Everything has changed

By minx_56

About 8 years after graduating from Night Raven College, Jamil comes back home to Silk City after a long jour... More

Chapter 1: As if the streetlights pointed in an arrowhead leading us home
Chapter 3: In a getaway car
Chapter 4: My love is as cruel as the city I've lived in
Chapter 5: Devils roll the dice Angels roll their eyes
Chapter 6: I can see us lost in the memory
Chapter 7: Call it what you want to
Chapter 8: when you smile, you knock me out I fall apart
Chapter 9: the playful conversation starts
Chapter 10: Sparks Fly
Chapter 11: Reflections of the life I've lived
Chapter 12: Mastermind/s
Chapter 13: I only see Daylight
Chapter 14: A Cruel Summer
Extra: It's nice to have a friend

Chapter 2: it could've been fun if you could've been the 1

319 8 0
By minx_56

The Viper Family chose to leave their servant life behind and they put up a little shop. They sold street food and quickly became popular for locals and tourists alike. The business grew and they were able to make it big. Now that the Viper Family's self-proclaimed best cook is back, business is booming better than ever.

Since they weren't able to foresee their success, they're a bit understaffed. So, Jamil finds himself here in Camel Bazaar buying ingredients. They had sold out right away only a few hours after they opened up. So here he is running errands for his parents.

"Ugh! Najma should be the one doing this!" Jamil cursed.

Jamil examined the list he had been given once again. He checked out the stuff he already got and he went to get the ones he was missing. He bumped into some old acquaintances, said hi, chatted for some time and left. He'd get an earful from his mother if he was late. So, he quickly got what he needed and left.

Is what he would like to do if he didn't bump into this crying lost child.

"Uh...kid you alright?" Jamil awkwardly asked.

The kid took one look at him and.

The kid started to cry harder...

"Hey- hey I'm not a bad guy!" Jamil tried to console the crying child. It was evident this child was not used to the crowd of Camel Bazaar. This child is cowering in fear, he's unfamiliar with this place. Jamil exhaled he needs to assess this situation carefully as a sensitive child is involved.

Jamil kneeled down so he didn't appear big in front of the child. "Hey... Look here, I'm not a bad guy... I won't hurt you." He patted his head gently.

He took a closer look at the child, he had short dark brown hair and red ruby eyes, and rich dark skin a few tones darker than him. He was also wearing a hood. "Why would a kid need a hood in this hot weather?"

Red eyes huh....

The child slowly calmed down; Jamil offered his handkerchief so that he could wipe the tears of the kid. The child was still sniffing a bit but nevertheless communication with him should be easier.

"Hey...so how did you get lost?" He asks, making sure he doesn't scare him again.

"W-well I saw an interesting toy t-then!" Tears were starting to form in his eyes again. "WAAAAAAAHHHHH PAPA!!! WHERE'S MY PAPA?!?"

Oh no. He's in distress once again, Jamil decided he could offer something like a keychain he has with him to calm him down. But sadly, it's barely working, at this point Jamil's patience was running out. He was also running late from his mother's errand. He seriously just considered leaving him there but.... intuition told him to help the child.

Jamil releases a big exhale." Listen kid, if you wanna see your Papa again you gotta tell me your name."

The child gave him a look. It was honestly indescribable he couldn't really tell what the kid was thinking until. "Are you.... A kidnapper?!?!"

Great. Just great.

More headache for Jamil. He's seriously regretting going back home right now.

"No, I'm not a kidnapper- look kid just tell me your name and we'll find your papa then I'll never see you again." He was straightforward, he didn't need to lie to a kid.

"Can I really trust you...?"

What is with this kid? This kid's parents must have some real trust issues huh. Then again, he was also taught not to trust strangers so it's understandable.

"Yes." Jamil calmly said his expression flat and unmoving.

"You're not gonna kill me?"

"Kill?" Ok seriously something's wrong with this kid.

"No, I'm not, I don't even know you."

The child hesitated a bit and evidently told him his name.

"My name is Amir Al-Asim..." He said in a half whisper.

"Oh Asim, probably related to Kalim...."

Realisation is dawning on Jamil right at that moment. He suddenly remembers his conversation with Najma when he came back. His eyes suddenly widened.

"Oh right! His name is Amir Al-Asim, but that's all we know- well- the public knows I've seen him a few times."

"YOU'RE KALIM'S KID!"
_________________
Unknowingly, Kalim was panicking. He was talking with a couple of merchants when his son let go of his hand. He thought that letting Amir come with him outside with him could bring a change of scenery for his child. His child might have seen something interesting and ran off, but before Kalim could retrieve his son, he got separated with him in the crowd.

