The True One

By amberkbryant

Participating story in the 2022 Stormy Nights Reading Challenge! Popstar Insomniac Werewolf? Verity Jayne is... More

The True One: Read It NOW!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4 Part 1
Chapter 4 Part 2
Chapter 5 Part 1
Chapter 5 Part 2
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9 Part 1
Chapter 9 Part 2
Chapter 10 Part 1
Chapter 10 Part 2
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 Part 1
Chapter 13 Part 2
Chapter 14 Part 2
Chapter 15
Chapter 16 Part 1
Chapter 16 Part 2
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31 Part 1
Chapter 31 Part 2
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 Part 1
Chapter 40 Part 2
Chapter 41

Chapter 14 Part 1

292 43 16
By amberkbryant

Alek

I don't trust you, but I'm not ready to completely cut you off," Verity said, taking a knife in one hand and pressing my wrist down on the table with the other. "So, let's start with a finger. Don't look so upset, Alek; it's only one. You don't need all of them, do you?"

I struggled against her, but her fingers wrapped around me like I'd been caught in a bear trap.

She steadied her knife. "What wrong? Would you prefer that I bit it off instead?"

As I continued to protest, she threw her knife aside and lowered her head, white teeth gleaming in the harsh light of my prison cell.

Bolting upright in bed, my lungs struggled as I forced quick, shallow breaths in and out of me. Cold sweat soaked through my t-shirt onto the bedsheets.

"Damnit!" I swiveled my legs onto the floor, stretched and stood. It wasn't even five AM, but I had no hope of getting more sleep. The real-life version of this conversation with Verity invaded my thoughts. It hadn't gone much better, though at least there'd been no threat of violence.

"Maybe you aren't entirely useless," she'd said to me on our final night of camping, alluding to how I'd stopped her abduction. Chip and his pack had stayed their distance, likely to nurse their wounds while they regrouped. Verity saw it as a sign of victory, but in my opinion, they were only biding their time.

We hadn't seen the last of Chip. And Verity, thankfully, had decided she hadn't seen the last of me either. "You still have a long way to go, Alek."

"Does that mean I'm not fired?"

"It means exactly what I said. You can stay. For now." She followed up this declaration with her customary hand placed against my chest. Her piercing eyes stared into mine.

I didn't know how much longer I could attempt to hide from someone who saw right through me.

"Please." She stood close enough for me to smell the jasmine oil she'd worn the last five days. Verity and the scent of jasmine made for an intoxicating mix. "Don't make me regret my choice."

Now, home for the first night since our trip, and in my own bed for the first time in what felt like forever, I was plagued by nightmares in which I'd failed everyone—Verity, her friends, Norvin, myself—and no one was happy with me. Even in this latest dream, me about to say goodbye to my pinky finger, I'd been plagued with an underlying fear that whatever Verity did to me, I'd deserve it.

By my request, Norvin met me at my apartment this time. It was my day off and no one was going to make me go anywhere, especially him.

"Taking a risk, are we?" he said as he let himself in, closing and bolting the door behind him.

"Verity has never been here," I said as he plopped himself down on my couch. "Besides, you had legal custody of me after my parents died. And we work together at a completely legitimate and well-reviewed treasure hunt business. There's little risk to have you come for a visit."

The reality was, I didn't want to meet him on neutral ground because I wasn't feeling particularly neutral towards him. I didn't offer him a drink, instead perching myself opposite of him like a gargoyle, waiting to see what sort of bullshit he'd pedal.

"Spill," he said.

"You first, old man."

"I'm not the one who's in the middle of an operation."

"Are you sure about that?"

He flicked a bit of fuzz off his vest. So nonchalant. So unbothered by my rudeness. "What are you getting at, Alek?"

I paused to consider my approach. Norvin wasn't going to give up information just because I got testy with him. Being too blunt would only result in a denial. "It's our mission. We're in this together, right?"

"Well, of course. So, that's what this attitude of yours is about. Are you still bitter that I sent you off without backup? Because, you seem to have survived in one piece."

"No thanks to you." Damn. I just couldn't help myself sometimes. The old patterns between Norvin and an obstinate teenage me tended to re-emerge whenever Norvin acted like a dick.

Norvin sighed. "What happened out there? Are we ready to move to the next stage?"

"Let's take things one step at a time, starting with Chip."

"What about him?" Norvin didn't betray anything with the tone of his words, but his cheek twitched. Same tell as when he played poker.

"He was there. In the wilderness instead of in an LA County jail cell."

"Well, that is odd. But also intriguing." He sat back and let his arm dangle to the side of the couch. "You going to offer me a beer or something?"

"No."

"Well then you better continue with your story so I can make happy hour at that new bar on the corner. You been?"

"Can we stay on task, Norvin?"

"I'm not downplaying how serious this is. I'm just trying to loosen you up. You're like a violin string that's about to snap." He reached a hand across the narrow stretch of floor between his couch and my chair and gave my knee a pat, then withdrew to his own space bubble. "So, this Chip guy showed up and caused trouble."

"You don't seem surprised. Why is that?"

Norvin brought out a flask from inside his vest pocket and took a swig. "Sorry, but I sensed the commencement of drinking shouldn't wait." He took another swig and shrugged. "He thinks he's her mate. Guys like that, even fake mates, they don't give up easily. He'll never stop unless someone stops him."

I folded my arms and said nothing.

"Wait, did you stop him? Permanently?"

"I didn't say that. He showed up with a pack of five, right at the treasure site. Funny how he figured out where it was."

"He's a werewolf. He used his nose."

"And then he tried to kidnap Verity."

"He tried to?" Norvin scratched at his chin as the wheels turned in his head. "Him and a whole pack. Well then, why is she still here and not off with them?"

"I don't know, Norvin, maybe because I shot him and several of his pack members."

"You what?"

"That surprises you? Not that Chip managed to get out of jail and track us hundreds of miles away, but that I stopped him from kidnapping someone?"

"You managed to put a bullet in him—that's what's surprising. You're a lousy shot. No offense."

"Plenty taken."

"So, he is dead, then. You didn't call for a clean-up."

"He's not dead. They all ran off. I didn't... okay I was aiming for his head, and I clipped his shoulder instead. Are you happy?"

To my surprise, Norvin didn't laugh. "Was this incident witnessed by Verity's friends and father?"

"They were all there, yes."

"Shit. So, they know now. We're going to have to deal with them then too."

____

Author's Note: This chapter ended up being a bit long, so even though it's one scene, I've divided it up. Second half will be posted in a couple of days!

What do you think of Norvin? Is he withholding information to protect Alek or for some other reason? What could that reason be?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87 6 19
(Former title: Book of Rosethorns) Cherish thought she'd escaped her past years ago--settled down in some forgotten, sleepy town, gotten a steady job...
Queen Of 2 Worlds By Quine

Mystery / Thriller

8.4K 2.1K 67
|Featured in @mystery, @generalfiction, @SpeculativeFiction and @Fantasy| Dreams are something everyone sees but can these dreams turn into real life...
80.7K 4.4K 63
Part Two to The Mallapers Series Leyla is considered a traitor to the Royal Family. She had betrayed the most sacred law of the land and interfered w...
32.6K 677 45
{Book Three} *SPOILERS PRIOR TO SEASON 12* Four years after Melanie and Spencer got their happily-ever-after, ghosts of Melanie's past come back to h...