The Princess and the Bard (Ro...

Av NoelleMacDonald

*Beta version -- still editing* Crown Princess Alori must choose her consort before her coronation. As the Vi... Mer

Prologue - Eleven Years Ago
Chapter One: Meet the Bards
Chapter Two: The First Performance
Chapter Three: The Two of You
Chapter Four: 'Would you like it if I picked you?'
Chapter Five: A Moment of Magical Euphoria
Chapter Seven: A Snow-Dusted Dinner Date
Chapter Eight: A Quiet Night at the Inn
Chapter Nine: A Crowded Carriage Ride
Chapter Ten: 'Goodnight, my prince...'
Chapter Eleven: An Unfortunate Encounter
Chapter Twelve: 'I am the Shieldmaker.'
Chapter Thirteen: Fires Burning in Empty Rooms
Chapter Fourteen: A Demon and its Dark Magic
Chapter Fifteen: The Goddesses' Power in Peril
Chapter Sixteen: 'Do You Trust Me?'
Chapter Seventeen: Magical, Musical Healing
Chapter Eighteen: Not a Dream, Not a Nightmare
Chapter Nineteen: Almost Like Magic
Chapter Twenty: A Mind-Melding Mistake
Chapter Twenty-One: That Fateful, Frightful Night
Chapter Twenty-Two: Trepidatious Steps Forward
Chapter Twenty-Three: Truth Takes its Time
Chapter Twenty-Four: Love and Shame
Chapter Twenty-Five: Confession
Chapter Twenty-Six: A Good Reason
Chapter Twenty-Seven: 'I Love Her More.'
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Finally, Finally
Chapter Thirty: A Royal Wedding
Epilogue: How Vicious Cycles Begin
BOOK TWO ~SNEAK PEEK~

Chapter Six: 'Do you want to be treated like a princess...?'

10 5 0
Av NoelleMacDonald

Tomso whisked onto the stage, clapping enthusiastically. Reeve was seated behind the piano, watching Alori with wary dark eyes . The third spotlight was empty. She would have looked around for Taelan, but Yuka sauntered up to her and his ridiculous show of bowing overwhelmed her field of vision.

"Bravo!" Tomso bellowed as he came to stand beside them. "That was magnificent! The music, the dance, the dramatic ending. I daresay, people shall be talking about this performance for years to come."

Alori took a long, slow breath and considered her response. Many ears would be listening. "It was a beautiful piece of music," she agreed, passing the blindfold back to the giddy conductor. "I was curious how it would resonate with my magic."

"I think we can all agree that it could not have resonated more perfectly!" Emphasizing his point, Tomso shook the silky black blindfold around like a celebration streamer.

Yuka held his viola casually propped against his hip, the bow jutting out behind him. He was still smiling. Always smiling. "Princess Alori, if you don't mind my asking, what do you call that dance? It was captivating. I'm sure none of us could take our eyes off you."

"And you most of all, I presume?"

If the stage under her feet was wet from the sarcasm dripping from her words, Alori wouldn't be the one to trip in the puddle.

"That's a good question. You'll have to run it by Reeve, and Taelan too, I suppose, whenever he decides to pull his tail out from between his legs and emerge from hiding." His easy smile became more of a smirk. "If you don't mind, I have a question for you, too, princess... Do you dance like that every time you listen to our music, or was this a special circumstance?"

Alori glared fireballs at him. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"I would. It was lovely."

The aura of triumph radiating from him was enough to boil her blood.

"Yes, it was. It was," Tomso crooned, his oblivious grin sliding from the princess down to Hamoni in the audience, where the marchioness was watching the onstage exchange with an air of amused interest. Her gaze alighted on the chubby conductor and his attention immediately returned to Alori, as if he'd been issued a command. He cleared phlegm from his throat. "Ahem. Your Highness, do you desire to hear the final trio, or-- ehmm--- am I correct in assuming we've already heard today's victor?"

Alori tried to ignore the thick beads of sweat running down her spine, but the thought of staying on the stage for another minute was far too overwhelming. "I'm feeling rather weary, actually. Would the three remaining players be too disappointed if I took my leave early? I should be able to hear them tomorrow morning."

Such poor form. Not only had she given a non-answer to Tomso's question, but on top of that it was rude and classless to leave the theater before the end of the show. It probably made her look spoiled and apathetic, but whatever that said about her she couldn't be persuaded to care. Not for the moment, anyhow. Her humiliation was still too fresh.

Where in the five hells had Taelan run off to?

