Long Lost Betrothed

By dark-angel256

Ophelia Alastair used to be a Nobel and betrothed to the one and only Percival De Rolo. But then the Briarwoo... More

Characters
Warning
Prologue
Meeting Vox Machina
The Dragon part 1
The Dragon Part 2
The Briarwoods Part 2
House Arrest Part 1
House Arrest Part 2
To Whitestone Part 1
To Whitestone Part 2
The Resistance Part 1
The Resistance Part 2
Finding Cassandra
Professor Anders
Zombies Part 1
Zombies Part 2
Depths of Deceit Part 1
Depths of Deciet Part 2
Depths of Deciet Part 3
Whispers of the Ziggurat Part 1
Whispers of the Ziggurat Part 2
The Darkness Within Part 1
The Darkness Within Part 2
The Night After They Return
Prologue
Rise of the Chroma Conclave Part 1
Rise of the Chroma Conclave Part 2
The Trials of Vasselheim Part 1
The Trails of Vasselheim Part 2
The Sunken Tomb Part 1
The Sunken Tomb Part 2
Those Who Walk Away Part 1
Those Who Walk Away Part 2
Pass Through Fire Part 1

The BriarwoodsPart 1

1.8K 38 2
By dark-angel256

Word count: 3394
(dress for the party but the white is red)

I was running through the woods again on the horse, that our fastest rider had me get on so that he could stay and fight the hounds that were chasing us. But as I rode through the forest I saw bodies of my mother, father, the servants, soldiers, everyone who fought and died for my family, for me; hung up in the trees different typed of way that they could have been killed flashing before my eyes. My parents beheaded or their eyes gauged out, I started breathing heavily as the horse went out from other me and I rolled through the snow until I got stopped by a rock, groaning in pain I stood from where I stopped and looked up to see the bodies of Vox Machina and at the front of all of them was Percy's body, with a sign that read 'You could have prevented this.' Written on it in blood.

Waking up with a small scream I jerked up in bed my hand on my chest breathing heavily. "Ophelia?" Percy asked rushing into the door of my room and at my bed in seconds pulling me into his arms. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, yes, sorry Percy, I didn't mean to wake you, it was just a nightmare." I said softly leaning my head against his chest still trying to slow my heavy breathing.

"You didn't wake me; I woke from my own nightmare." Percy said softly stroking my platinum blonde hair gently.

"Was it also about the Briarwoods..." I asked trailing off softly.

"It was." He said and I looked up at him to see a faraway look in his eyes.

"Will you lay with me for a little while? Like when we were younger and one of us would wake from bad dream." I asked softly blushing.

"Of course." Percy said a blush forming on his cheeks also as I lifted the covers allowing him to crawl into bed. Lying beside me, he pulled me against him as I rested my head on his chest.

"Do you remember when we were nine, and Cassandra convinced me to play a prank on you by changing out all your pens to exploding ink ones that we created together." I said softly giggling at the memory of it.

"I was so mad at the both of you. Mother had the cleaning lady spend weeks on trying to get the stains out before finally giving up and just buying me a new set." Percy said shaking his head as he chuckled softly at the memory. "You begged me for three days to talk to you again when I tried giving you the silent treatment."

"You never were good at ignoring me when you were mad." I said looking up at Percy as he looked down at me staring at me with his beautiful green eyes.

"You're a hard person to ignore." Percy said quietly his eyes flickering down to my lips before back, up for a second. Feeling brave I leaned up and gently kissed Percy resting my hand on his cheek as I felt his arms wrap more firmly around my waist pulling me closer, causing me to gasp softly and Percy, took that as a chance to deepen the kiss.

"We should stop, Percy... before we make noise that's gonna wake everyone else up and piss them off." I said as I broke the kiss gently pushing myself up by pressing my hands into his chest, as he groaned quietly rolling his eyes.

"If I was Scanlan, I wouldn't give two fucks about taking you and having everyone here it, but since I'm me, I'd rather keep those sounds for myself." Percy said making me blush and laugh quietly hitting his arm as I lay back down with my head on his chest listening to his heart beating faster.

"Maybe one of these days I won't care myself and tell you to also not, but as of right now to not piss off anyone like Vex more, we should sleep." I say pulling the covers up over us snuggling into Percy. "Goodnight, Percival."

"Goodnight, Ophelia." He said kissing my head softly before we both drifted off to sleep.

"Good morning, everybody." Keyleth said as she spun into the dining area. Only to be answered by mostly grumbles from everyone.

