Eugenia (A Lady's Maid Trilog...

由 thequietwriter

It is Eugenia Burnham's first season, and she couldn't be more nervous. Her mother expects her to marry well... 更多

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Epilogue

Chapter Twelve

225 28 3
由 thequietwriter

"I suppose I should go see my sisters before anyone comes to call," I said with a sigh as I came back to the present. "And Miss Graham has not yet seen my transformation."

"I'm sure they will be enchanted as everyone must be."

Nelson's statement made me laugh. "Phoebe and Daphne? The only thing that enchants them is mischief, but I appreciate the sentiment. If I know them at all, and I believe I must after so many years, it will not be long before they are begging to have their hair cut short."

The maid smiled as I left the room. Humming to myself, I made my way to the schoolroom where I was sure I would find my sisters, and I did. However, Miss Graham was not with them. Again. What errands were taking the governess away from her duties so often?

"Were you the belle of the ball, Genie?" Daphne asked as soon as she saw me.

"Since I didn't attend a ball, no, I was not," I said with a laugh. "It was a dinner, which I enjoyed immensely."

My sister twisted her face into an expression of disgust. "Boring," she declared as she turned away.

"Where is Miss Graham?" I asked, as neither of them seemed inclined to volunteer that information. "Shouldn't you both be studying spelling right now?"

"Indeed they should be," Miss Graham said as she entered the schoolroom. She came to a halt as she stared at me. "Goodness, Miss Burnham! Your hair! Your dress! Whatever induced you to do this?"

Smiling, I spun to face her, and I held my arms out to display my new appearance to the best advantage. "What do you think?" I asked, eager for her opinion. "Would you ever have thought I could look so well?"

"This cannot have been your idea."

She seemed...annoyed and upset. I lowered my arms, feeling my delight fading. "Well, no," I said. There was no way to lie to her. She'd only catch me out. "Nelson arranged it all, but I gave my permission for it to be done."

"I think she looks beautiful, and before she was hideous," Phoebe said suddenly. "I want to look just like her when I come out."

Besides the fact that she thought I'd been ugly before, it was the sweetest thing my sister had ever said to me. Pleased, I sent a smile in her direction, but her attention was already on something Daphne had discovered in the history book.

"You mustn't allow Miss Nelson to rule your life," Miss Graham said in a low voice. "She is not that much older than yourself, you realize."

"But I haven't allowed that at all. Her suggestion has helped me more than anyone else's have in the past. I could have said no, but I didn't, and things couldn't be better because of it! Mr. Landon has invited me on a carriage ride today."

Miss Graham's lips thinned into a thin line, showing her disapproval. What did she have against Nelson? Of course, they must have met, but I couldn't imagine what could have happened to incite ill feelings.

"Well, there's no need to give her all of the credit. I'm sure he would have asked you eventually," the governess said, her tone matter of fact. "Has he not giving you much attention these past several weeks?"

"That may be true, but I like my new look," I said stubbornly. "Monsieur Lemaire did a splendid job and explained just how much this hairstyle suits me. You must admit, few young ladies have dared to cut their hair."

"For a reason. It is an extreme style and hints at a rebellious nature."

Both of my sisters burst out in laughter, distracting me from my confusion at Miss Graham's negativity. "Eugenia? Rebellious?" Daphne asked. "I don't think I've ever heard anything so ridiculous! She's the least rebellious person in the world."

"Daphne Burnham, it is rude to eavesdrop on a private conversation," Miss Graham immediately said, her tone scolding.

"How can it be private when you are standing only a few feet away from us?" Phoebe asked, raising her eyebrow in an attempt to look superior. "If it were truly meant to be private, you and Genie would have stepped outside."

"Well, I'm sure Mama and I will have visitors soon," I said, anxious to escape before Miss Graham continued scolding. I was disappointed she wasn't as supportive as she'd been before. "I will leave you to your studies."

Before any of them could say a word, I rushed out. Miss Graham had been so busy lately. Perhaps with so much on her mind, she didn't mean to be dismissive and judgemental?

With a sigh, I put it from my mind and began to mentally prepare myself for the coming visitors.

****

Many of the ladies who appeared all exclaimed over my hair, with several making mention that they hadn't believed it. Had my change in appearance spread throughout the ton already? I didn't know whether to be flattered or not.

I kept watching for Miss Ramsey and Miss Bywood, for I wanted to show off my new hairstyle to them. However, they did not come. Hopefully, I would encounter them either at the opera the following evening, or maybe I would see them while I was out with Mr. Landon.

As the time drew near for Mr. Landon to call for me, I excused myself and hurried up to my room to freshen up. My hands shook with nerves as Nelson ensured I was ready for the drive. Somehow, I felt as though my entire future rested on this afternoon carriage ride going well.

The fact that the shortness of my hair would be hidden under my hat saddened me, but I tied the ribbon under my chin. For a moment, I admired my appearance in the mirror. The simple lines of my walking dress and the lovely blue pelisse went together beautifully.