"Of course you may retire, princess. Your health is what's most important." Tomso extended his reach to clap a hand on Yuka's loose white sleeve. "Mr. Ellis, would you kindly escort the princess back to her rooms? After that showing, I expect you two will have a lot to talk about."

Yuka glanced at her, raising his eyebrows. Was he waiting for her to agree?

Fine. She wouldn't make a scene. She thrust out her arm.

"Yes, I suppose Mr. Ellis and I do have things to discuss."

♪♫♪

The corridor yawned ahead of them. Its frustrating homogeneity and many corners reminded Alori of a great, endless maze. She'd started to feel somewhat at home within these walls earlier, but navigating the halls alone with Yuka was a different story. Now she felt trapped, like she'd forgotten where she was supposed to be going. Like the walls would close in around her at any moment.

"What happened to Taelan?" Her voice sounded rough and desperate, cutting through the silence buzzing in her ears.

"How is it that I won the set, and yet you're asking me about my competition?" An exaggerated pout emphasized Yuka's wounded pride.

"You can't fool me anymore. I know what you're up to." She flicked a loose tendril of long golden hair over her shoulder, straightening her spine. "However you truly feel about your situation here, or about me, you keep hidden." They came to a junction between halls and she stopped, tugging her hand away from him. "I told Taelan I'm not inclined to indulge either of you in your game."

"Did you tell Reeve as well?"

"Why? It's obvious this is between you and Taelan. Reeve is polite, he was the perfect gentleman when we spoke. Almost too perfect," she lowered her voice, "if you get my meaning."

Yuka snorted. "I'll have to apprise him of your compliment."

"Do what you will. Unlike you, I have nothing to hide."

Although he was insufferable, she continued following Yuka. With her thoughts as frazzled as they were, she'd have likely gotten lost otherwise. Plus, she had a bone to pick with him.

"I told Taelan, and I'll tell you now, I don't know how either of you can claim to be in love with me. Neither of you is treating me fairly. Whoever wants to be my consort had better start acting like it." She rounded on him, setting her hands on her hips. "Especially if it's you!"

Although she doubted she could deal with Yuka for the rest of her life, much less the rest of the afternoon, regardless of how talented or unreasonably attractive he was.

"Start acting like it, huh?" He advanced on her with searing intensity, driving her against the wall between two framed paintings. "Is this what you had in mind, princess?"

"I..." She searched his face, which was too close to hers by half. "I wasn't giving you permission to pounce on me like a ravenous lion, if that's what you're asking!"

"Do you want to be treated like a princess, or a woman?" There was that infuriating nasal chuckle again. He leaned toward her, his bow-shaped lips close to her ear. His breath was cool like mint, yet somehow hot on her skin. "Do you even know what you want?"

"Yes." She glanced up at him through her eyelashes, painfully aware that he was in full view of her décolletage and the rapid rise and fall of her chest. "I want to know why you're in love with me."

"What?" He stepped backward, leaving a precious gap between them.

"You heard me." He'd given her space so she utilized it, evening her breaths until her voice stopped quavering. "Why do you love me?"

"When did you decide that I'm the one?"

"I didn't, but I'm asking you all the same."

He glanced around the vicinity, as if to confirm they were truly alone, then scratched through his vivid blue hair with both hands. "Who wouldn't love you is the better question. You're the most powerful mage on Eala, from a good, noble family. You're also gorgeous and a fine dancer, I might add."

Alori rolled her eyes. "I don't believe you."

"Do you desire a demonstration of my ardor?" He took a step forward, another mischievous grin pulling at his lips. But she was beginning to see through his façade. "Would you like to discover if the winning musician is also the most skilled in other ways?"

Alori threw back her arm and tossed a draft of elemental magic at him, hitting his cheek. It was mostly wind, but it would smart like a slap.

"I deserved that," he groaned, rubbing the bright red spot.

"I won't apologize. You're overdoing it. You're so obvious." She released the residual static energy coursing through her with a brisk snap of her skirt.

"I'd never expect you to apologize, my lady." Yuka tested his jaw, opening and shutting it through a tight grimace. "At this rate, I'll be lucky if I'm not kicked out by tomorrow morning. Say, could I persuade you not to ruin what I've got going on here?"

Alori sighed. "Has anyone ever told you how exasperating you are?"

"All the time, yes. Ask Reeve, he'd probably like to commiserate."

