mind over mask

By storiesbylizy

Marinette Dupain-Cheng is Ladybug. It's been three years since she because the superheroine of Paris, and alm... More

part i
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
part ii
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
sixty
sixty-one
sixty-two
sixty-three
sixty-four

twenty-two

6K 251 35
By storiesbylizy

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

Damian's POV

One of the first things my mother taught me was to be aware at every moment, and to never be caught off guard.

Even though I don't agree with my mother on most subjects, what she has taught me has saved me time and time again.

But Marinette made me forget my past, she made me feel like I was a better person than I was. Her bright blue eyes enchanted me, and her hair fell in delicate waves. She was mesmerizing to watch, and—

"Damian! Can you tell me the answer to the problem on the board? Or are you to distracted watching Marinette?" Mrs. Bustier asked me.

Mortified, but my face as still as stone, I turned to the board. Marinette, however, turned the shade of Ladybug's red suit. I still can't believe they were the same person, but it made working with Ladybug harder because she was a complete stranger.

Marinette would make a good super hero, no matter how clumsy she was, she had the same heart that Grayson did. A hero's heart.

I took a glance at the board, and answer, "It's the square root of 128. Simplified, it's 8 square root 2."

Mrs. Bustier looks shocked that I answered it so quickly. She looks back to the board, double checking the question. "You're right," she says shocked, but she shakes it away. In a more stern voice, she chastises, "But next time, please pay attention."

I roll my eyes and ignore her, because I know I'm smarter than her. If anything, I'm losing brain cells just by sitting here.

"She's right, you know." Marinette whispers to me.

"Why, angel?" I ask her, and watches as she goes impossibly red.

"You shouldn't be staring at me. At least pretend to pay attention, or she'll be forced to move you."

"Tt. You're right. I'll try to refrain, for the chance she might make me sit next to the liar."

"No other reason?" Marinette teases.

"You'll have to remind me after class," I quip back.

Bourgeois looks back at me and Marinette for a moment, smirking at Agreste. They've caught onto us, it's obvious by their body language, but luckily they haven't bothered Marinette and I about it.

She had been trying to get the four of us to hang out, but as both Agreste and Bourgeois both attended similar events as I did in our early teens, I had avoided contact in fear of my identity being exposed.

It would be international news if Bruce Wayne's son had been discovered in Paris. Especially at the same time as Robin.

The girl with glasses, I hadn't bothered to learned her name, even if she was Marinette's ex-best friend, nudged the liar loudly, "Look!"

She pulls out her phone, and our akuma alert sounds off. The sky turns dark, and the wind howls against the window.

The classroom bursts into cacophony, and we all flee towards the safety shelters, before it's too late. I can't find Marinette, I've lost her in the crowd. Adrien and Chloe are out of sight, which means they  must've taken her to safety.

Or that they're a trio of heroes.

Even though Marinette had revealed she was Multimouse, I still sensed some hesitation about a big secret.

I wasn't going to put my Ladybug theory to rest yet.

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

Marinette's POV

Chloe and Adrien had dragged me away from Damian, not even giving me time to get him to safety.

"No let me go help him!" I yelled at Adrien, who was holding my arm back a little too harshly.

"Mari, the faster we dealt with the situation, the safer he, and Paris is," Chloe argued, helping Adrien drag me away.

"Fine," I say, listening to her reason.

We transform, instantly running head on into danger. The sky is dark and rumbling, and I know we're dealing with Stormy Weather.

"I hate to say it Ladybug, but we might need help." Princess Honey says, eyeing the city and the sky.

"You're right," I analyze that we need another miraculous... and then I get an idea. This is also the perfect opportunity to make sure Damian doesn't figure out that I'm Marinette. "One second, I'll be back!"

I swing back to my room, and grab the Fox Miraculous. "Trixx, let's pounce."

My suit is decorated with swirls of orange and red, over black reinforced latex. I imagine my mask looks the same, but I don't have time to admire it. I play the magical flute, and my suit returns to normal. I secure the flute my back, and then head towards the eye of the storm.

I find Princess Honey and Chat Noir hiding on a rooftop, watching as Stormy Weather gives her evil speech. I crouch down and join them,

Stormy Weather hovers in the air, pointing her umbrella at Paris. "—come out Ladybug and Chat Noir! I don't have all day for this! Just give up!"

"Never," I muttered under my breath.

"Where's backup?" Princess Honey nudged me. I tapped the flute, and her eyes widen in understanding.

My mind pieces together what we have to do next, "Corral her to the Eiffel Tower, I have a plan."

"Where are you going?" Chat asks me.

Princess Honey smirks, "She's trying to get lover boy some proof that she's not Ladybug."

"But she is—OHH," Chat Noir realizes.

"Yep," Princess Honey finishes for him. "Go Ladybug, we'll lure Stormy Weather there in 5."

"Thank you," I say, and swing away.

Stormy Weather turns the skies darker, and it become cold. My breath mists into the air, and I see that she's throwing ice chunks at Princess Honey and Chat Noir, both of which are taunting the villain.

I run over the rooftops, careful not to slip on the frost that's slowly forming on top. I head over to Francois-Dupont High School, where there's a large crowd forming where one of the shelters are.

I leap down into the streets, and see people can't get in because ice has frozen over the doors.

"Everybody move back!" I yell and they listen.

