A Father's First Steps

By allthewritem0ves

Sam and Gluntz welcome the newest family member to the world. More

A Father's First Steps

191 5 0
By allthewritem0ves

"I'm gonna be a dad! I'm gonna be a dad!"

Sam remembered shouting that out on New Year's Day as his girlfriend, Gluntz, entered her third weekmester. In the intermediate days, they received the ultrasound of their baby. However, they wanted the baby's gender to be a surprise to themselves in addition to everyone else.

Now today that surprise was gonna be revealed.

It was after midnight when Gluntz suddenly started shaking his arm, yelling, "Sam! The baby's coming!"

His eyes snapped open at once. "Oh my! We better get moving!" At once, he carried their suitcase in one hand and Gluntz in both arms as he raced out of the house.

Sam was in a hospital ward with Gluntz on the bed. She was taking quick breaths, occasionally stopping to shout when another contraction hit her.

"You're almost ready, Gluntz", the doctor said. 

"I hope so", she said, half worriedly, half tiredly.

Sam cupped her hand in both of his. "I'm here for you, Gluntz."

She turns her head and smiles at him.

"GAH!", she cried out. Her grip tightened on Sam's hand, going from zero to one hundred.

"Okay. You're fully dilated. It's time."

Sam gasped in excitement. He tapped his palm on the back of her hand.

Gluntz did not feel the same enthusiasm as Sam. She kept her eyes closed tightly, breathing in a rapid and panicked manner.

Sam wanted to say It's gonna be okay, but that was such a cliché. He simply brought Gluntz's knuckles up and kissed them.

"Push", said the doctor.

And she did.

——

Gluntz only screamed whenever she had to. A lot of her lower body and abdominal strength went into pushing out that baby. She exerted a smidge of her upper body strength squeezing Sam's hand, and if that was just a smidge, who knows how strong her grip could really be if she wasn't holding back. However, she was squeezing his right hand, which had the missing finger.

"Sorry, Sam", she said through gritted teeth.

"It's fine. I understand."

Gluntz almost said No you don't!, but she knew Sam was just trying to be supportive.

"All right, Gluntz. You're almost there. Just a few more", the doctor said in an encouraging tone.

Gluntz didn't think she had any strength left in her. She was almost ready to call it quits. But that's not how she does it. The BADGUYS don't give up until the job's done. Even though her job was protecting endangered animals, everyone knew her drive to the cause was unbreakable.

This was just another thing to drive for, but this time, for a personal cause. And she was gonna uphold her indestructible values.

Soon after, she let out another "GAH!" and it was all over. As she let out a long, quavering sigh, there was the sound of a baby crying as it took its first breaths.

Gluntz opened her eyes at last to see the doctor wrapping the baby in a blanket.

"Congratulations, you two. You have a baby girl."

——

As Gluntz held their newborn daughter, Sam could feel tears overflowing in his eyes. He tried to talk, but couldn't trust himself not to scream out in pure joy.

He reached a trembling hand out toward his daughter and stroked her head. The baby's eyes fluttered open and shifted her gaze between her mother and father.

It took all of Sam's willpower to not start bawling. A gasp caught in his throat.

"Oh, Sam. She's perfect", said Gluntz in a quiet voice. She kissed the baby's forehead.

"Isn't she?", Sam replied. Gluntz then handed the baby to him. He was a bit anxious to take her, knowing that holding her would feel off-balance in account of his missing digit.

"It's alright, Sam. You can do it."

"I hope so."

"I know so."

Sam chuckled nervously. He finally held his little girl, his hands trembling slightly.

"Relax", Gluntz told him.

"I'm trying", he said. After taking a moment to collect himself, he finally stopped shaking so much.

Now that she was right in front of him, Sam really took in her appearance. The baby had her mother's ears and pale yellow fur color. The most notable thing she'd acquired from her father was a very small strand of white hair on top of her head, but none on the sides. Nevertheless, Sam loved his daughter dearly.

"Gluntz, do you mind if I show our little girl to everyone?"

"Not at all."

And Sam went around the hospital, his and Gluntz's baby in his arms, proudly yelling out, "Hey, everyone! I'm a father! I have a little girl!"

——

The next morning, Sam was lying alongside Gluntz on the bed, his arm reaching over to pet the top of the baby's head.

It was then their first wave of guests arrived. It was Pam and Grinch. They came in carrying pink balloons that said 'It's a girl!' on them.

"Hey, you two!", Pam said in a low but still excited voice. "Or should I say, you three!"

