A Bad Start - A Story By Fari...

By Ladyfaree

'No, it can't be. It really is a joke, right?' Shazia asked under her breath, looking at the other women for... More

Chapter 1 - A Bad Start
Chapter 2 - The Promise
Chapter 3 - The News
Chapter 4 - The Flashback
Chapter 5 - Pearls Bistro
Chapter 6 - Husna
Chapter 7 - The Confession
Chapter 8 - The El-Muneer Story
Chapter 9 - From Tanko To El-Muneer
Chapter 10 - The Portrait
Chapter 11 - Goodbye!
Chapter 12 - Shazia Meets Amir
Chapter 13 - Crash!
Chapter 14 - Cairo
Chapter 15 - Oh Adila!!
Chapter 17 - The Abduction!
Chapter 18 - Shaleed Or Khazia??
Chapter 19 - Fate
Chapter 20 - Amir And Shazia
Chapter 21 - Mujaheed!!
Chapter 22 - Life
Chapter 23 - Shazia El-Muneer!!
Chapter 24 - The Appointment
Chapter 25 - Mr. And Mrs. Aadeel
Chapter 26 - PayBack..
Chapter 27 - Fahad El-Muneer
Chapter 28 - Forgiveness
Chapter 29 - The Mask Party
Chapter 30 - Decency!
Chapter 31 - Marital Bliss
Writer's Note 💜

Chapter 16 - Mrs. N

52 11 2
By Ladyfaree

Zayyan Residence - 17th November, 2018

''Slow down please! Eating in a rush like that will upset your stomach'. Hajiya Saudah warned Naeem who was devouring his breakfast. 'Why are you even in a rush this early? And on a Saturday? She inquired.

'Aadeel is on his way to pick me up so we could continue our search for the lady. Perhaps we might see her or her car before the day ends'. Naeem explained, his mouth full of food which is actually something very strange.

'Oh my God Naeem! What is wrong with you this morning? Do you want to choke? First you were rushing your meal, and then now you are talking with your mouth full? Unbelievable!' Hajiya Saudah was totally flabbergasted.

'I'm sorry Umma'. He mouthed. He gulped the last of his milk and stood to leave. 'I'll see you both at dinner In Shaa Allah'.

'What do you mean dinner? Won't you come home early? At least come back and rest'. She called out but Naeem was long gone.

'Let it be'. Alhaji Zayyan who was also on the dining table all the while, advised.

'But Alhaji, he has been searching for more than a month alre...' She began.

'What do you think?' He interrupted her before she could complete her sentence.

'He's being too hard on himself. It was a mistake and he has learnt his lesson'.

'You don't get it, do you? Don't you understand your son is in love? This isn't about the slap anymore, he's looking for her because he loves her'. He explained. And it was then it occurred to Hajiya Saudah that Naeem had actually developed feelings for the mysterious lady and that was the reason he was going an extra mile to find her.

'This is good news, I might actually have a daughter in-law soon'. She was excited. 'But wait! He slapped her! What if she rejects him?' She bit her nails, worrying about her son.

'Now who is being hard on herself? The deed has been done, we can't change the past. We can only pray to Allah to choose the best for them both'. Alhaji Zayyan reminded her and she nodded in agreement.

'I pray things work out for the best'.

'Aamiin'.

Fatima and Khadija who overheard everything on their way to the dining section feigned ignorance.

'Assalamu alaikum. Good morning Umma, Good morning Abba'. They chorused.

'Wa alaikumussalam. How are my princesses?' Alhaji Zayyan inquired.

'We are both fine, alhamdu lilLah'. Fatima answered.

'And where are you off to this morning?' Hajiya Saudah asked.

'Oh Umma, have you forgotten already? We are starting our final exams next week and I told you we'll be having our final tutorials today?' Fatima reminded her.

'That's true, you did inform me. Blame it on old age!' Fatima giggled. 'And you Khadija?'

'Sorry Umma, I was just about to inform you. My friend Laila called late last night and pleaded with me to accompany her to the market to get her wedding ashoebi, our friends have been pressuring her. You remember her right?

'How can I forget Laila? You've been friends for as long as I can remember. Didn't you say her wedding is next month?'. Khadija nodded in the affirmative. 'Then you better get that ashoebi out this week, you know how tailors disappoint. May Allah SWT keep you both safe'.

