The Berserk Princess (The Fla...

By Sora_Flashing12

This is Danmachi Oratoria based. Where Asuna and Aiz as the main character. Asuna who was once apart of the H... More

Chapter 1 Info & The Sword Princess and Berserk Healer
Chapter 2 The White Rabbit
Chapter 3 Memories
Chapter 4 Feelings
Chapter 5 MonsterPhilia
Chapter 6 Street Heroes
Chapter 7 A Hero's Brave, Fleeting Song
Chapter 8 The Black King
Chapter 9 Wish for Great Achievement
Chapter 10 Black Flames
Chapter 11 Conference
Chapter 12 A Hideous Beauty
Chapter 13 Homecoming
Chapter 14 Rival
Chapter 15 Elf Ring
Chapter 16 Build Up
Chapter 17 Departure
Chapter 18 Argonaut and Flash
Chapter 19 Full Speed
Chapter 20 Never Fall Down
Chapter 21 Encounter
Chapter 22 Demi-Spirit
Chapter 23 (Arc 1 finale) A Single Light
Arc 2 Chapter 24 Rest Time
Chapter 25 Denatus
Chapter 26 Healthy Day
Chapter 27 Visitor
Chapter 28 Bath Time
Chapter 29 Lost Children
Chapter 30 Co-Op
Chapter 31 (Arc 2 Finale) Sign
(Melen Arc) Chapter 32 Rank Up
(Melen Arc) Chapter 33 Travel Trouble
(Melen Arc) Chapter 34 Inquiry
(Melen Arc) Chapter 35 Telskyura
(Melen Arc) Chapter 36 Hostage
(Melen Arc) Chapter 37 Past Time
(Melen Arc) Chapter 38 War Party
(Melen Arc) Chapter 39 Burst Out
(Melen Arc) Chapter 41 Fight Back
(Melen Arc Finale) Chapter 42 Blue Sky
(Death Maze Arc) Chapter 43 Clean Up
(Death Maze) Chapter 44 Daedalus
(Death Maze) Chapter 45 Another Dungeon
(Death Maze) Chapter 46 Nightmare
(Death Maze) Chapter 47 Feast of the Dead
(Death Maze) Chapter 48 The Sword's Wind Calls
(Death Maze) Chapter 49 Ghost of the Past
(Death Maze) Chapter 50 The Bull of Heaven
(Death Maze Finale) Chapter 51 To be Yearned After
(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 52 Scorn of the Strong
(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 53 Memorial 1
(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 54 Date with Wolf
(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 55 Memorial 2
(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 56 Tears Rain
(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 57 Memorial 3
(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 58 Hunter
(Ulfheoinn) Chapter 59 Vanargand
(Ulfheoinn Finale) Chapter 60 Myosotis
(Xenos) Chapter 61 Omen
(Xenos) Chapter 62 Wandering Calm
(Xenos) Chapter 63 Someone Named Fool
(Xenos) Chapter 64 The Fairy's Rage
(Xenos) Chapter 65 Interrogation
(Xenos) Chapter 66 Radiant
(Xenos) Chapter 67 The Melancholy of a Hero. The Anguish of the Sword Princess.
(Xenos) Chapter 68 The Skirmish on Daedalus Street
(Xenos) Chapter 69 Their Respective Battle
(Xenos) Chapter 70 In Between the Chaos
(Xenos) Chapter 71 Counter Attack
(Xenos) Chapter 72 Rundown
(Xenos) Chapter 73 The Resolution of a Girl
(Xenos) Chapter 74 The Hands of God
(Xenos) Chapter 75 Hero Once More
(Xenos Finale) Chapter 76 Reconciliation

(Melen Arc) Chapter 40 Judgement

383 12 6
By Sora_Flashing12

No one's POV

The shadow raced through the dark night. It hadn't stopped since seeing those monsters appear in the port. There was something it needed to confirm. Back to the screams and chaos of the wharf in its wake, it ran all the way outside the city. It arrived at a cave, not altogether unlike the sea cave Tiona had ventured into only a short while earlier.

Cautiously, it slipped inside, not making a sound. Breath stilled, it wove its way through the ant-like tunnels of the cavern, careful not to get lost among its passageways. It didn't use a light, instead feeling the wall against its hand to lead it along, a shadow melting into the surrounding darkness as it continued forward through the gloomy tunnel.

???:—!

It was then that it saw them. Cages, seven of them, all containing a miniature viola with flower bud closed and tentacles coiled up around it. And carved into the earth around the cages were ruts, leftover evidence from the earlier journey the cages made from the city.

