper hand, I'll distract him while you go into his pack." Erisa muttered to both Larren cousins.

Erisa hadn't said much other than explaining the time she had with Cole, but Accalia could see how heavy it hung on her shoulders. It hung beneath her blue eyes, the tiredness and the energy he took out her.

Accalia turned to Lycus, her mate, the very person that has been avoiding her since they overturned his judgement involving Rexton in this mess.

"If we want to find out this presence blocking Vaela's vision, going into the pack could be an option. Rexton could even pick up a scent." Accalia said to Lycus.

Lycus glanced at her briefly, face passive but eyes dilating. "No matter what I say, I have a feeling Cadence will do whatever she wants anyway. Rexton along with her."

Accalia nodded, noticing that Rexton tended to do whatever Cadence wished him to. Go away, he would do that, give her distance, he would grant her that, be her friend, he would and go wherever she went, he wouldn't want it any other way.

Rexton was tied to Cadence in ways no one could understand.

"We could bring Tristan, he's smart in navigating ways we can get in. Accalia could come—" Cadence began but Lycus gave her a snarling growl.

"She won't be going. Cole could sniff her out and recognise her." Lycus barked.

"We'll mask her scent then." Cadence countered. "Just like we did with Erisa."

Accalia tilted her head, not ruling that idea out and wondered if it could be possible. She hadn't gone on a mission like this since trespassing into Lycus's pack and she would admit, she missed the times spent with her brother and cousin.

"We could take Alexene with us," Rexton suggested and everyone rounded on him like he had grown another head. "She's an old vampire, she could—"

"Actually," Lycus grinned maliciously and sent a knowing look to Rexton. "I'm not opposed to that. Better yet, have Cadence and Alexene do this little mission. They seemed to work well together in the past."

"If Cadence goes through with this, I'm going with her." Once again, Accalia didn't want to be on the opposing side to her mate but she knew what needed to be done.

Cadence was reckless, but she did it out of reasoning, even if it was the kind that got you killed. Erisa spying on Cole could help, but to what extent? A distraction? Going into the pack could be the very move they needed to make on the chessboard.

It could be foolish, downright reckless, but the exact move to win.

"I say we do it." Cadence piped up. "We conceal our scents, we scope things out and see what we can find. Then we dip, we won't even kill anyone."

Erisa's blue eyes gleamed with fury and muttered, "I'll distract Cole next Friday, buy us a few hours, but we gotta make sure me seeing him and you going into his pack doesn't intercross. We can't blow our cover if you, Larren, kill a werewolf or two."

"Might kill three." Cadence grinned slyly.

Accalia was tired of sitting and waiting for Cole to creep over her shoulder and claw her from the inside out. Her scars were healing, thanks to the blood of her mate. She had to be a part of this, not as a Luna, but as a Larren hunter.

"I'm in," Accalia announced.

"I, as well." Rexton declared, peering down at Cadence fondly even if she didn't see it.

Lycus rose from his chair, towering over everyone with brewing brutality and stalked out of the room.

Accalia ignored the string that knotted in her chest, leaving her feeling heavy and grave. Lycus was overturned again, disregarded as if his judgements meant nothing and by all people, hunters.

But he had to know, had to realise, not everything was in the palm of his hands. Before whispers of war were spoken, Lycus couldn't control the extinction of vampires even if he attempted to wipe them out. He couldn't contain his brother, no matter his effort to do so. And he couldn't command the outcomes of war, the risks and threats.

"May the moon be on our side," Vaela murmured serenely, a prayer to the skies above.

How could the moon be on their side, when the Alpha of Alphas wasn't on Accalia's?

____

The orange flames danced with the windless air, a mesmerising dance that emitted in a fierce and blazing battle. Flecks of ember flew up through the chimney and the ashy smell that arose in the living room reminded Accalia of camping.

Accalia clutched the pillow, wrapping her arm around it as she rested her head upon the soft cushioning.

Vaela left, taking her prophetic dreams and gifts with her. Rexton's puppy eyes followed Cadence's every step, but when it became obvious she wasn't going to acknowledge him, he left for bed. 

Cadence and Erisa retired for the night and left Accalia to her rekindling thoughts.

Her thoughts blazed with the flames she stared at.

"May I sit with you?"

Accalia jumped and met Rexton's face.

She remained tense, wondering what Rexton was doing in the middle of the night, but found her head laid back against the pillow with an unsure nod. "If you want."

Rexton wore a grey long sleeve that hugged his lean stature and pyjama pants that brushed against his ankles. He took a seat across from her, stretching his legs out and watched the fire with ablaze curiosity.

"Couldn't sleep?" Accalia asked.

He turned his head, eyes paying attention to the flames and said, "I don't sleep much."

