Planning Forever After (Book...

By moudenes

Flowers, invitations, music... a Cinderella carriage or an elephant... Thomas Morgan can arrange every weddin... More

Chapter 1 - Thomas
Chapter 2 - Abigail
Chapter 3 - James
Chapter 4 - William
Chapter 5 - Didier
Chapter 6 - Carter
Chapter 7 - Assistant
Chapter 8 - Buddy
Chapter 9 - Proposal
Chapter 10 - London
Chapter 11 - Lunch
Chapter 12 - Radio
Chapter 13 - Fired
Chapter 14 - Problem
Chapter 15 - Bowling
Chapter 16 - Mail
Chapter 17 - Okay
Chapter 18 - Substitute
Chapter 19 - Lawsuit
Chapter 20 - Coffee
Chapter 21 - Officiant
Chapter 22 - Fifth Date
Chapter 23 - The Groom's Brother
Chapter 24 - Memories
Chapter 25 - Pizza
Chapter 26 - Arcade
Chapter 27 - High Tea
Chapter 28 - Mrs. Caldwell
Chapter 29 - Potluck
Chapter 30 - Performers
Chapter 31 - Secret
Chapter 32 - Breakfast
Chapter 33 - High Tea
Chapter 35 - Fairgrounds
Chapter 36 - Circus Tent
Chapter 37 - Extra Guests
Chapter 38 - Odd Guests
Chapter 39 - Forever After

Chapter 34 - Ideas

129 18 0
By moudenes

ABIGAIL

When Thomas called me, I found it slightly odd, since I knew he was Marissa on a date, although to me he said he was checking a tea salon as a possible venue.  I answered his call since we are completing the details of Carter and Dennis' wedding, and it could have been about anything related to it. The news he shared left me so shocked that I had to park my car on a bend and started laughing so hard I almost choked.

"I knew they were friends," I say as I wipe my happy tears and rummage through my bag for a bottle of water. "He comes to visit her at the store, brings her lunch some times. I thought it was a sweet gesture. Now I see he was courting her."

"But Ma and Papa O'Brien," Thomas' frustrated voice comes through my car speakers. "They are the last people on this planet I can picture as a couple. They are so different."

"Are they really, Thomas? Both have strong characters, have raised kids when they didn't have a penny to scratch their ass and, more importantly, lost the love of their lives. How did Marissa take the news?"

"She feels as confused as I am, but she's happy about it. More than anything, she's wondering why he kept their relationship a secret. It has been 24 years since her mom passed away and he's dated since, but it never amounted to anything serious."

"And what about Mom?"

"She looked... What's the word I'm looking for? Pleased? You know how Ma is. Too down to earth to make a big deal out of it. It appears that she was watching when I was about to propose to Marissa when he popped the question."

"YOU DID WHAT?"

Luckily I had swallowed my water because otherwise it would have been sprayed on my steering wheel.

"I know! It's out of character for me, but you know better than anyone that Marissa has been my only love. Ugh, why did I say that out loud to you?"

"Tommy, I'm surprised, but I'm over the moon about this. Goodness gracious! With so many family weddings to plan, we won't have time to take on... Work..." My voice chokes and this time happy tears come.

I don't know why I feel like this about Thomas getting married. Probably because my brother and I have worked together so closely in the past years that I wish him all the love life has to offer, and luckily, he's found it with someone who loves him back.

"Okay, enough emotion. We are expected tonight at Mom's house for a small celebration."

"I'll be there," I say as I fan my face and hope my makeup makes its waterproof promise true. "Do you have a date in mind for your wedding? I haven't even started thinking about ours. Everything feels so new."

"Same with us. Our priority is to search for a new house that fits our needs and we need to tell Rosita and Almond."

"Thomas, you know they are cats, right?"

"Rosita is the love of my life. She has the right to know. Plus, she'll be sharing the new space with a hunk that luckily is sterilized."

I shake my head, even though he can't see me. Thomas is losing touch with reality.

"Anyway, Ma already said she doesn't want all bells and whistles. A civil ceremony with family, a few friends and employees followed by breakfast at O'Brien's."

"For someone who didn't know she would be proposed to, she had it all worked out," I say and hear Thomas laugh. "Well, even though we don't have a date, Didier and I talk from time to time about it. We were discussing who we would like to be at our wedding. We know way too many people. I thought we could get away with the tiniest wedding, but it won't be realistic. One thing was evident, though."

"And that is?"

"We would like you to be our best man."

I hear a crackling noise and a curse in the distance.

"Sorry, I let my phone fall. You want me to be your best man?" My brother's voice comes out so odd that I don't know if he feels honored, annoyed or sentimental.

"Well, one of them. I would also like Dennis to be the other. He's become my best friend and I would love him to do me the honor."

"I understand that and count me in, but wouldn't Didier want one of his friends? I know he has close friends he grew up with at the circus."

"It was Didier's idea. He's grateful for all you've done for him. Not only you gave him a job, but you gave him purpose and a career he can grow in. He sees you as a mentor and a brother."

I start my car and continue driving. The line is silent, but the Bluetooth icon is still visible on my navigation screen.

"Thomas? Are you there?"

