MAXINE & STONE (REWRITTEN)

By iunderstandnothing3

BOOK 1 Welcome to the re-written version of 'MAXINE & STONE' If this is your first time reading, welcome. If... More

A/N + CHARACTERS
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Maxine Rose Stone
Chapter 2 - New Home
Chapter 3 - Let's go shopping!
Chapter 4 - Uncle George
Chapter 5 - Rosemary
Chapter 6 - A Mean Lady
Chapter 8 - Dear Alex
Chapter 9 - Selection Process
Chapter 10 - Chocolate Chip Mayhem
Chapter 11 - First Days
Chapter 12 - Don't tell Alex
Chapter 13- Rose
Chapter 14 - Pretty girls
Chapter 15 - Cookie
Chapter 16 - Scars
Chapter 17 - Happy to help!
Chapter 18 - Grandma and Grandpa
Chapter 19 - The Tooth Fairy
Chapter 20- Happy Birthday Alex
Chapter 21 - Billionaire's Baby
Chapter 22 - Daddy's Little Girl
Chapter 23 - Elizabeth Marie Walters
Chapter 24 - Double Justice
Chapter 25 - Sleepovers
Chapter 26 - Giving Back
Chapter 27 - The Bestest Christmas Ever
Chapter 28 - Take your daughter to work day...again.

Chapter 7 - Goodbye Mama

7K 185 92
By iunderstandnothing3

It's good to be back!

Third Person.

The drive to Manchester was silent.

Not awkwardly, not uncomfortably, but sadly. A cloud of grief hung over the passengers in the car.

Although Rosemary and George, the people who sparked the best conversation, were in attendance, the ambience was unsuitable for casual chatter.

During the entirety of the drive, Alex glanced at his daughter through the rearview mirror.

Maxine settled her gaze downcast and played with her fingers. She was abnormally silent.

When asked questions, she would either shrug or shake her head. She refused music, even the Frozen soundtrack and denied holding 'Cookie', fearful of the heartbreak it may cause her.

Alex understood her pain, deep in his heart, but he concealed it with a straight face, wanting to be strong for Maxine.

He also didn't know how to feel. He had written a eulogy for his Anna, but it didn't feel real. It felt robotic and nothing like what he felt for Anna, which was love.

Even if he didn't understand why she left, even if he resented her for leaving, he loved her, and she deserved a beautiful send-off.

Alex didn't force Maxine to be happy, not on this day, a day in which she knew she'd be saying goodbye to her Mama.

Alex sighed from his nose and parked his vehicle opposite Anna and Maxine's old home. He frowned with concern at the dilapidated state.

The 'house' was decaying, from the shattered windows that were made to look fixed with cardboard, the crumbling walls and the roof that was one heavy wind away from collapsing.

Anna left him to live here? Did she think he'd be that bad of a parent that she had to leave and live here?

It made him shudder just thinking about his girls living here.

Rosemary and George left the car, and Alex went to unfasten Maxine's booster seat.

"Come on, baby girl," He lifted her up, and she buried her face in the crook of his neck.

They walked to Mrs Gren, who waited by Anna's door with a sad smile and who wore black in mourning just like everybody else.

"Mrs Gren is here, sweetheart. Do you want to say hi?" Alex whispered, tucking a loose curl behind her ear, and she nodded slowly.

Maxine picked up her head, waved shyly and quickly attached herself to Alex again, clinging onto his neck.

Even if Alex didn't want to force Maxine to be her joyful self, he did want to cheer her up though, just a little.

Everybody had sat in Anna's small living room, there was one torn sofa in front of the smallest television.

Alex looked around his surroundings and frowned. He could have given Anna and Maxine much more than this and what they deserved. And Anna knew that. So why didn't she stay with him?

He shrugged off his thoughts of confusion and interrupted George, Rosemary, and Mrs Gren talking, when he asked his daughter, who was on his lap, "Baby, do you want to give us a tour of the house?"

Maxine shot her head at him. Her eyes brightened, and a sudden burst of energy rushed through her. She was going to give her Daddy a tour! Just like he did with her.

