Mr maybe

By Atinyfeels

When Hermione Granger is hit by a love potion and falls for Draco Malfoy, chaos ensues. But what if he slowly... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Note:
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
The End

Chapter 17

12.8K 352 460
By Atinyfeels

HERMIONE P.O.V

"Remind me why you invited them, again," I murmur to Harry, my eyes on Blaise Zabini, Pansy Parkinson and Ron who are seated on the couch before the fireplace, the latter two chattering away. A slight shiver of disgust runs down my spine. I don't care how close Ron claims the two of them got during 'The Month', I still haven't gotten used to it. Harry shrugs.

"We all sorta became friends during-"

I hold up a hand, quickly.

"Right," I interrupt, turning away to push the cabinet doors aside to reveal the enchanted wide-screen TV. I don't really want to be reminded of that time, thank you very much. I just want to move on with my life.

I insert our chosen DVD (and by 'our', I really mean 'my'), Pirates Of The Caribbean 2, into the player, set it up and hit pause, before turning back to the group on the couch. Dear Lord, could Ron make it any more obvious that he likes her? Using any excuse to touch her, hanging on her every word... but she does seem to be returning the favour. Giggling away, blushing... well, I have my doubts, but, it seems to make him happy, so...

"Should I start the movie?" I ask, the remote in my hand. At my words, Blaise frowns, slightly, while his fellow Slytherin doesn't even glance up from her companion.

"Movie?" he asks, handsome features screwed up in confusion. "What's that?" Uh, OK. I forget that Slytherins aren't exactly likely to know about muggle contraptions.

"A recording of people acting things out using really realistic props," I explain, succinctly. He nods in acceptance, the wheels turning. Harry enters from the kitchen with bowls of sweets and crisps and places them on the glass table before the couch. As one filled with jelly beans lands on the glass top, Ron looks up from his flirtation with Pansy.

"Where's Ginny?" he asks, nose screwed up, adorably. "Wasn't she supposed to be here by now?"

"She's coming," I reply and, almost instantly, the portrait door swings open revealing my beautiful friend and - Malfoy? Not that I'm surprised to see him, it is his Common Room, as well, of course. But why on Earth are they holding hands?

Around me, the others' jaws drop and it is so silent you could hear an ants dying screams. I watch the smiling two with a slight feeling of dread.

It couldn't be... could it?

I raise an eyebrow, demanding an explanation. Malfoy and Ginny look at each for a moment, seeming to decide whether to say something important and my heart starts to speed up. As he puts an arm around her, my jaw falls to the floor.

"Ginny and I," he begins slowly, his eyes on mine for whatever reason. "Well, we've started going out."

Before me, Pansy gasps as Ron leaps up in expected outrage.

WHAT?

Ginny and Malfoy?

NO WAY!

The two of them can't stand each other. Why in Heaven's name would they go out?

There must be some kind of reasonable explanation for this. Maybe it's a joke. A really bad, unfunny, joke, but a joke nonetheless.

Hope filling me, I walk hurriedly past the still shell-shocked posse on the sofa and, blatantly, ignoring the Spawn Of The Devil, grab hold of Ginny and tug her into the kitchen, shutting the door firmly behind us.

Right, first things first. I open up the cupboard, grab a sachet of microwaveable popcorn and place it on the marble countertop as she stands there, an eyebrow raised. The kitchen is large and well decorated in pine and chrome with a stand-alone central section.

As soon as I put the sachet into the microwave, set it and turn it on. I turn back to her, putting a serious expression on my face. She is watching me impatiently.

"What the Hell do you think you're doing?" I ask, perfectly reasonably I think you'll agree. Why is she looking at me like that? All taken aback and whatnot.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Don't be so stupid," I hiss, my eyes narrowing in annoyance. "You know exactly what I'm talking about. Since when did you decide you liked the Spawn Of The Devil himself?"

"Since I found out just how much I really liked him," she replies, inspecting her nails, nonchalantly.

"Look, Ginny, it's OK to be friends with him. I guess," I add as an afterthought. "But going out with him is another thing altogether."

Ginny looks at me, unimpressed.

