Lionhearted [ON HOLD FOR NOW]

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Eliza has had no shortage of adventure. But her greatest is yet to come. A chance encounter while working wit... More

Aesthetic
Epigraph
01. The Heart of the Truest Believer
02. Quite a Common Fairy
03. Nasty Habits
04. Good Form
05. Ariel
06. Dark Hollow
07. Think Lovely Thoughts
09. The New Neverland
10. Going Home
11. New York City Serenade
12. Witch Hunt
13. The Tower
14. Quiet Minds
15. It's Not Easy Being Green
16. The Jolly Roger
17. Bleeding Through
18. A Curious Thing
19. Kansas
20. Snow Drifts
21. There's No Place Like Home
22. A Tale of Two Sisters
23. Rocky Road
24. Family Business
25. The Snow Queen
26. Smash the Mirror
27. Fall
28. Shattered Sight
29. Heroes and Villains
30. Heart of Gold
31. Lily
32. Mother
33. Operation Mongoose (Part One)
34. Operation Mongoose (Part Two)
35. The Dark Swan
36. The Price
37. Siege Perilous
38. The Broken Kingdom
39. Dreamcatcher
40. The Bear and the Bow
41. Nimue
42. Birth
43. The Bear King
44. Broken Heart
45. Swan Song
46. Souls of the Departed
47. Labor of Love
48. Devil's Due
49. The Brothers Jones
50. Our Decay

08. Save Henry

83 1 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

NEVERLAND - PRESENT - SKULL ROCK

Emma, Eliza and Regina were persistently trying to shake Henry awake, but he remained motionless.

"Oh god, is he unconscious?" Emma asked.

"Henry, can you hear us?" Regina wondered.

"He passed out as soon as his heart went into Pan," Neal explained.

"Is he breathing?"

"I don't know."

From the air, Pan descended down.

Emma turned to Pan and asked, "What the hell did you do to him?"

"Oh, I didn't do anything, Emma," Pan replied. "It was Henry. He offered me his heart of his own free will."

Emma unsheathed her sword. "I'm gonna take it back from you." As she lunged forward, Pan disappeared out of thin air.

Eliza pulled out her bow and nocked an arrow. "Where'd you go?!"

Pan grabbed Pandora's Box from a rock. "I don't think you have it in you." Emma turned around in surprise. "Rumplestiltskin didn't." He tossed the box around in his hands. "Why should you?"

"Where is he?"

"What did you do?" Neal demanded.

"Oh, he's right in this box," Pan answered. "Safe and sound. And out of the way. Unfortunately for you, he can't hurt me anymore. And neither can you."

"Really?" Emma retorted and she took a hit at him. Her sword cut his arm. "How did that feel?"

"Like a tickle." He flew into the air and retreated.

Emma knelt next to Henry and said to Regina, "How is he?"

Regina rubbed Henry's chest. "You're going to be all right, Henry. We're gonna get you home."

STORYBROOKE - PAST - ELEVEN YEARS AGO

In her home, Regina was scribbling on paper. Archie stood before her desk. "You, uh, wanted to see me?" Archie asked.

"Yes, I did," Regina replied.

"Well, if this is about Pongo's dog license, I believe it's still up to date."

"This has nothing to do with your dog." She dropped a pen on a table.

"Madam Mayor, are you all right?"

"I'm okay."

"Excuse me for saying so, but you don't seem okay."

"I don't tolerate that sort of bluntness. I'm the Que—" she paused, "—the mayor."

"I am a therapist." He smiled. "That's why you asked me here, isn't it? What is bothering you? What are you feeling?"

"Nothing. I'm feeling nothing."

"If I were to guess, I would say you're a driven woman and sometimes that can leave a hole."

"A what?"

"A hole. An emptiness. There's more to life than work. Maybe that's why you feel dissatisfied."

Regina said defensively, "I am not dissatisfied. I love my life."

"What's the point if you've got no one to share it with?"

"There's that bluntness again."

"Has there ever been a time in your life when you haven't felt this way?"

"When that little boy visited." She smiled. "Owen."

"A child. That can bring so much meaning."

Regina entered Mr. Gold's Pawnshop and said, "I need a child, Gold, and I need your help."

"Well, I'm flattered, but uninterested," Mr. Gold replied.

