Do You Believe in Ghosts? (Tr...

By T-Night

The monsters are real. They roam this land. They terrorize the citizens. No one knows where they came from or... More

Missing Heroes
The Immune
Sonic the Hedgehog
Cold
Discussions
Icy
Starving
Connecting
Meditating
Hiss
Spirit
Partner
Demons
Shadow the Hedgehog
Scorched
Pressure
Problems
Try
Healing
Heartbeat
Pieces
Blue
Assassins
Crossing
Silver the Hedgehog
Bleeding
Crowned
Selfless
Light
Wounded
The Brotherhood
Broken
Nightmares
Resilience

Aware

3K 187 123
By T-Night

"Tikal?"

"Yes, (Y/n)?"

"I never got to ask. Why can I still see you?" (Y/n) glanced to her guardian when the echidna was silent. "If it's something along the lines of you're dying, it's okay."

"Well, in a sense," Tikal said finally. "Your connection to the secondary realm has grown considerably, and your immunity is...fading, for lack of a better word."

"I figured," the (a/t) said, though it didn't stop a tingle of fear from crawling down her spine.

"It will last as long as you need it," the echidna assured her. "And I will be here."

"I'm...Tikal, I'm not going to see our world heal, am I?" Her guardian blinked, then stepped forward.

"(Y/n)..."

"It's okay. Really. I don't know what I was expecting. I just kind of think it's not fair that the universe had to pick me to be the ultimate sacrifice. I want to go home with (F/n) and her brother. I want to see Sonic walk on his own, and Tails get a prosthetic. I want to know that Shadow can breathe again and that Rouge's soul will heal. I want Charmy to fly again, Espio to believe there's an end in sight, and for Silver to wake up and realize that there is a future for us." She pressed her hands to her eyes. "I know that the world needs me, but in the end...I'm not ready to die."

"Perhaps the universe will spare you," Tikal murmured, sitting down next to her charge. "I'm not sure how this will end, only that we will try our hardest to see it through. And if we can, if I can, I will do my best to make sure that you can see this world heal." She pressed a hand over her heart. "I promise." (Y/n) lowered her hands, smiling gratefully at her guardian.

"Thank you," she said. She shook herself off and stretched her arms above her head. "Well, speaking of saving the world, we should probably go see Silver." Tikal nodded, falling into step behind the (a/t) as she stood up and exited her room.

"Good morning," Vector said when she turned the corner into the kitchen. "You looked wiped last night; how ya feeling?"

"I'm okay," she said, nodding gratefully as Espio slid a plate over to her. "Are you all going out to do crossings?"

"As long as there's assassins out there, we do crossings," the crocodile said. "Are you going to focus on Silver?"

"If you don't need me..."

"He needs you more than we do," Espio assured her. "Perhaps if you get him into the secondary realm, the assassins will be less in number."

"That's what I'm hoping," she said. Espio nodded approvingly, picking Charmy up off the floor and setting him on a stool.

"That'd be nice," the bee said hopefully. He turned to Espio. "Are you sure you can go?" The chameleon smiled softly.

"Yes," he murmured. "Eat your breakfast and get your signs. The sooner we get out there, the better." Charmy perked and nodded, dragging his plate over and shoveling food into his mouth.

After everyone had eaten, the Chaotix loaded up on their gear, walking to the base of the tower with (Y/n).

"This is where we part ways," Espio said, turning to her. She blew out a breath.

"Be safe," she said. Vector puffed out his chest proudly, Charmy nodding vigorously.

"We will," Espio promised, slinging the shield across his back. "Best of luck with Silver."

"Thanks," she said, watching as the Chaotix took off for the entrance tunnel. She sighed, turning to the back of the city where Silver was housed. "I'm going to need it."

~

She stared up at the red smeared window, though no bloody hand appeared and no rasping voice sounded. She glanced uncertainly at her guardian.

"He's been awfully quiet," she murmured. Tikal hesitated, then stepped through the door. Silence. (Y/n) frowned, then leaned against the wall and slipped into the secondary realm. She stepped into the cell, yelping as Silver screeched and lunged for her, only to be jerked back by Tikal and thrown into the wall.

"Nice try," the (a/t) said breathlessly, approaching the possessed hedgehog. He scrabbled against Tikal's hold and the immune hovered her hands over him. Almost instantly, she felt the connection between Sonic and Shadow become alive and Silver shrieked, writhing before falling limp with a burst of cyan light.

(Y/n) stumbled backwards, shaking her head. She looked up, Silver's spirit floating before her the same as the last time she'd seen him.

