Manon's Ascension

By Talia_Rhea

Paladins Series Finale: In the great kingdom of Gascony, in the cliffside city of Ambraude, there is a queen... More

Awkward Beginnings
Divine Corruption
The Humble and Honorable
Building Bonds
Experience Interrupted
Queen of Mercy
Anywhere, Anytime
Fire and Blame
Breaking From Within
Lingering Feelings
Old Allies
Within the Palace
Where It All Began
Love and Obsession
Peace at Last

Epilogue

172 19 62
By Talia_Rhea

Epilogue

Colette laughed and squealed as she ran down the hall of her ancestral family home, socks sliding against the marble floor. Behind her, giggling like mad, the pounding of little bare feet smacked against the same floor and closed in on her.

She took a sharp turn, using the wall to keep her balance then cried out as, immediately, her son, waiting just around the corner, latched onto her leg. It brought her up short, allowing her daughter to catch up and grab her other leg.

"Oh, no!" She cried out in exaggerated despair, taking big, swinging steps forward as her kids yelled and laughed with delight at the ride. "I've been caught!"

"Give up, mom!" Her son, Leandre, yelled, beaming up at her, front tooth missing. His dark hair and dark eyes were a perfect copy of his father, and only become more similar with each passing day. There were times when the little ten year old even had the same serious scowl as Nicolas stretched across his cute face.

But that time wasn't now. Not when Colette was playing with them like this.

"Gib up, ma!" Her daughter, Vivie, named after her grandmother, agreed brightly. She was only three, and she tended to copy whatever her brother was doing. She had her father's dark eyes as well, but Colette's bright hair.

"Never surrender!" Colette shouted stomping down the hall to their playroom where she could toss them onto their play mats.

She didn't get that far, however, before an amused voice spoke from behind them.

"What massacre is this?"

"Daddy!" Two high pitched squeals of delight came from below as her children dropped off and raced for their dad.

Nicolas kneeled and scooped them both in his arms. They clung to his neck, one on each hip, Vivie already chatting excitedly. Only about half of her words were fully intelligible, but she spoke with enthusiasm and excitement.

"Welcome home," Colette said, stepping in close.

Nicolas moved their kids, allowing her to give him a sweet kiss in greeting. Leandre made a sound of disgust that Vivie immediately copied even as she laughed and bounced against her father's hip.

"Thank goodness you've come. They were just about to overwhelm me."

"We got, ma!" Vivie yelled in agreement.

"I saw," Nicolas chuckled as he nuzzled her cheek with his nose, making her laugh.

The sight made Colette's womb clench with longing. Nicolas loved his son and was proud of him, but his daughter had him wrapped around her tiny, littlest finger. It made her want another, despite how they had agreed to wait until Vivie was at least four or five before having another - if that's what they wanted at the time.

Some of that must have shown on her expression because an amorous look came over Nicolas' face before he put the kids back on the ground.

"Gran has jam cookies down in her room I hear she's looking for help eating," he told them like it was a secret.

Like the words were a magic spell that made children disappear, the two were gone in an instant, running down the hall, yelling for their grandmother at the top of their lungs. First Leandre, then Vivie, his cute little echo.

Colette laughed as Nicolas took her into his arms.

"Have a nice day?" She asked sweetly.

"Not too bad. I finished the preparations for our trip."

"Yay!" She bounced eagerly on the balls of her feet. "I can't wait to see everyone. It's been so long. So, you're enjoying your new role, my lord mayor?"

He inclined his head. "Not as boring as I anticipated after being a high knight. But I couldn't fight the rest of my life."

"I don't see why not," she pouted.

Nicolas had retired his sword to take up the mantle of leadership in South Gate. After Vivienne had given up the title, Nicolas was the one who stepped up to take it over. He had King Erec's blessing to do so and, after living here for years, the people were happy to accept him. Much more than they would have been if Colette had tried to do it.

But being lady mayor was never a title she wanted. Colette had only ever wanted to be a paladin and it didn't matter how long it had been, she wasn't going to retire that title. She was one of only two of their generation that chose to keep her title.

Sometimes, it meant that she was called into duty. However, it was rare. Since peace had come back over the kingdoms, there was no real need for the battle hungry paladin.

So, really, she spent most of her time at home. She used her power as a paladin, one aspect of which was seeing lies upon others as they spoke them, to help settle legal cases of those that came to South Gate seeking truth and justice.

However, that only occurred once or twice a week. Most of the time, she spent with her kids. She found as much fun play fighting with them as she did real fighting on the battlefield. She was pretty sure Leandre was going to follow in her footsteps as a warrior. His little wooden sword was pretty dangerous in his tiny hands. She didn't think Vivie would be as interested in combat, but she taught her all the same as wouldn't let her daughter not know how to fight or defend herself and others.

Where Nicolas found his satisfaction leading and guiding South Gate - one of the three major trade hubs between Vasconia and Gascony - she found hers in raising her children in between being a paladin.

Her life was everything she had ever wanted.

Nicolas couldn't say the same, but only because he had never dreamed he could be so happy. He never would have expected to find himself as mayor of South Gate, married to a woman that was so opposite to his, sometimes, dour personality, as well as a father of two children that were the brightest parts of his life, but he couldn't imagine a more perfect life now.

"How about you?" He asked, walking her backwards towards their room. "Did you do anything exciting with your day? Besides being conquered by a kid and a toddler?"

"You didn't see the glorious battle beforehand. I fought very hard. Besides, I was outnumbered. It was hardly fair."

Nicolas chuckled as he led them into their room. She shut the door behind them, blinking sweetly before leaping. Nicolas caught her easily as she locked her legs around his waist, peppering his face with kisses.

"Let's have another," she said, her hands in his hair.

"We agreed to wait."

"That was three years ago!"

He laughed as he dropped her onto their bed. Since she didn't let go of him, he had no choice but to fall with her. It wasn't exactly a hardship.

Lifting himself up, he smiled down at his crazy, energetic wife. Ten years together, and he loved her more now than he had at the beginning. His life was more interesting for having her in it. Even if he ended the day exhausted, it was worth it because she had filled every minute possible with love and laughter and life.

"What are you thinking?" She asked, giving him a suspicious look, her grin never fading.

"Only that if this is your attempt at seducing me into giving you another child before our agreement, then you aren't getting another one anytime soon."

She shoved his shoulder, sending him rolling onto his back, allowing her to sit astride him. The kids would be with their grandmother for at least the next hour. Though it had never been explicitly stated, there was an understanding that when they sent them to her for jam cookies, she was to keep them distracted.