She jumped off her father's lap and clapped her hands together to grab everybody's attention, but all eyes were already on the little girl who was grinning.

"Please, follow me!" She ordered and assembled a line behind her.

"This is the kitchen where Mama and me make the cookies!" She pointed to the small oven.

Maxine pouted, "Mama say I can't use the oven," She declared and fiddled with the loose knobs, turning the oven on full blast.

George turned the oven off, and Alex snagged her away before she could endanger herself, "She's right, you can't."

She frowned, "But I'm a big girl,"

He cracked a small smile, "Just stay my little girl for a while longer, please?" He negotiated, although he wanted her to stay his little girl forever.

"Okayyyy," She groaned and leapt out of her father's hold, running towards the one bedroom in the house.

"This is where Mama and I sleep!" She exclaimed and reflected on her tiny self. Her new bedroom at her Daddy's house was much bigger.

Alex walked in and inspected the large bed, but a thin mattress, the curtains that were drawn and the many cupboards, some of which had Anna's clothes inside.

Whilst the rest of the adults headed back to the kitchen, leaving Alex and Maxine, he crouched before her bottom drawers and, pulled out a jumper of Anna's fiddled with it, sadly smiling.

"Oh, Anna," He whispered, swallowing the urge to cry. Alex buried his face in her jumper sleeve, hiding the tears that pricked his eyes. He inhaled her sweet, vanilla aroma that lingered around his angel.

"Daddy," Maxine tugged on his shoulder, and he pulled the jumper away from himself, coughing and wiping his tears away.

He smiled, "Yes, sweetheart,"

"Are ya okay?" She whispered, looking into her father's red eyes.

He cupped her right cheek, "I'm fine, baby girl. Shall we continue with the tour?"

Maxine, oblivious to her father's pain, eagerly nodded, "Yup! I gotta show you the bathroom!" She grabbed his hand and dragged him.

"Oh, you gotta, huh?" He laughed, and as he passed, he saw picture frames of Anna and her beautiful self, with a bundle of joy, their daughter in her arms.

Alex felt like crying. He missed so much.

His sadness disappeared as soon as Maxine yelled to the grown-ups in the kitchen, "Come on! I have to finish my tour!"

Everybody followed suit as Maxine waddled into her tiny bathroom, "This is the bathroom, but-but I can't reach the mirror, so look what I did!" She grabbed the red, plastic stool, "Mama, gimme stool so I can see myself!" She waved in the mirror and always giggled when her reflection waved back.

The adults watched the adorable scene with wide grins and glistening eyes. What a precious girl.

Maxine jumped off the stool, "That's it!" She frowned a little. Why is it she only had three things to show, but in her daddy's house, she could've shown a million rooms?

Alex lifted her up, her tiny legs wrapping around his torso, "You did so great, sweetheart," He kissed her nose, grateful he cheered her up a little.

Maxine grabbed her father's face in her tiny hands, "When do we say goodbye to Mama?"

Alex swallowed. His heart hurt. 'Goodbye'.

He smiled sadly, "We can leave right now."

MAXINE & STONE

It was a small ceremony, small yet meaningful.

Only Anna's close circle was in attendance, and it felt nice to share memories of the angelic woman who touched everyone's hearts.

Anna's picture was displayed beside her casket. Alex stood before the picture with his hands behind his back, and he smiled in the tiniest.

It was of Anna on their school trip to Paris. Her curly hair blew wild in the wind, she pointed to the Eiffel Tower with the largest grin on her face, and her eyes spoke so many words. But what Alex could tell, was that her eyes were enamoured with him. Just as his eyes were with her, maybe more.

He took the picture.

And he remembered the day like it was yesterday.

Nine years ago...

"Alex! Take one of me here!" Anna declared as she pointed towards the Eiffel Tower and posed with that shiny grin of hers.

Alex was snapping photos as if he were an artist. It was easy enough as the art he captured was beautiful.

Alex scrolled through the photos on his digital camera with a wide grin on his face, and Anna ran up to him.

"Oh, those look great!" She tucked a curl behind her ear, "We have to get these printed."

"Definitely," He said. "You look so beautiful, angel."