"Not like that. I spent all morning talking to adoption agencies. The wait lists are over two years long. But you, Gold, you know how to cut through red tape. And if anyone can work the system and find me a baby, it's you."

"You wish to adopt?"

"Well, don't look so surprised."

"Oh, I'm not. I'm sure you'll make a... well, a mother of some sort."

"Can you help me?"

"Of course I can. But a word of caution. Ask yourself if this is something you're ready for."

"It's something I need."

"Well, that may not be the same thing. I'll get you a child." Regina walked towards the door to leave. "But whether or not that's helping you remains to be seen. When you become a parent, you must put your child first. No matter what."

NEVERLAND - PRESENT - SKULL ROCK

Regina was casting a preservation spell on Henry's body. "This preservation spell can keep him in this condition for a while longer. Buy us time to get to Pan."

Emma said to Neal, "You were a Lost Boy. Any idea where he went?"

"Well, I, I know where he lived. Where his compound..." Neal was cut off.

"That's idiotic," Regina retorted. "We all know that. Think he's stupid enough to go back? Please."

"Enough," Emma said.

"Don't tell me what's enough. My son is dying!"

"Our son. So, yes, I know how you feel."

"You have no idea what I feel. You have your parents. You have this—" she gestured to Neal, "—person; a who pines for you. You have everything and yet you claim to know what I feel? " Her voice broke. "All I have is Henry and I'm not about to lose him because he is everything."

Emma knelt down. "You're right. I don't know what you feel. So what do you want to do? You want to run the show? Run it. How do we save Henry?"

Regina answered quietly, "I don't know."

"Even if we can find Pan, he was powerful before. With Henry's heart, I-I don't know if we can hurt him."

Regina looked at Emma's sword. "Yes, we can. Look." She pointed to the blood on the weapon. "You nicked him. He can bleed. We can hurt him. And if we can hurt him, we can kill him. And we will."

PAN'S LOST BOY CAMP

Henry's body was lying on a bed cot.

Mary Margaret, in dismay, said, "Gold is in a box. And David can never leave the island."

"Mary Margaret, that doesn't matter," David told her. "I've already made peace with that. What matters is Henry." He turned to Regina. "How much time do we have left?"

"Maybe an hour before the preservation spell wears off," Regina guessed.

"If he's airborne, he could be anywhere on the island," Neal said.

"An hour isn't much time," Hook warned. "I suggest we get started looking."

Regina ignored Hook's suggestion and stomped over to Felix. " Where is he?!"

"Gone," Felix replied. "There's nothing you can do. He's already won. Pan never fails."

"You won't talk? How about I make you talk?" She moved to rip out his heart, but was stopped by Emma.

"Regina, wait," Emma told her.

"There's no time!"

"I don't think torture is our best move here. Look at these kids. They've been to hell and back. We need to try something else."

"Yeah, we tried the cute and cuddly. They don't respond to reason. What else do you have to offer?"

Emma glanced at Mary Margaret. "What every kid wants. A mother."

Eliza blinked back tears. Emma was right. All she wanted was her mother back, but it was too late.

STORYBROOKE - PAST - ELEVEN YEARS AGO

Regina entered the pawnshop and said, "You have news?"

"Yes," Mr. Gold replied. "Fate may be on your side. This morning, I, uh, spoke with an agency that had placed a baby boy from Phoenix with a family nearby in Boston."

"With a family? How's that fate?"

"Because at the last minute, the adoption fell through. It happens."

Regina smiled. "So the baby still needs a home."

"Indeed. As they say, fate appears to be on your side." He pulled out a folder from the table. "The agency is in Boston." Regina took the folder.

ADOPTION AGENCY - BOSTON

Regina was being interviewed as a candidate for the infant boy.

"Well, Ms. Mills, your application is almost too good to be true," the adoption agent said. "I mean, your references are impeccable and this town you live in—Storybrooke—you're the mayor?"

Regina nodded. "Third term. All unopposed."

The adoption agent took off his glasses. "I've never heard of Storybrooke."

"Oh, it's a hidden gem. Peaceful. Perfect for children. It's like a fairy tale. You should come visit sometime."

"I get two weeks off a year, and all due with respect, Sandals has an inclusive buffet. You got that in Storybrooke?"

"I'm afraid not."