It had been their grandmother who first started doing it when she had been trying to keep Leandre away so they had a chance to make Vivie. They were sure she wouldn't mind using the same system again in an attempt to make her another grandchild.

~~~~~~

Nina watched, one arm over her chest, the other resting on her chin, as she stood in the doorway of the training hall in Vasconia's palace. She was on the tall balcony that looked over the room, keeping to herself as she watched the pair training down below.

Aveline, precious and beautiful, was going through her drills as her father tutored her carefully. She wasn't even ten yet, but Nina was of the opinion that it was never too early to start training. And Erec, perfect student that he had been, made a superb teacher.

Nina had offered to find the finest instructors in the kingdom to teach their daughter combat, but Erec had insisted that he do it himself. Mostly because he had been at the receiving end of Nina overseeing his instruction and he didn't want Aveline to spend all her time training and none getting actual combat experience.

Their daughter, who looked exactly like Nina and had the serious continence of her grandmother, had a fierce and concentrated look on her little face as she adjusted her grip on her small staff. She had Nina's build, thin and willowy, so instead of trying to teach her the sword or any other heavy weaponry, they were giving her something that would increase her range and power.

And she took to it like she had been born with it in her hand.

Aveline was a serious and studious child. She heard something was her duty and considered that to be gospel. There was no doubt in Nina or Erec's mind that their daughter would be only too happy to take on the role of queen herself one day.

Which was fortunate, as Nina's experiencing birthing her had not be easy. The royal physician had told them that Nina would likely never again have another. But that almost seemed to relieve Erec somewhat as she had been very close to death the day Aveline was born.

He had told her later that he would rather never have another child than lose her. He said that Aveline was more than enough and he had all he needed in the two of them. Nina felt bad that she couldn't provide her daughter with a sibling or her husband with another child, but that guilt had been quickly buried when Erec had proved to her again and again how happy he was with them both.

"Excellent, Avie," Erec nodded, pleased when the young girl demonstrated the strike – a simple thrust and parry – that he had walked her through "Do five sets of those, then do your cool down stretches, and then you can be finished for the day."

"I still have to do my math tables," she corrected seriously.

Erec nodded once. "Very well. Those first, then finished for the day."

"And I wanted to get a head start for my history lesson tomorrow."

"You are nine, child!" He said loudly, laughing. "Act like it for once."

Aveline gave him a narrow eyed look that made Nina smother a laugh.

The soft sound she made wasn't loud, but it was just enough to draw Erec's eyes up to her. He gave her a smile before stepping back and letting Aveline go through the last of her practice.

When she was finished, Aveline cleaned and put away her staff before very formally thanking her father, giving her mother an almost polite and distant bow of her head, then leaving to go do her studies.

Erec watcher her go, face aglow with pride and affection.

"I think she's a combination of you and my mother," he said lovingly.

"We should be grateful that she has none of Manon in her," she said, turning from the room, but not before witnessing his grimacing laugh at the very idea.

Though the balcony overlooked the training room, it could only be reached by going up to the story above it. So, Erec had to meet her at the end of the hall after having climbed the short staircase to reach her.

Immediately, he held out his arm for her to take. Which she did, allowing him to lead her through the halls to his office.

It had only taken a couple years of Nina trying and failing to be a good queen before they realized that she was never going to be a head of state for their people. What she was, and had always been, was a military leader, not a civilian one.

But that was okay, because Erec was a superb king. He still got her input and sought her counsel daily, but for the most part, when it came to laws and matters of state and the tedium of what it took to rule a kingdom daily, he was the major deciding factor.

Which left Nina free to do what she was good at: running the military.

A military that, admittedly, was much smaller now than it had been in wartime. But Nina was okay with that. It was a relief that her biggest concern was dealing with the aggression of young idiots full of more bad decisions than good sense. She helped command the city guard over Gwenael and protected their borders.

Not that they needed much protection these days. Things were good. They were peaceful. It was easy to forget now, after so long, exactly how hard, how lean, things had been in the war. There were too many good memories between now and then to let that time be clear anymore.

"I finished the last of the preparations for our trip today," Erec said as they approached his office. He would be working there. She had her own duties to see to. But they often made time for each other in little moments like this.

"Wonderful," Nina smiled. "I can't wait to see everyone again."

He nodded, grinning. "Ten years. It's been a long time. And we haven't all gathered like this since the end of the war. It will be good for the entire family to get back together."

"And Aveline will be excited to see Louie again."

Erec made a face that made Nina laugh. She never ceased to find it amusing that his daughter did, in fact, take after him in one key aspect.

Just as Erec fell in love on first sight at a young age, so had Aveline. She had taken one look at Emilien and Lea's son when they first met two years ago and declared to her father in no uncertain terms that the young boy would be her husband because she loved him. Hearing her tiny voice say those words in that serious way of hers had nearly given Erec a heart attack.

Nina thought it was adorable. Erec hated the idea that, already, his daughter was talking about marrying anyone.

But he could hardly protest seeing that he had done nearly the exact same thing.

"You Thierris love fast and love hard," Nina said, resting her head down on his shoulder.

"She's nine. She'll grow out of it."

"You said that when she was seven."

"And I'll keep saying it until the moment we walk her up to the aisle to him." His voice was still grumpy, but she couldn't help but notice that he was fighting a grin as his eyes danced with laughter and, strangely, pride.

If his daughter could only inherit one thing from him, he hoped it would be his ability to love with all of his heart. And while he might kick up a fuss, secretly, he was thankful that his daughter was so strong minded and determined.

That, in this, she was just like him.

Louie could not care less about her intentions. Of course, Louie had only just recently turned eight and, last they saw him, was more interested in playing with toy airships than anything else. But Erec knew from experience that the love that he and his daughter carried was made all the sweeter for the time it took to grow and mature.

And Aveline was a patient girl, on top of her many other good qualities. When Erec told her that she was going to have to wait to start any kind of relationship besides friendship with Louie, she had given him a dull look and said-

"Of course, papa, I know that. We're too young for anything serious. I still have a lot of things I need to learn to be a good queen. And he has to learn how to be a good king. You'll tell Uncle Emile and Aunt Lea that, won't you?"

How could he say no?

Erec smiled as he kissed his queen, his Nina. As much as he might grouse, truthfully, he was excited for his daughter and the life she would lead. And, more than that, he was happy to watch her live it along with his wife. His own childhood love.

~~~~~~

"Now that is a vision."

Elaine jumped, her face flushed. She was busted.

Odilon chuckled as he wrapped his arms around her, preventing her from hurriedly pulling her hair back into a quick, messy tail.

"No, leave it," he said right in her ear, voice warm with affection. "It's beautiful."

"It feels weird," she mumbled, but she let him trap her arms down.

Odilon hummed, which was neither an agreement nor disagreement with her words. But he was focused on nuzzling her hair.

She had decided to grow it out. She used to keep her hair short as a defense mechanism, only wearing a long wig as more of a weapon than a fashion statement.

A couple years ago, she had forgotten to cut it for a time and found that Odilon liked dragging his fingers through it. She hadn't said anything, she had just decided to grow it out. Trying to be nonchalant about it. Though she was self-conscious about the length, always keeping it pinned, then tied, out of her face.

But tonight, she had gone up on the deck of Odilon's private airship and, under the silvery light of the moon, she had let it fly free so the wind could play with it. It was down past her shoulder blades now and she felt so cute and feminine.

But still self-conscious. She wasn't used to being cute or feminine. She outright tried not to be so much in her life that she often got mistaken for a boy. So, it was a feeling that sat odd around her shoulders and in her belly and she wasn't even sure she was ready for her husband to see her that way.

That's why she was out on the deck of their ship, alone, hidden out of the way, letting it be free where no one could see.

She thought Odilon was sleeping. Feeling him come up behind her made her feel like she had just been caught doing something naughty.

"Like starlight," he murmured, kissing her ear. She shivered. "You're stunning."

"It feels weird leaving it down," she admitted. "It feels weird having it long, actually."

"I love it."

"Yeah?"

He hummed in confirmation. "I loved it short too. It was so fluffy and soft. Now it's silky and smooth. They're both wonderful."

Elaine nudged him, making him laugh.

"I'm serious." He lifted his head to catch her eye. "I love you, Elaine. I think you're beautiful no matter what. It's not that I prefer long or short hair, it's that I prefer you."

"I don't know what to do with it," she confessed, letting the strands fall through her fingers. "I'm not good at being a girl."

"I've had no complaints thus far." He kissed her temple.

She spun in his arms, returning his embrace as she looked up at him. She was pretty short – which was probably why everyone thought she was a young boy. Though, now with her hair long, no matter what she wore, there was a new, distinct femininity about her that couldn't be mistaken. She wasn't sure what to do with it.

"If you want, I can hire a lady's maid for you," he offered. "She could do your hair."

