CounselorKoji

By ForsakenPrince_

A classroom of the elite fanfiction story that revolves around Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, who was the newly assigne... More

The New School Counselor
God met Outer God
Another normal day of the Counselor
A certain black haired girl's dilemma and the leisure time of the counselor
Invisible Weight in One's Heart

Short fuse

5.1K 320 128
By ForsakenPrince_

Sitting in my chair fixedly staring eye to eye with the other person inside the office—the atmosphere was a bit tense for a while now.

Sudou Ken, the name of the client referred to by Chabashira-sensei, wouldn't cooperate with me, instead. He always complained and is already in his last straw.

“Do you now realize the cause of your misfortune, Sudou-kun?” I calmly asked, but my eyes told a different thing.

“HOW THE HELL CAN I UNDERSTAND SHIT IF YOU KEEP BEATING AROUND THE BUSH!” he yelled.

I sighed internally.

Gosh. This guy is beyond help.

Aside from the fact that in his school assessment in the academic category, he has an outstanding grade of D. He also fantastically failed in grasping an idea logically.

Well, I guess that's expected from someone like him.

Sighed.

The counseling method that I used right now is the same approach that I did to aid one of his classmates, Yamauchi Haruki— the solution-focused brief therapy or also known as SFBT.

I calmly asked a few indirect yet relevant questions to the client, aiming for him to realize then questions himself about the root of the problem all on his own.

After all, at the end of the day, I'm just one of the people he will meet throughout his lifetime.

He is the only one who can help himself, not another person, just him.

However, all of my efforts turned out to be counterproductive as he didn't answer any of my questions, instead, he returned it back with pure hostility.

Truth to be told, I did expect him to be one of the clients, considering his behavior on campus and some baseless malicious rumors about him floating around.

This guy is hard to deal with. I got the feeling that if I directly told him about the problem, he would instantly respond with “So what!?” right in my face.

There is no reason for him to suddenly act modest, changing his aggressive attitude into a calm one.

Well yes. Due to his temper, he was summoned to my office but this is not enough.

It's not like he was threatened with expulsion if he'll continue his bad reputation…. Not now, at least….

But, I have a certain feeling that this guy still has slight redeeming features.

Not basing on the report and the complaints that I caught wind off to assess the student in front of me.

I tried looking at him in my own perspective.

Unlike those students in Class 1-C. It seems that he doesn't normally lash out at anyone without a reason. It may be a petty argument or a big one, but at least he didn't do it for fun or to act as a “King.”.

“Ahem.” I cleared my throat. “Sudou-kun?”

If he badly refuses to cooperate, which is highly needed for the solution-focused therapy, then he leaves me no choice but to change my approach.

The Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)

The mentioned approach was popular worldwide in its high success rates in dealing with negative behavior problems, and one of it is anger issues.

Alas, I'm also gonna use the confrontation techniques to force him to reflect about his wrongdoings for his own good.

I hated digging into other people's past since I dislike other people doing the same to me.

However, I have no choice but to resort to this.

“I heard that you were recommended to a certain high school with one of the best basketball teams in the country and was unfortunately rejected.” I paused. “What was the reason?”

“What's with that–”

“Just answer the goddamn question.” I coldly stated but remained a calm expression on my face.

I am well aware that I'm now violating one of the work ethics in my profession. But my reason is the same as usual: “It's for his own good.”

My gaze locked at his. Even though we're already been staring at each other for quite some time now, unlike earlier, my intention is different.

Eye contact is an extremely strong means of communication. Where right now, instead of the usual mature, understanding and a patient person, I channel my true dark self to him. Giving Sudou a warning that if he still won't cooperate, then I'm afraid he will suffer some consequences.

I noticed that he quickly changed mood.

From being a hot headed person since the time he arrived here, into someone that immediately put his guard up feeling a shred of danger in the air.

Yes, that's a good reaction, Sudou-kun.

He gulped. “I got involved in a fight.”

“Why did you get in a fight?”

“Because they pick up on me.”

“Why did they pick up on you?”

“Because they got jealous of me.”

“Based on your story, you're saying that some students were jealous because you got recommended in a certain high school then picked up a fight with you and you also fought back which turned into a huge trouble during your middle school days?” I paraphrase everything that he said.

“Yes!”

“Hmm, is there no other way to solve the issue without resorting to any form of violence?” I asked.