Anna looked up at Alex and smiled, snatching the camera from him.

"Now it's your turn," She said, waving her hand, gesturing for him to move back and closer to the Eiffel Tower.

"You know I don't like that sort of stuff, angel. We should probably head back to our group." He scratched the back of his hair and tilted his head, searching for his school group.

And that's when he heard a click. He snapped his head to Anna, who fawned over the picture she had just taken.

"You look so handsome!" She squealed, and Alex arched an eyebrow at the photo, "I guess I do," He mumbled shyly.

She cupped his cheek, "You know you do."

Anna flipped the camera and aimed it high, wanting to take 'selfies' with her boyfriend next to the Eiffel Tower. It was a word not invented at the time, but hey, the two young lovers were ahead of their time.

Alex kissed her cheeks as they took pictures, he grabbed her waist and kissed her lips, he smiled with her, laughed with her, and Anna captured each moment.

"Oh, these are super cool!" She grinned and shook the camera in her hands. "You know what would be even cooler?!"

Alex tilted his head to the side, confused about where she was going. With Anna, you had to expect the unexpected.

"Going to the Pont des Arts and writing our initials on padlocks and attaching it to the bridge!"

"Uhhhh...." He scratched his head again, searching for his school group, only to find his friend George being told off by their teacher for climbing the Eiffel Tower like the idiot he was.

"Alex," Anna sighed and loosened his school tie, "You need to let loose, be wild and young and escape with me to do the most romantic thing you can do in Paris!"

He still looked unsure, that was until her wide eyes pleaded at him.

"Okay, okay," He gave in, and she squealed, dragging his hand as they ran off together.

Alex felt scared of the punishment of running away, but as Anna and he ran through the wind and to the romantic bridge, he felt free.

She always had that effect on him, loosening the uptight spirit within him.

The couple made it to the bridge, not before quickly buying a padlock from a local stand.

Anna scrawly drew on their initials, "A+A", and added on the word, "Forever,"

"This is a symbol of our everlasting love," Alex murmured softly, and Anna's enamoured eyes fell on him as he continued to speak, "Young and old couples would leave their mark here, some long lost lovers would reunite here, some lovers would come back here alone, to remember their other half," He smiled softly. Before coming to Paris, he did his research.

Anna kissed his lips, "We'll never have to reunite or come back here alone. Because we'll be together forever, right?" She grinned hopefully.

He tucked a curl behind her ear and pulled her in for a whirlwind kiss, "You're right, my angel. Always and forever."

The young couple attached their padlock to the bridge and threw their key into the River Seine as a part of the romantic tradition.

They walked hand in hand across the bridge, reminiscing of their forever life together.

Present Day.

Alex blinked away the tears that clouded his eyes at the memory.

He half-smiled at the photo of Anna, his hands behind his back, hiding the pain he felt.

A rough hand slammed on his shoulder, "I remember this," George sighed sadly, "Our school trip to Paris,"

"Yeah," Alex murmured.

"You and Anna ran away and got the lot of us panicked,"

"Was worth it," He mumbled.

George laughed and gazed at Anna's photo, "She was beautiful, wasn't she?"

Alex's eyes never left the picture. "Yeah," He airily murmured.

"Are you okay?" George said, now standing before him, blocking his view from Anna's photo. "I know that's a stupid question, but I saw you there in Anna's room..." He trailed off.

Alex coughed and straightened his back, "I don't know what you mean."

George sighed, half-disappointedly, half-sadly. He knew that Alex couldn't be openly emotional, and his parents were to blame.

"Alex, you know you can cry, right? We're at a funeral, and not just any funeral, your ex-girlfriend and the mother of your child's funeral. And I know she was more than two of those things to you,"

Alex glanced over at Maxine, who was on Rosemary's lap as she braided her hair again.

"You don't have to be strong for her," George whispered.

Alex didn't agree. He coughed, "We should take our seats. The ceremony is starting."

George frowned but followed him nonetheless. They sat in the front row of chairs, alongside Maxine, Mary and Mrs Gren and before the casket, Anna's photo and the wooden podium in which the priest took the stand.