???: Someone turn on a light in here!

???: ?!

It came from behind—and suddenly the light of a magic-stone lantern illuminated the perimeter. It was Loki, having successfully followed the shadow without being noticed thanks to the help of her familia members. Loki shone the light on her target, revealing its true form. Everyone in the entourage she'd brought with her inhaled sharply in unison, taken by surprise at the revelation.

Loki: Not who you were expectin', was it?

The shadow, no, the man boasted a stocky frame of roughly two meders tall, and shining beneath his black crop of hair was a pair of obsidian eyes. Firm, tanned skin stretched over the muscles of his arms and chest, revealing a body perfectly honed for fishing. A human man.

Loki: Rod...wasn't it? You can't run away anymore.

Rod: My...lady...?

The Njord Familia captain, Rod, stood staring at Loki with his eyes as round as saucers. His voice caught in his throat as he looked from Loki and her magic-stone lantern to the gaggle of girls behind her. It didn't take him long to realize he'd been followed. Throwing a glance at the immature violas behind him, he finally spoke, his voice hoarse.

Rod: W-well, isn't this a surprise? How, uh...how long have you been, uh...following me? Ha-ha...Guess I was in such a hurry that I never noticed. Goddammit...

He let out an undeniably forced chuckle, trying what he could to smooth over the incriminating situation. Next to Loki and her glare of incredulity, the hume bunny Rakuta spoke up, no longer able to keep her thoughts to herself.

Rakuta: Y-you're the one who's been setting loose the violas in the lake?

Rod: That, uh...Yes! Yes, I am! It was all me! You caught me!

He suddenly blurted out, seemingly out of desperation. Eyes flashing, he raised his voice even louder.

Rod: It was definitely me! I was the one who set loose all these monsters into the—!!

Loki: All right, all right. We get it already.

Loki cut in before he could finish. She waved a flippant hand in the frozen man's direction, ever so slightly widening her vermilion eyes.

Loki: You're really gonna let your kid take all the flak for this, are ya, Njord?

A heavy silence settled down over the cave. Only after Loki's voice had echoed into the depth of the cavern and a painful silence descended did a figure emerge from the shadows. The sandal-clad foot of a finely shaped calf appeared first, followed by an auburn-tinged ponytail, hanging down loosely from the back of the man's head. It was none other than the god Njord, his face taut with pensive reflection.

Rod: S-Skip, don't...!

Rod pleaded despondently, but it was too late.

Njord: What the...hell is going on here?!

Loki: Two scumbags for the price of one, that's what's goin' on here.

Loki explained. Rakuta and the rest of Loki's followers could only look back and forth between Rod and Njord with identical confounded looks. The person, or rather god Loki had seen escaping from the scene of the violas back at the wharf had, in fact, been Njord.

But Loki hadn't been the only one to notice Njord hasty retreat. Rod had, as well. Unable to shake his god's questionably timed exit, Rod had followed him all the way to this cave, only to have Loki and her followers show up only moments later behind him.

Elfie: Then that 'confession' he gave us...?

Loki: He was just coverin' for his pop...You've got yourself a good bunch of kiddos, don't you, Njord?

While discovering his own god was behind the viola attacks must have been a considerable shock for Rod, the moment Loki and the rest of her followers had shown up, he hadn't hesitated even a second to cover for Njord—his faith in and respect for his "Skip" were just that great. Behind Rod, Njord grimaced, his features a mixture of regret and shame.

Rod:It...it can't really be true, can it, Skip? How could you unleash these monsters into the lake...?

Njord: I'm afraid it is, Rod.

Rod: Why? Why would you do something like that?!

Rod's face was twisting now, tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

Njord: I'm not the wonderful god you all believe me to be.

Njord responded, avoiding Rod's gaze and looking, instead, toward Loki.

Njord: Loki, this is all my doing...

Loki: Yeah, cat's out of the bag already. No use hidin' things now.

Loki lobbed a small bag at Njörðr's feet. The multicolored powder mixture Rod had shown Aiz and the others down at the pier the other day spilled out of the opening—the "magic dust" Rod and his men used to ward off monsters out at sea. Njord's brows creased further still.

Loki: I've been sending my kids all over. To the folks at the Guild and even to Old Man Murdock himself. Finally, I've got my evidence.

Loki continued, alluding to the bag that Aiz had given her not long ago.

Njord:...!

Njord brought a hand to his head in resignation, visibly pale. But before he could offer up a response, Rod did for him, voice laced with surprise.

