Eugenia (A Lady's Maid Trilog...

By thequietwriter

It is Eugenia Burnham's first season, and she couldn't be more nervous. Her mother expects her to marry well... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Epilogue

Chapter Five

228 26 4
By thequietwriter

Three days later, I went to Mama's dressing room as she'd asked me to the night before. It was, by far, my least favorite room. Although the color pink was enjoyable, I disliked the many shades that decorated the room. Unsure how long my mother would expect me to keep her company, I took a book along with me.

"I noticed that you did not smile much at Lord John last night, Eugenia."

Surely my mother hadn't asked me to join her to scold for something she could have mentioned in the carriage on our way home. "Our conversation was not such that smiling was encouraged," I said honestly.

"All conversation is an encouragement for smiles. How else do you expect to look your best when you speak to eligible gentlemen. Lord John is—"

"Old enough to be my grandfather," I said with rather more impatience than I intended. "His wife died no more than six months ago."

Mama heaved a sigh. "Summon Mary, Eugenia," she said. She held her hand to her forehead as though she had a headache. "I have instruction to give our new lady's maid."

Did that mean Mary had the position? I obediently went to the bellrope and pulled it. I returned to my stool and waited for the maid to arrive, which she did less than five minutes later. To my surprise, she had a sullen expression on her face.

"Bring Nelson to me," Mama ordered.

The name caught my attention. Had she hired the very woman Bridges had recommended? Mama closed her eyes and reclined on her chaise longue. "Lord John is still young enough to marry again. He has a fine estate, and has shown he is capable of keeping a wife."

"Mama, he is not going to court me."

"Certainly not if you refuse to smile at him."

We were not going to see eye to eye on this. Mama continued to endorse Lord John's eligibility, highlighting that if he did not live long I would be a wealthy widow. After only a few minutes, I stopped listening and opened my book.

"Oh, there you are, Nelson," Mama said, getting my attention. "I'm so glad you have finally come. There are just so many things that need to be done before the dinner tomorrow night."

Lifting my gaze from the book on my lap, I spotted the young woman who stood just inside the room. There was something familiar about her, though I couldn't quite pin down what it was. Her gown was severe and plain, and her brown hair was pulled back in a chignon. She had brown eyes, which held a serious expression. Nothing about her seemed remarkable, except...she had an air of dignity about her.

"Eugenia, this is the new lady's maid I told you about," Mama said, putting her hand on my arm. "I tried to convince your father we needed a French maid. Perhaps people will think she is one if we call her Julie? Julie sounds almost French, does it not?"

How many times had Mama asked Father about hiring a French maid? "Mama, I think all we should worry about is whether she is going to stay or not," I said, studying Nelson. "I thought Papa was going to consider Mary for the position."

"Mary hasn't the experience to take on the position." Mama's tone was dismissive. She leaned back once again and closed her eyes. "Perhaps, given time, she will become useful. Right now, though, we need you looking your very best, Eugenia. You know how important it is for the family."

Pulling my gaze from the new maid, I shook her head and closed my book. "It's not fair to put all the family's hopes on me, Mama. You expect too much from me. I am not the kind of girl that will make the brilliant match that all society will talk of. You know that."

There was the sound of someone clearing their throat softly, and I glanced at Nelson. "Was there something specific you wanted me to do, ma'am?" she asked.

"Oh, yes," Mama exclaimed, her tone surprised. She waved a hand towards the wardrobe. "Many rips and tears must be seen to as soon as possible. It's been so difficult finding a reliable maid, you understand."

As Nelson went to the wardrobe, I shifted the conversation away from my future to society happenings; the invitations we had accepted, who would also be attending. There was no reason for the maid to know my worries and concerns. Not until I knew I could trust her.

All of a sudden there was the sound of distant shouting. What were Calliope and Daphne doing now? Mama heaved a sigh. "Eugenia, go see what your sisters are quarreling about this time, for I haven't the patience to deal with them," she said, a weariness in her voice that hadn't been there before. "You may take some of the gowns with you, Nelson, and work on them this evening."

"Yes, ma'am," the maid said, her arms full of clothes in need of repair. I felt a sliver of pity for her. Mama was putting her right to work. As much as we needed her, surely it would have been kinder to allow her time to unpack her belongings.

Nevertheless, I was relieved to be able to make my escape, even if it was to confront my sisters. Their voices did not decrease as I approached the schoolroom. Why had Miss Graham done nothing to silence them?

In the schoolroom, I discovered my sisters a mere foot apart. They both had their hands on a book. I couldn't decide which was more astonishing: the fact that they had the book or that they were fighting over it. "What are you doing?" I asked, striding forward.

"Eugenia!" Calliope objected as I tore the book out of their grasp. "This doesn't concern you!"

"It certainly does when you are loud enough to disturb Mama," I said, holding the book out of her reach. "What seems to the problem that you are unable to share a book?"

"I was reading it first," Daphne said, her tone defensive. She glared at Calliope all the while trying to jump for the book. "She just came along and tried to take it from me! She needs to wait her turn."

