ENIGMA

By LanaG7891

Annalise Carter's parents died when she was young making her the ward of the state until she was eighteen. Ev... More

Prologue
Eight Months Before
TROUBLE
Dance With Me
Surprise Ride
Riding In Cars With Boys
Fishy
Bump In The Road
Daddy?
Clarification

The First Date

15 3 5
By LanaG7891

The hostess seemed sweet enough. She gave us a polite smile and greeted us as we entered. Brandon gave his name, and she didn't even look down at her list. She simply nodded her head and grabbed a few menus and asked us to follow her to our table.

The inside of the building was just as intimidating as the outside. Beautiful black table clothes lined each table without a single wrinkle. The walls were a gorgeous shimmering silver that reflected the low lights. The chairs seemed to be lined with a soft purple velvet and the silverware looked like real silver. I did not belong in a place like this.

When we reached our table Brandon pulled my chair out so I could sit and helped me scoot in. He took his seat across from me and immediately moved the candle that was in between us off to the side. I raised a brow at him.

"I don't want anything blocking my view," he said with a smirk.

I felt my cheeks heat up and I ducked behind my menu. Looking at it was a mistake I barely understood half of what was on this thing. What the hell was Foie Gras? And where were the prices. I jumped about ten feet in the air when the waitress made her presence known.

"Welcome to Studio Fifty-Four I'm Kristen I'll be taking care of you tonight. May I interest you in a glass of our 97 Chateau Latour Premier Grand Cru?"

I watched as she eyed Brandon up and down while she awaited his answer. Great, just what I needed a horney waitress who's going to butter up my date and ignore me. I've read to many books to not know this could go down three ways.

One, Brandon will ignore her making her pissed and she'll get nasty with me when I go to the restroom then she'll spit in my food.

Two, Brandon will ignore her, and she'll make a snarky comment towards me pissing him off, and it will cost her her job.

Three, Brandon flirts back and when she leaves, he'll act like he didn't do anything wrong.

"No, thank you," he responded, "I'll have a top shelf whiskey on the rocks." He looks up at me with a smile, "What do you want to drink, baby?"

My eyes widened lord I was not ready for that question. Do I order wine? I know nothing about wine, shit! If I order a hurricane is that too uncultured? Would the bartender even know what that was.

"She'll have a sex on the beach," he told Kristen. "Also, please send your manager my way."

Kristen nodded and walked away.

"How did you know that's my drink of choice?" I asked, "I could have wanted a hurricane."

"Do you want a hurricane?"

I put my menu back up to look it over, "no."

His deep chuckle made my cheeks warm again. This man was full of surprises. One of them being more information about me then I knew about him. Loretta and I were going to have a serious talk later about my private life being PRIVATE... again.

"Mr. Willcox," A man in a tailored suit said as he approached our table. "My name is Barney Rodium, I'm the manager here. Kristen said you asked to speak to me."

"Is John working tonight?" Brandon asked.

"He is."

"Wonderful," Brandon smiled, "My mother and I were very fond of his service the last time we were here. I'd like to ask to switch to him as our server."

"But sir," he began but stopped short when Brandon's face turned serious. "Of course, I'll send him right over."

He rushed away from the table, and I gave Brandon a confused look, "Why did you do that?"

"Three reasons," Brandon said as he picked up his menu. "A, I really do like John's service. My mother and I have brunch here once a month and he's her go to server. B, I have no interest in turning down that woman's advances all night. And finally," He put him menu down and looked me right in the eye, "I saw your face when she was checking me out. You looked like you felt inferior to her, and I didn't like it. You're beautiful, Annalise. I'll do everything in my power to make you see that. You are worthy and deserving of everything this world has to offer."

I was stunned. No one had ever done anything like that for me. I gave him a grateful smile and looked back at the menu. I was too overwhelmed to really say anything. I worried my bottom lip with my teeth as I looked it over again. Brandon sighed across from me and I looked up to see him already looking at me.

"You hate this place, don't you?"

"No," I insisted, "I just don't understand the menu."

He shook his head and stood up. Brandon reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet. He dropped a fifty on the table, took my hand, and pulled me from my seat.

"Brandon, it's fine really," I tried again. "Besides we've already ordered drinks and changed servers."

"Josh will understand," he said as we made our way towards the exit.

The cheery hostesses smile faltered as we approached her, "Is everything okay Mr. Willcox?"

"Of course," he replied, "we just decided we wanted something different."

Brandon held the door open for me as we exited. The valet guy stood up to take our ticket, but Brandon waved him off, "We're going to walk a bit first."

"So, have you lived in Philadelphia your whole life?" I asked as we strolled along the sidewalk.

"Mostly," Brandon answered then he took my hand in his. "Our business took us to Chicago and Manhattan a lot. Still does if I'm being honest. But our home base is here. My mother and I used to travel with my father when business trips came up. Sometimes we went to places without him too. I've been all over the globe."