A pair of servants crossed into the hallway behind them, carrying covered silver trays. The duo nodded deferentially, but Alori noted their suppressed amusement and it bugged her that they assumed they'd stumbled upon a lover's tryst. She waited until they turned down another hall and out of earshot before rounding on Yuka again. The wheal on his cheek was already starting to fade.

Cotton bright clouds drifted in the cerulean sky above the glass ceiling dozens of feet above their heads. The view was relaxing, but she dragged her gaze back down to Eala.

"Did you write the song you played today?" Their eyes met across the narrow blue carpet separating them. "Tell the truth, Yuka. You owe me this much."

He stared at her for another long moment, then shook his head. "But I suspect you already knew that."

She shrugged, her mind wandering to memories of sweet spice and the cool scent of winter. "I wanted to hear you say it."

They continued walking toward the dormitory, Yuka slightly ahead of her. Things were beginning to look familiar again, and her blood pressure was finally decelerating.

"It's not easy to trick women where matters of the heart are concerned." She glared at his back as she spoke. "You were too familiar from the start. It only took me a day and a half to be certain you weren't merely a conceited knave." He grunted something that might have been annoyance, slowing down to match her less brisk pace. "What I mean is, you are a conceited knave, but there's more to you than that. You're too cunning to come on so strong without an ulterior motive. I think you knew your behavior was abhorrent, that it wouldn't endear me to you. That was the point, wasn't it?"

Was that a sheepish smile she spied?

"I think I enjoy this tongue-tied version of you. It's giving me ideas." Gears in her mind started to turn. If Yuka liked games, why not use that knowledge to her advantage? "We need to change the rules of this game of yours."

His chagrined expression hardened into a look she'd seen before on the faces of men who were frightened by her power.

"In what way, my lady?"

There was a new hesitancy about him. Was he afraid she'd have him undermine his friends?

"I didn't stop Taelan because I'd decided you were the superior player. I preferred the viola's section, that's all. It suited me better today." They'd arrived in front of her door. It was quiet, no sign of anyone lurking. "The composer was the true winner of the round. I wish he would reveal himself. I wish he knew that I'd like to get to know him better. Will you relay the message? Will you help me, Yuka?"

He turned her doorknob and pushed. The floral aroma of lavender drifted out to them. The sound of a cane scuffing the wood floors echoed from somewhere deep within the chamber. Hamoni was in there, doing goddesses knew what.

"I'll do what I can, princess, but you'll need to do your part as well." His voice was unusually deep, drawing her attention back to the doorway. Had his nasality been an affectation, too?

"What do you mean, I need to do my part? I've been honest and forthright the entire time."

"Your composer–" As Yuka spoke Alori glanced behind them, suddenly anxious that they were being watched. But Taelan's door was closed "–will require a bit of coaxing. I can put you on the right foot, but the rest is up to you. You must be clear in your intentions. I wasn't being facetious when I asked if you'd rather be treated like a princess, or a woman. This is an important distinction for a man, especially for commoners like us."

"I see." Alori swallowed the lump in her throat. "And why should I believe you're being honest now?"

"No reason. But I told you from the beginning, I want you to win this game."

"You did say that, and when this is over I'll know why." She jabbed a finger into his chest. "If you're still lying to me, you had better pray I don't find out, or you'll get much more than a slap on the cheek." She dropped her hand. "Goodnight, Yuka... And congratulations, I suppose, for what it's worth."

A wide grin brightened his face as he jogged down the hall, this time without having to be asked twice. His easy, loping gait reminded her of a large, ungainly puppy.

"Have sweet dreams, princess. Enjoy your beauty rest."

Alori watched him a moment longer, shaking her head. In some ways she envied people like Yuka, those rare types who were able to tow the line between charm and mischief. He reminded her of her little brother, Arias, in that sense. As angry as she was at him for lying and creating such a mess of her emotions, and as insufferable as he could be, she couldn't bring herself to dislike him.

Maybe Reeve hadn't been wrong about the cocky, blue-haired bard, after all. Maybe Yuka wasn't so bad underneath his crass bravado. But that didn't mean she was going to let him get under skin.

Clutching the doorknob to her room, she pushed the heavy door farther open. The calming scent of lavender increased as she entered the bedchamber. But instead of smiling, Alori scowled.

What on Eala was Hamoni doing?

♫♪♫

The washroom door was open. Alori stepped from her bedchamber and across the threshold to find her grandmother sitting on a stool beside the clawfoot bathtub, a vial of essential oil in her slender hand. Water rushed out of the copper faucet and rose halfway up the porcelain tub basin, creating large bubbles and clouds of steam that filled the room.