I throw my yo-yo at the door, and I break through the ice. People thank me as they flee into safety. I watch as my classmates eventually enter into the shelter, gratifying their hero.

If only they knew who I truly was.

Damian isn't there.

Panicking, I leap onto the rooftops, trying to look down on the streets of Paris.

I spot Damian, because he's taller than most people, so he hovers over the crowds. He's stopping people and looking for something. Someone.

This is my chance.

I play the flute, and an image of me appears within Damian's eyesight. He calls out to me, well not me, but fake illusion me. I run away from the akuma, towards the safety shelter. Damian runs, as fast as he can, and he's catching up. If he touches the illusion, he'll know.

He'll know.

I force the illusion to run harder, ignoring Damian's calls, until eventually she loses him down an alley near the bakery.

Damian stands in the middle of a street, looking all around for "Marinette," trying to see where she went.

He pushes people to the side, trying to see over everyone to find me, even though I'm a head shorter than the average person.

Damian loses Marinette, assuming that she went home instead of the safety zones, and I know that my plan has worked.

I just wish I didn't have to trick or lie to him.

My yo-yo beeps, and I know that they've almost reached the Eiffel Tower.

I leap into the air, flinging myself with my yo-yo, trying to get there as fast as possible.

I call Princess Honey, and she answers, "A little busy, Ladybug."

"Make her land on the Eiffel Tower, and then disappear. Tell Chat to do the same." I instruct her.

"Aye, aye Cap'n." She jokes and ends the call.

I reach the Eiffel Tower, but Stormy Weather doesn't  even notice my entrance. She's too busy trying to freeze Chat or Princess Honey.

Chloe spots me, and she nods at Adrien. Adrien hits Stormy Weather with his baton, and flings her back into the Eiffel Tower. Before she has time to get up, the heroes disappear.

The akumatized villain peers over the city, flying to rest on top of the Eiffel Tower. "The heroes of Paris are cowards then?" She asks. Her rage grows, and the wind howls around us, and lightning crackles throughout her clouds.

Perfect. All is going according to plan.

I quietly play the flute, and three illusions appear—Ladybug, Chat Noir, and Princess Honey.

The illusions try to face Stormy Weather head on, and she immediately points her umbrella at them, trapping them in ice.

The illusions fall to the ground one by one, frozen in their previous position.

"I did it. I finally did it," Stormy Weather celebrates. The wind dies, and the lightning starts to falter.

She contacts her master, "Hawkmoth, I did it. They're frozen in ice—You want me to put the masks on them? What will that do?" She asks.

Stormy Weather suddenly falls to her knees in pain, the outline of her mask glowing purple. "Okay, okay, I get it."

Stormy Weather pulls three masks out of nowhere, ones that remind me of the Black Mask.

"Now!" I yell, and the illusions 'frozen' in ice disappear, leaving random blocks of ice.

"NO!" Stormy Weather screams, and lightning flashes around us, hitting the ground. But it also hits the Eiffel Tower where she hangs, and she electrocuted herself.

The akumas can control magic, but they can't stop the rules of nature.

Stormy Weather is knocked out, and she freefalls. Chat catches her out of the air, and throws Princess Honey the umbrella. She break it over her knee, and the akuma flutters out.

"No more evil doings for you little akuma!" I yell, as I capture the creature out my yo-yo. I purify it, and wave, "Bye bye little butterfly."

Not even needing a Lucky Charm, I yell, "Miraculous Ladybug!"

The sky returns to normal, ice melts away, and the destruction is undone.

Chat Noir puts down Aurore Beaureal on the ground. He asks her, "What were the masks for?"

"I don't—I don't remember. I'm so sorry Ladybug," she sobs, sitting on the ground.

I walk over to her, and hug her. "It's okay. Everything will be fine."

Princess Honey is looking for the masks, but they've disappeared like the ice. She shrugs in defeat.

Aurore calms down, and we take her home, safe and sound.

Chat Noir and Princess Honey walk over to me on the rooftops, and we do our "Pound it."

"So did it work out with him?" Chloe emphasizes.

I sigh, "Yeah. It did."

"I'm confused, I thought that was a good thing." Chat asks.

Princess Honey elbows him for his ignorance. "It is a good thing to protect our identities. It's bad because Mari hates lying."

"It's all Lila does." I answer back.

"Hey, Lila does it to be manipulative. You do it to protect Paris. It's just a little white lie," Princess Honey argues.

"I wear my heart on my sleeve around him, he's going to figure it out." I slightly panic.

Chat about shakes his head, "The Miraculous Magic will help. Do you remember when Tikki sensed someone was searching you up in the US over the summer, and the magic swiped your file clean?"

"Well yeah—"

Princess Honey hugs to silence me, "Ladybug, you'll be okay."

Chat about joins the hug, and I know that for this moment, everything was going to be okay.

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 59 27
Marinette has been missing for a week and no one knows where she could have gone. Ladybug went on a mission and she's left Chat Noir in charge while...
3.3K 94 20
Marinette had been just waiting for the moment when Lila struck again. But she didn't expect to lose so much at once when she is accused first of che...
161K 3.1K 20
Ladybug and Chat Noir captures Hawkmoth and brings him to the police, in the process they find out his identity. Something in Chat Noir breaks and he...
131K 2.9K 12
Just another Daminette... Alright so most Daminette happens when Marinette wins a class field trip to Gotham so to switch it up Damian is an exchange...