A Tale From Lanoria: The Prin...

By JohnandJensMythopias

Oriana Barough is the sole heir to the throne. Her mother was killed by a mage when she was young. Since then... More

Credits and Patreon
Chapter 1: Barough
Chapter 2: Long live the King
Chapter 3: Garden of Blood
Chapter 4: Battle Mage
Chapter 5: Arrogance
Chapter 6: Head of the Table
Chapter 7: It's the Little Things
Chapter 8: The Wonders of Magic
Chapter 9: The Fragrant Orchard
Chapter 10: The Trouble with Love
Chapter 11: The Prince of Winter Haven
Chapter 12: Old Promises
Chapter 13: The Game
Chapter 14: Healer
Chapter 15: A Bond
Chapter 16: Blossom
Chapter 17: Asra
Chapter 18: The Show
Chapter 19: A Sorrowful Storm
Chapter 20: Determination
Chapter 21: Twisted
Chapter 22: Memories
Chapter 23: Agnodice Imperium
Chapter 24: On Dragons Wings
Chapter 25: A Celebration is in Order
Epilogue: A trip to Dymoria

Chapter 26: The Hero of Barough

8 0 0
By JohnandJensMythopias

The next three days were busy. Everyone was working overtime to make sure the castle was ready for Donovan's knighting. Even for the man in question. Donovan was making sure to help prepare the castle by using his magic. With his speed and stamina, he was able to get a hundred things done before most workers finished their current job. By the time it was done, everything was clean and decorated! 

People had come from Lanor and the surrounding villages and settlements to see Donovan's knighting. Even some had traveled from Asra to thank him for saving their city. It wasn't long before Barough's courtyard was completely packed with people. Oriana herself was in her room, being prepared. She had a makeup artist, a hairdresser, and a tailor to help with the fitting of her dress. 

"I swear your breasts get bigger every time I fit you, princess!" The tailor teased.

Oriana just blushed deeply at the tailor's teasing. Donovan was in another room getting fitted with his new armor. A beautiful set of steel plate armor. The iron was polished to shine like a mirror. The edges of the armor were decorated in fine gold. "You know I can do it myself," Donovan said to the blacksmith, Samuel, as he worked to make sure the armor was fitted properly.

Samuel sighed and replied, "Yes, Sir Donovan, I am aware. I will not let you take away the honor of being the first knight of Barough from me." Donovan just sighed and let the man do his thing. It wasn't much longer before Donovan's armor was ready.

As Oriana was finishing her preparations, there was a knock on the door. "Come in!" Oriana called out, as the finishing touches were being made to her outfit. At her words, the door opened and in walked Killian, holding an old sword.

"Ah, you are looking as beautiful as ever, my princess," Killian cooed as he looked at Oriana.

"Thank you, Killian. Though I imagine you're here for a different reason."

Chuckling Killian held up the sword in front of Oriana. The hilt was gilded in gold, with an exquisite shape. The scabbard of the sword was coated in silver with a gold inlay running through it. The gold inlay was shaped like the branches of a tree. Killian just smiled, showing it to her, waiting for Oriana to respond. "Was that the sword my father gave you at your knighting all those years ago?" Oriana asked Killian.

Nodding, Killian replied, "Yes, when your parents made me their first knight of Barough, this was the sword they used to knight me. I still have it to this day. It is a cherished keepsake. The oath I took that day was to protect the royal family until the day I die. I still hold true to that. Not because of an oath, but because you are my family. I know that Donovan will feel the same way someday, if he doesn't already."

"I have always considered you a part of my family, Killian, just as I do Donovan. I know he feels the same way that you do. You can trust me on that one. And Killian, thank you for finally accepting Donovan. I know there is a lot of tension between the two of you sometimes, but it means the world to me that you have accepted him."

Killian let out a deep sigh at Oriana's words. "Yes, I know. I just had to be sure he was the right person to stand by your side. The kind of man who is ready to devote himself to you completely, ready to lay down his life for the kingdom. A man ready to put you above himself and treat you as the most important woman in the Confictura."