"Every problem does not need to be solved with money."

"No, but this one can be."

She chuckled, shaking her head. "No. I'll figure it out. You're sure I don't look weird? Like a guy, just with long hair now?"

"You never looked like a guy to me in the first place." He kissed her forehead. "But to answer your question, no. You definitely do not. I will say that no one is going to recognize you when we arrive. You should wear one of your dresses. Really shock them."

"That would, wouldn't it?" She laughed.

The two of them practically lived on this airship. They had a home – multiple homes, actually – but they were having so much fun traveling and seeing the world that they rarely returned to them. They had been far south to tour all the islands and seas of the Aqua Isles, to the far north where they visited the snowy peaks of Gascony, had traveled the entire Vasconian coast, even explored all through Lloegyr.

They had made so many happy memories, seen so many amazing sights, met so many interesting people through the last ten years. And there was still so much more to see.

But now, they were returning to the barrier mountains. Heading for a city that they had talked about visiting, but hadn't yet gone to see. Not because they didn't want to see the stone valley, but because she didn't really want to be anywhere near the war.

Elaine had retired as a paladin the first moment she could. She hadn't been the first paladin to do so, but the moment she felt that she could end her suffering, she had been eager to put a period on her service. And Odilon had been eager to take her away from all that.

But they were coming back now. It was an important event. When they had received the invitation, they had immediately turned their airship around, cutting their tour of the north of Lloegyr short. They could – and would – go back, but this kind of thing likely wouldn't happen again.

Elaine rested her head down against his chest. He was already playing with her hair. She might be self-conscious about how it looked, but she couldn't deny how happy it made Odilon, and, really, that was enough.

"I love you, too," she whispered, her words almost lost among the blowing of the wind as the ship cut through the air.

He smiled. "Are you excited to see everyone? It's been a long time. Do you miss them?"

"Honestly, no." She laughed. "Oh, that's terrible for me to say. I like them. They're friends of mine, but I think that there's just too much that went on, too much that was asked of me, to ever look back on the memories of my time in service with joy."

Odilon said nothing as he stroked her hair.

For the first few years of their relationship, he had been forced to watch as Elaine tore her body apart again and again and again for the sake of war. He wouldn't say she did it happily, she complained the entire time, but she had done it willingly. He even understood why she did it. She said that the pain was bad, but not so unbearable as knowing that someone else suffered it.

But that's exactly the pain he suffered. Watching the woman he loved hurt herself over and over, again and again, so others wouldn't die. So they could continue to fight. It was not only barbaric, it was torture for both of them.

The moment she retired her vows, he had spirited her away. Of all the stops on their seemingly endless travel route, he had never included Gwenael or the war front. If he could keep her from ever going back there, he would die a happy, successful man.

But returning now was her idea. He couldn't lie and say that it wouldn't be nice to see his friends again, but it did run counter to his goal in life. He had only agreed to do this because she had wanted it.

They didn't need anyone but each other. Maybe one day, they would want to settle down permanently, give up their travels and pick one of his many houses to make their permanent home. Maybe even have a kid or two? Who knew what might change? The entire future was open to them in an infinite expanse of possibilities.

But right now, all he wanted was her. And she wanted him.

As their home airship cut through the sky, he held her close. Enjoying the warmth of her body and the way her long hair slid through his fingers, knowing that all the riches and treasures and wealth he had was nothing compared to the pricelessness of having Elaine safe in his arms.

And he would never have to give her up again.

She hadn't bled a drop of blood from a single wound since leaving her service, and he would endeavor to keep it that way. He would erase even the memory of pain from her mind.

Because she was worth it. Because she was everything.

And their future would be anything they dreamed.

~~~~~~

Felicie's brow was drawn in concentration as she stared down at her belly. It was heavily rounded with her pregnancy, and she only had a good angle on it by laying back on the pillows of her bed. She was focused on the skin she had revealed by lifting her shift. Her bare foot was tapping the air nervously as she waited.

And waited.

"I can feel you moving, you might as well give up and reveal yourself!" She ordered her belly firmly.

She heard laughter from the room leading to their bathing chamber, but she refused to give up her vigilance over her belly.

The surface rippled as her active child moved. Just once. Then again. And again, but not quite soon enough. There. And there! Yes!

"Ah!" She yelled, bouncing excitedly. "Cy! Cy! Cy! I saw it! There were two lumps!"

Her husband stepped back into their room, drying his hands on a small towel, grinning at her indulgently. "Where there now?"

"There was! Right here and right here, at the same second! That has to mean twins!"

"Or our baby decided to use two of its four limbs at the same time."

Felicie glared at him, not at all appreciating his logic, as he sat down beside her, leaning back with a groan of relief. He stretched his arms overhead, distracting her for a minute with the rippling of his bare chest.

"Why are you so obsessed with having twins anyway?" He asked, putting his arm around her shoulders and pulling her close so he could stroke her belly as well.

Felicie bit her lip, not answering the question, only piquing his curiosity further.

"Felicie?"

"Because twins run in families," she mumbled, so softly he might not have heard her.

He still didn't understand so she sighed, leaning against him.

"If I have twins, then it can be evidence that Addie and I actually are blood sisters and she'll never have to worry about it again."

"Oh, Felicie," he breathed, understanding.

"It's stupid. I know. But if I can prove it once and for all..."

"Addie hasn't worried about that in years. And just being a twin doesn't guarantee having a twin. Nor does not being a twin guarantee not having a twin. You and Addie are sisters. You have nothing to prove to her."

"I know that. And I'm not really worried about it. I just thought that, maybe, if we had twins, we could prove it once and for all."

"There is nothing to prove." He kissed the top of her head.

"I know. It's a stupid thought. I just..." Her voice trailed off, unsure how she was supposed to explain the odd hope. She wouldn't be disappointed if she had just one. She wouldn't be unhappy if, somehow, tomorrow she found out that she and Addie definitely were not blood related after all because Cy was right. They were sisters no matter what. But there was still some part of her that thought she could prove it to be true.

"It's not stupid." Cy bundled her close. "It's a question you're never going to answer, so wondering about that answer, even if the answer would change nothing, is normal."

She smiled. "Thanks, Cy."

"Besides, I'm very anti-twins," he said, grimacing. "Can you imagine? Our attitude combined into one infant? That baby you carry is going to be a terror, my love. We'll barely have an advantage just in numbers. If you cut even that by having twins, we'll be in trouble."

Felicie laughed, just as he intended, but an evil gleam came in her eye. "You know? I have a better idea."

He narrowed his eyes on her suspiciously.

"Triplets," she whispered.

He shuddered, as though she had put a curse upon on him. She laughed as he pounced, tickling her sides, making her squeal.

"You give me triplets, and I swear, I shall never touch you again," he warned, pulling her back against his chest. "And I might even give one of them to Addie and Ferrant. Maybe two. Or all three. Depends on just how evil they are."

"They'll be here tomorrow," Felicie beamed up at him. "Is everything ready to go?"

Cy nodded, rubbing her belly with both hands.

They had settled in Lloegyr to be with his family. Since Felicie's only family was Addie, her only concern was if her sister would be willing to come with her. Regardless of whether they shared blood or not, the two of them had been together through everything. The idea of separating was physically painful.

Addie must have shared the same thought because she and her husband had agreed to move to Lloegyr with them. Ferrant fit easily into the caste system as a superb blacksmith. Addie, as his wife, automatically shared his caste as Felicie shared Cy's. Cy's family, eager to have a blacksmith on the payroll, happily financed his life in exchange for his services which meant that Felicie and Addie never had to be apart.

They could fulfill their lifelong dream of living and dying together without giving up the love they shared for their husbands.

It had been a long time since either of them had returned to Vasconia. They simply didn't have anything there but old friendships that they kept through letters. However, the invitation they had received simply couldn't be ignored. Addie and Ferrant and their brood were arriving in the morning so they could all travel together.

Felicie was looking forward to it. Not just for the chance to see old friends again, but because it would give her and Addie the chance to be pregnant together. It wasn't one they had before. Addie had been pregnant plenty of times, but this was the first time for Felicie.

And not that Felicie didn't love her nieces and nephews, but she had no idea why Addie and Ferrant decided they needed six of them with a seventh on the way. She and Cy had agreed on the one and only after many delightful years of enjoying each other first.

In that regard, the two of them couldn't be more different.

Felicie didn't need anything more than this single – maybe double – baby under her breast and Cy's arms around her, holding her tight as he laid them back in the bed. She couldn't sleep, not with their terror child still doing bare knuckle fight training in her womb, but Cy was happy to stay up with her, talking about the details of their trip he had finished today.

As far as he was concerned, this was the perfect time to have their baby. They had fulfilled their dreams, they had time, and no other obligations. He was going to have to devote a lot of it to training their son or daughter in the family arts and secrets. It was something he wanted to be able to put his full attention towards, not wishing he had more time with his wife or being distracted by his duties. And he only wanted this one.

Or two, if it really was twins. He would love however many his wife gave him, even if it were the dreaded triplets. Though that might be pushing the bounds of his sanity, he would adore their child or children with his whole heart.

But regardless of how many they had, they had agreed that this was it. They were going to put all of their love and attention onto this child, raise them with nothing short of absolute devotion and dedication, then settle back into their lives of selfish fun and silliness.

Of course, they would always be there for their child if they needed them, but Cy had said, and Felicie had agreed, that the two of them had been happier as a pair than a family. He never needed a massive brood. He didn't want a huge family.

He wanted no more and no less than just this.