Rod: Master Borg? And...the Guild? But...but what do they have to do with any of this, milady?!

Rod asked shakily.

Loki: Well... I mean...

(Elsewhere)

Riveria: Not one of you is the mastermind behind this! Everyone, these two are the real culprits of the crime.

A similar conversation was currently taking place in an empty storehouse behind the Guild Branch Office. The Guild Branch chief himself, Rubart, paled in the face of Riveria's accusation.

Rubart: What are you...? A-an accusation like that is an insult to the Guild—!

Riveria: Then what does that make you, the one who carried out the actions in question?

As chaos overwhelmed the city of Melen, the branch chief had been taking advantage of the similar commotion in the branch office to slip out of sight and cart with him a certain item to the storehouse. What he hadn't expected, though, was the sudden appearance of a green- haired high elf, and—caught red-handed—he let one of the items in his arms drop to the floor as his face twitched. The item in question was of a decidedly magic-stone make.

Riveria: The reason Melen has not called for aid from Orario, even in a dire situation such as this...is because you took out all the signal!

And, indeed, the telescope-like signal itself was right there in his hands. The series of magic-stone flashes it created was strong enough to reach the guard post along Orario's great stone walls, allowing Meren to alert the city, even from kirlos away, of any urgent distress.

Riveria: You know that if any adventurers from Guild Headquarters were to come now, they'd become instantly aware of all the dirty dealings currently occurring. For instance, our little viola situation...Am I correct?

Riveria stated, one eye closed as she stared Rubart down with the other.

Rubart:...!

Rubart's face began losing its color at a nigh unparalleled rate.

(Elsewhere)

Alicia: And the reason you kept pretending to be on bad terms with him. Was so that we wouldn't know that you two were working together...

Borg: L-Loki Familia...!

In yet a third similar conversation, Alicia was currently accosting a certain Borg Murdock, head of Meren, at his family estate. The village chief's hands were gripping the sides of a large hemp sack containing, quite clearly, the "magic dust" in question. Though he at first attempted to conceal the sack, he quickly realized such actions were too little, too late, instead simply slumping to the floor in resignation.

(Elsewhere)

Rakuta: But what could all of them have to do with those flower creatures...?

Loki could hear her followers' bewildered voices behind her but didn't reply; instead, she looked first to the motionless violas who appeared to be sleeping in their black cages, then next to the powder scattered around Njord's feet.

Loki: There're magic stones mixed in with all that stuff...ain't there?

Njord: There are.

Loki: Monster repellent magic powder. I heard you had something like this.

Njord responded, defeated. There was another collective gasp of surprise from Rod and the rest of Loki's familia. Loki, however, just moved the conversation along.

Loki: Crushed 'em up good and small to keep anyone from noticing...then mixed 'em up with fishy parts and all other sorts of raw, stinky gook...That sound about right?

Njord: Indeed. I'm impressed, Loki. I put a lot of work into that to make sure even other gods wouldn't see through it...

Loki: I had Aizuu sniff things out. She's got a nose for this kinda stuff. Snuck into Murdock's place and found his little stash of magic stones in the basement.

Njord's lips curled upward in a self-deprecating grin. Rod, still stunned between the two, cut in with his own request for clarification.

Rod: W-wait just a second here, milady! By magic stones you don't mean...mean those, do you? Those...stones inside monsters' chests?! How the devil would something like that keep those same monsters at bay?

Loki: Those flowers...Seems there's one thing they like even more than the taste of human flesh—other monsters. Or, more accurately, the magic stones of other monsters. This was news to me, too.

Loki explained, and the eyes of Rakuta and the other girls behind her widened further. This had been what Asuna and Aiz and company had reported following the last expedition. The vibrantly colored monsters such as the violas and the caterpillars were merely "tentacles" for the corrupted spirit, seeking out magic stones for the spirit to feed on.

Loki: Scatterin' this stuff with its magic stones out in the water makes the violas go crazy, drawing their attention away from the boats themselves and allowin' 'em to sail through without so much as a scratch.

When Tiona had called the magic dust "monster bait" the other day, she'd been right on the money. This was an item perfectly crafted for viola- repelling use.

Rod: But...but...but it just doesn't make sense! Why would...But other monsters, too! They didn't attack the boats, either!

Loki: Didn't I just say those flower beasties prefer the taste of their own kind?

Loki explained with a sigh.

Loki: They ate everything! 'Magic dust' and other monsters alike. Why else do you think the seas have been so peaceful lately?