"Have you ever thought about taking your business global?"

He chuckled before he answered, "No. The red tape and competition in other countries is rough. I'm not saying we wouldn't do well. Just I don't like dealing with territorial ego maniacs."

"Real estate agents are ego maniacs?" I asked with a giggle.

"Eh," he shrugged his shoulders, "They can me. Some I've met think they're gods. Have you ever been out of Philadelphia?"

"No," I sighed, "I've dreamed of going to Paris one day. It's just a dream though."

We stopped in front of an establishment with a neon sign over the door that read, "The Eagles Nest," Brandon nodded his head towards the door, "Burgers and fries?"

"Please!"

In no time we were seated with drinks and our meals being placed down in front of us. My mouth salivated at the juicy burger on the plate. The sauce was dripping off of it and you can tell they were not stingy with the bacon.

"I'm going to warn you right now," I said as I picked up my burger. "This is not going to be very lady like."

Brandon chuckled as I dove in. Oh my God! The flavors exploded on my tongue, and I felt the juices dripping down my chin. I think this has got to be the best burger I've ever had. Why have I never been here before? Oh, right, because I never leave my damn apartment.

I looked up and saw Brandon staring at me with a dark look. "Wot?" I asked with a mouth full of food as I wiped my chin off.

"That had to have been the sexiest fucking thing I've seen in a long time," He answered.

"Yeah okay," I said with a snort.

"I'm being serious," He responded, "I'm not going to pretend that I've never been on a date before. We both have a past and that's okay. My past consists of woman pretending to not be hungry after they've eating three bites of a damn salad. But to see a woman actually eat and ENJOY it."

He bit his lip and let out a low growl that had me clenching my thighs together, "God baby. Can I keep you?"

I smiled and shook my head, "Slow down, Casper."

"Huh?"

I was shocked at his genuinely confused expression, "Casper. You know the friendly ghost."

"You lost me."

I sighed and explained, "The movie with Devon Sawa and Christina Ricci. Her angel mom turns the ghost, Casper, into a real boy until 8pm and he asks if he can keep her."

"I've never seen it," he confessed.

"It's a very cute movie. We should watch it sometimes."

"Does that mean I'm getting a second date?" he asked with a smirk.

I thought about it for a minute before I answered. It wasn't like I wasn't having a good time. He has made sure I've been comfortable and happy all night. Our conversations have been great and if I'm honest, I'd love to see him again.

"Yes," I answered. "There will defiantly be a second date."

Later when we pulled up to my complex, he insisted on walking me to my door again. I jiggled my keys nervously in my hands as we approached my door then turned to look at him.

"Thank you, for such a great night."

He smiled and reached to tuck a loose hair that had fallen into my face behind my ear, "It was my pleasure."

He was leaning forward, and I just knew he was going in for a kiss. I'd been anticipating this all night. Several times I'd caught myself staring at his lips wondering what the felt like. Just before our lips met his phone rang in his pocket. He sighed and pulled it out.

"I have to take this," he said as he looked at the screen then stepped away to answer.

"Of course," I mumbled but I doubt he heard me. OF COURSE, his damn phone goes off just when were about to kiss. Ugh! it's my luck. I watched his shoulders stiffen has his spine straightened.

"I'll be right there," he hissed into he phone then shoved it back into his pocket. He turned to look at me with an apologetic look, "I've gotta go."

"It's fine, I understand."

He stepped towards me and leaned in once again. I closed my eyes in anticipation, but the feeling of his lips never came. On my mouth that is... he pressed a kiss to my forehead and whispered goodnight.

Wait... that was it? A kiss on the head and a simple goodnight. What the actual fuck! I felt jilted as he walked away from me. I wasn't even sure I actually wanted that second date now. Who ends a date with a sweet kiss on the forehead. Okay it was sort of intimate. My thoughts were running a mile a minute as I unlocked my door.

"Anna."

I whipped around quickly as I heard Brandon call my name. I wasn't ready for him to be just inches away from me. He grabbed onto my jaw with both of his hands and pulled my lips to his.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30K 352 39
There was nothing normal about Annalise Phillips life. Her parents died mysteriously when she was 14, her Grandmother is also her boss is the directo...
290K 8.4K 57
WATTPAD FEATURED STORY It's the summer of 1976. Sarah has lived in the small lakeside town of Breezewood all her life, growing up with her two bes...
2.4K 34 25
When 18 year old Talia goes through some rough patches with her boyfriend Alex, but she seeks comfort from her best friend Michael he doesn't want to...
Stoic By ♡

Teen Fiction

2.6K 129 20
Linh hadn't always been a favorite for anything, not even her own dad wanted her. She maybe had two friends at the most. Determined to change things...