"Anyway, I've explained your rights and responsibilities, but there's one item I'd like to go over in detail. This is a closed adoption, which means you'll never be able to contact your son's birth parents. It's complete information blackout. Parents' names, ethnicity, genealogical records. You won't have access to any of it."

"I'm concerned with my son's future, not his past."

"Well, then, congratulations. You ready to meet your son?"

"Yes!"

The adoption agent hit a call button on his phone. Regina looked out the door to see a woman carrying in an infant boy. The woman set him in Regina's arms.

Regina spoke to the baby. "Well, hello there. It was fate wasn't it? Henry."

"Henry, huh? You don't meet a lot of Henrys nowadays. Very old world."

"It was my father's name. He passed some time ago."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it was peaceful at least." Henry began crying. Regina unsteadily rebalanced him in her arms. "You need some help?"

"Oh, no, no. I've got it." She spoke to Henry. "Come on, Henry. Let's go home."

NEVERLAND - PRESENT - PAN'S LOST BOY CAMP

Neal was watching over Henry's body, Eliza sat nearby, while Emma started a discussion with the Lost Boys.

Emma said to the Lost Boys, "Guys, listen to me. We are not going to hurt you. I know you're loyal to Pan and I get that, but you are making a terrible mistake. For a long time, I thought I was never gonna find my family. I was an orphan like all of you. A lost girl. And I was reminded today that I am not alone." She looked to her parents. "That I have a lot of people who love me." David and Mary Margaret smiled at each other. "And I never thought that was gonna happen. If that can happen to me, it can happen to you."

"Pan is the only family we need," Felix argued.

"No, family doesn't do what he did. Pan lied to you and made you do terrible things. He lied to Henry and convinced him to give up his own heart!"

"To save the island," Lost Boy one said.

"No, to save himself."

Felix told the Lost Boys, "Don't listen to her. Pan cares about all of us."

"No, he doesn't. We care about you. And we can save you. We can take you home with us. To our land. There's no reason to fear Pan anymore. Until he absorbs the power from Henry's heart, he can be stopped."

"You just have to tell us where he is," Mary Margaret said.

Felix stood before warning, "Leave now while Pan still allows you to breathe." Hook forced him back down with his hook hand. "That's the only hope you'll get."

Emma asked Felix, "Where is Pan?"

"Not. Telling."

Lost Boy one turned to Emma and asked, "Can you really bring us home?"

"Shut your mouth!"

Emma knelt in front of the Lost Boy. "Yes, with your help."

"His thinking tree," Lost Boy one replied.

Felix grew horrified and cried, "No!"

"Yes, his thinking tree," Lost Boy two informed.

"Stop it! All of you!"

Emma asked the Lost Boy, "What is that?"

"That's where he goes when he wants to be alone," Lost Boy one answered.

"You can find him there," Lost Boy two added. "It's not far."

"No, don't trust her!" Felix yelled.

Emma asked the Lost Boy, "Can you tell us where that is?"

"But you have to swear... swear that you'll take us with you," Lost Boy one told him.

"I promise." She added tearfully, "We are going home."

STORYBROOKE - PAST - ELEVEN YEARS AGO

Regina was sitting at a table booth having lunch while Henry cried noisily in his baby carrier. She attempted to soothe him while Granny looked on.

"Who's this bundle of joy?" Granny asked.

"Do you have a problem with him crying?" Regina retorted.

"No, of course not."

Regina tried to calm down her son. "Shhh. Okay, it's time to be quiet now. It's time to be quiet." She turned back to her plate of food, and saw Granny still standing over her. "What?!"

"Do you want some advice? Try a story. That's how they soothe themselves. A bedtime story. Gets them used to your voice. Worked with Ruby. Her issues started later." She walked off.

Henry continued crying loudly.

Regina rocked his baby carrier. "Hey. Okay, okay. It's okay." She took him into her arms and cradled him against her shoulder. "Once upon a time there was—" Henry vomited on her. "Ugh. Oh."

HOSPITAL

Henry's heartbeat was examined by Dr. Whale with a stethoscope. Henry's insistent wailing persisted.

"Well, his heart is as strong as a locomotive." He pulled off the stethoscope ear pieces. "And his lungs are healthy, clearly."

"Well, what about a blood test?" Regina asked. "Or a chest x-ray?"

"Is he a smoker?"

"What?"

"Look, it's obvious what the problem is. He's a crying baby."

"I paid for this?"