"Mione," she replies, "to be completely honest, I couldn't really care less. You should really give him a chance, he's really not that bad... And, anyway, why do you care so much? I figured it would be Ron dragging me off to 'knock some sense into me', not you."

Is this girl trying to imply something? I narrow my eyes once again. The sounds of raucous laughter creeps into the kitchen from the Common Room and I'm almost tempted to go and see what is going on in there, but immediately I remember that I have more important things to do.

"I don't care. I'm just looking out for your best interests," I say, slowly. "Malfoy is known for being Hogwarts' biggest player; he's been with almost every girl above 4th Year."

There, that should wake her up.

OK, I guess I was wrong.

I gasp in disbelief as Ginny simply rolls her eyes and walks out. So much for the exclamation of thanks and the quick dumping of her new boyfriend that I had expected.

The microwave pings loudly.

JUST AFTER HERMIONE AND GINNY WENT TO THE KITCHEN...

DRACO P.O.V

The kitchen door shuts firmly behind Hermione and my 'new girlfriend' and immediately, everybody in the rooms turns to me, eyebrows raised. Pansy's eyes, however, are narrowed and I have a weird feeling that she's not falling for it.

"OK, Draco," she says, a small smile on her face. "What's really going on?"

Damn it. I should have known we couldn't fool her. No one ever can. Oh, well. Might as well tell them the truth. They are meant to be helping get Hermione and me together. Well, in theory, anyway.

"I came up with the idea of publicly dating someone to make Hermione notice me and, hopefully, get jealous," I explain, "Ginny offered to help me."

I congratulate myself as the others exchange glances and laugh loudly in relief. Potter can't know the real truth. All part of the plan, you see. I raise an eyebrow at the group on the sofa.

"Let's hope it works," Blaise sniggers as Weasley nudges him with an elbow. You know, what, for some reason, I'm getting the weirdest feeling that there's something they're not telling me. I consider it for a moment and then dismiss the thought. There's no way Blaise and Pansy would keep anything from me; we tell each other everything.

"Why Ginny though," Potter asks, in what I'm sure he thinks is a casual fashion. Oh, please, Potter. Everyone knows you like the Weaslette. Why else do you think she's remained dateless for so long?

"Because she's one of Hermione's best girlfriends. I considered Parvarti, but she's about to be taken"- I exchange a knowing glance with Blaise-" And Lavender's dating that Smith guy."

The kitchen door swings open and Ginny (ugh- I'm going to have to get used to calling her that) enters the room, a suspicious smile on her face. A few moments later, Hermione emerges carrying two bowls of popcorn. God, her legs look good in those shorts...

She walks over to the TV and presses 'play' on the DVD, before settling down between Blaise and Potter, her head coming to rest on the latter's shoulder. I don't think Pansy and Weasley are going to be watching the movie at all. They appear to be a little occupied with their open flirtation.

Right, back to the plan. I put an arm around Ginny as she sits between Pansy and I. Hermione doesn't even blink.

God, I hope this works.

08:11/ MONDAY 11TH OCTOBER/ GREAT HALL/ BREAKFAST

NARRATOR P.O.V

The hype over the Dramione break-up still hasn't died down (or given any signs of doing so) and the eyes of all in the Great Hall are, as usual, on the Golden Trio seated at the Gryffindor Table. The male members of the exulted and popular clique are muttering to each other in between mouthfuls of food as their Princess, seated between them, ignores them, flipping through a homework journal whilst eating.

Now, she doesn't know this, but the youngest Weasley and the Slytherin Prince spent all of yesterday planning their upcoming actions, practicing how to make it look like they're in a real relationship without any actual lip-to-lip contact and preparing for the inevitable media onslaught; even discussing how to use it to their best advantage...

Suddenly, the Hall doors crash open and all glance up to see Draco Malfoy and Ginny Weasley walking in, hand in hand. The silence is deafening, the only sound being of a passing pigeon slamming into a window whilst trying to get a birds-eye-view. Even the teachers are speechless, mouths agape and eyes wide.