"Are you drawing me a bath, Hamoni?"

Her grandmother stoppered the vial of lavender oil, then handed it to Alori to put back on the shelf below the mirror. "Yes. It's to help you relax before your dinner date. After the show you put on, I thought you might appreciate it."

A bar of milled soap shaped like a roseny bloom rested on the metal shelf hooked over the curved tub wall. A soak and scrub sounded divine, but Hamoni was being strange again.

Alori slid her feet out of her low heels and started pulling the pins out of her hair. The relief was immediate.

"I have a dinner date?"

"Yes, dear, I arranged it for you myself. An intimate evening with the bard of your choosing."

Alori's hands stilled in the middle of untwisting a stubborn curl. "And you didn't think to ask me if I was up to it?"

"Do you not wish to go?" Hamoni leaned over her cane, worry lines standing out on her forehead. "I thought I was doing you a favor. You made comments that you'd like to get to know these men better... and perhaps one of them in particular?"

Alori frowned. Once the pins were all accounted for, she began brushing her hair out in sections. "I'm grateful, Hamoni, I am. I just wish this whole thing didn't feel so orchestrated."

"That's understandable. I may be old now but I was a young woman once, and I remember what it was like. Of course, I wasn't a princess or a mage, so my line of suitors wasn't nearly so long as yours. But I did have to endure courtship when I would have rather stayed digging in my garden."

Alori hadn't known her grandmother enjoyed gardening. From the time she could remember, Hamoni had kept indoor hobbies, quiet things like reading and playing cards, pastimes that didn't require her to strain her bad leg. But she'd grown up the daughter of a cobbler in Sapphire district, and there were probably many things Alori didn't know about her grandmother's youth.

"Don't misunderstand, I loved your grandfather. We made a good team, and our boy Renji was a faithful companion to his queen, as one day your husband will be to you." Hamoni reached out, laying an unusually steady hand on Alori's hip. "Please don't let the stress of this experience disenchant you to its goal. In the end the decision is yours."

Alori forced a smile, although its effect failed to touch her. The choice to marry shouldn't have been hers alone to decide, not when two people were required to enter into the contract. She knew Hamoni hadn't intended her comment to be interpreted so fastidiously, but it didn't make it less true. By law Alori could demand that anyone of her choosing become her consort, regardless of their willingness. The thought sickened her, and she hated that someone might even believe her capable of such a selfish act.

"Thank you for drawing the bath, Hamoni. Will you tell Tomso I would have Taelan Lee escort me to dinner tonight, if it pleases him?"

"As I suspected." A hint of satisfaction elevated the marchioness' otherwise stoic features.

Alori thought better than to react. She collected her thick hair in one hand, pulling it over her shoulder while reaching for the button at the back of her gown with her other hand.

"And be sure he's told that I enjoyed the song he wrote."

"Consider it done, Your Highness."

The washroom door clicked shut, leaving Alori alone to enjoy her bath. Taking care not to ruin her silk gown, she disrobed and slipped into the tub, easing herself under the water until only her head remained above the surface, the submerged ends of her hair fanning out around her like reeds in a pond.

The act of soaking was in itself a kind of respite from her worries. She enjoyed the slip of the water against her skin, and the cathartic quality of the lightly floral scented steam. For a few minutes she was able to forget about her outlandish exhibition in the theater, and the arranged supper yet to come. But as the water cooled, so too did her mood.

Soon she found herself musing over Taelan's disappearance. Would he be happy to see her this evening, or was he angry that she'd preferred Yuka's viola?

What if he chose not to come?

She picked up the bar of soap and began scrubbing it along her skin in long strokes. It was sort of comical that she should care so much about the opinion of a near perfect stranger, a sleight and unpretentious composer from Ville-You with shiny black hair and thoughtful, crescent-shaped eyes. A man she'd only just met.

But if music was a form of communication one could use to acknowledge understanding of another person's heart, then perhaps he wasn't a stranger to her at all. 

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

1.7M 95.2K 87
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...
172K 5.8K 46
3rd in devil as of July 9th 2018 62th in heaven as of June 25st 2020 61th in soul as of June 25st 2020 I can't see their faces because the lights are...
Seeker Av Jacqueline

Science Fiction

45.8K 1.6K 28
There are creatures in this world beyond our wildest imaginations. This one craves the Light. This one stars in the nightmares of the few surviving v...
30.5K 2.2K 33
Havoc and the AOD have finally been eliminated, but that victory came with a hefty fee. Now Master, the world's very first vampire, once again walks...