What's for Breakfast?

By chroniclesoftatiana

[COMPLETED] Samantha Sandoval has it all together - a thriving career as an interior designer, a cozy condo s... More

One: On My Bed
Two: Dream On
Three: Out of His League
Five: His Little Sister
Six: Good Friends
Seven: Treat Him Better
Eight: I Can't Make Him
Nine: Without a Man
Ten: What You Want
Eleven: His Lifestyle
Twelve: Strong Women
Thirteen: We Were a Team
Fourteen: Running Away
Fifteen: You're Here Now
Sixteen: I Want This
Seventeen: This Fantasy
Eighteen: I'll Come Running
Nineteen: Like Goodbye
Twenty: He's Everywhere
Twenty-One: A Thousand Blades
Twenty-Two: I Hate You
Twenty-Three: Too Much
Twenty-Four: All To Myself
Twenty-Five: Jealous?
Twenty-Six: If You Wanted Me
Twenty-Seven: His Game
Twenty-Eight: Running in Circles
Twenty-Nine: The Homewrecker
Thirty: The Glass Ceiling
Thirty-One: Up All Night
Thirty-Two: I Quit
Thirty-Three: What's for Breakfast?
Bonus Content: That Night
Bonus Content: Goliath

Four: Like a Guest

1.6K 80 134
By chroniclesoftatiana

Our parents separated when I was 13, and our father decided to live with another woman. His new partner, Sherry, wasn't the evil kind you see in the movies, but Patrick and I didn't feel comfortable staying under the same roof with them. So, we purchased the unit as soon as we were able to afford it. Mom, on the other hand, migrated to the USA. We talk to her from time to time.

They're both happy with where they are now, so we choose to be happy for them, too.

On the other hand, Derek's parents didn't separate. His Mom passed away after his university graduation, and his father remarried a few months later. His older brother, Marcus, was understanding, but as far as I could remember, Derek took it hard. To be fair, it was scandalous. His new stepmom was ten years his father's junior... And was his employee.

"Sam, he's my closest friend. There was no reason to not inform him about the unit for sale above ours when he was looking for a place to stay."

"But he's... He hasn't changed. He's the same, old Derek."

Except hotter.

"What did you expect?"

"I expected him to grow up! I want him to at least stop bringing random girls home!"

Patrick shakes his head in disbelief, scratching his stubble. "Sorry, Sam. I'll tell him not to do it again. Just please don't be mad, alright?" he pleads.

I take a sharp breath, my frustration waning. If it weren't for Patrick's unwavering love for Candice, I'd think he was in love with Derek himself. He always puts up with Derek's antics, unintentionally dragging me along.

"I know. It's the only reason why I tolerate him. How can the two of you be so different?" I mutter. "But alright. Fine. I'm doing this for you."

"Try to get along with him. Please?"

I tuck my hair behind my ear. "I'll try to peacefully coexist with him. I can't promise anything more than that."

Patrick presses a palm to his heart. "That's all I need. Just don't kick him out."

Hesitant, I nod. "Fine, Patrick. Just... Just tell him to stop acting like a kid. We can't be like before. I'm not the same Sam he knew six years ago."

******

After my conversation with Patrick, I spend the afternoon meeting with clients. I manage to secure a project with a sixty-year-old couple deeply in love, and I'll be heading to Tagaytay on Friday to visit their newly constructed vacation home.

Looking at my clients all lovey-dovey during the meeting sends butterflies to my stomach, making me hope for lasting love. Again. You see, other children who are witnesses to the separation of their parents refuse to believe in a happy ever after. It hit Patrick and me differently. If anything, it got me more determined to build a complete and happy family.

I drive straight home right after the meeting. When I arrive, the unit is dark and tranquil. My chest loosens. It feels a little odd that my first move is to check if Derek is there or not.

Why am I being uncomfortable in my own home? Treat him like a guest, Sam. Or treat him like a boarder. Patrick has mentioned that Derek's going to pay for his expenses anyway, so I guess that's the perfect way to go.

I eat dinner by myself and take a quick shower before completely seeking refuge inside my room. I lie on my stomach, turn my laptop on, then I download new episodes of The Big Bang Theory. A few minutes later, an episode is ready. My tummy, on the other hand, begins to churn. Damn, I just ate.