He started with a few prayers and a well-spoken eulogy of life and death. A few others who were relatively close to Anna spoke beautiful words, and Alex agreed with every single word, such as 'heavenly,' 'a great mother and woman', 'one of a kind', and they just kept going, but the confusion lingered in his mind. Why. Did. She. Leave. Why? He just didn't understand it.

The priest spoke, "I understand a few more people have prepared some eulogies. Mr Mccoy, would you like to come up?"

George stood up, buttoning his blazer and patting Alex's shoulder as he made his way to the stand.

He coughed and opened the small book in his hands, "What can I say about Anna that hasn't been said already? She was beautiful, friendly and had the most amazing smile. That smile could change your whole day,"

As George reminisced about Anna, Alex felt a light smile grace his lips. He then felt his tie yanked and looked down at the little culprit.

"Yes, sweetheart?" He affectionately tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Can Mama hear what the people are saying?" Maxine asked, her wide, innocent eyes fluttering at her father.

He half-smiled, "Yes, baby girl. She can hear us say everything,"

Maxine chewed on her little pinkie finger worriedly, "Can she hear me say no-no words? Because-because Mama doesn't like me saying no-no words,"

Alex lightly laughed and took her finger out of her mouth, "Well, Daddy doesn't like you saying no-no words too,"

She pouted and climbed on Alex's lap, fiddling with his collar.

"Are you gonna say some words about Mama?"

"Yeah," He whispered, "I've got some words written down." Words that were in no comparison to the strong feelings he had for Anna.

"Can I say some words?" Maxine asked.

Alex raised an eyebrow, "Yes, yes, of course, sweetheart. I'm very proud that you've decided to do that." He kissed her forehead, "Do you know what you want to say?"

Maxine bopped her head, "I love my Mama,"

Alex grinned, "That's beautiful," Far more beautiful and feeling than what he himself had written.

The pair leaned back and listened to George as he finished his speech.

"Goodbyes are tough, but this one really hurts. Goodbye, Anna. You were everything, you helped everyone around you, but I want to really thank you for helping my friend Alex. You made him smile, and it was worth everything seeing that. So thanks, and rest in peace, you world of a woman," He finished softly and took his seat.

Alex's eyes landed on George. They were stunned. I-how-why would he say that?

He glanced over at him, "Did that really need to be said?" He hissed at his friend, who took a seat beside him.

"Yes. It's amazing seeing you smile now with this adorable little monkey," He tickled Maxine's stomach, and she giggled, "But I want you to really remember what Anna did for you. It doesn't matter why she left, it matters about the memories she left you with." He patted his shoulder.

Alex stiffened. 'It matters about the memories she left you with.' That stayed with him.

Maxine grabbed her father's face, "Can it be my turn now, pleaseeeeee?"

"Yes, come on," He lifted her to his waist and walked to the stand, nodding at the priest, who smiled at little Maxine.

Maxine grabbed the speaker, pulling it closer to her face until she shoved it in her mouth.

Alex laughed, and so did the attendees. He tried pulling it away, "Sweetheart, no, you're supposed to speak into the little microphone, not eat it," He pulled it out of her mouth.

"But it's fun!" She protested.

He grinned, "I'm sure it is. But wouldn't you like to say a few words about your Mama?"

Maxine coughed and held the speaker correctly, "I love my Mama. She's my bestest friend, just like my Daddy!" She pointed to Alex, who was holding her, and he and the whole audience gushed over her.

"Mama make cookies with me, and she plays hide and go seek with me, and she kiss me every morning and night!" She exclaimed. Maxine paused for a moment, remembering all the fond memories of her mother.

Her bottom lip wiggled, "And I miss her very much," Her voice cracked, and she cried into her father's neck.

"Oh, sweetheart," Alex turned her away from the rows of people and rocked her, muttering reassurances in her ear.

George stood up and approached the pair, "Let me have her. You say what you need to say,"

Alex tightened his hold around Maxine, "No. We should finish the ceremony now. It's too much for her," He said, soothing Maxine's wails.

"No. She needs this closure, and so do you," George demanded.