"Actually, your insurance did."

"What do I do?"

"I can prescribe you something." He pulled aside the curtain. "Ten ccs of maternal love." He nodded at Regina and walked away.

"Dr. Whale. No one loves their child more than me. Which means there is something is wrong with my son. Your job is to help him. Do it."

"Sure, I can order additional testing, but with babies, there are risks. And it's generally nothing and not worth it."

""Generally?""

"Well, in some cases, there could be something abnormal happening. But we'd need the birth mother to find out."

Regina crossed her arms. "You mean the woman who abandoned him? You think she can soothe him? I'm his mother."

"You misunderstand me, Regina. If something were in fact wrong with the babies, maybe there's something in her medical records, something genetic that could be causing the problem. Look, the only people we can help us fill the blanks are the biological parents."

"But it was a closed adoption. There's no way to contact them."

Regina walked through the children's hospital ward. She cradled Henry with one arm while using the other to converse with Sidney on the phone.

"Sidney, grab a pencil," Regina said. "There's an adoption agency in Boston on Dartmouth Street." She passed Mary Margaret.

Sidney, on the phone, replied, "Say again. There's noise on the line."

Regina turned to Mary Margaret. "Ms. Blanchard."

Mary Margaret saw Henry. "Who's this?"

"Meet Henry." She handed him over to her.

"Oh."

"Make yourself useful." She returned to her phone conversation. "Boston Angels Adoption on Dartmouth Street." Henry's cries subsided. "I need the name of Henry's biological mother."

"Isn't that against the law?" Sidney asked.

"Well, that's why I called you, Sidney. Because I know for me you'll do whatever it takes. I need this done. There's something wrong with my son. He won't stop cr—" she turned, and was shocked to hear Henry was quiet, "—crying."

Mary Margaret happily smiled and held a content Henry.

Regina said into the phone. "J-just do it." She hung up and approached Mary Margaret. "How did you do that?"

Mary Margaret startled and asked, "Do what?"

"Make him stop crying."

"Well, I'm just holding him." She smiled. "He's so sweet."

Regina moved to take him back. Henry choked out a cry, which turned into a wail when she tried to bounce him in her arms.

Regina, in dismay, said, "No. No, no, no."

Mary Margaret apologized, "I'm so sorry. I didn't... did I do something wrong?"

"No. No, you didn't. It's me."

NEVERLAND - PRESENT - PAN'S LOST BOY CAMP

Wendy placed a rag on Henry's forehead. Neal briefly looked before regrouping with the rest of his party members as a conversation was ongoing.

Regina said to the Lost Boys, "The Pixie Woods? That's where he is?"

"It's just north of here," Lost Boy one replied. "It's where the pixie dust used to grow."

Emma stood and asked Hook, "You know where that is?"

"Aye," Hook answered. "The whole region is deserted now. No one but Pan has set foot in those woods in centuries."

"Then let's make history," Neal said.

Emma turned to Neal. "We're gonna need you here. Once we get Henry and Aubree's hearts, it's gonna be a race back. We need help on both ends."

"Okay."

"What do you need from us?" David questioned.

"Let's gather up the Lost Boys. Get 'em aboard the Jolly Roger." The Lost Boys grinned excitedly at each other. "Prepare the ship to fly."

"Let's hope you have a Pegasus sail," Hook said. "Otherwise, we're at the mercy of the trade winds."

Neal held up a coconut. "Pan's Shadow is in here. It'll get us home, long as your ship holds together."

"As long as your plan holds together, she will."

Neal turned to Emma. "Henry and Eliza are gonna be with me the entire time. Nothing is gonna happen while you two are away."

"You mean three," Mary Margaret corrected, causing, Emma and Neal turned to look at her. "I may be trapped on this island for the rest of eternity, so if you think I'm not going to be spending my last moments with my daughter, you're crazy."

"Okay," Emma agreed. "Let's do it."

STORYBROOKE - PAST - ELEVEN YEARS AGO

In her house, Regina was trying to get some work done on the kitchen counter, but found herself losing focus because of Henry's continuous cries.

Regina got up. "Henry. Henry, I promise if you just tell me what you want, I'll do anything for you. Anything." She picked him up from the baby carrier and bounced him and her voice broke. "Please, give me a chance." He cooed quietly as she placed a kiss on his forehead. Henry became silent. Regina sighed in relief. "Thank you."