Hermione raises an eyebrow at Ginny. Didn't she warn her? As Draco and Ginny walk over to the Gryffindor Table and take a seat, eyebrows are raised, but people begin to resume their interrupted conversations, the sole topic being, of course, the shocking new arrival. While Harry and Ron simply look up and wave at the couple, signifying to their House that the Slytherin's presence is all right with them, and, therefore, has to be so with everyone else, Hermione shakes her head disapprovingly. Many are now looking over at her (naturally!) so she is careful to appear unmoved. Even blinking more than usual could be twisted into something as big as bursting into tears by Hogwarts' infamous gossips, when relaying the news to friends.

No one notices that Harry keeps glancing over at the new couple, seemingly more than necessary.

Hmm... things are starting to get even more interesting...

14:42/ MONDAY 11TH OCTOBER/ CLASSROOM 21/ CHARMS

HERMIONE P.O.V

"Aren't you even the slightest bit angry," Parvarti asks me, leaning over Lavender. The two are, as usual, seated at the next table along. "I mean, if I was going out with Draco Malfoy and then you or Lavender started dating him as soon as we broke up, I would be furious."

"I would never speak to her again," another girl says.

"Yeah!" Lavender agrees.

The considerable crowd of people around my desk all nod in agreement. I resist the urge to roll my eyes as I give up on trying to do my work. I mean it's not like I don't know all this stuff anyway. Why can't these idiots leave me alone?

For the past half hour, Slytherins and Gryffindors alike have been surrounding Harry, Ron and my desk, asking question after questions and offering opinions that I, quite frankly, don't want. My two best mates, seated on either side of me, have resorted to listening to their I-Pods (birthday gifts from me) and are now blissfully playing a game of noughts and crosses, having successfully managed to finish a ten-minute piece of work over twenty minutes ago (the traitors). And, unfortunately for me, Flitwick doesn't appear to care one bit about my predicament and is ignoring us all and reading a book.

"If I were you, I'd get Harry and Ron to 'take care of her' if you know what I mean."

"Don't be so stupid, you idiot. Ginny's Ron's sister, remember?"

"Yeah! More like she should get them to beat up Malfoy!"

"Heck, Hermione, I would do it for you, if you want. Just say the word, sweetheart.

" Yeah! He'll be in the Hospital Wing so long, we'd already have graduated!"

"Oh, please. Draco would wipe the floor with you!"

I sigh, kneading my forehead with my fingertips for a moment, before looking up at the crowd. My eyes land on a boy that I recognise as a HG Weekly reporter. HA! Think you can try and trick me into saying something incriminating? Not likely.

OK, Hermione, make sure to look calm and relaxed. No sense in allowing him to write that I'm angry and jealous over Ginny and Malfoy.

"OK, everybody, listen up, 'cause I will only say this once," I say, snapping my fingers twice. Instantly, they are silent, eyes on me, alert. "Although I really couldn't care less about Mr Malfoy or what he gets up to, I am happy that Ginny is with someone. They both seem content and I have no objection to their relationship."

As I finish my sentence, the bell rings loudly. I jump up and start to pack away, ignoring the further questions.

There. I think that should do it.

DRACO P.O.V

As I swing my rucksack onto my back, my eyes remain on Hermione. I heard what she said and it hurts. She doesn't care about me.

At all.

This would destroy me if I didn't have hope.

If I didn't have a plan.

Lord, I hope this works.

Cause if it doesn't...

17:29/ MONDAY 11TH OCTOBER/ GRYFFINDOR TOWER/ COMMON ROOM

NARRATOR P.O.V

There is a mob milling around the girl who is to inherit the Gryffindor throne upon Hermione Granger's departure from Hogwarts. She is seated in her usual seat around the fireplace, answering the multiple questions being hurled her way by the thirty or so people surrounding her chair.

"How long have you guys been going out?"

"Since last Friday, but I've liked him for ages."

"So, you're admitting that you were behind Hermione and Malfoy's break up?"

"Absolutely not. Draco didn't find out I liked him till Friday and we decided to give it a go. I would never have done that to Hermione and we have her full blessing."

"What does Hermione think about it? I heard she was jealous!"

"No, that is 100 not true. We came out to our friends on Friday night a private meeting and they are all fine with it."