~~~~~~

"Finally got her down," Ferrant whispered when Addie crept into their room while he rocked their youngest in his arms.

Addie smiled, rubbing her hand over her belly. It wasn't as full as Felicie's and wouldn't be for a while, but she enjoyed feeling her newest child all the same.

"The others are all in bed," she reported just as quietly. "I've got everything ready for breakfast set out and the last of their things packed up."

He nodded. "Thanks. Lay down. Relax a bit. I'll take all the bags to the front."

Addie smiled gratefully as he turned to set little Ossia into her bassinet. There was a tense moment where she moved, making a soft sound, threatening to wake up, before she settled. They both let out low breaths.

Addie silently laughed as Ferrant snuck quietly from their room to grab the last of the bags and put them by the door. It was going to be chaos in the morning when everyone was up and moving around and getting ready, so it was better to get these kind of things done ahead of time so that nothing was missed or forgotten.

It was exhausting.

But so fulfilling and wonderful.

Addie leaned back against the headboard, gently stroking her stomach. This newest one only moved occasionally, as though to reassure her that it was there. This was turning out to be her easiest pregnancy to date, and she never really had bad pregnancies. Ferrant theorized that because her body was so used to changing all the time, it was able to adapt to carrying babies without a single issue, unlike a lot of women.

Whatever the reason, it was handy since she and Ferrant had decided that they wanted to have as many children as they could. She had been pregnant for the better part of a decade and neither of them were in a hurry to stop.

It was only a short time later that Ferrant returned. She offered him a smile that he returned as he kneeled down beside her to take off her boots. She let out a soft moan of relief as he gently massaged her feet.

Addie had spent her time as a paladin never being home. She was a spy and a spy could not work from home. She had married Ferrant then immediately left him for years because if she didn't work, bad things happened.

So, when she finally got to come home, they had immediately escaped Vasconia, following Felicie to Lloegyr. There, she had gone completely in the opposite direction. She loved being at home, she loved being barefoot and pregnant, she loved taking care of her kids. Ferrant earned more than enough to support all of them and he insisted that she should do as she wished.

"Thank you," She smiled at him when he finally stood.

He lowered his head and she eagerly accepted his kiss. It was short but sweet before he walked to the other side of the bed to check on their daughter before climbing in after her.

"Sorry for getting home so late," he whispered, as he brought the blanket up over them. "I really meant to finish everything sooner."

Addie shook her head, laying out next to him. Their heads shared a single pillow so they could speak softly but still be heard. And they both appreciated the closeness. He reached out and put his hand over her belly in a move that was both thoughtless and loving. He almost always held her belly whenever they laid down together, even if it was just a single hand. That had had been true throughout all seven of her pregnancies.

"It's okay," she assured him, caressing his face and neck in a similarly sweet way. "The kids and I had a lot of fun packing and playing today."

"Won't be too much longer until I'll have to stop working to stay home and help you." He said, gently scratching her belly, soothing the tight skin there. The idea made him smile. "Then I get to be there for all the playing and packing."

"We do love when you're home," she admitted. "Though, Noland has started talking about following you to work already."

"He's eight. He's not old enough to apprentice in a blacksmith shop," he laughed. "But tell him to ask me in four years and I'll start letting him watch."

Addie smiled sadly. "Sometimes, I don't think our children have any of me in them. They all take after you."

"Now, that's not true." Ferrant tilted his head curiously. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head, hesitating before answering. "I kind of thought... I mean, with seven children, you'd think one of them would look like me."

Ferrant didn't need her to explain further to understand.

Addie was a shape shifter. Her body could change to anything with the only limitations being that she couldn't change her gender – though she could look more masculine – and she could not add or lose mass. But when she set new features, those became her features until she changed them again. No one knew what she looked like originally. The story she and her sister had was that they were twins, but that was because Felicie was the one Addie chose to look like as her default.

In having children, she had been hoping to maybe get some clues to her own, original features. But all of her children looked like Ferrant. Even the girls resembled him more than her. Not one looked like Felicie or any other person. Just him.

Meaning Addie still had no clues as to what she looked like under her power. She probably never would. It was disappointing, in an odd way. While she had made her peace with the lack of a face that was truly her own, it was still strange that she had passed nothing to her children. Strange and sad.

"They do resemble you though," Ferrant said, pushing her hair out of her face. "Noland has your sense of humor. And Florie has your mannerisms. Linnie has all your sneaky habits and skills. Jeana has your love for life and vitality. Hadwin has your determination and intelligence. Even Ossia? We can't keep her in her bassinet for anything. She's always escaping and hiding. How can you say that our children have nothing of you in them?"

Addie laughed quietly, love filling her chest. Ferrant always knew exactly what to say. He pressed his forehead against hers.

"You spend so much time with them. You're imprinted in them just as deep, if not deeper, than any physical appearance. If anything, I'm jealous of you. I wish I didn't have so much work so I could spend as much time with them."

A frown pulled at Addie's lips. "Are you unhappy with your work?"

"No, that's not what I meant. I love my work, and I love providing for my family, I just wish that I didn't have to sleep. Then, I could work all night and be with you all day."

Addie laughed. "Well, you'll have your chance. The vacation will be a good opportunity for us to be together as a family for a while."

"I'm looking forward to it," he sighed, holding her close. "Now, sleep. You've been on your feet all day. I'm sure you're tired."

"You're too good to me."

"No such thing. I love you. And I will never take a single day that we can be together for granted, even if I get to spend every one of them with you for the rest of our lives."

Addie smiled, putting her arm around him in turn. He wasn't wrong. She was tired. But it was hard to fall asleep when she thought about how excited she was. Not just to go back to Vasconia for a while, but to spend so many days just relaxing and spending time with her family. Her husband, her children, her sister, her brother-in-law. She would even get to see her brother-in-heart, Emilien. It had been years since she'd seen him.