"Of course! The moment I let him go outside this happens!" Kalim was trying to keep a cool head but that became a challenge in every minute that passed by. Kalim already called his bodyguard and formed a search party. Just thinking about the possible horrible things that could happen to his son while he's not looking.

"He could be kidnapped- he could be killed! He could- "Kalim breathed out, he calmed himself down. Camel Bazaar was not a very big place so his son could not have gone far. He just needs to keep looking and keep a cool head.

He was breathing heavily when he reached a post. There he finally, finally! Saw his son being carried by a tall, short dark-haired figure. It's like he wasn't able to think. Even though there wasn't something malicious about the man, Kalim's emotions took over him and attacked the man.
He summoned his staff and directed it to the man's back. "Let my son go." His tone became menacing.
___________________
Jamil sensed a familiar magic being directed on to him. He wanted to laugh honestly; Kalim had been distressed to the point of mistaking him for a kidnapper. He'll play along for a bit, it would be funny to mess with Kalim for a bit.

"And what if I don't?" He slightly turned his head not revealing himself while his tone was slightly mischievous.

"Then I'll have to kill you." Pointing his staff to Jamil's head.

This Kalim was really menacing. If Jamil was being honest, it sent a bit of chill down his spine. Though he's still merciful as ever, he's giving a chance to the enemy to return his son and end it peacefully.

Though Jamil doesn't really wanna stop there. He does wanna tease Kalim a bit more." Aww what a loving father you are Kalim Al-Asim...but what if I just take him away from you?" Jamil days in a slightly mocking voice.

"THEN I'LL-" Kalim raises his staff.

"Seriously Kalim I just cut my hair and left for 6 years and you suddenly forgot I exist? Honestly I'm hurt." He fully turns and he smirks. The sheer disbelief in Kalim's face was priceless to Jamil. Though scaring him to think he'll lose his son was probably too much. But can you blame Jamil? To him it's just payback.

Kalim blinked a couple of times, even rubbed his eyes a couple of times. "JAMIL?!?"

"PAPA!!" Amir cheered, with Kalim's shock he almost forgot about his little one. He banished his staff and he picked his son from Jamil's arms. "Oh! great sevens! I was worried sick about you...don't let go of my hand when we're in public again ok?" Kalim sighed and booped his son's nose. Kalim turned and saw Jamil, he observed him and his figure that changed massively. Firstly, he was taller now, he did hear from Najma that he climbed mountains a lot so that's probably why he looks more refined and bigger. His voice....it was the same, it was low, calm, yet there was a hint of fierceness. He cut his hair short, no longer the braided hair he knew. "Gosh he's still so handsome."

On the other side, Jamil was doing the same. Kalim got significantly taller, his shoulder was now wider and he got himself a bit of muscle. He still had the same short white hair, though Najma was right. The bags under his eyes are undeniably noticeable, his voice was now deeper than before yet his easy-going tone was still there. Kalim looks and sounds more mature now. He also looks very very exhausted. Jamil knew that Kalim's energy was unmatched, Kalim could run laps and still make it for a party. Though that seemed to change now- as he heard, he doesn't do parties anymore. "He's changed a lot, though at the same time he's also the same."
Silence was between them for a moment. Neither didn't really know what to say.

"Hey so-" both said at the same time.

"Uh- what are you doing here?" Both, again, said at the same time.

"Okok, you go first." Kalim insisted.

"Oh ok- so uh...I just got back a few days ago. And now I'm doing an errand for my mom." Jamil then raised his bags full of ingredients.

"So how bout' you? I heard you don't go out often, especially with your son."

"Ah...yeah...I just don't want him to get hurt, but I was meeting some business partners here. A bit shabby I know, but they like to lay low...." Kalim says. Jamil only nodded in response.

Ok this was more awkwardly than Jamil had thought. Silence engulfed them again.

"Well, this is awkward..." both thought.
Amir then spoke up. "Papa, do you know him?" His eyes shining, lips smiling.

"O-oh! Yeah! Ahem! Amir this is uh... Uncle Jamil! I've known him since I was a kid, he's been gone for a bit, but he's back-" Kalim noticed Amir fidgeting with his hood.

"Ah! Amir, we talked about this..."

"But it's soooo hoooot Papa!" Amir complained.

"Now now, I told you we can't let your-"

" -Face be shown to the public until I'm older I know......" the child pouted. Amir was never a hard child to take care of. He never threw a tantrum, but it was obvious if he was sad or wanted something.

"Honey I'm doing this for your own safety ok?" Kalim then kissed his son's forehead.
Jamil watched them and smiled softly. Kalim always loved children; his father limited his interaction with his siblings when they turned a certain age. So, watching him freely and lovingly worry for his son was endearing to Jamil.