As Killian went on, Oriana felt a blush burning her cheeks. It sounded more like Killian was talking about a husband than a knight. The more she thought about it, the more she realized how much a knight had in common with a husband. It only made her blush more, imagining this was like their wedding. It was the closest they were going to get. They could never get married in the open due to the laws that Medeis had placed on the land.

"Oriana? Princess? Hello!" Killian shouted with concern. That was when Oriana snapped out of it, now covering her red cheeks.

"Sorry! I just got lost in thought! This has been a crazy week! But I am ready for my wedding!" Oriana squeaked. That made everyone look at her curiously, especially Killian, who raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

"So, you're ready to find yourself another prince to marry?" Killian asked, wondering who she even had in mind. Oriana turned even redder as all the looks came at her. In particular, the question from Killian.

"No! Not after what happened with Tyir. Let's just move on before I ruin my makeup." Oriana exclaimed.

The tailor chuckled. "Yes, my princess. You're all dressed for your special day. Now I will leave you be. Come ladies." With that, the tailor left with the maids, leaving Oriana and Killian alone in the room.

Killian gripped the hilt of the blade, his eyebrows furrowing. "Is there something you're not telling me, Oriana? Is there something you're keeping from your family that I need to pay Donovan a visit about?" Killian asked with a cold voice. Oriana began to panic a bit before running right towards the door.

"Killian, I forgot to check on Donovan's sword! It should be arriving today! I need to make sure it is ready!" Oriana shouted. The Princess grabbed her dress, lifting it off the floor so she could quickly run out of the room. Killian, however, just glared at Oriana as she ran out.

"Guess I will have to talk to Donovan after the knighting and find out what is going on." Killian mumbled to himself.

Oriana found herself running through the halls, worried that Killian may find out about her and Donovan. She knew Killian wouldn't tell Medeis but was more concerned that he would be trying to kill Donovan in his sleep. That was when she spotted Donovan in the hallway. Seeing him in full royal armor she quickly turned down the other hallway to hide herself. "If this is like our wedding, the groom isn't supposed to see the bride until the ceremony" Oriana whispered to herself.

"Everything okay, Ori?" Donovan asked, just appearing next to her with his speed. Oriana jumped and gasped in surprise.

"What are you doing? You're not supposed to see me!" Oriana squeaked.

Donovan looked at Oriana in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

Oriana began to twiddle her fingers as she spoke, "Well, since we won't be able to get married out in the open... this is kind of like our wedding. So, I wanted to act like it." Donovan quickly turned away from her.

"I see, I guess I should be facing the other direction, my love. I will see you at the ceremony" Donovan said before zipping off. Oriana smiled brightly while a blush ran across her cheeks. She knew he was just playing along, though it meant the world to her. For him to do his best to give her this moment was more than enough. She spotted Killian standing at the other end of the hall, sword still in hand. That was when Oriana picked up her dress and began to make her way down the hall again quickly, moving in the opposite direction as Killian. It didn't take long for her to find Celsy, who was directing the maids about the castle trying to make sure everything was in order.

"Celsy! I need you!" Oriana shouted.

Hearing the princess, Celsy motioned the maids away before turning her attention to Oriana. "What's wrong, princess?"

Oriana looked left and right before whispering, "Killian is asking questions about Donovan and myself. I need you to do something!"

Celsy nodded "Of course, I will tell him the maids need help in the courtyard with the guard while they set up all the food for our guests, my princess." Oriana smiled and nodded. That was when Killian could be seen turning the corner. Oriana, once again, quickly scurried away. Celsy moved in to intercept Killian. It seemed that Celsy's plan worked, since she did not see Killian following her around anymore. Instead, Oriana just went into the throne room and relaxed, waiting for herself to be called out to the balcony where she would knight her beloved.

Luckily for the princess, she didn't have to wait long before Celsy came into the throne room. "It is time for the Knighting, Princess. Everything is prepared. I also made sure to give Donovan his blade. Since Killian told me how worried you are about it." Celsy said, giving Oriana a playful wink. Smiling brightly, Oriana got off of her throne and walked towards Celsy.