The questions continue being hurled around and, as the beautiful auburn haired witch throws her head back in laughter at one of them, the Boy Who Lived stalks over the crowded fireplace. As soon as they see him coming, the large group parts like the Red Sea to let him through.

He comes to stand beside her chair and taps her lightly on the shoulder.

"I need to talk to you," he murmurs, his breath ruffling her side fringe. She glances up at him, a confused expression on her face, but nods. He looks up at the now silent crowd, who are openly attempting to eavesdrop.

"Could we have some privacy, please? Her mother gave me a message to pass onto her about the Christmas Holidays," he says, his tone daring them to argue. At the dangerous glint in his eye, the crowd shuffle off, albeit grumbling quietly under their breath.

Once they've all left the Common Room, many shuffling out to Dinner, Harry sits on the chair beside her. Ginny turns to him, any eyebrow raised. Ooh... wonder what this could be about... (Aren't you glad now that we skipped Dinner? Told you it'd be worth it...)

"What about?" Ginny asks, chewing a little on her lip, nervously. Harry takes in a deep breath staring into the fire for a moment, appearing to gather up his courage.

"Why do you and Malfoy have to use this kind of plan," he asks, startling eyes now on her.

"To make Hermione sit up and notice him. And to make her realise she's actually in love with him. But Draco doesn't know that last bit," she adds, brightly. At her words, Harry looks down.

"I know, but it still really bothers me, because... well, because, I like you, Ginny... I really like you." As he says these words, a furious blush floods his neck and cheeks. If he were to look up, though, he would see a 200 million watt smile on her face.

She nudges him gently and he looks up.

"I really like you too,"

Harry's entire face lights up and the two love-struck teens beam at each other...

18:11/ MONDAY 11TH OCTOBER/ HEADS' QUARTERS/ JUST OUTSIDE HERMIONE'S ROOM

DRACO P.O.V

Come on, Draco, just do it. Remember why you're doing this. I raise slightly trembling hand to Hermione's door and knock twice. As I wait patiently, listening to the sounds of her heading towards her door, I do just that. I need to know why she hates me and do something about it. Whatever she asks, I'll do it. We need to be friends for the plan to work.

The door swings open and there she is, chocolate curls cascading from a hastily tied up bun, and a look of surprise on her face. God, she's so beautiful...

Come on, Draco. Don't get distracted, now.

"Can I come in?" I ask, through a dry throat. She stands there, watching me suspiciously, as my heart pounds. It is a heart-stopping few seconds before she steps back and lets me in. I walk into her cosy room. Her books are spread out over her duvet; she must have been doing her homework when I knocked. I feel a slight pang. She always used to do her homework in the Common Room.

With me.

As soon as I close the door behind me, she turns to me, a frown on her face.

"Why are you here?" she asks, bluntly. Whoa, Granger. Not one to beat around the bush, are you? Right, Draco, here we go. Now, say it gently, don't-

"Why do you hate me so much?" I blurt out before wincing, visibly. That didn't go quite as I'd planned. As I mentally berate myself, the chocolate haired angel looks surprised and taken aback as if this was the last thing she'd expected. For a moment, she doesn't say anything, her eyes searching the ceiling, as if for what to say.

"I don't hate you, it's just that you've given me no reason to like you," she answers, slowly. "You've been nothing but cruel to me from day one."

With the exception of the past month, of course. But I don't think she would really appreciate me saying that.

"Well, I'd really like for that to change," I reply, seriously. I need her to know that I'm being serious. She is silent for a moment, her eyes searching my face for any sign that I'm having her on.

"Fine," she asserts. A bubble of happiness wells up within me and I can't stop a bright smile spreading across my face.

"So, we'll start tomorrow with a clean slate," I tell her. Right, Draco, it was short and sweet. Now turn around and-

"We should probably just go along with HG Weekly's version of-of what happened," she says, suddenly. " I mean, it's not like anyone believes our story, anyway."

I nod, waving a quick goodnight as I leave. I shut the door behind me and breathe a sigh of relief.

There. That wasn't so bad, was it?