Her cell phone rang.

Regina picked up the phone. "Sidney. What'd you find?"

"The agency was a dead end, but I worked my magic with the health department," Sidney replied. "Found out all about their mother. I'm faxing over the information right now." The fax machine in the kitchen printed out paper. "You should have it any second now."

"It's here." She hung up and read the printed paper and was stunned. "No."

---

Regina stormed in to the pawnshop with Henry in his baby carrier.

Regina said to Mr. Gold, "You knew."

"Knew what, exactly?" Mr. Gold asked.

She placed Henry's baby carrier on the floor. "The boy that you located for me in Phoenix... his mother was found in the woods outside of Storybrooke eighteen years ago."

"What a starling coincidence."

"Eighteen years ago."

"I fear I'm missing the significance. You have to forgive me; my memory is not what it used to be."

"Henry's mother was found as a baby on a very significant day. The day this town... this town..."

"This town what?"

"She's important, isn't she? This mother."

"Is she important? I suppose inasmuch as she gave birth to your son."

"You... you built this into this whole thing, didn't you? You made this happen because the mother... she's..."

"She's what, madam mayor? This mother you seem to fear so much."

"Oh, you really know nothing of what I'm talking about."

"Well, I know you're upset, that much is clear."

"You told me I'd come to you. That I'd have a hole in my heart. And..." she was shocked, "...you want this to end. This town. What I built. You want to destroy it all by bringing the mother back! That's why you did all this!!"

"Do you know you have dark circles under your eyes? A weary tremble in your voice. Poor thing. Look what motherhood has done to you."

"Play dumb all you want, you little imp. You should know who you're dealing with by now. I sacrificed everything to build this life! And nothing will tear me away from my revenge!" She picked up the baby carrier and headed toward door. "Henry goes back to Boston tomorrow!"

NEVERLAND - PRESENT

Emma, Mary Margaret and Regina treaded towards the thinking tree in Pixie Woods.

Regina saw Pandora's Box sitting on a rock. "Look."

Emma took out her sword as they all approached the tree. Mary Margaret set aside her bag of arrow shafts on the ground and moved to take the box.

"Careful," Regina warned and Mary Margaret stopped. "Pan wouldn't have just left it behind for no reason."

"It's David's only way home," Mary Margaret told her. "Without Gold, we're stuck here—" She tried to grab the box, but vines ensnared her from behind.

"Mary Margaret!" Emma called.

Mary Margaret was flung against the tree and tied in place by the vines. Emma and Regina were dealt the same fate. In the process, Emma dropped her sword. They struggled against the vines, but it did nothing.

Pan walked out from behind the tree and asked, "Are you still at it? Don't you know?" He picked up Emma's sword. "Peter Pan never fails. I didn't expect you to find me. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. You're mothers. Quite tenacious about your offspring. Believe it or not, I understand that. But if you're looking to see Henry again, I have to tell you there's only one place you'll be reunited—in death."

Angered, Regina glared at him and hassled against the tightly bound vines.

STORYBROOKE - PAST - ELEVEN YEARS AGO - BOSTON

Regina walked into the adoption agency office with Henry in tow as well as all his baby necessities in a bag.

Regina set down the baby carrier and the bag on the desk and took out paper. "I wrote out instructions for his bedtime, naptime, and feeding." She gave the paper to adoption agent.

"Ms. Mills, I can assure you, the baby will be in expert hands here," the adoption agent told her.

"I know. I'm just sad this couldn't work out. Circumstances were... unforeseen."

"Not every child is a right fit for the parent. And sometimes putting the child first can mean having the strength to give them up."

Regina crossed her arms. "Where will Henry go next?"

"We already have a new family lined up. He's going to be just fine." Regina noticed Henry smiling at her.

"I'll tell you what. You take a minute. I'll be right back, okay?" He exited the office.

Regina sniffled. "Oh, Henry. You deserve better than me. You truly are the only one in all the realms who believes in me." She held his left hand, then picked him up.

The adoption agent reentered the room. "Would you like me to hold him so we can get the last written signature?"

"No, that won't be necessary." She smiled. "Henry is my son." She placed him back in the carrier and grabbed the bag. "The best thing for Henry is to stay with a mother who will never let go of him. Ever again." She left with Henry.