"Then let's go knight my hero." Oriana replied as she walked with Celsy out to the balcony.

Nearly two months ago, she watched from the same balcony as Donovan fought to become her personal courtmage. Instead of watching her courtyard be filled with blood and violence, it would be filled with celebration and joy. Outside on the balcony, Killian was standing looking over the crowd. Oriana could see that the sun was still shining beautifully upon the land for Donovan's knighting. Seeing Killian, Celsy looked to Oriana and went out to inform him that the Princess was ready for her entrance.

Clearing his throat, Killian looked out over the crowd and shouted, "All stand at attention for Princess Oriana Barough!" Oriana could hear the chatter and sounds of the people in the courtyard quickly turning silent. Hearing the silence, Oriana stepped out onto the balcony. She knew rumors had been flying around that she had been killed during the assault and even word had spread of her kidnapping. So, she wanted to show her people she was alive and well.

A pedestal had been placed so that everyone could see the knighting. As soon as Oriana came into view, the people in the courtyard began to cheer and clap. Oriana beamed at the cheers from her people. After a moment, Oriana put her hand up to those soft lips as she cleared her throat. Seeing this, Killian raised his hand for the people to quiet down.

Once they did, Oriana spoke up, saying, "Thank you everyone for coming! Today we are here to honor Sir Donovan Stellio! The man who saved me from the clutches of my captors and made sure no harm ever came to me! He has stayed by my side for the last two months! Never waiving! His bravery knows no bounds! He has even helped remove the cult of Beelzebub from our region! Donovan should be considered a hero by all of Barough! I present to you, your savior, Donovan Stellio!" The crowd of gatherers cheered Donovan's name. So, when he came out, they went crazy with applause.

"Look how much they love you," Oriana told him.

"I really didn't do much to deserve that from them." Donovan pointed out.

"You did though, even your smallest actions, from healing the sick to pulling me from a cold dungeon. You're a hero and deserve to be praised as one."

Donovan just shook his head and said, "Thank you."

The giant took a knee before her. He tried to give her the height difference, though all he managed to be was at the same height as her. So, Donovan had to lower his head. Taking out the blade she had bequeathed him earlier, he held it out for Oriana to take. She took the beautiful rapier from its sheath and held it out. The slim blade was perfect for her. The hilt was white, and gold inlaid with small rubies, and the swirling accents around it intertwined like branches on a tree that raced to the hilt of the sword.

"Sir Donovan Stellio," she began. "Your bravery and loyalty have proved without a shadow of a doubt that you are not only my courtmage but a true knight. A rare mark of bravery and unwavering commitment, so few ever achieve." While she spoke to him, she placed the blade first on his right shoulder and then on his left while she continued.

"I know your strength will never waver, and thus my belief in you too will remain strong," she said. "I entrust you as the first line of defense for Barough. Not just for me, but for all the people of this kingdom. Do you swear your allegiance to me and all of Barough?"

"I do. Until death takes me, I shall defend these lands, its people, and the royal family with all my might." Donovan replied. Oriana then slid the sword back into its scabbard.

"I hereby appoint you as my first knight of Barough." Oriana replied, as the crowd began to loudly cheer.

Turning from him for just a moment, she would take a crest off of a silken pillow that Celsy was holding before she turned to face him again "Donovan Stellio, I, Oriana Barough, bequeath unto you my personal crest," she told him. The crest was a drawn blade with strong wings at its hilt. Two knight's helmets on either side, facing in opposite directions. One side represented the humans, while the other was a mage. It was placed as a reminder that together they were stronger.

"May it serve as my fullest trust unto you," she said before she held out the pillow for him to take. "And one day, I pray it will stand as a symbol of peace for all of Lanoria," she told him.

"I promise to protect you and help you bring peace to the lands." Donovan pledged to Oriana before standing up straight and putting the crest on his armor, making sure to use his magic to meld it properly. It now sat on his chest plate for all to see. Wondrous applause again filled the air and Oriana gushed over him. He looked so handsome in his armor. Like the king, she wanted to make him.

