The Skeleton Queen

By Carlos_G_Peralta

Necromancy: A sorcery that turns the dead into puppets. Because of its chaotic nature, it has been outlawed i... More

Author's Notes
Death Dance
The Bard
The Knight
Reveal
The Undead Kingdom
The Queen
A Mage and a Bard
Iron Pt 1
Iron Pt 2
Iron Pt 3
Bumva
Bumva Pt 2
Mind Reader
Wedding
Clash
Choice
Truth
News
Shopping
Return
A New Home
Disclose
Family
Initiation
Albarino Pt 1
Albarino Pt 2
Serenade
Busy Lives
Magicis Cenam
Loss
Winter
Visio
Solstice Pt 1
Solstice Part 2
Solstice Pt 3
Finis?
Nuevo Comienzo
Epilogue
Accolade(s)

Final Stops

110 19 172
By Carlos_G_Peralta

Will's right hand is guided by the bank teller to update his will in case he never returns. The beneficiaries were already his mother and father, but he wants to add one more person to the list. With help, he writes down that Bumva will receive his other mandolin and money. He signs his signature and they proceed.

The streets bustle with people going to shop for what they can afford. But they don't go alone thanks to a supply from the kingdom. Even the oldest of adults are wearing a metal blade as a traveling companion. Short to long, it doesn't matter. Anything to ward off a potential undead uprising.

The bard takes note of the missing sounds as they pass by a school. No laughter from children playing. No teachers scolding bad behavior. Not even a footstep.

Because of the necromancer, the kingdom shut down the school. No options for tutors as a safety precaution and children were told to stay inside. Parents were forced to adjust their homelives with Sindedrid and her husband being one of them.

He remembers trying to cheer up his niece when he babysat for them....

Sighs followed after flipping another page of her math book. He got Nerdeani out of the chair and played several songs for her to dance to. Although the stress was alleviated, it came back. Her orange irises shook from the thought of never seeing her friends again.

"Uncle Will?"

"Yes?"

Her hands clenched with welled up eyes. "If Drago and the others couldn't stop her, who can?"

He stopped playing to get to her knee level. His long arms embrace her tightly. "Things will work out. You will be able to play-"

Tears dripped to the floor as her small arms tried to reach each other. "What if they send mom?"

He kissed the top of her daylight hair. "I will not allow them to send her. I promise you that."

"And you?"

He threw her up in the air multiple times to get her to laugh. "Phineas would be a better option than me. Engla needing me would be hilarious....."

He almost chuckles to himself that Engla needs him after all. But he stops the laughter. He imagines his niece's heart breaking. But this next stop will break two at the same time.

A plantation the size of a football field welcomes them with melons, corn, yellow squash, and radishes. In the middle of it all, a dug trench serves as a border. Near the home is healthy crops. On the other side, a midnight black color rules the rest with flies buzzing about.

The bard motions the others to stay outside while he knocks on the door of a lofty house. A man in his late 50s that resembles the bard comes out. He sees his son and embraces him.

"My boy! It's good to"- He sees a knight with some guards present. "Are you in trouble?"

Will shakes his head. "Not this time, father. Is mother around?"

"William!" His mother comes out and hugs him as well.

"Mother, father. We need to talk. Can we go inside?"

His parents can tell from the tone that he's serious. They close the door for a private conversation.

Not even a few minutes later....."WHY?! NOT MY BABY!"

The cry of his mother startles them all. The fear of worry from the parents while their son tries to soothe them. Sniffling and tears occupy the house of three. The minutes that pass feel like hours. Dorothea grabs onto his son's torso, refusing to let him leave. James Bennett tries to pry her hands away while hurting at the same time.

William was their only child. A miracle that the couple was waiting for all those years together. The possibility of losing him weighs heavy on every fiber of their bodies. 

Will kisses his mother's puffy cheeks and tilts her chin up to face him. Despite his white pupils, he smiles through them with determination.

"Your baby will return in four days. I will tell you all that I've gone through. I'm the proud son of James and Dorothea Bennett after all!"

A chuckle escapes his parents' lips. Dorothea found strength from his words, letting him go to be on his path.

William exits the house with his parents behind him. His mother's reddened eyes and puffy cheeks give away her feelings. His father's face is flushed white as he holds onto her.

