Waterford

By EmRiver

A tale of love and changing the odds, of love beyond what is normal, both stories connected by family and set... More

Chapter#2
Chapter#3

Chapter#1

36 1 0
By EmRiver

Chapter#1

                        The moment I was able to run, I ran away.

            I was perhaps ten years old at that time, old enough to have my personality mostly figured out and young enough to not be recognized as a girl.

            You may wonder upon why I wanted to not be recognized, and the answer was simple- I was running away.

            It wasn't like I didn't have a nice life, no. I lived in a large estate in the English countryside by the name of Springhedge, in a nice neighborhood of pleasant and equally rich people. But I didn't like people, never did I like them, and I kept myself in the nursery away from everyone else. My parents were kind, they bought me many things, but I could not love Mrs. and Mr. Garnet, they were not my parents to me.

            I never understood why I despised them so, I just did. I never called them Mother or Father, but Mrs. Garnet and Mr. Garnet. I refused to do as they asked, though somehow without being overly rude, I just politely declined and left their company as often as I could. My only friend was Bertha, and she was my nursemaid, my handmaiden, my mentor. I desired no other company then her own, because she understood my nature and was silent when I needed silence, she spoke when I needed to hear a voice, and she seemed to know what it was I needed to hear.

            On the subject of my parents, who bought me anything I desired, this being their flaw (among the many others): When I asked for a servant boys costume to occupy and amuse my childish mind, they did supply it without a question. I hid this garb from Bertha because she would have realized my intent and put an end to it before it could have started.

            Perhaps my childish nature, or my seeking for adventure, or my wish to find something more than my simple home of Springhedge sent me on my path, now that I look back to then I don't quite know the exact reason. But this was what made me who I am, it shaped my future, and I would not undo it for all the gold in the world.

            I rose earlier than my normal wake up time, earlier than when the servants were supposed to wake, before the sun had shown in the sky. I took out the clothes from their hiding place under my mattress in my crib, and I donned them. Glancing quickly in the mirror, I saw that while my body resembled a boy in those foreign clothes, my hair was a give away, and so I took my hair and pinned it up on top of my head in a messy bun and then put a hat with a low brim over this. Pleased at my appearance, I stole quietly away.

            I made my way to the gardens and then to the gates of Springhedge and onto the road, and then setting my feet upon their path I began to walk.

            Now I had said that I did not like the company of others, but that did not mean I didn't like the outdoors. In fact, I had wandered outside as much as Bertha had possibly allowed, and I knew in general where I was going. Where was I going, you may ask? Nowhere.

            The road I was on went for miles and miles, and never to my knowledge reached a town. I did not care for if I should never step indoors again, my goal was just to go as far as I possibly could and not turn back.

            I stumbled often in the dark, but soon the sun rose and I could see far and wide. In all directions, nothing but green hills and sparse trees. Oh how I loved the countryside, it was so much easier to run away there, because you could enjoy yourself in your peace and loneliness- one with Mother Nature.

            Those thoughts, at the time, did not cross my mind- No I was wondering upon whether anyone had noticed me missing and whether a search party was to be set out yet. There was no fun in running away unless someone tried to catch you, that had been, in a way, my life's theory. No point in doing anything reckless unless someone were to try and stop you from doing it. Not perhaps the brightest words to live by, but not everyone in the world is going to be bright, now are they?

            I became tired early on, I was a short and thin child, not sickly though- I fancied myself tough enough to care for myself even though I was starving and in need of a drink. It was in my delirious state that I tripped and fell into a mud puddle in the road (it had been raining at some point last night).

            Now covered in dirt and more messed up than I needed to be, I wished only to curl up into a ball and give up. After all, children never really stick to what they want to do. I got to my feet and removed my soaked shoes, opting to go barefoot instead. Soon my feet were covered in blisters and more mud than my shoes had been, and I was in distress for my appearance must have been ghastly.

            I tried to make myself feel better by thinking I was totally unrecognizable as Miss Emily Garnet from this point on, and this somehow calmed me.

