Her way ✧ (Richie White)

By placidityy

"She ain't crazy, she just does things her way." [warning: mentions of death, drugs and violence] read at... More

2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.

1.

461 4 2
By placidityy

New Granada. East of Denver, Colorado - 1978

I stared out of the window at the coloured blue and orange sign that read 'Welcome to New Granada. Tomorrow's city...Today'.

"We've arrived! Aren't you just excited Adrien?" Mom babbled in the passenger seat. "Over the moon" I replied a little too flatly. "C'mon now kiddo, it'll be great" Dad insisted, his hands gripping the steering wheel.

Turning onto the next street, we finally parked in the driveway of our new house. It was bigger than the last place we lived but there was something oddly dystopian and remote about the location. We clambered out of the car and my parents began unpacking as I stood glancing around curiously.

"You know honey, I heard there's a Recreation Center for the local teens. Why don't you go check it out, and make some friends?" Dad suggested. "I'd rather stay here-" he put his hands on my shoulders and cut me off.

"We love that you want to hang with us but don't you think it might be time to get out there in the social scene and meet some kids your own age?"

"Sure, I guess so."

"You can take your skateboard for a ride, only if you wear your helmet," Mom dug through the trunk, fishing it out. "I don't know how, you already know that," I sighed. That didn't deter her. "Practice makes perfect," she handed it over with an encouraging smile.

Defeated, I clipped my helmet on and braced myself. I started off slow and easy, heading down the street in search of the so-called teen Rec. On the way, I took in the intricacies of my surroundings. New Granada seemed whack. All the houses and buildings looked the same, there was no personality anywhere.

Riding the skateboard was proving to be difficult for me. I couldn't steer properly and I was wheeling so slow that even people walking were going faster than me. "I wish Alex were here to teach me" I muttered, staring at the ground.

Getting lost in my thoughts, I hadn't even noticed that I just passed the Rec, let alone the boy on the bike approaching me until he hollered "Cops! Cops! You better get in the bushes!"

He sped past startling me back to reality, so much so that I fell off the board and into the overgrown bushes. I groaned, patting myself for injuries. I couldn't feel any but I knew I was going to end up with a bruise somewhere.

"Are you okay?" A voice called out.

A boy wearing a black shirt leaned over me worriedly. I responded "Peachy keen," as he helped me to my feet before passing my skateboard over. "Man, that was one tough fall. Good thing you got a helmet on," he chuckled. "Mama knows best" I broke into a small smile.

Beside him was another boy. A cute one, might I add. He stood a few inches taller than me, had long brown hair that almost reached his shoulders and he was wearing a green crop top that showed off his toned abdomen. A cheeky smirk plastered his face, his fists were stuffed into his jean pockets.

The sound of police sirens forced us to duck down. "Ah hell, it's Doberman," the first boy huffed. The police car screeched to a halt across the street, and the officer got out and stormed over to us. "Anytime you two get through making out in there, I'd like to talk to ya."

The three of us slowly rose to our feet, the Sgt. Doberman looked a little surprised to see me there. "Go ahead," the boy in green spoke. "You got any special reason to be hiding there?" Doberman asked. "Yeah, we heard you were horny man," the boy fired back.

I'd never heard anyone speak to the police like that before.

"I lost a contact lens in there" the boy in black lied. We were ushered forward where the officer peered into his eyes. "You don't wear contacts," he said. "I lost both of them," the boy insisted. Not falling for his bullshit, officer Doberman walked us over to his car where he spoke sternly "Assume the position. Get your hands up there."

I froze and watched as the boy in black spread his legs and was searched. "You too missy," Doberman's gaze settled on me. I gulped nervously, being searched by the police for the first time. I had nothing on me except for a lollipop that he took. "Hey, that's not a weapon!" I pointed out.

"No, but it'll do me just fine for after dinner," Doberman sassed back.

What an asshole.

He searched the boy in green to find a switchblade in his back pocket. "How big is this blade, White?" Doberman demanded.

"Three inches, almost as big as your dick."

"Watch your mouth kid. You know, if this blade was any longer you'd do time?"

"If it was any smaller, you wouldn't have found it."

A giggle escaped from my lips, I couldn't help it. The amusement of the boy's backchat was too great to not give in.

"Alright, let's go," Doberman threw us into the car. "Told you he was horny," the boy remarked. His friend protested we didn't do anything wrong but we were ignored. Instead, he turned to face me. "I'm Carl by the way. This here is my best friend Richie," he nudged the boy in green.

"The one and only. What's your name?" Richie looked me up and down.

"Adrien."

"Adrien? Ha, that's a boy's name," he snickered.

"It's a unisex name" I crossed my arms. "Sure sure, I think your parents got confused when they first saw you," he taunted. "I hope you know I don't intend to dignify that with a comment," I scoffed. "Leave her alone man," Carl swatted Richie's head.