As Rod's eyes widened in realization, first he, then Rakuta and the others, and finally Loki, too, all threw their gazes in Njord's direction.

Loki: But what we're really interested in isn't your little tricks. Njord, the question is, are you a member of Evilus or not?

Njord:...

Rod: E-Evilus?! No, that wouldn't happen to Skip's Njord, milady!

Rod was the first to respond. He was clearly desperate to defend his God.

Rod: Evilus killed a bunch of adventurers and innocent people... They did a lot of terrible things... B-But the Njord I know is kind and everyone respects him. He's like a father figure to us.

Loki: The Violas are being used by Evilus.

Rod:...!!

Rod seemed to have lost it all. He desperately try to cling to some illusions that his God Njord was a good guy.

Rod: Skip, what are you waiting for...?! Say something for God sake! Say something, please... Just say one word...

Njord:...

Loki: You're so miserable...

When the Violas started appearing in Orario, Loki panicked and wound up here. Loki guessed Njord thought of using the large amount of "Magic Powder" he had in reserve here. To lure the violas out of town. But...

Loki: Idiot. My kids already took care of that.

Njord:...!

Loki: You're doing more harm than good and it's going to get you killed. You should've just left the violas to their own devices, you would've only lost a few dozen to hundreds of people at most, right?

Rod who heard this gasped.

Rod: At most...? Hundreds of people is still...

Loki: It's only a hundred people.

Loki said nonchalantly. God knows how many people in this world could've died at this very moment. A thousand. Ten thousands. A city, a country burned. There's not much difference. A person could die today or in a hundred years. But to an immortal God like Loki, they're the same.

Loki: You know Njord. I should have run away. When the shit hits the fan, we just get out of here. We just lay low for a bit and wait for it to blow over. That way, we can play this game over and over again. They'll just keep popping up one after the other. Enjoy the ride as long as you like. Don't we gods just love that. Playing with humanities lives.

Loki, the cunning trickster who had the ability to change her shape and sex. She was the greatest trickster in the heavens—the one who brought demise to all creation. She hammered a reminder of why deities feared her into the god trembling on the ground beneath her.

Njord: LOKIIIIIIIIIIIIIII....!!!!!

But Njord isn't like that. He is a wise God whom love the mortal realm and wouldn't dare to lose them, especially his children. Hearing Loki said that it's fine to play with humanities lives made him snap. He grabbed the trickster goddesses collar lifting her up. But the goddess didn't look particularly faze.

Njord: I don't care what they say about me. But...! Humans...! The one thing you can never do is insult them like that...! That...!

Loki: I'm sorry, but it's just reality.

Njord: Guh...

Loki: We've seen more human being die than we can count. Even so...

Loki then smile gently as she could.

Loki: I'd still be horrified if one of my children were to die. I love every minute of our time together.

That made the fisher god eyes widened in shock. He released the trickster goddess down.

Loki: And I will never forgive anyone who makes fun of it. The ones we can't forgive are Evilus. I'm not the one you should be angry at.

Njord stood completely still. Unable to come up with a respond at all. It's true that he's leading his anger at the wrong person. The one he needs to be angry at...

Loki: It's Evilus. Am I right?

Rod: Njord...

Njord: My... It's my loss.

As Rod's eyes widened in realization, first he, then Rakuta and the others, and finally Loki, too, all threw their gazes in Njord's direction.

Loki: I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but...I just hafta ask. Why'd ya do it?

Njord's took a few steps farther inside the cavern, walking over toward a small spring before plunging his hand in the water. When his fist emerged, it was wrapped tightly around the tail of a fish.

Njord: Take a look at this fish, Loki.

It was a dodobass, big and black. Though still young, it was already as long as most other fish in their prime, and its tough ovular scales were already growing in all across its body.

Njord: Wonderful batch of scales it has, yes? All of it a result of evolution—to protect itself from the monsters in the lake.

Loki: You don't have to tell me. Things like that have been happenin' since monsters first emerged on the surface. The whole ecosystem's careening out of control.

Njord: Exactly, exactly...But this dodobass, you see, is actually quite lucky. It was somehow able to keep itself alive; its children were able to find food. Others, however, weren't so lucky...

Loki: And...that's why you set loose all those violas into the lake?

Njord's nodded, his face cheerless. Around him, Rod and the others couldn't help the somewhat sardonic half smiles that rose to their lips.

Njord: The oceans of this world, they're in a...horrid state. The increase in monsters these past five hundred years has simply been too great.