Ferrant would never take being with her for granted, and she would never take her family for granted. They were the reason she had to be separated from him for so long. But protecting them was worth anything, even time she could never get back.

But it was time that they had more than made up for since. And when she did fall asleep, wrapped in Ferrant's arms, it was with joy and anticipation filling her heart.

~~~~~~

Amorette hummed as she walked through the palace, doing one last check of the security. Making sure all the guards were in place, all the entrances and exits were watched, all the windows were secured, and that all orders had been obeyed. It had been a long time since such precautions had even been necessary, but her vigilance remained.

Something clattered to the floor and, immediately, a distraught wail came from her back.

"All right, all right. Mama's got it." Amorette chuckled as she kneeled and scooped up the small, wooden toy her son had dropped. She passed it over her shoulder and, immediately, the boy strapped to her back immediately ceased his, largely fake, cries.

Little Brice was a master manipulator and Amorette was his easiest target. Cupid was constantly warning her that her son was never going to listen to her if he knew she was so easy to control, but she couldn't help it. Her son was just so cute! And she had the ability to feed him and give him toys and everything she never had growing up. How could she not?

Little Brice was usually with his grandfather during the day, but the cantankerous older man hadn't come with them for the trip. Which didn't surprise Amorette. She had been shocked he had followed her to Ambraude at all. She was ecstatic though. Now, she couldn't imagine she would ever pry him away from his room until the day he died, but she was happy he was with her.

But since he wasn't here to watch the toddler today, Amorette had strapped him to her back and took him with her as she worked. Which wasn't an unusual sight. Amorette very rarely put her son down if she had him and would only do so when Cupid insisted.

Considering she hadn't actually wanted to have children, she shocked herself with how much she loved the little tyke. She had been happy to spend the rest of her life with Cupid alone, until she had discovered that Cupid wanted a child. He had never stated as much to her, not after she had dismissed the idea so flippantly, so it had surprised her.

But how could she deny her perfect husband anything? She had been worried, knowing how deadly pregnancy was back where she had been raised. Of course, her husband was the royal physician and had delivered both the princess and prince without issue, but it was a much more terrifying thought when it came to her own body.

She couldn't help but worry that maybe her stunted growth would make it more dangerous. That she wouldn't be able to do it and she would hurt Cupid by not surviving the birth or delivered a stillborn or being unable to even get pregnant.

But when she found out Cupid secretly wanted a child, she had become determined. Only to find out that, while being pregnant certainly wasn't fun, she absolutely loved her son. He was the best thing in the world, right next to his father.

She wasn't eager to have another, because while pregnancy wasn't as bad as her nightmares, it definitely wasn't pleasant. However, the look on Cupid's face when the two of them walked into his office at the stone palace made it all worth it. He lit up, beaming as he stepped back from the scale he had been using to weigh out his medicine powders.

"There you are," he said, holding out his arms for her while Little Brice squealed and bounced excitedly on her back at the sight of his father. "Amorette, let the boy walk."

"He was getting tired," she protested as Cupid reached behind her to lift him from the sling.

"He was not. He just knows you'll carry him if he starts acting tired." Cupid laughed as he set Little Brice down.

The moment he did, his toddling son was off, babbling in his own, incoherent language, as he started poking around the empty clinic. There were no patients for him to disturb and Cupid had long ago gotten into the habit of picking anything up out of his reach. The boy had as much endless curiosity and energy as his mother and, more than once, Cupid or Amorette had to sweep in before he hurt himself by pulling on something or falling down.

"Everything in order?" He asked, kissing Amorette in welcome.

She nodded brightly. "Last reports have them landing at midday. So, they should all be moved in and settled by this afternoon. All the security is perfect."

"I never doubted that for a second."

"How about you? Do you have everything you need?"

"Most of it. I had my assistants go out to get me some things, but nothing that can't be found easily."

"For what?"

"Pregnancy, mostly. Stuff for nausea, emergency supplies in case someone goes into labor. Felicie, Addie, and Lea are all heavily pregnant, so I need to make sure I have everything I need just in case. None of them should be close to giving birth, but it never hurts to be prepared."

Amorette nodded along. It was a good precaution. There was a lot of considerations to make sure that this trip went well. They were all going to be gathered here for weeks. There was going to be feasts and parties and games and all sorts of fun. Anything could happen and Cupid was going to be in charge of all of their health.

It was an important job. Amorette was so proud of her husband for all his good work. He was thoughtful and intelligent and resourceful. She had always known he would be the best physician, even when he had still been training. Being offered the position of royal physician when she had followed Manon to be the head of her royal guard had made him initially unhappy. Like he hadn't really earned it and was only being offered the spot because of Amorette.

But he proved every day with his thoughtfulness and skill that his fears were unfounded. Even now, he was returning his attention to measuring out his medicines.

Amorette stepped forward and put her arms around him from behind. He gave her a smile over his shoulder but kept up with his work.

She only got to hold him like that for a moment before Little Brice managed to figure out how to open one of the low cabinets, forcing her to release him so she could go grab him before he got into anything.

Little Brice blabbered happily at the sight of her, pulling on her hair then squeal laughing when she playfully nuzzled at his belly.

Cupid's chuckle turned her back towards him. She kept hold of their son as she came to his side. Little Brice reached out to try to play with the scale or medicine or whatever else he could get his chubby hands on, but Amorette kept him just out of reach.

"Opening cabinets already?" Cupid asked his son, passing him an empty piece of paper that he used to hold the powdered medicine.

Immediately, Little Brice crushed it in his hand before flailing it around, making spit bubbles as he continued his seemingly endless, incomprehensible speech.

Cupid's face melted into a happily as he stroked his son's hair. Little Brice barely even acknowledged him as he put all of his focus onto using two hands to play with the paper. Like it was a complex and mysterious puzzle for him to figure out.

"See, this is why I need to carry him," Amorette said, petting her son's back. "He can't get into trouble if I'm always holding him."

"You underestimate his ability," Cupid chuckled. "I should get back to work. You know, they hired three nannies to look after all the children, right? You can leave Little Brice with them while you're working."

"But why?" Amorette whined, squeezing her son, as though afraid that giving him up to a nanny meant she might not get him back.

"Let the boy play," Cupid laughed, kissing her cheek.

Amorette pouted, looking at her chubby faced boy. She knew that she had to let him grow up, but it was so hard to give up on his cuteness and-

"Wait! I got it! Let's have another one!"

Cupid fumbled his next scoop of powder, spilling it all over the scale and counter. Amorette laughed as she bounced her baby boy on her hip. Definitely not looking forward to being pregnant again, but certainly looking forward to another chubby faced baby that no one could tell her she didn't have to carry around everywhere.

~~~~~~

Sybille frowned seriously as her eyes moved down the numbers report in front of her. The new upgrades to the energy plant were putting out a far less amount of energy than initially had been projected and-

"Hey!" She cried out in protest when the paper was suddenly yanked from her hand.

She turned, glaring at her husband as he held it behind his back, returning her scowl with a cool look of his own.

"You promised," Damian said calmly.

Sybille's lips pinched in annoyance. She had promised but-

"It's just one report. It's not that bad. Let me see."

"No." He put the report – face down – back on her desk as she sat back in her chair, arms crossed as he leaned his hip against her desk, grinning.

The manor they had purchased in Petrus Landebert was small, but luxurious. It was half carved from the wall of the valley, half built off of the floor, and came with a beautiful sand garden that her children treated like their own personal playground.

"One report isn't going to kill me," she sighed unhappily.

"No, but you never can leave it at one. Come on." He held out his hand to her.

Sybille continued her silent protest for only a moment before taking it and letting him pull her to her feet and towards the tea tray in the center of the room. She had been so focused, she hadn't even heard him enter much less set it down.