"Mr. and Mrs. Bennett, my name is Garth. I will help your son-"

"Guarantee his safety," his mother demands.

"Dorothea, he can't do that," her husband gently tells her.

"James, he could at least try! He's my only child. My miracle. So please. I'm begging you," she pleads.

He gazes at her with confident emeralds. "I promise you."

Will turns to his parents and embraces them one more time. He rubs their backs with his hands.

"When I come back, I will look into getting married."

"You better. Don't make me a grandma too late."

"I won't. I thank you both for being there for me this whole time. You are the best parents in the world."

His arms and body drift away from them. Her mother reaches out, but the smile on his son's face gives her comfort. The bard and the knight ride to their final destination.

"Send that monster to hell!" his father shouts with a lump in his throat.

"I will!" the bard shouts back.

James and Dorothea watch on as their son leaves their sight. They hold each other tightly, praying that their miracle will return.

---

Sniffling and tears hit the floor as he walks inside the guild hall with Garth. He almost gets tackled by Hastrabena who holds him tightly by the waist.

She raises her head with crying auburn eyes. "Tell me it's not true."

He finds her head with the back of his hand. He strokes her braids softly. "I can't lie to you. I'm with good company. Garth the Gallant is right behind me."

Her eyes shoot wide open and smiles in relief that he won't face the monster alone.

"I will attack her head-on while he provides support from the back," Garth assures her and the others.

Despite the assurance, the dwarf takes Will's hand. "What if I marry you-"

"You deserve someone who's ready to settle. Cheer for me as I leave."

She takes in a deep inhale to draw strength from him. "I'll try."

"That's the spirit."

He makes his way to Yarlg, Yang, and Sindy who's being embraced by her husband and daughter. 

Nerdeani runs out to the bard with outstretched arms and tears dripping. "Uncle Will!"

He crouches down and she jumps onto him. He holds her close.

"Please don't go!" she cries.

He pats her back. "Nerdeani, Garth is going to help me pick the most beautiful flower to return with. Would it look good in my hair?"

The dwarven girl manages to giggle from the imagery. Sindy grins that he's breaking the sadness in the room.

"I don't think it would suit you."

"Who knows for sure? I will bring you a flower as well. I have a mission for you."

He lets go and Nerdeani wipes her tears away. She narrows her eyebrows together to get serious. "I'm ready!"

The enthusiasm makes her parents smile. 

"Can you help me pack?"

"I want to help too," Yang adds.

"Don't want you to be disorganized out there," Yarlg adds on as well.

"Let's do it then."

The five walk to his room and help him pack. With Nerdeani's help, the four pack essential clothes into a suitcase to go with his knapsack.

"Do you have your extra weapon?" the rogue asks.

Will pats over the chest of his guild jacket. "Always. Thanks for the recommendation for that."

"Got your battle spirit?" the orc asks.

Will taps his heart, stomach, and throat before performing a battle shout to the top of his lungs. Yarlg and Nerdeani laugh.

"Why can't you let me have this one?" the bard inflects with a playfully annoyed voice.

"Is there anything else I can do?" Sindy inquires.

"Can you help me write a message for Bumva, please?"

"Definitely." He tells her what to write and she finishes. "Also, try to stop her from coming after me. I don't want to face her when she's furious."

"I will try. Bye for now," her voice drops.

He hugs each of them. Yarlg lifts them all up for a bear hug.

"Kind of tight," Will exhales.

The orc puts them down and they escort him back to Garth. The rest of the hall looks on as their guild member will be going to a place that he may never return from. Will gets out his mandolin and plays a hearty tune. He jumps onto a table and bangs on his instrument with his hand to establish a rhythm.

"No need to cry, my guild
For it's not my blood to be spilled.
I hear the Skeleton Queen is quite mean,
But with my magic, her clock will be cleaned!

A few chuckles come out of their mouths from the rhyming. His voice rises as he picks up the pace with his quick fingers.

"I'm known by many a name, but my name is William Bennett
That necromancer will wish that we have never met!
I will return by the sharp blade of Garth,
to drink plenty of mead by the hearth!"

The guild claps along as tears dry. The blind bard smiles as he feels their courage rising. He keeps in mind that Nerdeani is in the crowd.

