poeta nascitur, non fit ~ ste...

By verifiedgoddess

in which the reader transfers to Welton Academy and falls for everyone's favorite redhead... best ratings: #1... More

REWRITTEN: the transfer~
the accident~
anxious mornings~
the first day~
meeks vs. cameron, part 1~
the lessons of mr.keating~
carpe diem!~
femme fatale~
redheads~
knoxious in love~
noble pursuits do not guarantee happiness~
the spark~
and so it begins~
i hereby reconvene the dead poets society~
blissful exhaustion~
radio free america~
a/n(sorry, loves)
neil, master of all chaos~
emily dickinson plays soccer~
long live (y/n), Queen of hell-ton~
aesthetics & more~
splintered stanzas: the Ivan Incident ~
rosewater~
splintered stanzas: study sessions
the phone call~
splintered stanzas: my confidante~
who we are~
the party~
splintered stanzas: breakfast & bittersweet tea
girls and other unsolvable mysteries~
splintered stanzas: love, lizzy bennet~
a worthy adversary~
a short a/n <3
splintered stanzas: fond recollections~
dewdrops & daisies
splintered stanzas: perry vs. (y/n)
proper theatrics~
the events of henley hall~
!! ATTENTION !!
the morning after~
darkest before dawn~
EPILOGUE~ i.
EPILOGUE ~ ii.
EPILOGUE ~ iii.
THANK YOU!!!

splintered stanzas: the legacy

1.4K 45 52
By verifiedgoddess

a/n: dedicated with love and gratitude to @Anea5382 for their comments - and the suggestion for this edition of 'splintered stanzas'! Without further ado, I present: 

The Legacy.

In all its years, Welton Academy had never before accepted a female pupil to study within its grand halls.  However, for the first time in its rich history, it was (y/n) (l/n) who walked her way through the halls, embedding progressive energy into the every planks that made up the floors.

While her circumstances for studying at the preparatory school were not as "Jane Austen heroine" as she might have hoped, transferring to Welton and leaving her life in London was, quite possibly, the best choice she had ever made. 

It should, however be noted that young (y/n) was not exactly the perfect,  poised young woman that the old, withered headmaster had hoped. In fact, he wanted her gone the moment she had taken her seat during the opening ceremony a month prior, and had only allowed to study because he was desperate for Mr. John Keating to continue teaching at his school. 

What no one would have guessed, was that Mr. Nolan, despite his ignorance regarding higher education for young women, would decide to properly mark the moment in history. It appeared that the Board of Education was looking to integrate the oppressed and wholly unappreciated gender into schools, and this would gain Welton the attention it so needed to flourish. 

Parent donations could only be stretched so far. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

It was not long after the maiden voyage of Todd's new desk set that (y/n) handed the sweets to her two best friends and swept off humming into her dorm room to get ready for the party with Knox. 

"It's not like I'm excited to go," she spoke gently to the potted plant on her desk as she picked an outfit "I'm just sick of not being around other girls! I mean, being a sixteen year old girl is all about that girly stuff, right?" 

Giggling, she shook her head. 

"No, I'm being stupid. It'll be fun." The houseplant stood in vigil, silently observed her youthful excitement. Spending so many months around teenage boys did some not-very-lovely things to her brain, and left her feeling homesick for her mother. Unfortunately, flying to London was out of the question - until Christmas break at least - so (y/n) would settle for finding herself some new companions within the State she now called home. 

Eventually, after meditating and consulting her darling plant, which was one of her last gifts from her mother, (y/n) had chosen her outfit to the evening soiree. 

Fitting to the general scholarly, Welton aesthetic, she had chosen herself a black knee-length slip dress paired with an earthy, brown jacket, her typical Mary Jane's, and a black beret. Looking at herself in the mirror while she swiped on mascara and lip tint, hair already pinned up, she felt like the perfect girl in a film. 

However, instead of  a perfect escort, she was interrupted by a startled-looking Pitts and Charlie, who barreled down her door. 

"Hey!" she jumped "what if I'd been in drawers?" (y/n) stood with her hands upon her hips, a half-serious, half-playful teasing expression laid bare on her face. 

"Are you wearing makeup?" Pitts asked, dumbfounded, the same time that Charlie said slyly, 

"Would've been a party, sorry I missed it. Actually, there's a party going on downstairs. Let's go." He used a voice most unlike him, even when he was partaking in their banter.

"What?" she asked, already halfway out the door. Pitts spun around and used his height to catch up with her. 