Alex raised an eyebrow, "Since when did you become the voice of reason?"

George coughed and straightened his back, "Funerals have that effect on me."

"Hm," Alex grunted and shook Maxine, "Baby, do you want to go to your Uncle George?"

Maxine sniffled, "Georgey?" She snapped her teary eyes at him.

George's eyes softened, "Oh, come here, monkey," He cooed, and Alex transferred her over.

"It hurts, Georgey," Maxine cried into his neck, and he rocked her slowly, "I know, I know,"

"You've got this," George patted Alex's shoulder before taking his seat with Maxine.

Alex coughed and took the stand. He retrieved the folded paper from his blazer pocket and cleared his throat again, "I knew Anna when I was sixteen. We were both really young and complete opposites, where I liked the quiet, Anna liked the noise. It's true what they say about opposites attracting. Moving on, Anna was a beautiful spirit and will be greatly missed,"

Alex frowned as he scanned the rest of his eulogy. Was that it? Was that all he could come up with for his first love? No. He couldn't accept that.

He tore up the paper in his hands and looked at the rows of mourning people, "Many of you are here today to mourn a great woman, a woman who made me feel differently about the world, maybe it wasn't so bad. Anna had that effect on people, her sunshine smile could make you believe in anything,"

He saw people nod at him in agreement. She truly was a world of a woman.

"She was my other half, I loved her, most ardently. Every touch, every kiss, every word she spoke was warm and comforting, she made me feel safe against my greatest horrors." His father.

"And when she left, I was hopeless and full of hate. That was until I met our daughter," He smiled at his little girl, who circled her tiny arms around her Uncle's neck.

"Maxine," He called for her, and she shot her gaze at her father, staring at him curiously.

"You remind me so much of your mother, sweetheart," He smiled sadly and felt a tear run down his cheek, "Your eyes, your smile, your hair, the way you talk and the way you laugh, it's just like your mother. God," Alex sighed and clutched his heart, "Every time I look at you, you fill me with so much hope and love, just like your mother did. I love you so much, baby girl. And your Mama does, too. I'm sure she's missing her baby girl more than ever,"

Maxine's eyes softened, and a little smile crept on her lips. She needed to hear that.

"Although I don't know why Anna left me, I'm not going to hold it against her. I could never. Because a wise man once told me that 'it doesn't matter why she left, it matters about the memories she left you with." Alex sent an appreciative smile to George, who grinned back at him.

"And she left me with memories I will treasure until my last breath. My love for Anna is beyond, and so is my gratitude. Thank you for supporting me through my worst, thank you for making me smile, thank you for helping me cry, thank you for all the hugs and kisses and thank you for raising our baby girl. You did wonders with her, Anna, and I promise to do right by you and raise her to become a beautiful, healthy, happy and strong woman, just like you." He said and gazed at her casket sadly.

"Goodbye, angel," He whispered softly.

MAXINE & STONE

Alex stood before Anna's grave that read,

"Anna Miller,

a daughter, a sister, and a mother to the most beautiful little girl. May she rest in eternal peace.'

Rosemary linked her arm with his, "Your eulogy was beautiful, Alex,"

He raised an eyebrow at her, "Yeah?"

"Yes. It was very well-spoken. I know you meant every word."

"I did," He nodded.

"Heyyy, someone's getting bored of their Uncle and wants their Daddy, now," George sang, and Alex and Rosemary turned around to see Maxine leaping out of his hold, stretching her arms out to her father.

Alex took her without any hesitation, "Oh, come here, baby girl," He cooed and ran a hand through her braids, "How you feeling, huh?"

Maxine pinched her fingers together, "A little better. Daddy's words made me smile," She flashed him a toothy grin.

"Awhh, they did, huh? That's nice to hear. And I meant every word, sweetheart. I promise to raise you just like your mother intended."

"Okay, Daddy," She mumbled and circled her arms around his neck, facing the other way, and her gaze landed upon a scary, familiar man, drunkenly climbing up the hill.

Maxine whimpered. Bad man.

Alex's heart shattered upon hearing her soft whimper. "What's wrong, baby girl?" He held her face, his eyes scanning over her face worryingly.