After the ceremony, it was just the two of them in the throne room. She gazed at the paintings on the wall to her right. Her parents looked so nice up there, both their portraits hung regally. She even had one. She had on a golden dress with jeweled bands in her hair over her right shoulder. "Those are your parents, right?" Donovan asked. Oriana nodded as she looked over their portraits.

"Yes, Felix and Annabelle Barough," she said.

It was obvious, just by looking at the portrait that Oriana took after her mother. Annabelle was curvaceous and beautiful, with long dark blonde hair and smooth fair skin. Her eyes were a warm blue, which seemed to twinkle, as if the Queen was hardly without a smile on her face. "I really hope nothing ever happens to their portraits. They're the last few remnants I have of them," she told him as she fought back some tears. "I really miss them, especially my father."

"My barriers will keep the paintings safe. Even if the throne room burns down, they will still be here." Donovan conjured up twelve nail-like objects with crystals at the ends of them. "Here, these will hold my magic for a while and protect the paintings," Donovan told Oriana. The mage lazily flicked them into the wall around the painting. From the crystals on the nails came golden barriers that formed around the paintings.

"You always seem to know just what to do, don't you?" Oriana asked.

He leaned in and kissed Oriana on the cheek before saying, "You look just like your mother, except with more boobs."

Oriana laughed before saying, "You are an incorrigible flirt!" but it lightened the pain a little. She looked at the paintings, just the ones of her parents. Her eyes locked onto one painting that hung away from her parents' personal portraits. The painting, in particular, was a family portrait that hung above her throne. Donovan had also protected her favorite, and by far the smallest. She was very young in the painting, standing between her mother and father in a little white dress. Her hair was in small golden curls.

"I remember this one clearly," she told him. "I had such a stomachache because my mother let me have fresh cherries for the first time. Turns out I can't eat them," she said. "So, I was sitting there for hours, trying not to let it show on my face. I'm just sweating, my hair was absolutely drenched, and I was so pale." Oriana sighed, thinking back to the awful experience before continuing.

"Finally, my father asked them to stop, scooped me up and carried me to a white mage himself. My mother and father spent the whole rest of the night with me, even though they were supposed to go to Florel for a party. I remember hearing my father saying, 'family comes first' before drifting off to sleep." She gave Donovan a smile; a sad one, but one just the same. While she was talking to him about it, the tears rolled silently down her face.

"Your parents sound like such wonderful people. I am sure they would have gotten along with my mother." He was trying to get her to smile, but it didn't seem to work as well as it usually did.

"I'm sure they would have," she said softly. When she said family comes first, he frowned. It was a phrase he had heard all too often and reminded him of Medeis.

"One day soon, hopefully, it'll be that way again for us. We will have a big family, you'll see." Donovan reached out and gently began to wipe his lover's tears away. "It will be here before we know it. We will have a bunch of little ones running around. Black and blonde-haired little angels." Donovan said to Oriana before leaning in and giving her a deep, loving kiss.

Oriana was melting into his loving embrace. Whenever they kissed, it seemed all the darkness in the world just went away. Then, just for that sweet moment, she entered into the halls of valor with him. Her hands pressed up against the decorative plate armor, just wishing she could feel those strong muscles underneath. Donovan's hands were wandering around to her backside, pressing her lower body right up against his own. Their kiss only grew deeper and more passionate. Until Donovan was outright just sucking away on Oriana's tongue while she ground up against him. The two of them were swept up in the moment, letting their love take them to another plane of existence. Only to be interrupted by the sound of someone coughing nearby.

That had the two of them quickly breaking the kiss. Looking to the side, they saw Celsy standing there glaring at the two of them. "Now what you do behind closed doors is no one else's business but your own. However, doing something so lewd in the middle of the throne room is not appropriate!" Celsy exclaimed, getting more and more upset as she went on. Donovan just sighed and gave Oriana a slap on the butt, which made her squeak. Celsy glowered at him before shouting

"Donovan! That kind of behavior is not tolerated outside of the bedroom!"