'Aamiin'

******

Immediately Aadeel arrived, the duo set out for their search in his car. Aadeel took the route to Isa Kaita Road and Naeem's facial expression instantly changed. He has been avoiding that road since the incident. Aadeel could hear Naeem's heart pounding.

'You really need to stop beating yourself up Naeem. The past is in the past. What befell you couldn't have been avoided, Allah SWT had already destined things to happen this way. Whatever happens in life happens for a reason. We might never understand His wisdom, but we have to trust His plans. Let's just find her and make amends'.

Naeem felt a lot calmer. That's one thing he admires about Aadeel, he always has the right words to use in any situation. 'Thank you Aadeel, thank you for everything'. He said, wholeheartedly.

They searched all day till 6pm only taking breaks to pray and eat. When they were exhausted, Aadeel dropped Naeem back home and promised him they'd continue the next day.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

The American University in Cairo - 4th December, 2018

Shazia finished her classes early but wasn't in a rush to go home - Adila missed classes that day so she had a really boring day. The last thing she needed was her aunt and cousin getting on her nerves and since she didn't want more dramas at home, she sat in her car under a shade reading a book. She tries her best to avoid the dramas with her Uncle's family and one of the best ways is limiting the time she spends at home.

But as she was reading, she got to a part about personal trainers and her mind drifted back to memories of her own happy childhood.

'Shazee, Ms. Sarah is here'. Laura yelled from the sophisticated home gym which is on the 2nd floor of the mansion. Ms. Sarah is the personal trainer.

'I'll be right there'. Shazia who was in the living room on the same floor replied. She carefully placed the book she was reading on the centre table and left for the gym.

Shazia greeted Ms. Sarah and they began their classes for the day which lasted for an hour. Shazia was made to walk round the room with books on her head to help improve posture. Laura was still on the treadmill by the time they were done.

'Laura, why don't you like joining us?'

'And be too girly like Shazia? No thanks. Maintain eye contact when you speak, walk gracefully, be confident, cross your legs when you sit'. She mimicked Ms. Sarah. Shazia and Ms. Sarah burst into laughter. 'I'll pass please'.

Shazia laughed to her heart's content as she continued reading her book but soon enough, she closed the book, her mind racing with memories she couldn't suppress.

'How does it feel to be an only child?' Shazia once asked Amir.

'Very boring!' He responded. 'I was not always an only child though.. I had 2 siblings, they died'.

'SubhanAllah, I am so sorry. May Allah SWT admit them into Jannah'.

'Aamiin'. He paused. 'They died in 2001 in a car crash along with 2 other cousins, on their way to Bauchi to visit our grandparents. I wanted to go along, but mummy felt I was too young to travel without her: I was 4 then. My twin cousins were supposed to go with their siblings and mine but as God will have it, one woke up sick that fateful morning so they had to stay back'.

'I can't imagine how both families must have felt'. Shazia, who is very soft-hearted, had tears in her eyes.

'There are only 3 grandchildren in our family now'. He sighed. 'The loss wasn't easy at first , but with prayers it got easier and more bearable. As Muslims, we have no choice but to accept whatever Allah decrees in all circumstances'. He concluded, at the same time bending down, pretending to have dropped something on the floor. His eyes were filled with tears and he didn't want her to see.

'Sorry I brought that issue up, I never knew about that. I am sure it still hurts and I am sorry'. She apologised, pulling both ears.

He rose back up. 'It's okay'. He smiled, his tiny dimples playing at the corner of the mouth.

'So any plans for University  yet? We are in SS2 now, you know?' Shazia tried to change the topic.

'I am weighing my options'.

'Nile is a good school, I think you should go there too'.

Amir smiled. How would he tell Shazia his parents can not afford to take him there and his father wouldn't let his uncle sponsor it? Amir was only able to attend Elite International College because his father's brother sponsored him but his father had already made it clear he would be responsible for his university education and his uncle respected that. 'Okay, I'll see about that'. He finally said.

After school, the driver picked the girls up as usual and on their way home, Shazia informed him that they'll be going to the supermarket at 5pm to get some things they needed for the weekend and he nodded.

At 5pm, Laura came to meet Shazia in her room, still not ready for their outing.