Camatose and unaware.

"Why?" she breathed. "Why are you like this?" She dropped to her knees before him, digging her hands into her hair. She couldn't sit with him for hours again; she felt useless. If she couldn't talk to him, she could have been running crossings with the Chaotix. She felt awful for thinking it, but she didn't know what to do.

Her ears perked suddenly and she lifted her head. His power. The orb. She glanced at Tikal, who blinked slowly. The (a/t) bit her lip then stood up, taking a tentative step towards Silver. No response, as she expected. She reached tentatively towards the orb.

Any reaction, she thought. I will take any reaction. Her fingers brushed the orb.

Instantly, Silver's eyes snapped open and a blast of teal light sent (Y/n) flying backwards. Before she could hit the wall, however, a force stopped her and drew her back to the hedgehog where his hand wrapped around her throat.

"Well," she wheezed, "that is not the reaction I was expecting." Silver's blazing eyes widened and he shoved her away from him, moving his arms in a sweeping gesture and gathering the orb back into his trembling hands. (Y/n) pushed shakily to her feet, extending a hand towards him. "Silver?"

"It's no use." She blinked. Relieved as she was that he was awake and speaking to her, those words weren't exactly hopeful.

"Silver, you asked for my help," she said carefully. He shook his head slightly. She paused. "Is it quieter here?" He lowered his head, then his form descended until he was on his knees, curling over the orb in his hands. His shoulders shook and she realized he was crying. She hurried to his side, dropping down beside him and laying a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he sobbed. "I'm sorry." His words died into hysterical breaths and the orb flared in his grasp. (Y/n) wrapped her arm around his shoulders, pulling him into her chest.

"Hey, it's okay," she whispered. "It's going to be okay."

They sat there for several minutes until Silver's breaths steadied and his tears dried. He straightened slightly, looking around and seeming to take in his surroundings for the first time.

"What..." He swallowed. "What is this place?"

"It's the secondary realm," she replied. He turned to her.

"Who are you?"

"(Y/n)." He seemed to take this in, turning the orb over in his hands.

"How are you here? Helping me? How am I here?" His ears twisted back and forth with a growing sense of anxiety and she shifted closer.

"I'm a pure spirit," the (a/t) explained. She gestured to Tikal. "She helps out a lot, though, especially when it comes to pulling you away from the ghost. As long as you aren't in your body, the ghost doesn't have control over you." Another glance at the orb. She pointed tentatively at it. "That's your power, right?" He drew it closer to his chest, eyeing her cautiously. She dropped her hand.

"Apparently," he said after a moment. "S-something about being with the ghost has separated it from me. It's trying to take it from me, but I can't let it. I can't go back to it, I can't-" He sucked in a sharp breath then curled into a ball around the orb. "I can't, I can't, I can't-!"

"Hey," (Y/n) prompted. "Silver, listen to me. The ghost doesn't know you. It puts those awful thoughts into your head and feeds off your fear. It's not you."

"I'm not a hero," Silver whispered. "I just mess things up. I can't save anyone. That's why the ghost targeted me. I have all this power, and I can't do anything-"

"Yes, you can," (Y/n) interrupted firmly. "You can, Silver. You can fight those dark thoughts. You can fight this ghost. The world can't do this without you." Silver lifted his head, golden eyes wide.

"How do I move forward?" he asked softly. "I want to help - I always want to help - but...I don't know how." She smiled gently.

"That's what I'm here for," she said, brushing her hand across his arm. "You're not alone, okay?" He nodded, though his expression was uncertain. We'll work on it.

They lapsed into silence after that, but she was content to sit with him while he gathered his bearings. He finally took a breath, glancing at her out of the corner of his eye.

"How are the Chaotix?" he asked meekly. "I remember seeing Charmy before...I can't remember anything." His jaw clenched. "H-how bad did I hurt them?"

"Silver-"

"(Y/n), please just tell me." She sighed, running a hand through her hair.

"Charmy lost his wings," she whispered. "The ghost ripped them off."

"I ripped them off."

"Silver, we've been over this. It's not your fault."

"I should have been stronger! The ghost has my telepathy! It's using me to get revenge! If it had been any of the other hedgehogs-"

"They're possessed, too!" (Y/n) shouted. Silver froze and her ears straightened. He doesn't know.

"Th-they are?" he stammered. "I-I thought they..." His ears flattened as the realization fully sank in. "If they couldn't fight the ghosts off, if they're possessed, too, then how am I supposed to do anything? How am I supposed to be strong enough?"