            But far too soon for my liking, I heard hooves rapidly coming from the distance on that road and I knew my fun would come to an end if this person was sent from Springhedge, and I hastily scrambled off down the road, running like a mad man. I saw through a generous amount of trees, in the distance, not too far from the main road- another house. Yes, I knew there were plenty manors all about the area, and decided I should hide near this one.

            I was about to gather my skirts and make a bolt for the manor when I realized I didn't have any skirts, and gratefully sprinted across the fields to the gardens of whomever's manor this happened to be. My feet welcomed the soft grass, and I laughed for the first time, I had won the first part of this battle.

            From far away I could discern the rider of the horse, a stable boy from Springhedge named Jim. I waited till he was out of sight before looking at my new surroundings.

            The garden here was small and seemed uncared for. This led me to believe that there was little female presence in the place, because females are the ones who usually uphold the beauty of nature in quaint things such as gardens. I felt offended at the state of this dying, neglected garden, because I rather liked the gardens of Springhedge.

            Shaking my head, I told myself to forget the things I liked about Springhedge, because that would just send me back there, and for the moment I was content with exploring this strange new place.

            It was then that I felt I was watched. Turning around fast, I saw a young yet tall boy standing a few feet away. He seemed wiser than a child of eleven ought to be, indeed, he looked much older because of his height and well-built frame. Something about his facial expression seemed to say that he saw himself as a human in a world of goldfish, that every other person bored him. But I seemed to intrigue him.

            Of course, I was a little girl dressed as a boy with no shoes and covered in mud... I'm sure anyone would be interested by this.

            "Who are you?" he asked in a quiet but confident voice, for he knew this place was his own and not mine.

            I ventured to respond, but before I could I had fainted from the heat and my dehydration.

            When I finally woke, I found myself laid on a couch in a strange parlor room I had never seen before. I felt tired and faint still, turning my head slowly, I saw before me Mr. Garnet, a mysterious man I did not know and the boy from the garden.

            I kept my eyes half shut, trying to stay as still as possible as I listened to the conversation of Mr. Garnet and the other man.

            "I apologize again, Mr. Caldwell, for intruding upon your home," that was Mr. Garnet who spoke, "It must have been so inconvenient for you to have to take her on like this."

            "It is no inconvenience, children shall be children, after all," laughed the man whose name was Mr. Caldwell.

            "I cannot comprehend why she would run away from us, we are in no way bad people, but she has gotten it into her head that we are. I have no clue what to do with her, my younger sister never acted so when she was Emily's age."

            "She will need some tough training, a governess, perhaps? I could recommend some ladies for you, if it would be of any help."

            I turned my gaze to the boy at the door, who had his eyes fixed intently upon me. This surprised me, and I almost shrieked in fear, but stayed silent and still, my breath picking up only slightly. The two elder men did not notice, because they were of the ignorant kind who felt nothing than what they expected to feel.

            Before the boy could speak up and perhaps warn his father (as I assumed Mr. Caldwell was, seeing as the boy was dressed rather finely), he was called to attention by Mr. Garnet.

            "Your son is turning out to be a fine young gentleman himself, he must have been expertly raised if I dare to say so."

            The boy rolled his eyes, an action only I observed, and I thought at that moment he was just as rude (if not more so) than me.

            "Yes, Victor is from a long line of well raised gentlemen. He is currently attending the Waterford School for Boys, and it is a fine estate indeed."

            "I have not before heard of Waterford," Mr. Garnet said simply, "But I am sure any school you would choose is a fine establishment indeed."

            "In fact, there is an adjoining school, the Waterford School for Girls."

            "A school for girls? Aren't there only schools for poor girls, learning to be governesses?"

            "Oh yes, but this school focuses on the arts and training young girls to become young ladies. It is as worthy a school as the one my boy is attending. Perhaps you should send your girl there, to fix her of her current state."

            "I do not know if I could afford for such a thing, but I shall bring it up to Mrs. Garnet quite soon, and we shall discuss it with your good word in mind."