"Yeah," he replies again in the weird voice.

"Are you crying?" I ask and then I realize I'm two minutes away from Carter's office.

"Hell no, it's allergies. Probably from the cat."

Thomas denial of his feelings melts my heart. Under that aloof façade, he's a big sentimental marshmallow.

"Okay, then take a pill and I'll talk to you soon."

He doesn't even say goodbye and I hear a sniffle before he hangs the call. 

The building in front of me must be where Carter's office is and a moment later, my navigation confirms it. The friendly receptionist lets me know Carter will be with me soon and I take the time to observe the black and white photos of buildings I can recognize from Greenwood.

"Abigail?"

Carter, handsome as always and wearing a shirt that matches his blue eyes perfectly, waits at the reception for me.

"Hi, there," I kiss his cheek and he gives me a lovely smile.

"Thank you so much for coming," he looks around and adds in a low voice. "He doesn't know you are here, right?"

"He doesn't. He had invited me for coffee, but I declined. Said I was engaged the whole day. He knows we are particularly busy in the summer, so he didn't find it odd."

We enter the elevator and he presses the floor button. "Now that school is over for summer, he's a bit bored at home. Every moment he gets to spend with you is a treat for him."

"Aww, now you are making me feel bad for declining."

Carter laughs and shakes his head. "It's all for a good cause. I want to do something special for him right before we go on our honeymoon. You know Dennis by now as well as I do, and the best way I can describe what I want for him is magical. I've been thinking about what that could be and can't come up with something special enough. And I'm so sorry that I'm bringing you into this when you are already up to your neck with our wedding."

"I brought the original mood board for your wedding and there are some things he loved that unfortunately we couldn't use since they didn't fit the theme."

Carter invites me into his office and pulls a chair for me. After bringing coffee, we look together at the file and the other things I put together. He smiles as he browses through the clippings and then the slamming of a door makes us jump in our seats.

"I'm fucking fed up with them! Oh shit, sorry... Abigail? Oh, hi. I'm so sorry." Miles' embarrassed face makes me chuckle. "I knew you were coming. I should have known better. I thought it was later."

"It was. I asked Carter if he had an earlier moment."

"What's going on?" Carter gives his friend an amused look.

"The committee wants another façade. Nothing I do seems to please them. One time it has too many windows, another not enough. They had agreed on the brick color and now it's not the right one. How can a group of people be so fucking nuts? Excuse my language Abigail. I wish they would compile their feedback because this thing about having one of them call me several times daily is mental. She just asked me what is my favorite restaurant and to take inspiration from it."

I laugh and they look at me.

"Of course, I don't know this person or this project. But I have the idea that your client is more interested in you than in the building."

"That can't be right," Miles pulls a chair and sits next to me, confusion on his face.

"Is this the first time she asks you for personal details? Or is it always strictly about the building design?"

"She does... Often."

"I assumed you have visited her before presenting the plans."

"Yeah, I have a bi-weekly presentation to the committee to refine the plans. She's beautiful and wears these blouses with a deep décolleté," he smiles at the memory.

"It's an assumption, but I believe your client has a crush on you. Why don't you call her back and ask her to discuss the plans over dinner?"

"It's that it? I will call her. Did you guys come up with ideas for Dennis' surprise?"

"We were looking through them," Carter says.

Miles pulls the folder and picks a sheet. "Knowing him as long as you do, I think this will make him thrilled."

"I thought the same. He's a romantic person and weak for sweets. Is this something you can arrange on short notice?" Carter gives me a hopeful look.

"I need to speak with Luke first to see if he has time to make the order, since I already have Marissa busy with the wedding cake and the other desserts. Didier is our contact with the fairgrounds in Lonstino and I will check with him what other location options we have. I must admit that the last time I went there I was a child and remember little about the place. Well, I remember throwing up on Jimmy after going on a ride he obliged me to go in."

"Whatever you can do for us will make me eternally grateful. I know our wedding will be special, but this intimate moment for Dennis and I will be remembered forever."

"It's my pleasure to make this work. Dennis is so easy to love and deserves it. Miles, if I remember correctly, you replied you are coming alone to the wedding. Don't you have a dinner invite to make? I'm sure we can accommodate an extra chair for your plus one."

"Yes! Yes! I need to get my phone," he grins, kisses my hand, and leaves the room in a hurry.

"What will we do without you, Abigail Morgan?" Carter places his hand on mine and gives it a squeeze.

I'm in the business of planning forever afters and I love happy endings. We are doing our best for Dennis and Carter, and a nudge to Miles in the right direction won't hurt.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.3K 292 39
There’s something in my bed. It’s softer than my books, but definitely harder than my pillow. It’s soft and warm…and moving?! I am never coming to V...
9.5K 223 8
A sequel to 'Way Back' [also known as the huge mess Charlie has made]. What if the right person comes at the worst possible time? Would you fix your...
198K 8.9K 36
In a world of money, fame, and all the champagne that came with it, Camsy Colbert, the famous wedding planner, was alone. But it was fine; she was to...
577 27 12
I am Taron and I slept with the love of my life once. She never returned my calls, then I found out she was dating my brother. Now she is engaged to...