"Ok, should we go home now little prince?" Kalim asked his son.

"Ok...."

Jamil noticed that Amir was dejected. He assessed that he probably doesn't go out much, he suggests, "Hey Kalim.... Why don't you stop by the shop for a bit?"

Kalim then stopped in his tracks. "Can we??"

Jamil can see Kalim's eyes sparkle right at that moment. "Of course, and...do you...wanna catch up??" Jamil says still feeling awkward about this. He never really invited Kalim in his place before so this'll be the first time. And bringing Kalim would mean his mother wouldn't scold him.

Kalim looked at his son. "What about it, Amir? Do you want to go to Uncle Jamil's shop?"

"YES! YES! CAN WE?! CAN WE?!" Amir cheered. From a mile away you can sense the happiness of the boy.

"Ok we can go." Kalim then smiled.
Like father like son, it's like they were cut from the same cloth. Both have the same smile and cheerful air around them. Jamil nodded and led them the way, Kalim was oddly quiet. Jamil thought that Kalim would ask question by question about the places he saw. Then again, he looks like he was preoccupied with his son.
______________________
"Jamil! What took you- "Jamil's mother then suddenly dropped the empty tray she was holding.

"So long......" The woman continued.

"Long time no see Mrs. Viper!" Kalim greeted.

The Vipers have been shocked by the sudden appearance of Sultan himself in front of them. Jamil's mother quickly arranged a seat for them. Jamil thought his mother's fretting was unneeded. Kalim is not one to be picky about places, as long as he was welcome, he would gladly comply, though his criticisms could be a bit less harsh.

Soon enough food was served and the three very much enjoyed their meal as they chatted.

"Sorry about that." Jamil apologized.

"It's alright I don't mind." Kalim smiled and finally took off Amir's hood.

"Say...what have you been up to these days? I've heard so barely even go out, you didn't become a shut-in have you?" Jamil joked.

Kalim giggled. "No, I do go out, it's just that I don't let anyone into my private life much."

"Ah yeah, I guess people can be intrusive sometimes."

"Ok, it seems like you already heard stuff about me so let's talk about you, what's been going on with you?" Kalim asked. He was really curious, Jamil never contacted him again after he left. Part of him was a bit hurt, but he knew Jamil was achieving great things out there. He never contacted him too because adult life caught up to him, he was too busy and sometimes too tired to even remember him, as guilty as that made him feel. He was busy running Silk City, solving political issues, running the business, international trades, and raising his son Amir. Life hit Kalim like a truck, and all at the same time.

"Nothing much, I've been basically living like a nomad for the past 6 years- Oh and I recently met up with Azul and honestly I still don't like him after all these years." Jamil says as he rolls his eyes.

"Speaking of Azul, he also came to me just recently-"

"Ow! Hot...." Amir seemed to have burned himself eating a hot, newly served, Shawarma.

"Ah! Be careful here, I'll help you." Kalim then summoned a small wind to cool off the shawarma. "There."

"Thank you Papa!" The child then took a bit out of his food and solemnly enjoyed it.
_______________
The two chatted for a long time. Talking about Jamil's travels, the mountains he saw, the beaches he's been to, the people he met. While Kalim talked about his recent life, nothing much has changed but he does have much more responsibilities now. Kalim suddenly mentioned cooking for his son.

"No way...." Jamil said, hinting a bit of disbelief in his tone.

"Yes way! I thought that if I learned my son wouldn't have the same worries I had- though I'm not as good as you, I can do it now!" Kalim proudly announced.

"You didn't explode your kitchen did you?"

"No! I didn't use magic this time..."

Jamil laughed. This was so like Kalim, to dedicate something for someone he cares about. Jamil always found it endearing, and he missed, during his time away. But it was undeniable that the boy he knew was now a man. Little did he know a spark of hope in his heart was lit.

"He's married, Jamil..keep that in mind" he reminded himself.

"Hey so- let me just ask."

"Yeah sure!" Kalim responds.

"Where's your wife?"

Ah

That.....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 119 50
Kekoa Makani is a third-year at Night Raven College. His cousin Allison was supposed to go to Drissarths Academy for Witches, but things took an unex...
13.4K 182 31
โ€œMaking friends is hard, falling in love is harder but falling in love with two wrong persons is astonishing easy. Still I would have preferred my li...
3.2K 88 16
You were in your room, just relaxing until your mirror starts to glow. All of a sudden, you wake up to find yourself in a completely unfamiliar plac...
4K 70 19
This is my first ever one shot and first time writing fanfics, i would like to get some requests and ideas for ships, platonic relationships, whateve...