"Why?" Vex asked where she was seated two chairs over from me on the other side of Percy. Scanlan was sat in front of me and Pike and Grog were at the other table.

"Why is she yelling?" Scanlan asked resting his head in his palm.

"Oh, good morning, Vax." Keyleth said as Vax had a plate and was carrying a piece of bread in his mouth.

"Morning." Vax mumbled out to her as he walked over to sit next to Grog, who struck out his arm nailing Vax in the dick, making him drop his food and fall to the ground in a cry of pain.

"Seven to two." Grog said laughing as he smiled at an in-pain Vax who pulled himself halfway up.

"I never agreed to this stupid game." Vax said glaring at Grog, as he climbed into his chair.

"Must you at breakfast?" I asked with a light roll of my eyes.

"We can't all be aloof tight-asses, like you and de Rolo." Scanlan said motioning to us as he spoke with his mouth full making me scrunch my nose.

"She's simply suggesting you could all benefit from some well-practiced restraint." Percy said wiping his mouth with a napkin speaking in my defense.

"Emotions aren't meant to be bottled up." Vex said as she hugged her bear trinket next to us. "Maybe you two should cut loose once in a while." The conversation was ended when we heard a pounding on the front door.

"Hello?" I could hear Lady Allura call from the front of the keep. "Uh, Vox Machina?"

"It's stuck." Keyleth said as we tried to push open the door to get to lady Allura.

"These old hinges are rusted." Vex said as she also pushed against the door.

"Grog, give it a little shove?" Pike asked the goliath.

"Yep, one sec." Grog said as he backed up and we all backed away so he could push the door, and he did push it open, off the hinges crashing into the wall missing Lady Allura by not much.

"Lady Allura, welcome." Vax said scratching the back of his head nervously. "Hope you didn't feel the need to bring a housewarming present."

"I didn't. Alas, I'm only here to remind you that Sovereign Uriel expects you at his dinner." Allura said.

"Oh shit. That's tonight?" Vex asked

"Finally." Percy and I said at the same time with a smile at each other.

"A proper evening. That I can actually dress up for again." I said excitedly.

"That will have proper protocol and civilized conversations." Percy said making me laugh softly and roll my eyes.

"It's more than just a party. Dignitaries from across the realm are here to form a new security pact. We must put our best foot forward." Allura said

"Right. W-Which foot is that?" Grog asked as he threw his food over his shoulder making the plate shatter.

"Hey, Pike, want to be my date? I promise to be on my best-behavior" Scanlan said pretending to brush his hair from the sides of his face.

"O-Oh I'm okay." Pike said looking away with a light blush.

"Lady Allura, we appreciate the gravity of the situation and will present ourselves with the utmost dignity." Vax said trying to charm the woman in front of us bowing before elbowing Grog in the dick making me face palm.

"Good one. Seven to five." Grog said as he leaned over in pain.

"Five he was just at two." Keyleth said confused.

"Oh, yeah, that was a three-pointer. You see, the rules of ball-tag are as complex as they are beautiful." Scanlan said smirking.

"I-I shall brief them on royal etiquette and manners. Ophelia and I both will." Percy said stepping forward and escorting Lady Allura to the door.

"You have our word; nothing will go wrong." I said to her as I stood next to both her and Percy smiling as confidently as possible even when Grog fell face first into the ground whining about his balls. 

We spent most of the day training the group to be reserved, and charming... they still had their fall backs but there was only so much we could teach them in such a short amount of time. When early evening rolled around, we split ways and went to our rooms to get ready for the dinner. I had gone shopping a couple days earlier with the girls and we got our dresses. Keyleth had picked a pretty green dress that fell off the shoulders that I think matched her perfectly. Pike picked a white dress that went up around her neck with two open spots next to her shoulders and made her look like a true holy person. Vex picked a beautiful dark blue off the shoulder dress that had a slit up the side that was to die for with some gold accents around it. It took me the longest to pick out a dress but eventually I had found the perfect one. It was a dress that had a black floral design that was see through on the sleeves that ran down my arms and was on the bottom of the dress. It was an off the shoulder dress and the middle area between my chest and the bottom floral designs was red I accompanied that with some black rose earrings and a black silk ribbon that I tied around my neck as a necklace, finishing it off with some red gloves over my hands. I also ended up altering it a little bit and added a slit up both sides of my legs so that I could keep my blades strapped underneath my dress. As I was pinning my hair up with some blood red roses, I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in." I said as I stuck my tongue out on the side of my mouth as I focused on putting the rose in the back of my hair where I had it up in a messy bun with some braids framing the sides of my face tied back into the bun also. I head a chuckle and then Percy's gloved hand gently took the rose from me and put it into the spot I had been trying to reach.