"Hi, Mom!", said Sam, getting up. He hugs his mother and then Grinch. "Or should I say, Grandma."

Pam laughs. "Touché."

"How are you feeling, Gluntz?", Grinch asked.

"Fine. Thanks", she answered.

Pam walked over to the bed and smiled when she saw her granddaughter. Like Sam before her, she had tears welling up in her eyes. "Oh. How cute." The baby started reaching excitedly at Pam. "May I hold her?", she asked Gluntz.

"Of course."

Pam held the baby, smiling down at her, softly bouncing her arms. She twiddled her fingers in front of the baby. She walked over to her boyfriend, who also smiled widely. Pam handed her granddaughter to Grinch, who raised her up to get a better look at her in the light.

"Did you two name her yet?", he asked.

They did indeed. Sam and Gluntz exchanged a knowing glance to each other. Gluntz sat up and said, "I think you should do the honors, Sam."

He nods and turns around.

"Her name is Molly", he said. I've always liked that name, he said to himself. "Molly-I-Am."

"Well, hel-lo, little Molly", Grinch said in a sing-song voice. He then handed her back to Pam, who now had tears flowing.

"Molly-" She sniffles. "Welcome to the family."

Soon after, Guy, E.B., Michellee and Guy Jr. all came by to see the new baby.

"Aww, look at her!", E.B. squealed.

"You can hold her if you want", said Sam.

E.B. nodded vigorously and eagerly held her hands out. Pam hands Molly to her. The girl was speechless.

Michellee stepped closer and shared in the sentiment. "You two did a great job with her", she said.

Gluntz and Sam held each other's hands and blushed.

Guy took his son's hand and waved it for him. "Say hi to Molly, Guy Jr." E.B. turned herself so Junior could have a clear view of the other baby. He lets out a cry of pure happiness.

It was unlike any sound any of them have heard him make before.

"Guess that means he's really happy to see her", Guy suggested.

Then, finally, one last guest stopped by. Someone none of them, sans Pam and Grinch, had seen in quite some time. He showed up at the door, having been led the way by a nurse. Gluntz gasped as their new guest walked in.

It was her old partner, McWinkle.

"Hey, agent", he said, his voice still gruffy. "Hey, everyone."

Guy, Michellee and E.B. each said their hellos.

"McWinkle!", Gluntz shouted. She stands up at the ready, her legs wobbling. The others all made confused looks.

McWinkle chuckles. "At ease, Gluntz. I'm here to congratulate you."

"Oh. Right." She laughs awkwardly and sits back down on the bed.

"Okay then. Can I see the baby?"

"Here she is", said Sam. He takes Molly from E.B. and hands her over to the ex-agent.

McWinkle made a rare smile. "What'd you name her?"

"Molly", her mother answered.

The baby reached her small hands out, trying to grab the furry jowls on either side of McWinkle's mouth.

"Now, now, Molly", he told her. He tickled her belly, making her laugh.

Both her parents's hearts melted when their little girl's laugh reached their ears. Gluntz put her hands right over her chest. Sam wiped a tear away.

"You know, McWinkle? You really are good with kids", said Gluntz.

"Thanks. I've had plenty of practice. My son and his wife had a child last year."

Gluntz gasped. "I didn't know you had a son."

"Wasn't relevant to our mission. But now you know. And now, I also have a grandson."

"Welcome to the club", said Pam.

"Thanks. And you are?"

"Pam-I-Am. Sam's mother."

They shook hands. "Pleasure to meet you, Ms. I-Am. Can definitely see the resemblance."

"And I'm Grinch", he introduced, offering his hand.

"I've heard all about you, good sir. So pleased to finally meet you."

"Charmed."

McWinkle then says to Pam again, "Also, congrats to you on your grandchild."

"Likewise."

He responds with another rare smile.

"By the way, how did you know Gluntz was having a baby?", Guy asked. "Just curious."

"Chief Bigman told me. I still keep in touch with him", McWinkle explained.

Guy nods in understanding.

"He's got the entire department excited. I think you'll be in for a big surprise when you get back to work, Gluntz."

——

The next day, as the new parents were preparing to go back home with their new daughter in tow, Sam suddenly got a call.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Is this Sam-I-Am's number?"

"Yes it is! Who's calling?"

"It's Melanie, your half-sister."
———
Cover art by Amityblight222

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

469K 31.6K 47
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
23M 805K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...
961K 21.9K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
665K 33.6K 61
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...