Right! It's almost that time of the month. Shit. This is probably the hardest decision I've had to make since I moved in.

I get up from bed, sneak into the kitchen, then I grab some cookies and water inside the fridge. I slam it shut and carefully tiptoe back to my room again.

I'm already in front of my bedroom when I hear the knob of the front door turning. My eyes widen as it makes a clicking sound. I'm uncertain of how fast it happens, but the next thing I know, I am already inside my room.

I exhale. Geez. This is crazy.

The next morning, I try to avoid Derek again. I saunter stealthily from my bedroom to the bathroom and back to my bedroom like a thief.

After that night, something has changed about the way I see Derek. Aside from the fact that it's like he's turned into a stranger to me, I've felt more conscious of myself.

And we aren't really kids anymore. I can't yell at him and pull his hair whenever I'm pissed at him. What happened on the first night when I attacked him was out of instinct. It can't happen again. We're grown-ups. We have to act our age.

But! The bigger problem is, even though it's only temporary, Derek being so good-looking isn't helping. His sex appeal is too much for me to withstand, and I get goosebumps whenever I think of it.

I shudder at the thought. Stop. Being. So. Bothered.

Unfortunately, he's already at the dining table when I walk out of my room. The dining area is close to the exit, so I'm left with no choice but to pass by Derek.

"Good morning," he greets, raising an eyebrow at me. He's already digging into his breakfast.

"Morning," I reply shyly, then I straighten my back. I quickly glance at the food on the table. He has prepared a set of utensils for me as well. Um, okay.

"Sit. Have breakfast," he says nonchalantly, gazing now at the newspaper before him. I'm not gonna deny it, he appears like a mature adult.

I hesitate at first, but I am famished, so I swallow my pride and sit next to him. I'm mindful not to make any physical contact since the table is a little small. I suddenly regret that we choose to be minimalists.

I carefully pour coffee into my cup then place hotdogs and toasted bread on my plate. I promised Patrick that I would try my best to peacefully coexist with him. This is me trying, and satiating my hunger with a decent breakfast. And I've always had cereal and milk; this is something I'll welcome in my life.

"So, how was your sleep last night?" he asks.

"Pretty good."

"I heard you laughing. What were you watching?"

"Just this series... About scientists," I mutter, taking a bite of the hotdog, dodging eye contact.

"I see. I think I know that series. I used to watch that on Jack TV." He smiles, cocking his head to one side. "Anyway, do you have any plans? Care to join me for dinner?"

I pretend I don't hear him. What is he saying all of a sudden?

"I'll pick you up."

Alright. That's it.

"I have a lot of projects right now, so I'm busy," I politely decline. I didn't make any promise to maintain good relations with him. Furthermore, I have no intention to develop any sort of friendship with him.

He looks up at me with a pout, then he grumbles, "Please, Sam. I haven't been able to eat at the best restaurants here. I was away for a long, long time. I need a city tour. Please?"

I glance at him. In a split second, I get a snapshot of what occurred last time. How close we were. How his stare gave me goosebumps. How my heart beat so loud right after. The uneasiness etches its way back to my heart.

Damn it. It aggravates me even more.

"Why don't you ask your friends? You were out last night with them."

"Well, they have this boring thing called a job."

"And I don't?" I ask, looking sideways, and I spot him staring at me. His gaze falls on my shoulders, my arms, my hands... The way he looks at me makes me want to crawl back under my sheets.

It is his usual stare! It shouldn't feel like this. Trying to beat the stiffness of my body, I clear my throat. "Why don't you get a job?"

"I will, I will," he mumbles. "But for now, let's go out. It's my treat. We haven't really talked."

"In case you forgot, Derek. We don't talk. We shout at each other."

He rakes his fingers through his hair, smiling. "But like you told Patrick, we're adults now. It should be different, right? I see that you have changed too, Sam... So, I'm sorry for the first few nights. I was inconsiderate, and I was out of line. I'm really sorry. Let me make it up to you."

I dug my own grave when I told Patrick about it. I squint my eyes at him to find any hint of insincerity.

"Please?"

His puppy eyes weaken my resolve.