Behind me, I heard the door open. "I cannot leave you for even a minute, can I?" Miss Graham said as she entered. With ease, she took the book from my hand and faced my sisters. "I believe the task I left for you to do was to work on the mathematics problems I wrote out for you. Both of you return to your work."

Scowls on their faces, Calliope and Daphne moved to the table. "Oh, while I am here, I want to warn you both to behave yourselves," I said, deciding to take advantage of the moment. "Mama has hired a new lady's maid, and I do not want to hear you have been causing mischief. Do you understand?"

My sisters exchanged glances before they focused on me. "I am hurt that you would believe us capable of such a thing," Calliope said, widening her eyes with mock distress.

"We'll be friendly," Daphne added.

"I'm sure." I wasn't going to fall for their innocent words. "Well, Mama and I need Miss Nelson to remain, at least for the rest of the season. I want you to give me your word you will not do any pranks on her."

"We promise," the pair said together. Then, they bent their heads over their work.

Miss Graham faced me. "So, your mother chose Miss Nelson," she said, keeping her voice low.

"I am astonished as you are. Mama said nothing to me about it until she summoned Nelson to her room." I shook my head with a slight laugh. "She tried to convince Father that the expense of a French maid would be worth it and since he said no, she wants to call Nelson 'Julie'."

The governess frowned. "Julie? Why Julie?"

"That is her Christian name, and Mama believes calling her by it will make it seem as though Nelson is French."

"But I thought her name was Marie...." Miss Graham's voice trailed away, and she shook her head. "I must have misunderstood."

She glanced at my sisters who were making a valiant effort to appear as though they were intent on their studies. "If you would keep an eye on them both, I would like to welcome Miss Nelson to the house."

Startled, I blinked. "You what?"

"Eugenia, surely you know how difficult it can be for a lady's maid to join a new household. It is not so different from being a governess; almost above a servant but not quite. It would be a kindness for me to welcome her."

"I didn't know you'd done so with Evans or any of the other maids."

A flush spread up Miss Graham's neck. "I wasn't aware I had to keep you apprised of everything I did."

This was not the strict governess who had taught me how to be a young lady. What had happened to change her so completely since I'd left the schoolroom? "I did not say that," I said cautiously. "There's no need to twist my words."

Thankfully, Mary arrived with the mid-day meal for my sisters. "I will return in a few minutes," Miss Graham said. Before I could agree or protest, she spun around and walked out of the schoolroom.

"There are times I feel as though I live in a madhouse," I muttered under my breath. I sat at the table where my sisters had happily put their books aside. "How often does Miss Graham leave you to study alone?"

Both girls shrugged their shoulders. "Sometimes," Calliope said.

"That doesn't answer my question."

"She doesn't leave us often enough for my taste," Daphne said emphatically. She sent a scowl at the schoolwork that had been pushed to the center of the table. "I wish we still had Miss Johnson."

I couldn't keep back a laugh. "Miss Johnson? I seem to remember you detested her presence," I said, remembering the governess we'd had before Miss Graham's timely arrival. "You wouldn't do anything she told you to do."

"That's not how I remember things."

"I'm sure."

Calliope pushed her chair onto the back legs, and I reached over to right the chair. "Tell us about the new maid. Is she hideous?"

"I don't know a thing about her."

Fifteen minutes passed with my sisters trying to get some information from me, which I did not have to give them even I'd felt inclined to do so. Then, Miss Graham reappeared. "I believe you have matters to attend to, Miss Burnham," she said, getting right to the point. Her tone of voice brooked no argument. "Daphne, Calliope, you have work to do."

"Did Nelson thank you for your welcome?" I asked as I stood up.

The expression on her face changed so quickly it was hard to follow: irritation, frustration, disbelief? "I believe you are distracting your sisters," was all she said, though.

Of course. I decided to retreat to my room. Whatever was on Miss Graham's mind would have to remain a mystery. When I stepped through the doorway, I discovered Mary was already there, going about her daily routine.

"I'm sorry," was the only thing I could think of to say to her.

"It ain't your fault, Miss," Mary said, her voice low. "The missus made her mind up is all."

"Maybe you can learn from Nelson, and then next time you would have more of a chance," I said, clinging to hope. "Or if I marry, you could go with me as my maid."

"It's kind of you to say so, but I should continue with my duties."

She bobbed a curtsy and hurried out. Shaking my head, I went to the window where I would have the best light to read, but the tale did not hold my attention. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 777 15
After two years, Lady Celia Leith has had enough. When she married Sir Horace, she thought she knew what marriage would bring her: security, a home...
113K 8.4K 18
Juliet Sinclair knows her brother was murdered--now if only she could understand why. Proving her family innocent of treason is taking a toll on lady...
8.5K 1.1K 22
Trusting the wrong man has consequences. Once an Incomparable debutante of Bath society, Miss Rose Dunbar's life has been turned upside down. She has...
34.6K 1.7K 55
[Book 1 of Greenhill-Sinclair Series] Set in 1818, in London, during the regency era. Violet Greenhill, has always been the most admired woman in Lon...