He tilted his head, confused about the question.

Brawn over brain, huh?

Not that I'm surprised or something.

Unfortunately it's a given.

“Let me rephrase the question then.” I said. “Why do you always choose to settle a small skirmish through fighting?”

“W-what do you mean?”

I tossed a folder to him in which he reflexively caught and then saw the bold font written in the middle of the close document.

Sudou Ken.

“You said that they are jealous of you. But that's only a page of your violent history in middle school, no?”

A hint of unease glimpse across his face.

“You have been involved in countless similar activities, not only in your school but also in your place. Every time someone tries to get in your way, you'll send them to the hospital without fail.” I dryly laughed. “What was your famous line again?”

“Uhm—” he stuttered.

“Wanna fight?” I interrupted him.

His eyes widened.

It seems that I hit the mark.

“........”

His hands were clenched tightly, and gritted his teeth.

Yes, endured it.

However I'm grateful for you, Sudou Ken. Since you're the first client that I wholeheartedly accepted, unlike the others that I just go along with the flow, letting them express their true feelings and give positive advice afterwards.

There is no need for sugar-coated words. I'll  show you how the world works in my own perspective.

I'm certain that the way I will handle Sudou-kun's problem from now on will undoubtedly raise concerns in the eyes of others.

However, I'm just simply being realistic.

He is not a kind kid, I know that. But he is at least a hardworking one and has his own goal in life, unlike a certain someone.

“I also know that not all of the conflict you're involved with is because of your talent, there was a time that you lashed out due to someone pointing about your family circumstanc—”

I was still not done stating the sentence when he suddenly sprung up from his seat and latched out my collar.

“Say that again I dare you.” he threatened me.

“If you'll let go in the count of three, I'm willing to overlook this.” I said. “But if you won't, I guess history will repeat itself, Sudou-kun.”

Large veins pop out in his neck and a bucket of sweats is clearly seen in his forehead.

“One.”

He didn't listen and his hand is still in my collar.

“Two.”

His grip becomes tighter than before.

If he tries to assault me, then he leaves me no choice but to pull his rug off in a matter of seconds.

“Thr—”

Fortunately, he let go, although in a forceful way, or else he can no longer use that arm in playing basketball.

I then fixed my collar and Sudou-kun returned to his seat.

“I'm telling you, Sudou-kun.” I said. “I know every crack and nook there is about you.” I leaned forward with my hands clasped with each other.

He avoided my gaze, looked the other way and clicked his tongue.

“That's why I'm here to help you.”

The moment I muttered those words, he reflexively looked at me, and caught a glimpse of the burning passion in my eyes.

“Well, all of the topics that we have discussed earlier are water under the bridge.” I said. “Basically, it's all in the past. What's important is the present.”

Sudou remains staring at me, attentively listening to every word that comes out of my mouth.

“Since you're admitted to this school, you haven't got involved in any kind of big fight yet, only a few arguments and other people's complaints about your aggressive behavior” I paused. “However, I'm afraid that something will happen sooner or later, and if you continue acting the way you are right now, it will be too late.”

“Your dream, your future, will be gone in an instant.”

“......” he gulped.

“For the time being, the others won't stand up to you because you're a tall guy and are also quite muscular and when a fight almost breaks out, there will always be someone that will intercept before it happens.”

“But what if, you'll find someone with the same anger issues as you and there will be no one to stop the fight, which resulted in him getting a few serious injuries.”

“Who do you think is at fault?”

“I–I don't know. I mean, doesn't it depend on who started it?” he gave his honest answer.

“Who initiated the fight is the least significant, Sudou-kun.” I corrected him. “Remember that no one in this school is infamous for getting in any sort of trouble out in the open, aside from you.”

“......What?”

Based on his reaction, it seems that he realized something.

“Also, it seems that you're quite confident in your fighting capabilities that you never questioned why I stated your opponent to sustain injuries.”

“Yeah.” he instantly nodded.

“And that makes things worse.”

To be completely blatantly honest. I'm just bluffing when I said that something will happen to him in the future.

Still, it's better to be safe than never.

This school was structured to make each class fight each other.

And there is a certain student that is good at grasping others ' weaknesses and using them to his own advantage.

The S-SYSTEM is yet to be revealed for the first year.

When they'll learn about its existence. The real competition will start.

“Do I still need to spell it out to you, Sudou-kun?”