Why is he so damn irresistible? I shudder again at that admission.

"I don't want to eat outside."

This time, he inches even closer. I swear it takes so much willpower to not look away. "Alright then. I'll order something, and we'll have dinner here. How does that sound?"

I heave a sigh of defeat. "You're not gonna stop, are you?"

And he winks at me, reveling in his victory.

******

Lost in a haze of distraction during the morning meeting, my thoughts are scattered, with Derek's image constantly intruding. It's abnormal, this relentless presence. Every detail of his lips, his expressions, and those piercing eyes lingers, leaving me flustered. No matter how hard I try to dismiss these unwelcome thoughts, they persistently resurface.

I've begrudgingly accepted his strong charisma years ago. I just can't understand why he's suddenly so... Appealing to me. More appealing than ever.

My heart sinks. Am I this lonely? Am I this desperate that somehow, my brother's best friend has turned prey to me?

I shoo the ideas away. I need to focus.

"So, any questions? Suggestions?" Nina, our team leader, prompts. We are talking about increasing sales and new marketing and advertising strategies.

"I have a suggestion," I say, raising my hand. I need to concentrate on things that make sense to me. Like my job.

"Yes, Sam?"

"I think we should start incorporating new trends that will suit millennials or generation Y. Right now, the younger generation is investing in real estate, and obviously, they will have different tastes compared to most clients that we have now--"

I have to pause because Clark, who's been working with us for less than a year and is the nephew of someone in the management, interrupts me like he normally does to all the ladies he works with. "Yes, the youth are active in buying and selling properties now. Most of them are interested in minimalist lifestyle—"

But I ain't backing off. "And they prefer smart homes. Most of them are now stay-at-home—"

"It's probably better if—"

"Can you let me finish? I'm not done talking," I snap at Clark, whose jaw drops.

Everyone is stunned, their eyes fixed on me. Cathy covers her mouth with her hands to mute her laughter. Clark's been doing it since he started, which is only a few months ago. It's time for someone to call him out.

Having made my suggestion, I'm determined to see it through. I won't allow him to steal the credit, especially now, when I'm in no mood to be pushed around.

"Please continue, Sam," Nina says, an encouraging smile on her face.

And I do. From that point on, Clark doesn't dare interrupt me again.

******

"Hey, Sam." Cathy walks to my cubicle, her tone upbeat.

"Oh hey, what's up?" I say without looking up. I'm trying to finish hunting down the suppliers' contact details for the rest house.

"That was great," she says, giggling. "He's been such a credit grabber. I love how you shut him up. He probably thinks that because he's the nephew of the operations manager he can just sneak his way to the top."

I click my tongue. "I let it go once. I'm not gonna do it again. He's done that to everybody! It was about time I reminded him of his place."

"Thanks for speaking on behalf of everyone."

I prop my head up with my fist then I look at her. "I was just annoyed because he does it to all the ladies in the team. He even butts in when Nina speaks. How rude."

Cathy nods. "Totally. Anyway, dinner later? I found this newly opened ramen restaurant just around the corner."

I think about my plans with Derek. I didn't say yes, but I have a feeling that he has something in mind.

"Hey, you alright? Do you have plans?"

I sigh. "Yes, I do. Sorry."

"Oh, it's fine," Cathy replies. With a playful smile, she pries, "So, how's sharing the unit with Derek?"

"I thought you'd never ask." I force a smile. "It's alright. We don't really see each other often. I promised Patrick that I'd tolerate him somehow, so I try to be more... Friendly."

"That's good. By the way, I'm sorry if we made you feel uncomfortable. It's just Derek. You know all of us had a crush on him, right?"

I can distinctly remember my friends blushing and squealing when I first introduced them to Derek, so yep.

I give a half-shrug. "Yes, yes. It's fine."

"No, I mean, we don't want you to be awkward around him. It's just fun thinking about it. Two adults sharing one space. What could go wrong?" She winks.

"Cut it out," I snort.

"Ha-ha. Just kidding, don't take it seriously! Anyway, I'll be going. I need to finish some last-minute changes for a project. See ya." She waves her hand and sashays away.

"See ya." I whirl around and face my laptop again.