Outside the room, the adoption agent walks up to the pair who were next in line to become Henry's adoptive parents. The window glass obscured the view of them.

"I'm afraid there's been a hiccup," the adoption agent said. "You'll have to go back on the waiting list. The mother changed her mind. I'm sorry."

"We lost him?" Michael asked.

"Yes, but I can put you back on the list—"

The pair turned and walked away before he could finish. It was John and Michael Darling.

"Pan will not be pleased," Michael told his brother.

"Which is why we don't give up," John replied. "We will get that child."

NEVERLAND - PRESENT - THE THINKING TREE IN THE PIXIE WOODS

Pan said to the trio, "Having trouble moving? Not surprised, given where you are. You see, what's hastening your demise is your regret."

"What are you talking about?" Emma asked.

Pan looked up. "This tree is the site of a very important event for me. I abandoned my boy here."

"You have a son?" Regina questioned.

"I'm older than I look."

"If you have a child, you must regret losing him, too," Emma said.

"But I don't. Quite the opposite, actually." He took the box. "See, I have him all boxed up so I don't lose him again."

"Rumpelstiltskin is your son?" Regina asked.

"That he is."

Mary Margaret frowned. "How's that possible? You're-"

"Younger than him?" He smiled. "Not really. Just like you and your daughter."

"You're a fraud," Regina retorted. "Your magic is weakened. You can't even hurt us; let alone Rumpelstiltskin."

"You're right. But that's why I'm here. This tree will protect me till my power's restored. And then, well... then I get to have some real fun. Then I won't ever have to worry about my child again. Something we will all soon have in common."

Emma lunged at him, but failed because of the vines. "There has to be another way."

"You're not going to get to me. See, this tree attacks the regret inside anyone who comes here, and you, you've got plenty."

"I regret not taking a better shot at you when I had the chance."

"That's not all, is it, savior? No. I have your son and daughter's hearts inside me. I can feel just how much you let them down time and time again."

"Leave her alone," Mary Margaret ordered.

"Perhaps I should. After all, what chance did she have of being a good mother? Look at the example you set. Abandoning her for twenty-eight years."

"Are you finished?" Regina asked.

"Last words from the Queen. Perhaps a deathbed confession from the one who has the most regrets of all."

"Yeah, there's one problem with that. I did cast a curse that devastated an entire population. I have tortured and murdered. I've done some terrible things. I should be overflowing with regret, but, I'm not." She pulled herself, as well as her companions, free from the vines. "Because it got me my son." She ripped out Henry's heart from Pan's chest and Pan collapses on the ground and reached for the box, but Regina picked it up.

Regina held the heart and box. "Now, let's go save Henry."

THE JOLLY ROGER

An unconscious Felix was placed aboard the deck when Emma, Mary Margaret and Regina arrived onto the ship.

"Henry?" Emma shouted.

"Where is he?" Mary Margaret yelled.

"He's over here!" Neal and Eliza answered.

Emma and Regina knelt down over Henry's bodies.

"Hold on, Henry," Regina said as she pushed the heart back into his chest.

"Henry?" Emma called. Everyone looked on anxiously. Henry remained motionless. "Are we too late?"

"Henry? Honey!"

Henry gasped to life. Relief flooded his loved ones' faces. He sat up to hug both his mothers.

"Woah, woah, woah. Take it easy, buddy," Neal told his son.

"I'm sorry," Henry apologized. "I wanted to save magic."

"It's okay. It's okay," Emma reassured.

"I-I wanted to be a hero."

"Hey, there's plenty of time for that," David told him.

"Right now, it's time to rest," Mary Margaret said.

"Welcome back, young sir," Hook stated. "Only the best for our guest of honor. Don't you think? Captain's quarters."

Regina smiled. "Come on, I'll tuck you in."

STORYBROOKE - PAST - ELEVEN YEARS AGO

In her house, Regina was showing Henry to Archie.

Archie smiled and said, "Regina, I'm just so pleased. I'll admit I was concerned. And I'm just so... glad the way things worked out."

"There's just one problem, Dr. Hopper," Regina admitted. "I'm afraid, no, I'm... dreading... that Henry's birth mother will wake up one day full of regret over leaving him and come here and take him back."

"Wasn't it a closed adoption? You're both perfectly anonymous to each other, right?"

"Yes, but, I'm worried about something bigger than the laws at play. Fate. Destiny."

