Falling for a Bridgerton : a...

By violetknightly

Falling for a Bridgerton Dear readers, The season of courting has long come to an end. Many of this season's... More

foreword
chapter 1 : whistledown
chapter 2 : mabel
chapter 3 : first encounter
chapter 4 : amelia
chapter 5 : back so soon?
chapter 6 : rumours & lakes
chapter 7 : a viscount's nightmare
chapter 8 : sideburns
chapter 9 : desperate times call for desperate measures
chapter 10 : foxed
chapter 11 : night of revelations
chapter 12 : let me go
chapter 13 : an offer from a bridgerton
chapter 14 : eloise's worst nightmare
chapter 15 : finding that freakin' letter
chapter 16 : finding that freakin' letter pt. 2
chapter 17 : first (fake) date
chapter 18 : good enough
chapter 19 : heart to heart
chapter 20 : a very sad, unexpected development
chapter 21: the one person
chapter 22 : the party pt. 1 | pen & colin
chapter 23 : (un)invitation
chapter 24 : the party pt.2 : anthony & amelia
chapter 25 : the party pt.3 | eloise & mabel
chapter 26 : garden
chapter 27 : light as air
chapter 28 : garden fever
chapter 29: princes & paintings
chapter 30: clandestine kisses
chapter 31: happily ruined
chapter 33 : you should be angry
chapter 34: promenades and paintings
chapter 35: intruder
the end

chapter 32: we can go home now

176 6 0
By violetknightly

from chapter 27:

"Amelia!!!" Rosalie squealed as she ran up to her in her pajamas.

"Look what I just received!!" she jumped with excitement.

Curiously, Amelia took the already opened letter out of her hands.

She began to open the letter as Rosalie danced around the room.

She pulled out the letter, "It's from Emmett."

"Mhm," Rosalie squealed."He's ready now. Amelia, can you believe it??? I'm going to be married!!!"

Without bothering to read the rest of the letter, Amelia looked up, shocked.

"Do you know what that means?" Rosalie cried out joyfully.

Amelia shook her head and frowned.

"We can go home now."

~~~~~~~~~

Amelia couldn't believe it, "what do you mean we can go home now?"

Rosalie held the letter to her chest as she jumped backward onto the bed, "Emmett. He found a job working for Leopold Alwyn's law firm."

"Who?"

"Leopold Alwyn. He's a barrister at one of the top firms in Wales."

"I don't understand. What does this mean?"

"It means he can support us now. It means we can buy a house and get married and finally be happy," she sighed with relief. "Amelia, I know this is a lot to ask, but I would love for you to come with us. I couldn't imagine being anywhere without you. I know you'd love it there."

Amelia shook her head and slumped into the chair, "Wales? But Rosalie, that's so far from here."

"I know, but from what Emmett wrote in the letter, it all sounds just wonderful!"

"What about your parents? They're in France, how do you expect them to react? They barely allowed you to come here without supervision."

"I know," Amelia said, her voice suddenly serious and calm. "It's why I'm not going to tell them."

"Rosalie, you can't."

"They would never understand! Emmett was our stable boy, and if they knew the truth, they would never let me see him again. They would never let me out of their sight until they married me off to the most pompous and awful man just because he's wealthy."

Amelia raised her voice, "so what now? You're never going to see them again? Never speak to them again? Rosalie, please don't do this."

"I didn't expect you to react like this," Rosalie huffed. "You of all people should be understanding of my situation."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Rosalie stood up, clenching the letter tightly in her palms, "you really don't think I haven't noticed your behavior lately? Coming home at odd hours, always singing and smiling. Suddenly, you're so willing to see Anthony Bridgerton, like he wasn't your biggest nuisance just mere weeks ago?"

Amelia could feel the blood rush to her cheeks, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, cut the bullshit. You like him. More than you'd ever admit. But does he feel the same way about you?"

Amelia pondered the question for a moment. Yes, he did like her back.

Right? Or was she just imagining it? She thought back to their days and nights together, the way he laughed at her jokes, how he stared into her eyes when they danced, how he kissed her goodnight. It couldn't be just her imagination running crazy.

"Yes, he does like me."

Rosalie raised an eyebrow. "Does he like you enough to marry you?"

Amelia took a step back, "what? why does that matter?"

"Anthony Bridgerton is a rake. You told me that yourself. So if he really does mean it, and he reciprocates your feeling, then he should be willing to marry you right?"

Amelia didn't know how to respond. She didn't think that far into their relationship, she was enjoying their time together as it was: light, fun & carefree. But if it continued like this, it could easily become something serious. Serious enough to get married though?

"See, you don't even know if he'd marry you," Rosalie said, noticing Amelia's inner dialogue. "Think about it. He's a viscount and you have no title, no land, no leverage."

Amelia flinched at the words. They were harsh coming from her best friend.

Rosalie took Amelia's hands into her own, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. Those things don't mean you're less of a person, you're wonderful as you are. But does Anthony see that? Or is he just toying with you until something real comes along?"

Amelia could feel tears starting to form, "I- I don't know. I'm pretty sure that we have something real."

"If he asked for your hand in marriage, what would you say?"

"I would say yes."

"And if he married you, sacrificing everything by doing so: his title, his status, his family. Would you let him?"

Amelia paused for a moment.

"I would."

"So how is that any different from Emmett and I?

Rosalie leaned back into her chair, satisfied with her argument making its point.

"I'm sorry," Amelia spoke. I should have been more understanding. If this is what you want, if Emmett is who you want, I will support you. You have my word."

Rosalie grabbed Amelia and hugged her tightly. "Thank you. I'm sorry, truly sorry, I didn't mean to be so harsh."

She pulled back from the embrace, "honestly, I think I was angry you didn't confide in me about him. I'm your best friend, you know?"

Amelia smiled,"I know, I just couldn't believe what was happening myself."

"So what now? Will you come with us to Wales? Or..." Rosalie paused, not wanting to say the words that were now lingering in the air.

Amelia stood up, heading towards the door where her jacket was hung. "You're right Rosalie. Maybe someone like him isn't meant for someone like me. But he's shown me how much he's changed since the night we met him. Rosalie, you wouldn't even recognize him now. He's kind, sweet, I know he cares about me. No matter how unlikely it'll be, no matter how insane this union may sound, I owe him a chance to fight for us. To prove that what we have is bigger than all of this. I owe myself that as well."

Rosalie helped her loop her arm into the brown corduroy jacket. "You do owe yourself a fighting chance," she smiled. "You're an amazing person Amelia, I only hope he sees that too."