"Better?" He asked as he sat on my bed while I turned to him.

"Much, thank you. How do I look." I said standing and twirling around in a small circle.

"Absolutely breathtaking, Ophelia." He said standing as he walked towards me and moved a small piece of hair hanging in my face tucking it behind my ear.

"You look pretty good yourself, De Rolo." I said smiling. Percy was in what could have almost passed for normal attire, except he was dressed in a black dress up shirt, brown pants, his black boots, and a black tailcoat with gold trim designs on the edge with some buttons and white gloves. Reaching up I fixed his jacket brushing off his shoulders lightly of any dust.

"Are you ready to mingle with nobles again, love?" Percy asked as he held his arm out to me.

"More than ready." I said smiling and linked my arm with his as we walked to meet up with the others before heading to the dinner together.

"Remember what we practiced." Percy said to the group as he rested his other hand on my arm that was still linked through his.

"Be reserved, be charming. Protocol." I said and sighed facepalming slightly when Vax and Grog curtsied.

"Just follow our lead." Percy said with a sigh himself as we headed up to the window to check in.

"Sorry. If you brought weapons, they must be checked." The soldier at the window said staring at all of us. We all looked at each other before dropping our weapons in front of the soldier. Percy covering me for a second while I moved my dress to grab the weapons strapped to my upper thighs.

"Come on, Percy, some of us want to see what she's got on under her dress too, not just you." Scanlan said winking at me as I shook my head and shoved him toward the door after setting down my weapons.

"I am not for your eyes, Scanlan." I said with a roll of my eyes as I hooked my arm into Percy's again who gave Scanlan a look that could kill.

"From Emon, Vox Machina?" The introducer introduced us to the guests that were already in the room.

"Is that all you got?" Scanlan asked as he walked further into the room, "Allow me." He then cleared his throat "Vox Machina, champions of justice, hunters of dragons, destroyers of chastity."

"Right, let's stick together." Percy said as he and I walked closer to Scanlan leaning down for him to hear Percy as he spoke quietly to him. "Or you know, do whatever." Percy said as he stood straight again, and everyone had disappeared.

"You'll need this love." I said handing Percy a glass of champagne while taking a sip of my own.

"Tonight, can't go to horrible right?" Percy asked wrapping an arm around my waist as we walked through the crowd.

"I absolutely hope not." I say resting my head on his shoulder for a second.

"This is fantastic though. Diplomates are here from all over Tal'Dorei." Percy said smiling at me as we looked over the room.

"There's Fort Daxio, Kymal, Westruun. Even..." I got interrupted as the introducer spoke again making Percy and I both freeze.

"From Whitestone, Lord Sylas and Lady Delilah Briarwood." The introducer spoke. Gasping I whirled around at the same time as Percy in time to see the Briarwoods walk into the dinner party. I clutched Percy's arm with one hand as I felt the room closing in on me and my breathing picked up making me feel like I just couldn't breathe as I started to hyperventilate, I could feel Percy next to me move like he meant to grab his gun, but I was too close to be having a panic attack for me to really react to him.

"Percy? Ophelia? What's wrong?" Vex said grabbing both our shoulders bringing us back to reality as we turned away from the Briarwoods.

"It's... it's them." Percy said as he gripped my waist tighter.

"Whitestone was our home." Percy said, "Ophelia might have lived on the outskirts of Whitestone, but still it was her home too."

"Those fiends stole that home from us though, they took everything from both of us." I said as I felt Percy tighten his grip around my waist pulling me closer. "Well, I not everything. I still have Percy." I said looking up at him.

"What do you want us to do?" Vax asked as he stepped closer to us gently resting his arm on my shoulder. "Should we say something? To Uriel?"

"We can't." Percy said looking away anguished.

"Looks like they're staying overnight." Vex said looking behind us.

"Why don't I make myself scarce and slip into their chambers?" Vax asked us, "See if I can figure out what they're up to."

"Yeah, sounds like a plan." Scanlan said, "But in case of trouble, we should have a safe word. Grog, suggestions?"

"Right. The sage word is 'chenga.'" Grog said looking at all of us.

"Okay. My safe word's 'mommy.'" Scanlan said as Vax split walking away to make himself scarce as the rest of us went to go into the dining hall.