"It seems to me you've made your own destiny."

She shook her head. "But there's still someone out there who can destroy it."

"Regina, if you keep worrying about the future, you'll never enjoy the present. These children have brought something to you—love—revel in that. Revel in being a mother."

REGINA'S VAULT

Inside, Regina held Henry while affectionately touching the name plate of her deceased father. It read: Henry Mills. Beloved Father.

"Thank you, Father," Regina said as she placed Henry into his carrier. She opened the entrance to the downstairs vault area.

---

Regina was in one of the vault rooms with various potions set on the table. Henry was resting in his carrier.

Regina said to her twins, "Once upon a time, there was a Queen and she cast a glorious that gave her everything she wanted. Or so she thought. She despaired when she learned that revenge was not enough. She was lonely. And so she searched the land for a little boy to be her prince." She laughed. "And then, she found him. And though they lived happily, it was not ever after. There was still an evil out there lurking..." She poured the substance into a cup. "The Queen was worried for her prince's safety. While she knew she could vanquish any threat to the boy, she also knew she couldn't raise him worrying. No, she needed to put her own troubles aside and put her child first." She poured green liquid into cup. "And so, the Queen procured an ancient potion of forgetting." Henry cried. "Oh, it's all right. If the Queen drinks the potion, she won't forget her child. She'll only forget her worries. Her troubles. Her fears." She added a black substance to cup. "And with those gone, she and her prince can indeed finally live happily ever after." She drank from the cup and set it down.

As Regina forgot, the cup and the potion ingredients disappeared. She came out the stupor upon hearing Henry's cries.

"Hello, Henry," Regina said, holding him up. "What shall we do today?"

NEVERLAND - PRESENT - THE JOLLY ROGER

Henry was resting on a bed in Hook's quarters as Regina kept him company.

"Oh, I know that look," Regina said. "That's five hours of Space Paranoids and too much pizza."

"Pizza's good," Henry replied.

Regina laughed, then placed an enchantment on Henry's chest.

Henry winced and said, "It stings. What's that for?" The glow of the spell faded away.

"A spell. So no one can ever take your heart ever again."

Henry grabbed her hand. "Thanks, Mom."

Regina smiled and kissed him on the temple. "We'll be home soon, my little prince." She left the room.

Henry sat up to adjust his blanket and laid back down. When he did so, Pan had appeared beside the bed. Henry noticed too late as Pan took out a blade at him.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this, Henry," Pan said.

JOLLY ROGER'S DECK

Neal released Mr. Gold from the box as David, Emma, Eliza and Mary Margaret watched. He was greeted by a smiling Neal.

"Bae," Mr. Gold said, hugging Neal.

"Papa," Neal greeted.

"Where's Henry?"

"He's safe. He's safe."

"I told you I wasn't gonna hurt the boy."

"I know. I'm sorry. I... Why didn't you tell me Pan was your father?"

"Because I didn't want you to know I was as bad a father as he was, because we're both the same, me and him... because we both abandoned our sons."

"No, you're not the same. You came back for me, Papa." They hugged again.

Emma turned to her parents. "He's back. That means..."

"He can cure me," David finished.

"We can go home," Mary Margaret said before hugging Emma. "A family." David hugged them.

Suddenly, Mr. Gold sensed something terribly wrong.

"What's wrong?" Neal asked.

BELOW DECK

Henry was being apprehended by Pan.

"What? What are you doing?" Henry wondered.

"I wanted your heart, Henry, but your mother took it away from me and left me for dead. Her mistake." Pan attempted to pull out Henry's heart, but he was burned by Regina's enchantment. "Ugh! Oh, how clever."

Pan smirked and tore into his backside to rip out his shadow.

Henry, in pain, cried, "What are you doing?!"

Pan succeeded in pulling out the shadow partially.

Mr. Gold entered and said, "Blood magic works both ways, Father."

Mr. Gold opened Pandora's box, intending to trap his father. Pan still refused to let go of Henry's shadow even as the box began absorbing him away. At the last moment, without Mr. Gold noticing, Pan switched bodies with Henry.

Henry, in Pan's body, yelled, "No!" He was absorbed into the box.

Regina entered and called, "Henry? Henry? Henry." She reached his bedside.

Pan, in Henry's body, said, "It's okay. I'm okay."

"Are you sure?"