'Shazia are you okay?' Laura inquired, looking at her tousled hair.

'I've had better days'. She pulled herself to the bed.

'Let me guess. Cramps?

Shazia nodded. 'But I can manage. Let me quickly get dressed'. She tried standing up but with a groan, she dropped back onto the bed, her head pounding.

'Easy, don't hurt yourself please. Have you taken any medication?' Shazia nodded. 'Good, you need to rest. I'll go alone. Where is the list?' Shazia pointed at a notepad on her dressing table. 'Just take care of yourself please, I'll be back soon'. Laura assured her.

Laura and the driver set out for the supermarket and Shazia dozed off in minutes.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Naeem's Apartment -  13th December, 2018

'Good morning Mrs N'. He smiled at the portrait of the 'mysterious lady' he had painted, framed and placed on a wall in his room. 'I hope you slept well! I love you and I'll see you when I get back from work, okay?' He blew a kiss and left the room still smiling. Naeem isn't running mad, is he?

Naeem went to the main mansion to have breakfast with his family. He was in high spirits and his sisters were glad.

'Yaya, can you buy me a new phone please?'. Fatima, who saw it as an opportunity, asked.

'What happened to yours?'

'Please Yaya'. She pleaded, obviously not having an answer to his question.

'Okay'.

'Yaya, you seem very happy today. What's the secret? Or have you found the mysterious lady?' Khadija whispered.

'You mean Mrs N? No, not yet. But soon God willing'. He responded, munching his toast.

'Mrs N? You've already given her a name? Aww, this is so cute'.

'Thank you. Can you keep your voice down please?'

'Sorry'. She pulled her ears. 'I am just so excited and can't wait to meet my sister-in-law'. She whispered, laughing. Her brother was in love and she found it really cute. She couldn't wait to meet the lucky lady!

'Soon God willing'. He smiled. Abba and Ummi exchanged quick glances and continued eating. Unbeknownst to the duo, the parents heard everything they discussed. The dining room was silent for a few minutes.

'How is the office? Hope there is no problem!' Alhaji Zayyan broke the silence.

'There's no problem Abba, alhamdu lilLah'.

'Good! You better concentrate on your work. I don't want to hear any negative reports'.

'Okay Abba. I promise'.

'Good!'. He replied curtly as he continued eating. Alhaji Zayyan might not always show it, but he cares deeply about his son.

******

At the office, the staff had noticed the change in Naeem's behaviour. He responds to greetings, is always smiling and sometimes even chats with the male staff.

'Here comes our man'. Aysha gently nudged Salma, pointing at Naeem who had just parked his car. They could see him through the glass doors as he stylishly walked out of the Range rover Evoque.

'Wow! So much poise!! I really am in love. How do I look?' Salma asked, adjusting her scarf.

'Like you always do'. Muhammad scoffed and all the other guys laughed.

'Is that even a compliment?' Salma was offended.

'Laugh all you want now, by the time we are married to him, you wouldn't be laughing'. Aysha retorted.

'But who is he marrying first? You or Salma?' A guy, Abdullah asked. 'Or is he marrying you the same day?' The guys all burst into laughter.

Just then, Naeem walked into the building and they all became composed.

'Good morning Sir'. They all greeted.

'Good morning. How are you all doing today?'

'fine, thank you'.

'Good'. He replied, walking towards the elevator.

'Good morning Sir'. Salma greeted in a smoky voice. Naeem felt disgusted so he walked into the elevator pretending not to have heard her. All the men burst into laughter and Salma wished the ground would swallow her up.

'Serves you right!'

'Maybe he didn't hear me!'. She kept repeating in a brittle voice.

End of Chapter 16.

So Naeem has finally admitted being in love with his mystery lady. Poor guy!!

Shazia experiencing dramas at home? I feel sad!!

Please like, comment and Share.

Thank you 💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 131 19
~Rabia Shah A ' epitome of beauty ' and a successful business woman , short tempered but strong mind , bold , and from a very rich and respectful fa...
325K 44.2K 48
In life, we don't always get what we want. Falling in love is a great feeling. Being loved in return is even a more greater feeling. But not bein...
101K 6.7K 41
Two people completely in love and inseparable but ......one big incident changed their life and they got separated.... what will happen when dest...