The car ride included uncomfortable silence, not forgetting the occasional "Shut up, you little brat" from Doberman to Richie.

When we arrived at the station, we were joined by another officer and taken to a room to be sat down for interrogation. Looking at a piece of paper, Doberman began "So we got here Carl Willat, Richie White and..."

He looked at me.

"Adrien Walton."

His attention turned to Richie. "I'm guessing your girlfriend is new in town but you got enough cards on you to play solitaire. Breaking and entering, that's pretty."

Girlfriend? I blushed at the thought of it.

"I didn't take nothing and you know it," Richie swore.

"Lighten up Richie, if I want to know anything on you, all I gotta do is look in the record."

"Yeah, if you can't find it, you can always make it up" sneered Richie.

Doberman questioned him about his belt buckle. For the first time, I noticed it had a weed symbol engraved on it. I wondered, did his mother know about that?

"About those two boys you saw running-" Doberman continued to be interrupted by Richie who scoffed "Do we look like cops?"

"You look like jerks. Shut up," the second officer interfered.

Doberman pressed Carl for answers. Carl gave a few details, but not all. Still, Doberman was pleased enough to let him go by calling his father. Meanwhile, the second officer was busy pressing for more answers.

"You guys got a lot of laws right? Well, let me tell you something. I only got one law. A kid who tells on another kid is a dead kid," Richie remarked.

"That's a good rule. It'll serve you well in jail someday."

"Damn straight."

Finally having enough of Richie's attitude and little to no respect, Doberman snapped "Richie, I'm writing you up for illegal weapons concealment."

"You do that, wimp" Richie scolded as he was dragged out of the room, even getting a few more rude name-calling in.

With the main troublemaker gone, Doberman gave Carl some strict advice before his dad came and picked him up, leaving me alone with the officer. "So Adrien, you got a number I can call your parents on?"

"No Sir, the telephone isn't set up yet."

"Looks like you'll be making your own way home."

I nodded and stood up, gripping my skateboard tightly. I almost made it out of the door when Doberman called out "Oh and Walton...Stay clear of those boys, if you know what's good for you."

My mind was buzzing as I began walking home. I hadn't even lived here a full day and I managed to get arrested. One thing was for sure, I was NOT telling my parents about it. That would probably trigger a heart attack and kill them.

A 1974 orange Ford Bronco pulled up beside me, I spotted Richie on the passenger side next to his mother. "Hey Adrien, look who bailed me out" he smirked. His mom leaned over. "Hi sweetie, do you need a ride home?" She offered. I nodded and clambered into the back giving the directions.

"I'm Judy, it's lovely to meet you," she beamed "Even under the not so great circumstance."

"It's nice to meet you too," I smiled.

She turned to Richie "Did they at least read you your rights?"

"What rights? You kidding me?"

"I'd like to see them go after some real criminals sometime."

"Yeah me too."

"So what was it?"

"Nothing Ma," Richie shrugged.

"Come on honey, they told me something about a knife."

"Oh, you must mean the nail file, oh yeah."

They exchanged glances and laughed.

"Judy...You won't tell my parents will ya?" I asked.

"Not if you don't want me to. The important thing is that you're healthy and safe," she answered calmly.

I adored her already. It was funny to me how she seemed to be quite the opposite of Richie. Judy was charming and kind. He was the type of boy your mom wouldn't like. Troublesome and careless. I assumed he was bound to end up in juvie one day. Jail next. Yet, I couldn't stop admiring his attractiveness.

A ten-minute car ride would've been a twenty-minute walk for me (perhaps longer since I was new to the community) and I was ever so thankful to Judy. "It's my pleasure! You should come 'round for dinner sometime."

"Thanks, I'd love to."

Richie sank in the seat embarrassed. "Oh Ma, we can't have a girl 'round for dinner."

Judy simply shushed him and waved goodbye to me. I waved back, watching them drive away until they disappeared. Upon entering the house, my parents were ecstatic to see me. "Hi, babe! Did you make any new friends?" Dad questioned.

I nodded.

"Did you have fun?" Mom asked.

As I walked upstairs to my room, I replied slyly "Oh yeah, I had the best time of my life."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2M 76.3K 78
"You broke my first rule," I whispered in her left ear as I pulled down her underwear under the table slowly with my hungry fingers. "Why are you wea...
64.8K 1.2K 12
"you should've told me." "i couldn't." "i would've helped." "you couldn't have, you still can't." - i wrote this book when i was youn...
2.3K 32 21
When you want what you can't have. Your older brothers best friend. at first. until vivienne and her crazy spiritual shit comes into Novas life chang...
1.1K 32 12
Sometimes its not about how you found one another, sometimes its about how you stuck together through it all.