"Because they are, and so are you," (Y/n) said. "I've seen Shadow and Sonic already. I'm connected to both of them. But for this to work, I know I need all three of you." She frowned at Silver's distant look, as if he hadn't heard a word she'd said. She laid a hand over his. "Please listen to me, Silver. The world hasn't given up on you, yet." He looked like he wanted to argue, but he simply pulled the orb to his chest and turned away. She bit her lip.

"Would it help if you could see Charmy?"

"He wouldn't want to see me." The (a/t) smiled softly.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that. Charmy's a resilient little guy. He wants to see you heal. He's the one who had the most faith in me." Silver turned towards her slightly, glancing her up and down. His shoulders slumped.

"I don't think I'm ready to see him." She paused.

"What do you need?" she finally asked. He met her gaze, though he quickly lowered it.

"I don't know." She closed her eyes, then carefully stood up.

"I have to go," she murmured. "And you have to go back to your body." His head shot up, genuine fear spreading through his expression. She quickly grabbed his shoulders. "Hey. You're going to be okay. I will be back. I just can't stay here."

"Silver," Tikal spoke softly. Silver's head whipped around to face her and she touched her hands to his face. He struggled briefly before blinking several times. She nodded with a small smile. "We will return."

"We're going to free you," (Y/n) agreed. She thought for a moment then held her pinky out. "Promise." Silver stared at her hand, then looked up at her, utter confusion on his face. She got on one knee and looked expectantly at him.

"What are you doing?" he whispered.

"A pinky promise," she said. "Come on. Sonic had to have introduced you to something like this." A slow shake of the head. She blinked in surprise. "Oh. Well, hold out your pinky." A pause, then he lifted his hand, closing all his fingers expect his smallest. She smiled and linked their fingers together.

"There," she said. "It's an unbreakable promise. An oath." She smiled proudly, her gaze snapping to Silver at his hesitant laugh. She grinned. "What?"

"That's silly," he said, the first traces of a smile on his face.

"But I'm serious," the (a/t) countered. "Do you trust me and my pinky?" Silver held her gaze for a moment, then he nodded, squeezing her pinky before releasing and forcing himself into a standing position.

"Remember," she said as he turned towards his body, "you are not the ghost. It doesn't control you." Silver nodded, but she could see his hands shaking around the orb. "We'll be back."

"I know." She nodded approvingly and shared a glance with Tikal. The echidna dipped her head.

"See you tomorrow," (Y/n) said. A shaky breath from the hedgehog.

"Okay." And he stepped forward towards his body. Much like the other hedgehogs, the ghost reached as far as it could and dragged Silver back into the primary realm. He stood up, shaking his head and locking his gaze on the (a/t)'s secondary form. He said nothing, though his mouth slowly opened, far too much blood slipping from his lips.

"I'll be back," she murmured. She closed her eyes and returned to her body, standing and waiting for Tikal before starting down the corridor. She glanced at her guardian.

"We did it," she said, a grin slowly spreading across her face. "I mean, we still have work to do, but we talked to him!" She threw her head back and released a relieved breath. "Now that we can talk to him, we can get somewhere! Tikal, we're getting so close!"

"Yes." There was something wistful in her guardian's voice and she slowed, turning to her. Tikal stopped, staring fondly at the (a/t). She pressed a hand to her chest and bowed slightly. "(Y/n), I am honored to have known you, to be your guardian. I have truly never met someone so brave and resilient. You have never given up, and I find that admirable."

"Wait, Tikal," (Y/n) said, holding up her hand. "Don't make it sound like goodbye, like it's ending."

"We don't know where the future will take us," the echidna said, prompting them to keep walking. "I simply wanted you to know."

"Well, it's been an honor knowing you, too," (Y/n) said matter-of-factly. "But we're not done yet, so let's not say goodbye until then." A small laugh from Tikal.

"Fair enough." And with a small smile on each of their faces, they returned to the tower.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

374 27 17
Hey, I'm Sapphire - a human-hedgehog hybrid born in a human world. This is my life, through my eyes, from when I was fourteen years old. Note: contai...
136K 3.2K 18
Amy Rose has grown tired of chasing Sonic and decides to stop pursuing him. She never notices that Sonic had been in love with her the entire time, a...
2.5K 166 19
(only on Wattpad) Hey I just wanted to say that this was my first ever book which means it has a very special place in my heart, it may not be the be...
345 47 15
A certain two-tailed fox gets a vision and flies to a planet that somehow gives him a deja-vu feeling. At the same time, a new lethal threat lurks in...