Rosemary and George joined Alex in looking over Maxine's fearful expression.

"Oh my," Mrs Gren said, her hand clutching her heart, "It's John, Anna's father."

"Bad man!" Maxine yelled at the greying man, who scowled at her.

Alex's eyes narrowed at the man. He knew exactly who he was. A deadbeat. Anna had to step up and become the breadwinner of her family because her father was too drunk to.

"Did he ever hurt you, Maxine?" Alex's voice dropped. He demanded an answer.

Maxine shook her head, "He make Mama cry and take money. Mama said I have to hide in the cupboard when he come."

There was a visible fire in Alex's eyes. That fucker was going to pay.

The staggering man made his way through the crowd who were staring at the local drunk with disgust as he limped and stenched of the pub.

Mrs Gren scoffed, "Jesus, John, you're late and drunk to your own daughter's funeral. Have some respect!"

"I would have been earlier if I was actually invited to, you know... my own daughter's funeral," He sneered, a noticeable slur in his voice.

Maxine buried her face deeper in Alex's neck, whilst he took deep breaths, suppressing the rage inside him.

Anna had to leave because of this piss poor excuse of a father.

John's eyes met Alex's enraged ones, his gaze then drifted to Maxine's fearful expression at him, and he smirked.

"So you're the father of that bastard child then, eh?"

Alex's fury spiked. No more control, no limits. This fucker was in for it.

"The fuck you just say?" He gritted, taking a daunting step towards John, intimidating him with his dark glower.

Maxine gasped. She had never heard her father speak like that. In all honesty, it frightened her.

Knowingly, Rosemary gently took Maxine away into her embrace, swaying her back and forth.

George stood behind Alex, just in case things went too far.

"What did you say about my daughter, huh?" His head tilted to the side. "You think you're a big fucking man showing up drunk to the funeral of the daughter whose life you ruined," He sneered, his eyes darkening.

John took a step back, but Alex took one closer, each step carrying a dominance that shook the man beneath him.

"I-" John's throat tightened as his eyes bulged at Alex.

Alex, as vengeful as ever, threatened, "Go on, repeat it. I fucking dare you."

John didn't know where his next words came from, perhaps it was the alcohol that gave him the confidence boost to say, "I said she's a ba-"

Yet, he couldn't finish. Not when Alex's gargantuan fist sent him flying backwards, wounding him to the ground.

An array of gasps followed, yet Alex was far from done. He lunged at him again, and again until John's face became unrecognisable.

Alex cracked his bloody knuckles and fixed his black tie, towering above John whilst maintaining a scarily calm composure.

"If I ever see you near my daughter again. I'll make sure the next funeral everyone is attending is yours," He threatened darkly.

And just like that, John scurried off.

Alex gazed at the people gawking at him fearfully. Even George widened his eyes at him.

A pair of tear-filled, doe eyes caught his attention the most, however. Rosemary was too in shock to hide Maxine from her father's violence.

She stared at him frighteningly, like he was the bad man. The look crushed Alex.

"Maxine," He said, his voice wavering as his daughter stiffened and tightened her hold in Rosemary's embrace.

Alex swallowed his pain and continued as if what happened, didn't just happen, "Come on, sweetheart. We should go," His arms widened.

"No," She squeaked and buried her face in Mary's shoulder.

Alex's heart shattered into two. He fucked up.

MAXINE & STONE

On a large bench, sat a little girl in front of her mother's grave.

After washing the blood of another man off his hands, Alex sat beside his daughter.

She looked up at him and inched away. His eyes filled with pain, and he sighed regretfully.

"I am so sorry, you had to see that side of me, sweetheart. I acted out of anger, violently, and I shouldn't have done that. Especially at your mother's funeral," He shook his head at himself.

"You said violence was wrong," Maxine whispered, her doe eyes peering up at her father.

"I did, you're right. It was wrong of me to hit that man, no matter how much he angered me," He said. Although, it did feel good.

"And for that, I am so sorry. I never want you to be scared of me, baby girl," He gently held her chin, "You're the last person who should be scared of me," He brushed his lips against her forehead.