            At this point, the boy, Victor, turned his attention back to me and this time was slightly surprised to find my gaze already trained upon him. He stared a little longer, than with some strange impulse, sent a small bow in my direction and exited the room before being told to do otherwise.

            I was indeed confused at his manner of conduct, for no one had ever bowed to me before, not even when I was trying my best to be likeable. Perhaps he was just a strange boy, and I decided not to fret on the subject for too long.

            "Ah, the adventurer awakens," Mr. Caldwell said, finally noticing me.

            "I shall take her back to Springhedge now that she is awake," Mr. Garnet said, "I shall go fetch Jim and have him come carry our little runaway to the carriage."

            I made no move to speak, I only kept my eyes trained hatefully on Mr. Garnet, but he had long ago learned to ignore these glances.

            "Goodbye, Miss Garnet," Mr. Caldwell said, turning away from me as Jim carried me out of the room.

            I cannot express how earnestly Mr. Garnet scolded me in the carriage ride back to Springhedge (I ignored him).

            When we returned to Springhedge, I was sent directly to Bertha who bathed me and brought me back to my crib. I slept soundly and thought no more on the subject, but my parents did.

            Bertha waited on me so tenderly as I recovered from my excursion, and soon I was better enough to ask her of what had happened.

            "When I woke and found you had fled, I frantically informed Mr. Garnet and he sent Jim out to look. Soon we received a letter from Mr. Caldwell saying that his boy found our girl dehydrated and starved, covered in mud and passed out in their garden. Mr. Garnet went for you and now you are home again, and all I can ask is whatever was going through your head?"

            "I thought it would be fun," I shrugged.

            "Fun!" Bertha gasped, "You worried us all to death, could have killed yourself, and you call that fun? You little Devil, you planned out this whole thing, you think yourself clever, don't you? There is nothing to be done about your horrible character but wait and hope and pray for it to change!"

            "There is nothing wrong with my character," I responded, "It is rather all your characters that are the disagreeable ones. I would not have run if I did not have a reason besides it being fun!"

            "You wicked thing! There was a time I would feel bad about your punishment, but I assure you I feel nothing now."

            Interested, I pleaded for her to tell me more and let me know my punishment that I had not yet known I'd had.

            "Not knowing what to do with you," Bertha said simply, "Mr. Garnet has decided to keep you locked in the nursery till you grow old enough to please him, and you will never know their company anymore. They've as good as disowned you, child!"

            I was shocked, I'd admit. I did not suspect their condemning me to this dreadful room, did not expect to be cast aside, no. Reading my face, Bertha continued.

            "I see you thought we'd love and cherish you more so after your little stunt, but I assure you there was no better way to seal your fate."

            "But how shall I grow if I have to stay here all my child-life? I shant learn a single thing I tell you, it is foolish!"

            "You should have thought of that before you ran away, child."

            "But what can they hope to accomplish by this?" I was at that moment quite distressed.

            "Perhaps solitude shall grow you into a fine, polite, quiet young woman," Bertha answered calmly, "And perhaps if this should happen, they will consent to letting you out and about. They think you crazy, child. Mad. And I agree!"

            "Then I swear this- I shall never grow into a lady, to curse them, those fiends!"

            "Do not speak in such a way of your parents!" she hit me for this, and I smartly climbed back into my crib to sulk. But oh, I did plan on doing everything I could to avoid being a lady. Though in the end it didn't turn out all as I planned...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

981K 30.4K 61
Dans un monde où le chaos et la violence étaient maitre, ne laissant place à ne serrait ce qu'un soupçon d'humanité. Plume était l'exception. Elle...
1.2M 35.3K 61
Silent, unforgiving and strikingly gorgeous, Rylan Parker is a cold-hearted businessman. An intimidating CEO, perfectly fitted in tailored suits and...
264K 18.3K 56
ABHIMANYU RATHORE :- Rude , workaholic CEO of Rathore Empire .Devilesing hot , every girls drools over him .But loves his family to dearest . . SAKS...
5.2M 464K 96
✫ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐆𝐞𝐧'𝐬 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐚 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎ She is shy He is outspoken She is clumsy He is graceful...