"I think Hager's going to have a stroke." he sighed, shaking his head as they flew down the heavy wooden stairs, past the step (y/n) had kissed Meeks only days before, and into the foyer.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Almost immediately after they crossed the threshold into the awards hall, the steady stream of students that had stopped to stare at the change, the entire room reverberated into a uproar of voices. 

Amongst other genius comments, these were her favorite:

"No way!"

"Oh, come on, rowing champions aren't up there, but she is?"

"All she had to do was be a girl, we should give it a try, huh?"

(y/n) weaved her way, using her elbows to jab people when they halted their steps, all the way to the display case. 

It had been freshly cleaned, so much it sparkled and reflected the overhead lights and staring faces back towards the onlooker. (y/n) remembered the first day of English studies, when Keating had made the pupils stand before the photographs of alumni and listen to 'them' whisper "carpe diem". 

"Gentlemen!" the booming voice that could barely be held in Mr. Nolan's old, frail body boomed out from the front of the case. The sound of 50 students turning their heads to pay attention rustled through the room, in a place of dead silence now, minus the headmaster demanding their attention. 

"Today marks a day in the history of our great school, taking a step forward. Before you, we have officially placed our very first female student in our prestige honors case to honor the historical role she has played." he raised his hands at some of the ruder boys, who tried fighting the notion. "Parents have been notified, but the photograph will not be removed under any circumstances. Now, continue on with your evening studies, gentlemen."

Not many gentlemen left, however. Instead, the Dead Poets Society had to fight their way through to stand at their friend's side. They watched as she stood, staring with a pale face into her very own photograph. 

They had chosen one of the only ones they had on record, from the very first day of school. It was customary for each student to have their photos taken to be put into their files, and for parents at home to place on the mantel as if to show off their offspring. 

In hers, the background was the rough, gray shade, which made her skin seem paler than it was, instead of glowy. On that day, she'd been so exhausted by the day's events there were circles under her eyes and her smile seemed forced - which it was. 

And still, she bore her Welton emblazoned uniform with pride, and her face relayed her pure joy at being transferred. She was history; and all that she could think was:

"God, I look horrible in this." she groaned, turning to bury her face in Meeks' shoulder. In response, he sighed and put his arm around her, offering comfort.

"No, you look like a ghost." Neil chatted offhandedly, winking at her. Todd gently smacked his arm. 

"You're in the case," Charlie sniffed, irritated "goody two-shoes." (y/n) snorted. 

"Hah, yeah right. And you're the Pope." she retorted, words that bit. 

"(y/n)." Keating materialized behind the group and put his hand on her shoulder and the other on Meeks'. "You should be proud, my dear. One day, there is going to be little girls attending this school that see you and call you their idol. Be happy!" he flashed her his characteristic smile and was gone just as soon as he'd arrived, a swirl of tweed coat and then simply air. 

"I guess." she was biting her lip, eyes blank and lost in thought. 

"C'mon, golden girl." Knox chuckled "we've got a party to go to." Meeks tied his navy blue wool scarf around her neck.

"Stay warm," he whispered, kissing her on the forehead. "And keep Knox from being a tool." (y/n) threw her head back and laughed.

"Well, that's a feat, but I'll try." With a wink to Meeks and a quick goodbye to her other friends, Cameron nodding solemnly in respect, she turned on a slick heel and started off down the hallway. 

It wasn't until much later that she realized how monumental having that photograph in the honors hall display case would turn out meaning to her, to her legacy. Because with that little 8 by 10 picture, the entire future of Welton Academy had shifted to something more, something to contribute further to society.

She had made it. And even though Keating was technically responsible for her attending, it was all (y/n) that made everything else happen. And in that moment, she felt like she was enough. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

a/n: KACHOW two chapters in one week what do y'all think?!?! absolutely loved this chapter and i really hope you did too!! Oh and another thing - 

I know people hate when the (Y/n) in stories wears "ugly" outfits, so please find me on Pintrest @chloe_is_lame  and send me some outfit ideas! My goal is to really and truly make my readers feel part of the story. 

lots of love<33

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 253 17
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 ╰┈➤ ❝ i don't wanna look at anything else now that i say you. i don't wanna think of any else now that...
570 35 10
Louise Perry has attended Welton Academy since the last term last year. She was supposed to be the proof that women could attend this all-boys school...
174K 7.1K 23
❛ 𝒔𝒆𝒊𝒛𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕. ❜ 𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 you attend welton preparatory school and befriend a group of boys when a certain brunet catches yo...
28.2K 678 22
Dead Poets × fem reader UNDER REVISEMENT❤️ "They were ready to give him the job until he mentioned his one caveat. Accommodations must be made so tha...