A fact which made her wince guiltily, earning a knowing look over Damian's shoulder.

"Morning tea," he said, after she sat, turning to her with the cup he had poured. The honey used as sweetener didn't quite disguise the medical scent.

She took it without complaint, blowing on the surface gently before sipping. Damian watched her like a mother hawk, making sure she drank it all.

Even after the war ended, Sybille's workload hadn't lessened. If anything, the process of cleaning up afterward had been more laborious. There was an entire army she had to see to retiring which involved a great deal of paperwork. Not to mention all the soldiers that didn't make it back. And she had to help a brand new king and queen during a transfer of power.

Erec and Nina hadn't meant to rely on her so heavily, but Sybille was just as at fault for not telling them that her health had begun failing.

She had collapsed. Too much work for too long had finally overwhelmed her.

It had been some years since then and she had gotten much better, but Damian hadn't eased up his worrying at all. He made sure she drank her medicine every day – once in the morning, and once at night – as well as limited how much work she could do. Their majesties didn't need her so desperately anymore, not with ten years of experience under their belts, and her workload was reduced to a fraction, even just without having a war or its linger effects to deal with. She only had to worry about her family and, occasionally, her family business. Caring for her children wasn't a chore and so didn't add to her stress and Damian usually dealt with the business.

But like a moth to a flame, she just couldn't stop herself from helping him. However, she had promised not to work while they were relaxing here. Sybille didn't feel sick anymore, but she wanted to stay around for her family for a long time, so she was making sure to take care of her health now.

The moment she finished her tea, Damian set the cup down before taking hold of her and bringing her to rest against his chest. She smiled, comforted by the beating of his heart. It was just as good as the laughter and chatter of their children.

Children that were currently up at the palace. There were plenty of family events planned, but there were also lots of events for children and adults separately. Since there were plenty of caretakers for the kids, and the kids all preferred to play together, it hadn't been a hardship to send the four of them off this morning.

In accordance with their deal struck at the start of their relationship, Sybille had been pregnant three times. Only the first one had resulted in twins.

Two strapping older sons, one happy middle son, and one beautiful, delicate, young daughter. All four of whom had her features but their father's coloring. Her middle son seemed to have the same social anxieties as Raymond, her brother, though not to as severe a degree while her older sons took after her in their desire to take care of him. Neither Sybille nor Damian was sure where their daughter got her personality because she was like none of them. Demure, sweet, soft spoken, and impossibly sweet. Sybille was genuinely concerned that someone was going to one day take advantage of her trusting and innocent nature.

Luckily, all three of her older brothers were there to protect her at all times. A job that they took quite seriously despite their young age.

Looking after them was all the happiness Sybille needed in life. It wasn't a job so much as a fulfillment of a long dream.

Being the brains behind the war was something Sybille had just fallen into doing. She was good at it and it was clearly her duty as a paladin. A duty that, despite everything, she still hadn't retired. Unlike the majority of the others, she had not put her vows to bed. She didn't want to either. Even if she couldn't work as hard as she used to, it wasn't something she wanted to give up completely. Not considering most of it was family business anyway.

Damian had taken over most of the work from her. She just liked to be included though, and usually he didn't mind indulging her in that, to a point. But they were here to relax. He had even agreed not to do anything that wasn't some kind of emergency while here in solidarity with her.

Not that there was likely to be an emergency. His main task – rebuilding the Gold District – was finally complete. The last touches had been applied only last year. Of course, he still had jobs. A lot of the noble families that were returning to rebuild their manors had hired him to be their architect, but none of those jobs required his constant attention.

His main task was the maintenance of the district plates and overseeing the energy plants beneath the city, but that wasn't something that needed his direct, constant attention either. Most of the time, he left Raymond in charge of it since he enjoyed machines so much.

Sybille just liked to look over it all. To be included. So many years of being in charge of everything suddenly reduced to almost nothing was very hard to get used to. She just didn't have it in her not to be busy and their independent children already rarely needed her direct oversight. Sending them off to play with their friends only put her at a loss.

But that was okay. That just meant that Damian had the chance to distract her. Which he did now as he began kissing along her neck and playing with her body.

Immediately, she began to react to him. Arching up into his touch. Ten years of marriage, and she was still just as responsive to him as she had been in the beginning.

If anything, his hunger for her was greater. Loving her so deeply only made their sex life better and the familiarity was comforting and wonderful. Sometimes, his more coarse workers liked to joke about becoming tired of their wives after so many years, but Damian genuinely had no idea what any of them were talking about.

How did one tire of perfection? How did one get bored with amazing?

The short answer was: you did not.

The kids were all off playing, the two of them were officially on vacation, and he planned to spend all day and night showering her in love and affection and desire. Right up until the moment they had to go to the palace themselves tomorrow to meet with everyone.

~~~~~~

Lea turned in the mirror, sighing at the sight of her hips and butt. The comfortable maternity dress didn't squeeze her body at all, but she could still see the shape of her hips.

"You're gorgeous."

She lifted her eyes to Emilien's in the mirror. He had caught her worrying about her looks again and had stepped in to reassure her before she even said anything. Not that she would have. She knew what he was going to say, but she couldn't help worrying over it.

Lea had always been fit and trim. After giving birth to Louie, though, she had never managed to get her body back to its former size. She had returned to full strength and flexibility just fine, but her hips remained, as did the lingering swell of her stomach and breasts despite all her best attempts. And now that she was pregnant again, she was pretty sure that it would never go back.

Louie had been planned. A child that she and Emilien agreed they wanted. This little one she carried now, however, had been an accident. A result of a drunken night of revelry when Louie had been staying with his cousin for the night.

She had still been worried over the apparently permanent changes of her first pregnancy and now she was going through it again. She loved her babies, of course she did, but she really wished she could love them and keep her trim, athletic form.

Emilien, who had been fixing his belt, approached and put his arms around her, resting his chin down on her shoulder, catching her eyes in the mirror as he held her belly up. Relieving some of the weight off her back and drawing a sigh of relief from her throat.

"Absolutely gorgeous," he whispered, the warmth and desire in his voice undisguised.

Lea couldn't help her answering desire. It was hard to feel self-conscious for long when his approval for her body changes was so undisguised.

After Louie was born, she had gone through a tumultuous emotional time that Cupid had assured her was perfectly normal. It lasted for weeks and, towards the end, when her body absolutely refused to return to its former glory, she had broken down into tears. It took some time for Emilien to get her to calm enough to communicate what was wrong.

But when she did, he had been insulted because she had phrased it as saying that he was going to find her ugly now because she found herself ugly now and how could he think she was still attractive if she didn't think she was attractive?

He had gotten mad and called her stupid. Told her that her body was the result of bearing his child and how could he possibly find that ugly? Then, he had proceeded to prove it to her right there on the floor of her dressing room. The first time they had sex since Louie had been born.

Now, with this one, he was making sure he reminded her every day just how beautiful he found her, and he never hesitated to prove it. She might be uneasy about her body, but Emilien never failed to banish that concern.

"Mama! Papa! Where's my new toy?!"

Both of them turned at the sound of their son crashing through the common room of their suite. They smiled at the door as they heard his cry of triumph then the pounding of his feet as he ran back to the hallway. No doubt to show his friends his new airship toy.

"I can't wait for the next one," Emilien said, squeezing her just a bit before gently releasing her belly for her to take the weight of it again.

"You won't be waiting much longer," she predicted, staring down.

Not for the first time, Emilien gave her a worried look. "Are you sure you're okay? We can go back home."

She laughed. "It's fine. I'm not that close. And I wouldn't miss this for the world. Besides, if I do give birth in the next two weeks, then at least our baby will have the chance to meet their entire extended family immediately."

Emilien still looked uncertain but Cupid had assured them that she wasn't in imminent danger of going into labor yet. They were pushing it, but since he was coming anyway, he saw no reason why they shouldn't be here as well.

"Tell me the moment it happens if you feel something odd," he ordered.

"I will. Promise." She stepped closer and wrapped her arms around his neck. "I'm looking forward to these weeks. It's worth it."

Some of his worry faded and he smiled back as he took hold of her hips. "It's been a while since we've been to a party together."

Lea had retired from her vows as a paladin about four years ago. The relationship between Gascony and Vasconia had improved to the point that they didn't need a paladin to be an ambassador. It had also become very difficult to remain unbiased in her role when her husband and son were both Gascony citizens.

Upon her retirement, she had put her focusing into helping Emilien's military career. She couldn't actually hold a military position since she had been a high ranking Vasconian military figure, but she could help him.

Only to realize that she did not have the ability to help in a solely supportive role. It had been constraining and frustrating and she had been unhappy.

Until Emilien had found her a new task. It was one he had set to her out of desperation, needing someone to do it but not having anyone else who would. He had told her it would only be temporary, but if she could just do it for now, he would appreciate it. Only for Lea to find that she loved doing it and wanted to do it permanently.

She was in charge of veterans. Those who were injured and needed permanent care. Those who received benefits from their service. Those who just needed help. It wasn't combat, but it was fulfilling and important and Lea was actually good at it. She didn't have to worry about conflicting loyalties and she could still help people.

It was a lot of work though. Especially now. She had already given birth to Louie by the time she started, so it was the first time she was pregnant while going about her day. Only to find that she was easily exhausted and she had difficulty thinking and keeping track of things. And though it wasn't a highly stressful job, it was still enough that Emilien worried.

So, when they had heard of the plans for this year, they had both been excited for the chance to let her rest for a while before she gave birth. If this one was anything like Louie, they weren't going to sleep well for the first month or more so it was important that they take full advantage of this last opportunity, even if they were pushing close to her due date.

"You ready to go?" Emilien asked, looking her over with an approving smile. He never made an attempt to hide how beautiful he found her anymore. Even if they were out in public. It was always a good time for him to give her that look that heated her all the way to her toes.

"Can you help me put my shoes on?" She asked, chuckling. "Then, yeah, I'm ready."

"Of course." He kissed the tip of her nose before leading her to a chair in the corner and helping her down.

At this size, Lea could never seem to do anything without help anymore. Sitting down, standing up, putting on any article of clothing or shoe, even walking was difficult. She could only waddle and she felt ridiculous doing it.

Emilien found it, and her, adorable. He was so patient and good to her. Even now, he kissed the inside of her swollen ankle before fastening the ties of her boots.

"Comfortable?" He asked as he stood, offering both hands to help her up.

"As I can be," she smiled. "Shall we? I'm excited to see everyone."