Loki: I guess that makes sense...Up on land, we're somehow able to keep 'em under control, but there aren't a lotta people who could do the same thing out on the open sea.

Njord: Yes. Poseidon and his followers did what they could, but it was a Sisyphean task from the start. If it had gone on much longer, my men and I, well...we'd have been out of jobs. And not just us—fishing would become a fool's errand in every sea of the world. I simply couldn't let that happen.

Njord's was, after all, a god of the rod. The whole reason he'd descended to the human world was to reap the bounties of its waters. Next to him, Rod, his fellow fishing captain, stood stock-still, simply listening to his deity's confession.

Njord: Melen almost reached a breaking point not long ago. The fish dropped to dangerously low levels. The lake's monsters nabbed all of them before we fishermen could reel them in. Orario, of course, had enough money that it could simply import its fish from elsewhere, but what were my men and I supposed to do?

Loki:...

Njord: Fishing is our livelihood. We have no other way of making money. But fishing requires that we venture out to sea, and with each passing voyage... my men were dying. Rod's father...and his grandfather both met their ends this way.

He smiled sadly at Loki, silent for a moment before continuing.

Njord: My blessing did them no good. They were no match for those monsters.

Rod: Skip Njord's...

Rod sniffled, looking as though he was about to cry.

Njord: Alternatively, I could have gone the Poseidon route and militarized my familia...The thought had crossed my mind. But my men would, no doubt, have had none of that. It would have been as impossible a task as Poseidon's attempt to clear the ocean! Needless to say, I'd reached quite an impasse... until I learned of these monsters' existence.

Njord concluded, throwing a glance at the violas in question.

Loki: When was that? And how was that, huh?

Njord: Seven years ago, perhaps? Or, no...six? One of them washed right down the sewers from Orario and landed in our lake.

While it had caused some damage, the beast had eventually been taken care of by a familia who'd just so happened to have been there on a trip. It was exactly when the viola had been about to attack another monster, actually —something Njord's hadn't failed to miss. Following the source of the creature, he'd made his way into Orario's sewers to investigate the matter for himself. Quite opposite of the raider fish that made their way to Orario from the lake, these man-eating flowers were, in fact, making their way from Orario. Of course, this was before the mythril gate had been installed on the sewer's drainage pipe.

Njord: It was there, prowling around as I was in the sewers without permission...that I met a human most strange.

Loki: A human? What kinda human?

Njord: Deathly pale, almost as though his very skin simply refused to absorb light from the sun. And with eyes hidden beneath long bangs...

If the strange gentleman hadn't accosted him first, Njord likely wouldn't have approached. But seeing as he had...

???: I ask for only a few things in return. Then, you may use these monsters any way you see fit, my lord.

With those words, a secret pact had been forged between them. And in return for releasing the violas into the lake and nearby ocean, Njord agreed to help the man smuggle his goods out of Melen.

Loki: Then that's why the Guild Branch Office and the Murdock estate had to get involved?

Njord: Indeed.

Loki sighed as Njord let his shoulders droop. It would have been pretty difficult to smuggle anything out of Melen without the aforementioned entities' help, after all. And given that Njord's plan would lead to safer seas and a more sustainable crop of fish, Borg had agreed. The Guild Branch Office's cooperation, meanwhile—or more specifically, Rubart's—had come out of a monetary necessity.

Njord: In order to make the powder, we needed magic stones...and getting our hands on those, or shall we say, stealing them, required the help of the Guild Branch Office...

Rubart controlled the flow of magic stones from the main headquarters. Borg processed the powder in the basement of his estate. And Njord had simply feigned innocence, continuing to fish in the lake and ocean as the violas effectively culled the overwhelming monster population.

As much as possible, the three conspirators attempted to disguise their involvement. Meanwhile, Borg made sure that every incoming and outgoing ship received a batch of the powder to ensure their safety in the waters. It was a process that had been going on for years.

Loki: And what about those folks who don't have the powder, huh? They'd still get attacked by the violas. Did you take them into account as part of your little plan?

Njord: Compared to the numbers I was losing to the myriad monsters out at sea...it seemed a small price to pay.

Njord responded with a short laugh, to which Loki just sighed. Fishing, the sea, and all those of the lower world involved in the two— Njord simply loved them too much. As charitable as he was, he'd even lent his aid readily to Loki and her followers in their own investigation.

Loki: You really are an idiot....

Rod, too, could do nothing but silently hang his head.

Loki: One more thing I wanna make clear. In any of your dealin's, did you ever come in contact with any of those Evils remnants? Or those human-monster creature hybrids?

