A Mid Winter Night's Dream

By sweetavocadotoast

When I clocked into my exhausting, just-barely-over-minimum-wage job, I wasn't expecting to meet him. The wel... More

Prologue

1

7 1 0
By sweetavocadotoast

I fumbled, trying my best not to drop the tray as I placed it down on the table.

Prying my eyes away from the man, I smiled and checked the clock.

"I just want to let you all know we are closed now, so if you don't mind finishing up soon that would be much appreciated," I said, ignoring the fact that I'd probably get yelled at for saying it.

The group all nodded and were ready to pay within the next ten minutes or so.

The man with the icy blue eyes stood at the register while the one who ordered rang the bell a thousand times.

I came out from the back room and slowly moved the bell off the counter while typing into the cash register.

"I apologize for my friends and I staying so long after closing, Miss... Y/n, we did not intend to inconvenience you in any way," the man said, reading my name tag.

"Zane, we're gonna go sit in the van," a girl said while leaving. Zane waved them on and turned back to me, handing me a credit card.

I swiped it as he spoke again.

"Miss, I was wondering if you would be interested in providing me with company to dinner some evening?" He asked, shifting slightly.

My stomach churned slightly in anticipation as I tried my best to look him up and down stealthily.

"O-oh sure! I'd like that," I said, handing the card back to the man.

He smiled, and wrote a phone number down on the back of an order sheet, giving it to me and bidding me goodbye.

"I look forward to it, Miss Y/n."

I forced myself not to giggle like a schoolgirl. "Yeah, so do I."

"LEE LEE LEE," I yelled into my phone as soon as they picked up.

"Ugh, what do you want," my best friend groaned as they rubbed sleep from their eyes.

"I have... a date?" I stared at my screen waiting for a reaction as I texted Zane from my notification bar.

Lee perked up. "A date? Are they cute?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah obviously he's cute or else I wouldn't be going. Actually- hold up I'll show you."

I texted Zane, informing him I needed a picture of him to "set as his contact picture"

He sent one of himself and a blonde guy with green eyes smiling at the camera while the man who was dressed all in blue made a face at the camera from in between them.

I snickered as I sent the picture to Lee, as well as setting it as his contact picture.

"Which one?" They asked, "Wait it doesn't matter they're all hot."

"Ew," I said simply, "it's the platinum blond one."

"Ooh he is cute. Does he smell good? Wait- is he secretly a murderer?"

I giggled. "No, he's not a murderer. At least- I hope he's not a murderer," I said, "we're planning for this Friday so I guess I'll find out then."

Friday came around fast enough, giving me anxious fits every time I remembered the date.

Not wanting to invite a perfect stranger to my home, I asked Zane if he would meet me in the park nearby where I lived. He was gracious enough about settling on a part of the park for our rendezvous.

I looked myself over in the mirror, smoothing down my clothes and fixing my hair.

My phone buzzed.

Zane

Hello, I am nearing
the park now.

I snickered at how formal the man was when he texted, then shot a quick response back to him.

We met up near a small bridge, and Zane immediately offered me an arm to guide me down the concrete pathway.

"You love lovely, Miss Y/n," Zane complimented, handing me a single white rose.

I felt my cheeks warm at his words, and returned a comment on his well-pressed suit and neat hair.

"So," I said, smiling down at the ground as I watched where I was stepping, "where are we going?"

Zane took a moment before answering my question. "I was thinking that we should try this wonderful little restaurant I have recently come across, if that is okay with you."

I nodded, "Yes, that sounds lovely."

We walked in the direction of the diner, chatting as we observed the color-changing leaves above us.

The restaurant was, in fact, wonderful. We were offered a bottle of wine upon being seated, which we gladly accepted.

Zane suggested I order a food that would challenge my pallette, so I found one that I normally would not go straight for.

Our conversation stayed light and fun, spurred on by the alcohol that we were sipping with faux regency.

"So," I started, "do you listen to any music?"

The man nodded, "Yes, I've found myself quite enjoying the country genre as of late. Though I also appreciate classical pieces."

I accidentally snorted into the wine I was attempting to drink. "Country?" I asked.

Zane quirked an eyebrow, responding. "Is there something wrong with that?"

"Oh, no, no, I just meant- well, it's a little unexpected from you is all. I didn't mean anything by it."

He smiled, then asked me about my own music taste, to which I gladly explained the genres I enjoyed.

Our food was soon brought and placed in front of us, and I hesitantly took my first bite, glad that the plate I had chosen was something I could enjoy.

I paused. "Do you have any siblings?" I asked.

Zane thought for a moment. "Yes, I have four brothers and a sister, though I must admit they are more of a found family than a biological one."

For some reason, that made a pleasant feeling swell in my stomach, which was swiftly broken by his next question.

"What about your family?" He asked.

I gnawed my lip. "Well, I don't speak much to my family anymore. I moved to the city mainly to get away from them. But my friends from back home are close enough to family that it doesn't really matter much."

His smile faltered slightly, but he picked it back up soon enough.

The rest of the dinner was nothing but pleasant, as we finished the entire bottle of wine and got to know each other.

Once we were done eating, Zane suggested we leave and go for a walk.

I agreed, deciding that I trusted him to walk with me back to my house.

"You're not driving home, are you?" I asked when we reached my apartment door.

Zane looked at me, confused. "Is there a reason I should not?"

Giving him a look, I shook my head. "Zane, we just shared a bottle of wine, you're not driving home right yet. Why don't you come in for a little while?"

The man thought for a moment. "I suppose it could not hurt. Would you like to watch a movie?"

I led him into my apartment, nodding. "I have Disney but that's it. You can pick."

Zane sat on my couch, picking up my remote control. I offered to make him a cup of tea, which he accepted. I also made a bag of popcorn.

I came back into the room, seeing that Zane had picked The Incredibles.

"Good movie," I stated through a mouth full of popcorn. Zane nodded.

Within minutes, I was leaned up against him, fingers entwined as we watched the kid's movie.

I didn't even realize what I was doing for a while until his hand squeezed mine and butterflies erupted in my stomach.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 3.9K 79
Alastor X Female Reader You and Alastor have been best friends since you were 5 years old. With Alastor being the famous serial killer of your time...
342K 11.1K 56
When he denied his own baby calling her a cheater. "This baby is not mine." But why god planned them to meet again? "I would like you to transfer in...
433K 6.7K 80
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
149K 3K 45
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...