~~~~~~

Laudine very deliberately ignored the stare she could feel on her back as she calmly sipped at her wine goblet as she looked out the window of the large dining room.

Petrus Landebert was spread out below her, and the city looked thriving and beautiful. There was no small amount of good feelings floating in the air. It buoyed her already light spirit and made her feel like dancing even without music.

A finger at the back of her neck tickled just before Gael hooked it under the pretty, jeweled choker she wore. A gift from him that no one but the two of them knew was her collar. To anyone else, it just looked like a pretty diamond encrusted necklace.

He pulled, choking her just a bit, until her back was leaning against his chest. He held her there as he nuzzled her cheek with his own. Checking in on her emotional state as he had done multiple times since she had agreed to come back here.

Petrus Landebert had been her prison, more mentally than physically, for a large part of her life. But it had been longer since then than she had actually spent here. She also wasn't in nearly as fragile a state as she had been ten years ago when the tradition of coming here had started.

And it wasn't so much that she wanted to try braving this place again. More like she just wanted to spend the time with people she loved and missed. Some part of her worried that the memories might lead to a nightmare or two, but it had been a baseless concern.

The Petrus Landebert she saw now only bore a passing resemblance to the Petrus Landebert from ten years ago. So much had changed and grown since then that she didn't even recognize it when they first arrived. And the happy feelings that filled the air bathed her in emotions that made it hard to even remember what happened before.

Despite that, however, Gael couldn't help but worry. Laudine hadn't had a fit in years, but she had also not been here in years. The dynamic of their relationship meant she put her trust in him completely to take care of her, no matter what, and it wasn't a responsibility that he took lightly.

But now, just like every step of the way here and all through the night, she felt fine. The only emotion he felt from her was excitement to see everyone again, happiness at the coming celebration, and the ever present love for him that outshone it all.

Growling in approval, he bit her ear, making her shiver with desire.

After ten years, their bed play wasn't generally as violent anymore. Not to say that he didn't still hurt her for both of their pleasure, but it was a more even mixture of tender sweetness and dizzying debauchery. Only rarely did they have sessions where he really pushed her limits anymore, but the rarity of it made those moments more special.

It was their children that really changed things. He simply couldn't be as rough with her when she had been pregnant. Not to say that they didn't still play their games, they had just been more careful. And afterwards, they didn't play them at all for a time until he was sure that she was healed and ready for him.

But now that their two children were old enough to run around and get into trouble, but not so old yet that they could grasp the concept of privacy behind a locked door, they were careful about when they did their more adventurous games. A three year old fresh from a nightmare and a five year old who was scared of the dark had no respect for mama being tied up and unable to get free quickly or papa being undressed and too sexually excited to calm.

However, their boys were going to be spending the majority of these weeks with their friends and nannies. Neither Laudine nor Gael hadn't seen either of them since they had run off to play this morning and the nanny who had come to fetch them promised that all the children would be taken care of from morning to night and if they wanted to return, they would send a message alerting them first.

Basically saying without saying that they could get as intimate as they wanted without worry.

The tug on her collar was basically a warning about what would come that sent a thrill of eagerness through her. It really had been a while since they had the freedom to do what they wanted. She was looking forward to tonight.

For now, however, she reassured him-

"I'm fine, Gael. I promise. I was just enjoying the view."

He stopped nuzzling her but didn't separate their cheeks. Instead, he looked through the window as well.

"No regrets?" He asked gently.

"No. I'm glad we came. For us and for the boys."

He grinned. "They really are having a good time. And you do feel like you're holding it together. You'll tell me at once if that changes though." It wasn't a question but Laudine nodded in agreement anyway, smiling at how protective he was.

Turning from the window, they faced the dining room. It was empty now as the two of them had decided to show up early, but soon enough, everyone would be here. Eating and talking and laughing like one big family.

Today, the ten year anniversary of the final peace treaty, was a big deal. Erec and Manon had decided to make it a massive celebration. A way to enjoy the abundance that both kingdoms were enjoying. To let all of the next generation meet and make friendships that would hopefully last just as long. And a way for them to all be together at least one more time.

A lot must have changed for everyone. Laudine knew she and Gael certainly weren't the same people they had been. He had a beard now. Her hair was shorter. She always wore her collar, just as he always wore the leather thong around his wrist that was secretly her leash. He was an experienced and trusted Sacellum Master and she was his lady, always at his side and helping him perform the various ceremonies the position demanded.

It had been a long but fulfilling ten years. And by all accounts, another glorious ten were coming their way.

Gael pulled Laudine into his arms, taking advantage of the moment they still had alone to force her head back by her pretty collar and claim her lips. Just a taste of what he was planning for them tonight and the rest of their vacation.

It had been a long time since they had needed to use sex as a means of therapy. He had been worried that's what was going to happen while they were here. But Laudine was completely open to him as their tongues entwined together and he could experience her true feelings. There wasn't a speck of darkness or uncertainty anywhere in her.