Njord: I'm not sure I know what either of those are, so...I would assume no?

Then the true enemy they'd been tracking had nothing to do with the goings-on in the port. Loki felt a sense of futility wash over her, but she continued all the same.

Loki: But somebody had to have hauled all these violas here, right? From Orario? Then you did the duty of tossin' 'em in the lake? Who's your delivery boy?

Njord: That's, erm...well...

Loki: Spit it out, Njord.

Njord: Ishtar Familia

Njord finally admitted sheepishly.

Njord: They acted as a sort of...middlemen for us. Or perhaps intermediary would be a better word. With our mutual friend in the sewers. At any rate, they've done a lot for us, always coming to our aid when we needed it. Apparently they use some sort of agency to get in and out of the city without being seen, and they always take care of any flowers who've grown too big for their britches...

Loki: Then they're also the ones who set loose those violas in the port, I assume...

Loki mused.

Njord: I would imagine.

Seeing the unbelievable sight of the violas at the pier had been the reason Njord had come down there in the first place. Hearing that Ishtar Familia was the one responsible got the cogs of Loki's brain turning, and she mulled the familia's name around in her mind. Seeing as she'd about exhausted her supply of information from Njord.

Loki: I won't tell anyone about what you've done here, all right? After all, peace has returned to the city. But... I'm gonna have to tell the Guild about the violas. And you're not gonna be able to use 'em anymore.

Njord: All right...

Loki: Also, I'm gonna work you like a damn packhorse after this for all the trouble you put me through, y'hear? I got plenty more things I'm gonna wanna ask you.

Njord's head fell with a dispirited slump.

Njord: Right.

Loki took a moment to survey the perimeter.

Loki: That miserable midget— erm, Kali's probably usin' these tunnels as her own personal fort, isn't she?

Njord: I believe so. She and Ishtar have...some sort of agreement.

Loki: Then that means Lefiya and Tiona are here somewhere, too.

Loki nodded with a hum before turning around to face her followers.

Loki: Rakuta. Elfie. Let everyone else know that Lefiya and the others are here, would ya?

Rakuta: Everyone, Miss Loki...?

Elfie: You, Miss Aiz, and...Lady Riveria...?

Loki just grinned.

Loki: I mean everyone.

(Elsewhere)

Rubart: D-damn elven wench...!

Moonlight trickled in through the window of the dim storehouse to reveal a certain branch manager tied quite securely to one of the pillars with a length of rope. Riveria's handiwork, obviously.

Riveria: Someone from the Guild will be along sooner or later. You'll be able to confess to your crimes then.

She'd left him with this before vacating the premises not long ago. Calmly accosting him in his desperate attempt to hide the mountain of transmissions and documents that evidenced his embezzlement—not only remunerations from Njörðr but evidence as to his own personal smuggling efforts, as well—she'd opted to simply leave the whole pile for whomever happened upon the unlucky man first.

Rubart: Demand that I confessed my crimes?! How outrageous! Such insolence from a mere adventurer!! But you'll see.

For a man living in fear of a soon-to-come investigation from Guild Headquarters, things had taken an all-too-real turn for the worst.

Rubart: Even if the Loki Familia are here, they're not assembled. They will never stand a chance against Ishtar's army, they're vastly outnumbered...!

Rubart huffed, the long-faced man wriggling his body to and fro as blood pounded through his eyes. The secret knot-tying tricks of the forest high elves were not something an ordinary person could easily extricate themselves of no matter how much they struggled. And as he pulled and tugged at his bonds, face as red as a ripened tomato, he was just beginning to realize this all too fully, when suddenly.

???: Rubart Ryan! So you were up to no good, you wretched man!

Rubart:...?! Wh-who's there?!

The voice was unfamiliar, reverberating around him in the dim space of the storehouse. Jerking his head first left, then right, he searched nearby, but there was no one to be found. The only company he had was that same disquieting shadow wrapped all around him.

???: So ambitious and so accomplished, too. Even Ouranos had agreed that you might be able to turn things around for the Branch Office...and yet here you are. Oh, how the mighty fall.

Rubart: I—I command you to show yourself!

Rubart shouted into the darkness, his body trembling at the strangely ethereal voice that was neither male nor female. Then.

???: Though some of your actions may be pardonable considering your oh- so-laudable cause of restoring peace to the oceans—

A cloak of blackest night cut through the darkness, revealing a shadowy figure in front of him.

Rubart: A gh-gh-gh-gh-gh-ghost?!