19:17/ MONDAY 11TH OCTOBER/ THE FIELDS

NARRATOR P.O.V

The only female member of the Silver Trio is walking through the Fields, aimlessly, through the various groups assembled.

"Hey, Pansy, over here!" Shouts one 7th Year Ravenclaw girl at the centre of a large group. She beckons, frantically, but Pansy just waves back, declining the offer. This is an everyday thing for her, being invited to join various groups of students, even regardless of House. Being a member of the Silver Trio and also, quite frankly, stunning, automatically makes her one of the three most popular girls in school.

This isn't the only reason why she has received even more invitations than usual. Everyone wants an insider's view on the biggest story since the now infamous LVI- the apparent Ginny, Draco and Hermione love triangle. So far, though, not one word on the entire affair has emerged from Draco or Hermione's respective camps (which include Theodore Nott, Blaise Zabini, Martin Flint- the Marcus Flint's brother-, Pansy Parkinson, Darrell Jones and Joshua Smith for Draco- among others- and Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown for Hermione-among others) and Hogwarts is desperate for news.

Several metres away from Pansy, sits Ron in the middle of a group of noisy and very nosy Hufflepuffs. We can't hear what's being said from here but it must be quite funny as he's in the middle of a fit of loud laughter. He glances up and catches sight of the beautiful raven-haired girl. Immediately, he excuses himself, declining the group's pleas to stay just a little while longer, stands up and walks up to her, his eyes on her all the while.

"Pansy, hey!" He says, tapping her gently on the arm to alert her to his presence. She whirls around, her straight hair swirling around her slender figure, and, as soon as she sees him, a bright smile that lights up the world graces her face.

"Hey," she grins," What's up?"

"Oh, nothing much," he replies, "Are people pestering you about the Ginny and Malfoy thing, as well?"

"Oh my God, yeah," she giggles (I know, right? Pansy Parkinson? Giggling?) as the two start to walk together. It's really dark out here, the only light being from the strategically placed magical sources of light in the ground to guide the students.

"I heard Dramione broke up because Draco was cheating on Hermione with Ginny," Ron mimics, perfectly. "Is that true?"

As we follow the two down the gently sloping bank down to the flat plain just before the Great Lake, the sounds of their laughter reach our ears. They take a seat on the flat plain.

"I know," Pansy replies, laughter still evident in her voice. "It's ridiculous. But Draco must really love Hermione to go through all this for her."

Ron nods his head and mutters an agreement, albeit grudgingly.

"All I can say is that I hope his 'plan' works," Ron tells her, plucking a straw and chewing it. Pansy flops back onto the sloping bank, her hair spread out around her face. Silence reigns for a moment, the only sound being that of the distant voices above.

"It must really suck to be in love with someone who believes they hate your guts," she murmurs, sympathetically, gazing up at the stars in the night sky. Her companion turns to look down at her, an unreadable expression in his eyes.

"What would you say if I were to ask you out?" he asks, slowly. Her eyes widen and a warmth spread spreads through her, hope filling her. She sits up and shifts so that she's facing him.

"It depends. Are you asking?" she replies, coyly, a slightly cheeky smile gracing her features. He grins back.

"Maybe."

"Stop messing about, Ron," she giggles, pushing his broad shoulder, gently. "Are you asking?"

Suddenly, his face grows serious and his blue eyes stop their merry dance.

"Yeah."

"Then I'd say yes," she answers her eyes searching his face, happily. Ron grins at her, relieved, and leans in for a kiss.

Ah, young amore. Let's leave the two lovebirds alone, shall we?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.6K 3.5K 31
(UNDER MAJOR EDITING) A Harry x Hermione x Draco love triangle Fan Fiction Disclaimer: I own nothing, credits are all belongs to J.K Rowling well as...
43.7K 1.2K 12
Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy didn't start off on the best terms but soon Harry decided he'd like to become friends with Draco, but there's a problem...
4.9K 172 12
After Draco Malfoy tires of waiting to have Hermione Granger by his side, he decides to take what he wants. Hermione suddenly finds herself in a deli...
30.3K 751 21
How could a Slytherin, and Draco Malfoy of all people, possibly fall for a weak Hufflepuff? And what will he do when he finds out her dark secret? Ye...