When Molly appeared with the message that Mr. Landon had arrived, I took a deep breath and straightened my shoulders. "Thank you, Molly," I said as I looped the reticule strings around my wrist, and walked with as much calmness as I could muster to the entrance hall.

Nelson trailed along behind me, for some unknown reason. When I reached the top of the stairs, I looked down and saw Mr. Landon standing below me. How handsome he was! He smiled at me as I came down the steps and then held out his arm. "You look lovely today," he said.

"Thank you." I put my hand on his arm and stayed in step beside him as we walked out of the house.

His phaeton gleamed in the sunlight, the black finish polished to perfection. Mr. Landon had a lovely brown mare to pull it. "What, no high perch?" I asked, my tone teasing.

"I am not a sportsman and would not make the mistake of pretending to be one," he said as he assisted me up to the seat. "Are you disappointed you won't be present for me to—what is it they call it, again?— 'feather the corner?'"

"I'm not sure my nerves could have handled it if you had." Mr. Landon settled next to me and then we were off. Curiously, I said, "Where are we going? I don't think you ever mentioned."

He chuckled. "What a question, Miss Burnham. Where else would we go but Hyde Park?"

Of course. The place where everyone went to be seen, much like the opera. If it weren't for my hat, everyone who was anyone would notice my new look. Still, all would see me with Mr. Landon, and that was enough for me.

"You seem pleased with yourself, Miss Burnham," Mr. Landon said, catching my attention. "Ought I be flattered?"

His tone was teasing, but I couldn't keep from blushing. "It's such a lovely day. Why shouldn't I be pleased to be out and enjoying it?"

"My pride has taken a hit, and a well deserved one. My mother has frequently told me I think too much of myself. You are assisting me in humbling myself, Miss Burnham. Something my mother will no doubt thank you for."

I couldn't quite tell whether he was jesting or not. "I look forward to meeting your mother. I've not had that pleasure yet."

"It will be my pleasure to introduce you," Mr. Landon said, nodding towards an acquaintance. He brought the phaeton to a halt to exchange greetings with the young man I'd supped next to the previous evening, Mr. Russell. "Well met, Russell."

The young man nodded to me. "Miss Burnham, Landon," he said. "I've not seen either of you enjoying a day's drive before, and I'm here every day, no matter the weather."

What an impertinent observation to make! I felt Mr. Landon tense beside me. "I had little notion you were such an avid observer of people, Russell," he said, his tone decidedly colder than before.

Mr. Russell didn't seem to notice the criticism. "I am on my way to meet Miss Bywood and Miss Ramsey, and although young ladies are notorious for being unready, a gentleman must be on time, mustn't he?"

My opinion of the man was steadily going down with every word, and I dearly wanted to give him a proper set down. "I wouldn't know," Mr. Landon said before I could say a word. "Miss Burnham was prompt when I called for her. However, do not let us keep you."

With a tip of his hat, Mr. Russell was off on his mount. I let my breath out and resolved to hold my tongue. The phaeton moved forward and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mr. Landon glance at me.

"Are you great friends with Mr. Russell?" he asked, his tone calm. "As I recall, you seemed to be in close conversation over dinner last evening."

"I fear Mr. Russell, and I did not see eye to eye on many subjects," I said honestly, pleased that Mr. Landon had taken notice of my conversation with the other young man. "He is a pleasant enough young man, but I fear we are not and never will be close companions."

When I glanced over, I thought I saw a momentary flash of relief on his face. "We are agreed on that point," he said, his tone giving nothing away. "Perhaps he simply needs more time in society to be more congenial."
Once again, the phaeton was brought to a halt as Mr. Landon made eye contact with another acquaintance. For the next to hour, it was stop and go as we encountered those we knew and engaged them in conversation. Thankfully, we seemed to know the same people, so there were no awkward moments.

"Have you and your mother any plans to attend the opera?"

Surprised by the question, which was asked when we were on our way back to my home, I paused for a moment. "Mama has made no mention of it, but I would very much like to attend again," I said honestly.

"If I were to extend an invitation to you, would you and your mother join me in my box?"

I heard a note of nervousness in Mr. Landon's voice. "Although I cannot speak for my mother, I'm sure she would be delighted when she hears of it."

Mr. Landon's shoulders straightened. "I will investigate what will be playing, and then we can set a date."

The rest of the ride was made in perfect contentment. Not only had I enjoyed an afternoon with Mr. Landon, but he'd also already set in motion arrangements so that we could spend more time together.

Things could only continue to improve!

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

8.2K 777 15
After two years, Lady Celia Leith has had enough. When she married Sir Horace, she thought she knew what marriage would bring her: security, a home...
230K 11.5K 25
| Completed | "I've never been more certain of anything in my life, Kitten. You...were made for me." Elijah Wright, the Duke of Kent, grew up learnin...
4.7M 161K 39
Eleanor "Elle" is fun and outgoing. She's a talented young girl full of dreams and life...which makes her the exact opposite of what her stuck-up sno...
3.1M 14.9K 6
Lord Marshall Sutherland wanted a wife. He had also known exactly who he wanted as his wife for precisely a year. Unfortunately, Miss I.P. Bright was...