Rubart screamed, half-crazed by this point as he remembered all too vividly the long-running rumors of the spirit haunting the Branch Office.

???: that doesn't condone the fact that you took advantage of your position to line your own pockets. Disciplinary measures must be taken, Rubart.

No sooner had the words left the cloaked figure's mouth than a glowing green particle of light worked its way from one of its darkened sleeves. Rubart's face went white, the green light filling his mouth and lungs and rendering him unconscious almost instantly with his eyes still open in fright.

???: To think I had to come all the way out here for this...

A grumble came from under the dark hood. With Rubart now sleeping soundly, the "ghost," Fels, looked down at the man with a good-natured slump of the shoulders. The Magus and right-hand man to the god of the Guild, Ouranos, let out a sigh.

Fels: And here I thought Loki worked her men hard. But who am I to talk?

Fels added before leaving the place. And not long after, another figure appear at the sleeping Rubart. The person standing there had blue long hair with amethyst colored eyes and pointed ears similar to an elf. She is shown to be wrapped in a blue gown like dress with three ribbons like accessories in her hair and three diamond markings on both of her legs.

???: Good grief. To think I was called to investigate such thing. Sora sure has a knack for making us busy.

The figure place two fingers to the unconscious Rubart. Her hand started glowing blue, as some sort of miracles had appear on the figures hand.

???: I see. To think that the Ishtar Familia is involved on something like that. I better contact her.

The figure closed her eyes and not long after. A voice is ringing inside her head.

???(telepathy): You called...?

???(telepathy): Slyphid, can you hear me.

The person that this figure was calling was none other than Slyphid. Sora's contracted Spirit who had been aiding him on his journey so far.

Slyphid(telepathy): Yeah. Loud and clear. And the information you sent is very useful. I'll be sure to relay them to Sora right away.

???(telepathy): He's not with you?

Slyphid(telepathy): No he's busy handling some Appolo Familia stuff.

???(telepathy): Aw... I wish I could speak to him. Or maybe I could visit Orario right now and hug him.

Slyphid(telepathy): No way...! He's mine!

???(telepathy): Aw... Your so selfish. But to think something like that is happening in Orario.

Slyphid (telepathy): Yeah, I got my hands full on my side as well. So I'm very glad that you decided to come to Melen from Sea of Tree. Are things doing okay on your end?

???(telepathy): Yeah. No anomalies on my side. The other three seemed to be handling on their side as well.

Slyphid(telepathy): The hidden World Tree at the Spirit Village. The Far East. And Primordial Flames in Olympia. Looks like you guys are doing just fine.

???(telepathy): Do you need our help in Orario?

Slyphid(telepathy): For now, no. But me or Sora will contact you and the others if we do.

???(telepathy): Alright then, I trust you. I should probably leave soon. The Loki Familia has arrived.

The figure added before looking up toward the window overhead—and the sudden sound of commotion coming from outside the storehouse.

Slyphid(telepathy): Very well. Thanks again. Do you have any message for him?

???(telepathy): Tell him that I miss him. And tell him not to do anything reckless.

Slyphid(telepathy): Hahaha! I've been saying that many times.

Indeed, the cacophony of voices was already transforming into the battle song of a forward advance. The figure who had been in contact with Slyphid disappear into thin air immediately leaving the place before she gets caught.

(Timeskip)

Asuna and company were still continuing to defend themselves against Ishtar Familia's assault. The lights of Melen or, perhaps more accurately, the lights of Melen's pier, had all been snuffed out. With the violas repelled, the last thing the citizens of Melen had expected was to find themselves with yet another violent battle on their hands in the middle of the wharf—a two- familia duel, no less—and the chaos and confusion had reached an all-time high.

Line: Why are there so many Ishtar Familia's children?!

Alicia: I don't know! But look!

At a certain item fluttering just in front of the parapets.

Line: The...Trickster emblem...?

Alicia: They're here...!

Indeed, the flag of Orario's strongest familia was currently whipping in the breeze atop the city's walls.

Bete: Like hell we're gonna let the girls have all the fun...

Spat a certain young werewolf, standing atop the wall bordering Orario's southwestern district.

Gareth: Come on, you ingrates! You gonna let those girls walk all over us? Let's do this!

Bete: Hoo-rah!!

As Bete glanced behind him, eyes glinting, the gaggle of men to his rear let out a simultaneous cry of fortitude. They thrust their weapons in the air with a zeal that bordered on manic. Meanwhile, next to them, Aki brought her hands up to cover the catlike ears on top of her head. Every one of them atop that wall had their sights set on Melen's trade pier, currently devoid of light in the distance. Even from Orario, they could see the relentless flashes of light staining the darkness like firecrackers— evidence of the sword duel currently under way.