“...uh–hm, please….”

“Your short-temperedness will only cause you nothing but trouble. That aggressive personality that couldn't think of anything aside from lashing out will endanger your dream, your future.”

Knock knock

Just as I was about to drop the hammer of judgment. A familiar noise of the old evergreen wood being hit by a knuckles was heard on the other side of the door.

Still having a hard time processing the truth. Sudou failed to hear the knock and had his face staring at the floor with both hands clasping his hair.

I then stood up from my seat and started walking towards the entrance of the room. But, before I head there, I stopped at the other person's side then lightly tapped his shoulder.

“Take your time to reflect.”

Twisting the door knob, I slowly spread the door wide open then saw a black haired girl with red gradient eyes standing on the other side.

“What can I do for you?” I asked.

“I came here to seek advice from Ayanokouji-sensei, but it seems that you're in the middle of work.”

“Yes, I'm currently dealing with a certain student,” I stated. “But if you don't mind, how about making an appointment?”

She didn't answer immediately and carefully pondered what to respond.

“I apologize, but I have to decline, Ayanokouji-sensei.” she bowed.

“It's fine, no worries,” I said. “If you ever need help, feel free to drop by.”

She nodded.

“Please excuse me.” then turned her back and began walking to the staircase.

What a strange one…. No, a normal student I guess.

I then closed the door and returned to my seat, facing the client.

“So, what now, Sudou-kun?” I asked. “Do you still need to remain the same person as before, or strive to change yourself from scratch?”

“B-but if I act meek, they will ridicule me. Calling me a coward or something.”

……….. Who on earth will even try to pick a fight with a large guy out of nowhere.

“Did you seriously believe that being the toughest guy out there, will make you an exception from the things you have said?” I asked. “Hah. Whether you're strong or not, people will always find ways to mess with your life. Listen, you can't control how the others see you, Sudou-kun. But you can change yourself.”

“.............” Sudou still remained facing the floor, not looking at me.

“Answer this question honestly then?” I said.

Being asked, Sudou slightly raised his head, enough for him to see my lips.

“Which sounds better?” I questioned. “Sudou, the violent bastard of Class 1-D? Or Sudou Ken, the promising basketball athlete of ANHS?”

I noticed that his eyes lit up, yes. That's what I'm waiting for.

“O-Oh-Of course, the second!”

“See?” I said. “No one wants to be seen in a bad light by anyone, even in the eyes of a bystander. That's human nature.”

“But–”

I reached out my arm and raised my index finger in front of him.

Predicting the client's next course of action is one of the don'ts in counseling. But what can I do, he is just very easy to read.

“If your concern is that your teammates will grow jealous of you because of your talent.” I clearly stated. “That depends on how you respond to their provocation. For example the professional athletes in the same sports as you, all of their skills are recognised throughout the world, but there will always be someone that will shine among the rest. How come his team didn't get in his way to steal the spotlight? Instead, they trusted him and he also trusted them. The synchronization of the group can be clearly seen in the game.”

“.............” he didn't say anything, only looking at me with full-anticipation of the next words.

“The answer is respect, Sudou-kun.”

“Respect?”

“Yes, respect.” – I nodded. – “He showed them that he is worthy of being the best player in the team. He didn't act cocky or anything. He remained humble while his opponents feared him in the court.”

“You can be that person, Sudou-kun. There is no need to yell when answering questions. There is no need to throw hands to solve every matter. Control your emotions. Show them your skill, crush their words in the court, throw back their label on you. You can go all out in the game, but remember to be cool-headed at all times.”

“Be humble. Work on yourself first and you will notice small positive changes happening around you.”

“I-I understand, sensei.”

Hate can grow into admiration.

And admiration can also easily turn into hate.

That's just how fragile humans are.

Change is constant, they said.

But I wonder if I am also capable of change.

--------------x

Thanks as always for beta-reading the chapter Inferno3054

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 11K 39
ဤ Fic သည် အရမ်းရိုင်းစိုင်းသော အသုံးအနှုန်းတွေကိုသာသုံးထားသော Big Warning 🚨18+ Fic တပုဒ်ဖြစ်သည် ။
559K 34.2K 98
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
176K 4.6K 20
Your daughter runs off while you were in the middle of grocery shopping because she spotted Max, her favourite driver. Meeting you, Max wants to know...
813K 37.6K 59
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...