"Okay," She sighed, "M' not scared of Daddy," She climbed on his lap.

"Can you forgive me, sweetheart?"

"Yup," She popped her lips together, and Alex kissed her nose, feeling a rush of relief.

"Thank you," He sighed happily, and Maxine rested her back against his chest as they stared at Anna's grave.

"John a bad man. He not nice to Mama," Maxine whispered out of the blue.

Alex's jaw clenched, "You'll never have to see him again, sweetheart. I promise,"

Maxine sighed with relief and fiddled with the angel necklace that her father gave her in which her mother gave him after she left for the first time.

"He make Mama and me cry,"

"You didn't deserve that, baby. Neither of you did. I should've...I should've been there," Alex's voice cracked. He could've protected them.

Maxine looked up at her father, furrowing her little eyebrows, "Why weren't you?"

Alex exhaled and ran a hand through his hair, "I didn't know about you, until now. I missed a lot, I know," He missed four integral years.

But that was beside the point. "But I'm very grateful, I have you now. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I'm not letting you go," He attacked her chubby cheeks with kisses.

Maxine giggled, "M' very grapeful too,"

He chuckled at her mispronunciation, "God, I love you,"

"I love you too, Daddy," She snuggled into his chest.

"Excuse me, Alexander Stone?" A hoarse voice asked.

Alex and Maxine snapped their heads to a tall man with Victorian-style glasses resting on his slender nose. The man's head was bare, but his beard was long, white and greying.

To Alex, he appeared like a Victorian ghost. The same couldn't be said for his daughter.

"Santa?!" Maxine gasped. She couldn't believe she was meeting him so early!

Alex bit back a laugh, and the older man cleared his throat.

"I'm Richard Hammond, the executor of Anna Miller's will. If you'd like to follow me, please,"

Alex nodded. He shook the man's hand, and lifted Maxine to his waist as they headed towards the church that was opposite the graveyard.

Participants of Anna's will were just Alex and Maxine. They sat in the front wooden benches of the church whilst Mr Hammond stood before them, files in his hands.

"Miss Anna Miller has instructed me, Richard Hammond, to leave all her possessions to her daughter, Maxine Rose Stone."

"That's my name!" Maxine giggled, and Alex kissed her forehead, nodding at the older man to continue.

"She has also instructed me to give Miss Maxine Stone a letter in which she is to open on her eighteenth birthday," Richard cleared his throat, "And she has instructed me to give you, Mr Alexander Stone, a letter to be opened when you are ready," He handed Alex a sealed envelope.

Alex stared at the letter wearily. Was this the answer to all his confusions? Or something else? Something worse? He wasn't sure if he was ready just yet.

He tucked the envelope in his blazer pocket, keeping it hidden, for now.

"The Final item is Miss Miller's last wish, which is for her ashes to be spread in a river not far from here. It is where her mother and sister's ashes were spread." Mr Hammond informed.

MAXINE & STONE

A deep orange mixed with hues of a soft yellow and red painted across the sunset sky, reflecting the deep blue river before the father-daughter pair.

In Alex's left hand held the urn of Anna's ashes, and in his right was his daughter's hand.

"You ready, baby?" Alex asked, and she squeezed his hand tighter before nodding.

Maxine spread her mother's ashes eloquently across the river.

Her doe eyes glistened as she watched the last specks of her mother drown in the peaceful river.

She smiled sadly and sighed,

"Goodbye, Mama."

<33

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 44 25
Brianna kissed a stranger in front of his date and experienced her first kiss with him. They met again in a gala, she was with another man but they b...
70K 2.5K 46
❦ The Billionaire and His Flower❦ Book 1 Of The Ecstasy Series ❝Death is our forever because I want you to be mine, till eternity❞ . . . ''She was Hi...
180K 3.8K 14
Book 2 in THEIR series ADRIANNA DE LUCA Only girl born after 15 generation In DeLuca house hold but was taken at mere age of 3 months by her mother...
1.4K 102 4
"Lost Friends To Lovers" Dad told me real love happens once and when it does, never hide your feelings. Too bad, he told me late. I held them and los...