"And somehow you guys look worse every time we see you. Where's Vax?" Lady Kima asked as she stared at us.

"Oh, uh, he has the squirts." Scanlan said making me groan quietly in annoyance.

"I see. Delightful." Lady Allura said, "Well, if you'll follow me. Seats for the Sovereign's dragon slayers." She led us to some chairs that got pulled out... right in front of the Briarwoods. I clutched onto Percy's hand as a look of anger crossed his face.

"Ooh, shit's about to get real." Grog said from behind us.

"Attention please be given to our Sovereign Uriel Tal'Dorei III and Empress Salda Tal'Dorei" The introducer introduced as we stood from our seats.

"Nothing like a dragon attack to bring us all together, eh?" Sovereign Uriel said as he stood by his seat. "Thank you, everyone, for making the journey in. Please allow me to introduce our dining party. We have Arbiter Duala Juun, Master of Law. To her left, Seeker Assum..."

"Percy...P-Percy...Percy." Keyleth whispered at Percy across Scanlan.

"He and Ophelia keep staring at them like pervs." Scanlan whispered to Keyleth

"We cannot be caught unprepared again." Sovereign Uriel continued

"Percy, Ophelia, talk to us." I could hear Pike whisper a couple seats down before throwing a fork at us making a loud clanging noise on the table.

"We're fine." Percy and I say at the same time glancing at Pike.

"Oh, yeah, sure." Keyleth said obviously not believing us.

"Percy, Ophelia, I just say you walk over to the Briarwoods, say hello to break the ice, then punch them in the face." Grog said, "See what happens."

"Grog no." Pike said next to him.

"Eh, I don't hate Grog's idea." Scanlan said next to Percy.

"Uh, we have to wait." Vex said next to me, "Give Vax a chance to gather some intel." She said behind her fan.

"Have we, met before." Delilah asked as she set her glass down looking towards Percy and I.

"We haven't met. I'm Vex'ahlia." Vex said speaking up before Percy or I could, "I'm so sorry, what was your name again?"

"Delilah. What an absolute pleasure to meet the Protectors of the Realm. My husband Sylas." Delilah said motioning to Sylas sitting next to her.

"Charmed." Sylas said and Percy broke the glass he was holding in his hand by tightening his grip too much.

"Uh, those are beautiful beads. I have a set just like it, you know." Scanlan said next to Percy grossing Keyleth out once she figured out what kind of beads he was talking about.

"Interestingly enough we were not the original caretakers of Whitestone." Sylas said to Uriel.

"Of course, you're not." Percy and I muttered darkly.

"Tell me, have you heard how we became caretakers of Whitestone?" Delilah asked looking at us, "The official story is that city was administered by the de Rolo family until they succumbed to a rare disease. That sadly took out the Alastair family too, who would've taken over if they too didn't succumb to the disease. But I'm afraid the truth is, we concocted that tale to protect their legacies. The sad reality is that the families abdicated. They grew bored of ruling, and after their children in both families raided the treasury, they abandoned their people to rot."

"Liars!" Percy and I shouted as we stood, Percy banging his hand on the table angrily.

"Thank you, Sovereign Uriel, but I think we will retire for the night." Sylas said as him and Delilah stood from their seats.

"It was a lovely dinner. We especially enjoyed the company." Delilah said as she stared at Percy and me.

"Excuse us for a moment." Vex said as she and the rest of the group dragged Percy and I out from the dinner.

"Percival, Ophelia, what did we say about emotions?" Vex asked as the group looked at us concerned as we paced back and forth.

"You don't understand." I said with frustration in my voice.

"Then help us understand." Pike said gently taking my hand and Percy's in hers, as Grog put his hands on our shoulders.

"The Briarwoods..." I started to say trailing off as I looked at Percy who walked over and pulled me into his arms resting his chin on my head sighing.

"They murdered not only my entire family, but Ophelia's as well." Percy said shocking the entire group around us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 148 12
In a magical realm called Exandria is a group of mercenaries called Vox Machina. They're misfits turned mercenaries for hire taking jobs in Tal'Dorei...
500 23 8
It's been a year after the Giant War, and things are going great for The Seven and friends. But a twist in the middle of summer make things go from h...
104K 1.9K 52
*PLEASE - go read my REWRITTEN VERSION of this story (available on my account) instead of this one (which is old and poorly told) During the second G...
247K 5.5K 41
Book One: Violet Wilde's world changes forever once her wheel-chair ridden best friend grows legs during a fight with a creature Violet had only rea...