Looking at Oriana, Donovan said, "You heard Celsy, I can only give you spankings in the bedroom from now on and any other lewd things I wish to do to you. Just as long as it is the bedroom."

Celsy's face turned a bit red at Donovan's reply. Turning to Oriana, she said, "Are you sure you're okay with the perverted man in the castle?!" Oriana was just standing there, covering her red cheeks.

Despite Oriana not being able to look at Celsy properly, she confidently replied, "Yes, and it's a little late now. Let's just keep our sex life between us, Donovan. She doesn't need to know all the lewd things we do together."

At that point, Celsy looked like she was about to blow a vein in her forehead before she shouted, "ALL THE LEWD THINGS?!!!" She glared at Donovan.

That was when Celsy wrapped her arms around Oriana and held her close "Oh my child, oh Oriana. This man has corrupted you. I am sorry I was not able to protect you like I was supposed to!"

Oriana just shook her head and squeaked, "It's not like that! What we do is beautiful and wonderful! Please don't bash something that is so special to me, Celsy."

"Fine, I understand. I just worry about you"

That was when Donovan leaned in and said, "Don't worry. I don't want to corrupt Ori. I love the person she is, and I would never want to destroy that."

Celsy just let out a sigh before saying, "Fine, the feast is finally ready, so let's go eat. Killian is just finishing up in the courtyard. All the guests have received the food and ale they needed."

Donovan smiled happily and picked up the two of them in his arms. In an instant, they found themselves in the private dining room they all usually ate in. "I swear... I will never get used to that," Celsy said as he put her down, because the poor woman looked a little pale.

Oriana giggled quietly as she rubbed Celsy's back "Yes, but you know how he gets when you mention food." Celsy only nodded as the three of them took their seats. By the time they sat down, Killian walked into the dining room with a big smile on his face.

"Ah, two knights and two ladies for dinner tonight." Killian said.

Oriana smiled and replied, "Yes, our small but perfect little family."

"After all the excitement, I need all this food!" Donovan shouted as he stuffed his face. Killian just shook his head before saying, "Yes, a great way to honor and reward the Princess's first knight of Barough."

Donovan used a pint of water to swallow his food and nodded, "Of course. However, I am far more interested in being back in bed with Oriana. I think that will be my real reward." At the statement, the table went silent. Oriana instantly covered her face in embarrassment.

"Oh no..." Celsy whispered, followed by a light smack as her palm met her face. Killian put down his fork and gripped his cutting knife even tighter.

"What did you say?" Killian asked in a deep, angry voice.

Donovan was too busy stuffing his face to notice and just replied, "Oriana and I have been sharing a bed since the theater trip. I figured Celsy mentioned it by now." Donovan looked around the table at the stares and glares he was getting from the two women. He then looked back at Killian's angry red face.

Gulping down his food, he said, "He doesn't know, does he? You didn't tell him yet, did you, Celsy?" Donovan saw the two women who were beside themselves at the situation. He looked over at Killian once more, who seemed as if he was ready to go on a killing spree. "Whoops" was all that Donovan said before picking up an apple and taking a big bite out of it. That was when Killian threw his knife across the table, right into Donovan's apple. As soon as the blade was thrown, the dinner table quickly descended into chaos.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

457 5 16
*Content Introduction* I swear, Your Grace will not regret marrying me. I became an extra doomed to be assassinated shortly after marriage. It's sad...
79 4 5
After a betrayal by those she considered family, a girl finds herself in Ssenkrad, a forbidden land where magic-wielding Fae reside. She is soon take...
1.1K 236 35
My name is Kalista. They call me the beast. Kalista has been cursed by a powerful sorceress and is now a prisoner in her own palace. As petals fall f...
8.8K 766 44
(Book One) Believed to be the descendants of Angels, the winged ones have ruled Engeldom for centuries, taking humans as their slaves. When Alina's c...