"He's a strong boy, Regina," Mr. Gold told her. "You raised him well."

ABOVE DECK

Emma, Regina, Eliza and Neal assembled in preparation to release the Shadow as all the Lost Boys hurried aboard.

Mary Margaret directed the Lost Boys as they passed. "Go."

Neal held the coconut containing the Shadow over a cannon as Emma readied a lighter.

"Ready, Regina?" Emma asked and Regina nodded. Emma lit the cannon fuse. Just before it fired, Neal opened the coconut halves to free the Shadow, who was catapulted into the air by the cannon. Regina quickly used magic to force the Shadow into the ship sail, which turned black.

"You think it'll fly?" Emma wondered.

"It has no choice," Regina told her.

"Then let's get the hell out of Neverland."

"As you wish, m'lady," Hook said. "Bosun, weigh anchor!"

Powered by the Shadow sail, the ship lifted into the clouds and began flying them home.

"You know, when we first landed on this island, you said we would all need to work together," David remembered.

"I was just trying anything," Emma told him.

"To be honest, I didn't think it was possible." Nearby, Mary Margaret was giving out food servings to the Lost Boys. "Hero, villain, pirate... that we could all be united, but we were because of the most important piece of the puzzle—a leader."

"I'm just glad we were all able to work together and get Henry home. Get all of us home."

ANOTHER PART OF THE DECK

Wendy gazed into the distance when Tinker Bell approached.

"Better than being in a cage, isn't it?" Tinker Bell said.

"Are we really free?" Wendy asked.

"Yes, Wendy. Soon you'll see your brothers."

"I have something for you. I saved it all this time. I could never use it, but maybe you can." She handed her a vial. "It's pixie dust. It's the last bit from the last flower in the treetops. It's inert-"

"I can't make it work. I've got no magic. Not since I lost my wings."

"You'll figure it out. I believe in you, Tink."

---

'Henry' stepped onto the deck. Neal noticed him.

"Hey," Neal greeted. "Feelin' okay? Shouldn't you be resting? I could bring you some food if you're feeling up for it. Where's your sister?"

Pan, in Henry's body, replied, "I'm feeling much better now. I think the fresh air is good for me."

"Henry, I know we haven't had much of a chance to be a family; not yet. I want you to know that you have a dad now, now and forever. I'll never leave you, okay, buddy?" 'Henry' nodded and they embraced.

Nearby, Tinker Bell walked up to Regina.

"I'm glad you got your son back, Regina," Tinker Bell said. "Seems the Evil Queen was able to love someone after all."

"Yes, it seems," Regina replied. "Seems you were right."

"I knew you still had some good in you."

"Apparently, you still have some magic in you." They both looked at the vial of pixie dust, which glowed briefly.

"What... what happened?"

"If I had to guess, I'd say for a minute there, you believed." Tinker Bell smiled.

'Henry' picked up a plate of food and made his way over to Felix. He held it out for him, but Felix didn't take it.

"Go away, boy," Felix ordered. "I'm not hungry."

Pan, in Henry's body, said, "But I came to thank you."

"No matter what those other traitors do, I'm on Pan's side. And Pan—"

Pan, in Henry's body, finished, "Never fails."

"What?"

"You heard me. Peter Pan never fails. He can't be stopped even when they think he's defeated. When they think they've won, he finds a way."

"So you think you're not safe?"

"Oh, no, I'm perfectly safe. During our struggle, my fate was sealed. The one who's in trouble are Henry."

"But you're Henry."

"Not anymore." He smirked.

Felix suddenly realized what 'Henry' was saying. "You. You switched."

"You sure you're not hungry?" Pan held out plate, which Felix accepted.

"Thank you, Pan."

"Now, let's play."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.5K 2.6K 49
"Did anyone ever tell you you're really pretty?" Emma asked. Regina seemed utterly confused at Emma's words and didn't quite know how to respond. "Yo...
19K 469 47
Henrietta Wilma "Indiana" (Indy) Jones craves adventure and seeks it out as often as she can. But one adventure takes her far beyond her wildest ima...
8K 202 44
Emmett and Emma had always just had each other. And then a boy knocks on their apartment door. Their world changes for the better, and in more ways...
18.7K 1K 91
***Fourth book in the Dream series*** ***The following book to All Magic Comes With a Price*** The last time we saw our heroes, Emma and Dream might...