Right. I shouldn't let what they're saying get into my head. This is Derek Crisanto—my brother's best friend and my ultimate adversary.

The hours pass faster after I kick the thoughts away from my head. I'm now standing in front of the door of our unit. I wonder what he ordered for us. I clutch my hungry stomach. I'll eat anything he's bought at this rate.

I slowly enter the unit. It is dim, and the only light source illuminating the place is the lampshade next to the sofa. Surprisingly, I see Derek right there. He is sitting on a blanket laid on the floor where the center table used to be. A plate of Spaghetti, some pieces of fried chicken in a basket, and a plate of Caesar salad were prepared. Meanwhile, he holds a bottle of wine and two glasses.

"Right on time."

He is in his ripped jeans and plain, V-neck white shirt, emphasizing his broad shoulders and biceps.

Crap.

If I didn't know better, I'd think the setup was romantic. I take my shoes off and sit in front of him. I'm glad I've worn slacks today. The floor is surprisingly comfortable.

"The last time I was here, we had a dining table."

He dismisses my sarcasm. "Always be a surprise, Sam. Don't make everything predictable. Be a thrill," he says as he pours a bottle of red wine into a glass. He hands it to me, and I take a sip, a slight burning sensation oozing in my throat. I contemplate what he has said, fighting the urge to agree.

"Thanks. But I meant it when I said that I don't need your so-called lessons."

He pours himself a glass then he offers me a plate and some utensils.

"Let's eat."

I grab a piece of chicken and some spaghetti. I am ravenous. The sweet taste of Spaghetti melts on my tongue like a delightful gift. It is delicious!  The chicken is crispy and bursting with flavor. While I'm happily chewing, Derek hasn't touched his food.

"Why aren't you eating?" I ask. "Please don't tell me you poisoned my food."

He tilts his head to one side before his lips curve upward. "I didn't. I'm not that evil."

"Really?"

He chuckles. "Really."

"Did you cook this?" I ask, taking another bite.

He nods. "I decided to buy ingredients and do the cooking myself."

I suppress a smile. I didn't know he was a good cook. He takes another sip of his wine and then puts some pasta on his plate.

"So, how's work?"

"Well, it was fine. Busy. There's a jerk who always cuts in when ladies talk, so I told him to shut up," I said.

"Really? What did you say?"

"I was explaining something, and he wanted to sound smarter and take credit for my ideas, so I just asked him if he could let me finish talking," I scoff. "Ugh, I hate that guy."

Derek stares at me with a toothy grin.

"What?"

"I think that's cool."

"What's cool?"

"For you to speak out. I'm sorry you have to deal with that situation. It's certainly not ideal."

I roll my eyes. "I can handle it. I don't care. I'm good at my job, and I know what I'm saying, so I have every right to ask him to zip it. I just hate thinking about how many women have to go through that."

Derek nods slowly. "I agree."

We continue eating. Out of nowhere, he asks, "Anyway, just out of curiosity, why were you trying to avoid me?"

He caught me. Crap 2.0. He probably saw me last night before I was able to disappear completely.

Bad stomach! Bad reproductive organ!

"I wasn't," I lie, averting my gaze. "I was just busy, and I needed to finish my latest project."

He narrows his eyes, sensing my evasion. "I know it's an adjustment having me here. You don't have to make excuses."

I flinch. "I'm not!"

I'm not going to admit anything. I'll never confess that he's affecting me in any way.

"I'm just really busy. In fact, I'm leaving on a trip to Tagaytay on Friday. For work. I have a lot on my plate. People need to get their properties designed, you know?"

He raises an eyebrow. "Are you going with anyone?"

I shake my head. "Nah."

"Want me to go with you?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 45K 52
I was forced into a marriage of my parent's choosing. Strapped down and saddled to a man who only cared about himself. I couldn't force myself out of...
448K 15K 52
Ivy knows it's time to return to her childhood seaside town to battle the demons of her past. Two years away from her friends, family and the beloved...
314K 4.2K 35
I pressed my chest onto her now exposed skin. She moaned from both the feeling of my boner digging into her lower region and from the feeling of her...
672K 33.1K 140
If at first you don't succeed, then level the playing field and take a second chance. Two years ago, Ellie Harrison collapsed under the weight of her...