His beautiful, obedient, strong wife was more than capable of handling it.

Chatter from outside the door broke them apart and they looked over just before it opened, admitting Erec and Nina. The two of them smiled, calling out to them in greeting.

A greeting that Gael returned as he turned, keeping one arm around Laudine, as the royal couple approached. They started chatting about where the others were, but hadn't even finished the conversation before the doors opened again, this time admitting Colette and Nicolas. They cried out in excitement. It had been a long time since they had seen them as they never left South Gate to visit the capital.

And so it went for the better part of an hour. Every so often, the doors would open and admit another couple and there was invariably a cheer of excitement from those already inside, happy to see whoever stepped within.

All of Laudine's sister paladins. All of their husbands. Everyone in one location for the first time in ten years. The only other time before being the last day of the war, when they were all forced to come together for the sake of madness and grief.

But now they were joined in joy and healing. Happiness and delight. A family, even if most of them didn't share blood.

In such a room, filled with such feelings, Laudine couldn't remember her past in this city. There was only the present and the promise of the future.

~~~~~~

Manon and Jacques walked down the familiar halls of Petrus Landebert's palace, arm in arm, smiling around at how beautiful everything was.

This celebration had been Manon's idea, though Erec had approved of it completely when she wrote about it to him. Since it was his city, he had opted to pay for it, but he had left all the planning and execution to Manon.

She had been here for a couple weeks already, with Jacques and their two kids, making sure everything was prepared for everyone to visit. She had been there to great everyone as they came into the city and saw to their lodgings – except for Sybille and Odilon who had both bought houses within the city and so hadn't needed to stay at the palace.

"You really outdid yourself, my love," Jacques said as they walked down a long hall filled with large windows that allowed them to see the city below.

"We're never going to have a chance like this again," Manon said, pausing with him so they could admire the plethora of brightly colored banners that decorated the city. "And it was easy considering how eager all the citizens were to help."

Though it hadn't been planned that way, Petrus Landebert had quickly become a city that was just as populated by Gasconites as it was Vasconians. And though the city was technically part of Vasconia, everyone knew that both sides of the mountain were welcome here.

And since Manon and Jacques returned once a year to spend time with their extended family, naturally that meant more Gasconites came with them. More people to live and thrive here. To grow the city. Homes were starting to creep upwards along the walls of the valley as the city expanded. The two balconies that led to the outside world now had proper lifts so that those long stairs weren't the only way in or out and wagons could just drive on and be taken down or out which helped facilitate trade and growth. That had definitely been one of Jacques' better ideas.

"We're going to see them again," Jacques said, reading the bittersweet sadness in her face. "Even if we don't see them all at once, we're not saying goodbye."

She gave him a sad smile. "I just wish that papa could have made it."

"He's safe and happy where he is. And looking forward to seeing both of us afterwards. That will be a separate, pleasant visit as well. He doesn't need to be here." Jacques had his own, slightly sad look on his face that she banished with a stroke of her fingers across his cheek.

Sabine had passed two years ago. To be honest, they were surprised that she had managed to hang on for so long. Her health had been fading for years, even before she had been sent down to the Aqua Isles. And though she never regained her full faculties, by the end, most of her days were good. She wasn't having screaming fits or flashbacks as often. It was hard to tell since she didn't really notice her surroundings, but it seemed like her last years were happy ones.

Cyrille was still down there. He spent his time involved in projects to improve the Isles, working with the leadership there without being part of it. His favorite times were when his children came down to visit him. Which happened during the cold months. Manon and Erec couldn't come down at the same time, but they made sure that they brought his grandchildren down to see him at least once a year. And since their kids didn't need to be in the kingdom like they did, they could usually send them down by themselves more often.

Both Erec and Manon had offered to take Cyrille back. Enough time had passed and their rules were both well established that it should be okay for him to come home. But he had declined. First because he needed to stay to take care of Sabine, which had become something of a measure of atonement for him, and then because he didn't want to come back. He didn't want to face the memories of Vasconia without Radelle.

He had healed, but he had not moved on from her. He lived for his grandchildren now, but Manon and Erec were both aware that he wasn't truly living. Not like he used to. They were just grateful that he wanted to stay with them still.

After their time here in Petrus Landebert, Manon and Erec and both of their families were going to the Aqua Isles together. They were going to spend time with their children's grandfather as a family in a more private celebration of the same peace.

Turning his attention from the city, Jacques focused back on Manon. He smiled with real joy this time as he brought her into an embrace.

"I love you, Manon," he said, not even for the first time today.

"And I love you," she returned, resting her head down onto his chest.

Losing his mother had been unexpectedly hard for Jacques. Strangely emotional. To lose his mother, but also to know that he had lost her a long time ago, was a strange thing. This was just her finally leaving him in a physical sense as well.

Sabine had met her grandchildren, but she didn't seem to realize that she was related to Princess Radelle or Prince Robert. Manon and Jacques had been careful to explain to them that grandmother was sick and she never got to spend time with them unsupervised.

But strangely, she got along well with them. They were happy to play with the children's toys that she kept around and her nonsensical logic didn't bother them at all. If anything, Manon was pretty sure that having them around made Sabine's last years happier ones.

Those two were Manon and Jacques' pride and joys. Radelle was a strong minded girl that enjoyed playing games where she commanded legions of troops – usually her brother and whatever stuffed toys and dolls happened to be around to get conscripted – and riding the pony Jacques recently bought for her birthday. She hadn't shown any interest in being queen, but she hadn't shown any interest in being anything yet. They were pretty sure she was going to be a great leader one day though, just judging by her outgoing and commanding personality.

Meanwhile, Robert was a quiet, shy boy. If he wasn't hiding behind Manon's skirts, he was hiding behind his elder sister. If he wanted to be king and Radelle didn't want to be queen, they would have no trouble turning their crowns to him one day, but Manon would be genuinely shocked if her little boy made that choice.

The two of them resumed their walk, approaching the closed doors of the dining room. It was technically the formal dining room, the only one big enough to hold all twenty of them, but there was nothing formal about the joyful sounds emanating from inside.

Beyond the closed door, all of their friends and family were together again. The two of them paused outside, sharing a smile as, for just a second, they basked in the sounds. Knowing that they were the ones that made this possible.

Turning, they grabbed the latches on both doors and opened them together.

Immediately, every voice inside raised in greeting. Friends they hadn't seen in a decade and friends they had seen just this morning. Family that surrounded them on all sides as they rushed forward to greet them.

Wine was pressed into their hands. Food was brought in by servants. They continued to stand and mingle around the room, eating and chatting and laughing. Just being together. A group that had survived a war together and brought lasting peace.

A room filled with love. A room filled with joy. A future filled with hope.

End

A/N: Thank you for reading to the end! I hope you enjoyed this series as much as I enjoyed writing it. I've been writing here for a long time and I've enjoyed every moment. However, this was my last story on this sight. Moving forward, I'm going to be publishing to Kindle and continuing my writing journey from there.

Thanks for everything. I'm happy to have been here with you.

Love,

Talia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 15.2K 51
{COMPLETED} The stars disappeared seventeen years ago. A black night sky has mirrored a bleak existence for the people of Auros. The Gifted, humans w...
2.3M 99.4K 56
👑1 in Queen Series👑 (Warning: Dark themes & sexual assault) I will have you...all of you, Esmerleda," he said as his eyes raked over my body. I tr...
12 1 5
This marks the real beginning of a long journey, of pain, suffering, and losses. As ordinary as a journey may start, no one is capable of guessing wh...
8.1K 451 16
Second in the Paladins Series: For the last decade or more Prince Erec has been trained by the head paladin, Nina Benoite, in the arts of combat, war...