~~~~~~~~

Amelia didn't go to Anthony's house that night. A quarter of the way there, she told herself it was too much, too quick. They had only parted ways hours earlier. How could she go all the way back just to tell him she might be leaving for Wales?

She ended up running back to the house, slipping into bed still in her corduroy jacket, telling herself she'd tell him the news the next time they met. And she'd be prepared; she'd know exactly what to say to get him to tell her to stay, to tell her he loves her and do whatever it takes, even if it meant marrying her.

He would say that right?

The next time came faster than she anticipated, only the next morning had she received a letter from him inviting her over.

She wasn't any more prepared than she was last night, but she couldn't decline. Their days together were numbered, and she couldn't waste their time sitting at home alone.

So she donned her best dress, even allowing Rosalie to do her makeup and hair, anything that may help convince him she's the one.

She took the carriage this time, scared she might back out again if she walked.

She stepped lightly outside the carriage and couldn't help but smile. The apartment carried so many wonderful memories. It was a stamp of everything they had together, how far they had come. She was determined to fight for them, she had to, because if she couldn't have him...

No, she shook the thought out of her head. She didn't want to think about it.

But as she walked up the stairs and knocked, looking up at the apartment that loomed over her, she knew deep inside that after tonight, it was going to carry her best memory or her worst one.

~~~~~

A/N

hi gorgeous

hope you liked

please remember to
VOTE
COMMENT
& FOLLOW :)

also i apologize for the new chapters that keep getting updated,
some of you guys have left some amazing constructive criticisms and i really took your notes to heart :)

hope you enjoyed,

BA-DUM-BYE!

- VIOLET

21/09/22

🪷🪷🪷

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.2K 848 20
After a night of wonder under flowers and fireworks, Penelope Featherington thought she was on top of the world. Things seemed to go perfectly for on...
5.8K 133 14
Duty, Honor, and Loyalty are the words that Anthony Bridgerton deemed to be his virtues. Yet if you were to ask Angel she would list out all his faul...
33.8K 1.6K 28
TURNING PAGE | ❝I surrender who I've been for who you are.❞ After the loss of her husband, Winifred Erstwhile must come to terms with her new li...
128K 3.4K 28
The tale of Her Majesty The Queen Dowager of Württemberg unfolds not as a fairy-tale love story with a happily ever after but as a narrative of growt...