"We will be kissed by women in line,
some will claim my heart as "mine",
My heart loves any a woman with a kind soul,
Yet I will not be controlled!"

Sindy and the others laugh at the last line. Hastrabena's face turns crimson as their night together revisits her mind. His former lovers that include elven, human, and cat-like mages, swoon as they try to touch him. Garth rolls his eyes in annoyance.

William walks on top of a chair and rides the momentum down with ease. His fingers strum at a rapid pace and he suddenly stops. A slow and gentle melody comes forth. His voice lowers to match the speed.

"This is not a good-bye,
So let your eyes be dry.
There are more memories to be made,
More time to rest under the shade.

Feasts aplenty for my stomach to devour,
This mission won't be my final hour.
I will return for more songs,
Might even correct some wrongs.
This is not a good-bye,
So let your eyes be dry."

He holds the last note and bows. The hall erupts in thunderous applause. His former flames, excluding Hastrabena, come up and kiss him on the cheeks.

"Thank you for giving me luck, ladies!"

He turns around and leaves while raising his mandolin in the air. Yarlg counts down to everyone and a collective battle shout almost shakes their home. The bard turns back and gives them a smile.

"I will sing you all a story of victory when I return! Take care!"

Garth helps him onto his horse and head off towards the main gate.....

Will's ears perk up. The long strides and pace of the owner are familiar. He taps Garth on the shoulder to stop. The guards and Garth find a man dressed in a flamboyant red outfit with his own mandolin. Lipstick kisses are all over his face as he catches his breath.

"Will, I'm glad you're still here. I got your message from Madame," Claude pants while adjusting his black ponytail.

"Glad to hear your voice, teacher."

Claude straightens up with an inhale. "I'm no longer your teacher. We are equals. Not only when it comes to the fires of love, but life as well. I want to play you off as you leave. A song of heroism to suit your journey!"

"Thanks. That means a lot. Oh, this is Garth-"

"The Gallant?! I played songs dedicated to your adventures. Would you like me to--"

He cuts him off. "No thank you, Claude. Send us off properly."

"Certainly."

He walks alongside and strums a rousing song of bravery to encourage their spirits. Will lets the music settle between his ears to never forget it. Every chord and every strum on the strings.

They reach the main gate which opens outward. A near infertile valley with a smidgen of flowers lays before them as a breeze rolls by. The music stops.

"Looks like it's time," Claude says while fighting a lump in his throat. He hears footsteps on the ground. Will walks towards him with outstretched arms. The bard embraces his former pupil.

"I won't be gone for long. I trust you to lift up their spirits while I'm out."

"You can count on me," he whispers.

Will hops back on the horse. However, he's facing backwards. Claude cannot help but laugh.

"What? I did that on purpose."

Will takes out his mandolin and strums the strings. Claude plays in harmony with him as he sees them trot out onto the path towards the haunted castle. 

To think you would get this far, kid. No matter what happens, I'm proud of you, the bard thought as tears hit his instrument. He doesn't stop playing as memories of training William flood his mind.

Although it wasn't easy at the beginning, he's thankful to have impacted the young child at a desperate time in his life. The child also impacted him in an unexpected way. He just wishes there was more he could do to help him.

Will's notes are barely audible now, but he doesn't quit as he plays louder with his entire heart. He then finishes by holding a note. He puts a hand to his ear to hear his former pupil, but silence is the only response. He wipes his face as the main gate closes.

You better make it back to tell me about your adventure. We will compose legendary songs that no one can best!

He walks backwards for a bit before leaving for the guild.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 5.3K 37
Unknown to the average human world, there is a place where every supernatural being that fuels nightmares resides. Shielded completely from prying ey...
2.3M 99.5K 56
👑1 in Queen Series👑 (Warning: Dark themes & sexual assault) I will have you...all of you, Esmerleda," he said as his eyes raked over my body. I tr...
3.4K 139 16
A necromancer will do anything to win the pharaoh's love. The pharaoh must do everything to save his country. And a beautiful slave from North Dakota...
53 0 12
Necromancy is a cursed art of a cursed art. The blackest category under the already forbidden practice of magic. Necromancers seek out the weak and k...