"Because of the coffin?"

Rexton tensed in the shoulders and Accalia immediately wanted to take those words back.

"I slept in darkness, Accalia, even when I was consciously aware of my surroundings for over a century," Rexton said softly and lolled his head back, his hair spinning around him in a halo. "At times, I would awaken in the darkness and wonder when would I finally die. Only, I didn't and I would fall asleep again. I am tired right now, but I cannot sleep. I am scared of the darkness."

Accalia's eyes blurred with tears wanting to be shed.

Rexton turned his head, staring at her with a face of concern and smiled. "Don't cry for me, Accalia."

"I could never do that to my family." Accalia choked out and squeezed her eyes closed at the mere thought, the image of locking her brother away like he was a monster and Cadence like she could be an abomination. Accalia could never.

"I think they were protecting me."

Accalia nearly laughed and clutched the pillow harder. "From what? Yourself?"

"Perhaps. But they have always protected me since I was young. So I can only assume ..."

"How did they protect you?" Accalia asked. She couldn't ask these kinds of things from Lycus, he would shut himself down and close her off.

"From the pack, from my father — he wasn't nice to me, wasn't nice to mama. He despised my vampiric side." Rexton admitted, wayward locks of hair brushing over his eyes and concealing whatever needed to be shown.

Accalia read up on Roman Fenris many years ago by her father's demand. He ruled with teeth and claw ... that was how he became cursed in the first place. His wrongdoings cost him his humanity.

Through the sentences of books and mouths of hunters, Accalia knew Roman was far from good.

"And you have no idea how you came to be?" Accalia asked softly from across the room.

Rexton nodded faintly and peered over at her with gleaming orbs. "I do not. I was born like this. Born with the fascination of blood and unable to complete the turn of a lycan. I met Alexene when I was sixteen, she guided me through it all. She helped when my brothers could not."

It was difficult to consider Alexene helping anyone unless it was out for her benefit. She had proven to be manipulative and cunning, but her connection with Rexton had shown to run deeper than blood.

"Cadence hates her." Accalia confided in the hybrid.

"Cadence hates a lot of people, Accalia."

Accalia released a ragged sigh and fiddled with the ends of her sleeves. "Cadence hates herself, Rexton."

Her gaze drifted to his face and she scanned the isolated boy that was released from the clutches of purgatory, the boy who was scared of the dark.

Rexton collided his eyes with hers and shook his head in confusion. "Why would she hate herself?"

Accalia didn't know where to begin with that question. There were too many passageways that led to the self-loathing Cadence felt within herself. All that involved death and anguish.

"We were exposed to things a kid shouldn't know about at a young age. Cadence was exposed the most. My mother protected me and Tristan from it up until she died — she hated the hunter lifestyle. But after Cadence's parents and siblings passed, she moved in with us and my father was relentless." Accalia recalled, trying to trust her voice even as it wobbled. "Cadence got it the most — having to train harder and prove herself more. She had to live up to the name of Katerina Larren. She spiralled, skipping school, training more and hunting when she shouldn't. Things became worse when she turned sixteen, she murdered two boys for hurting Erisa and ever since, she's only wished death upon others even when wanting it for herself."

The flames collided together in a fiery clash, embers floating into the air and through the chimney.

Silver and sword never felt more untrue. Blood and silver felt more prominent than they ever would — because that was what Cadence would claim her life with.

"Protect her, Rexton." Accalia snapped her head to him, her face fused in cold warmth but those brown eyes flared with dawning flames. "I see the way you look at her, how you want to be her friend, but above everything, protect her. I'll do the same."

Rexton's features became rigidly concerned. Concerned for his mate. But that came to pass as something drew over him, a wilful and biting fierceness that no one could blow out.

They were connected through their dreams, through the darkness and the bond.

"I will always protect Cadence." Rexton declared.

They didn't need to say anything else, instead, they watched the fire and Accalia wondered who, out of all of them, would burn first.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 34 32
"You? your human." I state looking at the boy in front of me. "And your not?" He smirks jokingly looking at my almost yellow eyes. π˜›π˜©π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘀𝘒𝘯'𝘡...
32.2K 2.2K 43
𝟏 | π“π’πžπ 𝐭𝐨 𝐖𝐨π₯𝐯𝐞𝐬. __ Accalia Larren was born into a bloodline of hunters. A hunter family that rid the world of lycans and their des...
154K 5.1K 31
In the world of lycans, it's completely impossible for a female to shift into a wolf. Women were looked upon as mates to werewolves, never as an equa...
7.6K 448 25
After Isabella and Dalton there was Angel and Nico. Angel knew life was tough that it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine. After all she grew up in a pa...