Fiin: Ha-ha-ha, Bete certainly knows how to rile up a crowd.

Finn mused with a smile.

Gareth: Aye, but they're already fit to be tied, the whole lot of 'em...What's gone and crawled up their arses, 'ey, Raul?

Gareth turned his attention to the young man next to him.

Raul: Well, that's, erm...We ran into a certain, uh...Lightning Flash at the Flaming Wasp earlier... The Hestia Familia got a fight with Appolo Familia.

Raul responded, clad in armor from head to toe and sporting his own weapon.

Fiin: Aki! That's the Kali Familia in question over there, is it not?

Finn called out to the young catgirl. Still flustered by the testosterone pressing down around her on all sides, Aki attempted to focus.

Aki: I-it is, sir! Which means Tione and Tiona must be there, too...

She'd come rushing to Finn's and the others' sides not too long ago with the news from Loki's messenger—three pieces of news, in fact. One, a brief summary of what Kali Familia had done. Two, instructions to ready Asuna's and the others' weapons. And three, an order to rally the troops and launch an attack on Melen.

Finn: Is everyone here?

Aki: This should be everyone, yeah!

After Aki's report, Finn had ordered their flag to be erected atop the city walls posthaste as a symbol for the rest of the familia to assemble. Now, they stood there complete, with the comical grin of the Trickster gazing down at them.

Gareth: Seems we're drawin' a bit of a crowd. Ye think it'll be a problem, Finn?

Finn: Ganesha Familia, at least, hasn't shown any signs of movement. We should be fine. You've delivered the magic letter to the Guild as I instructed, right, Aki?

Aki: Sure did...

Aki replied with a tired sigh. Indeed, the Trickster flag had garnered the attention of more than just Loki Familia. Even now, far down on the ground below, gods and civilians alike were beginning to gather, all of them pointing up at the Loki Familia assemblage as they whispered.

Civilians: What's going on?

The magic letter, on the other hand, was a memo written by Loki for Ouranos—it explained the current situation in Meren, the underhanded dealings of the Guild Branch Office, and more than a few threatening complaints regarding the entire affair. Aki had expedited the letter just as her goddess had asked, which explained her current fatigue.

Finn: What of Asuna, Aiz and the others' weapons?

Gareth: Primed and ready. Thanks to the servicin' Tsubaki gave 'em during the expedition, it didn't take much to get 'em ready for the next fight.

Gareth assured him.

Bete: I've got Asuna's and Aiz's sword.

Bete added.

Raul: W-wait a second! Does this mean I have to carry Misses Tione's and Tiona's weapons all by myself?!

Raul this time. And it was true, the weapons had already been passed out, with Aiz's Desperate going to Bete, Riveria's staff going to Finn, and Tiona's giant oversized Urga falling directly into Raul's unlucky hands. But no one paid him any mind, Finn turning around to address the rest of the group now that their preparations were complete.

Finn: All right then, everyone! Our mission this time is to meet up with a certain pair of rambunctious sisters. While this may not seem like much...I assure you we're going to have our hands plenty full.

Aki: You're tellin' us!

Raul: I just hope Miss Tione doesn't let me have it too hard!

As Finn shrugged, the rest of the men half joked, half yelped in fear. But even as they jested, ferocious grins of anger toward the ones threatening their companions proliferated throughout the entire group.

Finn: These are direct orders from Loki. We're to find the two of them...and bring the hammer down.

The eyebrows of everyone present lifted in surprise. Then Finn's smile vanished. In four words, he spurred them into action.

Finn: Troops! Let's move out!

The reaction was immediate as they all leaped off the side of the towering walls in one fell swoop. Bracing themselves for landing, they made sure their eyes never left their target—the city of Melen, veiled in darkness in front of them. Loki Familia's ridiculously powerful reinforcements were on their way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.7K 475 18
Bell was always inspired to be a hero since he was a child. Now that he's older, he can carve his path into becoming the last hero Orario needs. Read...
40.3K 543 13
Story inspired by: @HirukoEmiyo Traditional oc story What else can i put here
199K 8.1K 110
Sirius gets reincarnated into Danmachi with one wish from a higher goddess as Bell arrives in Orario. But instead of continuing the story alongside B...
87.5K 2.5K 14
An immortal but not a God. He opened a noodle specialist store and met a kid going down the path of an Avenger and...took her in until she found a Fa...